$200 MILLION: New Powerball delivers huge lottery jackpot

Feb 2, 2012, 7:18 am (111 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Wednesday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $200 million for Saturday's drawing.

Wednesday was the 11th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner — the fifth since the game format, prizes, and price changed.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $125.1 million. After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 3 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1 million prize: 1 from Kentucky, 1 from Pennsylvania, and 1 from Texas.

None of the second prize winners had purchased the Power Play option for an extra $1, which would have increased their second prize win to $2 million.  In fact, the game hasn't yet seen its first $2 million Power Play winner since Powerball changed the prize structure starting with the Jan. 18, 2012, drawing.

41 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 5 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, February 1, were 8, 13, 17, 34, and 59, with Powerball number 35.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 42 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$81,315,000 after 35% Federal Confiscatory Tax!

Woo Hoo ............... Green With Money On Saturday!

Dance

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Feb 2, 2012

Dance

Roll Eyes and live from the peanut gallery theater

mcginnin56

Keep on a rollin PB........KEEP ON A ROLLIN!!!   HyperBananaSun Smiley

Will someone from LP become the first $2 million winner this Saturday? Only if your willing to play $3/tic.

NightStalker's avatarNightStalker

Still not sure about the $2 a play, but $200,000,000 seems like it might be worth it . . .Sun Smiley

mightwin's avatarmightwin

So many people forget or don't know bout that extra 10% owed (25% withheld +10% at end of year).  I knew of someone who won $300,000 on a scratch off, gave his kids part of it but forgot/didn't realize his city wanted their cut too....ouch!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Feb 2, 2012

Keep on a rollin PB........KEEP ON A ROLLIN!!!   HyperBananaSun Smiley

Will someone from LP become the first $2 million winner this Saturday? Only if your willing to play $3/tic.

not on your life .......

Tickets are already too bleepin expensive Twitch

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by NightStalker on Feb 2, 2012

Still not sure about the $2 a play, but $200,000,000 seems like it might be worth it . . .Sun Smiley

Once you win....and are walking out the lottery office with your warm and freshly printed check, to your awaiting limo and champagne........It'll be worth the extra $1.     Banana

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 2, 2012

So many people forget or don't know bout that extra 10% owed (25% withheld +10% at end of year).  I knew of someone who won $300,000 on a scratch off, gave his kids part of it but forgot/didn't realize his city wanted their cut too....ouch!!!!

Here is Pennsylvania, there are no State or Local taxes on Lottery Winnings .......... just the Federal Confiscation

Drum

Just waiting for that wire transfer from Middletown Pennsylvania ................

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 2, 2012

not on your life .......

Tickets are already too bleepin expensive Twitch

Not everyone can afford to play the big lotteries........ or were meant to.   No No

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Guess one thing you could do is take that extra 10% (beyond the mandatory 25% federal tax initially takenBS) put it in a CD for 6 months or a year (if time permits). At least you get some interest income before Uncle Sam takes his cut(again).....Check to the IRS to be mailed on April 15th of the following year, of course. Patriot

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Dance

Well DP, I think I could live with 4% interest on 81 & change(3.2 million a year).....Actually I think I could give away 90% of the 81 million(leaving me with 8 million), spend a million on the house and toys etc etc and still live quite nicely on 4% interest off of the remaining 7 million.(roughly $280,000/yr  in interest income )....Okay, you talked me into it. I am going to buy a couple of tickets and win!   Wooo Hoooo Hurray!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 2, 2012

Well DP, I think I could live with 4% interest on 81 & change(3.2 million a year).....Actually I think I could give away 90% of the 81 million(leaving me with 8 million), spend a million on the house and toys etc etc and still live quite nicely on 4% interest off of the remaining 7 million.(roughly $280,000/yr  in interest income )....Okay, you talked me into it. I am going to buy a couple of tickets and win!   Wooo Hoooo Hurray!

Where are you getting 4% interest these days ?   Crazy

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Where are you getting 4% interest these days ?   Crazy

That would be chatting with a close friend and  former coworker now trustfund recipeint getting between 4-5 %  annually..I did see 8 out of 12  monthly checks he got this past year from the fund of 5 million.... have to ask the broker on that one

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by NightStalker on Feb 2, 2012

Let me see here...$2 in my pocket or potential $80,000,000 (I only deal in cash value figure not annuitized jackpot amount since hardly anyone takes that option)????  Hmmmm, $2 or $80 mil???? Wow that is a hard call for me to make.  Two bucks can't even buy a Happy Meal or even a gallon of gas!  But you could rent a Redbox movie, get a pck of Wrigleys chewing gum, a bottle of overpriced water, or one Chapstick.  $80 million can buy most anything you like.  $2 lasts not so long in most people's pockets/wallets/purses.  $80 million can go along way and could last the shrewd, ready to be a millionaire in mindset person a lifetime or even for several generations. Of course, the person comfortable scrapping by but just hoping to win a big jackpot could blow through that money in less than 5 years.  But it is the ride that counts and I don't think you will find many former broke lottery jackpot winners really, really sorry that they actually were lucky enough to win.  Money doesn't cause problems.  People's attitudes about it is what causes problems.  Just ask P BHO....he likes a lot of money, as long as it is coming from someone else's pockets! Party

I maintain a play in every drawing (thank you Illinois Lottery Subscription!!!) and I will go purchase some additional tickets because Illinois (at least as of last week) is running a special where if you purchase two plays on the same ticket, you get a free Little Lotto ticket (and that jackpot for today is $1,050,000...can you say WIN-WIN situation?!!!).  So just visualizing the numbers that will roll this weekend so I can go make my play of 1 own pick and 1 QP.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Once you win....and are walking out the lottery office with your warm and freshly printed check, to your awaiting limo and champagne........It'll be worth the extra $1.     Banana

The trouble with your plan is:you have to WIN first.Most people will NEVER WIN!They'll just keep on shoveling out $2 to Powerball.Notice that I didn't say $3,because it appears that few are buying the powerplay option.They are finding it to be to expensive!

That is why I wouldn't give any amount of winnings away to family or charity until Uncle Obama is satisfied at tax time.  Oops, did I say Obama?! I meant Uncle Sam!  Sure would be a shame to think your immediate money problems are solved only to find you have big IRS problems the next year after having been a generous family and community person.  Bet those family/friends/charitable orgs won't even know you if you say you need a few thousand back to pay your tax bill.  Of course, it would be the foolish person to give it all away because Uncle Sam doesn't care if you did give it all away to charity...he still wants his cut from you and will take any money in your bank accounts or even your house to get it.  But I love the IRS...gag, gag, gag!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Feb 2, 2012

The trouble with your plan is:you have to WIN first.Most people will NEVER WIN!They'll just keep on shoveling out $2 to Powerball.Notice that I didn't say $3,because it appears that few are buying the powerplay option.They are finding it to be to expensive!

You need to PLAN TO WIN, if your mindset is that you'll never win, then more likely than not....you never will.

I don't mind the "shoveling" of $2-3, because I have my eye on the prize. If you ask any major lotto winner if they regretted spending the sometimes thousands to achieve their win........ I think it would be a very short list.

Like anything in life that is very desirable, you cannot just go through the physical motions. You need to have passion, determination and Believe in your goals. Call it good karma, funneling positive energy, or just a shout out to the universal cosmos that your time has come and attract your dreams to you like a powerful magnet.   Dance

The greater the risk....the greater the reward. Life is short, don't settle for mediocre results. GO FOR IT!!!    BananaHyperBananaHyperBananaHyper

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

You need to PLAN TO WIN, if your mindset is that you'll never win, then more likely than not....you never will.

