Woman accused of killing Florida lottery winner sued by victim's estate

Oct 14, 2011, 5:47 pm (34 comments)

Florida Lottery

TAMPA, Fla. — The estate of slain Lakeland, Florida, lottery winner Abraham Shakespeare has filed another lawsuit against the woman accused of killing him.

The latest lawsuit, filed last week in Tampa's courthouse, accuses Dorice "DeeDee" Moore of taking more than $1 million from Shakespeare.

The estate is seeking 121 items, including many pieces of jewelry, a Rolex watch, six computers and two cameras.

The valuables were seized by Hillsborough County deputies during the investigation into Shakespeare's death. Moore wants these items returned to her. She claims they are her personal property and were not part of any illegal activity.

Randall O. Reder, a Tampa lawyer, has been representing Moore in her civil lawsuits.

Reder said he hasn't been paid for his services and is helping Moore to reclaim her property so she can raise money to pay for her defense.

Moore has been declared indigent, and her criminal case is being handled by the Office of Criminal Conflict and Civil Regional Counsel.

A hearing has been set for Nov. 21 on Moore's request. Her murder trial is set to begin in March 2012.

Moore is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Shakespeare. If convicted as charged, she could receive life imprisonment.

Shakespeare won a $17 million lump-sum lottery payment in 2006.

Investigators say Moore befriended Shakespeare and took control of his remaining fortune, according to an affidavit.

The 43-year-old man's body was found Jan. 28, 2010, underneath a concrete slab behind a home off State Road 60 south of Plant City. He had been shot twice in the chest.

In addition to filing last week's lawsuit in Tampa, the lottery winner's estate also has several pending lawsuits against Moore in Polk County.

These lawsuits claim mortgages on properties were fraudulently transferred from Shakespeare to Moore's medical staffing company, American Medical Professionals.

One property is Shakespeare's Lakeland home on Red Hawk Bend Drive, which he purchased for about $1.07 million in 2007.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

The Ledger

Comments

sully16's avatarsully16

She makes me sick, I hope the family gets everything they are asking for, above all else, I hope they find peace and happiness in their lives.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

In the picture I think she's trying to raise her hand to get the judge's attention so she can complain about what the prison hairdresser did to her, LOL.

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

She's a worthless piece of "Dung", To bad they could give her the same fate she gave to Abraham, in the same manner..!!

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

Guilty until proven innocent...  Judge not ...  U don't know the facts and yet you condemn someone....  What a bunch of haters...

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

temptustoo, One can hate the crime and voice such. Sorry but This story has been followed since its implications turned into full blown charges with EVIDENCE to boot. Obviously you are not a supporter of freedom of speech.

people believe everything they read from a story.. No one has yet to hear the other side of the story and people are judging some one they do not even know..  Pretty pathetic to believe the Media and not even know all the facts ,,, Calling someone horrible names as if she is guilty.. Give her a day in court .. Then say what you will...  Full Blown Charges from who  ...   Cops who lie and fake evidence.. Wake up and smell the coffee honey. Don't believe everything you read..

You are right "honee"! I don't beleive what you wrote so all is well in the world. 

Now back to reality, facts are facts no matter who wrote them or spoke of them.

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

Finding someone under a concrete slab with 2 bullets in their chest and all of their money secreted away just leaves no room for doubt.  He was found on her boyfriend's property.  If it was MY brother or son, I would take everything that I thought they had gotten with his money. 

I hope they throw the book at her sorry tail.  She took advantage of a person because they were not as smart as she.  He got killed because, even though it took a while, he finally figured out what she had done him and told her.  She should rot in hell.

CLETU$

DeeDee was easier on the eyes as a blonde.

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

The evidence is compelling....and a man is DEAD. She is due her day in court.....her final destination....on the escalator going.....down.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by temptustoo on Oct 15, 2011

Guilty until proven innocent...  Judge not ...  U don't know the facts and yet you condemn someone....  What a bunch of haters...

tempy babe put her in a chair and plug it in and throw the switch and only then give her her day in court...up above..

CLETU$

people believe everything they read from a story.. No one has yet to hear the other side of the story and people are judging some one they do not even know..  Pretty pathetic to believe the Media and not even know all the facts ,,, Calling someone horrible names as if she is guilty.. Give her a day in court .. Then say what you will...  Full Blown Charges from who  ...   Cops who lie and fake evidence.. Wake up and smell the coffee honey. Don't believe everything you read..

We heard several "other sides to the story".Her boyfriend killed him.Her 14 year old son killed him.Anyone that would put the blame on her own son is an EVIL,EVIL WOMAN!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I can read evil wimmins. I been married to a few of 'em. They mamas was all evil too. She's a liar and she's guilty.

I'd tell her to have a seat on "Old Sparky" and then I'd fry her up extra crispy.

