NAACP wants Texas Lottery shut down

Jun 28, 2012, 6:02 pm (106 comments)

Texas Lottery

DALLAS, Tx. — The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to stop seeing low income Texans pumping money into the state lottery by putting it out of business.

In poorer communities, though, the lottery seems to offer the chance at a life otherwise out of reach.

A study paid for by the Texas Lottery Commission says the people most likely to play Pick 3 are those making $20,000 a year or less — below the poverty line. And people who are unemployed are more likely to buy scratch-off tickets than those who have jobs or retirees, the study found.

David Anderson collects disability but still spends a few dollars a week testing his luck. "It's up to me, spend this five dollars or should I go buy a loaf of bread and hamburger to feed the kids,' he said.

But why stop something that's raking in the money? So far in 2012 Texans have spent more than $3.3 billion in lottery tickets.

"They have this delusion that they're going to win," said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace. "I want them to shut it down," she said. "Our people are spending their little money, their life savings away in hopes of winning." The group voted recently to urge state officials to do away with the lottery.

Just compare the North Dallas Lottery District to the South Dallas Lottery District, where there are a greater percentage of minorities and low income homes.

Not only are people in south Dallas more likely to play the lottery, they spend almost three times as much when they do.

Occasional player, Paul Meupe, says he knows the odds are slim. "I bet if I buy a scratch off right now, I won't win," said Paul Meupe.

He was right; he didn't.

Anderson, though, said it's more than just a ticket people are buying, it's hope.

"The hope that they're gonna hit and have nothing else to worry about," he said.

CBS

Comments

LottoBoner

"They have this delusion that they're going to win," said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace

Is that whats wrong with me??  I frequent a lottery forum full of delusional people???  Oh boy...CrazyLOL

mcginnin56

It's a very special privilege belonging to a group of nut jobs. They say nuts are very good for you, so if you can't beatim', just join em'   Group Hug

happygirl665's avatarhappygirl665

I believe what people choose to do with their money it's their business. Why cause everyone else to lose out on playing because of a few people who have chosen to spend their hard earn money on the lottery and not by bread for their families. Verses shutting down the lottery, how about teaching them to play responsibly and how to budget their funds. Everybody knows that you don't spend your rent money on the lottery.  This  makes more sense to verses shutting down the game as a whole. Nobody is putting a gun up to their heads to play or telling them to send their rent money. As long as the lottery exist, hope will continue to live on to be a millionaire.

As for the NAACP they need to find something else to whine about like; equality within the job market and stay out of the lottery business. Green laugh

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

They may have a valid beef but again you can't legislate morality.  If they didn't spend it on the lottery, they would be spending it on something else.  If I had kids though, I'm sorry the loaf of bread and hamburger meat would have to come first.

If they really wanted to help them..show them how to play and win.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Did i just read recently that some church group also wants to stop TX lottery ?

are they working together ?

they should get a life !

Oh, that is their life, interfering in other's lives.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Jun 28, 2012

They may have a valid beef but again you can't legislate morality.  If they didn't spend it on the lottery, they would be spending it on something else.  If I had kids though, I'm sorry the loaf of bread and hamburger meat would have to come first.

If they really wanted to help them..show them how to play and win.

As long as it's not the Texas Lottery showing em' how to win!    Bat

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to stop seeing low income Texans pumping money into the state lottery by putting it out of business.

This sentenced should have been halved.First of all the old cliche' about "wanting" comes to mind.."you can sh*t in one hand and want in the other and see which one you get first..."

Outside of that,if the NAACP is so concerned,why don't they address 'their' folks on the ills of gambling??????????

When will  personal responsibilty ever be comon sense?...If you have 2 bucks and you can get a needed loaf of bread or a scratchoff and you chose a scratchoff than its your peril.It's nobodys fault because you can't get a grip on your gambling.

all I can say is RP 2012

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

I imagine the NAACP will want all cigarette, cigars, and alcohol sales to cease.  And while you're at outlawing entertainment outlets some people enjoy, why not outlaw movie theaters, professional sports, and first class anything because all of those either fill kids heads with delusional dreams (pro sports career) or takes money that could be spent on food andhouseholds necessities.  And since not everyone can afford to travel in first class, don't offerout to those who can since it makes coach passengers feel like second class citizens.

Newsflash NAACP!  Sometimes the dream of winning is better than actually winning. 

Signed,

One American black man who does not support the NAACP or CBC

MR 2012 (but wishing it would have been HC 2012)

jesusplay

sore losers.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Jun 28, 2012

I imagine the NAACP will want all cigarette, cigars, and alcohol sales to cease.  And while you're at outlawing entertainment outlets some people enjoy, why not outlaw movie theaters, professional sports, and first class anything because all of those either fill kids heads with delusional dreams (pro sports career) or takes money that could be spent on food andhouseholds necessities.  And since not everyone can afford to travel in first class, don't offerout to those who can since it makes coach passengers feel like second class citizens.

Newsflash NAACP!  Sometimes the dream of winning is better than actually winning. 

Signed,

Excellent points OldSchoolPa!!!  Thumbs Up

LottoBoner

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 28, 2012

As long as it's not the Texas Lottery showing em' how to win!    Bat

Yes the NAACP should organize a group of computer whizzes ( we have quite a few right here) who give tips to poor people on what to play and when...

(all those super computers going to waste chasing clouds...*sigh*)

besides...if they spend money on scratchoffs instead of food then its their problem...let them kill a squirrel or something to feed the family...

but if these people are really in danger of starving to death...than we really need to get pumpi working on how to make an edible scratch ticket!!!LOL

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBoner on Jun 28, 2012

Yes the NAACP should organize a group of computer whizzes ( we have quite a few right here) who give tips to poor people on what to play and when...

(all those super computers going to waste chasing clouds...*sigh*)

besides...if they spend money on scratchoffs instead of food then its their problem...let them kill a squirrel or something to feed the family...

but if these people are really in danger of starving to death...than we really need to get pumpi working on how to make an edible scratch ticket!!!LOL

You were reading my mind Boner, and beat me to the punch!!!    Boxing

If they could target just the low income areas, the NAACP could provide a healthy, nutritious and tasty recipe to the Texas Lottery for all the

losing scratch tickets. (Which is basically all of them right? Green laugh).  What a win-win solution.   Cheers     Might even catch on for all the regular Fat-Cat

players as well.  Banana

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Jun 28, 2012

Signed,

They will eventually get the government involved...

Good points Oldschool

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Nothing more Racist or irrelevant than the NAACP!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC

What's this world comming to?  At least with the lottery you might feel like your are getting kissed

before your screwed.  I think we should close down all the schools too, this way we won't have to

lie to the kids about how education will make them fit for life.  Just think how much money we could

save if we did not have an education system.   I am being sarcastic here but anytime I see a group

of a-holes trying to decide what is good for the rest of us without our consent, well it kind of moves 

me to load all my guns.   

