Four golfers score $30M Lotto Max win

Apr 12, 2012, 9:41 am (71 comments)

Canada Lotto Max

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Four golfers from Langley, British Columbia, have scored their best ever round — a $30 million Lotto Max jackpot.

Lotto Max is a nationwide lottery game played in Canada.

Ian McMurtrie, Wayne Miller, Tom Moryson and Joe Scully, who work together in Langley and are golfing buddies, had the winning ticket in Friday's draw.

McMurtrie was the first to discover the win while watching the TV news Saturday morning and says his wife screamed and collapsed on the floor.

He then signed all four winners' names on the back of the ticket and started calling his friends with the news.

The golf foursome plan trips to famous courses in Pebble Beach, California and St. Andrews, Scotland, as well as to Augusta, Georgia for next year's Masters Tournament.

The winning ticket was a Quick Pick bought at the Otter Co-op in Abbotsford.

Canadian Press

Comments

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the foursome, nice job fellas, enjoy your travels.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

"McMurtrie was the first to discover the win while watching the TV news Saturday morning and says his wife screamed and collapsed on the floor.

He then signed all four winners' names on the back of the ticket and started calling his friends with the news."

Nice - now THAT is the way to run a lottery pool!  Congratulations to all 4!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Apr 12, 2012

"McMurtrie was the first to discover the win while watching the TV news Saturday morning and says his wife screamed and collapsed on the floor.

He then signed all four winners' names on the back of the ticket and started calling his friends with the news."

Nice - now THAT is the way to run a lottery pool!  Congratulations to all 4!

Isn't that called forgery?I'm surprised that the lottery would accept a ticket that has been signed with four signatures by the same person.Just saying.

mcginnin56

Moral Of This Story:

Make sure you live in Canada.  Yes Nod

Always play the Lotto Max on an Easy Pick.   Type

Have a bunch of golf buddies who like to pool.   Thinking of...

Most Importantly:  Prepare in advance, a cushioning floor mat to catch your wife as she collapses.  Coffee

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Group Hug

McMurtrie is 46. He was laid off from the golf industry a week prior to the win.

The other gentlemens are 62,63 & 63.

Congrats on winnin' the Max

and Back to the putting green Hurray!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats to the winners.....Thumbs Up

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

I like the part where the wife screams and then collapses on the floor !!!  ROFL.........yeah yeah, I know...god will punish me ..but it is funny Naughty

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 12, 2012

I like the part where the wife screams and then collapses on the floor !!!  ROFL.........yeah yeah, I know...god will punish me ..but it is funny Naughty

Her mind instantly flooded with bags and shoes and jewelry. Naturally she was overwhelmed with the burden of all that shopping that's ahead of her. Probably will need to hire a personal assistant

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Apr 12, 2012

Her mind instantly flooded with bags and shoes and jewelry. Naturally she was overwhelmed with the burden of all that shopping that's ahead of her. Probably will need to hire a personal assistant

lololol.......reminds me of an old neighbors wife...lololol....but he told me her personal assistant was "BOB"

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 12, 2012

Isn't that called forgery?I'm surprised that the lottery would accept a ticket that has been signed with four signatures by the same person.Just saying.

LOL, I, too, chuckled at this Canadian journalist's poor word choice for "printed."  [They probably, also, have lottery tickets that require names to be printed and also signed at the bottom.]  Oh, these foreign countries!

Shocked

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on Apr 12, 2012

Or, rad242, the man without weekly income's wife had simply become SUPER worried about how she and her husband would be able to survive without income from his ceased job continued; and this super dooper share of the lottery jackpot win rescue news caused her brain to overheat as a result of the shock!

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 12, 2012

Or, rad242, the man without weekly income's wife had simply become SUPER worried about how she and her husband would be able to survive without income from his ceased job continued; and this super dooper share of the lottery jackpot win rescue news caused her brain to overheat as a result of the shock!

The miracle is in the TIMING!

Hum, sometimes a groom simply doesn't understand his bride. Had this large lottery jackpot man known his bride's current emotional state better, he would have known the level of how worried she had been at his loss of income, and thus, he would have timed presenting his big news to her when she was lying down. 

