NY lottery winner charged with welfare fraud

Apr 13, 2012, 4:37 pm (118 comments)

New York Lottery

ALBION, N.Y. — Apparently one New York resident thinks getting $1,000 a week for life is not enough, and the taxpayers should give him more.

A western New York lottery winner has been accused of improperly receiving more than $4,000 in public assistance.

The Orleans County sheriff's office says 51-year-old Anthony Palermo of Albion began receiving $1,000 a week in 1998 after winning the "Win for Life" scratch-off lottery game. Police said Thursday that Palermo applied for and began receiving Medicaid and heating assistance benefits last fall.

Palermo was charged with welfare fraud, grand larceny and offering a false instrument for filing. He was released on his own recognizance and will be arraigned Tuesday.

It could not be determined Friday morning if Palermo had a lawyer.

AP

Comments

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

What is up with him that $1000 every week was not enough?

A lot of things have gone up in prices since 1998 but still, $1000 a week should have covered it no?

I can't wait to hear his excuse, does he have two houses like the other welfare fraud lottery winner?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

No he didn't !!!!!! Shame on you Mr. Palermo No No there are people that really needed this assistance but can't get it because of people like you....

CARBOB

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Apr 13, 2012

No he didn't !!!!!! Shame on you Mr. Palermo No No there are people that really needed this assistance but can't get it because of people like you....

The problem is, they have no shame. There are millions of them out there, abusing the system.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by CARBOB on Apr 13, 2012

The problem is, they have no shame. There are millions of them out there, abusing the system.

I Agree! And yet they won't send them to prison where they belong.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

OUTSTANDING taxpayer !!!!  Fine example of a human being !!!.....How much is enough ?.....Time for some crowbar pajamas !!!

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 13, 2012

I Agree! And yet they won't send them to prison where they belong.

"offering a false instrument for filing."

Some Win for Life games payoff in quarterly payments while others are annual. He probably borrowed against his future payments, ran out of money, got a part time job, and used that for a record of earnings to get assistance. He probably hoped they would never find yearly lottery income.

I doubt he'll go to prison, but he can say goodbye to Medicaid and the heating assistance and will be ordered to make restitution.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Nikkicute on Apr 13, 2012

What is up with him that $1000 every week was not enough?

A lot of things have gone up in prices since 1998 but still, $1000 a week should have covered it no?

I can't wait to hear his excuse, does he have two houses like the other welfare fraud lottery winner?

We only hear about it when a lottery winner is defrauding the welfare system, but for everyone of those, there are probably thousands of others doing the same thing. Is it just me or has anyone else see many people getting 5 cases or more of soft drinks and paying for it with a Red, White, and Blue EBT card?

tntea's avatartntea

He should have to pay back all that he has received for assistance.. or forfeit his weekly lottery checks and continue with the assistance.

sully16's avatarsully16

Anyone who wants to see the epitome of welfare fraud come spend the day at work with me, just today we had a fine young man buy 9 cases of REDBULL, At 35 dollars a case plus 2.40 in deposits per case which the tax payers shell out for that comes to $336.60, He did buy food, Famous Amos cookies, beef jerky, Hot pockets and the ever popular pop tarts, and yes I hope the Beef Jerky falls on the floor and the dog eats it. Oh he's wheeling 283, so anyone in Michigan who feels lucky you can play his number also, couldn't tell you what his mega- million numbers are.

The guy in this story needs to go to prison.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 13, 2012

Anyone who wants to see the epitome of welfare fraud come spend the day at work with me, just today we had a fine young man buy 9 cases of REDBULL, At 35 dollars a case plus 2.40 in deposits per case which the tax payers shell out for that comes to $336.60, He did buy food, Famous Amos cookies, beef jerky, Hot pockets and the ever popular pop tarts, and yes I hope the Beef Jerky falls on the floor and the dog eats it. Oh he's wheeling 283, so anyone in Michigan who feels lucky you can play his number also, couldn't tell you what his mega- million numbers are.

i agree he needs to go to prison, but won't that cost us even more ?

seems like they defy solutions.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 13, 2012

i agree he needs to go to prison, but won't that cost us even more ?

seems like they defy solutions.

Yep your right, but just maybe it will send a message that this fraud will not be tolerated, nothing like losing your freedom. Silly me, we are losing our freedom and dingbats like him will continue to vote for the scum thats taking it away from us.

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

Yep your right, but just maybe it will send a message that this fraud will not be tolerated, nothing like losing your freedom. Silly me, we are losing our freedom and dingbats like him will continue to vote for the scum thats taking it away from us.

just say O bama....

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

wow.  That is alot of crap-tastic nutritionally-black-hole-certified food.  And he got to do that on the taxpayers dime.  Amazing.

... well except for the poptarts... (heh heh heh)

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

ohh dear oh dear, are we REALLY going to go there and speak for the TAXPAYERS?? Here let me run this down for all those that gripe, your hard earned money that gets taxed goes more towards bombs, ammo and securing our overseas allies then your ten cents chipped over to welfare or the likes. More of your tax dollars go towards Defense buying ( military tanks can run in the contracted millions!) and researching whether the great elm has a disease then the guy who bought redbull.

I care more about how we toss educational programs to the side and think that keeping illegal aliens helps the restaurant industry and the farming industry at a minimum cost.  Stop chasing the nickel and dimers and start thinking about where your REAL TAX money is spent on...it is NOT to the people...

(done rant)

As for this NY guy, he needs a reality check written out to him instead of a lottery proceeds each year.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Apr 13, 2012

ohh dear oh dear, are we REALLY going to go there and speak for the TAXPAYERS?? Here let me run this down for all those that gripe, your hard earned money that gets taxed goes more towards bombs, ammo and securing our overseas allies then your ten cents chipped over to welfare or the likes. More of your tax dollars go towards Defense buying ( military tanks can run in the contracted millions!) and researching whether the great elm has a disease then the guy who bought redbull.

I care more about how we toss educational programs to the side and think that keeping illegal aliens helps the restaurant industry and the farming industry at a minimum cost.  Stop chasing the nickel and dimers and start thinking about where your REAL TAX money is spent on...it is NOT to the people...

(done rant)

As for this NY guy, he needs a reality check written out to him instead of a lottery proceeds each year.

Our military deserves every nickel they get and should get more.

The teachers union scammers should be cut off and the welfare scammers should be locked up and the extra money given to the military.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 13, 2012

The teachers union scammers should be cut off and the welfare scammers should be locked up and the extra money given to the military.

I concur.  Our military deserves the pay it receives.  I suppose I could have written my post more clearly.  Our welfare system is broken.  There is not a time when we should be giving unrestricted $$$ to those who have been declared by some moving-target formula - as needy.  If they are needy for food/nutrition, then give them food through the local food bank or excess food from farmers, or food that has a short shelf-life remaining.  If they are needy for housing, then give the money directly to those who house them.

Should those 'on the dole' desire more freedom to spend (arguably) their money, then get education (provided through low-cost/no-cost government programs) and get a better job, more pay, work harder, work smarter.

Those who have gone through the system would be perfect resources AFTER getting out of it, to be on a 'non-compensated' task-force to help fix it (as part of the 'pay-back' for having been in the system).

As far as this 'gentleman's' lottery win?  Too bad there is not something in the lottery by-laws that allows the winner to forfeit should they scam the government.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Apr 13, 2012

I concur.  Our military deserves the pay it receives.  I suppose I could have written my post more clearly.  Our welfare system is broken.  There is not a time when we should be giving unrestricted $$$ to those who have been declared by some moving-target formula - as needy.  If they are needy for food/nutrition, then give them food through the local food bank or excess food from farmers, or food that has a short shelf-life remaining.  If they are needy for housing, then give the money directly to those who house them.

Should those 'on the dole' desire more freedom to spend (arguably) their money, then get education (provided through low-cost/no-cost government programs) and get a better job, more pay, work harder, work smarter.

Those who have gone through the system would be perfect resources AFTER getting out of it, to be on a 'non-compensated' task-force to help fix it (as part of the 'pay-back' for having been in the system).

As far as this 'gentleman's' lottery win?  Too bad there is not something in the lottery by-laws that allows the winner to forfeit should they scam the government.

Roger that, max.    Thumbs Up

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Apr 13, 2012

(done rant)

55 million people on welfare, thats over 3 and a half BILLION A YEAR

If you can afford lottery, beer, cigarettes you don't need me to feed you.

If you can afford private school, ballet lessons, karate lessons, music lessons, you don't need me to feed your kids.

The military, believe it or not, is there to keep people from killing us, oh yes, remember the guys who flew planes into our buildings ?