RL

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by RL-RANDOMLOGIC on Jun 28, 2012

What's this world comming to?  At least with the lottery you might feel like your are getting kissed

before your screwed.  I think we should close down all the schools too, this way we won't have to

lie to the kids about how education will make them fit for life.  Just think how much money we could

save if we did not have an education system.   I am being sarcastic here but anytime I see a group

of a-holes trying to decide what is good for the rest of us without our consent, well it kind of moves 

me to load all my guns.   

RL

I Agree!

There's always a$$holes trying to tell everyone else what's good for them instead of just minding their own business.

faber98

what they really need to do is shut down the churches. how many people waste how much money going into those places to support some fairy tale belief.

LottoBoner

It's a very special privilege belonging to a group of nut jobs. They say nuts are very good for you, so if you can't beatim', just join em'   Group Hug

Yes..thats true...the Lottery Post VIP's...its more in the line of genius nut jobsConehead...as opposed to wacko nutjobs...

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 28, 2012

Did i just read recently that some church group also wants to stop TX lottery ?

are they working together ?

they should get a life !

Oh, that is their life, interfering in other's lives.

Some of those churches need to sit their behinds down somewhere!!

Dang hypocrites!! Same church don't want the lottery have bake sales and

church raffles, pass the collection plate three or four times during the sermon

and demand you tithe (10%) from your income!! Forget that!! You'll end up giving

more to the church than the lottery!! 

Nothing wrong with giving to your church but some of the things some churches pull

to get money out of it's members is ridiculous!! Pastor appreciation dayWhat?  come on!!!

really? Get out of my face with that mess!!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by Nikkicute on Jun 28, 2012

Some of those churches need to sit their behinds down somewhere!!

Dang hypocrites!! Same church don't want the lottery have bake sales and

church raffles, pass the collection plate three or four times during the sermon

and demand you tithe (10%) from your income!! Forget that!! You'll end up giving

more to the church than the lottery!! 

Nothing wrong with giving to your church but some of the things some churches pull

to get money out of it's members is ridiculous!! Pastor appreciation dayWhat?  come on!!!

really? Get out of my face with that mess!!

Well said, Cute Nikki!  Thumbs Up

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 28, 2012

Well said, Cute Nikki!  Thumbs Up

Thanks!! It's sad but true!

These days Church is business and they don't want any competition!

"They have this delusion that they're going to win," said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace.

I agree, I'm delusional.

I play MM and PB every week because it gives me hope. I actually think I'm going to win the Jackpot someday and when I don't win I get upset.

I would get more upset if the NAACP took that option away from me.

"Texas, please don't pass that law!!"

Pingu

TX will not stop the Lottery.  However, it can probably be banned from certain towns that choose not to participate...that is if the majority wins.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Just some dopes wantin' publicity.

They'll feel better now that they got their names in the news.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Pingu on Jun 28, 2012

TX will not stop the Lottery.  However, it can probably be banned from certain towns that choose not to participate...that is if the majority wins.

I got a plan for those certain towns that choose not to participate.

And here it is: Don't participate!

There, wasn't that easy?

No ban needed.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 28, 2012

"They have this delusion that they're going to win," said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace.

I agree, I'm delusional.

I play MM and PB every week because it gives me hope. I actually think I'm going to win the Jackpot someday and when I don't win I get upset.

I would get more upset if the NAACP took that option away from me.

"Texas, please don't pass that law!!"

Just a few days ago asbury park was talking about their old and uninforced law against swimsuits being worn on the boardwalk,

really ? this is insanity,

I said to some in work, Jersey never met a tax, a rule or a law it did'nt like,

maybe  I'm wrong, finally,

this will never fly in jersey,

and unless I'am as bad on this as I'am at winning lotto, It won't fly in TX. either.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 28, 2012

Just a few days ago asbury park was talking about their old and uninforced law against swimsuits being worn on the boardwalk,

really ? this is insanity,

I said to some in work, Jersey never met a tax, a rule or a law it did'nt like,

maybe  I'm wrong, finally,

this will never fly in jersey,

and unless I'am as bad on this as I'am at winning lotto, It won't fly in TX. either.

Haymaker, I hope you're right on not making the NJ Lottery illegal and especially the bathing suit law in Asbury Park! That would be wrong!  Big Grin

asbury park

Church is big business.  In Africa as well as America, some of the richest folk are pastors. They have no problem with people giving any amount of money to them, but blast any use of your money that falls outside of "acceptable" household purposes. Well, the way I see it, even in the Bible, they drew lots (which is a form of lottery) when the parceling out of land, and churches are indeed businesses and a racket in some cases (particularly those espousing prosperity gospel). When it comes to business, I choose those I want to patronize and those I want to avoid...so I choose to give my tithes and offerings to the lottery commission by buying MM, PB, and lotto tickets.  At least I have a chance for a return on my giving. 

Multi-millionaire pastors...broke congregation members...I think I'll take a chance with the lottery.

majestic1070's avatarmajestic1070

I think people need to be educated that this game is not for gambling but should be played for fun. The odds are so against you even on play 3 and play 4 because you may spend $1 a day but If you are playing everyday that $1 now adds up to $30 a month $5 a day would be $150 a month

time*treat's avatartime*treat

The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to stop seeing low income Texans pumping money into the state lottery by putting it out of business.

Notice you don't read "The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to help Texans stop being low income by ... (doing something useful)". They want to end a business, but have no plans to replace it with something better.

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Jun 29, 2012

Church is big business.  In Africa as well as America, some of the richest folk are pastors. They have no problem with people giving any amount of money to them, but blast any use of your money that falls outside of "acceptable" household purposes. Well, the way I see it, even in the Bible, they drew lots (which is a form of lottery) when the parceling out of land, and churches are indeed businesses and a racket in some cases (particularly those espousing prosperity gospel). When it comes to business, I choose those I want to patronize and those I want to avoid...so I choose to give my tithes and offerings to the lottery commission by buying MM, PB, and lotto tickets.  At least I have a chance for a return on my giving. 

Multi-millionaire pastors...broke congregation members...I think I'll take a chance with the lottery.

It takes money to run a church..where else will the church get money to run if people dont tithe and pay offerings..I am glad to see pastors and ministers have nice homes and cars..I go to a small church now my pastors arent as rich as most they live in a nice suburban neighborhood and he has a lincoln town car that he purchased when a retired...my pastor didnt have the luxury of not working he worked and retired after 35 years..I pay my tithe and give a liberal offering and sometimes I give a sacrificial offering...