I don't mind the "shoveling" of $2-3, because I have my eye on the prize. If you ask any major lotto winner if they regretted spending the sometimes thousands to achieve their win........ I think it would be a very short list.

Like anything in life that is very desirable, you cannot just go through the physical motions. You need to have passion, determination and Believe in your goals. Call it good karma, funneling positive energy, or just a shout out to the universal cosmos that your time has come and attract your dreams to you like a powerful magnet.   Dance

The greater the risk....the greater the reward. Life is short, don't settle for mediocre results. GO FOR IT!!!    BananaHyperBananaHyperBananaHyper

Bull s&^t!

The lottery doesn't know if you "believe" or not.The only thing the lottery cares about is if you will pay the money to buy a ticket or not.Karma? Bull s%$^!

mcginnin56

Bull s&^t!

The lottery doesn't know if you "believe" or not.The only thing the lottery cares about is if you will pay the money to buy a ticket or not.Karma? Bull s%$^!

That is why my dear friend..... you will NEVER win. It is sad that you have such a limited appreciation for forces and powers, that simply because you cannot see them, you believe they do not exist. That is your loss.

Best of luck to you anyhow. We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs, I respect yours........ but will never even consider your negative and inflammatory position.   No No

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Hate these big jackpots. More money and another trip to the lotto booth.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

That is why my dear friend..... you will NEVER win. It is sad that you have such a limited appreciation for forces and powers, that simply because you cannot see them, you believe they do not exist. That is your loss.

Best of luck to you anyhow. We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs, I respect yours........ but will never even consider your negative and inflammatory position.   No No

The ONLY thing that will help you win is LUCK,pure and simple,LUCK.Doubling the price of a ticket is only lucky for the lottery,no one else.You can keep on believing in karma and I'll bet that you don't win,either.If you do,it will be because of LUCK and not karma or any other force or power!

mcginnin56

The ONLY thing that will help you win is LUCK,pure and simple,LUCK.Doubling the price of a ticket is only lucky for the lottery,no one else.You can keep on believing in karma and I'll bet that you don't win,either.If you do,it will be because of LUCK and not karma or any other force or power!

LUCK IS KARMA. Get it now? Wink

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

LUCK IS KARMA. Get it now? Wink

I PLAN TO WIN everytime I buy a ticket or I WOULD NOT buy the ticket!

My mindset has NOTHING to do with whether or not I win.

Get it now?

Artemis's avatarArtemis

I Agree!

mcginnin56

I PLAN TO WIN everytime I buy a ticket or I WOULD NOT buy the ticket!

My mindset has NOTHING to do with whether or not I win.

Get it now?

You do not PLAN to win the Powerball, as you already stated you thought it was to pricey. Therefore you cannot plan to win something you WILL NOT PLAY. Of course any other game you plan to win.....go for it!!! Now you get it???     LOL

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Dance

Welcome 2D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>LP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All U need now is $2.00 and DREAM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lot's of LUCK @ D lotto booth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$

Jack-in-the-Box

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Feb 2, 2012

Dance

Welcome 2D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>LP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All U need now is $2.00 and DREAM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lot's of LUCK @ D lotto booth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$

Jack-in-the-Box

In the words of Aerosmith psykomo....DREAM ON!!!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

You do not PLAN to win the Powerball, as you already stated you thought it was to pricey. Therefore you cannot plan to win something you WILL NOT PLAY. Of course any other game you plan to win.....go for it!!! Now you get it???     LOL

I DO PLAN to WIN the Powerball.I only play when its over 100 million dollars.I can't afford to throw $2 at it twice a week when its a smaller jackpot.It has to do with simple economics.$2 is two freaking much to pay twice a week.If they would have made the odds twice as good I wouldn't mind paying $2 for a ticket,but they didn't.GET IT NOW?

New York's avatarNew York

Predictions: The New Powerball Jackpot will reach $300 Million!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

$200 Million........Gotta believe in winning and karma, even if its a little bit. I don't know about any of the folks on LP, but I play because I think positively about winning, see the articles,enjoy the stories, have friends or know someone who has won or maybe won some nice $$ myself from time to time....Besides I believe its called and refered to as "the power of positive thinking"..... but I could be wrong , just like some ticket I will purchase in the future wont have any of the right numbers....Then again, I think it just might !!!   Approve
      Someone's gotta win...Why not me or one of us from LP...Stay Thirsty..OOPS.. Stay Positive My Friends

$200 Million........Gotta believe in winning and karma, even if its a little bit. I don't know about any of the folks on LP, but I play because I think positively about winning, see the articles,enjoy the stories, have friends or know someone who has won or maybe won some nice $$ myself from time to time....Besides I believe its called and refered to as "the power of positive thinking"..... but I could be wrong , just like some ticket I will purchase in the future wont have any of the right numbers....Then again, I think it just might !!!   Approve
      Someone's gotta win...Why not me or one of us from LP...Stay Thirsty..OOPS.. Stay Positive My Friends

Very motivational! Cool

mcginnin56

I DO PLAN to WIN the Powerball.I only play when its over 100 million dollars.I can't afford to throw $2 at it twice a week when its a smaller jackpot.It has to do with simple economics.$2 is two freaking much to pay twice a week.If they would have made the odds twice as good I wouldn't mind paying $2 for a ticket,but they didn't.GET IT NOW?

Yes Cletu$2, I get why you don't play at lower prize levels. My point is that playing at any prize level or lottery involves the same process. Whether you win "only" $20 million or $200,000.000 million you need to go out on a limb, risk, play a hunch, go for your dreams regardless of perceived barriers.

There is no 'right' way of achieving your goals. Everyone has a different perception of what is realizing their dreams. But do not penalize someone because they are willing to spend an additional $1 to do so. There are far to many disappointed lottery players that have been frustrated over meager winnings even after playing for decades; but thousands more who have fantastic success stories.

Obviously for you, $2 twice a week is not worthy of your risk level. For the millions of others who decide to go for it, there will be many more millionaires being made starting this Saturday.HyperHyperHyper

Yes Cletu$2, I get why you don't play at lower prize levels. My point is that playing at any prize level or lottery involves the same process. Whether you win "only" $20 million or $200,000.000 million you need to go out on a limb, risk, play a hunch, go for your dreams regardless of perceived barriers.

There is no 'right' way of achieving your goals. Everyone has a different perception of what is realizing their dreams. But do not penalize someone because they are willing to spend an additional $1 to do so. There are far to many disappointed lottery players that have been frustrated over meager winnings even after playing for decades; but thousands more who have fantastic success stories.

Obviously for you, $2 twice a week is not worthy of your risk level. For the millions of others who decide to go for it, there will be many more millionaires being made starting this Saturday.HyperHyperHyper

Yup, this sums it up right here. Check out that guy from Cali. who visited his family in New York, Long Island, and played $26 on quick picks for the Mega Milllions. Just his luck, he won that great Jackpot of $208 million. Talk about spending money. Thumbs Up

Link to story: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/241227 Lep

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by New York on Feb 2, 2012

Yup, this sums it up right here. Check out that guy from Cali. who visited his family in New York, Long Island, and played $26 on quick picks for the Mega Milllions. Just his luck, he won that great Jackpot of $208 million. Talk about spending money. Thumbs Up

Link to story: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/241227 Lep

Hey New York,

Everyone heard about this guy!

Good Karma, willing to risk $26!!! Got his dreams and prayers answered!!!   YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HyperBananaHyperBananaHyperBanana

winwi5

I think the powerball is being greedy now they said their would be more winners since the tickets are now $2 but when the jackpot is high their should be alot of winners.

