Few major lottery jackpot winners get chance to be anonymous

Apr 23, 2012, 5:10 pm (47 comments)

Insider Buzz

Note to the Kansas and Maryland winners of last month's $656 million lottery jackpot: Count your anonymous blessings.

The states, where ticket holders claimed their $218.6 million portions in anonymity, are two of only six states that allow lottery winners' names to remain secret.

Officials in states other than Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio make public the names of lottery winners, with rare exceptions. Most see the identities of winners as a matter of public record subject to open-records law while others say revealing the names adds to the lottery's credibility and encourages others to play.

"People like to see the people who are actually winning," said Katy Smith, a spokeswoman from the Oklahoma Lottery. "If we don't let people know people are winning, then that raises questions."

Mike Lang, an Illinois Lottery spokesman, agrees and says winners in his state must come forward publicly "unless there is a compelling reason not to."

That's why, last week, everyone learned at a news conference that Merle and Patricia Butler, a retired couple from Red Bud, Ill., will take home $110.5 million in Mega Millions winnings after taxes. The two claimed the third and final portion of last month's jackpot in public, per Illinois Lottery rules, Lang said.

States that publicize winner's names do so for commercial reasons rather than public good, said Andrew Stoltmann, an attorney who has represented lottery winners.

"It's a horrible rule for states to force winners to come forward," he said. "The single-best commercial that the lottery has is the press conference that winners hold discussing how the lottery winnings have changed their lives. ... There's a real disconnect between the interest of the lottery officials and the winners. The best thing a winner can do is remain anonymous."

Lottery officials nationwide, however, maintain that games involve public funds and as such are subject to disclosure laws just like any other matter handled by governments. Exceptions are made in some cases. In Illinois and North Carolina, people with restraining orders and other extreme cases can remain anonymous. In Florida, law enforcement officers can be kept secret.

In states like Colorado, Connecticut and Vermont, winners can bypass having their names released by claiming winnings through a trust or a limited liability company. However, at least one state, Oregon, forbids such practices and requires that individuals come forward.

USA Today

Comments

Luckywun

Not being able claim the prize anonymously  is the reason I will not play big prize games in virginia. This rule sucks.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Glad Oklahoma allows you to claim via trust

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

I buy tickets in both Ohio and Michigan...anonymous both. Score!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Apr 23, 2012

I buy tickets in both Ohio and Michigan...anonymous both. Score!

I think in DC you can claim via a person or entity (trust).  So that is why I try to get tickets in DC vs Virginia most of the time. If I ever win, I want a red outfit like the 3 amigos who won the super MM.

DivinePurpose's avatarDivinePurpose

I wonder if there is an ex-boyfriend that I can get a restraining order against so I can claim anonymously here in NC. Big Grin Angel Lol. I'm only kidding.

winsumloosesum's avatarwinsumloosesum

That is the most ridiculous law to make public record your name when you hit the big jackpot.  Now your name and soon to be your address will be available to every hoodlum in your state.  You would need to change your name and go into hiding.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

Wait a minute, you mean Indiana's not an anonymous state?

<snip> it.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

winwi5

So i live in nc so you mean to tell me if i have a restraining order i can claim my prize anonymous because i always go to sc to play because you can claim your prize anonymous their.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

This from the 2nd most corrupt state in the union.

IL. lottery spokesman : winner must come forward "unless there is a compelling reason not to"

compelling reasons.

#1 winner is a politician.

#2 winner is a lottery employee.

#3 winner is connected to #1 or#2.

#4 winner has a restraining order.

This is worse than forced public disclosure, because it makes a rule that certain ppl. don't have to follow.

While the avg. sucker has to fend for himself.

Don't do as i do, do as i say.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Have to have my name and city of residence published down here......But at least I don't have to have a public news conference.....How does that comply with freedom of speech ??? Forced to talk about money you won ???  I might be tempted to grow a beard, wear sunglasses and look like a member of ZZ Top

zinniagirl's avatarzinniagirl

Quote: Originally posted by winwi5 on Apr 23, 2012

So i live in nc so you mean to tell me if i have a restraining order i can claim my prize anonymous because i always go to sc to play because you can claim your prize anonymous their.