Do u get mad at people that go to concerts and purchase secular music from artists like JZ rhianna beyounce lil wayne, etc..the majority of poor people are supporting them and that..Im sure u have seen mtv cribs or heard of it..do u get angry because those people(rappers, musicians, thugs and thug wannabes, gang members) have 40000 square feet manisons and 8 cars or more..u support them im certain you do...

i cant wait to win big because I want my Pastors who arent leading me astray to have the nicest things..rappers and r&b artists lead people to sexual immorality drugs drug sale and people go broke trying to uphold an image they see in videos that they produce..not every pastor is questionable..but all of us will have our day of judgement..so I do what im suppose to do and leave the judging to God...if my Pastor wasnt living right and he 15cars and a mansion..I would still pay my tithe and give an offering..because Im doing what I suppose to do and want to do..I dont allow actions of others to dictate my integrity....

you are black man that dont support the NAACP..thats fine but its a slap in the face to civil rights leaders that fought to get your black self out from under Jim Crow laws....u are one of the black folks that go to KKK meetings too huh...but im sure you keep the white robe on during the pow wows...since u apologetic for being black why dont u move under the Jim crow laws.just to show your ungratefulness to all civil rights leaders...enter in the back door of places, look down when u look into the faces of white men and women, be called a boy, beaten and spat, and hosed down by powerful water hoses as if you are a burning building...I dont argree with some of the things the NAACP does however I appreciate the greater cause...

Were you able to get a highschool education and or a college degree..if so it was due to civil rights leaders and the Naacp that fought for that..the knowledge I even learned about african american history was in college..its amazing how the public school system watered down black history as if Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson just to name a few had any type of impact on the black community..I could go on and on..but Rome wasnt built in a hour..

now the NAACP want to shut down the texas lottery..I say foolery...they will have better luck petting an gator without losing a limb...they should go in their service areas and teach some finance classes to the people that are spending their grocery money on lottery tickets..well money making wishes to all..Peace

SOLO1

Quote: Originally posted by majestic1070 on Jun 29, 2012

I think people need to be educated that this game is not for gambling but should be played for fun. The odds are so against you even on play 3 and play 4 because you may spend $1 a day but If you are playing everyday that $1 now adds up to $30 a month $5 a day would be $150 a month

Disagree they are educated (we are) from government schools. It is mandatory isn’t it

Well this is it…….

150.00 a month… hum almost a car payment

This is a way for government to collect taxes from the stupid otherwise this people won’t be paying a cent$ of taxes just collecting from welfare…..get it

I think these idiots NAAClowns should come up with something better.

Something like this…

Every $ 1.00 spent on lottery or (tax for the stp) .50 cents should go into your retirement account that way everybody wins and if you didn’t save money for retirement there it is 50grand in your account what’s wrong with that picture!!

I know 50 grand Green laughto nothing Yes Nod

Welcome to Lottery post Majestic1070

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 28, 2012

I Agree!

"The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to stop seeing low income Texans pumping money into the state lottery alcoholic beverages by putting it Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and the beer companies out of business."

Any group could insert "tobacco products", "cell phones", or any other product they believe low income people are spending money on and get their five minutes of fame too. To be fair, what if a group of middle income people want to stop the government from subsidizing low income families?

mcginnin56

I think even the great THRIFTY, would agree that $1 a day is hardly a serious gambling problem.   Disapprove

These low income Texans had to be spending at least hundreds a month, for this issue to appear on NAACP's radar. It sounds like the scratch

tickets, were the primary culprit for leading to their financial ruin.

Why can't the Texas Lottery simply explain that all scratch tickets are losers......problem solved!    Dunk

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBgood07 on Jun 28, 2012

This sentenced should have been halved.First of all the old cliche' about "wanting" comes to mind.."you can sh*t in one hand and want in the other and see which one you get first..."

Outside of that,if the NAACP is so concerned,why don't they address 'their' folks on the ills of gambling??????????

When will  personal responsibilty ever be comon sense?...If you have 2 bucks and you can get a needed loaf of bread or a scratchoff and you chose a scratchoff than its your peril.It's nobodys fault because you can't get a grip on your gambling.

all I can say is RP 2012

wow their folks...are u a KKK representative??? or you just dont like their folks??? Did you underline their because you wanted to use the so called N word...imagine that...their folks...who are they??? u know their folks???

I know that some are like leave jonnybgood07 alone he gives us good numbers and pairs..I just want to know the definition of their folks and who they are???

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jun 28, 2012

what they really need to do is shut down the churches. how many people waste how much money going into those places to support some fairy tale belief.

You live in a State that believes the left wing fairy tales and lies about Socialism!

The Constitution protects us from religious persecution by thugs like you!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Pretty simple, the Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants something else to blame the problem gambling on other than the problem gamblers.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Jun 29, 2012

It takes money to run a church..where else will the church get money to run if people dont tithe and pay offerings..I am glad to see pastors and ministers have nice homes and cars..I go to a small church now my pastors arent as rich as most they live in a nice suburban neighborhood and he has a lincoln town car that he purchased when a retired...my pastor didnt have the luxury of not working he worked and retired after 35 years..I pay my tithe and give a liberal offering and sometimes I give a sacrificial offering...

Do u get mad at people that go to concerts and purchase secular music from artists like JZ rhianna beyounce lil wayne, etc..the majority of poor people are supporting them and that..Im sure u have seen mtv cribs or heard of it..do u get angry because those people(rappers, musicians, thugs and thug wannabes, gang members) have 40000 square feet manisons and 8 cars or more..u support them im certain you do...

i cant wait to win big because I want my Pastors who arent leading me astray to have the nicest things..rappers and r&b artists lead people to sexual immorality drugs drug sale and people go broke trying to uphold an image they see in videos that they produce..not every pastor is questionable..but all of us will have our day of judgement..so I do what im suppose to do and leave the judging to God...if my Pastor wasnt living right and he 15cars and a mansion..I would still pay my tithe and give an offering..because Im doing what I suppose to do and want to do..I dont allow actions of others to dictate my integrity....

you are black man that dont support the NAACP..thats fine but its a slap in the face to civil rights leaders that fought to get your black self out from under Jim Crow laws....u are one of the black folks that go to KKK meetings too huh...but im sure you keep the white robe on during the pow wows...since u apologetic for being black why dont u move under the Jim crow laws.just to show your ungratefulness to all civil rights leaders...enter in the back door of places, look down when u look into the faces of white men and women, be called a boy, beaten and spat, and hosed down by powerful water hoses as if you are a burning building...I dont argree with some of the things the NAACP does however I appreciate the greater cause...

Were you able to get a highschool education and or a college degree..if so it was due to civil rights leaders and the Naacp that fought for that..the knowledge I even learned about african american history was in college..its amazing how the public school system watered down black history as if Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson just to name a few had any type of impact on the black community..I could go on and on..but Rome wasnt built in a hour..

now the NAACP want to shut down the texas lottery..I say foolery...they will have better luck petting an gator without losing a limb...they should go in their service areas and teach some finance classes to the people that are spending their grocery money on lottery tickets..well money making wishes to all..Peace

"Were you able to get a highschool education and or a college degree..if so it was due to civil rights leaders and the Naacp that fought for that"

Last night I watched at least 30 young men become instant millionaires and probably only a handful had a college degree and the top three only had one year of college. Probably some of them were from low income families and they found a way out. Since only one in at least a thousand has a chance to become a millionaire, the NAACP should call for ban on the NBA because thousands of low income kids are "wasting" their time trying to develop their basketball skills.