Figured my comment would stir up the pot.. He-He-He..LMAO

Figured my comment would stir up the pot.. He-He-He..LMAO

Simply put...How pathetic to mislead folks in your tirade, you and Deedee have much in common now that I think about it.

unclebob65's avatarunclebob65

i hope she gets what is coming to her for what she did

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

I hope the judicial system is in fine working order on her day there.

Simba774

If this woman is innocent...my new neighbor is Jimmy Hoffa! You do not have to be there when the crime took place to know this woman is a cold-blooded killer. You know she claimed her own lawyer did it? You know she claimed her son did it? I guess the state should indict them too, even though they were nowhere near the crime scene when the murder took place! You know the woman has changed the story many times? You know she was pretending to be him, so the victim's family would not think he was dead? You know all evidence points to her? You know only she knew where his body was? Those are the FACTS.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Oct 17, 2011

If this woman is innocent...my new neighbor is Jimmy Hoffa! You do not have to be there when the crime took place to know this woman is a cold-blooded killer. You know she claimed her own lawyer did it? You know she claimed her son did it? I guess the state should indict them too, even though they were nowhere near the crime scene when the murder took place! You know the woman has changed the story many times? You know she was pretending to be him, so the victim's family would not think he was dead? You know all evidence points to her? You know only she knew where his body was? Those are the FACTS.

Amazing what the love of money can do to some people. Tragic. Sad.

Stack47

"Investigators say Moore befriended Shakespeare and took control of his remaining fortune, according to an affidavit."

I hope everybody that says they will get a financial adviser before validating their ticket reads this article. It's worse than a "hello Bernie, I just won a $50 million lottery jackpot and want you to invest it for me" conversation but either way a fool and their money are soon parted.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Oct 17, 2011

"Investigators say Moore befriended Shakespeare and took control of his remaining fortune, according to an affidavit."

I hope everybody that says they will get a financial adviser before validating their ticket reads this article. It's worse than a "hello Bernie, I just won a $50 million lottery jackpot and want you to invest it for me" conversation but either way a fool and their money are soon parted.

I don't care how long it was, he should have hit the books.  He didn't know how to read, spell or count, which is really bad with that kind of cash.  Of course this does not excuse what she did, she deserves to rot prison. I'm saying I wish he would've went back to school. When you're not book smart, people take advantage of you. They also take advantage when you're not street smart, which he probably was, but you need both.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Oct 17, 2011

Amazing what the love of money can do to some people. Tragic. Sad.

Yes, it is. We always talk about how we're going stay on track when we win.

Stack47

I don't care how long it was, he should have hit the books.  He didn't know how to read, spell or count, which is really bad with that kind of cash.  Of course this does not excuse what she did, she deserves to rot prison. I'm saying I wish he would've went back to school. When you're not book smart, people take advantage of you. They also take advantage when you're not street smart, which he probably was, but you need both.

It's sort of ironic that some of the arguments against state lotteries are happening. There was a similar story in Ohio where a man murdered after winning a couple hundred thousand.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Oct 18, 2011

It's sort of ironic that some of the arguments against state lotteries are happening. There was a similar story in Ohio where a man murdered after winning a couple hundred thousand.

I never heard about the the man in Ohio.  Very tragic, too. Showing your face also puts you in danger, but people still continue to do it. I know most states claim you must do it, but that's not true.  Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe you can have your lawyer claim it no matter where you live.  Making too may new friends is a bad idea also. I wouldn't mind winning tonight's PB of 124 million, but what is a guarantee, you won't see me on television and I won't make a hundred friends.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Oct 19, 2011

I never heard about the the man in Ohio.  Very tragic, too. Showing your face also puts you in danger, but people still continue to do it. I know most states claim you must do it, but that's not true.  Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe you can have your lawyer claim it no matter where you live.  Making too may new friends is a bad idea also. I wouldn't mind winning tonight's PB of 124 million, but what is a guarantee, you won't see me on television and I won't make a hundred friends.

"but what is a guarantee, you won't see me on television and I won't make a hundred friends."

How about just one new friend if you win?   Bandit

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Oct 14, 2011

In the picture I think she's trying to raise her hand to get the judge's attention so she can complain about what the prison hairdresser did to her, LOL.

I think she looks a lot better....that other haircolor was awful and she appears to be taking advantage of the prison's exercise program and workout facilities. Definately on her way to being rehabilitated #crazylady...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by DelmarvaChick on Oct 19, 2011

I think she looks a lot better....that other haircolor was awful and she appears to be taking advantage of the prison's exercise program and workout facilities. Definately on her way to being rehabilitated #crazylady...

They used to say that "Blondes have more fun."

I guess she found out that that ain't necessarily so.

I like pony tails to hang in the back though, instead of in front of the face (unless they have a face like tiggs).

corius$1918!