You can not claim anonymously in SC.   YOu can at first, but if the press wants your name they are allowed to have due to freedom of information.   I too live in NC but I work in SC.   I do buy my tickets in SC because it is a shorter drive to Columbia than to Raleigh, should I win a "large" prize.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by zinniagirl on Apr 23, 2012

You can not claim anonymously in SC.   YOu can at first, but if the press wants your name they are allowed to have due to freedom of information.   I too live in NC but I work in SC.   I do buy my tickets in SC because it is a shorter drive to Columbia than to Raleigh, should I win a "large" prize.

Well Z, aint the freedom of choice a beautiful thing ??? Thumbs Up..........Here's Cheers hoping you have a winning jackpot ticket purchased from S.C soon.

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Apr 23, 2012

Have to have my name and city of residence published down here......But at least I don't have to have a public news conference.....How does that comply with freedom of speech ??? Forced to talk about money you won ???  I might be tempted to grow a beard, wear sunglasses and look like a member of ZZ Top

One of my fav. bands.

Well ok, can't wait to hear you sing "just got paid"

don't wear a Frank Beard disguise, hes' the one that doesn't have a beard. LOL

on another point,

"if Jesus just left chicago"

maybe he wanted to claim anonymously.

Piaceri

LOL. The ZZ Top dude with the long beard lives in the gated subdivision up the road from me. I haven't seen him, but I know people who have. 

Texas has limited publicity that allows you to claim via trusts, etc, and not be subject to a public interview. I think the minimum is town where the ticket was bought and the entity name claiming. I'd think a good lawyer could bury your identity far enough that the average detective would not be able to find you.

whitelion

Change your name before claiming the prize. This usually takes one month. Then another month to update  your drivers license and social security information. No public appearance. Don't sign the ticket until after the name change, keep in a lock box.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Any one knew the rules for winning in New York State....new york lottery websight doesn't tell you much.And if you call on the phone or email ,you just get the runaround..Todd,,,maybe you know since your right next door???????

Factorem's avatarFactorem

The MUSL Association publishes at the powerball website, the following FAQ and Answer:

“CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS WHEN I HIT THE JACKPOT?

All but five states (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks”

To the best of my knowledge, Michigan's anonymity laws are waived for the multi-state games of Mega Millions and Power Ball, for Jackpots and 2nd tier prize winners. Hence, the article maybe flawed on it's representations, about Michigan being a state where the multi state games' winning jackpots and 2nd tier prizes can be claimed anonymously.

The official powerbal website does not support the representations of the article about Michigan being a member of the club of 5 as a 6th member.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Yep michigan is kind of stupid in that no one will know your a winner unless you win powerball or mega. Then they have no problem  letting everyone know you won. I guess they have to get some publicity since there games don't really pay out much except for classic 47 but that rarely breaks 10 million and takes a really long time to get there lol

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by whitelion on Apr 24, 2012

Change your name before claiming the prize. This usually takes one month. Then another month to update  your drivers license and social security information. No public appearance. Don't sign the ticket until after the name change, keep in a lock box.

So basically you're saying it's a good idea to go through all those problems to change your name before validating the ticket so everybody will know your new name?

Awinanme2

That's sounds like a good idea...whitelion!!!!

Here's what the Georgia Lottery had to say about claiming that state's prizes anonymously 

"Thank you for contacting the Georgia Lottery Corporation (GLC).

While Georgia Lottery winners are not required to have a press conference or take a photograph, many feel that it enhances the winning experience.  The Georgia Lottery Corporation is required, by statute, to comply with Georgia’s Open Records Act. Pursuant to the Georgia Open Records Act, a prize winner’s name, city, county, and state of residence, and the amount of the prize won shall be regarded as matters of public record. Georgia Lottery prizes may also be claimed by a single legal entity, such as a corporation, partnership or trust."