Playing the lottery or any other form of gambling is never the way out for the majority but calling for a ban on the lottery won't solve the problems either. It probably never occurred to the NAACP that playing the lottery may offer hope in for a short time for some of those with low incomes and it's not like they are creating good paying jobs to help solve the real problem.

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBoner on Jun 28, 2012

"They have this delusion that they're going to win," said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace

Is that whats wrong with me??  I frequent a lottery forum full of delusional people???  Oh boy...CrazyLOL

Now that is toooo funny LottoBoner.  I guess I, too, am apart of the delusional people club! I Agree!

I, too, am apart of this club as well.. The NUT JOB CLUB! Haha..ROFLGreen laugh

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 29, 2012

You live in a State that believes the left wing fairy tales and lies about Socialism!

The Constitution protects us from religious persecution by thugs like you!

what left wing fairy tales and lies about socialism are those? should i move because some "state" believes in something you don't. you are "free" to keep tithing all you want to stay out of that bad place that has a lot of fire. you probably actually believe there is such a place.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jun 29, 2012

what left wing fairy tales and lies about socialism are those? should i move because some "state" believes in something you don't. you are "free" to keep tithing all you want to stay out of that bad place that has a lot of fire. you probably actually believe there is such a place.

You are free to move to the European Socialist Utopia!

Everything that the Democratic Party stands for is a myth and fairy tale!

faber98

You are free to move to the European Socialist Utopia!

Everything that the Democratic Party stands for is a myth and fairy tale!

exactly what myths are fairy tales are those. it seems you are in the minority since the dems are running the show these days. i could care less. i'm only interested in making a semi-moderate lottery score so i can expand my gambling horizons to another level. i don't know what your are fuming about. maybe you should start your own political party to defeat the dems if you don't like them.

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jun 29, 2012

"Were you able to get a highschool education and or a college degree..if so it was due to civil rights leaders and the Naacp that fought for that"

Last night I watched at least 30 young men become instant millionaires and probably only a handful had a college degree and the top three only had one year of college. Probably some of them were from low income families and they found a way out. Since only one in at least a thousand has a chance to become a millionaire, the NAACP should call for ban on the NBA because thousands of low income kids are "wasting" their time trying to develop their basketball skills.

Playing the lottery or any other form of gambling is never the way out for the majority but calling for a ban on the lottery won't solve the problems either. It probably never occurred to the NAACP that playing the lottery may offer hope in for a short time for some of those with low incomes and it's not like they are creating good paying jobs to help solve the real problem.

I understand..the point I was making is that if there werent for civil rights leaders, NAACP, and other civil rights activist..the colored people would NOT  be able to be apart of anything ie nba nfl mlb, they would be still picking cotton in the fields(there are still cotton fields in the south)...and slaves..etc etc...again I dont agree with this current move the NAACP is making regarding the Texas lottery...and though Im a vegan..I will say they have bigger fish to fry..well bigger potatoes to skin..dont want peta to revoke my membership...lol...Peace:)

ko57

I agree-count me into this group, I love reading the stories about lotto winners and hopefully mine will be part of the news here one day Party

Dr. Juanita should talk to people who have won the lottery.  They were just regular lottery players like us, some perhaps using their own system adding to the fun, some playing  quick piks or a combination of both-and it was their time to win.  Why take away their hope?  I like the suspense of waiting to check my tickets-something to look forward to and its fun especially if you get any kind of win :D and its just something to hope for.

The guy who mentioned buying lottery or bread and meat for his family I'm sure would get food for his family anyway.   

Does she tell them not to buy cigarettes, alchohol and drugs with their low incomes?  Does she tell them not to throw their money away at bars, clubs or casinos, not to go to county fairs, parks or restaurants and eat out,  don't pay for cable but instead save that money to help get food for their families?  I would say  -no she doesn't- . 

Many lottery winners have hit jackpots with ONE TICKET.

I agree-stress that they play what they can afford, but don't take their dream away.  I think God has a bit to do with our luck, many times I had thought a quick prayer right before checking tickets-and won- so Dr. Juanita-have some faith.  I bet she has bought tickets.  If not, maybe she should-have some fun.

Texas is getting a good amount of revenue from Lotto sales, I don't see Lottery going away too soon.  Whats next, do away with horseracing and casinos?

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

wait... they want TEXAS to do this... TEXAS... oh yeah... that's gonna happen (NEVER!)

jama

Oldschoolpa, you are a self loathing Uncle Ruckus! (google Uncle Ruckus) Thank God that the NAACP fought for your right to be stupid! Just because you are with white women does  not make you white. If I date white men, I am still black! I guess hanging around the likes of JONNYBGOOD07 makes you feel like more of a person!!!

RedStang's avatarRedStang

They will have to change their name then, because "Advancement", is why we play.

gogidolim

exactly what myths are fairy tales are those. it seems you are in the minority since the dems are running the show these days. i could care less. i'm only interested in making a semi-moderate lottery score so i can expand my gambling horizons to another level. i don't know what your are fuming about. maybe you should start your own political party to defeat the dems if you don't like them.

You are fairly new to this forums. Don't try to argue with anyone. It's useless. The demographic is pretty much accurate about lottery winners and non-religious folks like us are less likely to hang onto lottery.

GetReal720

Part of me feels like you should not be allowed to gamble if you are on assistance of any kind. If you have money for the lottery then you have money for your rent or food. That is just how I feel. Millions of people work their hands to bone and live just about the same (or worse) then those who get welfare and other such types of assistance. It's hard to swallow walking into a sheetz and watching someone get slim jims, beef jerky, chips, and a slushy with an access card when I just spend the last eight hours performing manual labor in 90 degree heat.

If I get hurt off the job then I have to pay out of my own pocket, because I can't afford health care. I see them at the doctors just hand the access card over.

But in THIS case, you don't punish the lottery because of what some people do. The lottery does some great things with some of the proceeds (in my state anyways) and this is a very poor outlook on the problem. Don't shut down the lottery, shut down the poor habits of the people squandering away their money.

People win big in the lottery almost every day, it happens. It's a gamble, no different then going down to vegas with your life savings and shooting craps at the high roller tables. Some hit it big, some lose everything and some hang in the balance. Are we going to shut down vegas next?

I play a few tickets here and there and buy a few quick picks for the bigger jackpot games every now and then. I only play what I can afford and figure it's worth the few dollars for a chance to hit the jackpot. I know I'll most likely not hit the jackpot, but I know people hit them and that it "could" be me.

Bottom line is that people need to be responsible for themselves, we are talking about "adults" here.

