Judge orders new trial in Arkansas lottery ticket suit

May 25, 2012, 7:18 am (102 comments)

Arkansas Lottery

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — An Arkansas judge on Thursday ordered a new trial to decide who can claim a $1 million scratch-off lottery ticket prize, a little more than three weeks after he ruled that a woman who said she bought the ticket but mistakenly discarded it was entitled to the money.

White County Circuit Judge Thomas Hughes ruled May 1 that Sharon Duncan should get the prize money, not two other women involved in the case. Hughes ordered the new trial in a one-paragraph ruling that did not elaborate on his reasoning.

"After reviewing the actions of counsel appearing in this case, the court file and the record, this court, as authorized by the Arkansas Rules of Civil Procedure, orders a new trial to be held on all claims in this case," Hughes said in the order. A call to Hughes' office was not immediately returned.

Duncan said she purchased the "Diamond Dazzler" ticket at a convenience store in Beebe, about 35 miles northeast of Little Rock. She said the store's electronic scanner indicated she was not a winner, so she discarded the ticket. Sharon Jones, another customer at the store, subsequently picked up the ticket and claimed the winnings for herself.

Winston Collier, Jones' attorney, said he was confused about the judge's reason for ordering a new trial but pleased with the result. Collier said he had planned on requesting a new trial on Friday.

"We're fighting curiosity," Collier said about the ruling. "We're tempering it with our elation that our client has no longer lost a million dollars. We feel really good about our chances moving forward."

Duncan said she discarded the ticket after an electronic scanner told her it was not a winner. The state's Lottery Commission has defended the machine and says its equipment functions properly. The store's manager and owner sued Jones, claiming she illegally took the ticket from the bin. Duncan joined the lawsuit after the judge determined she may be the true owner of the ticket.

AP

Comments

Todd's avatarTodd

I think both of these people would be better off if they privately agreed to split the prize money.  By the time all these lawsuits and appeals are finished, there will be no prize left to award, because the lawyers will have it all.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 25, 2012

I think both of these people would be better off if they privately agreed to split the prize money.  By the time all these lawsuits and appeals are finished, there will be no prize left to award, because the lawyers will have it all.

Type seems like all the more reason to become an ambulance chaser to me LOL

mcginnin56

Funny thing Todd, before reading your comment I was thinking exactly the same thing. Half a million, even after taxes, not really chump change.

At this juncture, I wonder If that is even an option?

Greed seems to be the common thread for why these lawsuits cannot be amicably settled.    Argue

steph219121's avatarsteph219121

I was thinking the same thing!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

I Agree!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

I had a feeling that the judges decision would be overturned but it came as a surprise that the original judge overturned his own decision.He must have got a lot of flack from the public on his original decision.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on May 25, 2012

I had a feeling that the judges decision would be overturned but it came as a surprise that the original judge overturned his own decision.He must have got a lot of flack from the public on his original decision.

I agree. It would probably have been overturned on appeal (which lower court judges do not want to happen) so the judge "modified" his/her decision. I am sure the finder will get a share...maybe 1/3 or as much as 1/2.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 25, 2012

I agree. It would probably have been overturned on appeal (which lower court judges do not want to happen) so the judge "modified" his/her decision. I am sure the finder will get a share...maybe 1/3 or as much as 1/2.

Still not a bad days pay for a "trash picker".  Naughty

rad242

I agree!

They must know by now that 1m isn't that much money in the larger scheme of things and with court fees, legal fees, darn just the gas alone going back and forth to court and the lawyers' offices will wipe them both out.

Greed is a serious cancer.

sully16's avatarsully16

yep.

tg636

It would have been a bigger payday if the trash picker had kept
her mouth shut.  That's the big lesson of this case.  If you find a winner
be quiet, walk away, take it home and jump up and down and
scream there...and then wait a couple months to break the chain of
events and have memories and timelines fade. It may be hard
to contain yourself, but being sued out of your million
dollar ticket is a little harder, wouldn't you say?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on May 25, 2012

I'm sure she has relived that scenario hundreds of times over in her dreams. Loose lips, sink ships.  Thinking of...

Stack47

"Duncan said she discarded the ticket after an electronic scanner told her it was not a winner. The state's Lottery Commission has defended the machine and says its equipment functions properly."

If the machine was working properly, Duncan didn't have the winning ticket and maybe why the judge ordered a new trial. Unless Duncan bought the only ticket sold in that store, she can't prove the ticket Jones found was hers. Duncan should have know if the ticket was a winner by looking at the ticket. It's a simple game; match one of your 8 number with one of 20 game numbers and win the prize listed below the number.

It looks like after the store owner and manager sued Jones for taking the ticket from their trash, Duncan decided to claim the discarded ticket was hers.

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 25, 2012

"Duncan said she discarded the ticket after an electronic scanner told her it was not a winner. The state's Lottery Commission has defended the machine and says its equipment functions properly."

If the machine was working properly, Duncan didn't have the winning ticket and maybe why the judge ordered a new trial. Unless Duncan bought the only ticket sold in that store, she can't prove the ticket Jones found was hers. Duncan should have know if the ticket was a winner by looking at the ticket. It's a simple game; match one of your 8 number with one of 20 game numbers and win the prize listed below the number.

It looks like after the store owner and manager sued Jones for taking the ticket from their trash, Duncan decided to claim the discarded ticket was hers.

I think they have video footage of her buying the ticket. Or something. But I agree, especially if they didn't scan the ticket at time of purchase. I see clerks do this sometimes ... I buy it and they don't scan it they just hand it over.

I'm still perplexed the judge can just up and decide to re trial. I didn't think that was legal?

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Hiding Behind Computer

Lucky SOB

i would love to know how much money will be left when things are finished.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

They'd probably be money ahead if the ruling stands and they did that but I still hope the lady who pulled it out of the garbage keeps it all.

They're just going on the other lady's word that it was her ticket and the scanner malfunctioned. They can't connect her with it with any evidence whatsoever outside of her word. Anybody could've made the same claim.

And I gotta feeling that's what's gonna happen - the picker's gonna get it all.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on May 25, 2012

Good idea, i'd like to add that you should buy 5 or 10 tix of the same game,

so that you actually played the game, and thats where the winner came from,

not the trashcan.

Judges can reverse themselves but it more often occurs when a motion for reconsideration is filed. I am sure there were some motions filed by the losing side and I think (my guess) is the judge realized he dropped the ball on something factually.  If the case was appealed and remanded back to him, that is a big slap to his career. So he must have messed up something big time and is trying to save his name.

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

She should hsve just cashed the ticket and not told anyone that dhe found it.if a ticket scanner says that a ticket is a loser and she trew it away she wouldnt have known it was a winner.they lady who bought the ticket deserves to get sued for her blatent stupidity for running her mouth and bragging.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 25, 2012

Judges can reverse themselves but it more often occurs when a motion for reconsideration is filed. I am sure there were some motions filed by the losing side and I think (my guess) is the judge realized he dropped the ball on something factually.  If the case was appealed and remanded back to him, that is a big slap to his career. So he must have messed up something big time and is trying to save his name.

Maybe another judge or someone from the lottery pointed out his mistake. Jones told the lottery how she got the ticket and they gave her the prize, but the store owner sued saying it was in their trash. The judge awarded the money to Duncan even though she said she discarded the ticket probably because Duncan and the store owner said the scanner malfunctioned.

It will be interesting how this one turns out.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

I Agree!

lincolnAbe's avatarlincolnAbe

Suppose the judge now rules its 50/50, wouldn't that set a precident on how to rule on 'found' tickets going forward? 

Wouldn't that open the flood gates of folks stealing other folks winning tickets and later claiming they 'found' them... and are gladly willing to share 50/50?

Lucky Loser

You know, this whole incident has taken place for (1) reason, and (1) reason only...the amount of money involved. Man, if this was a ticket containing a prize of $20...even $50, there would be no debate because such a small amount "could be easily won again." People go through trash cans every single day, EVERYWHERE, and find tickets with overlooked prizes which they claim. This has become all POLITICAL and TECHNICAL now in terms of the trash can and its' contents belonging to the store. It's actually very sickening to me on many, many levels. What about the bums that go around to those same cans and dumpsters, WHICH BELONG TO THE STORES, and collect the cans along with other items they consider of value...even food? They collect these items and sell them them so they can eat right?

Well, it's still all the same basis by which this ticket is being approached. Do we see or hear about stores filing suite against these bums over cans, or, the left over partial hot dog they took and ate...which also belonged to someone else? Hell, bums find old tickets with maybe $2 on 'em as well...and claim them!! So, what's really going on here is a political battle over a player's "claim" that their ticket was scanned and the scanner lied so they threw the ticket away. Guess what? It's still her fault. She should've known from the start, AFTER CAREFULLY READING HOW TO PLAY THE GAME AND COMPARING  ITS' CORRESPONDING PAYOUT STRUCTURES VERSUS WHAT NUMBERS SHE MATCHED.

I don't believe the scanner malfunctioned at all...she's trying to back track and pick up that cool million she tossed away after a very ATTENTIVE and SAVVY PLAYER came along, found the ticket and saw it's true value. God intentionally gave all of us eyes and a brain full of cells which are fully capable of comprehending such a simple ticket. She didn't use either one of her God given talents, which would've made her $1 million richer in this case. So, now we punish the trash diver that hones in and uses their brain to look for such tickets...because they know that these tickets are  thrown away all day everyday by careless, lazy, and uninformed people.

Okay, tell the judge he needs to go out and round up all the bums that took discarded cans, hotdogs, and old tickets so he can rule over them as well. As one other poster mentioned which I also agree with, lose lips sink ships...she should've kept quiet and just claimed the money. Right now, she should be on a white sands beach sippin' on lots of Bahama Mamas while snackin' on exotic fruits with a very handsome waiter fanning her, and, at her beck and call.

L.L.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 26, 2012

You know, this whole incident has taken place for (1) reason, and (1) reason only...the amount of money involved. Man, if this was a ticket containing a prize of $20...even $50, there would be no debate because such a small amount "could be easily won again." People go through trash cans every single day, EVERYWHERE, and find tickets with overlooked prizes which they claim. This has become all POLITICAL and TECHNICAL now in terms of the trash can and its' contents belonging to the store. It's actually very sickening to me on many, many levels. What about the bums that go around to those same cans and dumpsters, WHICH BELONG TO THE STORES, and collect the cans along with other items they consider of value...even food? They collect these items and sell them them so they can eat right?

