Mega Millions fever sweeps nation as jackpot hits $540 million

Mar 30, 2012, 8:53 am (100 comments)

Mega Millions

Includes video report

Waiting with anticipation for that big drawing tonight?  Here's a news story and some videos to help pass the time and keep those dreams alive.

Lines have been snaking around stores from coast to coast all week with customers looking to cash in on what has now become the largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, tonight's $540 million Mega Millions drawing.

A now eye-popping 400 million tickets have been sold in just the last 48 hours for the drawing set to take place at 11 pm Eastern Time Friday at WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia — one of the 42 states where Mega Millions is played. Friday's jackpot pushed past what was estimated to be a $476 million jackpot after stronger than anticipated sales nationwide. And it far surpasses the previous record of $390 million.

"Friday night's Mega Millions drawing ... provides an unprecedented opportunity for players to take a chance on a half-billion dollar dream for just the $1 price of a ticket," Gary Grief, lead director for the Mega Millions group said. "We have people coming out that have never bought a ticket before, because they see this number and they think, 'Gee, for just a dollar, I have a chance at a half a billion.' It's hard not to take a chance on that."

If one single winner manages to hit all six numbers of the Mega Millions jackpot, the winner will have the option of receiving 26 annual payments of about $20.7 million, or a cash option of approximately $389.8 million. Hopefuls with lottery fever across the U.S. are strategizing and purchasing dozens — even thousands — of tickets.

Washington Wizards player Chris Singleton — who is bringing in somewhere in the area of $1.5 million this season — is one lottery player who is playing with more than one shot — Singleton thinks he's a slam dunk to win after spending $10,000 on tickets.

In California, lottery officials put out a cheat sheet of which stores have sold the most winning tickets, many of those were packed all night Thursday with lottery hopeful confident that lightning will strike again in the same place.

In fact, California is experiencing a bit of a gold rush this week; thousands have been waiting in line — some for up to six hours — at the Primm Valley Lotto Store on California's Nevada border. Nevada is one of the eight states were you can't buy a Mega Millions ticket, which may be surprising to some given the state's reputation as a gambling mecca.

Gamblers from Las Vegas began to line up at the remote store at 6 a.m. Thursday to get their $1 tickets, according to The Las Vegas Sun.

The state where the winning lottery ticket is sold is also in for a treat. A lump sum payment to a winner will mean millions in taxes paid instantly to the state, which could mean badly-needed funds for education, parks and dozens of other state-funded programs.

The revenue from the sales of tickets is also a boon for the 42 states that participate in Mega Millions drawings, as higher sales equal greater profits.

Each state determines individually how these profits are allocated. Though most states earmark these profits for education, other programs for natural resources, property tax relief and the elderly are in the mix.

The odds of winning Friday's Mega Millions jackpot are downright depressing — a miserable 1 out of 176 million. Yet many Americans are eternally optimistic, with millions dreaming that it's time for their number to come up.

"What if?" Betty Warner of Fargo, North Dakota asked. "You're dreaming. You know, it's your hopes."

Mathematicians are often asked what people can do to improve their odds.

"You would do well to get numbers that most people would think look unlucky, because those would be the ones that nobody would pick," says New York University Mathematics Prof. Sylvain Cappell.

"There are things you should definitely avoid," says fellow NYU Mathematics Professor Charles Newman, "because many people don't avoid them. So there are people who will make numbers based on the patterns they make on the sheet where you fill in the numbers. It's a very bad idea putting money in those."

So if the mathematician were to buy a ticket, what numbers would he pick?

"I choose them at random," says Newman.

Lottery players can see an after-tax analysis of the current Mega Millions jackpot by visiting USA Mega's Jackpot Analysis page.

Lottery players seeking to check the winning numbers Friday night are urged to use USA Mega (www.usamega.com).  State lottery Web sites are normally brought to a standstill during busy periods, while USA Mega normally remains responsive.