Stack47

I understand..the point I was making is that if there werent for civil rights leaders, NAACP, and other civil rights activist..the colored people would NOT  be able to be apart of anything ie nba nfl mlb, they would be still picking cotton in the fields(there are still cotton fields in the south)...and slaves..etc etc...again I dont agree with this current move the NAACP is making regarding the Texas lottery...and though Im a vegan..I will say they have bigger fish to fry..well bigger potatoes to skin..dont want peta to revoke my membership...lol...Peace:)

"if there werent for civil rights leaders, NAACP, and other civil rights activist..the colored people would NOT  be able to be apart of anything ie nba nfl mlb,"

Jackie Robinson was only one of the best players in the Negro leagues, but certainly not the very best when he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. And Branch Rickey wasn't the only owner that knew they could better their teams by using the best Black players. The timing was perfect because the baseball talent was depleted because of WWII. Richey signed Robinson less than a month after the war ended and did it as a business move and not because of any pressure by any civil rights group. Robinson became a civil rights hero after what he went through playing for the Dodgers.

The color barrier was already broken years before by the leagues that merged into what came to be known as the NBA in 1949. The majority of NBA talent came from the colleges and a few from the industrial leagues who probably took a cut in pay to join. If there was any pressure placed by civil rights groups, it was placed on the colleges to enroll more Blacks. But does it really make any sense for them to pressure the colleges into to educating Blacks just so there can be more Blacks in the NBA?

Several Blacks played professional football before the NFL was established in 1933 and two of Robinson's UCLA Black teammates played for the LA Rams in 1946 a year before Robinson played for the Doders. In the 40s and 50s, professional sports basically mirrored the racial polices of the day and when you think about it, higher wages and better jobs, not being served at a lunch counter, forced to ride in the back of the bus, and only drinking from designated fountains were much more of a priority than how many blacks played professional sports.

"again I dont agree with this current move the NAACP is making regarding the Texas lottery"

It's pretty obvious which low income people the Dallas chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People are talking about. They didn't have any facts or figures that even suggest Texas is racially discriminating by having a lottery. Dr. Juanita Wallace doesn't represent all the NAACP chapters in Texas or nationally so we can just say she has way too much time on her hands.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I didn't know why Texas Lottery will shut down.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by gogidolim on Jun 29, 2012

You are fairly new to this forums. Don't try to argue with anyone. It's useless. The demographic is pretty much accurate about lottery winners and non-religious folks like us are less likely to hang onto lottery.

i just like to beat up on that dpoly1 pennsylvania do gooder with his misguided politcal agenda.

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Jun 29, 2012

I didn't know why Texas Lottery will shut down.

Don't worry, not going to happen.

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

wow their folks...are u a KKK representative??? or you just dont like their folks??? Did you underline their because you wanted to use the so called N word...imagine that...their folks...who are they??? u know their folks???

I know that some are like leave jonnybgood07 alone he gives us good numbers and pairs..I just want to know the definition of their folks and who they are???

here we goUnhappy..,

yes "their"....last I knew NAACP works for people of color?...african american, latino, asian etc..

Please don't even try to darn me in a white robe.My issue is this, it pisses me off to no end when people or organizations try to take rights away from the masses because a few in this world don't even give a f*ck and insist all their problems are from something/someone else and not themselves.

Don't even be trying to judge me miracleplay5...you know nothing about me and if I half gave a dam about what ethnicity someone was,I sure as hell wouldn't be giving out numbers to folks.

It wouldn't matter if davey duke was trying to stop the lottery.It would piss me off just as equally.

I apologise to any my original comment may have offended as it wasn't intended to do so.Cheers

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

I knew those wing nuts, Sharpton and Jackson were up to no good when they were in Dallas last month.

I think they're trying to recoup the monies lost from the Tawania Brawley case , Ions ago.No Pity!Crazy

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBgood07 on Jun 29, 2012

here we goUnhappy..,

yes "their"....last I knew NAACP works for people of color?...african american, latino, asian etc..

Please don't even try to darn me in a white robe.My issue is this, it pisses me off to no end when people or organizations try to take rights away from the masses because a few in this world don't even give a f*ck and insist all their problems are from something/someone else and not themselves.

Don't even be trying to judge me miracleplay5...you know nothing about me and if I half gave a dam about what ethnicity someone was,I sure as hell wouldn't be giving out numbers to folks.

It wouldn't matter if davey duke was trying to stop the lottery.It would piss me off just as equally.

I apologise to any my original comment may have offended as it wasn't intended to do so.Cheers

Nobody should be offended, you're just telling it like it is, period....!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Amen.  Am I disheartened by all the obviously limited income people (many elderly) I see playing the lottery in DC? Yes. But lotteries are legal (if the state ratifies it) and for some of these people (and I am not referring to color but people with poor judgement), a lack of good sense is a lack of good sense.  Take away the lottery, then they go underground and play with bookies, or pick up another "addiction." 

We might as well ban food also since there are so many obese people out there. I have a neighbor (don't we all now) that is morbidly obese and I am sure she spends more on food in one week (I see the delivery truck bring in about 16 plus bags of food...I counted) that I do in a month. And she wonders why she is one of the few renters and cannot afford to buy in my neighborhood? Give me a break. Money management.  Common sense.

On an unrelated matter, does anyone else think Eric Holder looks like a suntanned Larry Tate fron the old Bewitched Tv show...lol

Why is it that liberals always want to pull the race card?!  First of all, I do believe in God, but I don't like the way most churches are led today (some of those preachers are false prophets).  Secondly, I am very knowledgeable about many aspects of American and World history.  WRT American history, I would ALWAYS go above and beyond class assignment requirements and check out and read the biographies of the historical figures, whether they were white, Native American, or black.  I excelled at my studies and graduated valedictorian of my class.  I also attended a very prestigious private university in Illinois, courtesy of a highly competitive NROTC scholarship.  I have a strong sense of my Afro-Caribbean/Native American background, and I do not believe I have to pull others down so I can feel or be better.  I am well aware of all the people who played a role in shaping history.  Yes, I am pro black, but only after my allegiance to my God and country.

This is still a free country where all people are entitled to their opinion.  My opinion about churches has been shaped by my experiences therein.  The same goes WRT my observations that the NAACP is an organization that has outlived its purpose.  But that is the dilemma most organizations face...trying to survive and stay relevant when reason organization formed is no longer germane.  So now the NAACP has to manufacture reasons to stay out in front. 

My mother belonged to a NAACP chapter, but I never got onboard, especially after all the bumbling mistakes Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton made in the late '80s and continue to do so with their race baiting.

Lastly, I have nothing against wealthy people as I am a born capitalist at heart. I don't begrudge success like some in Dem party. I grew up in church where the pastors worked jobs to provide for family. What I see now are a lot of pastors preaching feel good prosperity gospel, with only them and their trusted circle prospering.  Yes, churches need money to operate. But I see more waste and poor stewardship...pastors using "love" offerings to buy luxury cars whencome congregation members are barely scrapping by...American churches pleading with all in attendance to help fund mission trips to Africa when the Africans ALREADY have JESUS in their lives and dailyexistence. Can you say, "Boondoggle!?". 