Redbull guy is not a nickle and dimer, not when he threw down over 400 dollars on crap. Besides, he has no intention of drinking that much redbull, he'll sell it , running an illegal business on tax payer dollars, he's not the only one.

That is not okay, it will never be okay.

Welfare is for the most desperate, not for thieves who have found a way at easy money at the expense of people who work their asses off, and have nothing to show for it, because the tax man took it and gave it to someone else.

If you can afford private school, ballet lessons, karate lessons, music lessons, you don't need me to feed your kids.

The military, believe it or not, is there to keep people from killing us, oh yes, remember the guys who flew planes into our buildings ?

Redbull guy is not a nickle and dimer, not when he threw down over 400 dollars on crap. Besides, he has no intention of drinking that much redbull, he'll sell it , running an illegal business on tax payer dollars, he's not the only one.

Welfare is for the most desperate, not for thieves who have found a way at easy money at the expense of people who work their asses off, and have nothing to show for it, because the tax man took it and gave it to someone else.

you have the patience of a saint,

don't know how you tolerate seeing this stuff.

keep on keepin on and good luck.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 13, 2012

you have the patience of a saint,

don't know how you tolerate seeing this stuff.

keep on keepin on and good luck.

Thanks Haymaker, I am running out of patience, We got people running catering businesses with their food stamps, people who plop their young kids outside to sell the candy they bought, drug addicts who give their food stamps to gas station or party store owners. The fraud is endless and it's not okay because the government is wasting money elsewhere, they shouldn't be wasting any of our money anywhere.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Well said, sully.

Graft and corruption don't bother the left at all.

It's their lifeblood. It's expected. It's demanded.

They love the crooks because they are the crooks. 

And they hate our military with a passion.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

he should do what the rest of them do; if you want to defraud and rip off the public. run for public office  legitimately.

Jake's avatarJake

A lottery operated by the State.  An individual applying for and receiving State benefits (and potentially Federal money too).  So, how difficult could it possibly be to put in place a database of major winners for cross-referencing on things like welfare, child support, unpaid criminal fines, etc.?  I know some states are just coming on board with this in particular relating to child support, but after all, this is the 21st Century, right?  How technologically forward thinking and backward moving can a society be? 

loonasee2's avatarloonasee2

Shame on you Tony and HIGH FIVE^ to law enforcement.

Side note ;If your milking the system don't play the lottery ,

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Jake on Apr 14, 2012

A lottery operated by the State.  An individual applying for and receiving State benefits (and potentially Federal money too).  So, how difficult could it possibly be to put in place a database of major winners for cross-referencing on things like welfare, child support, unpaid criminal fines, etc.?  I know some states are just coming on board with this in particular relating to child support, but after all, this is the 21st Century, right?  How technologically forward thinking and backward moving can a society be? 

Jake .....Most of the heavily populated states that I am aware of already have this in place if you win....I know here in FL if you have any outstanding debt to be paid that is court affiliated/taxes, its taken before you collect a dime.....My question is if this system is already in place when you collect then why isn't the reverse in place when you go to ask for assistance............... Maybe N.Y. isn't up to date yet.   What?

tryintohit's avatartryintohit

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Apr 13, 2012

We only hear about it when a lottery winner is defrauding the welfare system, but for everyone of those, there are probably thousands of others doing the same thing. Is it just me or has anyone else see many people getting 5 cases or more of soft drinks and paying for it with a Red, White, and Blue EBT card?

What difference does it make how many cases of soft drinks a person buys with THEIR EBT BENEFITS. Nobody tells you how to spend your money when you are grocery shopping... I am so tired of hearing people harp on folks because they receive food stamps. Somebody had to help your ass at one time. All in all I think it is just jealousy because their asses make too much to receive government assistance. I know I probably will get a lot of back lash for this comment but who cares! Bring it on Troll!!Rant

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

Teacher unions don't get any money for the union from the taxpayers.  It is member supported.  A teacher's salary is what comes from local and state government and is based upon their criteria.  So if a teacher wants to support the union, they pay their dues every month out of their paycheck.

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Apr 13, 2012

A lot of the food banks here are in dire straights.  They are giving at their max capacity and sometimes it is still not enough.  I think if there were more jobs, then so many wouldn't be on public assistance.  People who lost jobs during the past 3 years are still not completely back.  We need industries that can compete with the garbage that China is dumping in America.  Welfare cheats are bad but SSI cheaters are the worse of the lot.  I know whole families drawing SSI.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by tryintohit on Apr 14, 2012

What difference does it make how many cases of soft drinks a person buys with THEIR EBT BENEFITS. Nobody tells you how to spend your money when you are grocery shopping... I am so tired of hearing people harp on folks because they receive food stamps. Somebody had to help your ass at one time. All in all I think it is just jealousy because their asses make too much to receive government assistance. I know I probably will get a lot of back lash for this comment but who cares! Bring it on Troll!!Rant

Try,,,,,, While I understand your point about the right of choice, there is one area in your 2nd sentence that does create a major opposition to your point of view......"Nobody tells you how to spend your money when you are grocery shopping"........The difference being is I have earned the money and it is all mine to spend it as how I see fit. It was not a benefit from other taxpayers that is set up purposely to purchase quality, necessary food items.....
      People aren't harping about the needy receiving of food stamps. They are complaining about the food stamps being used to purchase items that aren't necessary to exist. Thus the complaints about, "how many cases of soft drinks a person buys"
. Because soft drinks aren't a necessity. They never have been nor will they ever be.
      "All in all I think it is just jealousy because their asses make too much to receive government assistance".....Its not a jealousy issue, its a valid complaint that purchasing unnecessary items for general living is NOT what the program was designed for...........
  This article was written about a sneak trying to cheat the system because he was being a greedy individual, instead of someone who actually needed the help.

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 14, 2012

Try,,,,,, While I understand your point about the right of choice, there is one area in your 2nd sentence that does create a major opposition to your point of view......"Nobody tells you how to spend your money when you are grocery shopping"........The difference being is I have earned the money and it is all mine to spend it as how I see fit. It was not a benefit from other taxpayers that is set up purposely to purchase quality, necessary food items.....
      People aren't harping about the needy receiving of food stamps. They are complaining about the food stamps being used to purchase items that aren't necessary to exist. Thus the complaints about, "how many cases of soft drinks a person buys"
. Because soft drinks aren't a necessity. They never have been nor will they ever be.
      "All in all I think it is just jealousy because their asses make too much to receive government assistance".....Its not a jealousy issue, its a valid complaint that purchasing unnecessary items for general living is NOT what the program was designed for...........
  This article was written about a sneak trying to cheat the system because he was being a greedy individual, instead of someone who actually needed the help.

I Agree! well written CD.......

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Well said, sully.

Graft and corruption don't bother the left at all.

It's their lifeblood. It's expected. It's demanded.

They love the crooks because they are the crooks. 

And they hate our military with a passion.

I Agree!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Apr 14, 2012

A lot of the food banks here are in dire straights.  They are giving at their max capacity and sometimes it is still not enough.  I think if there were more jobs, then so many wouldn't be on public assistance.  People who lost jobs during the past 3 years are still not completely back.  We need industries that can compete with the garbage that China is dumping in America.  Welfare cheats are bad but SSI cheaters are the worse of the lot.  I know whole families drawing SSI.

I agree about SSI. I became ill in 1987 & applied for disability. I worked until 2008 & stopped working because my employer said that I should stop. I started SSDI in 2009 & did not need a lawyer to get it. The cheaters make me angry because I worked until I could not go anymore!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

I Agree!  People don't seem to care if the welfare cheats are robbing us taxpayers blind.Wefare isn't money from heaven,it's from the taxes that WORKING PEOPLE pay to help those that are less fortunate than us.Don't let the welfare cheats keep ripping off the hand that feeds them,send them to prison where they belong!

GYM RICE

911 told me exactly what our government was doing when it didn't close the borders at all during and after the attack. Their goal is obviously to keep growing the government no matter what and at all cost. And they want us to fight amoungst ourselves over things like this. This guy never should have gotten through the paper work  to be able to collect any sort of services after his winnings(i would think). And the fact that he did is a problem with the people running the system more so then this guy here.  We know these types of people exist by the millions. And we shouldn't have to deal with the rollar coaster of emotions over this because of the people who created the system yet don't want to regulate it.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Teacher unions don't get any money for the union from the taxpayers.  It is member supported.  A teacher's salary is what comes from local and state government and is based upon their criteria.  So if a teacher wants to support the union, they pay their dues every month out of their paycheck.