Mega Millions drawing results will be posted immediately after the 11:00 pm drawing at USA Mega. The number of winners and new jackpot will be announced after all participating Mega Millions states have reported their data, which normally occurs within a couple of hours after the drawing.

Tickets will remain on sale typically until 10:45 pm Eastern Time on Friday, although players should check with a lottery retailer in their state for the exact sales cutoff time. Players are advised not to wait until the last minute.

VIDEO: Watch news reports about the unprecedented drawing taking place tonight

ABC, CBS, BBC, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

GMA and CNN have spent alot of time feeding the frenzy for the Mega Millions jackpot. 20/20 will air a special about the Frenzy tonight “Lotto Frenzy: Be Careful What You Wish For”. 

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Mar 30, 2012

GMA and CNN have spent alot of time feeding the frenzy for the Mega Millions jackpot. 20/20 will air a special about the Frenzy tonight “Lotto Frenzy: Be Careful What You Wish For”. 

Yeah, I was watching CNN yesterday, they also featured info on lottery pools. I think around 10:30AM MM will announce if they will raise the Jackpot

again. I think it will go to $600 million!   Hyper

Abdi's avatarAbdi

Lucky you your in USA.Go buy the Tickets!..........DON'T FORGET TO PICK THE BONUS BALL AS NUMBNER 7,if you don't want $ 540 MIllion pick another number,but don't regret later,rememnber I have told you.

Abdi

JWBlue

I think it is all but certain that there will be at least 2 winners.

I estimate sales will be 344,000,000 tickets.

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by JWBlue on Mar 30, 2012

I think it is all but certain that there will be at least 2 winners.

I estimate sales will be 344,000,000 tickets.

Did you see the 2nd paragraph?

"A now eye-popping 400 million tickets have been sold in just the last 48 hours"

More than that JW!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Mar 30, 2012

"A now eye-popping 400 million tickets have been sold in just the last 48 hours"

More than that JW!

ouch !!!!!....thats a nice lil deal for the MM representatives !!

JWBlue

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Mar 30, 2012

More than that JW!

Extrapolate that to 650 million total tickets.

Minimum of 3 winners.

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Odds were 1 in 175 million now it's 1 in 176 million whoohoo those odds are rough!

Once that first ball drops you'll instantly know if you won or lost the jackpot.

Yep it will happen that fast.

LOL!! The guy in the second video didn't even realize it went to $500 million, he was so surprised.

gocart1's avatargocart1

It would be pretty wild if no one hit the jackpot tonight ....If it were to run the lotto fever sets in again

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

Quote: Originally posted by Nikkicute on Mar 30, 2012

Odds were 1 in 175 million now it's 1 in 176 million whoohoo those odds are rough!

Once that first ball drops you'll instantly know if you won or lost the jackpot.

Yep it will happen that fast.

LOL!! The guy in the second video didn't even realize it went to $500 million, he was so surprised.

Odds r same.. some round up.. some round down.. im getting so anxious don't even know if i wanna check my tickets tonight!!!! lol

LuckyNumber22's avatarLuckyNumber22

Do you all watch the drawing live or come on here to check your numbers like I do? 

I'll probably watch live tonight Cool

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

A millionaire athlete spending $10,000 on tickets and he thinks he is sure to win? He should have gave that money to charity. He will regret it in a few years when he is washed up and broke like many other former athletes now are. Then $10,000 will seem like a lot.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

People will play all their lives and never win, then some newbie who never played before comes along and plays and wins with one ticket. They are clueless, and blow it all and end up with no money in a few years. The lottery plays no favorites. The MM website is really slow today. LOL

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Just did a quick check on the jackpot....no increase as of yet...perhaps by noon

dk1421's avatardk1421

"Washington Wizards player Chris Singleton — who is bringing in somewhere in the area of $1.5 million this season — is one lottery player who is playing with more than one shot — Singleton thinks he's a slam dunk to win after spending $10,000 on tickets."