Well, it's still all the same basis by which this ticket is being approached. Do we see or hear about stores filing suite against these bums over cans, or, the left over partial hot dog they took and ate...which also belonged to someone else? Hell, bums find old tickets with maybe $2 on 'em as well...and claim them!! So, what's really going on here is a political battle over a player's "claim" that their ticket was scanned and the scanner lied so they threw the ticket away. Guess what? It's still her fault. She should've known from the start, AFTER CAREFULLY READING HOW TO PLAY THE GAME AND COMPARING  ITS' CORRESPONDING PAYOUT STRUCTURES VERSUS WHAT NUMBERS SHE MATCHED.

I don't believe the scanner malfunctioned at all...she's trying to back track and pick up that cool million she tossed away after a very ATTENTIVE and SAVVY PLAYER came along, found the ticket and saw it's true value. God intentionally gave all of us eyes and a brain full of cells which are fully capable of comprehending such a simple ticket. She didn't use either one of her God given talents, which would've made her $1 million richer in this case. So, now we punish the trash diver that hones in and uses their brain to look for such tickets...because they know that these tickets are  thrown away all day everyday by careless, lazy, and uninformed people.

Okay, tell the judge he needs to go out and round up all the bums that took discarded cans, hotdogs, and old tickets so he can rule over them as well. As one other poster mentioned which I also agree with, lose lips sink ships...she should've kept quiet and just claimed the money. Right now, she should be on a white sands beach sippin' on lots of Bahama Mamas while snackin' on exotic fruits with a very handsome waiter fanning her, and, at her beck and call.

L.L.

I make it a point now, to sift threw all garbage cans that I find with discarded lotto tickets. Since about a month ago , I've discovered about $60.

Nothin' to get overly excited about, but all it cost me was a few minutes of my time. My payoff will come someday, when I find my own $1 million

scratch ticket. My ticket will be signed (by me), my lips will be sealed, and the lottery commission will have it delivered to me with no fuss.     Mail For You

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 26, 2012

I make it a point now, to sift threw all garbage cans that I find with discarded lotto tickets. Since about a month ago , I've discovered about $60.

Nothin' to get overly excited about, but all it cost me was a few minutes of my time. My payoff will come someday, when I find my own $1 million

scratch ticket. My ticket will be signed (by me), my lips will be sealed, and the lottery commission will have it delivered to me with no fuss.     Mail For You

Well some things to think about here are....applying a reasonable person standard.

1.) Would a reasonable person have thrown away such a  high value ticket...no.

2.) Was she negligent/or did she have an intent to abandon in throwing away the ticket? Probably not (unless the time period to claim had run).  I doubt anyone plays not to win.

3.) is is possible the scanner misfunctioned?  Yes.

But I am pulling for the finder as well.  It kind of reminds me of situations when someone gets rid of something (a painting, etc.) and it turns out to be high value.  In those cases (and usually where the ultimate owner is far removed from the orignal owner), it is usually finders keepers (unless there was some intent to deceive the owner or theft.)

Lucky Loser

Hey, good for you man...and congrats on your findings!!Cheers You should be very excited!!! I'm a big believer in SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND and challeneged myself to salvage a few discarded tickets. So far, I've only found $5 but, as you've mentioned, all it costed me was TIME and EFFORT...100% profit. Hell, that ticket I cashed in bought me lunch that same day!!Thumbs Up I had lunch on someone else's carelessness...not my fault. See, it's the simple things in life that reward us most of the time but, most people are too proud to do such things.

That's why they make gloves, soap, and sanitizer!! mcginnis, there's lots of money out there just waiting to be found and your diligence will, in fact, pay off BIG one day. Even if it's not $1million, a $1000 find will pay some bills, feed you, and allow you to enjoy one hell of a HAPPY HOUR the next day!!

As a side note, I'm expecting to be contacted any minute now by the store where I found the $5 ticket. They'll want their cut of the $5 because I found it in their can!!Green laughLOLNo NoNo Nod mcginnis, the clerk even saw me bring the ticket in from my car after I finished checkin' 'em...and proceeded to cash it for me. Know what he said? FINDERS KEEPERS!!!!Patriot

We don't live in a bad world, we live in a good world with a bunch of confused people.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I can hunt, fish and grow things to feed myself and my family if I need to.

I'd be dammed before I lower myself to sift through somebody else's garbage and spit and puke and dirty diapers and condoms and who knows what else for anything.

I'd rather have my pride and dignity and self-respect as a man.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 26, 2012

I can hunt, fish and grow things to feed myself and my family if I need to.

I'd be dammed before I lower myself to sift through somebody else's garbage and spit and puke and dirty diapers and condoms and who knows what else for anything.

I'd rather have my pride and dignity and self-respect as a man.

A very dignified response.  Patriot     I respect that man.

Lucky Loser

A very dignified response.  Patriot     I respect that man.

X's 2. The cans I'm referring to are the one's inside the store right next to the counter where people scratch their tickets, or, the one's just outside the exit door where they toss 'em immediately. Though still trash cans, these don't typically contain all the aforementioned articles of disgust.

I wonder, now, why this comment wasn't made about the lady in question who found her $1 MIL ticket in a trash can full of nasty stuffWhat? Nothing was said about how disgusting it was for her to look for valuable tickets in trash cans.No Nod See how interesting things can get when you begin to inspect the technical aspect of such discussions? Get ready 'cause it's coming...

L.L.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by lincolnAbe on May 26, 2012

Suppose the judge now rules its 50/50, wouldn't that set a precident on how to rule on 'found' tickets going forward? 

Wouldn't that open the flood gates of folks stealing other folks winning tickets and later claiming they 'found' them... and are gladly willing to share 50/50?

The lottery already gave the money to Jones so whatever the court finally rules has nothing to do with any lottery decisions. There are at least four parties involved in the suit so it can't be a 50/50 split.

mcginnin56

X's 2. The cans I'm referring to are the one's inside the store right next to the counter where people scratch their tickets, or, the one's just outside the exit door where they toss 'em immediately. Though still trash cans, these don't typically contain all the aforementioned articles of disgust.

I wonder, now, why this comment wasn't made about the lady in question who found her $1 MIL ticket in a trash can full of nasty stuffWhat? Nothing was said about how disgusting it was for her to look for valuable tickets in trash cans.No Nod See how interesting things can get when you begin to inspect the technical aspect of such discussions? Get ready 'cause it's coming...

L.L.

Yeah, the only items I sift through are located at lottery locations, which have nothin' but discarded lotto tickets/scratchers. Guess the other guy

was referring to checking out his own trash.  Green laugh

Stack47

L.L.

If I read the story right, Jones climbed into a trash bin and hopefully was wearing a "hazmat" suit because people have been know to dumb their garbage and trash from their homes in those bins. Some are saying Jones was stupid for telling people she found a "million dollar ticket", as  if dumpster diving is a noble profession.

If I had to do it maybe, but I sure wouldn't want anybody knowing. Just saying.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

L.L.

"I wonder, now, why this comment wasn't made about the lady in question who found her $1 MIL ticket in a trash can full of nasty stuff"

Women are a whole different story.

There's no accounting for every cat-lady who's got garbage piled six feet high in her house full of cats and how they run their lives.

I'm talking about men.

Some men will pick through other people's garbage and some won't.

I'm one of the ones who won't.

It's really not that complicated.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 26, 2012

If I read the story right, Jones climbed into a trash bin and hopefully was wearing a "hazmat" suit because people have been know to dumb their garbage and trash from their homes in those bins. Some are saying Jones was stupid for telling people she found a "million dollar ticket", as  if dumpster diving is a noble profession.

Agreed, but having said that, a million dollar ticket would probably take away some of that indignity???

Agreed, but having said that, a million dollar ticket would probably take away some of that indignity???

no.  that kind of stank sticks.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on May 26, 2012

It's nice to hear from a lady who knows the meaning of pride, dignity and self-respect. Thumbs Up

mcginnin56

That's what Teflon was invented for.  Idea

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 26, 2012

Oh, I understand exactly where YOU'RE coming from, STACK...and have no issues with it at all. My thing is that since the inception of discussing how a couple of us have since found tickets with prizes, IT JUST NOW BECAME ALL NASTY AND DISGUSTING...AS OPPOSED TO BEFORE NOW when the topic was originally posted. Feel me now? I'm just trying to keep it clean so it doesn't get out of hand. 

If it's all nasty and disgusting now, as it's been said, it should've been so when this topic first came about. You're okay, buddy. Hey, she found all that money doing what she wanted to do. Seems to me she kicked pride to the curb and it payed off!!! Her only mistake was that she spoke about it.

L.L.

mcginnin56

"I wonder, now, why this comment wasn't made about the lady in question who found her $1 MIL ticket in a trash can full of nasty stuff"

There's no accounting for every cat-lady who's got garbage piled six feet high in her house full of cats and how they run their lives.

I'm talking about men.

Wow. Not a very flattering commentary on our womenfolk. Watch out for those cat ladies!!!   Surrender

Lucky Loser

I'm talking about men.

I see what you're tryin' to say ridge but, pride doesn't have a gender. Both men and women were put here with various levels of pride. What one man or woman won't do, another will and it's usually based on needs, desperation, desires, hobby, etc. etc. There's nothing wrong with your level of pride as it's very admirable but, don't NOW knock the idea of goin' through trash for winning tickets. Know what I mean? If my memory serves, along with  re-searching this topic on LP, you said nothing before about this type of thing being so disgusting. 

Live and let live.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Oh, I understand exactly where YOU'RE coming from, STACK...and have no issues with it at all. My thing is that since the inception of discussing how a couple of us have since found tickets with prizes, IT JUST NOW BECAME ALL NASTY AND DISGUSTING...AS OPPOSED TO BEFORE NOW when the topic was originally posted. Feel me now? I'm just trying to keep it clean so it doesn't get out of hand. 

If it's all nasty and disgusting now, as it's been said, it should've been so when this topic first came about. You're okay, buddy. Hey, she found all that money doing what she wanted to do. Seems to me she kicked pride to the curb and it payed off!!! Her only mistake was that she spoke about it.

L.L.

"IT JUST NOW BECAME ALL NASTY AND DISGUSTING...AS OPPOSED TO BEFORE NOW..."

It became "all nasty and disgusting" to me when the providers, the breadwinners, the patriarchs of their respective families began revelling about their exploits and endeavors  in groveling around in other people's garbage and waste.