Time to come out from under that rock you must live under, Littleoldlady.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/union_classic_le_en_jrQKCmKdjWQbMAtzqHASxI

1,000 per week = 52,000 per year... less approximation for taxes of 40% = 31,200...

that really isnt THAT much...

so mayhap he did not want to WORK any longer and was looking for more 'free' money to augment the 2,400-3,000 he was clearing each month (depending on either a 4 or 5 week month)

too bad he did not consider the 1k/week to be 'get over' money and simply keep his job...

Lucky SOB

the guy was getting 1k a week and still needed handouts. please dont tell me this guy quit his job or stoped working cause he thought he was set for life. that 1k a week was suppose to make life a bit easier for him not give him the right to rip off the tax payers. wish his winnings would go to paying back what he stole.

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 14, 2012

I Agree!  People don't seem to care if the welfare cheats are robbing us taxpayers blind.Wefare isn't money from heaven,it's from the taxes that WORKING PEOPLE pay to help those that are less fortunate than us.Don't let the welfare cheats keep ripping off the hand that feeds them,send them to prison where they belong!

Wouldn't throwing them in prison cost even more money than they're already losing?  And our prisons are overcrowded as it is... hardened criminals being turned out into the streets because the government insists upon locking up non-violent pot smokers...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Apr 14, 2012

Wouldn't throwing them in prison cost even more money than they're already losing?  And our prisons are overcrowded as it is... hardened criminals being turned out into the streets because the government insists upon locking up non-violent pot smokers...

We need to keep all them non-violent, peace-freak, tree-huggin', pothead-pansies in jail where they belong.

They need to learn about law and order!

Chain-Gang Style!

Yeah, Boss!

I said LAW and AWDUH! You heah me, boy?

Yessuh, Boss!

Dam hippies.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Pot smokers are breaking the law.Don't like the law?Change it.Until then,do your time.

Stack47

It's obvious there is no point in explaining to you why people get EBT benefits and who is paying for those benefits.

"Nobody tells you how to spend your money when you are grocery shopping."

Because I give the clerk cash or my debit/credit card using the money I EARNED. I even bought a cell phone and pay for using it from my EARNINGS unlike the free cell phones and free minutes our taxes are paying for.

"Somebody had to help your ass at one time."

That "somebody" certainly wasn't the tax payers, though I was asked if I wanted to buy cases of soft drinks at a greatly reduced price from "somebody" who bought them using their EBT card.

"All in all I think it is just jealousy because their asses make too much to receive government assistance."

You apparently don't think at all if you find no problem with people getting assistance when they "make too much to receive government assistance". Which part of "Palermo was charged with welfare fraud, grand larceny and offering a false instrument for filing" don't you understand?

"Bring it on Troll!!"

You're probably just upset because your state lottery doesn't accept EBT cards as payment for lottery tickets.

Stack47

I did not know people are using their EBT cards to buy pot and other illegal drugs too. And I here I thought buying 9 cases of soft drinks and/or Red Bull was suspect.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

The article didn't indicate if this NY Lottery annual annuity collector has any dependants currently.  That information would help to understand his "annual expenses" situation better.  And knowing if a job layoff situation is involved.

US Flag

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

52k a year, is equal to... just over $1 mill in the bank at %5.   now if only you could get %5 at a bank, its prob closer to $2 mill at your current bank rates.

alexnt55

What is Red Bull?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by alexnt55 on Apr 14, 2012

What is Red Bull?

A very expensive energy drink in a little tiny can.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 14, 2012

The article didn't indicate if this NY Lottery annual annuity collector has any dependants currently.  That information would help to understand his "annual expenses" situation better.  And knowing if a job layoff situation is involved.

US Flag

While it's true the article doesn't say how many dependents he has, it does say "Palermo was charged with welfare fraud, grand larceny and offering a false instrument for filing". With enough dependents it's possible with a yearly gross income of $52,000, he could still get some assistance, but if he had enough depndents, they wouldn't have filed charges.

Stack47

What is Red Bull?

The North Koreans launching a rocket into space.

Simba774

What is unnecessary items? They can buy 20 cases of soda if they want to.  If you like something you're going to buy a lot of it. The program was designed to help people in need. Just because you like to eat a lot of something doesn't mean you're not in need. When I was young we received benefits and we would take a one dollar food stamp(That's all you needed back then) and buy snacks after school. I come from New Orleans and Po' boys are a famous New Orleans sandwich. You were able to buy cold Po' boys with food stamps. A cold Po' boy sandwich is made with any kind of deli meat. You were able to buy seafood too.

Simba774

You can always work in a department store since you get angry whenever someone buys stuff you don't want them to buy with their benefits.

Simba774

What is Red Bull?

Britney Spears' oxygen.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Apr 15, 2012

You can always work in a department store since you get angry whenever someone buys stuff you don't want them to buy with their benefits.

Acutally We'll just keep working to have food stamps taken away from the people who commit fraud, an continue to have welfare eradicated from our state all together.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Apr 15, 2012

What is unnecessary items? They can buy 20 cases of soda if they want to.  If you like something you're going to buy a lot of it. The program was designed to help people in need. Just because you like to eat a lot of something doesn't mean you're not in need. When I was young we received benefits and we would take a one dollar food stamp(That's all you needed back then) and buy snacks after school. I come from New Orleans and Po' boys are a famous New Orleans sandwich. You were able to buy cold Po' boys with food stamps. A cold Po' boy sandwich is made with any kind of deli meat. You were able to buy seafood too.

Really Simba ??  Buying 20 cases of soda isn't unnecessary ?  REALLY ??...come awwwn, do you seriously consider SODA and SEAFOOD a necessity for daily living?  Would you mind showing me on any food value chart where soda falls into a necessity?  I am open minded about health and if you can seriously show me that soda is a necessary daily item, then I will be more than happy to adjust my way of approaching consumption of that product. You actually believe people should be using their food stamp money for soda because" they want to" ??  Wow, that is one unique way of making sure health and nutrition is served at a meal.  Guess I was raised with a different set of values for necessity for food consumption......oh well...such is life.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 15, 2012

Acutally We'll just keep working to have food stamps taken away from the people who commit fraud, an continue to have welfare eradicated from our state all together.

Granted the story we're talking about is example of someone getting caught committing welfare fraud where criminal charges were filed, but there are thousands of other examples seen everyday that probably are lesser examples of why the system is being abused. If and when the system is eradicated because of widespread abuse, it won't be the fault of those us who have noticed it.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 15, 2012

Really Simba ??  Buying 20 cases of soda isn't unnecessary ?  REALLY ??...come awwwn, do you seriously consider SODA and SEAFOOD a necessity for daily living?  Would you mind showing me on any food value chart where soda falls into a necessity?  I am open minded about health and if you can seriously show me that soda is a necessary daily item, then I will be more than happy to adjust my way of approaching consumption of that product. You actually believe people should be using their food stamp money for soda because" they want to" ??  Wow, that is one unique way of making sure health and nutrition is served at a meal.  Guess I was raised with a different set of values for necessity for food consumption......oh well...such is life.

CD, Most of these people have no clue that the rest of us are working and going without, Now theres a story about a guy who used his ebt cash to post bond, in Michigan gas stations are allowing ebt and many of our recipients receive food and cash, which means we are paying for gas, cigarettes, lottery, the restaurants are pushing for ebt, so they can cash in as well, on the backs of taxpayers.

And yes, it's everyone business to know what welfare people are buying and they know it, the store owners, the cashiers, the guy standing in line has a right to know what ebt is being used for, thats how fraud is detected and anyone has the right to turn them in.

If you want you shopping habits to remain private..GET A JOB

If you want steak, shrimp, lobster...Get a job

If you want a gas guzzling Escalade...GET A JOB

They are supposed to be using this money and benefits to take care of their children, not sell the food so they can go to bingo, the casino, get their hair or finger nails done, buy jewelry, new purses or ipods.

These people fail to realize they are not capable of taking care of themselves or their kids, the rest of us are doing that, so what they do with our money most certainly is our business.

These fraudsters are complicit in the theft of American taxpayers.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Apr 15, 2012

Granted the story we're talking about is example of someone getting caught committing welfare fraud where criminal charges were filed, but there are thousands of other examples seen everyday that probably are lesser examples of why the system is being abused. If and when the system is eradicated because of widespread abuse, it won't be the fault of those us who have noticed it.

I am getting ready for work right now, I'll spend the whole day watching the fraud unfold, I'll be working my ass off so some lazy oaf can buy all the chips, cookies and treats they can haul away in their expensive SUVS.