Ah well, another learning experience for the both of them! Congratulations to the jackpot winners! Cheers

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

When I win, I will be the one on the way to the gun shop & then malls!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 12, 2012

Does that lakeside place have a pistol range and a trapshooting/sporting clays area ?

if yes,

that place is lookin better & better,

time*treat's avatartime*treat

But, can he make it happen again, without a winning ticket? Naughty

Lucky SOB

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 12, 2012

if i didnt know any better it sounds like you plan to rob the mall after you win. Well you would have enough money to buy your self a good lawyer or if you hit a major jackpot you can buy the courts.

GGStarlings's avatarGGStarlings

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Apr 12, 2012

But, can he make it happen again, without a winning ticket? Naughty

Ha!  Maybe so.... I have heard that the sudden appearance of big 'n easy money can greatly improve one's mood.

manali

Whats the point of winning millions at old age??

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by manali on Apr 12, 2012

We don't really need it cuz afterall, we'll be dead soon, but we really enjoy winning millions just to piss off the young punks!

That's the best part!

GGStarlings's avatarGGStarlings

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 12, 2012

We don't really need it cuz afterall, we'll be dead soon, but we really enjoy winning millions just to piss off the young punks!

That's the best part!

heh heh

alexnt55

just out of curiosity how old are you and what do you consider old ?

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Yeah, my dream is exactly the same. Take my golf buddies on golf vacations around the world. Pebble Beach, Doral, Myrtle Beach, Palm Springs, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Scotland, etc. Come on Powerball!

Golf Course NC

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Pasture pool?

I'd hire someone to hit those little white balls for me while I sit in the clubhouse enjoying some liquid libation.

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 13, 2012

Pasture pool?

I'd hire someone to hit those little white balls for me while I sit in the clubhouse enjoying some liquid libation.

Come on Clutus, you gotta love it! Isn't golf beautiful?

Hawaii Golf

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Apr 13, 2012

Come on Clutus, you gotta love it! Isn't golf beautiful?

Hawaii Golf

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.All I see is a pasture next to big pond.

Augusta National, my favorite! You gotta love it!

Augusta National

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Augusta National, my favorite! You gotta love it!

Augusta National

Why?

Why?

You're right I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know people who don't like golf too.

Because I enjoy playing golf I get a good feeling when I play golf as well as when I see a pretty golf course.

If you took your lady friend to a place as pretty as Augusta National or Hawaii, she'd appreciate the beauty of it all. It's love! All love.

I guess I fall in love with beautiful things easily. Like her for instance:

Kim Kardashian

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

You're right I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know people who don't like golf too.

Because I enjoy playing golf I get a good feeling when I play golf as well as when I see a pretty golf course.

If you took your lady friend to a place as pretty as Augusta National or Hawaii, she'd appreciate the beauty of it all. It's love! All love.

Kim Kardashian

I agree,that's a nice looking lady.But fall in love with her,I think not.She appears to be too high maintenance for my tastes.If I've learned anything about women in my years on this earth,it's beautiful women know that they're beautiful and will use that beauty against you to get what they want.At my age I don't need the drama in my life.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 12, 2012

Does that lakeside place have a pistol range and a trapshooting/sporting clays area ?

if yes,

that place is lookin better & better,

It is in the "South"! There is bound to be a shooting range nearby!

US Flag

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky SOB on Apr 12, 2012

if i didnt know any better it sounds like you plan to rob the mall after you win. Well you would have enough money to buy your self a good lawyer or if you hit a major jackpot you can buy the courts.

Who said that I was going to rob the MALL!?

Going to get a tactical rifle, tactical shotgun and pocket pistol to ward off the liberal leaches that "know" that they are entitled to a piece of my pie!

You are allowed to shop at both places, this is not New York!

US Flag

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

To live our dreams!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Kim Kardashian

She is a walking money pit!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 13, 2012

She is a walking money pit!

DrumI Agree!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Kim Kardashian

~~ ^^^^^~~ is built for sin, but potential for Drama........CDanaT<----Drama free zone, likes looking at menu but eats at home

DrumI Agree!

Hey Cletus, you don't have to worry about money if you're with Kim Kardashian. Her net worth is reported at $35M and her income is estimated at $12M/yr. She doesn't need a man for money but if you win the $94M Powerball, you'll have more than enough money to hang out with her.

She's already got homes, cars, jewlrey, and her own business. She just wants love and to be with a man who won't try to take advantage of her money. Make sense?

So what she's high maintence, can you blame her? She makes her own money!