UGH - Really??!! Like you aren't part of the 1% already? If he wins, I'm egging his house!!!  Wait.... how in the world did he get 10,000 tickets?

The fact that within 48 hours 400 million tickets were bought! Yeah, I'd say several winners. At least one work group, maybe two, and a couple single winners. 

VenomV12

Quote: Originally posted by on Mar 28, 2024

Making terroristic threats on a website that clearly states they log your IP address is generally not considered a great idea.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

This thing has definitely hit a fever pitch.For the first time ever my girlfriend came to me last night and asked me to buy a few tickets.She doesn't even play or like the lottery much but this particular jackpot has become widespread with attention......

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by on Mar 28, 2024

I would love to know how much he won after tonight. I wonder if he wouldn't be to embarressed to share those details. I hate the publicity around this as it encourages addicts to stretch themselves even thinner to compete with the likes of individuals as him. I agree, he should have donated it to charity but who am I to tell a man what he should or shouldn't do with his money. I just hope it doesn't inspire the working class to spend what they don't have going after hat 99.9999999% won't ever get.

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Mar 30, 2012

"Washington Wizards player Chris Singleton — who is bringing in somewhere in the area of $1.5 million this season — is one lottery player who is playing with more than one shot — Singleton thinks he's a slam dunk to win after spending $10,000 on tickets."

UGH - Really??!! Like you aren't part of the 1% already? If he wins, I'm egging his house!!!  Wait.... how in the world did he get 10,000 tickets?

The fact that within 48 hours 400 million tickets were bought! Yeah, I'd say several winners. At least one work group, maybe two, and a couple single winners. 

Everyone from the super rich 1% to the very poor are playing. That is what I like about lotteries. Everyone has a chance to win. Remember this headline:

Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money: Three Already Filthy Rich Connecticut Investment Bankers Win $245 Million Powerball!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Mar 30, 2012

A millionaire athlete spending $10,000 on tickets and he thinks he is sure to win? He should have gave that money to charity. He will regret it in a few years when he is washed up and broke like many other former athletes now are. Then $10,000 will seem like a lot.

More sour grapes again sirbrad!!!     Crying    LOL

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

I have $15.00 in and the more the news covers it this morning, the more I want to put another $5 into it.  Even the news guy said he bought $25 after they finished shooting the clip.  All I know is if another Jack Whittaker tygoon wins it again.....Lord help us all...

rundown99's avatarrundown99

I think there will be three or four winners tonight.

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Mar 30, 2012

LOL!! I was just thinking about you!! Had a feeling when you made your way here you'd see this since

and sirbrad had a back and forth in the other thread but lets leave that over there and let this thread alone.

mcginnin56

LOL!! I was just thinking about you!! Had a feeling when you made your way here you'd see this since

and sirbrad had a back and forth in the other thread but lets leave that over there and let this thread alone.

Absolutely! This needs to be a non-whining site!  Lets get back to the real meat of this thread, $600 million up for grabs.  Party

rad242

Some bloggers seem to be working from the formula of dividing the odds into the number of tickets sold to determine potential number of winners. That's as good a place to start as any but not necessarily accurate in the least. It is just as much likely that 1 person will win as it is 3 can and that's even if anyone wins at all tonight ( I admit that would be a freak of nature if it rolls over).

I have bought QPs before and in the same set combinations were repeated. These machines gerneate at random and every time someone requests a set it starts afresh generating random sets of numbers.

Absolutely! This needs to be a non-whining site!  Lets get back to the real meat of this thread, $600 million up for grabs.  Party

Oh did they raise the jackpot to $600 million?

mcginnin56

Oh did they raise the jackpot to $600 million?