This is no recent groundbreaking revelation, you either have pride and dignity as a man or you don't.

In my family, men don't grovel around in other people's garbage for any reason.

Maybe in your family they do.

"Seems to me she kicked pride to the curb and it payed off!!!"   

It's "paid" not "payed".

But more importantly, though you and others like you may kick your pride to the curb for money, I and a lot of others never will.

It's just not in our DNA.

mcginnin56

It became "all nasty and disgusting" to me when the providers, the breadwinners, the patriarchs of their respective families began revelling about their exploits and endeavors  in groveling around in other people's garbage and waste.

This is no recent groundbreaking revelation, you either have pride and dignity as a man or you don't.

It's "paid" not "payed".

But more importantly, though you and others like you may kick your pride to the curb for money, I and a lot of others never will.

Your so passionate about garbage, very admirable. Perhaps this could be your winning platform in running for president in "16"    Party

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I see what you're tryin' to say ridge but, pride doesn't have a gender. Both men and women were put here with various levels of pride. What one man or woman won't do, another will and it's usually based on needs, desperation, desires, hobby, etc. etc. There's nothing wrong with your level of pride as it's very admirable but, don't NOW knock the idea of goin' through trash for winning tickets. Know what I mean? If my memory serves, along with  re-searching this topic on LP, you said nothing before about this type of thing being so disgusting. 

Live and let live.

L.L.

I can't speak for women any better than you can.

And you can't.

Or maybe you got one of them "feminine sides" the libs talk about all the time.

I know Max knows what I'm talkin' about though.

She won't get down and root around in garbage either.

mcginnin56

And you can't.

Yup, your a definite shoe-in for a garbage industry endorsed,  presidential candidate!  Can I be on your election committee? I promise to be your

biggest cheer leader.  Hyper

Lucky Loser

It's "paid" not "payed".

Sorry 'bout the typo...I'm not perfect. I never knew that checking discarded tickets, out of a trash can, was a form of lowering my pride, ridge. I think of it as more of an adventure with the high possibility of a reward...kinda like the lady we're talkin' about.

So, let's examine this. A man has lost his job, and is doing everything he can to take care of his family. He heard about such possibilities of finding valuable tickets and gives it a shot in the dark, okay. This same man discovers a ticket discarded with a $50K prize which saves him and his family from going completely under. Now, he had lots of pride but, he put it aside and it ends up saving him. What do you say about this man who's the bread winner...the patriarch of his family who exploited himself with an endeavor by checking garbage cans and groveling?

What really matters in the end, ridge? Yeah, men are supposed to be proud. But, REAL MEN AREN'T OVERLY PROUD. There is a such thing as being TOO PROUD. Be very, very careful in claiming what you will or won't do in this life, ridge. A real man does what he has to do when it comes to his family. You're very close to saying you wouldn't do what's necessary to try and care for your family because of your pride.

I'm going to leave this alone because it's taken a serious turn for the worse at my own expense. Take it easy.

L.L.

mcginnin56

And you can't.

Seems like when your running out of anything sensible to say, you resort to calling male posters "feminine". In many ways, that is a compliment.

Women are beautiful, intelligent, and and very resourceful when it comes to achieving their goals in life. You need to continue to call all of us male

posters "feminine". This is the highest compliment you could ever give to any one of us. Women YOU ROCK!!!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Sorry 'bout the typo...I'm not perfect. I never knew that checking discarded tickets, out of a trash can, was a form of lowering my pride, ridge. I think of it as more of an adventure with the high possibility of a reward...kinda like the lady we're talkin' about.

So, let's examine this. A man has lost his job, and is doing everything he can to take care of his family. He heard about such possibilities of finding valuable tickets and gives it a shot in the dark, okay. This same man discovers a ticket discarded with a $50K prize which saves him and his family from going completely under. Now, he had lots of pride but, he put it aside and it ends up saving him. What do you say about this man who's the bread winner...the patriarch of his family who exploited himself with an endeavor by checking garbage cans and groveling?

What really matters in the end, ridge? Yeah, men are supposed to be proud. But, REAL MEN AREN'T OVERLY PROUD. There is a such thing as being TOO PROUD. Be very, very careful in claiming what you will or won't do in this life, ridge. A real man does what he has to do when it comes to his family. You're very close to saying you wouldn't do what's necessary to try and care for your family because of your pride.

I'm going to leave this alone because it's taken a serious turn for the worse at my own expense. Take it easy.

L.L.

" I think of it as more of an adventure..."

Now see, there's the dichotomy between you and me. When I think of adventure, I think of hunting bear or elk in the mountains - you think of groveling around in somebody's garbage. Sorry, but I just can't relate to that.

And your scenario of a man losing his job and needing to feed his family is just a wee bit silly, isn't it?

I mean really, what kind of man, faced with that prospect, is gonna say to his wife: "Well honey, I know you and the kids are hungry but don't worry, I've got a plan! Yes honey, I'm gonna go out and dig through people's garbage cans to see if anybody threw away a winning lottery ticket!"

And of course she'd swoon and say: "You're my hero!"

" But, REAL MEN AREN'T OVERLY PROUD."

Yes they are.

"There is a such thing as being TOO PROUD."

No there isn't.

"Be very, very careful in claiming what you will or won't do in this life..."

Careful never leaves the house.

"A real man does what he has to do when it comes to his family."

That's right, including laying down his life but digging around in other people's garbage cans is not one of the options a man considers.

How would you feel if one of your friends said: "Hey Lucky Loser, I ran into your father today. He was groveling around in the garbage can at 7-11!"

Could you live with that?

I couldn't.

And you can't.

I've been down and I've been stone broke.  We have lived on cans of soup and cereal (with water) for weeks on end.  Never did we go on public aide nor did we root around in trash or garbage.  The lessons we learned from 'living lean' were to make our choices matter and that every choice makes a difference.  EVERY CHOICE makes a difference.  Trash was not one of 'our' choices.

That's not to say that others can't make different choices.  Those are just the choices my family makes.

mcginnin56

" I think of it as more of an adventure..."

Now see, there's the dichotomy between you and me. When I think of adventure, I think of hunting bear or elk in the mountains - you think of groveling around in somebody's garbage. Sorry, but I just can't relate to that.

And your scenario of a man losing his job and needing to feed his family is just a wee bit silly, isn't it?

I mean really, what kind of man, faced with that prospect, is gonna say to his wife: "Well honey, I know you and the kids are hungry but don't worry, I've got a plan! Yes honey, I'm gonna go out and dig through people's garbage cans to see if anybody threw away a winning lottery ticket!"

And of course she'd swoon and say: "You're my hero!"

" But, REAL MEN AREN'T OVERLY PROUD."

Yes they are.

"There is a such thing as being TOO PROUD."

No there isn't.

"Be very, very careful in claiming what you will or won't do in this life..."

Careful never leaves the house.

"A real man does what he has to do when it comes to his family."

That's right, including laying down his life but digging around in other people's garbage cans is not one of the options a man considers.

How would you feel if one of your friends said: "Hey Lucky Loser, I ran into your father today. He was groveling around in the garbage can at 7-11!"

Could you live with that?

I couldn't.

Whew! A very time consuming post, to explain your garbage views.  As usual, this has nothin' to do with this thread, forum or topic whatsoever.

Had this been a post from sully, CD, max or any other of your bud's, we wouldn't even be having this pleasant chat.  Yes Nod

Whew! A very time consuming post, to explain your garbage views.  As usual, this has nothin' to do with this thread, forum or topic whatsoever.

Had this been a post from sully, CD, max or any other of your bud's, we wouldn't even be having this pleasant chat.  Yes Nod

oops... neither did my post or responses.  Sorry to have derailed the thread further.  (LOTTERY post... i must keep reminding myself... LOTTERY post... got it!)

mcginnin56

oops... neither did my post or responses.  Sorry to have derailed the thread further.  (LOTTERY post... i must keep reminding myself... LOTTERY post... got it!)

Don't be so hard on yourself max, the thread is growing exponentially, due on large part to your valuable contributions.

Don't be so hard on yourself max, the thread is growing exponentially, due on large part to your valuable contributions.

now mcginnin... you mock me!  lol - well good for you.  i read through my 'contributions' and they are a FAR cry from valuable.  you did make me laugh though and that is always a good thing (while i plan my LOTTERY STRATEGIES FOR TONIGHTS POWERBALL DRAWING) 

and they said you can't teach an ol' dog new tricks.  (YES I MIGHT GO OUT AND PURCHASE A QUICK-PICK FOR POWERBALL TONIGHT) - and yes i needed to yell at myself cuz i dont listen all that often to my drivel  (driv·el/'driv?l/  - Noun:  Silly nonsence.)

Hey now I have two kitties (including one adopted from a hoarder home) and my house is very, very  clean (and I clean it myself and work two jobs).

The kitty from an animal hoarder home took a year to adjust since she was not used to rules, a  schedule and a clean home.

Those hoarders should not have any animals.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 26, 2012

Hey now I have two kitties (including one adopted from a hoarder home) and my house is very, very  clean (and I clean it myself and work two jobs).

The kitty from an animal hoarder home took a year to adjust since she was not used to rules, a  schedule and a clean home.

Those hoarders should not have any animals.

You are so on the money Artist! Nothin' against the hoarders, but their lifestyle would not be at all conducive, to raising an animal with humane

care and love.  Lovies

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You bore me with your banal, insipid, effeminate, happy-chat, McDoofus.

Save it for someone who might like your style of meaningless fluff, ok?

Did you not notice that I was ignoring you or are you that obnoxious?

Seriously dude, no hard feelings, just go stalk somebody else, you creep me out.

Lucky Loser

max, I'm glad you got the point here and there's absolutely no harm in your previous response. However, this whole deal revolves around getting lucky with finding valuable discarded tickets in "not so dirty" disposal cans. I was merely describing how this could possibly be very adventurous, and, financially prospering for a certain type of individual that enjoys all things lottery. No, it's not the cleanest thing for anyone to be doing but, it wasn't about the clean factor. It was about money being found that was thrown away by careless and uninformed individuals. Am I right so far?

Then, the whole thing was turned into a Pride and Prejudice re-take of sorts...about what a man and/or his family shouldn't be doing. It was never about survival or putting food on the table by doing such things. My lunch via scratch ticket of $5 was taken completely out of context as I was using it only as an example of how I put such a find to good use and fed myself. For this matter, it could've been $5 worth of gas! That was it...nothing more nothing less. Where the hell does pride fit in this? Should I have been too proud to have lunch on a ticket that I found inside a can full of other papers and scratch tickets?