I don't understand why they went up on the tickets if they are only giving the jackpot to 1 person or letting winners win in only certain states like, CALIFORNIA & NEW YORK.

Quote: Originally posted by winwi5 on Feb 2, 2012

I think the powerball is being greedy now they said their would be more winners since the tickets are now $2 but when the jackpot is high their should be alot of winners.

I don't understand why they went up on the tickets if they are only giving the jackpot to 1 person or letting winners win in only certain states like, CALIFORNIA & NEW YORK.

Hey winwi5,

The state-wide lottery does not choose winners, wheter you live in NY or Cali; you win based on the matching drawn winning numbers on your ticket. Also, they don't give just one person the jackpot. For example, if you and me won the big Jackpot of $200 million, we'll have to share that equally. 

The poweball isn't being greddy either.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by winwi5 on Feb 2, 2012

Jackpot is very seldom won by more that one ticket holder. Here's a list of the winners respective states that have sold the jackpot ticket:
2011 ------- MD, PA, CT, GA, MD, MN, GA, MA, NY, IN, IN, FL, NY
2010 ------- NY, IL shared with KY, AZ, MI, FL, GA, WV, LA, FL, MT shared with OH, MO, NJ, NC, AK
2009 ------- KY, OK, KS, WI, FL, SC, CT, NC, SD, DC, DE shared with PA, IN

Of the past winners only 3 of 42 were from NY, Powerball isn't played in CA.....FL has had 4

Carl8080

This game is rigged. I chose the white  ball 8 and red ball 35  for 5 tickets for a 10 dollars , and I couldn't get nothing more. My total prize was 20 dollars

8 (quick pick) (quick Pick) (quick pick) (quick pick)  35

8                                                                            35

Even when you are certain those numbes are coming and you choose them, they manage to rigge it. I chose white ball 8  because it haven't come in like 5 months and I chose the red ball 35 because the last time it came was in 2010.

They choose the location of the winner.

They rigged and ch0ose their winner.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Carl8080 on Feb 2, 2012

This game is rigged. I chose the white  ball 8 and red ball 35  for 5 tickets for a 10 dollars , and I couldn't get nothing more. My total prize was 20 dollars

Even when you are certain those numbes are coming and you choose them, they manage to rigge it. I chose white ball 8  because it haven't come in like 5 months and I chose the red ball 35 because the last time it came was in 2010.

The game isn't rigged.The odds are astronomical against winning,though.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I bought 2 Quick Picks today for the $81,000,000 + after taxes .......

It is easy and fun to play .............

Let's go Green with money ...............  Patriot

Daddy needs a new pair of Porsches ...............  Dance

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Carl8080 if the game is rigged, then who is it rigged for ? Eventually there is a winner and I haven't heard of the same winner twice on the Powerball Jackpot or from the same family. I swear I have the right numbers for this weekends drawing so it can't be rigged.    Big Smile

mcginnin56

The game is not rigged. The scrutiny of a multi-billion dollar lottery system has many checks and balances from all fifty states and federal oversight.

The formula for the quick picks is obviously a kept secret.  There is no rhyme or reason for how certain #'s come up. That is because they are randomly drawn. Because you were not happy with the results, don't blame it on the system.

As an example, I have tracked pick "3" numbers in my state that have not been drawn in 2+ years. They were obviously due to come up and I played them for several months....to no avail????      Crying

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

OH BROTHER! Crazy

Be happy you won $20.

mcginnin56

Jackpot is very seldom won by more that one ticket holder. Here's a list of the winners respective states that have sold the jackpot ticket:
2010 ------- NY, IL shared with KY, AZ, MI, FL, GA, WV, LA, FL, MT shared with OH, MO, NJ, NC, AK

Of the past winners only 3 of 42 were from NY, Powerball isn't played in CA.....FL has had 4

Excellent CDanaT!, You did your homework!!!  Let me be the first to nominate and congratulate you to the official LP reporting network for factual information.   Type

Todd....... please take notice......... and promote this outstanding member.   Hurray! Immediately!!!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Excellent CDanaT!, You did your homework!!!  Let me be the first to nominate and congratulate you to the official LP reporting network for factual information.   Type

Todd....... please take notice......... and promote this outstanding member.   Hurray! Immediately!!!

Thank you sir.......its a New England thing, since I originally am from 1 state to the right of ya !

mcginnin56

Thank you sir.......its a New England thing, since I originally am from 1 state to the right of ya !

Meaning Maine? Bring me down some lobster some time.....I'll repay you with some good old fashioned NH Moose stories! And some "Live Free or Die"

desserts. YUM...... YUM...... YUM.   Yawn

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I got my ticket today and I would like to win on saturday but I think it is going to roll for a couple of more times and we will see a $300 million pot.  I would like it to either get close to the record or pass it on this run.  But if it does not maybe next run then.  Good luck to all who play!-weshar75

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by weshar75 on Feb 2, 2012

I got my ticket today and I would like to win on saturday but I think it is going to roll for a couple of more times and we will see a $300 million pot.  I would like it to either get close to the record or pass it on this run.  But if it does not maybe next run then.  Good luck to all who play!-weshar75

Agreed, I would like to see a $300+ million pot, that will bring out all the millionaire wannabee's, and get this pot rollin' to record levels. If your gonna win.........might as well be a billionaire.  Why be a poverty stricken millionaire?   Wink

well heres to hoping I buy the winner tonight Cheers

but then I'd be happy if it was one of us here @ the LP ..... Lep

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 2, 2012

well heres to hoping I buy the winner tonight Cheers

but then I'd be happy if it was one of us here @ the LP ..... Lep

Hope your the big whale hearsetrax! I'd be willing to settle for 2nd prize of $2 million with my power play.  See Ya!

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Did the jackpot raise faster since they went to two dollars a ticket or am I imagining it that way?

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on Feb 2, 2012

Did the jackpot raise faster since they went to two dollars a ticket or am I imagining it that way?

Skeptical couldn't tell ya .....

heres to a big winner b4 much longer Cheers

Tkim

I'll take this jackpot! It's about time someone from washington to hit the powerball jackpot Wink

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Tkim on Feb 3, 2012

I'll take this jackpot! It's about time someone from washington to hit the powerball jackpot Wink

TK, I hear ya on accepting the 200 mil. Nice way to start the new year,,,,,,,but I am leaning towards someone from FL winning.  Sun Smiley

Quote: Originally posted by New York on Feb 2, 2012

Predictions: The New Powerball Jackpot will reach $300 Million!

My Prediction:I will win when the jackpot approaches / exceeds 300 million dollars!

GambleToRamble

Sorry, but obviously FL has had its due.

Clearly, and I think we can all agree on this, it is time for a Texas win.  Big Grin

And I'm willing to do it for ya!  Cheers

Well pard-ner, I would have been fine with winning ticket having been sold in Houston, TX for the past Wednesday drawing since I had a dog in that fight, but now that dog won't hunt. Powerball, Powerball! I want to win the bigger and better Powerball!  I hold all six winning numbers on the same line in Illinois.  I will be like Brad Duke and have money receipt plans in place prior to heading to Springfield to claim the prize in March or April (gotta keep the paparazzi guessing).  I would grant media conference there just because it is so rare for IL to boast a jackpot winner.  I am ready to receive my winnings!  Thank you POWERBALL!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by GambleToRamble on Feb 3, 2012

Sorry, but obviously FL has had its due.