Not yet. However my prediction was that it would be raised twice since Tuesday night, and it was, and I think this will hit $600 million later today.   Yes Nod

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Not yet. However my prediction was that it would be raised twice since Tuesday night, and it was, and I think this will hit $600 million later today.   Yes Nod

With the way ticket sales are going, this evening will be insane! I would not be surprised to see the annuity hit 700 million Eek making the cash option over $500 million Party

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Mar 30, 2012

I would love to know how much he won after tonight. I wonder if he wouldn't be to embarressed to share those details. I hate the publicity around this as it encourages addicts to stretch themselves even thinner to compete with the likes of individuals as him. I agree, he should have donated it to charity but who am I to tell a man what he should or shouldn't do with his money. I just hope it doesn't inspire the working class to spend what they don't have going after hat 99.9999999% won't ever get.

An addict doesn't need publicity in order to "stretch themselves", they're addicts and

they are going to do what they're going to do regardless.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Mar 30, 2012

With the way ticket sales are going, this evening will be insane! I would not be surprised to see the annuity hit 700 million Eek making the cash option over $500 million Party

I would have to agree with you Jill...it's just totally out of control. Lottery terminals everywhere are exploding, melting and catching on fire!   Mad

Some bloggers seem to be working from the formula of dividing the odds into the number of tickets sold to determine potential number of winners. That's as good a place to start as any but not necessarily accurate in the least. It is just as much likely that 1 person will win as it is 3 can and that's even if anyone wins at all tonight ( I admit that would be a freak of nature if it rolls over).

I have bought QPs before and in the same set combinations were repeated. These machines gerneate at random and every time someone requests a set it starts afresh generating random sets of numbers.

That would be a freak of nature!! You may be in Florida but if this puppy rolls and you hear a scream,

that was me!!! I will be hollering! lol

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

That would be a freak of nature!! You may be in Florida but if this puppy rolls and you hear a scream,

Poor Nikki..........its okay, just think of the folks that spent hundreds, thousands or 10 thousand<~~~~  haha

rad242

I miss those days in Racine and Milwaukee....sheets of snow (holding back the tears).

My 6 psychics told me not to cross the border unless it climbs to $750m and that would require it to roll over again (not likely).

That said I will let you have this one. Don't spend it all in one place.

louise black

Blue AngelGOOD MORNING!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD "STOP WITH THE CAR BUSINESS" what? do you people own a dealership or something. You sound like people who didn't have shoes grownig up and decide to buy every shoe their money could buy when they had it. I am sure now there will a car on every blog.Get at it! My mine is on the money anyway I may not win the JP but trust me I will win and it won't a $1.00.Blue AngelBanana

With ticket sales most likely to surpass 600 million, I just can't fathom no one hitting. It will take an act of God for no one to hit but in the unlike scenario that no one did then this baby is BLOWING through the $1 Billion barrier. LurkingPartyHyperBanana

mcginnin56

I miss those days in Racine and Milwaukee....sheets of snow (holding back the tears).

My 6 psychics told me not to cross the border unless it climbs to $750m and that would require it to roll over again (not likely).

That said I will let you have this one. Don't spend it all in one place.

I wish I had just one psychic! Roll Eyes

mcginnin56

With ticket sales most likely to surpass 600 million, I just can't fathom no one hitting. It will take an act of God for no one to hit but in the unlike scenario that no one did then this baby is BLOWING through the $1 Billion barrier. LurkingPartyHyperBanana

Reminds me of an Alice Cooper song from the 70's "Billion Dollar Babies"  Guitar

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Mar 30, 2012

Poor Nikki..........its okay, just think of the folks that spent hundreds, thousands or 10 thousand<~~~~  haha

I Agree! Some folks take it too seriously. There is an NBA player who got 10k worth of tickets guaranteeing he will win LOL ...I have a feeling years down the road he may just regret it.

Who sings that song that goes something like "It's the final countdown"

That's the song I have in my head right now lol

I'm guessing there are "teams" of everything these days. Attorneys, CPA's, Groupies and Psychics Wink

mcginnin56

"Europe", a hot 80's band.    Guitar

aftermath

I just made a deal with my friend that If one of us hits it we give the other 2 million. So i just got another 20 chances at millions for free! hahahahahaha

I thinks it's either Journey or Europe.

mcginnin56

I'm guessing there are "teams" of everything these days. Attorneys, CPA's, Groupies and Psychics Wink

Green laughI'm sure the winner will probably have truck loads of CPA's, Attorney's, and whatever else they deem necessary!

rad242

You got it!