Kim Kardashian

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Hey Cletus, you don't have to worry about money if you're with Kim Kardashian. Her net worth is reported at $35M and her income is estimated at $12M/yr. She doesn't need a man for money but if you win the $94M Powerball, you'll have more than enough money to hang out with her.

She's already got homes, cars, jewlrey, and her own business. She just wants love and to be with a man who won't try to take advantage of her money. Make sense?

So what she's high maintence, can you blame her? She makes her own money!

Kim Kardashian

And she loves being the center of attention...just the opposite of me.No thanks,still to much drama.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

And she loves being the center of attention...just the opposite of me.No thanks,still to much drama.

aaaaamen Cletu$     I Agree!

I hear ya Cletus!

Big Smile

manali

Quote: Originally posted by alexnt55 on Apr 13, 2012

just out of curiosity how old are you and what do you consider old ?

Upper 20s...from where i come from 50+ is considered old.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by manali on Apr 13, 2012

Upper 20s...from where i come from 50+ is considered old.

Someday,sooner than you think,if you manage to survive,you will be 50+.I wonder if you'll change your attitude by then.Something tells me that you will.When I was teenager I thought that 21 was "old".When I was your age I thought that 50 was old,too.Since that time I realized that age is only a number.People still have dreams and wants and desires at all ages.Being young and immature doesn't give you a lock on dreams.Everyone has them,even people 50+ years old.

Someday,sooner than you think,if you manage to survive,you will be 50+.I wonder if you'll change your attitude by then.Something tells me that you will.When I was teenager I thought that 21 was "old".When I was your age I thought that 50 was old,too.Since that time I realized that age is only a number.People still have dreams and wants and desires at all ages.Being young and immature doesn't give you a lock on dreams.Everyone has them,even people 50+ years old.

yea, when you are 50+ which i am, you may want to win it even more than a 20 sumthin,

so that you don't have to work til you drop dead.

"I don't want much, I drove every car. Some nice cooked food, some nice clean drawers". Jay-Z

My dream: Banana

Cadillac CTS 2011

My Reality: Sad

1990 Buick LeSabre

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

"I don't want much, I drove every car. Some nice cooked food, some nice clean drawers". Jay-Z

Cadillac CTS 2011

1990 Buick LeSabre

Nice,but i'd prefer a 49 Merc that is "in the weeds",with a chopped Carson top and lake pipes and real tires.Those low profile tires can drive you crazy with their singing as you drive down the road,not to mention they only last about 1/2 as long and cost twice as much as a set of Goodyears or Goodrich tires.I do like the roofline and the fact that the car only has two doors.

Nice,but i'd prefer a 49 Merc that is "in the weeds",with a chopped Carson top and lake pipes and real tires.Those low profile tires can drive you crazy with their singing as you drive down the road,not to mention they only last about 1/2 as long and cost twice as much as a set of Goodyears or Goodrich tires.I do like the roofline and the fact that the car only has two doors.

Yeah it's beautiful ain't it? I didn't know about the low profile tires though. Better to have regular tires. However, what is a 49 Merc? A chopped Carson top with lake pipes? I'm not much of a car buff.

My Dream: Hurray!

Halle Berry

My Reality: Unhappy

My wife

I'm screwed.

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 13, 2012

It is in the "South"! There is bound to be a shooting range nearby!

US Flag

dpoly1,

what i ment was,

is there a pistol range and trapshooting/sporting clays area on your dream property ?

ya know private, just for you and freinds.

Cadillac CTS 2011

1990 Buick LeSabre

your reality car looks pretty well preserved,

what is it ? looks like a buick, about 25 years old

My Dream: Hurray!

Halle Berry

My Reality: Unhappy

My wife

I'm screwed.

this reality is to scary to describe . Scared

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 13, 2012

your reality car looks pretty well preserved,

what is it ? looks like a buick, about 25 years old

Haymaker, it's a 1990 Buick LeSabre. Wanna buy it?  Smiley

this reality is to scary to describe . Scared

Yeah Haymaker, the reality chick is my wife Edethal. She's better looking when she's dressed up but I love her because she loves me so much. She's beautiful on the inside and would do anything for anybody. Dupe Alert

Just kidding I'm not married. Banana

Haymaker, it's a 1990 Buick LeSabre. Wanna buy it?  Smiley

thanks, that could become a collector, but i have to many vehicles as it is.