Any ran together words are due to iPad spell program removing space I had originally placed between words.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

i just like to beat up on that dpoly1 pennsylvania do gooder with his misguided politcal agenda.

Given the fact that I am disabled, I will stand my ground against your threats of violence!

I am not misguided, I am not stupid enough to fall for the Democratic Extremist myths and fairy tales!

So typical of you to threaten those that disagree with you!

US Flag I am a true Patriot, not a Fascist thug like you.

Quote: Originally posted by jama on Jun 29, 2012

Oldschoolpa, you are a self loathing Uncle Ruckus! (google Uncle Ruckus) Thank God that the NAACP fought for your right to be stupid! Just because you are with white women does  not make you white. If I date white men, I am still black! I guess hanging around the likes of JONNYBGOOD07 makes you feel like more of a person!!!

Jama, you are lucky I am an officer and a gentleman...a highly educated one to be exact.  It never ceases toamaze me how liberal people feel they must resort to name calling to make themselves feel better or just to express the feeble thoughts rattling around in their empty brains.  I don't have time to waste on non sense so read my previous post to another feeble-minded liberal.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jun 29, 2012

Amen.  Am I disheartened by all the obviously limited income people (many elderly) I see playing the lottery in DC? Yes. But lotteries are legal (if the state ratifies it) and for some of these people (and I am not referring to color but people with poor judgement), a lack of good sense is a lack of good sense.  Take away the lottery, then they go underground and play with bookies, or pick up another "addiction." 

We might as well ban food also since there are so many obese people out there. I have a neighbor (don't we all now) that is morbidly obese and I am sure she spends more on food in one week (I see the delivery truck bring in about 16 plus bags of food...I counted) that I do in a month. And she wonders why she is one of the few renters and cannot afford to buy in my neighborhood? Give me a break. Money management.  Common sense.

On an unrelated matter, does anyone else think Eric Holder looks like a suntanned Larry Tate fron the old Bewitched Tv show...lol

He does Artist! Although if you could die his hair and mustache a few shades lighter (white), you'd almost have a dead ringer.  I Agree!

majestic1070's avatarmajestic1070

This is the same organization who gives image awards to rap stars who, by their violent and misogynistic lyrics, have set the Black community back 100 years. This is the same organization who gave Kid Rock an image award. Mind you, Kid Rock proudly displays his confederate flag where ever he goes. This is the same organization that was quick to throw Mrs. Sherrod under the bus before any facts were known. Personally, I wouldn't follow the NAACP out of a burning building, but that's just me.

Further, there is a better chance of the sun not rising tomorrow than for black folk to stop playing the lottery in any significant number. The NAACP knows this. If Black folk do call for this boycott, they better be ALL in, if not, it will be the biggest mistake in 25 years. Why? It will illustrate that black folk can't/won't stick together for anything thus minimizing the threat of future potential boycotts.

Good luck. With the NAACP involved, you'll need it!

mcginnin56

This is the same organization who gives image awards to rap stars who, by their violent and misogynistic lyrics, have set the Black community back 100 years. This is the same organization who gave Kid Rock an image award. Mind you, Kid Rock proudly displays his confederate flag where ever he goes. This is the same organization that was quick to throw Mrs. Sherrod under the bus before any facts were known. Personally, I wouldn't follow the NAACP out of a burning building, but that's just me.

Further, there is a better chance of the sun not rising tomorrow than for black folk to stop playing the lottery in any significant number. The NAACP knows this. If Black folk do call for this boycott, they better be ALL in, if not, it will be the biggest mistake in 25 years. Why? It will illustrate that black folk can't/won't stick together for anything thus minimizing the threat of future potential boycotts.

I Agree!   Great points majestic1070!

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 29, 2012

He does Artist! Although if you could die his hair and mustache a few shades lighter (white), you'd almost have a dead ringer.  I Agree!

He is the son Larry Tate would have had...lol

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Cheers Can't we all just get along?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jun 29, 2012

Cheers Can't we all just get along?

Kumbaya my lord.........Group Hug.........Kumbaya.   Blue Angel

Let us pray for world peace, the end to hunger, and wisdom for the low income people of Texas, to use Steve Players Pyramid System.    Banana   Hyper

jama

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Jun 29, 2012

Jama, you are lucky I am an officer and a gentleman...a highly educated one to be exact.  It never ceases toamaze me how liberal people feel they must resort to name calling to make themselves feel better or just to express the feeble thoughts rattling around in their empty brains.  I don't have time to waste on non sense so read my previous post to another feeble-minded liberal.

You are shameful and disgraceful. I guess this is why you preferred for Herman Cain of all people to be President of the United States, what a disgrace! Herman Cain, a sleaze ball who treats women like crap. Love your self, It's who you are!

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by GetReal720 on Jun 29, 2012

Part of me feels like you should not be allowed to gamble if you are on assistance of any kind. If you have money for the lottery then you have money for your rent or food. That is just how I feel. Millions of people work their hands to bone and live just about the same (or worse) then those who get welfare and other such types of assistance. It's hard to swallow walking into a sheetz and watching someone get slim jims, beef jerky, chips, and a slushy with an access card when I just spend the last eight hours performing manual labor in 90 degree heat.

If I get hurt off the job then I have to pay out of my own pocket, because I can't afford health care. I see them at the doctors just hand the access card over.

But in THIS case, you don't punish the lottery because of what some people do. The lottery does some great things with some of the proceeds (in my state anyways) and this is a very poor outlook on the problem. Don't shut down the lottery, shut down the poor habits of the people squandering away their money.

People win big in the lottery almost every day, it happens. It's a gamble, no different then going down to vegas with your life savings and shooting craps at the high roller tables. Some hit it big, some lose everything and some hang in the balance. Are we going to shut down vegas next?

I play a few tickets here and there and buy a few quick picks for the bigger jackpot games every now and then. I only play what I can afford and figure it's worth the few dollars for a chance to hit the jackpot. I know I'll most likely not hit the jackpot, but I know people hit them and that it "could" be me.

Bottom line is that people need to be responsible for themselves, we are talking about "adults" here.

I Agree!  I see the same thing here.  There are so many people now who do not want to work ... period...

Why should they?  They can draw a check, get food stamps, and health care and not have to roll out of bed until noon and spend their day watching tv...and taking a nap.

We have them come to the lot and ask for a car with nothing down and want to know why they cannot have one of the nicer cars on the lot.  They need air, keyless entry, and call when they run out of gas..

Why do I give a sh*t to whether they play the lottery or not? I pay taxes and I have to roll out of bed everyday to make sure those taxes are paid so they can have those checks delivered and those food stamps.

