2nd Powerball winner from Rhode Island announced

Apr 5, 2012, 8:10 am (23 comments)

Powerball

CRANSTON, R.I. — A Rhode Island woman claimed the second Powerball jackpot in that state in recent months Tuesday — but it fell to her attorney to pose alongside the oversized lottery check.

Kathleen Last of Smithfield, R.I., had the winning ticket in the March 7 drawing for the $60 million Powerball prize, state lottery officials said. She elected to take her winnings in a $37 million lump sum.

Last's attorney represented her at Tuesday's official announcement of her winnings. Attorney Edmund Alves said his client does not welcome the publicity surrounding her windfall. He described Last as a long-time Rhode Island resident in her fifties.

"She is a very private person who just wants to be left alone if possible," Alves said.

Rhode Island residents have been on a lucky streak. An 81-year-old Newport woman claimed a $336.4 million Powerball prize from a Feb. 11 drawing.

Rhode Island will collect $2.2 million in taxes from Last's winnings. The federal government will collect $9.2 million, leaving Last with nearly $25.6 million.

Last intends to devote some of her winnings to helping her family, which includes a disabled niece who requires expensive care, Alves said.

Last set up a trust named the Ohana Trust to formally claim the ticket; ohana is a Hawaiian word meaning "family." Alves said Last used to vacation in Hawaii.

The winning ticket was sold at Quickets convenience store in Smithfield. Last purchased five $2 tickets.

Attempts to reach Last were unsuccessful Tuesday.

While winners are required to identify themselves to claim big jackpots, they're under no obligation to speak publicly. Still, Rhode Island Lottery Director Gerald Aubin said he encourages winners to show up for the customary announcement next to the giant fake check. Otherwise, he said, curious media outlets might track the winner down anyway.

"I advise (winners) to come forward," Aubin said. "But you can't force them to."

Alves said his client has mixed feelings about her good luck. While the jackpot brings great wealth, it also threatens her privacy, he said.

"It is a burden," Alves said of his client's windfall. "It's a responsibility. Obviously, it's a great benefit also."

AP

Comments

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

what the heck?why in the world didn't she form a trust along with having her lawyer confront the media. there was no reason for the media to have her name.

mcginnin56

Yahooo!!Rhodie. Gonna take the next PB to Rhodie? Someday I'm going to write an ode' to old Rhodie!  Type

Factorem's avatarFactorem

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on Apr 5, 2012

what the heck?why in the world didn't she form a trust along with having her lawyer confront the media. there was no reason for the media to have her name.

She did form a Trust. The article said: "Last set up a trust named the Ohana Trust to formally claim the ticket"

She asle sent her lawyer. The article said: "but it fell to her attorney to pose alongside the oversized lottery check.

Kathleen Last of Smithfield, R.I., had the winning ticket in the March 7 drawing for the $60 million Powerball prize, state lottery officials said. She elected to take her winnings in a $37 million lump sum.

Last's attorney represented her at Tuesday's official announcement of her winnings. Attorney Edmund Alves said his client does not welcome the publicity surrounding her windfall."

Under most states Freedom of Information Act(FOIA) laws, and perhaps to varying degrees of it, the media  and the public are entitled to copies of documents that are filed by her or on her behalf with any government agency, which includes the lottery.

Besides, forming a Trust or not forming one, does not provide natural or legal immunity from the media doing its work.

"The R.I lottery boss affirms implicitly,  the Freedom and rights that she has,  as well as that of the media in these words of the article  " While winners are required to identify themselves to claim big jackpots, they're under no obligation to speak publicly. Still, Rhode Island Lottery Director Gerald Aubin said he encourages winners to show up for the customary announcement next to the giant fake check. Otherwise, he said, curious media outlets might track the winner down anyway.

"I advise (winners) to come forward," Aubin said. "But you can't force them to." "

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Little Rhodie... good things come in threes... so we need ONE MORE WIN (soon!)

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Pennsylvania does not allow you to claim via a blind trust.

That is why I will claim using my name and then form a trust. The name of the trust will not be in the media!

Yes Nod

Kumo's avatarKumo

Congrats to Ms. Last! Dance

RI privacy laws suck, but cannot say I have ever heard about a bad person from that state.
I think she ought to be ok, besides she's got the money now to put in a top of the line security system on her home.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Good timing on claiming now while all the baby mama drama is on the I'm Luving it Lady who claims to have won the MM Jackpot.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Apr 5, 2012

Good timing on claiming now while all the baby mama drama is on the I'm Luving it Lady who claims to have won the MM Jackpot.

I Agree!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Apr 5, 2012

Little Rhodie... good things come in threes... so we need ONE MORE WIN (soon!)

What happened to someone from MA?  Crying

Lucky SOB

what a short story, i hope she doesn't lose her head.

winwi5

I think rhode island is one of those states where you have to identify yourself and that sucks because i do not want anyone to find out i won so

i always go play the lottery in sc even though i live in nc because you can claim your prize anonymous in sc and i would were being private and not being bothered by greedy people

This lady will have to move because they have already released her name. I will have my atty to hold a press confrence at the sc lottery office but i will let him know

Please do not give out my name, address nothing about me but i purchased the tickets and i always knew i would win again i will be as low key as possible.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Kudos to her for not speaking to the press.....let the mindless P.O.S press core do their homework if they want to print something.....people could take a lesson in her silence......good for her

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Apr 5, 2012

What happened to someone from MA?  Crying

oh... well that is what I meant... MA to have the winner but it be purchased by a RI player (which they will announce as the nameless owner of the trust from... a small town in RI)!  that would still qualify as three's... yes?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Apr 5, 2012

oh... well that is what I meant... MA to have the winner but it be purchased by a RI player (which they will announce as the nameless owner of the trust from... a small town in RI)!  that would still qualify as three's... yes?

Everything is good now. Order and balance has been restored.   Smash    Harmony may now find it's way to little Rhodie's third well deserved win!

Banana+Banana+Banana= Three Times a Charm for Rockin' Rhodie.   Guitar

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

The attorney Edmund Alves, for Kathleen,the winner of the $60 million jackpot says it threatens her privacy. The attorney should give Kathleen some words of advise. "Get the hell out of Dodge".

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Apr 5, 2012

The attorney Edmund Alves, for Kathleen,the winner of the $60 million jackpot says it threatens her privacy. The attorney should give Kathleen some words of advise. "Get the hell out of Dodge".

I Agree! There is no law that says you must stay in the same town or state that you won in.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats to Ms. Last.......Hurray!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Kumo on Apr 5, 2012

Congrats to Ms. Last! Dance

RI privacy laws suck, but cannot say I have ever heard about a bad person from that state.
I think she ought to be ok, besides she's got the money now to put in a top of the line security system on her home.

I Agree!, Kumo, however, it is still disheartening when someone decides to breach one's security and all of the alarms are going off.  Especially when nobody is found, and security has nothing left to do other than occupy a couple of chairs in your house while you 'try' to sleep, just in case the unfound intruder is still on your grounds!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 5, 2012

I Agree! There is no law that says you must stay in the same town or state that you won in.

Yet.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 6, 2012

Yet.

True.

Yet.

Yikes Ridge!  Don't even put that idea out there for the ethers to circulate! 

The only plan that most of us have (along with winning) - is having Dodge be a faint and fading memory in the rear-view mirror of our vehicles!

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Yet.

Paranoid much?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Apr 6, 2012

Paranoid much?

Bury your head in the sand much?

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story