How off topic, immature, and disrespectful is dragging a person's family or pride into a discussion like this? In the end though, big game hunters go out and look for big game in various places...this is what they enjoy. Lottery players go out and look for tickets in various places...this is what they enjoy. The hunter finds a big elk and the lottery player finds a $1 million dollar ticket!!! Is this not a wash? It was a very, very simple discussion.

As I last said, we don't live in a bad world...we live in a good world with lots of confused individuals. For the record, I don't see you as confused. Here's to healthy living and happy lotto, max!!!Cheers

L.L.

max, I'm glad you got the point here and there's absolutely no harm in your previous response. However, this whole deal revolves around getting lucky with finding valuable discarded tickets in "not so dirty" disposal cans. I was merely describing how this could possibly be very adventurous, and, financially prospering for a certain type of individual that enjoys all things lottery. No, it's not the cleanest thing for anyone to be doing but, it wasn't about the clean factor. It was about money being found that was thrown away by careless and uninformed individuals. Am I right so far?

Then, the whole thing was turned into a Pride and Prejudice re-take of sorts...about what a man and/or his family shouldn't be doing. It was never about survival or putting food on the table by doing such things. My lunch via scratch ticket of $5 was taken completely out of context as I was using it only as an example of how I put such a find to good use and fed myself. For this matter, it could've been $5 worth of gas! That was it...nothing more nothing less. Where the hell does pride fit in this? Should I have been too proud to have lunch on a ticket that I found inside a can full of other papers and scratch tickets?

How off topic, immature, and disrespectful is dragging a person's family or pride into a discussion like this? In the end though, big game hunters go out and look for big game in various places...this is what they enjoy. Lottery players go out and look for tickets in various places...this is what they enjoy. The hunter finds a big elk and the lottery player finds a $1 million dollar ticket!!! Is this not a wash? It was a very, very simple discussion.

As I last said, we don't live in a bad world...we live in a good world with lots of confused individuals. For the record, I don't see you as confused. Here's to healthy living and happy lotto, max!!!Cheers

L.L.

LL - ok lottery-wise response.  just as i stick to my budget and wouldnt go beyond it to spend more than what i have planned (as it would take money from other non-lottery portions of my budget e.g. food, utilities, etc.) there are other 'no-go' areas. 

For me, digging around/sorting through what ever kind of verbiage you choose to use, of going through a discard pile (aka trash) is a 'no-go'.  If the recycle bin we are talking about is the one at my HOME or the one at MY office, then yes, I would go through it, as I know what types of things go into and most importantly - to me - I know WHO uses them. 

And stretching a point, if **I** tossed the last thing into a public bin and realized that I threw the items from the wrong hand into the bin, I MIGHT go after them to retrieve them.  (remember - last thing tossed in - e.g. TOP item - STILL is only a 'maybe').

Call it pride, call it germ-awareness, call it what you will, I won't go through a trash/recycle bin checking old discarded not-by-me lottery tickets.

Safe to say, I am not calling up old movie titles here, nor going to any extreme, just saying, that dumpster-diving of any variety is not on my to-do list on any day.

However, I do save all my lottery tickets for the year and they are totalled up and subtracted from my winnings to give me a lower net-taxable (page 1 vs schedule a) bottom line.

oh... and we are (family-wise) hunters - be that of the perfect lottery wheel, combinations of numbers that mean something, or going out and bagging game that feeds several branches of the family all winter (we have a butcher in the family for meat, and a lawyer in the family for any future planned (of course) lottery financial wind-fall disbursements - we are organized non-dumpster-divers!)  Thumbs Up

Lucky Loser

On top of all this, just how far fetched is the possibility of a man finding a big ticket and fixing some financial problems? The lady in question did exactly the same thing only the circumstances were different. I'm 99.99% sure she was going to fix some financial issues and eat off of that money along with probably helping some people close to her. What else do you do with money? 

Maybe I should be out with my shotgun way "up thar in them thar hills 'a lookin' fer the big elk" that ate the million dollar scratch off that noone's a' claimed yet. I'll find that elk, bust a cap in 'em, cut 'em open a take that thar ticket up in to the lotto peoples for 'a cashin' it!!!! Oh, I gotta clean that thar ticket first, tho', or it'll be plenty unacceptable for 'em.

Yeah, maybe this is more manly and full of pride. Goin' to get my shotgun and buckshots right now I tell ya!!!!! Just you wait...

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

On top of all this, just how far fetched is the possibility of a man finding a big ticket and fixing some financial problems? The lady in question did exactly the same thing only the circumstances were different. I'm 99.99% sure she was going to fix some financial issues and eat off of that money along with probably helping some people close to her. What else do you do with money? 

Maybe I should be out with my shotgun way "up thar in them thar hills 'a lookin' fer the big elk" that ate the million dollar scratch off that noone's a' claimed yet. I'll find that elk, bust a cap in 'em, cut 'em open a take that thar ticket up in to the lotto peoples for 'a cashin' it!!!! Oh, I gotta clean that thar ticket first, tho', or it'll be plenty unacceptable for 'em.

Yeah, maybe this is more manly and full of pride. Goin' to get my shotgun and buckshots right now I tell ya!!!!! Just you wait...

L.L.

Buckshots? Hmmm... You've never been around guns, have ya boy? Buckshots, LOL.

Ya know, Lucky Loser, I've spent time in Texas and I have a brother that lives there and I know a few ol' boys born and raised in Texas. Good ol' boys. 

And you don't sound or act like anybody that's in or from Texas.

And if you were a real Texan and you had something to say to me, you'd say it to me and not play childish rhetorical games while purportedly addressing somebody else.

You'd act like a man.

I think you're more likely from somewhere like California than Texas.

Probably SanFrancisco.

Lucky Loser

Buckshots? Hmmm... You've never been around guns, have ya boy? Buckshots, LOL.

Ya know, Lucky Loser, I've spent time in Texas and I have a brother that lives there and I know a few ol' boys born and raised in Texas. Good ol' boys. 

And you don't sound or act like anybody that's in or from Texas.

And if you were a real Texan and you had something to say to me, you'd say it to me and not play childish rhetorical games while purportedly addressing somebody else.

You'd act like a man.

I think you're more likely from somewhere like California than Texas.

Probably SanFrancisco.

Okay, let's talk ridge...we should. Yeah, I am from Texas and I was born and raised here. This post was merely being sarchastic and havin' a little fun with the buckshots, elk, hills, etc, etc. I'd like to know one thing...just how does a Texan "sound" on a forum? I mean, you're reading my dialogues which are pretty straight forward with simple words...easy to understand. Does a Texan "write" a certain way on forums or what? Really, tell me what characteristics a true Texan possesses on a forum. How does one, in fact, "act" on a forum? 

So, I'm not a real Texan if I decide to drop dialogues with someone because I see it as pointless and converse with others about my own dialogues? Only Texans do this? Hmmm. Well, a real man wouldn't drag a person's pride and/or their family into such a simple and straight forward conversation about getting lucky with lotto tickets found in a trash can...and a lady that's already done it.

Also, I made two different posts to two different people and you chose the one about the buckshots. Why? Was the other one too hard to address because it made sense and was true? I mean, there was a lot more there for you to pick through and address. You seem to pick and choose your battles...the easier one's I might add. I could say lots of nasty things about you if I really wanted to but, it's not my style and it's not right. While I've addressed you as ridge all this time everywhere, you've called me boy and hinted at me being feminine or something...I don't know.

So, what kind of man does those things, ridge? You tell me to act like a man...very interesting.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Okay, let's talk ridge...we should. Yeah, I am from Texas and I was born and raised here. This post was merely being sarchastic and havin' a little fun with the buckshots, elk, hills, etc, etc. I'd like to know one thing...just how does a Texan "sound" on a forum? I mean, you're reading my dialogues which are pretty straight forward with simple words...easy to understand. Does a Texan "write" a certain way on forums or what? Really, tell me what characteristics a true Texan possesses on a forum. How does one, in fact, "act" on a forum? 

So, I'm not a real Texan if I decide to drop dialogues with someone because I see it as pointless and converse with others about my own dialogues? Only Texans do this? Hmmm. Well, a real man wouldn't drag a person's pride and/or their family into such a simple and straight forward conversation about getting lucky with lotto tickets found in a trash can...and a lady that's already done it.

Also, I made two different posts to two different people and you chose the one about the buckshots. Why? Was the other one too hard to address because it made sense and was true? I mean, there was a lot more there for you to pick through and address. You seem to pick and choose your battles...the easier one's I might add. I could say lots of nasty things about you if I really wanted to but, it's not my style and it's not right. While I've addressed you as ridge all this time everywhere, you've called me boy and hinted at me being feminine or something...I don't know.

So, what kind of man does those things, ridge? You tell me to act like a man...very interesting.

L.L.

Could I ignore you later?

I'm a little busy right now.

Lucky Loser

Lurking

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by lincolnAbe on May 26, 2012

There may be some legitimate question as to who is the rightful owner of the ticket, but it's certain that it isn't owned by more than one person. The people involved in the lawsuit  may settle it 50/50 or some other split, and the judge may encourage them to reach a compromise, but he's extremely unlikely to rule that the ticket's history has somehow resulted in shared ownership.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 26, 2012

Well some things to think about here are....applying a reasonable person standard.

1.) Would a reasonable person have thrown away such a  high value ticket...no.

2.) Was she negligent/or did she have an intent to abandon in throwing away the ticket? Probably not (unless the time period to claim had run).  I doubt anyone plays not to win.

3.) is is possible the scanner misfunctioned?  Yes.

But I am pulling for the finder as well.  It kind of reminds me of situations when someone gets rid of something (a painting, etc.) and it turns out to be high value.  In those cases (and usually where the ultimate owner is far removed from the orignal owner), it is usually finders keepers (unless there was some intent to deceive the owner or theft.)

1. A reasonable person wouldn't throw away a ticket that they know to be that valuable, but reasonable people throw away what they believe are losing tickets all the time.

2. It seems clear that she intended to abandon the ticket, but only because she thought it wasn't a winner.

3. I'm guessing operator error is more likely, but I don't think it matters since I think it's clear that she thought the ticket wasn't a winner.