My Question Is...Does that mean if I created a Blind Trust, that my personal name, city and other residence info would also be made public??? Does anyone know the answer?  Thanks!

whitelion

Changing your name  is quite simple. Change it to a  commonly known name  like Smith, Johnson. I have 50+ James Smith's in my town according to the white pages. Keep it quiet....but  we're in America and people these days love the attention and are also impatient. Take 2 months to protect your privacy and your families privacy. You have the rest of your life to spend the winnings.

Quote: Originally posted by Awinanme2 on Apr 24, 2012

Here's what the Georgia Lottery had to say about claiming that state's prizes anonymously 

While Georgia Lottery winners are not required to have a press conference or take a photograph, many feel that it enhances the winning experience.  The Georgia Lottery Corporation is required, by statute, to comply with Georgia’s Open Records Act. Pursuant to the Georgia Open Records Act, a prize winner’s name, city, county, and state of residence, and the amount of the prize won shall be regarded as matters of public record. Georgia Lottery prizes may also be claimed by a single legal entity, such as a corporation, partnership or trust."

My Question Is...Does that mean if I created a Blind Trust, that my personal name, city and other residence info would also be made public??? Does anyone know the answer?  Thanks!

That depends on what their rules are for claiming by trust.

whitelion

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You can lock the ticket away in a bible in a safe until after you change your name. If you told nobody (which you're suppose to do) then no one will know it is there. Here is the order:

Change your name to a common name - takes about a month to complete.

Change your address to a UPS lock box (not in your city). This gives you a regular address, not a PO Box.

Once your name change is processed update your driver's license to your new name and address.

Also update your Social security and tax info by filling out Form SS-5 at your local social security office.

Wait a month or so.

When you claim the prize, never do a press conference. They will release your new name, city and prize amount to the public.

If they require a press conference, have a lawyer speak on your behalf, but never step foot in front of those cameras.

Don't change your spending habits for awhile.

***If someone told you that you could be a multi-millionaire, but you had to wait 6 months before spending any of the money and follow a plan.. Would you do it??  I would in a second***

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You can lock the ticket away in a bible in a safe until after you change your name. If you told nobody (which you're suppose to do) then no one will know it is there. Here is the order:

Change your address to a UPS lock box (not in your city). This gives you a regular address, not a PO Box.

Once your name change is processed update your driver's license to your new name and address.

Also update your Social security and tax info by filling out Form SS-5 at your local social security office.

Wait a month or so.

When you claim the prize, never do a press conference. They will release your new name, city and prize amount to the public.

If they require a press conference, have a lawyer speak on your behalf, but never step foot in front of those cameras.

***If someone told you that you could be a multi-millionaire, but you had to wait 6 months before spending any of the money and follow a plan.. Would you do it??  I would in a second***

I think I'll change my name to I.M.Anonymous and see if the Iowa Lottery will pay me ~;)

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by winsumloosesum on Apr 23, 2012

That is the most ridiculous law to make public record your name when you hit the big jackpot.  Now your name and soon to be your address will be available to every hoodlum in your state.  You would need to change your name and go into hiding.

This is why we have: the 2nd Amendment, Concealed Carry Permits & The Castle Doctrine!

Awinanme2

Quote: Originally posted by zinniagirl on Apr 24, 2012

That depends on what their rules are for claiming by trust.

What I initially posted is WHAT they've indicated their rules to be. These are their rules for claiming a prize anonymously.

Awinanme2

Wait a month or so.