I don't follow their advice unless all are in alignment.

I just saw on the Maryland lottery website that MM just hit 640 million??

$462 million cash option!!!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Sour grapes over what? An overpaid athlete blowing money that he will never see any return from? He will just be padding "my jackpot win tonight." But umm no, I just think he is a "moron" much like you. A few others mentioned this also, how come you did not quote them also and say that they had "sour grapes?" Oh wait I forgot, that is because you are stalking me because I called you out on your BS and phoniness. I am flattered that you wake up looking forward to following me around and quoting me though. Like I said sometimes when you are delusional the facts are stinging. I could buy $10,000 in trickets too but I am not stupid enough to do so. So go stalk someone else now as I will be ignoring you from this point on. Go back to your 200 spamming/trolling posts per day.

Thanks!! that is an 80's band! lol

It's getting closer to that time to see how much they will raise it.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Mega still  says 540........yikes, waaaaay too much drama

aftermath

must be a typo its still 540

mcginnin56

Sour grapes over what? An overpaid athlete blowing money that he will never see any return from? He will just be padding "my jackpot win tonight." But umm no, I just think he is a "moron" much like you. A few others mentioned this also, how come you did not quote them also and say that they had "sour grapes?" Oh wait I forgot, that is because you are stalking me because I called you out on your BS and phoniness. I am flattered that you wake up looking forward to following me around and quoting me though. Like I said sometimes when you are delusional the facts are stinging. I could buy $10,000 in trickets too but I am not stupid enough to do so. So go stalk someone else now as I will be ignoring you from this point on. Go back to your 200 spamming/trolling posts per day.

Blah....blah....blah Save it for something who give's a <snip>, Sir Sour Grapes.   Crying     Green laugh

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Just sent you a pm with the link to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by aftermath on Mar 30, 2012

must be a typo its still 540

I am not so sure it is a TYPO. Illinois Website has the same "MISTAKE" Hmmm....

mcginnin56

I checked MM site and NH lottery website, both still say $540 million.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Mar 30, 2012

I have $15.00 in and the more the news covers it this morning, the more I want to put another $5 into it.  Even the news guy said he bought $25 after they finished shooting the clip.  All I know is if another Jack Whittaker tygoon wins it again.....Lord help us all...

The marketing is working.

GYM RICE

Its up to 640,000,000m now...WOW!!!

mcginnin56

Unbelievable!!!

Thanks Jill!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

I wonder if Illinois and Maryland know something the others don't ???.......probably not

rad242

I will chat with you guys once HRH Todd has published his latest article.

$462 million cash option!!!

This is crazy!!!! lol it just keeps getting bigger!!

mcginnin56

With this "new" Jackpot, looking at about $455 million cash!!!

Gotta pay the bills, off to work I go. Later gang.Sulk Off

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

If the jackpot does get to the 600+ mark..I truly hope one person wins that went to the store and only purchased a single ticket (like it did) ROFL

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

The marketing is working.

You got that right!  I'm going to buy a cheesburger and WILL stop and get another freaking ticket. Unhappy  This is driving me crazy!  I can't wait for this to be over.  This lottery fever is gonna be the death of me!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$462,000,000 cash!
That is well north of $300,000,000 in the bank here in Pennsylvania!
1 ticket ....... 1 winner!

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Mar 30, 2012

$462,000,000 cash!

For people in PA like yourself, that would be $346,500,000 after taxes.Big Grin

rad242

You got that right!  I'm going to buy a cheesburger and WILL stop and get another freaking ticket. Unhappy  This is driving me crazy!  I can't wait for this to be over.  This lottery fever is gonna be the death of me!

