Rhode Island lottery winner hits jackpot one day after son wins $1,000

Jul 4, 2012, 2:50 pm (68 comments)

Rhode Island Lottery

CRANSTON, R.I. — Perhaps there's luck in their genes.

A man from East Providence, Rhode Island, has claimed more than $180,000 in lottery winnings, a day after his son won $1,000 in a different game.

Rhode Island Lottery officials say the man on Monday claimed the $180,599 jackpot from the Wild Money game's Saturday night drawing. He was accompanied to lottery headquarters in Cranston by his wife and son, who had just won $1,000 of his own on an instant ticket on Friday.

Lottery officials didn't release the winner's name.

The winner says he wants to take his wife of 35 years on a vacation, but he's not sure how else he'll spend the money.

He bought the ticket at an East Providence convenience store.

AP

Comments

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Congratulations to the lucky winner,and kudos to Rhode Island for allowing him to collect his winnings without splattering his name from coast to coast.

mcginnin56

Mmmm.....wonder if it's Max's dh?  Congrat's and Happy va-ca if it is Max!   Party

weshar75's avatarweshar75

That is a nice win!  Congrats to the winners both big and small.  Enjoy it!-weshar75

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

A New England conspiracy, just like yesterday's Mega Millions win in New York!
Just kidding, Congrats to all!

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jul 4, 2012

Mmmm.....wonder if it's Max's dh?  Congrat's and Happy va-ca if it is Max!   Party

lol - no such luck.  east providence is pretty much in the middle between the 2 big winners that we have had... so it looks like we are spreading the winners out throughout this HUGE state.

man... a vaca sure does sound sweet though hmm?

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 4, 2012

Congratulations to the lucky winner,and kudos to Rhode Island for allowing him to collect his winnings without splattering his name from coast to coast.

and i am STUNNED that RI isnt plastering the name hither - thither - and yon... they must be 'old-family' and know the right people!

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 4, 2012

and i am STUNNED that RI isnt plastering the name hither - thither - and yon... they must be 'old-family' and know the right people!

stunned? he only won 180,000 not 180 million. do you really think people are going to hunt down a winner looking for a handout for that paltry an amount. it wouldn't be worth the ink to print his name since no one would even care. cletus is more worried about having his name revealed in the unlikely event that he would win that he probably doesn't even play. he is scared of his own scarecrow in his own cornfield. yes, cletus we get it, for the umpteenth time. you are in favor of not revealing winners names.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jul 4, 2012

stunned? he only won 180,000 not 180 million. do you really think people are going to hunt down a winner looking for a handout for that paltry an amount. it wouldn't be worth the ink to print his name since no one would even care. cletus is more worried about having his name revealed in the unlikely event that he would win that he probably doesn't even play. he is scared of his own scarecrow in his own cornfield. yes, cletus we get it, for the umpteenth time. you are in favor of not revealing winners names.

Well faber98,you might as well get used to reading about me and my dislike of lotterys revealing the names of the winners because I'm going to bitch about it until the lotterys change their stupid rules.I'm not like you and just roll over when someone says to rollover.And I do play the lottery.But do you?And $180,000 might be a paltry amount of money to someone like you,but to most people it is a lot of money and people have and do come out of the woodwork to beg for some of it.People have been killed for far less money,

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jul 4, 2012

yep stunned... rhode island pretty much tells everybody anything in order to get publicity.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 4, 2012

Well faber98,you might as well get used to reading about me and my dislike of lotterys revealing the names of the winners because I'm going to bitch about it until the lotterys change their stupid rules.I'm not like you and just roll over when someone says to rollover.And I do play the lottery.But do you?And $180,000 might be a paltry amount of money to someone like you,but to most people it is a lot of money and people have and do come out of the woodwork to beg for some of it.People have been killed for far less money,

I Agree!         I once killed a friend of mine, because he swiped my sandwich as soon as my back was turned.    Chair

Feeling a little guilty about it now.    Roll Eyes

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jul 5, 2012

I Agree!         I once killed a friend of mine, because he swiped my sandwich as soon as my back was turned.    Chair

Feeling a little guilty about it now.    Roll Eyes

wow... that musta been one heck of a sandwich!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 5, 2012

wow... that musta been one heck of a sandwich!

Your dam right it was!!!  A Subway foot long steak & cheese, with all the works. The nerve of that guy.  Mad

smooth11484's avatarsmooth11484

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jul 4, 2012

A New England conspiracy, just like yesterday's Mega Millions win in New York!
Just kidding, Congrats to all!

WHAT U SAID IS TRUTH i gotta move to ny myb i win mega mill

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by smooth11484 on Jul 5, 2012

WHAT U SAID IS TRUTH i gotta move to ny myb i win mega mill

The NY lotto pool is now open. Come and jump in. Everyone wins,wins,wins.   

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jul 5, 2012

The NY lotto pool is now open. Come and jump in. Everyone wins,wins,wins.   

I can't swim, will there be lotto lifeguards present to rescue me if I sink, or worse yet lose.  What?Thinking of...

