$205 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot surges

Jun 7, 2012, 10:13 am (59 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Wednesday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball lottery game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $205 million for Saturday's drawing.

Wednesday was the 12th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.  The jackpot run started April 28 as a $40 million jackpot.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $139.6 million. After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.

Just as there were no jackpot winners Wednesday, there were also no winners of the $1 million second prize, which players can win by matching all five numbers but not the Powerball.

37 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 9 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, June 6, were 19, 30, 33, 48, and 59, with Powerball number 27.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 42 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

The Powerball winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

PERDUE

OH geez........

Here we go again.........    Crazy

sully16's avatarsully16

Nice number, playing it in the 3 digit also.

zinniagirl's avatarzinniagirl

Well, I am sitting this one out.   Good luck to everyone who guys a ticket.

bytheshore

I wonder what the conspiracy theorists will say if this jackpot "conveniently" gets to a half billion+ only a couple months after MM.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Nut Nut

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$205 Million sounds good to me....White Bounce

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

nice j/p - it could work

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by bytheshore on Jun 7, 2012

I wonder what the conspiracy theorists will say if this jackpot "conveniently" gets to a half billion+ only a couple months after MM.

lol lets not even go thar

after last night's ticket

am already starting to think we might be heading that direction yet again Crazy

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jun 7, 2012

$205 Million sounds good to me....White Bounce

I Agree! in my brain, it would be plenty, after Federal and State Income Taxes (and tax deductable donations), for me and 3 of the adults that I have in my thoughts to share it evenly!  Spending the $21M each, in enjoyable ways monthly, until we each potentially live to 100 years of age (argh) either together or apart.

Lurking

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I think I've spent about $20 since powerball increased the ticket price in january.

I am tempted to stay away but about $100M after taxes is motivation enough to spend $2.

Good luck everybody. Maybe somebody can play my numbers 19,23,31,47,56 & (13) and win when I win.

I have played these numbers for more than 5 years.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jun 7, 2012

I think I've spent about $20 since powerball increased the ticket price in january.

I am tempted to stay away but about $100M after taxes is motivation enough to spend $2.

Good luck everybody. Maybe somebody can play my numbers 19,23,31,47,56 & (13) and win when I win.

I have played these numbers for more than 5 years.

I will play those numbers tomorrow, what the hell.....2 bucks.

Any particular meaning to the #'s?   What?

I like the 56 and 13, and already play those among my regular numbers.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 7, 2012

I will play those numbers tomorrow, what the hell.....2 bucks.

Any particular meaning to the #'s?   What?

I like the 56 and 13, and already play those among my regular numbers.

The numbers have no meaning at all. They are just random and meaningless. I got them when I first purchased season tickets and asked for quick pics.

mcginnin56

The numbers have no meaning at all. They are just random and meaningless. I got them when I first purchased season tickets and asked for quick pics.

Good..... I don't want anything meaningful here, just a one night stand.   Hippy

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

The money keeps getting closer to where I live!
Woo Hoo!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

I don't have a ticket, it would put me over budget,

but if i have a $3 win on my PIC6 i could get in sat.

kalikgirl's avatarkalikgirl

you poor Dear!. tht 205 million will come handy

topnail's avatartopnail

who will be the lucky one !

goodluck every one in it to take home the bigie

Quote: Originally posted by topnail on Jun 7, 2012

who will be the lucky one !

goodluck every one in it to take home the bigie

**waving arm wildly from back of room**

ME ME!!!

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Not yet for me.  When it hits 400 million, if my states Pick 6 is won by then, I'll buy a ticket.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

$205 Million?

Laydeez an' jentamins...

It's Hammer Time.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

This certainly is a big jackpot, but the MUSL hasn't held up to what it has advertised. If you look at this page, it states that the average jackpot was suppose to go up from $141M to $255M.

If you include the money collected during the switchover from $1 to $2, the average jackpot up until now has been $152M. More importantly(since it only includes the $2 game), if you exclude the money collected during the switchover, the average jackpot has been $115M. So in effect, even though you see signs and commercials advertising "Bigger Jackpots", the data clearly shows the opposite - the average jackpot is lower.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Jun 7, 2012

Not yet for me.  When it hits 400 million, if my states Pick 6 is won by then, I'll buy a ticket.

Thanks. I bought the ticket you did'nt want.

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Jun 8, 2012

This certainly is a big jackpot, but the MUSL hasn't held up to what it has advertised. If you look at this page, it states that the average jackpot was suppose to go up from $141M to $255M.

If you include the money collected during the switchover from $1 to $2, the average jackpot up until now has been $152M. More importantly(since it only includes the $2 game), if you exclude the money collected during the switchover, the average jackpot has been $115M. So in effect, even though you see signs and commercials advertising "Bigger Jackpots", the data clearly shows the opposite - the average jackpot is lower.

Not to sound like a MUSL apologist, but we've only had 5 winners since the switch (4 if you exclude the run in progress when the switch occurred), plus the current run.  Isn't it a bit unfair to be judging the results so harshly after barely 5 months?

