Millionaire janitor must leave the job he loves

Nov 22, 2011, 8:35 am (17 comments)

After the Big Win

Includes video report

SEATTLE, Wa. — After being elected to the Highline School Board, a millionaire janitor who won the Washington lottery must now step down from the job he loves and the teams he coaches.

For more than twenty years, Tyrone Curry has cleaned the grounds and coached the kids at the Evergreen campus, but this school custodian just beat the sitting school board president for a seat on the Highline District's School Board and must resign before swearing in next month.

Curry said he's coached his entire life and hates that he has to give it up.

"It's tough," he said. "Basketball season just started and this is the first time I'm not on the court. It bothers me."

With just a $50 per diem when doing district duties, being a school board member is not a lucrative job, but money is not a problem for Curry.

On the verge of bankruptcy, the hard-working janitor raked in $3.4 million when he won the lottery in 2006.

After hitting the jackpot, Curry bought new cars, a time share and took care of his family and students, buying 40 new uniforms and putting up $40,000 for a new track.

(See Millionaire janitor buys school new trackLottery Post, Apr. 20, 2011.)

What he didn't do was quit his job.

"If you're not busy you get old, and I never want to feel that way," he said.

Curry said he's going to throw an ice cream social on his last day at the school, but he has to ask his wife first.

"We call my wife 'pockets' because she manages the money," he said.

Despite his big win, Curry still buys lottery tickets every week and said his next win will pay for a new school tennis court.

Thanks to hearsetrax for the tip.

KATU, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

JUST WANTED TO BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT! GOOD LUCK MR. CURRY!

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

he looks like a real hard worker who enjoys doing anything to keep busy/

glad to see him happy in video i think. and rofl at wife money nick name.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Best wishes to Mr. Curry!   Drum

Now, here is the story about the winning ticket in Pennsylvania ............... I just got finished signing the winning ticket and my wife turned on a fan & the ticket fell into the shredder !!!!!!!!  Big Smile

CashWinner$

Good for you on the new gig!!

I remember seeing the story of his win on tv a while back ... Seem like real good people .. Cheers Smiley

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

he's been on TLCML I remember him

best of luck on your future endeavours Cheers

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

The School Board should make an exception so this guy could hold both jobs.

But I imagine he's got enemies there for beating one of their crew.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Pennsylvania Lottery officials today announced that the Turkey Hill at 980 Wyoming Ave., Exeter, Luzerne County, sold the single jackpot-winning ticket for the $59.9 million Nov. 19 Powerball® drawing. 

markp1950

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Nov 22, 2011

Pennsylvania Lottery officials today announced that the Turkey Hill at 980 Wyoming Ave., Exeter, Luzerne County, sold the single jackpot-winning ticket for the $59.9 million Nov. 19 Powerball® drawing. 

I bought a ticket there last week and lost it.........

seanp

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Nov 22, 2011

Best wishes to Mr. Curry!   Drum

Now, here is the story about the winning ticket in Pennsylvania ............... I just got finished signing the winning ticket and my wife turned on a fan & the ticket fell into the shredder !!!!!!!!  Big Smile

People please stop being delusional. Anyone can win the lottery at anytime. You just gotta wait for your turn, but remember just because you play ain't mean you gonna hit the jackpot. That's why I advice anyone  o stop wasting 2 much money on the lottery, and save more money. Life is not as easy as the lottery commercial portray it. The lottery is a law of attraction which catches most anyone whose not smart with their money to play. This is why the poor people are getting poorer and the rich people are getting richer.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by seanp on Nov 22, 2011

People please stop being delusional. Anyone can win the lottery at anytime. You just gotta wait for your turn, but remember just because you play ain't mean you gonna hit the jackpot. That's why I advice anyone  o stop wasting 2 much money on the lottery, and save more money. Life is not as easy as the lottery commercial portray it. The lottery is a law of attraction which catches most anyone whose not smart with their money to play. This is why the poor people are getting poorer and the rich people are getting richer.

Some people don't get a joke ............... or hyperbole Crazy

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

With that type of money, he could start his own teams. I wish the best for Mr. Curry and his future endeavors!Hyper

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I guess it is time to settle down and relax for the winner.  It has been 5 years since his win so he needs to retire and go find a warm beach and a cool drink with his wife and forget about the kids for awhile.  Enjoy the money!-weshar75

Looks like he cleaned up big time.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

His story has been played a few times on air. Each time I admire his humbleness and his genuine desire to stay influential with the younger generations. He really does live a "wealthy" life that only few can do and its not the kinda wealth one can buy, its the wealth of respect and admiration from his family and career.

He is so right, his passion is his work , may he inspire in his new title as well. My hats off to this true gent!

(PS DPoly, I got your humor, glad you can make light of things )

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Nov 22, 2011

His story has been played a few times on air. Each time I admire his humbleness and his genuine desire to stay influential with the younger generations. He really does live a "wealthy" life that only few can do and its not the kinda wealth one can buy, its the wealth of respect and admiration from his family and career.

He is so right, his passion is his work , may he inspire in his new title as well. My hats off to this true gent!

(PS DPoly, I got your humor, glad you can make light of things )

I Agree! 

& Thank yinz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs Up (IDK what part of PA you are from)

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Dpoly, Here is your homework to find where I am near- Dec 31 2003 my town had a Grandwinner for Powerball(221.5mil), and again in Oct29 2008 we claimed another sole winner of the Powerball (58.6mil). My town is doubly lucky and I shall be the next! once I remember how I got to Fairfield County Connecticut during the power outage and got that winning ticket LOL! :)

I can say this for the Gent from Washington, HE really does have the right pattern for living life! No reason to quit something you love, and he does love what he does!

martingorgeous's avatarmartingorgeous

I reckon Mr. Curry, the millionaire janitor, must leave the job he loves because God wants more from him.Blue Angel

His coaching skills could surely be put to good use in charity work, like mentoring youth from poverty.Wink

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story