Tomorrow will be the pharmacies and liquor stores time to rake in some heavy cash through increased sales.

Xanax and Jack Daniels for the 500 million losers.

Oops! I did it again. See you on the next update.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by louise black on Mar 30, 2012

Blue AngelGOOD MORNING!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD "STOP WITH THE CAR BUSINESS" what? do you people own a dealership or something. You sound like people who didn't have shoes grownig up and decide to buy every shoe their money could buy when they had it. I am sure now there will a car on every blog.Get at it! My mine is on the money anyway I may not win the JP but trust me I will win and it won't a $1.00.Blue AngelBanana

Exactly. Those who blow all their money on cars are usually talentless and lack any creativity, so they fill their garages up with 30 cars to collect dust with. I can tell one of those types as soon as I see them on the lottery changed my life shows. All I need is one great car which I already have, or maybe 2 so I have an extra one. I also won't be needing all those other stupid things like $200 statues and overpriced stuff that just sits around the house. The rest will fund my house and all my hobbies and talents that provide me with even more money. Anything more than two cars is a waste to me. They all do the same thing. But some also crave attention, and this attention is what leads to their bankruptcy sooner than later.

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

does anyone know how many tickets were sold

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Its past noon and no increase as of yet.  No No.....I got that one wrong !!!..HMPH !!.....okay, I am shooting for 3PM for a new update

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

I'm still holding out for the final j/p to be 700M$ for tonight's drawing.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I am a psychic, you will not be winning tonight. There you go. That one was on the house. Green laugh

That's $16,553,847 a year for Wisconsin :)

Its past noon and no increase as of yet.  No No.....I got that one wrong !!!..HMPH !!.....okay, I am shooting for 3PM for a new update

Actually you were right. The jackpot hit 640 million around 11:50AM. Thumbs Up

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Did I see that correct it's at $640 million dollars ????? it's overwhelming .......I went to buy my tickets , and

normally this store isn't crowded , well today , it is ............You can go to any store , etccc and never ever

crowded , today a different story.

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Actually you were right. The jackpot hit 640 million around 11:50AM. Thumbs Up

It's only 11:32 central time and it must of hit $640 awhile ago , just don't know the time .

$323,400,000 divided by 2 =$161,700,000 ( see I have to share this amount with another person )

$161,700,000 would be my share , than , I have to share that amount to Families , Friends , and

Organizations , Tax lawyers , CPA , financial advisors, etc .........Just example ............

I'm going to follow my list , I wrote .

Feisty1

Check some of the other states sites ... its $640 Million now.  UP $100 Million!!!

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Babel

Quote: Originally posted by thePharaoh on Mar 30, 2012

does anyone know how many tickets were sold

Over 600 million tickets sold. You can guesstimate it by taking the current cash jackpot, subtracting the prior cash jackpot, and dividing by .318. 31.8% of sales goes into the jackpot pool.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Does't matter as I said before, anything after about $10 million is moot to me. The rest will just be stacked up collecting dust. So I am not tempted spend more for more that I will never spend. It was already "unbelieveable" after $300 million, even less. Just all marketing. But I always wonder just what the "actual amount" is that the MM is making before they decide how much they want to add to the pot.

GambleToRamble

---- Quote ----

$462,000,000 cash!

-----------------

------------------------

Remember the Jackpot Analysis Payout by State page only takes out the 25% Federal Income Tax withholding.  So you'll still owe an additional 10% for the marginal tax rate of 35%. 

So, without State taxes (and only one winner), your net would be a nice, round $300 million!!!! 