Worse yet, not one person on welfare will ask for an application, instead they will want to know where the Hot Pockets are.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I am getting ready for work right now, I'll spend the whole day watching the fraud unfold, I'll be working my ass off so some lazy oaf can buy all the chips, cookies and treats they can haul away in their expensive SUVS.

Worse yet, not one person on welfare will ask for an application, instead they will want to know where the Hot Pockets are.

As you can see, sully, and well know, you might as well talk to a wall as someone who has grown up on welfare and food stamps.

They come to think of it as a right.

"I'm hongry - who's gonna feed me? Somebody feed me!"

It's now a generational thing where whole families have lived their whole lives scamming the system and being supported by working people and they get an attitude if we dare question it or complain about it.

missy23pap

Am I the only one that has every had this experience,  I'm at the store handing my coupons to a cashier and I get an attitude from the person behind me with two carts over flowing and paying with EBT?  One chick had the nerve to mumble to her daughter "dam I could just paid her s&i*t so she can go"  Yeah, that didn't go over to wellEmbarassed with me.  At one of the stores I shop at on any given day you would normally find 2/3 young men standing at the enterence offering EBT grocery for cash. Someone ,who will remain nameless, called the police and DCF and got rid of that nonsense.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by missy23pap on Apr 15, 2012

Am I the only one that has every had this experience,  I'm at the store handing my coupons to a cashier and I get an attitude from the person behind me with two carts over flowing and paying with EBT?  One chick had the nerve to mumble to her daughter "dam I could just paid her s&i*t so she can go"  Yeah, that didn't go over to wellEmbarassed with me.  At one of the stores I shop at on any given day you would normally find 2/3 young men standing at the enterence offering EBT grocery for cash. Someone ,who will remain nameless, called the police and DCF and got rid of that nonsense.

This country needs more honest people like you, missy.

We all see the scammers but most people just look the other way because the scammers are arrogant and always have big attitudes and big mouths and you can't blame people for not wanting to deal with them.

It's good there are people around like you and that "nameless" person Wink  who refuse to put up with it.

Thank you for doing the right thing. Thumbs Up

" At one of the stores I shop at on any given day you would normally find 2/3 young men standing at the enterence offering EBT grocery for cash" WTF!!!! OMG not only would I have called the police I would have called the local news station to exspose the system.... WOW!!! I have read it all!!!!

Good for you missy.....Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatarRJOh

If you ever win a lottery jackpot you won't have to go shopping to see scammers, they'll be knocking at your  door and calling you on the phone.  In fact if you stick your e-mail address in your profile, you'll start getting e-mail from them with all kinds of sob stories.  They are every where.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 15, 2012

If you ever win a lottery jackpot you won't have to go shopping to see scammers, they'll be knocking at your  door and calling you on the phone.  In fact if you stick your e-mail address in your profile, you'll start getting e-mail from them with all kinds of sob stories.  They are every where.

Can never have enough Scammers, that's my motto!   Stretch

tntea's avatartntea

Little,

People have no clue until they walk in the shoe.

Those fees we pay are to protect us from the people we are serving.

Many of times I have heard parents tell "teachers" "We tax payers pay your salary." Fact is the school teachers are paying their own salaries too..  Since we pay taxes too!

tntea's avatartntea

Problem here is that the benefits "are taxpayers' money"..

If a person doesn't work, how is it "their" money?

If they need to be fed... buy healthy foods, so the taxpayers do not have to foot the medical bills that will occur from eating poorly.  If you receive EBT benefits, you should be buying healthy foods..(You can now afford that.)

Soft drinks, chips, candies, etc.   shouldn't be bought with food stamps. If they put a stop to that, more people will get off their ass and get a job.

tntea's avatartntea

What is Red Bull?

A great little drink..

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 15, 2012

No, it's not unnecessary because people love soda! Wow, people love soda, candy, pizza, seafood, coffee and cake. If if you love it you're going to eat it. Yes, I do. Not everyone just buys soda. They also buy water and juice. No one should not buy soda because you don't think they should. When people get the card they can buy whatever they like to eat and drink.

Simba774

Because they don't buy what you want to them buy they're committing fraud? Okay.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by tntea on Apr 15, 2012

If they need to be fed... buy healthy foods, so the taxpayers do not have to foot the medical bills that will occur from eating poorly.  If you receive EBT benefits, you should be buying healthy foods..(You can now afford that.)

Soft drinks, chips, candies, etc.   shouldn't be bought with food stamps. If they put a stop to that, more people will get off their ass and get a job.

You buy whatever it is you like to eat and drink.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Apr 15, 2012

" At one of the stores I shop at on any given day you would normally find 2/3 young men standing at the enterence offering EBT grocery for cash" WTF!!!! OMG not only would I have called the police I would have called the local news station to exspose the system.... WOW!!! I have read it all!!!!

Good for you missy.....Thumbs Up

I know people who sale stamps. I have no problem with it.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by tntea on Apr 15, 2012

Actually the benefits are called entitlements by the recipients and if we keep on "giving", there is no reason for them to look for a job.

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

why do you play a game with odds equal to being struck by lightning and eastern by a bear in the same hour? because you enjoy it right. I'm pretty sure that if you looked you would notice the looks you get from customers behind you for playing the lottery. the majority of America agrees that the lottery is a fools game.why do these people waist their money on a game with terrible odds they say.i,'m sure if someone asked you to stop waisting your money on the lottery you would tell them to mind their business right,well what people on public assistance buy w/ their money is their business.agree? now I'm not saying your a hypocrite.but your comments suggest different.just some food for thought.

why do you play a game with odds equal to being struck by lightning and eaten by a bear in the same hour? because you enjoy it right. I'm pretty sure that if you looked you would notice the looks you get from customers behind you for playing the lottery. the majority of America agrees that the lottery is a fools game.why do these people waist their money on a game with terrible odds they say.i,'m sure if someone asked you to stop waisting your money on the lottery you would tell them to mind their business right,well what people on public assistance buy w/ their money is their business.agree? now I'm not saying your a hypocrite.but your comments suggest different.just some food for thought.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on Apr 15, 2012

why do you play a game with odds equal to being struck by lightning and eaten by a bear in the same hour? because you enjoy it right. I'm pretty sure that if you looked you would notice the looks you get from customers behind you for playing the lottery. the majority of America agrees that the lottery is a fools game.why do these people waist their money on a game with terrible odds they say.i,'m sure if someone asked you to stop waisting your money on the lottery you would tell them to mind their business right,well what people on public assistance buy w/ their money is their business.agree? now I'm not saying your a hypocrite.but your comments suggest different.just some food for thought.

Another stupid liberal that probably lives from welfare check to welfare check.The only question is who is drawing the check,him or his girlfriend.

The ppl. in line behind me wish i would get out of the way so they could do the same foolish thing faster,

but i'm doing the "fool thing" w/ money i worked for, and thats what makes it a fool thing,

but, ppl. on public assistance buy? tickets  w/ "THEIR MONEY" (came from taxpayers)

is he gonna split the win w/ me, don't think so.

OK, so who is the real fool ?

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 15, 2012

Another stupid liberal that probably lives from welfare check to welfare check.The only question is who is drawing the check,him or his girlfriend.

you're partly correct. yes I am a democrat.but I am also a manager for my towns  company's cable company.I also teach at my karate do Jo at night so no I am not on state assitance.unlike yourself who's proberly that guy you see at your local package store on pay day buying scratch offs and lottery tickets until closing,but not before buying 3 pints of wild Irish rose and a pack of non filtered camels for the night.also the company I work for is the largest cable company in the industry.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

you're partly correct. yes I am a democrat.but I am also a manager for my towns  company's cable company.I also teach at my karate do Jo at night so no I am not on state assitance.unlike yourself who's proberly that guy you see at your local package store on pay day buying scratch offs and lottery tickets until closing,but not before buying 3 pints of wild Irish rose and a pack of non filtered camels for the night.also the company I work for is the largest cable company in the industry.

No,before I became disabled I worked for a living and I haven't had drink of anything except Mt.Dew (I paid for it myself with MY MONEY) in over 30 years.I don't buy scratch off tickets,but if I did it would be with money that I EARNED from working,not at the expense of taxpayers.As a working person YOU should be as outraged as most of the others on this thread,but being a bleeding heart liberal you want to take the side of the deadbeats.Well,you did your good deed for the day,now go lay down!And no one cares about your veiled threat of being a karate teacher.

sully16's avatarsully16

why do you play a game with odds equal to being struck by lightning and eastern by a bear in the same hour? because you enjoy it right. I'm pretty sure that if you looked you would notice the looks you get from customers behind you for playing the lottery. the majority of America agrees that the lottery is a fools game.why do these people waist their money on a game with terrible odds they say.i,'m sure if someone asked you to stop waisting your money on the lottery you would tell them to mind their business right,well what people on public assistance buy w/ their money is their business.agree? now I'm not saying your a hypocrite.but your comments suggest different.just some food for thought.