White Lion...you font like some one who may have had some experience with winning the lottery Wink.  I think your idea is 100% valid, I will definitely mention it to an attorney and just see what other unknown ramifications there may be! I have a friend who recently changed his name and the process was very straight forward!  Thanks again for the info!!!

whitelion

As long as the name change is not fraudulent in nature, then it's perfectly legal. I simply don't understand some people's decisions to go public.  At the end of the day, you should do everything in your power to protect yourself. Because lets face it, if you win and go public, everyone is out to try and get a piece of your winnings. I simply don't understand how people who didn't win feel like they have a right or are entitled to someone elses winnings. If a family member of mine won, I wouldn't expect a dime. If they send me some money that's wonderful, but at the end of the day they won, not me.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

As long as the name change is not fraudulent in nature, then it's perfectly legal. I simply don't understand some people's decisions to go public.  At the end of the day, you should do everything in your power to protect yourself. Because lets face it, if you win and go public, everyone is out to try and get a piece of your winnings. I simply don't understand how people who didn't win feel like they have a right or are entitled to someone elses winnings. If a family member of mine won, I wouldn't expect a dime. If they send me some money that's wonderful, but at the end of the day they won, not me.

I Agree!

But I don't understand how changing your name before you collect your winnigs will help you be anonymous.The public would still know your new name as soon as you collect your winnings so you wouldn't be anonymous anymore.Seems to me that it would just be an exercise in futility.

whitelion

You are correct - your new name will be provided to the public. If you changed your name and you don't disclose that to anyone, then no one would know. Everyone you have ever known in your life would still assume you're under your previous name. If you change your name to a common name like John Smith and there are 50 other John Smiths in your town, they won't know which John Smith won it. If someone asks you if you won, simply reply, "Do you think I would still be working if I had one, or I wish."  You can always change your name back to your birth name after a year or so.  It works, but you must be patient, and silent.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Keep it simple move to a gated community with security, everyone there already has lots of $ so you will fit right in, and Im pretty sure if you keep to yourself they could care less about you.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Apr 24, 2012

Keep it simple move to a gated community with security, everyone there already has lots of $ so you will fit right in, and Im pretty sure if you keep to yourself they could care less about you.

I tried making arrangements in advance with a gated community in case I won but they said we couldn't have our trampolines in the front yard.

Bastages.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Wait a month or so.

I've considered changing my name if I won. I think for here it would be around 2-3 months until I could claim and be around $300 for getting everything involving the name change done, including the time to get stuff straight with DMV, SSN card and bank. It would definitely be worth it in the end though with all the privacy you'd get and, in the case of people with originally rare names, could easily get by with just answering "no" to people who ask if you're the Mike Smith who won the lottery.

VenomV12

You are free to have my name and address because I won't be at that address by the time you come looking for me. Definitely won't be in the state and highly likely I won't even be in the country anymore. 

Trust me this is not that bad. I was robbed at gunpoint years ago and the judicial system in my town, maybe the state, is completely retarded. The police report which was also available to the criminal who robbed me and his friends and associates had my full name and address on it, I could not believe it. I basically screamed at the court and the police and called them morons for this. I mean basic commonsense would be to not let violent criminals know their victims full names and addresses you would think?

My deepest apologies for offending you.   Only your state can answer what those policies are for claiming as a blind trust.   In NC, a few years ago, you could claim as a blind trust, but they have since changed the rules. 

Good luck to you.  I wish you the best.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by zinniagirl on Apr 25, 2012

My deepest apologies for offending you.   Only your state can answer what those policies are for claiming as a blind trust.   In NC, a few years ago, you could claim as a blind trust, but they have since changed the rules. 

Good luck to you.  I wish you the best.

No, zinniagirl, the appropriate place to inquire is the State Lottery Headquarter's toll free phone #, where the person intends to purchase lottery tickets from.  The staff is friendly, and good at giving you the name and title of the person who can help then transferring your call to them or their voicemail to receive your intricate question(s).

Patriot

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Apr 24, 2012

Razz @ gated communities.......

rather go hide in the deep woods and let the animals get the beggars & theives

honestly been in a few gated communities ..... and What I find laughable is the " " rent a cops

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 25, 2012

No, zinniagirl, the appropriate place to inquire is the State Lottery Headquarter's toll free phone #, where the person intends to purchase lottery tickets from.  The staff is friendly, and good at giving you the name and title of the person who can help then transferring your call to them or their voicemail to receive your intricate question(s).

Patriot

Once again, my apologies for offending anyone for thinking they would understand that by contacting your state, I meant your state lottery. 

good luck to everyone.