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Lep Good Luck Lep

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jun 8, 2012

Not to sound like a MUSL apologist, but we've only had 5 winners since the switch (4 if you exclude the run in progress when the switch occurred), plus the current run.  Isn't it a bit unfair to be judging the results so harshly after barely 5 months?

Normally I would, but the number of $10M rolls has shown there is a lack of interest. If you look at that same link I posted, this is also stated:

Game Variety
Now that Mega Millions and Powerball are available (nearly) everywhere, we wanted to give players more variety. Powerball is now the premium lotto game with higher jackpots (most of the time; Mega Millions is still a big jackpot game); a $1 million second prize (second place is no longer the "first loser"); and better overall odds. Those players who focus on spending $1 for their dream still have Mega Millions. Those players who are willing to lay out an extra 20 NICKELS for their big dream, a chance at $1 million (virtually a second big game on its own) and betters odds of doubling their spend can choose Powerball.

Notice how they're boasting that it only costs an extra "20 NICKELS" to buy a ticket. Of course, if you're an upper class executive who earns 6 figures a year, it's probably easy to go around telling other people how little an extra 20 nickels is. A lot of people like buying multiple lines for a game. At the old $1 price, I would buy multiple tickets, even when the jackpot was considered "low" and if it was at the level it was now, I would spend $10 for 10 lines. Now at the $2 price, I'm simply buying a single ticket. Now, to the person who bought a single ticket before and buys a single ticket now, I can see why it wouldn't bother them very much.

mcginnin56

Just picked up those lucky numbers maringoman, thanks again for sharing!  Cheers

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jun 8, 2012

I think even when a year has passed, those players who don't like the $2 per line change will feel the same way.  Buying 20 lines instead of 10 gives the players who choose their lines a sense of more control of their destinies even when they lose which doesn't matter to players who buy quick picks.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I'll take it!
My name has to be revealed, so I will form the trust after the announcement.
Ready to move and no State or Local taxes here!

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Jun 8, 2012

Normally I would, but the number of $10M rolls has shown there is a lack of interest. If you look at that same link I posted, this is also stated:

Game Variety
Now that Mega Millions and Powerball are available (nearly) everywhere, we wanted to give players more variety. Powerball is now the premium lotto game with higher jackpots (most of the time; Mega Millions is still a big jackpot game); a $1 million second prize (second place is no longer the "first loser"); and better overall odds. Those players who focus on spending $1 for their dream still have Mega Millions. Those players who are willing to lay out an extra 20 NICKELS for their big dream, a chance at $1 million (virtually a second big game on its own) and betters odds of doubling their spend can choose Powerball.

Notice how they're boasting that it only costs an extra "20 NICKELS" to buy a ticket. Of course, if you're an upper class executive who earns 6 figures a year, it's probably easy to go around telling other people how little an extra 20 nickels is. A lot of people like buying multiple lines for a game. At the old $1 price, I would buy multiple tickets, even when the jackpot was considered "low" and if it was at the level it was now, I would spend $10 for 10 lines. Now at the $2 price, I'm simply buying a single ticket. Now, to the person who bought a single ticket before and buys a single ticket now, I can see why it wouldn't bother them very much.

The old game price I would buy 3 tickets pb (3$) and 2 mm (2$)... now with the new i actually spend less.  i only buy 1pb (2$) and 2mm (2$)... so the increase SAVED me money... less chances same odds.  and i have an extra 4 to 5$ in my pocket each month (which normally goes to the increase in GASOLINE prices)

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Greens fees at Pebble Beach: $495.00

Pebble Beach

Front row at the Knicks game: $13,335.00

Front row

2011 Cadillac CTS: $35,490.00

CTS

New 5bd/5ba home in Rumson, NJ: $1.35M

Rumson home

Winning $205M Powerball Ticket: Priceless

Powerball

"There's only a few things $2.00 can buy, for everything else there is Mastercard".  Smile

I'm keeping my tickets under my pillow. Dream on and good luck!

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 7, 2012

The money keeps getting closer to where I live!
Woo Hoo!

"Close" typically only counts in horeshoes and hand grenades.  However, you have such a consistently positive attitude that one can't help but hope the "close" includes you too one day!  Good luck!!  The very first winning FL Powerball jackpot of $189M was won close to me.  I am still hopeful and in belief lady luck will indeed knock on my door as wel!

gogidolim

I dunno. I am happy with the current $22 millions for Mega Millions. I would actually split the 80% with my parents and sisters, then I will only keep the remaining 20%.

@ golfer1960

nice pics,

but i want to know how you got a pic. of my dog to use for your avatar.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 8, 2012

@ golfer1960

nice pics,

but i want to know how you got a pic. of my dog to use for your avatar.

Hey Haymaker, Is that your dog? He/she is a cutie.

I found the picture on google search.

I love bishon frise dogs. My friend has one and I take care of him when he goes on vacation. Bishon's have such a nice personality. I want one but I'm rarely home and have the time to take care of one.