Nice thing is you can bank that additional 10% and earn some interest on it.  Although I doubt you would be able to hold onto it until tax time April 15, 2013.  I would expect that you would be required to make a quarterly tax payment.  But on this amount ($46m), even a few months of interest would be VERY nice.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yeah if it is not won it will get to the billion plus level unless they create a cap, or try and change the rules as they often do. In a way I kinda want to see "Jackpot One Billion Dollars!" "$1,000,000,000!" Now would be about the only time it will happen probably in a LONG time. Look how long it took so far. I thought the PB would be the first to get to that level, but also knew less would be playing with the added cost. So I think the PB will stay about the same levels because of that, and their idea of super jackpots will not work anytime soon because people are still winning it too frequently.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I will take the $20 milllion a year for 26 years. No investment worries, and would still make BANK on a CDAR if I wanted to. After the first year's payment I am set, the rest will bonus money to expand my businesses and help others with my own charities, and other ways.

GambleToRamble

Quote: Originally posted by GambleToRamble on Mar 30, 2012

---- Quote ----

$462,000,000 cash!

-----------------

------------------------

Remember the Jackpot Analysis Payout by State page only takes out the 25% Federal Income Tax withholding.  So you'll still owe an additional 10% for the marginal tax rate of 35%. 

So, without State taxes (and only one winner), your net would be a nice, round $300 million!!!! 

Nice thing is you can bank that additional 10% and earn some interest on it.  Although I doubt you would be able to hold onto it until tax time April 15, 2013.  I would expect that you would be required to make a quarterly tax payment.  But on this amount ($46m), even a few months of interest would be VERY nice.

Earning only 1.5% interest on that additional 10% federal income tax you would owe, would still earn you almost $60,000/month...  times 2 - 3 months...

AmoWin

Amo' Win Amo' Win !

Like my user name, that's what millions of people are thinking today.
We are making history.  100 years from now, they'll be saying about [us] :

"Remember that lotto way back when that went up 100 million in one day?"

"And people were going nuts".  "Now we make 100 million in a week.. . . . "

It's $640 mil., and I know I'm not going to hit it, but it's just fun to
think Amo' Win.

Seiously folks,  it starting not to be fun anymore.   Why?  Because it's not going to be a single first place winner.   Now, the 175 million to one odds has been duplicated several times.

This is what our greed has done. 

We must all pray now that's pray with an "R". Not to win, but for forgiveness for our EXTREME GREED, and I for one am no exception.

Good luck anyway,

I"m glad I'm doing what the gambling committee instructs: " Bet with your head and not above it".

So, I only put $5 Grand into it. 

Just kidding. Not even 1/20th of that.

At any rate, this is just insane, and I'm getting fed up with having to feed this doggone hog.

Somebody please win it.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I am not greedy I just want to be financially secure for the rest of my life. I stated many times that $5 million and up is plenty. Even God actually wants everyone to have prosperity so there is a lot of contradictions there I am not going to go into. For me this is just about fun and is a unique opportunity that would be life-changing in many ways. You also do not know what the winner will do with their money, or how many people they will help. So you can't say anyone is only playing it for greed purposes. That is just an assumption. I don't care how anyone else would spend it and no one needs to care how I would spent it. That is the winner's choice. The people who care about it are the actual greedy ones because they wanted for themselves.

aftermath

Do not take the annual payments!!!!!! If the Lotto declares bankruptsy you will no longer recieve payments. We do not know where the economy is going and the lottery could be gone in 5 years!!!!!!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Wow, $700 million and that old hag in the 3rd video can't even buy her daughter a new car, and wants to give her her old one? Give me a break. I hope she loses. I understand about building values and work ethic, but when you are the winner of the largest jackpot in history it changes things, or at least should. The old frugal rules no longer apply. But it is a car for crying out loud, you can buy a really nice one for $5,000 even. What an old greedy toad. Plus she still would make her daughter go to college and not get her a house. I always hope people like that never win. Sure an education is great, but don't act like almost a billion dollars doesn't change anything and that you need to do the same things as you did when you were not that rich. This kind of money is not for old, boring, thrifty, greedy, frugal people. Have some fun for ONCE in your life!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Do not take the annual payments!!!!!! If the Lotto declares bankruptsy you will no longer recieve payments. We do not know where the economy is going and the lottery could be gone in 5 years!!!!!!