If she had accidentally thrown the ticket in the garbage while throwing away tickets that really were losers there wouldn't have been an intent to abandon it. In that case it would be misplaced property and she would still be the rightful owner. Since it's clear that she intended to abandon the ticket the decision should turn on whether or not her mistaken belief that it was a losing ticket matters. I don't especially think that a mistake about the value of an item that is willfully and intentionally abandoned matters, but the law about lost and misplaced property is about  preserving a person's ownership when they make a mistake. If there isn't statutory law or precedent that is relevant to the particular facts of this case I don't think the judge can be faulted for ruling in favor of the original purchaser or the finder. A ruling for the manager is also reasonable, if the store owner granted her ownership of tickets reclaimed from the store's trash.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 27, 2012

1. A reasonable person wouldn't throw away a ticket that they know to be that valuable, but reasonable people throw away what they believe are losing tickets all the time.

2. It seems clear that she intended to abandon the ticket, but only because she thought it wasn't a winner.

3. I'm guessing operator error is more likely, but I don't think it matters since I think it's clear that she thought the ticket wasn't a winner.

If she had accidentally thrown the ticket in the garbage while throwing away tickets that really were losers there wouldn't have been an intent to abandon it. In that case it would be misplaced property and she would still be the rightful owner. Since it's clear that she intended to abandon the ticket the decision should turn on whether or not her mistaken belief that it was a losing ticket matters. I don't especially think that a mistake about the value of an item that is willfully and intentionally abandoned matters, but the law about lost and misplaced property is about  preserving a person's ownership when they make a mistake. If there isn't statutory law or precedent that is relevant to the particular facts of this case I don't think the judge can be faulted for ruling in favor of the original purchaser or the finder. A ruling for the manager is also reasonable, if the store owner granted her ownership of tickets reclaimed from the store's trash.

These are very, very good points you've made. The third sentence in your paragraph is where the judge should focus his questioning on this case. I say this because of the one point I've already established which is this: She said she scanned the ticket and the scanner diplayed a "no winner" obviously. But, she FIRST had an OPPORTUNITY and RESPONSIBILITY to READ and PROPERLY UNDERSTAND how to PLAY and WIN on this particular game.

Had she done all these things, in the order listed, she woud've clearly known that she had a winning ticket in her hands REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SCANNER DISPLAYED. This way, her claim of a scanner malfunction would be bullet proof and hold the seven seas (water)! As it currently stands, it appears she didn't know she had a winner due to her failure to properly interpret the ticket...and she tossed it. Then, another person came along who knew exactly how to interpret the ticket, did so, and proceeded to claim the winnings abandoned by someone else.

Everything else with the ticket being in the trash can on the store's property is really just red tape and a bunch of BULLSH*T. People check cans every day all day and find small wins which are NEVER disputed. This is a high level trash can find of a scratch ticket. If it were a $1 find, it would've never made anybody's news and Sharon Jones would've simply been be $1 richer. Mrs. Duncan would've thought the $1 find was "cute" at best. 

Trust me Floyd, it's all about the amount...nothing else. Money talks. Very good post.

pick4master

Sue the scanner...it said, "not a winner"..unless we have another case of a crooked clerk.

Lucky Loser

As a side note regarding the scanner, I think they should go back to the same store with the winning ticket and scan it again. If it scanned as a no winner the first time, it should still do it now as the ticket bar code should still be consistent. For that matter, try scanning it on several.

L.L.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 27, 2012

As a side note regarding the scanner, I think they should go back to the same store with the winning ticket and scan it again. If it scanned as a no winner the first time, it should still do it now as the ticket bar code should still be consistent. For that matter, try scanning it on several.

L.L.

Excellent suggestion L.L.

I also have my doubts if the ticket was ever actually scanned to begin with. In either case, your idea makes a lot of sense.   Idea

Hopefully the judge in this case is reading this post as we speak.  Smash

Stack47

L.L.

I'm pretty sure anyone reading the first article thought about dumpster diving, but I would have to wear a hazmat suit to go into go into the bins I saw. Lots of stores have areas where players scratch tickets and throw the losing tickets into waste baskets, but who knows what else they throw or spit into those baskets. And those waste baskets are still inside the store where the "finders keepers" rule doesn't apply.

Jones did find something valuable doing something the majority of us wouldn't consider doing and hadn't she bragged about it, she could be spending the money as we speak. The lesson learned here is, if you want to be a dumpster diver, don't tell anyone what you found.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 27, 2012

Excellent suggestion L.L.

I also have my doubts if the ticket was ever actually scanned to begin with. In either case, your idea makes a lot of sense.   Idea

Hopefully the judge in this case is reading this post as we speak.  Smash

Yep, treat it just like a crime scene and go back to where everything initially took place. Pull the surveillance tape if there's one on file for that date and ckeck the footage so see if Mrs. Duncan scanned her ticket. If she did, then zoom in on the scanner to see what it displayed if possible. If she didn't scan it, then we have a case of clear misinterpretation on the player's part and it's her own fault.

L.L.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure anyone reading the first article thought about dumpster diving, but I would have to wear a hazmat suit to go into go into the bins I saw. Lots of stores have areas where players scratch tickets and throw the losing tickets into waste baskets, but who knows what else they throw or spit into those baskets. And those waste baskets are still inside the store where the "finders keepers" rule doesn't apply.

Jones did find something valuable doing something the majority of us wouldn't consider doing and hadn't she bragged about it, she could be spending the money as we speak. The lesson learned here is, if you want to be a dumpster diver, don't tell anyone what you found.

I'm with you on everything here and there are places I refuse to check for tickets...I do have limitations. Your very last sentence is TOPS!

L.L.

mcginnin56

Yep, treat it just like a crime scene and go back to where everything initially took place. Pull the surveillance tape if there's one on file for that date and ckeck the footage so see if Mrs. Duncan scanned her ticket. If she did, then zoom in on the scanner to see what it displayed if possible. If she didn't scan it, then we have a case of clear misinterpretation on the player's part and it's her own fault.

L.L.

Good material for the next episode of CSI, but we ALSO need a murder to take place. Any hit men on this site?  Chair

Stack47

L.L.

http://myarkansaslottery.com/games/1000000-diamond-dazzler-game-no-087

There is a row of "winning numbers" and a row of "your numbers" and two of the numbers matched and the prize under the number was "$1 million". The ticket showed it was a winner regardless what the clerk said and Duncan was only 35 miles from the claims center in Little Rock. Duncan probably bought and scanned a losing ticket, but I don't believed she discarded the winning ticket unless she is abnormally stupid.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

L.L.

Is this the post you said I avoided, the one where you're whining to Max about me, Lucky Loser? 

Wait a minute, I'm tired of typing that long-ass name. Is it okay if I just call you Loser to save time? Thanks ever so much.

I don't see the point but if you insist...

"...this whole deal revolves around getting lucky with finding valuable discarded tickets in "not so dirty" disposal cans."

Who said anything about "not so dirty disposal cans"? I never said "not so dirty". I used terms more akin to "filthy" and "disgusting" if I recall. Why are you changing the terminology originally used? And how did garbage can become "disposal can"? What is a "disposal can" anyway? Does that signify clean garbage or something? Has the tobacco spit in there been Pasteurized or what? Has the hacked-up phlegm been filtered? Never heard of it. Please explain the sudden shift in terminology.

"I was merely describing how this could possibly be very adventurous..."

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh... I think we covered this one already, Loser. My idea of adventure and yours are worlds apart. I like to hunt big game and fish in the mountains and you like to root around in other people's waste. I don't think I have to expound or expand on that.

"...it's not the cleanest thing for anyone to be doing but, it wasn't about the clean factor."

Uh, yes, it most certainly was about the "clean factor" along with pride, dignity and self-respect as a man. Remember when I mentioned dirty diapers and spit and phlegm and condoms and who knows what else? The "clean factor" was central. It was key.

"Am I right so far?"

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh...

No.

"Where the hell does pride fit in this?"

In your core being.

But don't bother looking.

You don't have any.

"Should I have been too proud to have lunch on a ticket that I found inside a can...?"

That's totally up to you.

After you've already humiliated yourself by digging through somebody's garbage, I guess it really doesn't matter. 

I would say the most important thing at that point is washing your hands real good before digging into that Happy Meal.

"How off topic, immature, and disrespectful is dragging a person's family or pride into a discussion like this?"

In your heart, you're thankful I illustrated the effect this practice could have on your family. The same way you recoil on hearing a member of your family was rooting around in someone's garbage in a public place is the same way your family would be humiliated on hearing you were doing the same thing. You should thank me for that because if nothing else deters you from that disgusting practice, that should. And you know it.

"Lottery players go out and look for tickets in various places..."

No they don't. They get them from lottery agents. 

Don't confuse lottery players with gutter snipes and garbage pickers.

They're two completely different species with completely different core values.

"...we live in a good world with lots of confused individuals."

Heh, heh, that's for sure!

Some people are so confused they think it's perfectly normal to wallow and cavort in other people's waste.

Welp, I hope that satisfies your need for me to address this post, Loser.

I don't know why it was necessary cuz I thought I covered all this ground previously.

But I'm always willing to clarify if necessary.

Let me know if you think I'm avoiding any other posts that you addressed to someone else too and I'll respond.

Good luck!

PoeticJustice32

Well, for a $1 million hell yea I'd sift through a garbage can.  Right now, I'd probably do it for $1000 to be honest.  I usually pick up scratchers and tickets off the ground (people around here don't seem to use the trash can as much I guess).

Pride and dignity don't pay the bills, or put food on the table.  IMO, it takes a real man/woman to do whatever it takes to make sure their family is taken care of.  Whether that be picking up trash, or cleaning toilets or any other job that people seem to think they are too good for and look down their nose upon.   If sifting through a garbage can for a few minutes a day netted me a $1 million then you all can keep your pride and dignity.  The $1 million will suit me just fine. 

Back to the original topic.  I was surprised to read that the judge ruled that the lady who threw away the ticket deserved the money.  I think the lottery made it clear that lottery tickets are bearer instruments.  This should have been open and shut.  Not even the store clerks who sued because it was "their trash can" had a right to it IMO.  Would they have sued if the lady who threw the ticket away came back later and picked it up?  Doubtful.  Anyway, I'm glad to see the judge reverse his decision.  The lady who found the ticket deserves the money.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 27, 2012

Is this the post you said I avoided, the one where you're whining to Max about me, Lucky Loser? 