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Oct 17, 2011

If Dee Dee Moore was a licensed Financial Advisor she's not representative of the hundreds of thousands of Financial Counselors who are legitimate/ethical practicioners of their profession. From what I read of this story, Moore befriended Shakespeare after he won and claimed money publicly by first paying someone (I believe article stated a police officer) money for informing her of his residence and other identifying infomation. 

One purpose for speaking with Financial advisors, Tax accountants or tax representatives, lawyer or estate planning people is to view and weigh the various options available to you for YOU to decide which plan if any makes the best possible decision for your future in method money is claimed based on what your purpose and plans you desire for the money to do for you and/or your family, friends, church or charitable organization that you care about.  Most consultations are no charge or minimal charge.  You are not obligated to that person unless you sign a contract for services.  The method you claim  winnings (based on your longterm intention of what you want money to do for you, can result in viarious tax consequences.

Texas Joey's avatarTexas Joey

I think She should get them same thing She did to him.   Hopefully the Mother and siblings will be able to get some of the money back.

Texas Joey's avatarTexas Joey

Hopefully they want see mine either.  I will keep my mouth shut about wining.

gonnawinwatchme's avatargonnawinwatchme

AMEN!!  Watching his mom on Lottery changed my life angered me.  Yes, he didn't deserve to die, but shame on her for sending her son out into the world, unprepared!!

Iwannawinbig's avatarIwannawinbig

I remember reading this sad story about Abraham. I read that he first off may not had been the owner of that ticket, some guy he worked with claimed it was actually his ticket, who knows if that is true, greed and envy can make people lie. And I also read how Abraham would pay for the funerals and burials of very poor people who could not afford to have funerals, wakes and burials for family members. And I recall about Ms Moore killing him and burying him under the concrete at her home, what a terrible demon she is. I never get killing people to take their money, it never makes no sense to me at all, who could do such a thing, you must be the most soulless self centered sloth to think you have the right to steal someone's money or possessions and harm or kill them to get at that. What an incredibly disregard for other people and their souls. I really think we live in a hell like world what with all the evil that occurs everyday. That's why you have to always be good and do right, unless of course you want to keep coming back to this lowly life and never getting closer and closer to Heaven.

Iwannawinbig's avatarIwannawinbig

Acrually if you read the stats on lottery winners a lot blow through their money and often have to declare bankruptcy. And these are people who can read, write, spell, count etc. Some people think they can splurge away when they win millions and that is what ends up making them lose all their money.

I know a couple here on LI won the huge PowerBall that was 300 million something, I read about them and saw them on "The Lottery Chaged My Life" show and I predict they will be broke within ten years, maybe less. They bought gold faucets and have a personal chef and spoil their daughters buying them everything their hearts desire, and just have bought lots of crap, not even things that will get more valuable overtime, that is insanity!!

My sister in law's brother won and he kept his job ( he will get a pension and health benefits after he retires), he lives in the home he grew up in, he does not go and buy ridiculous gaudy things, he is very wise and he even invested some of that money in a sure fire investment that is always gathering interest, it is a safe investment, not a get rich quick deal. Some people are very dopey when it comes to money, it can make even intelligent people act like buffoons who lack common sense. Me, I have my list written up of where my money will go, where I will invest, family, friends and strangers I will share my money with and I have decided I will spend like crazy for one week, nothing outrageous just lots of spending on things I need and then settle down after that. And I will have a budget.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by Iwannawinbig on Nov 8, 2011

Acrually if you read the stats on lottery winners a lot blow through their money and often have to declare bankruptcy. And these are people who can read, write, spell, count etc. Some people think they can splurge away when they win millions and that is what ends up making them lose all their money.

I know a couple here on LI won the huge PowerBall that was 300 million something, I read about them and saw them on "The Lottery Chaged My Life" show and I predict they will be broke within ten years, maybe less. They bought gold faucets and have a personal chef and spoil their daughters buying them everything their hearts desire, and just have bought lots of crap, not even things that will get more valuable overtime, that is insanity!!

My sister in law's brother won and he kept his job ( he will get a pension and health benefits after he retires), he lives in the home he grew up in, he does not go and buy ridiculous gaudy things, he is very wise and he even invested some of that money in a sure fire investment that is always gathering interest, it is a safe investment, not a get rich quick deal. Some people are very dopey when it comes to money, it can make even intelligent people act like buffoons who lack common sense. Me, I have my list written up of where my money will go, where I will invest, family, friends and strangers I will share my money with and I have decided I will spend like crazy for one week, nothing outrageous just lots of spending on things I need and then settle down after that. And I will have a budget.

Could you maybe cut your post down a bit..Your post are like reading a book..Try to get over yourself..tiggs will try to guide you along as we go along...from tiggs....Thanks....

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story