I earn my money, Key word ...EARN, I get up and go to work everyday, I am not sitting around waiting for someone else's money to show up so I can go shopping.

Keyword, PUBLIC ASSISTANCE, These people did not earn my money, I did.

If they want to go to work everyday, then they can piss away their money on whatever they want, I am sick of being ( forced to support someone else. )

I believe in charity, and I give generously, but I have a problem with the amount of tax I pay, Charity is my choice.

I am tired of someone else enjoying the fruits of my labor.

It is not their money, it's tax payer money, and no, they can NOT spend this money on whatever they want and they know it, hence the fraud.

NO WELFARE=NO WELFARE FRAUD.

There are a lot of us who are sick of taking care of people who have no desire to take care of themselves.

I am sick of being FORCED to pay for other peoples poor choices.

It's Re-distribution of wealth, it's wrong and it's going to stop.

I earn my money, Key word ...EARN, I get up and go to work everyday, I am not sitting around waiting for someone else's money to show up so I can go shopping.

If they want to go to work everyday, then they can piss away their money on whatever they want, I am sick of being ( forced to support someone else. )

I believe in charity, and I give generously, but I have a problem with the amount of tax I pay, Charity is my choice.

It is not their money, it's tax payer money, and no, they can NOT spend this money on whatever they want and they know it, hence the fraud.

There are a lot of us who are sick of taking care of people who have no desire to take care of themselves.

sully16,

yes, i like the pointing out of  the the key words,

maybe those words should be in the form of a question on public assistance apps.

the correct answers would be the definitations.

incorrect answer, denied.

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 15, 2012

No,before I became disabled I worked for a living and I haven't had drink of anything except Mt.Dew (I paid for it myself with MY MONEY) in over 30 years.I don't buy scratch off tickets,but if I did it would be with money that I EARNED from working,not at the expense of taxpayers.As a working person YOU should be as outraged as most of the others on this thread,but being a bleeding heart liberal you want to take the side of the deadbeats.Well,you did your good deed for the day,now go lay down!And no one cares about your veiled threat of being a karate teacher.

thanks for proving my point cletus. you get disability each month right. now do you use this funds to support you're gambling habit or you're unhealthy choice of beverage.you do know that mountain dew contains vegetable oil right. these benefits come from my tax paying dollars but I don't complain because once you get that check in the mail each month I can't control what you spend it on.I did my part as a citizen to help out those that can't help themselves,so that yes is my good deed.also my mention of being a instructor was in no way a threat.I was just pointing out what I do.now as far as your comment about me being bleeding lib,I won't even entertain it.we all know the reason certain folks don't like the current president.

Simba774

When I win I'm coming to your town with a borrowed Link card and I'm going buy stuff I don't even eat just to piss you off. You can buy fruits, water, chips and soda. That's legal.  My mother worked at least 6 grocery stores back in the day and she never gave a <snip> about what people bought with freakin' food stamps. I actually mentioned this topic to her and she laughed.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

dr65's avatardr65

I think we need to be very specific about just which welfare recipients cause the greatest anger, resentment and outrage.

I think it's very easy to lump them all into the category of: unworthy of receiving benefits.

I do not have a problem knowing that a minor percentage of collective tax dollars are going to help families, single mothers, single fathers, children, elderly and

so on...the percentage of each person's contribution of tax dollars going to help these people, whether they deserve it or not, is even more miniscule..in fact, it's

almost microscopic.

I find nothing wrong with my 1/10 or so of a cent being used the legitimate purpose of helping those in need. The organization, the people misusing the system,

the government, the people in charge turning a blind eye or just plain being lazy are the ones to blame for the abuse of the food stamp privilege.

It's not a right to collect when you think you've worked long and hard enough that now, someone owes you something and come hell or highwater 'you're going

to get yours'.

I have a problem with Red Bull purchases in the quantity you spoke of sully and also have a problem with the resale of cards for cash. I have a problem with

the subject of the story continuing to collect benefits that could be used to benefit someone that is honestly in need.

Chips and soda..that doesn't bother me too much. Candy, cakes and other junk food does not either. The reason is that if someone wants to splurge and feel

like they belong sometimes to the human race, then alright by me. This is very, very different from the guy buying Red Bull.

The criminals are the ones reselling their benefit cards so they can take the cash and buy drugs or whatever else their hearts desire. The criminals are the ones

who have a great paying job and think that someone owes them something and if they qualify by withholding some information, then why not take it?..everyone

else is doing it. The criminals are the ones who come and spend their benefit on items to resell so they come out with 3 or 4 times their benefit amount in cash.

The criminals are the ones, like in the story, that neglect to report changes in income or other sources of cash intake and continue milking the system they

should not even qualify for after the circumstantial changes.

A huge finger needs to be pointed at the system that allows such misuse. Due to laziness, shortages of manpower, the hum-drum of the daily grind and the

acceptance of a broken system, there will always be people slipping through the cracks. It takes a long time to catch up with these people who are cheating

the system and why is that? The problem is too overwhelming? Someone's not doing their job? Someone wants to appear to be doing their job? Or someone

is scratching someone else's back....or watching it?

Try not to coral all recipients into one category. There are truly people in need and who are thankful to have the extra help each month. There are people with

jobs that still qualify for food stamps. There are families who would rather not take 'hand outs' yet need them to 'make it'. There are people following the rules

and the ones that are not are painting a horrible picture for them. There is already a stigma attached to benefits...whether it's generated by people who wish

they had more or could get something for nothing or are just irritated that they're not eligible, I don't know. The feeling of I got mine, now you get yours

should be replaced with I got mine, I'll help you get yours if you really need it.

I just know that there is a tax for just about everything. Everywhere you turn, money is going into someone else's pocket. I don't mind a crackdown at all.

I would just like to see a crackdown take place instead of a total shutdown. I don't mind supporting any good cause.

If the day comes where I'm feeling outraged at the system due to blantant and rampant misuse...and not the occassional story about one welfare criminal....

I'll hop on the bandwagon and push for justice. Right now with the minimal contribution little old me is making towards giving the rats of the group opportunity

to live 'better' than me, I can't be too angry about it. It's just another cut in a sea of so many cuts being given away to support one thing or another. Until the

agency itself takes responsibility for qualifying criminals and doesn't get off their dead azz and do some work and investigating nothing will change. They are

as much to blame as the ones out there taking a free ride and laughing all the way, courtesy of Mr & Mrs Taxpayer..aka: you, me and almost everyone else.

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 15, 2012

The ppl. in line behind me wish i would get out of the way so they could do the same foolish thing faster,

but i'm doing the "fool thing" w/ money i worked for, and thats what makes it a fool thing,

but, ppl. on public assistance buy? tickets  w/ "THEIR MONEY" (came from taxpayers)

is he gonna split the win w/ me, don't think so.

OK, so who is the real fool ?

I agree 100%

billbo45

my wife works at a store the she gets so discouraged that people load up their carts with crap and we have to put things back:( she works so hard and they (food stamp people) have the best phones the tattoos and guess sunglasses and drive a nicer  car. you can tell the ones who are scamming.

whats worse are the muslims that have corner stores come in and buy the stuff on food stamps and then sell it at thier stores and you know the money is going to fund bad things.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by billbo45 on Apr 16, 2012

my wife works at a store the she gets so discouraged that people load up their carts with crap and we have to put things back:( she works so hard and they (food stamp people) have the best phones the tattoos and guess sunglasses and drive a nicer  car. you can tell the ones who are scamming.

whats worse are the muslims that have corner stores come in and buy the stuff on food stamps and then sell it at thier stores and you know the money is going to fund bad things.

Are you implying that food stamps are aiding the Muslims on planning another 9-11?

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Apr 16, 2012

I think we need to be very specific about just which welfare recipients cause the greatest anger, resentment and outrage.

I think it's very easy to lump them all into the category of: unworthy of receiving benefits.

I do not have a problem knowing that a minor percentage of collective tax dollars are going to help families, single mothers, single fathers, children, elderly and

so on...the percentage of each person's contribution of tax dollars going to help these people, whether they deserve it or not, is even more miniscule..in fact, it's

almost microscopic.