If you love Bishon's, enjoy:

Bishonbishon 1aBishon 2bishon 3

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Oregon has not had a winner in awhile so I hope that I can either hit for $40,000 or $2 million or the jackpot.  That would start my summer off on the right foot.  Good luck!-weshar75

US Flag

Dmaster555

Lol @ people who think they have some special numbers more significant than anyone else's. Just pick  some dam random numbers. Stop trying to be smart about it. Just makes you look dumb ironically.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 8, 2012

Hey Haymaker, Is that your dog? He/she is a cutie.

I found the picture on google search.

I love bishon frise dogs. My friend has one and I take care of him when he goes on vacation. Bishon's have such a nice personality. I want one but I'm rarely home and have the time to take care of one.

If you love Bishon's, enjoy:

Bishonbishon 1aBishon 2bishon 3

cute if you like dogs .......

but I rather wake up to these adorable little alien cats

aliens

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Jun 9, 2012

cute if you like dogs .......

but I rather wake up to these adorable little alien cats

aliens

Yo hearsetrax, LOL!  They are cute cats but what happened to their hair?

I'm afraid I'm starting to look like that as I get older: Hairless and wrinkled!

Speaking of cute cats:

cute cats

I can't tell if he's yawning or laughing but I love this photo!

If I win the Powerball, I'm going to the French Open next year. I love tennis and Paris.

french openparisparis hilton Opps! I like all things Paris! Wink

Piaceri

Got my tickets. White Bounce Got a little bit of all the jackpots... PB, MM, Texas Lotto. I'll do with either one.  Dance

Gonna have a few hundred acres, some horsies, some longhorns, a few doggies, and a bunch of barn kitties. And some zoom-zoom. They're gonna call me the crazy lady with all the critters. Hippy

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jun 9, 2012

Got my tickets. White Bounce Got a little bit of all the jackpots... PB, MM, Texas Lotto. I'll do with either one.  Dance

Gonna have a few hundred acres, some horsies, some longhorns, a few doggies, and a bunch of barn kitties. And some zoom-zoom. They're gonna call me the crazy lady with all the critters. Hippy

oh my giddiant!  i want to be your neighbor!  :)  Good luck!

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 7, 2012

I don't have a ticket, it would put me over budget,

but if i have a $3 win on my PIC6 i could get in sat.

OK, I'm in this game w/a $2 tip,

did,t have a $3 winner.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Since hearsetrax mentioned alien cats, here's a little something, not aliens but.....

'Kitlers', cats that look like Hitler......

http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/cgi-bin/seigmiaow.pl

Here's a couple, many more on the site above.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jun 9, 2012

Since hearsetrax mentioned alien cats, here's a little something, not aliens but.....

Could it be possible that Hitler came back reincarnated as a pussy?  Eek

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jun 9, 2012

Wow Coin! I have never seen a Kitler before. Interesting! I checked the link and saw the others. Amazing!

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 9, 2012

Could it be possible that Hitler came back reincarnated as a pussy?  Eek

Mcginnin, that is funny (maybe true).

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 9, 2012

Mcginnin, that is funny (maybe true).

Thank you golfer. If true..... God help us.  Confused

Quote: Originally posted by gogidolim on Jun 8, 2012

I dunno. I am happy with the current $22 millions for Mega Millions. I would actually split the 80% with my parents and sisters, then I will only keep the remaining 20%.

I hear ya Gogi, winning $22M and keeping 20% would be fantastic. How about winning $205M and keeping 20%? Go get a ticket before it's too late. Big Smile

Piaceri

Zoom zoom

DB9

Why buy new, when you can find a nice one lovingly broke in?

Piaceri

Zoom... er Putt putt (double entendre lol)

putt  putt

It's amazing what a $240,000,000 ($160m cash) jackpot can buy.

Roll Eyesdon't make me come down thar Ms Piaceri

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jun 10, 2012

putt  putt

More Lottery Tickets. Yes Yes Yes White BounceDon't Stop

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jun 10, 2012

putt  putt

Wow Pia, you've got great taste in cars!

I agree that a broken-in car (used) is just as good as the newer ones. The first car photo (Mercedes I think) is gorgeous and you'd look good in it (that's your photo in the Avatar right?). Wink

The Jeep looks cool and I'd love to have a golf cart that looks just like it. The Pickup is sweet and would be a great car to get around the compound in (the big house you're going to buy).

Did you ever notice when the media talks about the Kennedy's house they always use the word compound instead of estate or house?

Anyway, I like your dream cars! C'mon $240M Powerball!

Piaceri

Zoom zoom #1 is 2011 Aston Martin DB9, Golfer. Thumbs Up 

And I love the modified golf carts. The first is a Hummer, the second is a 56 pickup. Hyper

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Jun 10, 2012

Roll Eyesdon't make me come down thar Ms Piaceri

Stretch

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

The 56 Ford pickup golfcart is neat...except for those tires & wheels.They make me want to puke.

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jun 10, 2012

The 56 Ford pickup golfcart is neat...except for those tires & wheels.They make me want to puke.

I feel the same way about 56 ford F-100s .........

every one knows the 4 best years for a ford pick up was '52-3 and the 59-60

ferd4x4

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

The Sanford & Son pickup is 51-52.The 53's looked similar to to the 56's except the A-pillar was different.Ford completly rebuilt their 53 pickup for their 50th anniversary.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story