Wait a minute, I'm tired of typing that long-ass name. Is it okay if I just call you Loser to save time? Thanks ever so much.

I don't see the point but if you insist...

"...this whole deal revolves around getting lucky with finding valuable discarded tickets in "not so dirty" disposal cans."

Who said anything about "not so dirty disposal cans"? I never said "not so dirty". I used terms more akin to "filthy" and "disgusting" if I recall. Why are you changing the terminology originally used? And how did garbage can become "disposal can"? What is a "disposal can" anyway? Does that signify clean garbage or something? Has the tobacco spit in there been Pasteurized or what? Has the hacked-up phlegm been filtered? Never heard of it. Please explain the sudden shift in terminology.

"I was merely describing how this could possibly be very adventurous..."

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh... I think we covered this one already, Loser. My idea of adventure and yours are worlds apart. I like to hunt big game and fish in the mountains and you like to root around in other people's waste. I don't think I have to expound or expand on that.

"...it's not the cleanest thing for anyone to be doing but, it wasn't about the clean factor."

Uh, yes, it most certainly was about the "clean factor" along with pride, dignity and self-respect as a man. Remember when I mentioned dirty diapers and spit and phlegm and condoms and who knows what else? The "clean factor" was central. It was key.

"Am I right so far?"

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh...

No.

"Where the hell does pride fit in this?"

In your core being.

But don't bother looking.

You don't have any.

"Should I have been too proud to have lunch on a ticket that I found inside a can...?"

That's totally up to you.

After you've already humiliated yourself by digging through somebody's garbage, I guess it really doesn't matter. 

I would say the most important thing at that point is washing your hands real good before digging into that Happy Meal.

"How off topic, immature, and disrespectful is dragging a person's family or pride into a discussion like this?"

In your heart, you're thankful I illustrated the effect this practice could have on your family. The same way you recoil on hearing a member of your family was rooting around in someone's garbage in a public place is the same way your family would be humiliated on hearing you were doing the same thing. You should thank me for that because if nothing else deters you from that disgusting practice, that should. And you know it.

"Lottery players go out and look for tickets in various places..."

No they don't. They get them from lottery agents. 

Don't confuse lottery players with gutter snipes and garbage pickers.

They're two completely different species with completely different core values.

"...we live in a good world with lots of confused individuals."

Heh, heh, that's for sure!

Some people are so confused they think it's perfectly normal to wallow and cavort in other people's waste.

Welp, I hope that satisfies your need for me to address this post, Loser.

I don't know why it was necessary cuz I thought I covered all this ground previously.

But I'm always willing to clarify if necessary.

Let me know if you think I'm avoiding any other posts that you addressed to someone else too and I'll respond.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input and clarifying yourself, ridge. Take it easy, okay.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

L.L.

Whoops, forgot about this one!

Guess I better address it so you don't say I "pick and choose my battles", the "easier ones" as you say.

Alrighty then...

"Yeah, I am from Texas and I was born and raised here."

Highly doubtful unless it was in some gated enclave in the suburbs of Dallas or Austin.

You're just too prissy to be a real Texan. You know what I'm talkin' about.

"This post was merely being sarchastic and havin' a little fun with the buckshots, elk, hills, etc, etc."

Buckshots again, hmmm... You still don't even know what I'm talkin' about, do ya?

Texan... yeah right.

Btw, there's no "h" in sarcastic. Just sayin...

"...just how does a Texan "sound" on a forum?"

Welp, if the Texan is a male he sounds like a man.

"Does a Texan "write" a certain way on forums or what?"

Yep. 

Like a man.

"...tell me what characteristics a true Texan possesses on a forum."

Basically, a Texan would be diametrically opposed to every characteristic you exhibit.

In short, he'd have pride and dignity and self-respect.

He'd act like a man.

"So, I'm not a real Texan if I decide to drop dialogues with someone because I see it as pointless and converse with others about my own dialogues?

No, not at all, but don't then start whining about me avoiding your posts and "picking and choosing the easier ones" to respond to.

"Well, a real man wouldn't drag a person's pride and/or their family into such a simple and straight forward conversation..."

If you don't have any pride, it really doesn't matter then, does it? 

"Also, I made two different posts to two different people and you chose the one about the buckshots. Why? Was the other one too hard to address because it made sense and was true? I mean, there was a lot more there for you to pick through and address. You seem to pick and choose your battles...the easier one's I might add."

I think I've addressed all of them now with this post.

Let me know if I missed any or you feel you need more critique.

"I could say lots of nasty things about you..."

Go ahead on, it don't make me no nevermind. 

"you've called me boy and hinted at me being feminine or something..."

Your "buckshots" comment makes you sound like a boy who's never been around guns in his life. Unless you're a "Dallas Dandy" or an "Austin Aristocrat" it's very doubtful you're a Texan. Guns are critical in Texas History and every Texan I know, knows guns. And I don't recall saying you were feminine. Are you? 

"So, what kind of man does those things, ridge?"

One who calls 'em like he sees 'em.

Good luck!

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by PoeticJustice32 on May 27, 2012

Well, for a $1 million hell yea I'd sift through a garbage can.  Right now, I'd probably do it for $1000 to be honest.  I usually pick up scratchers and tickets off the ground (people around here don't seem to use the trash can as much I guess).

Pride and dignity don't pay the bills, or put food on the table.  IMO, it takes a real man/woman to do whatever it takes to make sure their family is taken care of.  Whether that be picking up trash, or cleaning toilets or any other job that people seem to think they are too good for and look down their nose upon.   If sifting through a garbage can for a few minutes a day netted me a $1 million then you all can keep your pride and dignity.  The $1 million will suit me just fine. 

Back to the original topic.  I was surprised to read that the judge ruled that the lady who threw away the ticket deserved the money.  I think the lottery made it clear that lottery tickets are bearer instruments.  This should have been open and shut.  Not even the store clerks who sued because it was "their trash can" had a right to it IMO.  Would they have sued if the lady who threw the ticket away came back later and picked it up?  Doubtful.  Anyway, I'm glad to see the judge reverse his decision.  The lady who found the ticket deserves the money.

Now, we're gettin' somewhere! If I'm accurately understanding your post, you support that this is mostly geared up due to the amount of money involved. Better yet, your scenario of the original ticket bearer returning and retrieving the ticket and then claiming it as their own is a good point! Hey, according to all the latest rage, it became the store's property after it was discarded. But, the store clerk didn't know a winning ticket was in their trash can and it would've went completely unknown had it not been for Mrs. Jone's discovery!!! Ding, ding...we have a winner ladies and gentlemen!!!!!! So, in all this, who in the hell is the ticket bearer? Mrs. Duncan?No Nod Mrs. Jones?Yes Nod The TRASH CAN?What? The buildingWhat?

The clerk came in on purely the a** end of the whole deal, right? Now, he just wants his cut for the store...again pointing to this being all about the amount of money and TAXES. It's all political, PJ32. As you stated, this should've really been an open and shut case according to the BEARER INSTRUMENT clause on back of the ticket. Nawwww, that's too much like right and honest with this much dough involved!!! 

Very good breakdown, man!Thumbs Up

L.L.

Lucky Loser

So, how appropriate would this headline be for the topic in question:

"LADY FINDS TREASURE IN SOMEONE ELSE'S TRASH"

Kinda follows suite with that old cliche, right? Just a thought...

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 27, 2012

http://myarkansaslottery.com/games/1000000-diamond-dazzler-game-no-087

There is a row of "winning numbers" and a row of "your numbers" and two of the numbers matched and the prize under the number was "$1 million". The ticket showed it was a winner regardless what the clerk said and Duncan was only 35 miles from the claims center in Little Rock. Duncan probably bought and scanned a losing ticket, but I don't believed she discarded the winning ticket unless she is abnormally stupid.

I think that's the most plausible theory.

The person who threw that ticket in the garbage probably isn't even involved in the controversy now.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

L.L.

I know it's too late to consider it but what if all this time, everyone was arguing over a ticket that was a misprint?  It would explain why the scanner didn't read it a winner if done honestly.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by PoeticJustice32 on May 27, 2012

"The store's manager and owner sued Jones, claiming she illegally took the ticket from the bin"

"Well, for a $1 million hell yea I'd sift through a garbage can."

Big difference between sifting through a waste basket or garbage can and a dumpster. And with thousands of lottery retailers in each state, good luck guessing in which dumpster you find a discarded $1 million, $1000, or even a Free ticket.

"Pride and dignity don't pay the bills, or put food on the table."

While you're guessing in which store the clerks don't sift through the discarded tickets before putting them into the dumpster, no bills will be paid or any food will be put on the table. The store where Jones found that ticket now has a "no trespassing" sign on their dumpster.

"If sifting through a garbage can for a few minutes a day netted me a $1 million then you all can keep your pride and dignity."

It might take you more than a few minutes just to find which bag has the discarded tickets assuming you can stand the stench. If that bag is under the rest and the dumpster is full, where will you put the other garbage?

If you do find any winning tickets, take a long long bath and burn your clothes before cashing them.

Lucky Loser

Hey, good for you man...and congrats on your findings!!Cheers You should be very excited!!! I'm a big believer in SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND and challeneged myself to salvage a few discarded tickets. So far, I've only found $5 but, as you've mentioned, all it costed me was TIME and EFFORT...100% profit. Hell, that ticket I cashed in bought me lunch that same day!!Thumbs Up I had lunch on someone else's carelessness...not my fault. See, it's the simple things in life that reward us most of the time but, most people are too proud to do such things.

That's why they make gloves, soap, and sanitizer!! mcginnis, there's lots of money out there just waiting to be found and your diligence will, in fact, pay off BIG one day. Even if it's not $1million, a $1000 find will pay some bills, feed you, and allow you to enjoy one hell of a HAPPY HOUR the next day!!

As a side note, I'm expecting to be contacted any minute now by the store where I found the $5 ticket. They'll want their cut of the $5 because I found it in their can!!Green laughLOLNo NoNo Nod mcginnis, the clerk even saw me bring the ticket in from my car after I finished checkin' 'em...and proceeded to cash it for me. Know what he said? FINDERS KEEPERS!!!!Patriot

We don't live in a bad world, we live in a good world with a bunch of confused people.

L.L.