I find nothing wrong with my 1/10 or so of a cent being used the legitimate purpose of helping those in need. The organization, the people misusing the system,

the government, the people in charge turning a blind eye or just plain being lazy are the ones to blame for the abuse of the food stamp privilege.

It's not a right to collect when you think you've worked long and hard enough that now, someone owes you something and come hell or highwater 'you're going

to get yours'.

I have a problem with Red Bull purchases in the quantity you spoke of sully and also have a problem with the resale of cards for cash. I have a problem with

the subject of the story continuing to collect benefits that could be used to benefit someone that is honestly in need.

Chips and soda..that doesn't bother me too much. Candy, cakes and other junk food does not either. The reason is that if someone wants to splurge and feel

like they belong sometimes to the human race, then alright by me. This is very, very different from the guy buying Red Bull.

The criminals are the ones reselling their benefit cards so they can take the cash and buy drugs or whatever else their hearts desire. The criminals are the ones

who have a great paying job and think that someone owes them something and if they qualify by withholding some information, then why not take it?..everyone

else is doing it. The criminals are the ones who come and spend their benefit on items to resell so they come out with 3 or 4 times their benefit amount in cash.

The criminals are the ones, like in the story, that neglect to report changes in income or other sources of cash intake and continue milking the system they

A huge finger needs to be pointed at the system that allows such misuse. Due to laziness, shortages of manpower, the hum-drum of the daily grind and the

acceptance of a broken system, there will always be people slipping through the cracks. It takes a long time to catch up with these people who are cheating

the system and why is that? The problem is too overwhelming? Someone's not doing their job? Someone wants to appear to be doing their job? Or someone

Try not to coral all recipients into one category. There are truly people in need and who are thankful to have the extra help each month. There are people with

jobs that still qualify for food stamps. There are families who would rather not take 'hand outs' yet need them to 'make it'. There are people following the rules

and the ones that are not are painting a horrible picture for them. There is already a stigma attached to benefits...whether it's generated by people who wish

they had more or could get something for nothing or are just irritated that they're not eligible, I don't know. The feeling of I got mine, now you get yours

should be replaced with I got mine, I'll help you get yours if you really need it.

I just know that there is a tax for just about everything. Everywhere you turn, money is going into someone else's pocket. I don't mind a crackdown at all.

I would just like to see a crackdown take place instead of a total shutdown. I don't mind supporting any good cause.

If the day comes where I'm feeling outraged at the system due to blantant and rampant misuse...and not the occassional story about one welfare criminal....

I'll hop on the bandwagon and push for justice. Right now with the minimal contribution little old me is making towards giving the rats of the group opportunity

to live 'better' than me, I can't be too angry about it. It's just another cut in a sea of so many cuts being given away to support one thing or another. Until the

agency itself takes responsibility for qualifying criminals and doesn't get off their dead azz and do some work and investigating nothing will change. They are

as much to blame as the ones out there taking a free ride and laughing all the way, courtesy of Mr & Mrs Taxpayer..aka: you, me and almost everyone else.

Good points Dr, And yes our biggest contributor of the fraud started at the Department of Human services, so far 17 employees have been dismissed and 3 have been convicted for fraud, Under our former govenor she got those federal dollars to roll in and the free for all started.

We have a big giant mess here, and theres not enough people to deal with the fraud, and it is the fraud I speak of.

We have food banks, focus hope and churches will give food vouchers.

These places are depleted every month, sadly , people receiving benefits also ransack these places, thats why they can buy so much junk with the ebt.

I have changed the way I donate, Childrens Hopital and St Jude are now my priority.

My sons Boy scout troop collects food for the needy, and twice a year he helps out making food for the homeless with our Church, I want him to have compassion, a sense of being grateful for the things he has, most important to never turn his back on his fellow man.

At 12 he now understands theres a difference between the people who have been hit hard and the takers, who hurt everyone.

There is no easy solution, I can't bear the thought of a child going hungry, or going without the simple everyday things. In the same breath I don't feel like I should support someone who wants me to buy the things they need so they can have the things they want.

I will not speak on this subject ever again, I think there will be a reckoning, and Karma will catch up in some way to the people who have wantonly and greedily taken a piece of the pie they didn't deserve.

Quote: Originally posted by billbo45 on Apr 16, 2012

wow! are f*********g retarded?maybe you guys should take some college classes and get a real job.like at a company that pays more than $7.50 p/hour.but first you may need to get your high school diploma.ged's don't count.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on Apr 16, 2012

wow! are f*********g retarded?maybe you guys should take some college classes and get a real job.like at a company that pays more than $7.50 p/hour.but first you may need to get your high school diploma.ged's don't count.

Nice language....and from a ," yes I am a democrat.but I am also a manager for my towns  company's cable company"  "also the company I work for is the largest cable company in the industry". Very mature Mr ky. I sure hope that nobody ever copies and pastes these statements and then makes some of inquiry/report to the,"largest cable company in the industry"....Not that they would know who the largest cable country in the industry is up in New England or if one of their managers who,"I also teach at my karate do Jo at night so no I am not on state assitance."

Because he/ she has a different point of view than you do. Then you utilize that kind of "manager" or "teach" language to berate people on line ???
  Let me give you a friendly courtesy piece of advice from a veteran law enforcement officers perspective........if you think you wont be found out ?, You might want to rethink that issue....Large companies are very strict on their employees behavior, on and off the clock, especially when they claim to be a "manager" of that company.

An alleged manager from the largest cable company in the industry and an alleged instructor  hunh ??.....Interesting 

I really like what you said.  I could tell you some REAL stories.

"There are a lot of us who are sick of taking care of people who have no desire to take care of themselves."

That sentence sums up a situation that I am currently facing. I am definitely getting tired.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 16, 2012

Good points Dr, And yes our biggest contributor of the fraud started at the Department of Human services, so far 17 employees have been dismissed and 3 have been convicted for fraud, Under our former govenor she got those federal dollars to roll in and the free for all started.

We have a big giant mess here, and theres not enough people to deal with the fraud, and it is the fraud I speak of.

We have food banks, focus hope and churches will give food vouchers.

These places are depleted every month, sadly , people receiving benefits also ransack these places, thats why they can buy so much junk with the ebt.

I have changed the way I donate, Childrens Hopital and St Jude are now my priority.

My sons Boy scout troop collects food for the needy, and twice a year he helps out making food for the homeless with our Church, I want him to have compassion, a sense of being grateful for the things he has, most important to never turn his back on his fellow man.

At 12 he now understands theres a difference between the people who have been hit hard and the takers, who hurt everyone.

There is no easy solution, I can't bear the thought of a child going hungry, or going without the simple everyday things. In the same breath I don't feel like I should support someone who wants me to buy the things they need so they can have the things they want.

I will not speak on this subject ever again, I think there will be a reckoning, and Karma will catch up in some way to the people who have wantonly and greedily taken a piece of the pie they didn't deserve.

sully, I agree with you, it is a very big mess.

I'm all for cracking down on the program blood-suckers that bleed the system dry with their wants vs. the people who need. Innocent, truly needy people

suffer in more ways than obvious due to the filth that are sapping the system. They suffer with needless investigations just so some higher up can say

they're doing their job, they suffer cuts or expulsion due to tougher laws that were put into place so someone could receive kudo's for a working system.

It doesn't work. It'll take a long, long time to make it work...but someone has to do something about it. While they're throwing offenders off the system

they can also carve the ranks of contributors to the problem. They've got the solution turned upside down. It doesn't lie with coming down on innocent

recipients. They need to start at the top and work their way down.

One thing I don't agree with sully is that you said you won't say anything about it ever again. Keep being a voice, keep your eyes open and your mouth

too Big Smile The day we give up is the day they win and we all lose. Report what you see, you're in a prime position to witness fraud and gross misuse of

benefits that weren't meant to be used for living it up. It's hard and frustrating dealing with agencies where people are just another number and

pushed through without strict guidelines being enforced. These people are robots and pawns for people in much higher places patting themselves on

the back for a job well done. It's a big joke and if we don't push and don't say anything, the joke is on all of us.

Thank you sully for what you do and how you feel, it's refreshing, empowering and motivating. We need more people like you in the world.

dr65's avatardr65

Bad day today kyokushin?

sorry, GED's DO count....

CARBOB

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Apr 16, 2012

almost microscopic.

to get yours'.

"The organization, the people misusing the system, the government, the people in charge turning a blind eye or just plain being lazy are the ones to blame for the abuse of the food stamp privilege."

That statement is all anyone needs to know, the root of the problem. My stepson is 50 years old and has never supported himself. He receives a disability check, for being an alcoholic food stamps and has 2 cell phones paid for by the tax payers. The system is broke, can it be fixed??