Oh I am just getting on my soap box here.  However, I don't feel that those who work should have to give up their lottery in Texas because some people have no CLASS!

Blondietexas

Are you kidding me? NAACP wants to shut the Texas lottery down? Who the hell do y'all think you are? Why don't you just ban alcohol because the same <snip> people buying lottery tickets are also buying a forty ounce at the same <snip> time. And furthermore, it is not our fault (the people who are actually responsible) that these people can't do the right thing to save their lives! Hey Juanita get a life!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You are shameful and disgraceful. I guess this is why you preferred for Herman Cain of all people to be President of the United States, what a disgrace! Herman Cain, a sleaze ball who treats women like crap. Love your self, It's who you are!

Herman Cain made something out of himself and so did OldSchoolPa.

While you're most likely sitting home on your fat azz watching Jerry Springer and Maury re-runs all day.

Quit whining, get up off your lazy, fat azz and go get a job.

Lucky Loser

I see this as a cluster of problems on many levels...and compounded. First, lottery games are designed to generate income, and thus, more people must lose than win. Also, this must happen frequently which is partly where odds are derived from. Losses are pre-determined and calculated for the most part. Some players understand this, but most people don't and they gamble with their food or bill money in hopes of getting lucky and becoming free of a present living condition or style. 

I do agree that people should be more efficient with their funds, and, especially if they're very poor. But, people often live on extreme hopes of winning a lottery some day and they spend monies on it which they shouldn't. It's not the lotteries' faults that people either can't or don't manage their monies because people mismanage funds in all areas of their lives...not just on lottery games. However, I do fault the lotteries for not doing a better job of making sure that average people fully understand the games' intentions and what the odds really mean when it comes to playing.

They lotteries do market purely on people's hopes and dreams of becoming free of debt and living care free. The problem is that the odds don't accommodate such a chance for more people to realize such a dream. I see where they could afford to have more frequent winners and still generate tons of money and make lots of profit, but this is too much like fair. In the end, though, if more people won then more people would play and higher volume sales would be realized. Maybe even record sales. Gotta give a little more to get a little more.

I still maintain my same position: if you want to get your lottery's attention and more fairness, then stop playing their games. Talking won't do anything, but taking your money away from them will. Low ticket sales on all the games will get attention quicker than any phone call, letter, protest, etc etc. I don't want to see the lottery shut down, I just want to see more people win on all tiers more often. For the amount of money they take in, it's only fair.

L.L.

BobP's avatarBobP

Poor people spend proportionally more of their income on every thing they purchase when compared to those who have more money.  The difference is a small win like Pick-3 Straight gives the poor a shot at the utility value of money. 

For example, give a person a dollar a day to eat on, they can't.  However give them seven dollars at once and they can buy bread, eggs, raman noodles, hot dogs, 100 tea bags at the dollar store some of which may last into the next week. 

Instead of trying to force a false cure on everyone, the NAACP and Dr. Juanita Wallace should try education on how to best use money from a small lottery win or other sources to make money.

BobP

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on Jun 30, 2012

Poor people spend proportionally more of their income on every thing they purchase when compared to those who have more money.  The difference is a small win like Pick-3 Straight gives the poor a shot at the utility value of money. 

For example, give a person a dollar a day to eat on, they can't.  However give them seven dollars at once and they can buy bread, eggs, raman noodles, hot dogs, 100 tea bags at the dollar store some of which may last into the next week. 

Instead of trying to force a false cure on everyone, the NAACP and Dr. Juanita Wallace should try education on how to best use money from a small lottery win or other sources to make money.

BobP

Great advice Bob!

Have you considered hosting a consumers advocate TV series? Could call it,  Ask Bob!  Cheers

If the dollar stores could incorporate bigger $1 items such as furniture, appliances, cars and houses, this economy may be jump started yet!   Coffee

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 25, 2024

JAMA is a Kool aid drinking, feeble-minded liberal with an IQ level so low, her only imagination in life is what he-she gets from watching Jersey Shore and Real Housewives of [name your city]. Mind your manners. The good people here at LP offer all types of good advice surrounding the lottery. We welcome healthy debate, but if your only objective is to call people names or make slanderous accusations, all might be best served if you not log in.

If you don't get the Kool-aid reference, just tell us if you prefer donkeys or elephants.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on Jun 30, 2012

BobP

Good response, but I'd add that maybe the NAACP would better serve the poor by teaching them financial responsibility with what funds they have rather than possible future winnings, or attempting to deny everyone something they happen to disagree with. But this is how liberal groups work. If there is something they do not like or disagree with, then ban it, including the free speech they don't agree with. It is status quo for them to do what they are wanting to do.

There is much to be said for budgeting small income. Ask any college student who's only source of funds come from summer jobs and parttime work while going to school fulltime. Why doesn't the NAACP teach this to the poor instead? Because it does not serve their ultimate purpose of being spokesperson for victims. They don't think they can survive without having their 'victims' to advocate. 

Being a Texan, I'd be fairly PO'd if the NAACP got the lottery to dissolve. Same thing with the Bible Thumpers in East Texas trying to stop the lottery because it is against their religion to gamble. Well, I'm Christian (Catholic) and there is nothing I've been taught that says no gambling. These groups are going after the Texas lottery because it is up for sunset review.  They won't win. The Texas lottery supplies income to the state, and the state will deem it worthy of continuance for that reason.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 25, 2024

No No just wrong

One last thought on this...why hasn't the NAACP said anything about the other bigger ways ghetto blacks who likely have multiple baby mommas spend their dough?  How about blasting those guys dropping 1,000 to 3,000 dollars on 22 / 24 inch rims for their customized hoopty?  Or spending a few Benjamin's for new kicks and saggy jeans just because other kicks got scuffed and didn't feel like laundering any of the other dozen of pants/shorts?

So the "we know what's best for you" NAACP focuses on a few dollars people spend for a hope and a dream, but ignores the hundreds and thousands of dollars some spend on theft and rust magnet bling!  I like their logic...NOT!

Stack47

Point taken, but it's not the National organization or even the Texas organization that wants the lottery banned.

"The Dallas chapter of the NAACP wants to stop seeing low income Texans pumping money into the state lottery by putting it out of business."

The problem was actually started when the Texas Lottery Commission did a study and published it. They probably didn't think a small group in North Dallas would demand the lottery closed because of what they found. Dr. Juanita Wallace either didn't read the study about the effect of the Pick-3 game on low income people or ignorantly combined all Texas lottery games.

Any lottery in the country could conduct similar studies and find that many of their pick-3 players have low incomes and that's why there are many articles about civic groups, church groups, and even some state legislators demanding their lotteries be closed.

I think a lot of people are forgetting, that it's the peoples CHOICE to play or not, not the orginizations or the Government.

You can't compel with one hand and NOT compel with the other.

It's the individuals CHOICE period...!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 28, 2012

I Agree!, rdgrnr!