Clearly, and I think we can all agree on this, it is time for a Texas win.  Big Grin

And I'm willing to do it for ya!  Cheers

Well  Mr. GTR, I will have to kindly disagree on the TX win aspect.....see you folks over there have had 6 winners in the megamillions over the last 8 years and we don't have a chance to play that one...so the way I sees it....we gotta catch up in total wins, then you fellas(and gals) can have your turn. ROFL  You know...kind of that paying you fair share resdistribution of wealth, hope n change thang    Thud

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 3, 2012

Well  Mr. GTR, I will have to kindly disagree on the TX win aspect.....see you folks over there have had 6 winners in the megamillions over the last 8 years and we don't have a chance to play that one...so the way I sees it....we gotta catch up in total wins, then you fellas(and gals) can have your turn. ROFL  You know...kind of that paying you fair share resdistribution of wealth, hope n change thang    Thud

Party

Thinking of...

CDanaT,

A fan of Tigger too, I seeBig Smile.

Pardon us Texans, while we might have gotten a leg up in Mega Millions, a few years back. We haven't even gotten a whiff of the Powerball since its inception into the State.

I, like many Texans ar e very much hoping for a win this weekend. No, I am not biased in favor of my stateWink.

Alas, I wish us all, best luck imaginable. Oh, if should any LP member win. Invest on wigs, a prosthetic nose and big glasses. While you might want to send your lawyer tthere, you might go for the ride. Let your lawyer do the talking and intriduce you by a pseudonym to the public. A name no one knows you by but, was ALMOST named by your happy parents! LOL, I know, far fetched but collect wisely and with minimal information to be hounded about for your "trouble'..............

DanceLepParty

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on Feb 2, 2012

No, it hasn't increased any more rapidly rollover by rollover. I trend this component consistently.

Kumo's avatarKumo

Don't forget the gift tax Tigger. For any gift amount over $13,000.00 per person per year you will be charged additional Federal Taxes.

For example, if you gave $10 Million each to 5 relatives, you will get charged an extra 35% (5 x 3.5 Million = 17.5 Million) by the Federal Government come tax season. Take this out of your $81 Million or so that you have left after the IRS has claimed their additional 10% from your $93.8 Million CVO.

So $81 Million after Uncle Sam's share - $50 Million Gifts - $17.5 Million Tax on Gifts = Leaves you with around $13.5 Million.

$13.5 Million is still a very comfortable amount to live on, but this brings up a couple of very good "What ifs?"

What if your brother squanders his $10 Million in a couple of years on heavily gambling and drinking?

What if your sister's ex finds out about her share and sucessfully sues her for a huge chunk?

This could put both you and the other 4 relatives in a very difficult financial position by having to bail one of them out of a nasty hole. 

The only way I know of to prevent Uncle Sam from double dipping with Gift Tax on your jackpot is to claim and share the prize as a group, but I am pretty sure that you have to be able to prove that the winning ticket had multiple owners WHEN it was purchased. I think that this might also depend on individual State laws though. A signed, stamped and notarized document listing the members of your group with their personal signatures would work well for this purpose and keeps you well within the law.

Good luck to all the LP folks playing the big one! Smiley
-Kumo

P.S. - I've thought about what I would do with a sudden windfall like Saturday's Powerball, sharing my thoughts on the awesome dream. Big Grin

1.) Don't tell anyone, except for my Wife. However, we would keep our kids oblivious.

2.) Get together a professional financial and legal team, that specializes in dealing with very large amounts of money.

3.) Claim the winnings by a Trust and invest the vast majority of money across several diverse portfolios.

4.) Take a week long $5,000.00 vacation somewhere nice within the country to relax and "get it out of my system."

5.) Avoid making any major purchases and maintain my old middle class lifestyle for the next year.

6.) Start up a low cost home business, to be used as a cover story when people begin to notice my family's increasing wealth.

7.) After Tax season, then I'd start gifting relatives and anonymously to some trustworthy charities from the capital gains from my portfolios. The rest would go towards living expenses with the majority being reinvested back into Stocks and Bonds to stay ahead of inflation.

8.) After a minimum of one year has passed, look into buying some land, a new home, or a new family car. Factor in upkeep costs, taxes and insurance. Keep it within what we can afford and still stay ahead of inflation, while maintaining my annual gifts to relatives and charities.

9.) If I have to quit my job, donate some of my time to doing volunteer work to keep busy and happy.

Nice list Kumo, but I wouldn't even tell my wife I had won.  I wouldn't want to put her in the position of telling her family 'NO' when they ask her for some dough. All she would need to know is that my business is doing well, and as long as I provide for her needs, pay the bills and taxes, all is fine.  Additionally, I would employ her in one of my businesses so she can earn her own.  Fortunately, I already have a legitimate business endeavor that I could truthfully point to for my recent prosperity, so no need to wait a year before enjoying the winnings God bestowed upon me (hey if 'he' can do it, so can I!)!

I would keep working another service commitment for another year before 'retiring' from that endeavor, but I would only keep up the hectic pace of my current involvement for the current calendar year...2013 would truly be the year of transition for me in moving to a warmer climate and fully focusing on business and travel interests. 

Wow I can already see a bright future ahead of me...thanks to Powerball and cousin Mega Millions! What a great family to be a part of!

mightwin's avatarmightwin

I dont know if we are going to see record jackpots or not, the old powerball had greater odds of winning then mega, yet mega has the highest jackpot between the two. I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere Powerball used to cap the jackpot increases once it got to a record amount. Do they still do this?

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Kumo....nice list
  I hear ya about the giving $13K, but as a couple you and your spouse can give  $26k to 1 person without any taxes (gift or income) according to the IRS website.....Also give ANY 5 relatives 10 million isn't in the cards. I am more like giving them 3.5 million a piece and I pay the gift tax...either way its 35%..gotta remember about that lifetime gift of $5 Million the IRS stipulates about.......Now, as far as any relative squandering away their share..oh well, their personal drama is a sole ownership scenario..I donated,they are responsible, I am not China and they are pretending to be the USA by asking for more No No.. Financially Responsible & Drama-Free zone is my official mailing address  Naughty   I will pass on any businesses because of civil liability...Dont want any headaches...Probably start a non profit to assist persons with medical bills...Probably have 3 different residences in 3 diff states to split time in....Thanks for stopping by, Drive safely, have a nice day See Ya!

lejardin's avatarlejardin

Quote: Originally posted by Tkim on Feb 3, 2012

Not sure, I think it was the Mega that two different people won, a couple from Ephrata and and a young woman from Idaho split the lottery.  I agree it is time Washington won again.  Dont believe Powerball has ever been won in Washington State but I could be wrong!

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Feb 3, 2012

No, it hasn't increased any more rapidly rollover by rollover. I trend this component consistently.

Well, the jackpot is at $200 million on the 12th draw.  That took 13 draws in October 2011 - when interest rates were higher (meaning higher annuity jackpots).  And the new game was in place for only five draws in this run.

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 3, 2012

I dont know if we are going to see record jackpots or not, the old powerball had greater odds of winning then mega, yet mega has the highest jackpot between the two. I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere Powerball used to cap the jackpot increases once it got to a record amount. Do they still do this?

The old cap limited jackpot growth over a "record jackpot" to jumps of only $25 million.  That limitation is gone for the new game.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Feb 3, 2012

The old cap limited jackpot growth over a "record jackpot" to jumps of only $25 million.  That limitation is gone for the new game.

Any word on sales since the change, Chuck?

How about the Powerplay option?

Thanks.