Like I said before it has not happened yet, and I will be set for life after the first payment. I will take my chances with the annuity as opposed to risky investments which DO fall through, and only attract more leeches looking to cash in. I also won't have all the headaches of watching books 24 hours a day, and watching others watching my books, or paying more taxes and having to keep track of where all my money is going. I have been prepared for this for the last 15 years so I know what I am doing but thanks. I don't think the annuity is going anywhere, and if it does the money in my vault and savings account will be more than enough, and enough for some lawsuits if need be.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-reasons-dont-really-want-190000583.html

Hahaha! I knew those articles were coming. I will take my chances thanks.

Gabriela12's avatarGabriela12

No Pity!I have a dream ... a dream .. I dream to go to Santo Domingo and I know .. I dream will come true .. dreams can become realitate.In America dreams can come true.

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

Exactly. Those who blow all their money on cars are usually talentless and lack any creativity, so they fill their garages up with 30 cars to collect dust with. I can tell one of those types as soon as I see them on the lottery changed my life shows. All I need is one great car which I already have, or maybe 2 so I have an extra one. I also won't be needing all those other stupid things like $200 statues and overpriced stuff that just sits around the house. The rest will fund my house and all my hobbies and talents that provide me with even more money. Anything more than two cars is a waste to me. They all do the same thing. But some also crave attention, and this attention is what leads to their bankruptcy sooner than later.

Like Jay Leno?BS

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by ashabug725 on Mar 30, 2012

Like Jay Leno?BS

Jay Leno is a long-time celebrity who built his collection not an instant jackpot winner. But he could meet that criteria though. He is good at one thing, comedy but many would even disagree with that. Nonetheless all his cars are still nothing more than over-spending for the sake of spending. Try looking a little deeper than just the surface next time if you are able to.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

The lottery declaring bankruptcy? LOL Umm I do not see that EVER happening. Do you have any idea how much revenue the lottery generates overall and for the IRS? The lottery is not going anywhere. It is a HUGE mney making vehicle for too many. As long as jobs sucks and the economy is bad the lottery will always be around. It will be regardless.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

The lottery declaring bankruptcy? LOL Umm I do not see that EVER happening. Do you have any idea how much revenue the lottery generates overall and for the IRS? The lottery is not going anywhere. It is a HUGE mney making vehicle for too many. As long as jobs sucks and the economy is bad the lottery will always be around. It will be regardless.

"as long as jobs sucks and the economy is bad...."

hopefully the economy will improve soon,

but jobs will always suck.

AmoWin

Sirbrad,

It's all about greed.  Philanthropic intentions or not. Every thing on this site. Everyone who's here.

We ourselves (you, me, everyone who's played) have devalued the grand prize because of severe greed, making it so big with all these tickets in play. I'm guessing there'll be more than one 1st prizer (20 first prizers minimum).

The odds have been over-lapped several times (176 million to 1).

Just 6 hours to go now.  $640 million.
That's a hum-dinger of a prize. 

I'm wanting to go out and get even more tickets.  But I'm going to go just to see the lines.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I already said before I am not greedy by any means, in fact I have said many times that I would love to win the $12 million jackpot after this one so I am completely invisible. I want to do great things with this money, not for just myself. I just think it is really fun and exciting to be part of. But I would be happy with $3 million or more. But I will take $700 milllion just as quick. But I don't want the fame and attention because nothing good can come out of it in the end.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

I already said before I am not greedy by any means, in fact I have said many times that I would love to win the $12 million jackpot after this one so I am completely invisible. I want to do great things with this money, not for just myself. I just think it is really fun and exciting to be part of. But I would be happy with $3 million or more. But I will take $700 milllion just as quick. But I don't want the fame and attention because nothing good can come out of it in the end.

yea, 3 mils. clear works for me ,thats why i still play my state's 6/49 game.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

So do I, matched 4 of 6 about 20 times throughout the years.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story