Lucky SOB

just put it into a trust and fake your death

TNPATL

Dang it guess that means if I were to win I better don a nice wig and some glasses and change my voice.  Then change my phone number and MOVE pronto.  I do not like this law one bit!!!

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Apr 23, 2012

LOL. The ZZ Top dude with the long beard lives in the gated subdivision up the road from me. I haven't seen him, but I know people who have. 

Texas has limited publicity that allows you to claim via trusts, etc, and not be subject to a public interview. I think the minimum is town where the ticket was bought and the entity name claiming. I'd think a good lawyer could bury your identity far enough that the average detective would not be able to find you.

I seem to remember that we have to list at least one name associated with the winning ticket for Lotto Texas, although I am not exactly sure how it works with MM or PB. Had a look over at Mrs. Nettles lottoreport website, results below are for Lotto Texas,

"Re-Cap Feb 15, 2012 Lotto Win 
One winning ticket - Advertised @ $22M 
was sold in San Antonio - Quick Pick Ticket - CVO
Winner: Red Dog Trust, Jefferson Bank, Trustee, Candace Tottenham, 
Assistant Vice President and Trust Officer - Collected 2/23/12" 

"Re-Cap Dec 10, 2011 Lotto Win 
One winning ticket - Advertised @ $30M 
was sold in Seabrook - Self Pick Ticket - CVO

Winner: Bay Dibbs, Ltd., Bay Dibbs Management, L.L.C., 

General Partner, Shirley Christy of Seabrook, 

Executive Vice-President - Collected 12/22/11"

Looks like the TX Lottery is required to list the name of the attorney who claims the prize for a legal entity other than an individual. I think it is pretty safe to assume that they are both getting a nice Christmas bonus this year, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Apr 23, 2012

well, that would be Billy Gibbons, or Rusty Hill. they're the 2w/ long beards,

if you do see him,you may be suprised at just how down to earth he is,

still needs to live in gated place to have P&Q though,

forgot who said it, but yes, good disguise, and bring the "fender" to the press conf.

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 24, 2012

I think I'll change my name to I.M.Anonymous and see if the Iowa Lottery will pay me ~;)

Anoymous, may attract to much attention,

how about ?

I.M. Nodawina.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 25, 2012

Anoymous, may attract to much attention,

how about ?

I.M. Nodawina.

Thats me after tonights Powerball drawing.I.M. Nodawina.

But I might still try I.M. Anonymous when I do win~;)

Colt45ML's avatarColt45ML

Quote: Originally posted by TNPATL on Apr 25, 2012

Dang it guess that means if I were to win I better don a nice wig and some glasses and change my voice.  Then change my phone number and MOVE pronto.  I do not like this law one bit!!!

The GA Lottery rule about this is a bunch of gobble-de-gook.  It is meant to confuse, but in the end you can most definitely use an LLC or a trust, or both(using both is best for a lot of reasons), with your lawyer doing the representing in downtown A-Town without you being there, or your name being revealed.

TNPATL

Quote: Originally posted by Colt45ML on Apr 27, 2012

The GA Lottery rule about this is a bunch of gobble-de-gook.  It is meant to confuse, but in the end you can most definitely use an LLC or a trust, or both(using both is best for a lot of reasons), with your lawyer doing the representing in downtown A-Town without you being there, or your name being revealed.

I'm just seeing the response for this.  Thank you because that's exactly what I would like to do when (positive thinking here) I do win.

Factorem's avatarFactorem

Quote: Originally posted by Awinanme2 on Apr 24, 2012

Legal entities like a Blind Trust must show as a minimum: the name, city, county, and state of residence of each individual Trust member(s). By implication the Blind Trust is perceived as other-than blind.  Any other personal information beyond the minimum required, that is included in the instrument at the time of filing with the Public Office, may be transmitted to whoever makes a FOIA request for the records. However, most government offices responding to FOIA requests may have other provisions that alllows them to redact certain personal information such as residence, Social security numbers etc.  The best answer may yet, be best obtained from the GA Lottery.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story