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Feb 3, 2012

Nice list Kumo, but I wouldn't even tell my wife I had won.  I wouldn't want to put her in the position of telling her family 'NO' when they ask her for some dough. All she would need to know is that my business is doing well, and as long as I provide for her needs, pay the bills and taxes, all is fine.  Additionally, I would employ her in one of my businesses so she can earn her own.  Fortunately, I already have a legitimate business endeavor that I could truthfully point to for my recent prosperity, so no need to wait a year before enjoying the winnings God bestowed upon me (hey if 'he' can do it, so can I!)!

I would keep working another service commitment for another year before 'retiring' from that endeavor, but I would only keep up the hectic pace of my current involvement for the current calendar year...2013 would truly be the year of transition for me in moving to a warmer climate and fully focusing on business and travel interests. 

Wow I can already see a bright future ahead of me...thanks to Powerball and cousin Mega Millions! What a great family to be a part of!

A very valid point OldSchool. But here lies my dilema, when I married my Wife, I took a vow to be honest with her. Keeping any knowledge of a win beyond a few days set aside to calm down, seems like it would be going against that commitment.

Perhaps a way to remedy telling my Wife and not having the secret spread, would be in writing up a mutually binding oath to secrecy. It would be signed and dated by both of us, even before divulging the information.

She's got a very good head on her shoulders and I can count on her to be my voice of reason if something is really bothering me. Much like myself, she is not interested in a life of extravagance, but more interested in preservation of our current lifestyle.

Seems like an oath to secrecy worked well for an ancestor of mine, to this day and to my knowledge people have still not found any of his fabled gold mines. The information on their locations died with him and his son, hopefully it stays that way.

However there are certain important exceptions to revealing information to family. If my job requires me not to divulge times, details and paticipants for a sensitive or secret operation. To protect my extended professional family, all my Wife needs to know is that I am bringing home a salary twice a month. I've been in that position in the past. During on of my tours, a shopkeeper that I bought food and drink items from daily, asked  a question about a field excercise my unit was participating in, being a good soldier I kept my mouth shut. Big Grin

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Kumo on Feb 3, 2012

A very valid point OldSchool. But here lies my dilema, when I married my Wife, I took a vow to be honest with her. Keeping any knowledge of a win beyond a few days set aside to calm down, seems like it would be going against that commitment.

Perhaps a way to remedy telling my Wife and not having the secret spread, would be in writing up a mutually binding oath to secrecy. It would be signed and dated by both of us, even before divulging the information.

She's got a very good head on her shoulders and I can count on her to be my voice of reason if something is really bothering me. Much like myself, she is not interested in a life of extravagance, but more interested in preservation of our current lifestyle.

Seems like an oath to secrecy worked well for an ancestor of mine, to this day and to my knowledge people have still not found any of his fabled gold mines. The information on their locations died with him and his son, hopefully it stays that way.

However there are certain important exceptions to revealing information to family. If my job requires me not to divulge times, details and paticipants for a sensitive or secret operation. To protect my extended professional family, all my Wife needs to know is that I am bringing home a salary twice a month. I've been in that position in the past. During on of my tours, a shopkeeper that I bought food and drink items from daily, asked  a question about a field excercise my unit was participating in, being a good soldier I kept my mouth shut. Big Grin

Are you kin to the Lost Dutchman, Kumo?

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Feb 3, 2012

Well, the jackpot is at $200 million on the 12th draw.  That took 13 draws in October 2011 - when interest rates were higher (meaning higher annuity jackpots).  And the new game was in place for only five draws in this run.

June 1, 2011 Jackpot took the same number of draws we see now for the $201m mark. There is admittedly some slight variability, but this is NO RECORD.

rad242

June 1, 2011 Jackpot took the same number of draws we see now for the $201m mark. There is admittedly some slight variability, but this is NO RECORD.

April 6, 2011 is yet another EXAMPLE of the same number of draws that took the Jackpot over the 200m mark. In fact in this case, it rolled over to 221m

rad242

April 6, 2011 is yet another EXAMPLE of the same number of draws that took the Jackpot over the 200m mark. In fact in this case, it rolled over to 221m

MY ERROR on both examples. Actually it went over the 200m mark at the 11th draw!!!

Kumo's avatarKumo

Hehe, you too Tigger and good luck to you on Saturday. :)

Heya RD, not the Dutchman, but I am direct kin to "The Mormon Pathfinder". Legend has it that the Ute's know where the mines are but thankfully they are not talking.

WWWBUKTN

I bought my tickets today.  Normally I play one ticket, same numbers every time but due to the Powerballs new rules I had to change my Powerball number as it was formerly 37 which is no longer in play.   I stayed with the same numbers and have chosen a new Powerball.  Since it's $200,000,000 this week I also purchased a quick pick which was silly but I figured why not.   The funny part is that I'm from Chicago but I'm in Florida for the winter working on my parents condo for sale next year.   That said I'm amazed at Lotto fever out here of every kind.  I've never seen so many people buy Lottery tickets from scratch to pick three games.   It shouldn't have been much of a shock as I've looked at the tier breakdown on the Powerball page in the past and Florida has so many more winners obviously due to the amount of tickets sold. 

So much for all these additional winners they spoke of to get me to plunk down that extra dollar everytime.  I wouldn't purchase the Powerplay if you gave me the dollar.   I wish they had MegaMillions in this state because I would probably stop playing Powerball until it hit one of these huge pots as I think it's BS that they raised it to two bucks and the payoff structure on MegaMillions is far move favorable.  I think it's about time that they stop the Lotto from saying $200,000,000 when we know it's not even close.

Anyhow best of luck to all of you tomorrow night!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Hehe, you too Tigger and good luck to you on Saturday. :)

Heya RD, not the Dutchman, but I am direct kin to "The Mormon Pathfinder". Legend has it that the Ute's know where the mines are but thankfully they are not talking.

Ok, thanks.
I was gonna say I knew why nobody ever found the Dutchman's mine cuz I did a little pokin' around them Superstition Mntns my own self and it was so dam hot all I could think about was gettin' the hell out of them mntns and into a cool saloon for a cold beer and some shade.
I'll have to read up on the Pathfinder.

I agree with WWWBUKTN that the lottery, especially Powerball, should only be allowed to advertise the cash value vice annuitized jackpot amount because since 2003, excluding the 2 pools that had both annuity and cash claimants, only 3 of the other 122 jackpot winners opted to accept annuity payments.  I will break that down for you.  Since 2003, approximately 3 percent of jackpot winners chose the advertised annuity payout whereas 97 percent chose the smaller upfront cash value.  Psychologically, most people envision the gross annuitized amount when they choose to spend their money on the lottery.  But since the overwhelming majority choose the smaller cash value amount which is further reduced by one-third for taxes, I think that borders on deceptive advertising on the part of the lottery.  Does it matter to me?  Not really because I always look to see what the cash value amount is and I don't get caught up in the 'Wow! The jackpot is now $200,000,000!!!' hoopla (yup if I were out at a convenience store buying my usual amount for a jackpot at record levels and TV crew was there interviewing lottery players, I can guarantee I wouldn't be one sputtering on about what I would do with X annuitized jackpot amount.  I would throw a curve ball at the reporter and only mention that the Y cash value is a nice amount, but it really doesn't matter the amount until you are holding the winning ticket.  If that is how one would classify Don Downer, so be it but it is my way of staying even-keeled and not getting overly excited over nothing (maybe that is why I have never been selected for any of the reality shows ranging from Fear Factor...I have no fear...to the Amazing Race.  Oh well, their loss.  However, I wish all in LP land good luck and may the next jackpot winner hail from here.  Furthermore, should I be the lucky sap to hold the winning ticket, I will post here that I did indeed win.  I will even conduct a media conference at lottery HQ after I have gotten my affairs in order, but that is only because I know how to say NO to family, friends and even charities when it comes to monetary gifts, loans, and donations.  Don't believe me? Well, those fraternal order of police groups know not to even bother dialing my number because I relish saying, 'Nope! NO! He'll NO! Your chumps in OK and TX already hit me for two technicality speeding tickets that I paid! I will win!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Feb 3, 2012