It's hard to believe that this post and the one mcginnis56 made prior to mine regarding his $60 findings caused this topic to take such a bad turn. This was never the intent, and, it was really taken too seriously and blown way out of proportion. We all know that trash cans, dumpsters, bins, etc. are waste points and are dirty. I don't remember any of us claiming to go dumpster diving, house to house, or anything like that for tickets.

We were focusing on the typical cans located inside or just outside of the stores where the highest content of discarded tickets are likely to be. This is where I concentrated, personally, and never said that even those points were so much better. It was about the idea of finding a winning ticket like Mrs. Jones did and the method by which she did it...I thought it might be interesting to entertain such a thing. Bad idea and I apologize for seemingly imposing on other people's values, levels of pride, dignity, and what ever else.

As a side note, one of my very good friend's son works part time at a convenience store/gas station and he has to change the trash bags out there next to the pumps before he leaves. Well, I just got a call from him about his son and how he just found a $20 ticket in the midst of other tickets in one bag. People do scratch tickets and toss 'em while they're pumping fuel, you know. He checks them all the time, "while he's at it", because he's heard about this sort of thing before...and he finally got lucky on one after all this time. Oh, and the manager on duty seemed to have had no problem cashing it in for him. Nice!!!Thumbs Up

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by pick4master on May 27, 2012

Sue the scanner...it said, "not a winner"..unless we have another case of a crooked clerk.

Three things, briefly:

There is no evidence the scanner didn't work. Just her word.

There is no evidence that she even used the scanner. Just her word.

There is no evidence that she ever had or bought that particular ticket. They can not connect her with it by video or any other means. All they have is her word.

Now, maybe she did buy one of those tickets that day and maybe she did scan it and maybe it did say it wasn't a winner - but that doesn't mean it was that same ticket.

"Jones did find something valuable doing something the majority of us wouldn't consider doing and hadn't she bragged about it, she could be spending the money as we speak."

Except that she didn't brag about it. It seems that she simply claimed the prize. Here's what it says in the original article from January:
"After the check was issued, the lottery commission began the process of confirming all winning tickets and in the course of the investigation, surveillance footage showed Jones grabbing a handful of discarded tickets from the trash bin."

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 28, 2012

"Jones did find something valuable doing something the majority of us wouldn't consider doing and hadn't she bragged about it, she could be spending the money as we speak."

Except that she didn't brag about it. It seems that she simply claimed the prize. Here's what it says in the original article from January:
"After the check was issued, the lottery commission began the process of confirming all winning tickets and in the course of the investigation, surveillance footage showed Jones grabbing a handful of discarded tickets from the trash bin."

"After the check was issued" is too late to prove any of the tickets Jones found in the trash bin was the one she cashed unless Jones said it was.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 28, 2012

"After the check was issued" is too late to prove any of the tickets Jones found in the trash bin was the one she cashed unless Jones said it was.

Stack, it may have had something to do with the ticket's batch number. When the rolls of tickets are dispersed they're more or less registered to the store and can be tracked in terms of numerical sequence. However, in supporting your statement, how can they know that the ticket found was the same one tossed by Mrs.Duncan? It could've been anyone for, that matter, who threw away the ticket in question. All they really know is that the ticket was registered to that location.

Maybe they're gonna check for Mrs. Duncan's fingerprints on the ticketsWhat? All I know is that the two magic words still haven't risen to the occasion in this matter...BEARER INSTRUMENT.

L.L.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 28, 2012

Stack, it may have had something to do with the ticket's batch number. When the rolls of tickets are dispersed they're more or less registered to the store and can be tracked in terms of numerical sequence. However, in supporting your statement, how can they know that the ticket found was the same one tossed by Mrs.Duncan? It could've been anyone for, that matter, who threw away the ticket in question. All they really know is that the ticket was registered to that location.

Maybe they're gonna check for Mrs. Duncan's fingerprints on the ticketsWhat? All I know is that the two magic words still haven't risen to the occasion in this matter...BEARER INSTRUMENT.

L.L.

The lottery issued the check to Jones so by their rules and regulations, she was the winner. The store owner and manager sued Jones claiming the ticket belonged to the store because it was found in their dumpster. The odd part of the judge's ruling was he awarded the money to Duncan who couldn't prove anything other than she bought a lottery ticket the scanner said "was not a winner".

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 28, 2012

The point is that Jones wasn't bragging about it. The lottery's knowledge of how she got the ticket appears to be a result of the investigation that happened after she got the check.

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 28, 2012

L.L.

You need to learn what a bearer instrument really is. Simply being in possession of a bearer instrument and owning in aren't the same thing.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 29, 2012

The point is that Jones wasn't bragging about it. The lottery's knowledge of how she got the ticket appears to be a result of the investigation that happened after she got the check.

Jones could have bought the ticket in a vending machine or from the clerk, but the only way they could know where Jones got the ticket is from what she said. There is a reason stores put trash dumpster as far away from the store as they can and if Jones said she got the ticket out of the dumpster, she was bragging.

Since the footage was viewed after the check was issued, there was no reason for Jones to say anything.

Lucky Loser

You need to learn what a bearer instrument really is. Simply being in possession of a bearer instrument and owning in aren't the same thing.

Wow. Well, excuse the hell out of me, Sir...for imposing on your intelligence. I figured these (3) definitions were pretty self explanatory:

1)

What is  bearer instrument definition  and  meaning

www.businessdictionary.com/definition/bearer-instrument.html

Definition of bearer instrument: Negotiable instrument payable to its holder, on demand or presentment, regardless of to whom it was issued originally.

2)

Bearer Instrument  Law & Legal  Definition

definitions.uslegal.com ›  Legal Definitions Home    B

A  bearer instrument  refers to an instrument that is payable to anyone possessing the instrument and is negotiable by transfer alone. For example, shares and  ...

3)

bearer instrument financial  definition of bearer instrument. bearer  ...

financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bearer+instrument

A security that contains no ownership information and whose physical bearer is presumed to be the owner.  Bearer instruments  may be bought and sold without  ...

L.L.

Lucky Loser

I'll say it again...this time in lotto lingo:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bearer Instruments

Lottery tickets in most countries, if not all, are classified as “bearer instruments”. This means that the ticket legally belongs to the person in possession of it (that is, the one who “bears” it) irrespective of whether or not that person actually bought it.

The implications of this fact should not be underestimated. If you buy a lottery ticket and lose it, the person who finds it is entitled to claim any prize that it wins. The same applies if you give your ticket to someone for safekeeping, or if you are a member of a syndicate. You could therefore potentially miss out on a jackpot if you don’t keep your ticket safe.

A fairly recent development that related to the areas discussed is for lottery operators to offer “lottery cards”. These are similar to credit cards and are registered using the owner’s name and address. When an individual plays a lottery in conjunction with one of these cards, their entry is assigned to them personally, so the potential problems of “losing” a bearer instrument ticket or failing to claim before the due deadline are eradicated very effectively. We anticipate that such lottery cards will one day become the norm, but until then be sure to keep your ticket safe and to claim any prize before the deadline.

L.L.

slayyer

The lottery commision has stated the machines were working and worked for all the tickets before and after her ticket...therefore she must not have scratched off the ticket completely. When interviewed on today show and asked she said she did not know

if she scratched off enough for it to scan. The trash lady said she scratches off all the tickets completely and many that she finds that are winners were not scratched off completely.

So based on this and the news story and interviews------

Woman A buys ticket, scratches off partially, scans and doesn't win, tosses it into the "lottery tickets only" trash bin. It was marked for lottery tickets only.

Trash lady goes into the store and scoops up handfuls of the tickets from the "lottery tickets only" trash.

Trash lady wins. This means the lottery commision tracks down the store the ticket was sold from (by serial number). Investigation shows she didn't buy it and she says she found it in the lottery ticket rash.

After hearing that a ticket from her trash won a million the store owner decides to sue claiming the trash is store property. Epic fail.

She contacts Woman A and tells her to join the suit. Judge rules Woman A is entited but the store owner is not entitled to anything...epic fail again for store owner.

Lottery commision says equiptment perfect and would not fail on 1 ticket..it either works for all or fails for all because it is broken--so she made a ticket scratch error.

Trash lady got around 600k and spent 190k of it on a car and money to kids. Rest of money frozen by judge.

Woman A on good morning america saying she didn't feel bad for trash lady and she deserved every penny of the money. She never considered splitting it as all of it is hers and she earned it. What a witch.

Last week Woman A tried to get judge to impound the car and seize the assets trash lady purchased.

This week judge orders new trial. Woman A is probably wishing she cut a deal now. Store owner still trying to claim ownership of the trash.

A soap opera waiting for jerry springer...................

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by slayyer on May 30, 2012

The lottery commision has stated the machines were working and worked for all the tickets before and after her ticket...therefore she must not have scratched off the ticket completely. When interviewed on today show and asked she said she did not know

if she scratched off enough for it to scan. The trash lady said she scratches off all the tickets completely and many that she finds that are winners were not scratched off completely.

Woman A buys ticket, scratches off partially, scans and doesn't win, tosses it into the "lottery tickets only" trash bin. It was marked for lottery tickets only.

Trash lady goes into the store and scoops up handfuls of the tickets from the "lottery tickets only" trash.

Trash lady wins. This means the lottery commision tracks down the store the ticket was sold from (by serial number). Investigation shows she didn't buy it and she says she found it in the lottery ticket rash.

After hearing that a ticket from her trash won a million the store owner decides to sue claiming the trash is store property. Epic fail.

She contacts Woman A and tells her to join the suit. Judge rules Woman A is entited but the store owner is not entitled to anything...epic fail again for store owner.

Lottery commision says equiptment perfect and would not fail on 1 ticket..it either works for all or fails for all because it is broken--so she made a ticket scratch error.

Trash lady got around 600k and spent 190k of it on a car and money to kids. Rest of money frozen by judge.

Woman A on good morning america saying she didn't feel bad for trash lady and she deserved every penny of the money. She never considered splitting it as all of it is hers and she earned it. What a witch.

Last week Woman A tried to get judge to impound the car and seize the assets trash lady purchased.

This week judge orders new trial. Woman A is probably wishing she cut a deal now. Store owner still trying to claim ownership of the trash.

Excellent summary of events slayyer!

Or perhaps good fodder for a comedy/drama, entitled 'Whose Money Is It Now?"   Jester Laugh

Stack47

"The lottery commision has stated the machines were working and worked for all the tickets before and after her ticket...therefore she must not have scratched off the ticket completely. When interviewed on today show and asked she said she did not know"

We've already come to the conclusion that Duncan isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and we're talking about a $20 scratch-off ticket with a playing area that clearly shows whether the ticket won or not. I provided a link that shows the game ticket; simply match two numbers and win the prize under the number. On the back of the ticket is says how to cash it.

