Cancer survivors win $20 million lottery jackpot

Nov 16, 2011, 8:36 am (25 comments)

California Lottery

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. — John and Norma Jean Crippen were revealed Tuesday as the lucky Coachella Valley couple who bought this past weekend's winning California SuperLotto Plus ticket valued at $20 million.

"I've been playing these same numbers for a number of years," John said at a news conference in San Bernardino.

The Crippens of Rancho Mirage have been married for 60 years. They have two children and four grandchildren.

John, who bought the ticket at a nearby corner Chevron gas station at 36-101 Bob Hope Drive, said he's regularly bought lottery tickets there since the couple moved to Rancho Mirage six years ago.

His winning numbers — 21, 22, 25, 28, 43, and Mega 12 — had no special significance, he added.

The couple's odds of winning the jackpot were about one in 41 million, lottery officials said.

"That's not bad odds," John said.

The Crippens opted to take a lump cash payment on the ticket valued at an estimated $14.2 million

Both John, 81, and Norma Jean, 78, are cancer survivors.

John said he successfully underwent treatment for cancer at Eisenhower Medical Center earlier this year and the pair plans to donate a portion of the winnings to the Rancho Mirage hospital.

Norma Jean said she beat breast cancer in the 1990s, following treatment at UCLA.

The couple also plans to donate to Southwest Community Church in Indian Wells, where they attend weekly services.

A fellow congregant was the first to inform them after church Sunday morning that someone had bought the winning ticket at the Rancho Mirage Chevron.

John has a career in sales, marketing and product development dating back to 1948.

He said he has tried retirement several times, but each time "it took a week for me to go back to work."

Norma Jean works as a housewife taking care of the couple's kids and grandkids.

She can't stay too active due to heart complications stemming from her cancer treatments, she said.

Even though they're now millionaires, John said he has no immediate plans to leave his current job with a down-and-feather business based in Irwindale.

It's up to his employer, he said.

"I always said that if I find myself not being a help to the business you won't have to get rid of me, I'll leave myself," he added.

Whatever John decides, the Crippens, who've watched the Coachella Valley grow over the past 40 years, say they're considering investing in solar and other technologies, as well as light manufacturing, to help spur more local jobs and development.

This is not the first time a winning ticket has been bought in the Coachella Valley.

In 2009, a ticket worth $7 million was purchased by John and Patricia Estrada of Desert Hot Springs at a Chevron mini-mart on Palm Drive, just south of the city.

In 2007, Coachella Valley resident Thomas Thornton purchased a winning $34 million Mega Millions jackpot ticket at La Quinta Liquor and Deli in the La Quinta Cove.

And, in 2004, Charles "Chuck" Bush of Lindsay was passing through the valley when he stopped at a Dillon Road Chevron in Coachella and bought a SuperLotto ticket.

That winning ticket was valued at $44 million.

Meanwhile, the Crippens said they are contemplating a cruise to Alaska sometime soon with the whole family.

One of their grandsons is a swim instructor whose student recently won two gold medals at the Special Olympics 2011 World Summer Games in Athens, Greece, they said.

Another grandson is about to graduate into the Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton, north of San Diego.

"So this is secondary," John said, referring to the winning ticket.

Nonetheless, he said he plans to keep playing the lottery.

"I'm planning to win again tonight," he quipped.

Desert Sun reporter Sherry Barkas contributed.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Desert Sun

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Congrats to The Crippens! Nice win! Best wishes to them! Thumbs Up

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Nov 16, 2011

Congrats to The Crippens! Nice win! Best wishes to them! Thumbs Up

Ditto!

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

Congratulations to the Crippens on their wins against Cancer and this recent jackpot win.

TheRightPrice

I am glad that they won.

But for me, I would not want to win when I am so old.

I want to win  NOW!!!!!!!!! while I can still enjoy the cash , like for real.Thumbs Up

petergrfn

Nice one... This family has many blessings to be Thankfull for this Thanksgiving!   Good Health,Grandchildren, and now a big Lotto win!  Congrats and remember to take time to thank GOD from who all blessings come!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I hope they know where all their kids and grand kids are because they'll be getting calls from people around the world claiming to be one of them in trouble and hurt and needing $1-$5K quick.  I've never won a lottery, never had kids and I got one this morning asking for grand pa's help.

pick4master

Congrats to you and your family.   The best way to win lotteries is to play the same numbers over and over again. Its beats anything that the so called bright mathematicians can come up with.  I have won lots of pick 3s and pick 4s by playing the same numbers.  Btw...60 is not old.  I know a rich 60 year old with a 30 something beauty. She broke up with her 30 something boyfriend because HE did not have money.  MONEY makes difference.

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by pick4master on Nov 16, 2011

Congrats to you and your family.   The best way to win lotteries is to play the same numbers over and over again. Its beats anything that the so called bright mathematicians can come up with.  I have won lots of pick 3s and pick 4s by playing the same numbers.  Btw...60 is not old.  I know a rich 60 year old with a 30 something beauty. She broke up with her 30 something boyfriend because HE did not have money.  MONEY makes difference.

John is 81,not 60.Norma Jean is in her late 70's.They have been married for 60 years.They ARE old.But that shouldn't mean that they can't enjoy the money.

ChaosX's avatarChaosX

It's nice to see a feel good story for a change. Cheers

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

always good to see winners like this couples congrats to them and bless them .

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Big Congratz Cheers

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Better late than never.

They seem like nice people, God bless 'em.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Nov 16, 2011

Better late than never.

They seem like nice people, God bless 'em.

I Agree!  Thumbs Up

weshar75's avatarweshar75

It is nice to see someone beat cancer and then beat the odds and win the lottery.  Congrats!-weshar75

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by ChaosX on Nov 16, 2011

It's nice to see a feel good story for a change. Cheers

I Agree!Noel

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

My loyalty to my numbers has paid nothing meaningful some 5 years on

*shrugs*

I shall keep playing them until the end of the world

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Nov 16, 2011

My loyalty to my numbers has paid nothing meaningful some 5 years on

*shrugs*

I shall keep playing them until the end of the world

"I shall keep playing them until the end of the world"

The end of the world?

The end of the world is December 21st of next year according to the Mayan Calendar.

But looking on the bright side, all the money you've spent won't matter cuz we'll all be dead.

Piaceri

Awe, congrats to the winning family. It sounds like a great family, too. 

Nice job playing the numbers for so long. It gives encouragement to the silly ones here who insist that winning numbers can be picked and QPs are for losers. Hippy

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

The end of the world?

The end of the world is December 21st of next year according to the Mayan Calendar.

But looking on the bright side, all the money you've spent won't matter cuz we'll all be dead.

good reason to take the lump sum,but then again whats the diff.?

i don't care about the the mayan cal. i think they they got busy fast w/an invasion.

can't wait to find out that its all a croc of #$@#

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the Crippens, Enjoy

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

The end of the world?

I would love the world to end next year as the Mayans predicted? that means I wont have to finish paying off my car loan and other obligations.

We all know I won't have hit the jp by the end of next year haha lets be honest about itWink

Tim Wins

it's the end of the current way of doing things around here, and the beginning of a much better life for all

CashWinner$

!! Super Awesome !! Congrats !!

Party

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to these cancer survivor winners.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

congrat's to John and Norma Crippen on both of their victories.Party

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story