Cussing Face

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Nikkicute on Jun 28, 2012

Thanks!! It's sad but true!

These days Church is business and they don't want any competition!

Actually, "Churchs/Religions" has been BIG BUSINESS for thousands of years!

lot-to man

People have the right to buy lottery tickets as long as they know how much they can afford to spent. I get two pensions and have the right to buy whatever my heart desires, and no one has the right to stop me from trying to win a few dollars for using the same amount to try to win. I have won $40.00 many times in a fifty cent ticket, so I don't expect to stop buying one until I die.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by lot-to man on Jun 30, 2012

People have the right to buy lottery tickets as long as they know how much they can afford to spent. I get two pensions and have the right to buy whatever my heart desires, and no one has the right to stop me from trying to win a few dollars for using the same amount to try to win. I have won $40.00 many times in a fifty cent ticket, so I don't expect to stop buying one until I die.

And even after you die, when you fly way up high, to the spirit in the sky.........there will be loads of slots machines and pick 3's awaiting you.   Blue Angel

I'm sure even God  Lover's to gamble. After all, he took a big chance on all of us!!!  Wink

Puffalishous's avatarPuffalishous

Interesting topic......As an African-American, I don't agree with the Naacp's stance on wanting to shut down the lottery. Just like poor people play the lottery, they buy liquor, cigarettes, black and milds, drugs etc. Are you going to pursue a ban on those items as well? It does not matter the economic background of an individual, you can't force them stop something if they are not willing to do so. I have more to say but will wait to do so

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Puffalishous on Jul 1, 2012

Interesting topic......As an African-American, I don't agree with the Naacp's stance on wanting to shut down the lottery. Just like poor people play the lottery, they buy liquor, cigarettes, black and milds, drugs etc. Are you going to pursue a ban on those items as well? It does not matter the economic background of an individual, you can't force them stop something if they are not willing to do so. I have more to say but will wait to do so

Absolutely correct Puffalishous! This socio-economic problem cuts through all races, creeds and colors.  Group Hug

cablepunk

Stop giving them a check, then they wont have money to spend on Lottery. I blame the government not the people. People know how to work the system.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by cablepunk on Jul 1, 2012

Stop giving them a check, then they wont have money to spend on Lottery. I blame the government not the people. People know how to work the system.

Either that, or give them some really BIG CHECKS  and maybe they'll get lucky and score a jackpot.  Party

dr65's avatardr65

Screw the poll. Screw the survey. Screw the NAACP. Did it occur to anyone this sounds like they are chipping away at a different form of White power and inching their way into

controlling a whole range of things? Any entity that makes a minority of anyone/thing for selfish reasons or their own agenda is practicing a form of racism themselves. Controlling the

lottery now and hiding behind the seemingly benevolent move to abolish state lotteries to help the poor rise above their misery....that's a good one. 

Who's survey was that anyway? The Texas lottery, right? There are a LOT of poor people, does that mean they can't afford a lottery ticket? Dammit, get on something worthwhile instead

of sticking your nose into what little pleasure and hope some of these people have. They - NAACPnuts - are worried about lottery spending that will keep minorities down?? Some minorities

are down for a LOT of reasons and a rotten dollar isn't keeping them down. What a bunch of azzholes.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jun 29, 2012

Artist, I see the resemblance! Good call. Smile

larry tate  eric holder

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Jun 30, 2012

JAMA is a Kool aid drinking, feeble-minded liberal with an IQ level so low, her only imagination in life is what he-she gets from watching Jersey Shore and Real Housewives of [name your city]. Mind your manners. The good people here at LP offer all types of good advice surrounding the lottery. We welcome healthy debate, but if your only objective is to call people names or make slanderous accusations, all might be best served if you not log in.

If you don't get the Kool-aid reference, just tell us if you prefer donkeys or elephants.

Oldschoolpa,

Real jersey shore people are embarrsed and disgusted by that TV show,

Lucky for me they did,nt come far enough south to be assoc. w/ my area.

Now if i could get lucky w/ lottery.  LOL

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 1, 2012

larry tate  eric holder

Almost a dead ringer.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jul 1, 2012

Almost a dead ringer.

Maybe Larry Tate was the baby daddy.

faber98

Given the fact that I am disabled, I will stand my ground against your threats of violence!

I am not misguided, I am not stupid enough to fall for the Democratic Extremist myths and fairy tales!

So typical of you to threaten those that disagree with you!

US Flag I am a true Patriot, not a Fascist thug like you.

gee, dpoly1 i am only bashing you verbally not physically. and you are the one that brought up the political anti-democratic rhetoric. if you are a patriot like you say you would accept the dems when they are in power and abide by all their wishes and wants.

Simba774

Maybe we should change the name of this country? Let's vote in a Dictator too!

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 1, 2012

Green laugh

myturn's avatarmyturn

If a state lottery is shut down, people will play other state lotteries, or other non-lottery games; legal or illegal. The bottom line is the revenue is lost to the state.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Jul 3, 2012

If a state lottery is shut down, people will play other state lotteries, or other non-lottery games; legal or illegal. The bottom line is the revenue is lost to the state.

I Agree!  And many of these "illegal" games are more risky and costly than the states games. Self-control over your impulses is the only real problem.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 1, 2012

larry tate  eric holder

OMG! lol  Same chin, same forehead, same ears, same mustache, etc.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 1, 2012

lol  It was Larry's second wife....

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jul 3, 2012

lol  It was Larry's second wife....

also a dead ringer for the beleaguered arkansas lottery director "bishop woolsey"

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jul 3, 2012

also a dead ringer for the beleaguered arkansas lottery director "bishop woolsey"

I don't know faber....Doesn't look too simular to me.  No Nod

Bishop Woolsey:                               

bishop woolsey 

Eric Holder:

eric holder

Larry Tate:

larry tate

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 4, 2012

I don't know faber....Doesn't look too simular to me.  No Nod

Bishop Woolsey:                               

bishop woolsey 

Eric Holder:

eric holder

Larry Tate:

larry tate

Yeah I googled the same picture yesterday, didn't see the resemblance myself?

Guy looks a bit bloated, might be sampling a little to much of his own product. (The edible scratch tickets).   LOL

ayenowitall's avatarayenowitall

Roll Eyes "They all look alike." Disapprove

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jul 1, 2012

Almost a dead ringer.

The other night while channel surfing I saw an episode of the Untouchables from 1960. David White played a mob attorney who was running the family and his girlfriend was played by Elizabeth Montgomery.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

jama,

shame on you No No I am a AA female Conservative who went to undergraduate school at an HSBCU(LU) & I was also a member of the NAACP on my campus. You should read the following articles below.

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/news/college-republicans-back-at-howard-1.473353

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/opinion/history-shows-republicans-have-improved-civil-rights-1.2281141

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/news/black-republicans-reflect-diversity-in-gop-1.2397190

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story