99.9% of all scratch-off players would see one or more of the game numbers matched "your numbers" and would known they won that prize. Maybe Duncan falls into the 0.1% that just scratches the bar code area at the bottom of the ticket and hands it to the clerk to scan, but unless the clerk is as dumb as her, they would scratch off that entire area. Because the lottery commission said the the machine was working properly, the only logical conclusion is Duncan handed the clerk a losing ticket and not the one Jones found.

"Trash lady goes into the store and scoops up handfuls of the tickets from the "lottery tickets only" trash."

You didn't read the article; the trash bin was outside the store and probably as far away from the store as they could put it. Buried underneath who knows what other trash were discarded lottery tickets.

"Investigation shows she didn't buy it and she says she found it in the lottery ticket rash."

Since the lottery commission paid Jones, it doesn't look like it mattered to them how she got the ticket. After that the store viewed surveillance footage and saw Jones with a handful of discarded tickets from the Dumpster. When asked, Jones told the store manager the winning ticket came from the discarded tickets in their dumpster and that's when the lawsuit was filed.

Lucky Loser

1) It's completely her fault for failing to follow through on scratching and validating a win/no win ticket of any amount.

2) The trash lady is simply savvy with scratch tickets and understands that people are so careless in this apsect which is why she said MANY THAT SHE FINDS ARE WINNERS NOT COMPLETELY SCRATCHED OFF...SHE'S WON MANY TIMES PRIOR TO THIS AND NO DISPUTE TOOK PLACE.Shocked

3) The store owner's A** END CLAIM OF WINNINGS FROM A TICKET THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT IS A COMPLETE CLUSTER F**K AND BULLSH*T!!! They just wanted a cut of something they never knew even existed until Jones opened her mouth.

4) As I said before, go back and re-scan the ticket and it must scan the same way it did when Mrs. Duncan supposedly scanned it the first time...i.e. "Scratcher Error".

5) Trash lady deserves the dough. She only capitalized and cashed in on someone else's carelessness as she's done before apparently...and it seems that the BEARER INSTRUMENT clause prevailed for Jones every time EXCEPT NOW and it's only due to the amount of the prize.

6) If Jones would've claimed a $20, $50, even a $100 ticket, we wouldn't even be discussing this case. There wouldn't even be enough for the store owner to think of trying to claim...and they'd care less about Jones hopping their nasty dumpster and finding a $20, $50, or $100 ticket. Duncan would've laughed and probably called her nasty, desperate, and everything else over this amount. 

$1,000,000 smack-a-roos will change anyone's train of thought and motive...count on it.

L.L.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 30, 2012

"The lottery commision has stated the machines were working and worked for all the tickets before and after her ticket...therefore she must not have scratched off the ticket completely. When interviewed on today show and asked she said she did not know"

We've already come to the conclusion that Duncan isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and we're talking about a $20 scratch-off ticket with a playing area that clearly shows whether the ticket won or not. I provided a link that shows the game ticket; simply match two numbers and win the prize under the number. On the back of the ticket is says how to cash it.

99.9% of all scratch-off players would see one or more of the game numbers matched "your numbers" and would known they won that prize. Maybe Duncan falls into the 0.1% that just scratches the bar code area at the bottom of the ticket and hands it to the clerk to scan, but unless the clerk is as dumb as her, they would scratch off that entire area. Because the lottery commission said the the machine was working properly, the only logical conclusion is Duncan handed the clerk a losing ticket and not the one Jones found.

"Trash lady goes into the store and scoops up handfuls of the tickets from the "lottery tickets only" trash."

You didn't read the article; the trash bin was outside the store and probably as far away from the store as they could put it. Buried underneath who knows what other trash were discarded lottery tickets.

"Investigation shows she didn't buy it and she says she found it in the lottery ticket rash."

Since the lottery commission paid Jones, it doesn't look like it mattered to them how she got the ticket. After that the store viewed surveillance footage and saw Jones with a handful of discarded tickets from the Dumpster. When asked, Jones told the store manager the winning ticket came from the discarded tickets in their dumpster and that's when the lawsuit was filed.

Stack, let's focus on your last paragraph.The first sentence is what this entire case should be based solely on...BEARER INSTRUMENT. The third sentence shows how they executed "hind sight action" in lieu of the clause which they had already honered in the first sentence. Sentence two describes how the store owner seemed to  care less about the bums and looters that certainly raided the dumpster before now. But, with a $1M ticket up for grabs......

"Okay, I'm gonna put up a NO TRESSPASSING sign on my dumpster so noone else can find another $1M ticket.Cussing Face This will also keep the bums and looters away which I cared less about prior to now. I now want all my cans, rubbish, and overlooked $1M tickets!!!Cussing Face Oh , I'm not gonna jump in thereNo No to do the dirty work but, NOW, noone else can either. That'll learn ya to benefit off my trash which will STILL leave without me knowing what's in it anyway!!!!Cussing Face It's MY trash and POSSIBLE WINNING TICKETS!!!!!Cussing Face

I truly hope the owner doesn't get an EFFIN' thing outta this deal!! All of a sudden, his d*mned dumpster is soooooo important and of the highest priority because of this woman's extremely rare luck.

Anyway, I dig your post.Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 29, 2012

I'll say it again...this time in lotto lingo:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bearer Instruments

Lottery tickets in most countries, if not all, are classified as “bearer instruments”. This means that the ticket legally belongs to the person in possession of it (that is, the one who “bears” it) irrespective of whether or not that person actually bought it.

The implications of this fact should not be underestimated. If you buy a lottery ticket and lose it, the person who finds it is entitled to claim any prize that it wins. The same applies if you give your ticket to someone for safekeeping, or if you are a member of a syndicate. You could therefore potentially miss out on a jackpot if you don’t keep your ticket safe.

A fairly recent development that related to the areas discussed is for lottery operators to offer “lottery cards”. These are similar to credit cards and are registered using the owner’s name and address. When an individual plays a lottery in conjunction with one of these cards, their entry is assigned to them personally, so the potential problems of “losing” a bearer instrument ticket or failing to claim before the due deadline are eradicated very effectively. We anticipate that such lottery cards will one day become the norm, but until then be sure to keep your ticket safe and to claim any prize before the deadline.

L.L.

"This means that the ticket legally belongs to the person in possession of it (that is, the one who “bears” it) irrespective of whether or not that person actually bought it."

Then I trust we'll never hear you complaining when a clerk tells somebody their ticket won $3 and later turns it in to claim the big prize it really won. As an alternative you could reread the 1st sentence of the 3rd definition you posted.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 31, 2012

"This means that the ticket legally belongs to the person in possession of it (that is, the one who “bears” it) irrespective of whether or not that person actually bought it."

Then I trust we'll never hear you complaining when a clerk tells somebody their ticket won $3 and later turns it in to claim the big prize it really won. As an alternative you could reread the 1st sentence of the 3rd definition you posted.

Yeah, this is pretty much a fail on your part as well because it's already happened, and, is an active topic here on LP.Unhappy If you review my posts, you'll see where I wasn't biased one way or the other and found fault with both parties involved as any reasonable person should. First, the clerk/store was dead wrong for lying about the value of ticket and then trying to cash in on it. If this isn't FRAUD, it was very close to it.

Secondly, I faulted the customer, as well, for not excercising their full abilities to PROPERLY and ACCURATELY INTERPRET the ticket. Regardless of the scanner or the clerk, the customer had the responsibility of knowing full and well whether or not the ticket was, in fact, a winner AND THE AMOUNT OF THE PRIZE. Can't know one without the other, you know. If you know it's a winner, then you should also know how much...end of story.

You're comparing apples to bananas here. The store clerk, in the first incident, compromised the integrity of both the store and the lottery commission. Mrs. Jones, on the other hand, did nothing but hop this store's dumpster and got very, very lucky with her find and claimed it. The store clerk here is simply full of sh*t because they're not wanting to lose out on money they never even knew about from the start.No No No integrity was compromised here. Mrs. Duncan, more than likely, had a losing ticket from the start. The dumpster never had a NO TRESPASSING sign on it prior to this incident. AND, who's to say the dumpster isn't being LEASED by the store and just serviced by the company that REALLY OWNS THE DUMPSTER?Eek

Let's not make this overly complicated, okay. There are technical, actual, and legal aspects to consider in this case. 

L.L.

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 31, 2012

Yeah, this is pretty much a fail on your part as well because it's already happened, and, is an active topic here on LP.Unhappy If you review my posts, you'll see where I wasn't biased one way or the other and found fault with both parties involved as any reasonable person should. First, the clerk/store was dead wrong for lying about the value of ticket and then trying to cash in on it. If this isn't FRAUD, it was very close to it.

Secondly, I faulted the customer, as well, for not excercising their full abilities to PROPERLY and ACCURATELY INTERPRET the ticket. Regardless of the scanner or the clerk, the customer had the responsibility of knowing full and well whether or not the ticket was, in fact, a winner AND THE AMOUNT OF THE PRIZE. Can't know one without the other, you know. If you know it's a winner, then you should also know how much...end of story.

You're comparing apples to bananas here. The store clerk, in the first incident, compromised the integrity of both the store and the lottery commission. Mrs. Jones, on the other hand, did nothing but hop this store's dumpster and got very, very lucky with her find and claimed it. The store clerk here is simply full of sh*t because they're not wanting to lose out on money they never even knew about from the start.No No No integrity was compromised here. Mrs. Duncan, more than likely, had a losing ticket from the start. The dumpster never had a NO TRESPASSING sign on it prior to this incident. AND, who's to say the dumpster isn't being LEASED by the store and just serviced by the company that REALLY OWNS THE DUMPSTER?Eek

Let's not make this overly complicated, okay. There are technical, actual, and legal aspects to consider in this case. 

L.L.

We're not talking about a particular ticket anymore. We're talking about what a bearer instrument is. You said that "the ticket legally belongs to the person in possession of it" , which isn't true.  That's why I told you to reread the first part of your 3rd definition. Do you think a clerk who lies about a ticket's value legally owns the ticket once they gain possession of it?

As for the current case that should also tell you something, since the judge didn't hold a 30 second trial and then award the prize to the woman who was in posession of the ticket and claimed  the prize.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story