I agree with WWWBUKTN that the lottery, especially Powerball, should only be allowed to advertise the cash value vice annuitized jackpot amount because since 2003, excluding the 2 pools that had both annuity and cash claimants, only 3 of the other 122 jackpot winners opted to accept annuity payments.  I will break that down for you.  Since 2003, approximately 3 percent of jackpot winners chose the advertised annuity payout whereas 97 percent chose the smaller upfront cash value.  Psychologically, most people envision the gross annuitized amount when they choose to spend their money on the lottery.  But since the overwhelming majority choose the smaller cash value amount which is further reduced by one-third for taxes, I think that borders on deceptive advertising on the part of the lottery.  Does it matter to me?  Not really because I always look to see what the cash value amount is and I don't get caught up in the 'Wow! The jackpot is now $200,000,000!!!' hoopla (yup if I were out at a convenience store buying my usual amount for a jackpot at record levels and TV crew was there interviewing lottery players, I can guarantee I wouldn't be one sputtering on about what I would do with X annuitized jackpot amount.  I would throw a curve ball at the reporter and only mention that the Y cash value is a nice amount, but it really doesn't matter the amount until you are holding the winning ticket.  If that is how one would classify Don Downer, so be it but it is my way of staying even-keeled and not getting overly excited over nothing (maybe that is why I have never been selected for any of the reality shows ranging from Fear Factor...I have no fear...to the Amazing Race.  Oh well, their loss.  However, I wish all in LP land good luck and may the next jackpot winner hail from here.  Furthermore, should I be the lucky sap to hold the winning ticket, I will post here that I did indeed win.  I will even conduct a media conference at lottery HQ after I have gotten my affairs in order, but that is only because I know how to say NO to family, friends and even charities when it comes to monetary gifts, loans, and donations.  Don't believe me? Well, those fraternal order of police groups know not to even bother dialing my number because I relish saying, 'Nope! NO! He'll NO! Your chumps in OK and TX already hit me for two technicality speeding tickets that I paid! I will win!

If you post your win here,how are you gonna keep your win secret from your wife like you said in an earlier post today?

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Feb 3, 2012

If you post your win here,how are you gonna keep your win secret from your wife like you said in an earlier post today?

She does not frequent this site so no worries there. Also, since I have a business where I could legitimately go from making little bucks to big bucks, she wouldn't know the difference or source.

DC81's avatarDC81

Don't forget the gift tax Tigger. For any gift amount over $13,000.00 per person per year you will be charged additional Federal Taxes.

For example, if you gave $10 Million each to 5 relatives, you will get charged an extra 35% (5 x 3.5 Million = 17.5 Million) by the Federal Government come tax season. Take this out of your $81 Million or so that you have left after the IRS has claimed their additional 10% from your $93.8 Million CVO.

So $81 Million after Uncle Sam's share - $50 Million Gifts - $17.5 Million Tax on Gifts = Leaves you with around $13.5 Million.

$13.5 Million is still a very comfortable amount to live on, but this brings up a couple of very good "What ifs?"

What if your brother squanders his $10 Million in a couple of years on heavily gambling and drinking?

What if your sister's ex finds out about her share and sucessfully sues her for a huge chunk?

This could put both you and the other 4 relatives in a very difficult financial position by having to bail one of them out of a nasty hole. 

The only way I know of to prevent Uncle Sam from double dipping with Gift Tax on your jackpot is to claim and share the prize as a group, but I am pretty sure that you have to be able to prove that the winning ticket had multiple owners WHEN it was purchased. I think that this might also depend on individual State laws though. A signed, stamped and notarized document listing the members of your group with their personal signatures would work well for this purpose and keeps you well within the law.

Good luck to all the LP folks playing the big one! Smiley
-Kumo

P.S. - I've thought about what I would do with a sudden windfall like Saturday's Powerball, sharing my thoughts on the awesome dream. Big Grin

1.) Don't tell anyone, except for my Wife. However, we would keep our kids oblivious.

2.) Get together a professional financial and legal team, that specializes in dealing with very large amounts of money.

3.) Claim the winnings by a Trust and invest the vast majority of money across several diverse portfolios.

4.) Take a week long $5,000.00 vacation somewhere nice within the country to relax and "get it out of my system."

5.) Avoid making any major purchases and maintain my old middle class lifestyle for the next year.

6.) Start up a low cost home business, to be used as a cover story when people begin to notice my family's increasing wealth.

7.) After Tax season, then I'd start gifting relatives and anonymously to some trustworthy charities from the capital gains from my portfolios. The rest would go towards living expenses with the majority being reinvested back into Stocks and Bonds to stay ahead of inflation.

8.) After a minimum of one year has passed, look into buying some land, a new home, or a new family car. Factor in upkeep costs, taxes and insurance. Keep it within what we can afford and still stay ahead of inflation, while maintaining my annual gifts to relatives and charities.

9.) If I have to quit my job, donate some of my time to doing volunteer work to keep busy and happy.

You also have a million dollar life time exemption, being married also changes things some. The idea of getting millions away in just a short amount of time... Yeah, bad idea. Even worse if you're giving it to family since that's a train wreck waiting to happen.

As for your list, if you can stick to that more power to you but I have a feeling things wouldn't work out the way you envision/plan from the list. It's nice to pretend to have things figured out, but none of us know exactly what we would do if it were to actually happen.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I wonder if I am the only Lottery Post member that thinks that $43,000,000 + taxes on $125,100,000 is enough?! That is enough in my book! Good luck to all members! Being part of the 1% on Monday ...... Priceless! :$

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Feb 4, 2012

I wonder if I am the only Lottery Post member that thinks that $43,000,000 + taxes on $125,100,000 is enough?! That is enough in my book! Good luck to all members! Being part of the 1% on Monday ...... Priceless! :$

DP....I hear ya on that one  !!!!!...There was that blonde lady back in the early 80s( Susan ???) I think that said , " Stop the Insanity"....... But then again it has been about redistribution of wealth and feeding the governments appetite to spend. Kinda funny how we have more taxes on goods and services today then we have ever had and yet they want more !  (shoulder shrug)  Oh well, have remain positive that one or more of us will win tonight.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 4, 2012

DP....I hear ya on that one  !!!!!...There was that blonde lady back in the early 80s( Susan ???) I think that said , " Stop the Insanity"....... But then again it has been about redistribution of wealth and feeding the governments appetite to spend. Kinda funny how we have more taxes on goods and services today then we have ever had and yet they want more !  (shoulder shrug)  Oh well, have remain positive that one or more of us will win tonight.

I believe that tax revenues have never been higher. It is about uncontrolled spending to pander for votes! The current taxes on the $125,100,000 cash value are more than adequate. Thank you for your intellectualy mature comments CdanaT!
Come on baby, Daddio needs a new pair Bentleys!

WWWBUKTN

Okay, I bought a third ticket for this Powerball.   I was getting gas today in some out of way gas station I never go to but I couldn't find a business I was looking for so I figured I would grab some gas while getting directions.  The person in front of me bought ten Powerball tickets and asked that they all be on completely different tickets (as if that matters) and I couldn't help myself. 