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 16, 2012

Nice language....and from a ," yes I am a democrat.but I am also a manager for my towns  company's cable company"  "also the company I work for is the largest cable company in the industry". Very mature Mr ky. I sure hope that nobody ever copies and pastes these statements and then makes some of inquiry/report to the,"largest cable company in the industry"....Not that they would know who the largest cable country in the industry is up in New England or if one of their managers who,"I also teach at my karate do Jo at night so no I am not on state assitance."

Because he/ she has a different point of view than you do. Then you utilize that kind of "manager" or "teach" language to berate people on line ???
  Let me give you a friendly courtesy piece of advice from a veteran law enforcement officers perspective........if you think you wont be found out ?, You might want to rethink that issue....Large companies are very strict on their employees behavior, on and off the clock, especially when they claim to be a "manager" of that company.

An alleged manager from the largest cable company in the industry and an alleged instructor  hunh ??.....Interesting 

so it is OK for him make racist remark that all Muslims are terrorists and try to buy weapons.I would agree that both of our comments were hurt full.but I doubt that you would agree.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by CARBOB on Apr 16, 2012

"The organization, the people misusing the system, the government, the people in charge turning a blind eye or just plain being lazy are the ones to blame for the abuse of the food stamp privilege."

That statement is all anyone needs to know, the root of the problem. My stepson is 50 years old and has never supported himself. He receives a disability check, for being an alcoholic food stamps and has 2 cell phones paid for by the tax payers. The system is broke, can it be fixed??

Many people confuse Supplement Security Income with regular Social Security disability. SSI was started by the Nixon administration to supplement the state's welfare burden. It's meant for people over age 65, blind, or disabled adults and children with limited income resources. SSI is not paid for by Social Security taxes. SSI is paid for by U.S. Treasury general funds, not the Social Security trust funds.

SSI has become very lucrative for the legal profession and many lawyers have commercials on TV. People will gladly wait a year or two, pay a lawyer 33% of the back benefits and collect their monthly checks. The medical profession has their hands in the cookie jar too because the beneficiaries are given Medicaid cards. And we all know it's the doctors who decide the disability.

"The system is broke, can it be fixed??"

Should we complain to the lawyer in the White House or the lawyers and doctors in the Senate and House of Representatives?

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Howz about a nice positive Powerball Jackpot ........ $61,050,000 wire transfer here in Pennsylvania !

Eek

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

so it is OK for him make racist remark that all Muslims are terrorists and try to buy weapons.I would agree that both of our comments were hurt full.but I doubt that you would agree.

He made a remark that "ALL Muslims are terrorists and try to buy weapons"....lets go take a look shall we >>>>>>>>>>>>> Let me go find the quote about Muslims....here it is                                         Billbo45 stated, "my wife works at a store the she gets so discouraged that people load up their carts with crap and we have to put things back:( she works so hard and they (food stamp people) have the best phones the tattoos and guess sunglasses and drive a nicer  car. you can tell the ones who are scamming.

whats worse are the muslims that have corner stores come in and buy the stuff on food stamps and then sell it at thier stores and you know the money is going to fund bad things."
Can you show me in that quote where he said, " a racist remark that all Muslims are terrorists and try to buy weapons"....?????
Not only is that quote NOT  there, you ASSUMED thats what he means. He could have meant terrorism, he could have meant family honor killings,drugs, illegal immigration, jihad training camps, beheading of innocent women and children, or  numerous other illegal/ inhumae acts that have been reported thoughout the world.
      Also, for your information a "Muslim" is not a race...it is a religion....That religion is utilized buy all races throughout the world....
He did NOT say..."All Muslims"...see the above quote. You have changed the context of the statement. He was refering to "the Muslims that have corner stores"....not "ALL MUSLIMS" that are  alive..
I won't assume anything until doubt is removed.... I base my opinions on personal knowledge and facts that are presented to me. I will tell you just like the people I issued a ticket to that complained about me going faster than they were when I finally stopped them....Just because I go jump off a cliff, you're going to come jump too because I am a police officer?.....
It was nice of you to realize the hurtfullness of your statement. 2 wrongs have never made a right. I have only commented on your statement because of you stating your job(s) position and unreasonable comments.
That being said......Career discussions are over on my end.....Hope you win a jackpot soon and heres hoping all the frauds or thieves are caught and prosecuted

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Heres the solution to welfare fraud.Make ALL welfare recipiants (sp?) work for their benefits,give the men a stick with a nail in one end of it and a garbage bag and send them around town picking up litter.Give men & women a reel type lawn mower and send them to a park to mow the grass.Give them a syckle or a scyth and put them to work cutting weeds in the cemetary.Give them a pushbroom and have them sweep the streets.Their are a lot of jobs that every city needs done and there is no money to do them.We are paying these fraudsters and layabouts to do nothing now so it won't cost us anymore money to put them to work.Then make them pay taxes on their benefits.Just an idea!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 16, 2012

Heres the solution to welfare fraud.Make ALL welfare recipiants (sp?) work for their benefits,give the men a stick with a nail in one end of it and a garbage bag and send them around town picking up litter.Give men & women a reel type lawn mower and send them to a park to mow the grass.Give them a syckle or a scyth and put them to work cutting weeds in the cemetary.Give them a pushbroom and have them sweep the streets.Their are a lot of jobs that every city needs done and there is no money to do them.We are paying these fraudsters and layabouts to do nothing now so it won't cost us anymore money to put them to work.Then make them pay taxes on their benefits.Just an idea!

That would get rid of the bums that line up for "Obama Bucks!"

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 16, 2012

That would get rid of the bums that line up for "Obama Bucks!"

That's right, kids, welfare didn't exist before 2009.  Another history lesson from dpoly1.  Crazy Dupe Alert

VAWest

I just got accused of being a spammer for trying to post a link in this thread.

So, what do I have to do to no longer be considered a "new" member?

Quote: Originally posted by VAWest on Apr 16, 2012

I just got accused of being a spammer for trying to post a link in this thread.

So, what do I have to do to no longer be considered a "new" member?

i think you have to make more posts, but thats only part of it, there is a formula used for promoting members,

but it is a secret.

and its a good idea, but first time i heard of it was back in the 70s,

i guess the political will to implement it does not exist.

Simba774

It's funny how so many care more about the little guys are doing more than what the big guys(white collar) are doing. I bet if they seen their Boss buying food stamps they would not say anything. lol

If their family members bought some they would not say anything. I would be looking at Politicians spending taxpayer money on lavish foolish things than a poor kid being able to have cake. But that's just me.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 16, 2012

and its a good idea, but first time i heard of it was back in the 70s,

i guess the political will to implement it does not exist.

Yeah,I heard it a long time ago,too.I think there are to many career politicians worried about not getting the deadbeat vote.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Apr 16, 2012

It's funny how so many care more about the little guys are doing more than what the big guys(white collar) are doing. I bet if they seen their Boss buying food stamps they would not say anything. lol

If their family members bought some they would not say anything. I would be looking at Politicians spending taxpayer money on lavish foolish things than a poor kid being able to have cake. But that's just me.

You don't "buy" foodstamps.They are given to the deadbeats,at taxpayers expense.They say that their are more people getting foodstamps under Obama than anytime in history.Go figure.

And we do care about the big fish,but this thread is about welfare cheats.

Yeah,I heard it a long time ago,too.I think there are to many career politicians worried about not getting the deadbeat vote.

fer sure,fer,sure, even if a pol. campaigns on it and gets elected, as soon as he starts hanging out w/the more expierenced ones thats it,

they tell him/her, if you want keep office you must do it the way we always do it,

thats why we need term limits.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 16, 2012

fer sure,fer,sure, even if a pol. campaigns on it and gets elected, as soon as he starts hanging out w/the more expierenced ones thats it,

they tell him/her, if you want keep office you must do it the way we always do it,

thats why we need term limits.

I Agree! Iowas 2 senators have both been in office since the 70's.One is an old republican,named Chuck Grassley.Tom Harkin is the democrat.He has his nose so far up Obamas a$$ that if Obama would make a sudden stop,Harkin would break his nose.They're both so out of touch with their constituants that it's pathetic.Neither one can think for themselves,they just vote the party line and cancel each others votes out.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

I was wondering the same thing tryintohit....if I am unfortunate enough to have to go on food stamps, am I supposed to be judged by what items I buy with it.  Are people saying that I am ungrateful and trying to defraud the government because I prefer to drink Pepsi or sprite or red bull instead of carrot juice?   