Yeah Haymaker, the reality chick is my wife Edethal. She's better looking when she's dressed up but I love her because she loves me so much. She's beautiful on the inside and would do anything for anybody. Dupe Alert

ohh...LOL thought you were gonna tell me it was a halloween coustume.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Yeah it's beautiful ain't it? I didn't know about the low profile tires though. Better to have regular tires. However, what is a 49 Merc? A chopped Carson top with lake pipes? I'm not much of a car buff.

A 49 Merc is 1949 Mercury.A chopped Carson top is basicly a convertible top made to lift-off of the car.Lake pipes are an exhaust system that is chromed and runs along the outside of the body of the car instead of underneath the car.I don't know how to post pics or I would post a pic of the finest 49 Merc that I can ever remember seeing.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

dpoly1,

what i ment was,

is there a pistol range and trapshooting/sporting clays area on your dream property ?

ya know private, just for you and freinds.

No there is not ........... I want to have peace and quiet .............. which is the opposite of living at my present house.

Around here you just target practice in the back yard .............. not too safe ........and you run chain saws, back hoes, crush junk cars, burn anything that will burn,............. 

Trying to get away from these nuts!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

A 49 Merc is 1949 Mercury.A chopped Carson top is basicly a convertible top made to lift-off of the car.Lake pipes are an exhaust system that is chromed and runs along the outside of the body of the car instead of underneath the car.I don't know how to post pics or I would post a pic of the finest 49 Merc that I can ever remember seeing.

I don't know how to post pics,but I know how to post links.I hope Todd does'nt mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230765435002+&viewitem=

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Well Golfer...I was gonna say that the Mrs looked like Phyllis Diller 2010 model and you are a better man than I am.........whewww, don't scare us old fuddy duddys like that !!  No Nod

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 13, 2012

Well Golfer...I was gonna say that the Mrs looked like Phyllis Diller 2010 model and you are a better man than I am.........whewww, don't scare us old fuddy duddys like that !!  No Nod

She looks like the picture on an old Fleetwood Mac album cover!

I don't know how to post pics,but I know how to post links.I hope Todd does'nt mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230765435002+&viewitem=

Hey Cletus, that is a really cool car man!!!! It looks like a serious gangster mobile! I love the color too.

To post a picture you need to find a photo you like on the web, then when you start your posting, click the button in the tool bar called "insert/edit image". Copy the web URL of your photo in the URL field, name the photo and then click "insert". Done! Todd sent me instructions on how to to it when I kept messing up.

These cars are expensive I see. About $45K! I hope you win Powerball and get one!

Here's my honor to you Cletus (I hope you like it):

1950 Merc

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 13, 2012

Hi Dana, you're right she does look like Phyllis Diller!! Good call!

Here's the real Phyllis:

Phyllis Diller

Hi Dana, you're right she does look like Phyllis Diller!! Good call!

Here's the real Phyllis:

Phyllis Diller

either way, Scared

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Hey Cletus, that is a really cool car man!!!! It looks like a serious gangster mobile! I love the color too.

To post a picture you need to find a photo you like on the web, then when you start your posting, click the button in the tool bar called "insert/edit image". Copy the web URL of your photo in the URL field, name the photo and then click "insert". Done! Todd sent me instructions on how to to it when I kept messing up.

These cars are expensive I see. About $45K! I hope you win Powerball and get one!

1950 Merc

Yeah,they are VERY expensive,but much more fun than the cars built today.I'm crazy for custom cars & trucks.I have a '55 Ford panel truck that I've been building for the past few years.I don't see myself ever getting it finished because of the cost.I'd be happy to just get it back on the road.

1950 Merc

I remember one like that, when i was like 7 years old, (1963)

not as nice though.

Yeah,they are VERY expensive,but much more fun than the cars built today.I'm crazy for custom cars & trucks.I have a '55 Ford panel truck that I've been building for the past few years.I don't see myself ever getting it finished because of the cost.I'd be happy to just get it back on the road.

Cletus, these are the cars that my father drove and he said that the old cars were built better than today's cars too. I never heard of a Ford Panel Truck either but I found one. You've got great taste in cars. Are you into retro cars or did you grow up on those days?

I hope you get yours finished and back on the road soon. This baby is sweet!!!

1955 Ford Panel Truck:

1955 Ford Panel Truck

Cletus, these are the cars that my father drove and he said that the old cars were built better than today's cars too. I never heard of a Ford Panel Truck either but I found one. You've got great taste in cars. Are you into retro cars or did you grow up on those days?