Now I have six bucks invested into this jackpot so if you win I expect my six bucks back and a million dollars juice for some sob story I can come up with wouldn't hurt either.  No Pity!

Good luck everybody!!!!!

GambleToRamble

I like Kumo's list, as my wife and I have lots of discussion about our cover story, regarding various business ideas we would pursue if we had the funding. (I left a corporate job a few years ago for a start-up that fell apart in a 2nd round of financing.)

As I heard long ago from a previous lottery winner on TV (I think from Texas):

Money may not change you, but it changes the people around you.

Which is why it is so important to keep your win a secret.  To protect ourselves and our kids, we plan to not tell anyone else of our win (other than our financial/legal team), including not telling our (young) kids – at least for another 20-30 years.  We've worked for 20+ years building a life, and think they should do the same before they come into any windfall.  (I’m even torn over telling you guys…   is someone here able to track my IP address??? What? )

As for handling the money, my overall theory is you can't go broke if you never spend the money/principal, but only spend the income off of the money.  And these large jackpots make it easier to do so because you don't have to make riskier investments to have enough to live your dreams.  Then, by not spending the principal, you can pass along this financial security to your heirs (and the govt, so need to educate myself about trust law).

Actually, my goal is not to just maintain the principal, but to grow the principal enough to bequeath to each of my children the same amount I won when they are of a similar age as I am when I win (as well as still keep a little for our old age). (e.g, two children = double it. three children = triple it, etc.)  By setting this as my goal, it keeps me focused on being prudent and productive in society, building a business, and setting a better life example for my kids than being a spendthrift. Also, passing on to them that goal of building the principal to cover however many kids they may have hopefully would keep them productive in society, and provide a lasting legacy of this win.

As part of the (future) 1%, we feel it is our Patriot obligation to “spread the wealth” by creating jobs (not by paying more taxes).  Create jobs not only by spending money at other businesses (as any winner would do), but also by investing to create a business that will create new jobs – as well as help grow our principal.  This effort is not only good for society, but working toward something is what keeps you healthy and alive.  (After all, we all know that money doesn’t buy you happiness. Personal fulfillment does. But money can sure make an unfulfilled life a lot more comfortable. Big Grin )

My plan is to break the lump sum into three "funds".  One for Charity, one for Business, and one for Personal.  Then, with just the earnings off of those separate funds (never "spending" the principal, but just the earnings), we have:  1) a charity fund to disperse every year for the rest of our lives - rather than just giving a lump sum amount the year we win,  2) a funding source for building business ideas (whether solely ourselves or as an angel investor), and  3) a personal fund to build our dream home, travel, take ample care of our extended families, and sustain us comfortably – allowing our business ventures to take on a bit more risk than we otherwise could do.

So, having said all that, I think I’d like to get started tomorrow morning.  Who’s with me?!?!!!  Thumbs Up

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

GtoR, nice layout you decided on and very well thought out. I am onboard with getting started tomorrow Hyper  already decided how I am headed up to Tallahassee to pick up my check...Stretch Hummer !!!Patriot

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$6 bet on $81,000,000 + in the bank!

Glacier White 2012 Bentley Mulsanne - Pittsburgh PA - SCBBB7ZH9CC016370 (2) being part of the 1% ............ Priceless!

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Feb 3, 2012

Ok, thanks.
I was gonna say I knew why nobody ever found the Dutchman's mine cuz I did a little pokin' around them Superstition Mntns my own self and it was so dam hot all I could think about was gettin' the hell out of them mntns and into a cool saloon for a cold beer and some shade.
I'll have to read up on the Pathfinder.

You're not kidding about the heat the valley. My Father and I used to climb the old Squaw Peak near Camelback Mtn every weekend for recreation. We'd only be out there for about 1 1/2 hours, but I usually went through a full canteen of water in that time. good times. :)

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Feb 4, 2012

$6 bet on $81,000,000 + in the bank!

Glacier White 2012 Bentley Mulsanne - Pittsburgh PA - SCBBB7ZH9CC016370 (2) being part of the 1% ............ Priceless!

Nice visualization automobile!  I have similar ones plastered on the wall of my office as well as the amount of money I see coming my way!

Yup, LP fam, I don't have any American cars up on my walls...nothing but the finest European will do!  Bentley baby!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

actually this 2012 chrysler 300c  srtr seems pretty nice. i know 100's of mill make me go looking at expensive price tags butthis has a price taG PROMISSING CHANGE FROM $50K, and adaptive suspension. and all wheel drive option!

i could actually see myself as happy in this as a bentley, infact more happy as i get cheaper running costs/ insurance.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Feb 4, 2012

actually this 2012 chrysler 300c  srtr seems pretty nice. i know 100's of mill make me go looking at expensive price tags butthis has a price taG PROMISSING CHANGE FROM $50K, and adaptive suspension. and all wheel drive option!

i could actually see myself as happy in this as a bentley, infact more happy as i get cheaper running costs/ insurance.

Big yawn!
Made by union thugs!
$81,000,000 will purchase better. I get a Porsche for everyday car. Save the Bentley for special occasions!

personally .... I think thar both wastes of money .....

but if U get that lucky its yer funeral with ethier one

if yer gonna waste the $$$

get something of actual value :

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/02/03/bat-exclusive-ex-government-1992-ford-f350-4x4/

Brcebrce

Yeah its a high risk investment but $2 for  million plus ...good return. I'm still gonna wait till tuesday till i play if noone wins tonight. Job free life sounds real nice .

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Feb 4, 2012

You also have a million dollar life time exemption, being married also changes things some. The idea of getting millions away in just a short amount of time... Yeah, bad idea. Even worse if you're giving it to family since that's a train wreck waiting to happen.

As for your list, if you can stick to that more power to you but I have a feeling things wouldn't work out the way you envision/plan from the list. It's nice to pretend to have things figured out, but none of us know exactly what we would do if it were to actually happen.

Very good points. I can totally agree for anyone on the outside looking in, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to accurately anticipate the level of excitement it will bring. Kind of like for anyone throwing a live grenade for the first time in BCT, you do not really get the true meaning that you are one mistake away from death until you have the weapon in your own hands. The adrenaline rush and fear were definitely far beyond anything that I had imagined.

Seems like it might be best for anyone using a similar plan, to just store the ticket in a safe location and sit on it for a little while before contacting legal and financial professionals. Say two weeks or more to let your own excitement level die down.

I've wrestled with the idea of giving money to relatives for a while now, I've narrowed it down to our elder generation in the family. Most of these folks are quickly approaching retirement age and are very well grounded in reality. I'd love to see them benefit from their own capital gains, so anything that I give to them would have to be placed in a trust with the money spread across a diverse portfolio. However it may take a year or more before I would attempt to do this. I'll definitely need that time to develop the business I mentioned earlier. Even though I would give them this money, I do not want them knowing that it partially came from a lottery win.

I would want to save my lifetime gift/estate tax exemption for my children when I pass away. So I would definitely have to account for an additional $1.75 Million if I were to give my 5 elder relatives $1 Million each. Taking a very conservative 3% interest rate with no other souce of income on the $81 Million CVO, it would take at least 4 years to make back the $6.75 Million, however this does not account for inflation during that time. $81 Million for certainty will not be worth as much in 2016 as it is today. I really think it would be a sacrifice that I would be willing to make, but I would most definitely consult the financial team before making any final decision.