So if the government provides me food stamps, the only way I should spend it is on what "others" consider appropriate?  What would that be?  Fruits, vegetables and meat?  Oh wait...someone may get pissed about me eating meat....so that leaves veggies....but what if I'm allergic to a bunch of crap....then what?  So should the government dictate what I eat because they provide me food stamps?  Should they spend government funds on monitoring the food I buy, monitoring what I am allowed to eat via my doctor?  When does it end?

Are there not more important things to worry about besides what people buying foods stamps are buying OR what they are doing with them? My thing is this: stop blaming the people who get them...they didn't give them to themselves. The government took their application, believed what they said and then granted them the food stamps. If the government agencies are too stupid to double check, verify, etc. then they should take the blame. 

Besides, are THAT many poor people winning the lottery?  Is that the secret to hitting it big?  How many stories can we count of lottery winners ripping off the government opposed to the total number of lottery winners that don't?  It's just classic case of a few bad apples spoiling the entire bunch. 

Don't go judging everyone that receives assistance by the few idiots that take advantage.  Yes, you have scammers in every area of society preying on everyone and every agency they can think of. Then you have people that are just having it rough. You never know what people have going on.  Maybe that guy buying red bull works 2 jobs and one is a 3rd shift gig and he needs red bull to stay awake. Maybe he was buying lottery tickets for his neighbor...the old folks in my neighborhood all send me to the store to buy their lottery tickets and cigarettes. I’m sure the cashier there thinks I’m addicted to pick 3 & pick 4, am a heavy smoker and love salted peanuts, but I’m not. I have never smoked a day in my life, I only play the Powerball and I am allergic to peanuts. I just happen to be the neighbor with a vehicle and patience. I once was a cashier and had many WRONG thoughts about customers until I started chatting them up and finding out more about them – the regulars that is. I’m just saying don’t judge a book by its cover.

Maybe some food stamp recipients are selling their food stamps because they need the money for rent or to keep the lights on because the Salvation Army or other agencies were out of funds to help with those things.  What do they do for food?  They go without eating, or eat at shelters, churches, etc.  For those of you that don't understand this logic of thinking...it's called survival.  Be thankful you never had to make tough choices such as these. 

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

thanks for proving my point cletus. you get disability each month right. now do you use this funds to support you're gambling habit or you're unhealthy choice of beverage.you do know that mountain dew contains vegetable oil right. these benefits come from my tax paying dollars but I don't complain because once you get that check in the mail each month I can't control what you spend it on.I did my part as a citizen to help out those that can't help themselves,so that yes is my good deed.also my mention of being a instructor was in no way a threat.I was just pointing out what I do.now as far as your comment about me being bleeding lib,I won't even entertain it.we all know the reason certain folks don't like the current president.

I have work for 39 years in a textile plant. I made a good living working there. My wife also works at the same place for 42 years. In fact that's where I met her and we got married. We raised two girls and now they are grown now,living on their own. My wife and I both are recieving our SOCIAL SECURTITY DISABILITY Benefits. We are both disable,Back problems. We both have worked all them years,each payday they would take out SS benefit each payday. You said that " these benefits come from my tax paying dollars". My benefits came from me working and my wife working all them years,paying into the system all our working days there at our job. That's where my SS Disability came from KYOKUSHIN187...   

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I heard on the news this morning that Georgia is gonna start drug testing welfare and food stamp recipients.

No public aid for you if you test positive for any kind of drugs including reefer.

24 other states are looking into doing the same thing right now.

It sounds only fair if the people who are working for that money have to be drug tested at work, then the people who get some of that money for nothing more than sitting on their fat azzes should have to be drug free too.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh...

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 17, 2012

I heard on the news this morning that Georgia is gonna start drug testing welfare and food stamp recipients.

No public aid for you if you test positive for any kind of drugs including reefer.

It sounds only fair if the people who are working for that money have to be drug tested at work, then the people who get some of that money for nothing more than sitting on their fat azzes should have to be drug free too.

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree! I have no use for druggies.I especially don't like supporting them with my tax dollars!

I Agree! testing should be required in ALL states....

Thank you for assuming that everyone on public assistance is a drug addict.  It really shows just how twisted your worldview is.  The next time you find yourself at the bottom of a bottle of Jack, do us all a favor and stay there.

That's not to say they shouldn't be drug-testing welfare recipients, because they should, but if you're assuming that the rolls will be wiped clean by this, you should think again... if it doesn't hurt too much, that is.

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Apr 17, 2012

I was wondering the same thing tryintohit....if I am unfortunate enough to have to go on food stamps, am I supposed to be judged by what items I buy with it.  Are people saying that I am ungrateful and trying to defraud the government because I prefer to drink Pepsi or sprite or red bull instead of carrot juice?   

So if the government provides me food stamps, the only way I should spend it is on what "others" consider appropriate?  What would that be?  Fruits, vegetables and meat?  Oh wait...someone may get pissed about me eating meat....so that leaves veggies....but what if I'm allergic to a bunch of crap....then what?  So should the government dictate what I eat because they provide me food stamps?  Should they spend government funds on monitoring the food I buy, monitoring what I am allowed to eat via my doctor?  When does it end?

Are there not more important things to worry about besides what people buying foods stamps are buying OR what they are doing with them? My thing is this: stop blaming the people who get them...they didn't give them to themselves. The government took their application, believed what they said and then granted them the food stamps. If the government agencies are too stupid to double check, verify, etc. then they should take the blame. 

Besides, are THAT many poor people winning the lottery?  Is that the secret to hitting it big?  How many stories can we count of lottery winners ripping off the government opposed to the total number of lottery winners that don't?  It's just classic case of a few bad apples spoiling the entire bunch. 

Don't go judging everyone that receives assistance by the few idiots that take advantage.  Yes, you have scammers in every area of society preying on everyone and every agency they can think of. Then you have people that are just having it rough. You never know what people have going on.  Maybe that guy buying red bull works 2 jobs and one is a 3rd shift gig and he needs red bull to stay awake. Maybe he was buying lottery tickets for his neighbor...the old folks in my neighborhood all send me to the store to buy their lottery tickets and cigarettes. I’m sure the cashier there thinks I’m addicted to pick 3 & pick 4, am a heavy smoker and love salted peanuts, but I’m not. I have never smoked a day in my life, I only play the Powerball and I am allergic to peanuts. I just happen to be the neighbor with a vehicle and patience. I once was a cashier and had many WRONG thoughts about customers until I started chatting them up and finding out more about them – the regulars that is. I’m just saying don’t judge a book by its cover.

Maybe some food stamp recipients are selling their food stamps because they need the money for rent or to keep the lights on because the Salvation Army or other agencies were out of funds to help with those things.  What do they do for food?  They go without eating, or eat at shelters, churches, etc.  For those of you that don't understand this logic of thinking...it's called survival.  Be thankful you never had to make tough choices such as these. 

That's the problem with a lot of people here... they think that if you're unfortunate enough to be poor, you should be reminded of it every minute of every day.   As if the poor weren't miserable enough already, they've also got people judging them for simply trying to exist.

There, but for the grace of God, go I...

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Apr 17, 2012

Thank you for assuming that everyone on public assistance is a drug addict.  It really shows just how twisted your worldview is.  The next time you find yourself at the bottom of a bottle of Jack, do us all a favor and stay there.

That's not to say they shouldn't be drug-testing welfare recipients, because they should, but if you're assuming that the rolls will be wiped clean by this, you should think again... if it doesn't hurt too much, that is.

Where did you read that he assumed ALL welfare recipiants were on drugs?He simply said that Georgia is thinking about requireing drug test for all people on welfare.I think you need to re-read his post.Its you that is doing the assuming.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Apr 17, 2012

That's the problem with a lot of people here... they think that if you're unfortunate enough to be poor, you should be reminded of it every minute of every day.   As if the poor weren't miserable enough already, they've also got people judging them for simply trying to exist.

There, but for the grace of God, go I...

I don't think that anybody here is against poor people.Hell,some of us are poor ourselves.We just don't like people defrauding the goverment,rich or poor!Get a grip on yourself.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 17, 2012

Where did you read that he assumed ALL welfare recipiants were on drugs?He simply said that Georgia is thinking about requireing drug test for all people on welfare.I think you need to re-read his post.Its you that is doing the assuming.

Thanks, Cletu$2.

It gets a little tedious having to explain everything to an idiot like mediacrap after a while.

Maybe I should just let him write my posts since he wants to spin them into something I didn't say anyway.

A typical, lying, limp-wristed, hand-wringing, pansyass lib.

I bet his husband's proud of him.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Jeesh Rgd..being kinda hard on the help again.....Bash

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story