1955 Ford Panel Truck:

1955 Ford Panel Truck

way cool !

Haymaker & Cletus,

I'm not an SUV owner but I really like the front grill and the dark windows on this 2010 Lincoln MKX. I would definetly buy one of these just because I love the way it looks. What do you guys think?

2010 Lincoln MKX

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

1955 Ford Panel Truck:

1955 Ford Panel Truck

golpher1960,Your dad sounds like a guy I'd like to meet & talk cars with.Ford panel trucks of the mid-50's are pretty rare.They built less than 10,000 in 1955.They built a few more of them in 1954 & 1953.You have to look pretty close at them to tell what year they are.Ford also built a built a panel in 1956 with a different A-pillar (the pillar at the front of the door)Some people think that the '56 is a nicer looking truck but I think the real reason they like it is it makes it easier to chop the top.Just to give you an idea what it costs to restore an older truck,the parking lights lenses alone costs over $100.The chrome pieces that the parking lights are set in are another $100 apiece.That chrome front bumper costs about $400 (these are 1995 prices).I'm sure that the prices have gone up.There are hundreds of parts on the panel truck that will need to be replaced to make the truck look as nice the one in your picture.Chrome gets pitted so a person will either have to have many parts rechromed or buy new parts like mirrors and door handles and ford badges and tailight housings and the list goes on & on.Restoring a car or truck ain't for the week of heart!My panel has a fiberglass front end that tilts forward to show off the engine.I paid over $1000.00 for it in 2001.I'd hate to think what it would cost today.I've got over $10,000 dollars in it and its just taking up space in my garage.I'll need to win a lottery just to finish it.~;)

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 14, 2012

golpher1960,Your dad sounds like a guy I'd like to meet & talk cars with.Ford panel trucks of the mid-50's are pretty rare.They built less than 10,000 in 1955.They built a few more of them in 1954 & 1953.You have to look pretty close at them to tell what year they are.Ford also built a built a panel in 1956 with a different A-pillar (the pillar at the front of the door)Some people think that the '56 is a nicer looking truck but I think the real reason they like it is it makes it easier to chop the top.Just to give you an idea what it costs to restore an older truck,the parking lights lenses alone costs over $100.The chrome pieces that the parking lights are set in are another $100 apiece.That chrome front bumper costs about $400 (these are 1995 prices).I'm sure that the prices have gone up.There are hundreds of parts on the panel truck that will need to be replaced to make the truck look as nice the one in your picture.Chrome gets pitted so a person will either have to have many parts rechromed or buy new parts like mirrors and door handles and ford badges and tailight housings and the list goes on & on.Restoring a car or truck ain't for the week of heart!My panel has a fiberglass front end that tilts forward to show off the engine.I paid over $1000.00 for it in 2001.I'd hate to think what it would cost today.I've got over $10,000 dollars in it and its just taking up space in my garage.I'll need to win a lottery just to finish it.~;)

Wow Cletus, I don't have any hobbies that are that expensive! Smile But I appreciate the love and work it takes to restore one of those beauties. Good luck with your's that is in your garage. There's $113M up for grabs tonight in Powerball, I hope you've got a ticket! Good luck!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Apr 14, 2012

Wow Cletus, I don't have any hobbies that are that expensive! Smile But I appreciate the love and work it takes to restore one of those beauties. Good luck with your's that is in your garage. There's $113M up for grabs tonight in Powerball, I hope you've got a ticket! Good luck!

Next time you are driving down the road and you see an old car that obviously has been restored (or hot rodded),just think back to this conversation and remember that some people prefer to drive old cars,not because they are cheaper to drive than todays cars,but because they enjoy the beauty of the cars of yesterday.Cars have a beauty about them that is timeless.Us car lovers are as passionate about our cars as you are about your golf courses.We know that not everyone loves cars as much as we do,but we also know that many,many people love to look at our cars and reminence (sp?) about years gone by.Thats part of the fun,putting a smile on all those faces.When you are driving down the road and you happen to see a cruise in or a car show,stop to look at the cars (most car shows are free to the public) and talk to the owners of the cars.You'll find that they are a friendly bunch of guys and gals that would love to tell you about their car.Take care.And yes,I have a ticket for tonights Poweball drawing.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Group Hug

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story