No way in hades would I give any to my 1st cousins and siblings. Although several of them currently have very successful careers and are doing quite well for their families, one of my other cousins is buried in over 100k worth of debt and one of my Wife's siblings would quickly squander the money on useless things, then come begging for more. I won't hand those two their own noose. I reckon if word got out from my elders that I gave them money, I would probably be called a miser among other things by the family members in my generation. Perhaps again one way to remedy this would be for my elders to sign a written agreement to not reveal the additional income or the source of the funds. I know them well enough to know that they believe that there are certain things you just don't tell the kids.

I would continue to be very strict with anything given to my own children and there will be no allowance. They will need to learn the value of working hard for their own money before my Wife and I assist with college tuition or in helping them to buy a used car. If they begin failing classes or lose their job and are unable to pay for their own insurance, gas and upkeep on a $8,000 hoopty, I'll personally repo it and give them a bicycle for their transportation until they prove to me that they can be more responsible. Spoiled children will never fully develop into level headed adults as those that are shown a little bit of tough love.

I remember reading an article recently where Warren Buffett said the vast majority of his wealth would go into the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundataion when he passes away. He noted that his children would recieve some money, but that it would not be enough for them to just lay about and do nothing, smart guy. I'd do much the same for my own children but with the majority of the money going into a Dynasty Trust for the Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren.

Simba774

Illinois keeps claiming since the change, Illinois will have more winners. We'll see. Let it be my lucky night tonight. I'm sure it won't be, but one can dream.

Kumo's avatarKumo

Awesome ideas GTR!

I think with any business I would start, it would definitely offer higher pay and more benefits to employees than most modern businesses. Higher wages to the employee's would definitely benefit the local economy and hopefully would convince others to do the same. My goal would be for employees to not have to worry about money but gain enjoyment from providing a quality product and have fun on the job. After operating and advertising costs are taken care of, with maybe a little set aside for future expansion into other local markets, as an owner I would not really need the income and would probably set it at the same level that I would pay any manager.

Kumo's avatarKumo

No luck this time, see you folks on Wednesday's $156 Million CVO

Have a good weekend :)

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Will someone please explain this to me?  Yes, I know what pari-mutuel means.  However, if I pay $3 for a ticket and win $2 million bucks, that's what I explect to get (minus Federal Income tax, of course)   I assume they're just being extra careful in case, by some stretch of the imagination, too many people win non-jackpot prizes, but this statement caught my eye. 

From the Florida State Lottery:

"The jackpot prize will be shared among jackpot winners in all Powerball States.   All non-jackpot prizes are

set payouts.   If funds are insufficient to pay set prizes, non jackpot prizes may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis

and could be lower than the amount shown."

By the way, someone in Florida did hit the $2 million prize on Saturday! 

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 5, 2012

Will someone please explain this to me?  Yes, I know what pari-mutuel means.  However, if I pay $3 for a ticket and win $2 million bucks, that's what I explect to get (minus Federal Income tax, of course)   I assume they're just being extra careful in case, by some stretch of the imagination, too many people win non-jackpot prizes, but this statement caught my eye. 

"The jackpot prize will be shared among jackpot winners in all Powerball States.   All non-jackpot prizes are

set payouts.   If funds are insufficient to pay set prizes, non jackpot prizes may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis

If funds are insufficient to pay set prizes, non jackpot prizes may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis

If you look hard enough, you'll find a similar statement some where on every state website.  It just under normal circumstances, it will never come up but it's there in case they ever need it.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 5, 2012

If funds are insufficient to pay set prizes, non jackpot prizes may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis

If you look hard enough, you'll find a similar statement some where on every state website.  It just under normal circumstances, it will never come up but it's there in case they ever need it.

Hello to an old friend! 

I think $3 is an awful lot to spend for one ticket, although I'm sure the winner who got the 5 numbers tonight is happy he/she spent it.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Hello to an old friend! 

I think $3 is an awful lot to spend for one ticket, although I'm sure the winner who got the 5 numbers tonight is happy he/she spent it.

It has been a while.

I think anybody winning that must wouldn't have any regrets about any amount they spent.  I haven't bought a ticket since the price change but it's getting near the point where I might buy a couple.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

You've been gone a while.  Did you drive to Mars and back or something?

As RJ said, all states have that disclaimer somewhere in their rules just in case. Powerball considered taking advantage of it when 110 people hit 5+0 on the fortune cookie numbers back in 2005, but decided they could take the loss, paying out $19.4 million.

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Feb 5, 2012

As RJ said, all states have that disclaimer somewhere in their rules just in case. Powerball considered taking advantage of it when 110 people hit 5+0 on the fortune cookie numbers back in 2005, but decided they could take the loss, paying out $19.4 million.

RE:  Trip to Mars

Who said I came back?

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Feb 4, 2012

ROFL I have never been fooled into thinking a Chrysler 300 was a Bentley!  And I know the ride is incomparable.  So when I win I will stimulate UK economy by purchasing their cars.  But I will do better stimulating US economy by expanding business ventures.

Although the annuitized jackpot amount might roll over 300M if not hit Wednesday, I still won't get lotto fever until all those balls roll my way.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Big deal. I won't get excited until I see the jackpot finally break the record and hit $400 at least. Instrad of the predictable wins right before each record is broken. I hope it gets to a billion and I win it then. No one wants to buy $3 tickets almost certain to be losers.

WWWBUKTN

This is when that two dollars actually comes into play.   I was kind of shocked to see they bumped it up fifty million for the next drawing.  I suspect it will be a bigger jump if noboy hits it on Wednesday.   I assume that it will be a record if it's not hit in the next three drawings.   So much for "more winners" removing a few of the Powerballs. 

Good luck everybody, I hit two numbers but not the Powerball so that won't even get me a cup of soup.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

i thought i heard it was  " more millionaires " as 2nd prize is now $1M instead of $200k, there technically can be less winners of the 5 white prizes, as less playing, but they are still correct in the statement  more millionaires. ain't marketing wonderful.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Feb 5, 2012

While the PowerBall organization is responsible for paying the jackpots, all other prizes are the responsibility of the individual states where they are won so it would have had to be a state by state decision.  Had any state with only one or two second place winners defaulted, it would have been an admission that they had structured the game such that the advertised prizes couldn't be paid under normal circumstances which would have probably ended the game.

You make a very valid point, RJOh.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 5, 2012

While the PowerBall organization is responsible for paying the jackpots, all other prizes are the responsibility of the individual states where they are won so it would have had to be a state by state decision.  Had any state with only one or two second place winners defaulted, it would have been an admission that they had structured the game such that the advertised prizes couldn't be paid under normal circumstances which would have probably ended the game.

Are you seriously suggesting that having 110 5+0 winners is "normal circumstances"? At that time the 5+0 odds were about 1 in 2.9 million, so 110 winners would only be normal if they had sold about 315 million tickets. Lotoreport.com says they sold 10.8 million tickets. That means they would have expected about 4 winners , but had more than 27 times as many as they expected. The probability of selling that many winners as a matter of chance makes the game odds of 1 in 120 million (at that time) look like a sure thing.

If any state had sold enough tickets to cover the number of 5+0 winners in that state they would obviously have to make the full payout even if other states were entitled to make a parimutuel payout. OTOH, just because some (or all) states are entitled to make a parimutuel payout doesn'tmean they're required to do so. That only leaves the question of whether some states make the full paymant or they all do. While any individual state may have the right to make th eparimutuel payout there's nothing to prevent a collective agreement to make the full payout. I don't know exactly how it's administered, but MUSL maintains a reserve for unusual circumstances.  I think the full payout came from that fund rather than the individual states. Of course the individual states would have contributed to that fund in proportion to their ticket sales.

RE:  Trip to Mars

Who said I came back?

Your internet provider must be a lot better than mine.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story