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Your dam right it was!!!  A Subway foot long steak & cheese, with all the works. The nerve of that guy.  Mad

Great, now I'm hungry and want a Subway :/

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jul 5, 2012

Go get yours Maringoman! Just don't even think about swiping mine, or I'll have to put you down like my ex-buddy.   Chair

Epistrophy's avatarEpistrophy

Go get yours Maringoman! Just don't even think about swiping mine, or I'll have to put you down like my ex-buddy.   Chair

McGinn,

Though they may be tempted to have you replace Jared as their spokesperson, I think that Subway may opt out because of the controversy of having "This man would kill for a Subway sandwich" as the new slogan.

But maybe not.  You could be on billboards everywhere with a sandwich in one hand and an Uzi in the other.  :)

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Epistrophy on Jul 5, 2012

McGinn,

Though they may be tempted to have you replace Jared as their spokesperson, I think that Subway may opt out because of the controversy of having "This man would kill for a Subway sandwich" as the new slogan.

But maybe not.  You could be on billboards everywhere with a sandwich in one hand and an Uzi in the other.  :)

Jared is old news, like stale bread that needs to be tossed.   See Ya!

Subway exec's would just need to listen to their marketing people.  Conehead   The amazing concept that their subs are so delicious, and in demand, that

their customers would kill    Chair   anyone caught trying to take them is brilliant! Your Uzi idea is top notch Epistrophy.  Thumbs Up

Maybe a more customer friendly slogan might be:  "My best friend laid down his life, so that I might have my Subway"   Patriot

You gotta love the fact that their marketing people look like Beldar Conehead.

Must consume mass quantities of sandwiches.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Epistrophy on Jul 5, 2012

You gotta love the fact that their marketing people look like Beldar Conehead.

Must consume mass quantities of sandwiches.

Coneheads are known to expend tens of thousands of calories, to keep their massive grey matter properly fed.   Conehead

The complimentary sandwiches would be just the ticket, to keep their fresh Subway marketing ideas forth coming.      Type

I can't swim, will there be lotto lifeguards present to rescue me if I sink, or worse yet lose.  What?Thinking of...

Don't worry, the lotto will provide lifejackets until you pay your taxes.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jul 5, 2012

You must love lettuce with a passion.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 6, 2012

You must love lettuce with a passion.

And unripened tomatoes.Subway sells garbage & calls it food!

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 6, 2012

And unripened tomatoes.Subway sells garbage & calls it food!

I think that calling it garbage is way too harsh of a characterization.  I'm talking about comparing it with its peers, which is the "on-every-corner" national and international coverage.  Compared to most of its fast food peers in that category, Subway does a pretty good job.  Again, just an opinion.

Now granted, you can get better food, including sandwiches, elsewhere.  For example, almost any ol' deli in NYC will serve a killer sandwich, but it'll cost you, and you won't be able to buy it everywhere in the country as you can with Subway, just in the one little location for a Mom 'n' Pop place.

Besides, we should keep McGinn's dream of replacing Jared going.  He could wear an LP t-shirt while talking about sandwiches and firing rounds over people's heads if they try to snag his sandwich.  It would be entertaining at the very least.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Epistrophy on Jul 6, 2012

I think that calling it garbage is way too harsh of a characterization.  I'm talking about comparing it with its peers, which is the "on-every-corner" national and international coverage.  Compared to most of its fast food peers in that category, Subway does a pretty good job.  Again, just an opinion.

Now granted, you can get better food, including sandwiches, elsewhere.  For example, almost any ol' deli in NYC will serve a killer sandwich, but it'll cost you, and you won't be able to buy it everywhere in the country as you can with Subway, just in the one little location for a Mom 'n' Pop place.

Besides, we should keep McGinn's dream of replacing Jared going.  He could wear an LP t-shirt while talking about sandwiches and firing rounds over people's heads if they try to snag his sandwich.  It would be entertaining at the very least.

You have a right to your opinion.

I have a right to mine.My opinion is that Subway sells garbage and calls it food.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Epistrophy on Jul 6, 2012

Yup, and let us not forget, one mans garbage is another's gourmet goodies.   Lover

A fittin' way to gracefully end Jared's career, would be to catch a few rounds of an Uzi, just after swiping    Crying   my freshly made sandwich.    Dead

It could be right up there with who shot J.R.?  What?    Chair

As funny as that would be, I don't see it getting greenlighted.

Maybe tone it down (and take it easy on poor Jared) a bit:

In your best Duke or Clint Eastwood voice, you say to him, "Mister, this Subway franchise ain't big enough for the two of us."

Then you make him dance like in old Westerns by firing rounds at his feet, after which he runs off into the sunset while getting chased by more rounds.

But your version would definitely have an impact, that's for sure.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Epistrophy on Jul 7, 2012

As funny as that would be, I don't see it getting greenlighted.

Maybe tone it down (and take it easy on poor Jared) a bit:

In your best Duke or Clint Eastwood voice, you say to him, "Mister, this Subway franchise ain't big enough for the two of us."

Then you make him dance like in old Westerns by firing rounds at his feet, after which he runs off into the sunset while getting chased by more rounds.

But your version would definitely have an impact, that's for sure.

Hmmm....I don't know Epistrophy, the Duke or Eastwood showdown ultimatum is a great idea to be sure. Perhaps a compromise would be to slice

and dice Jared up, and include his remains as specialty toppings, as a one time gift to his loyal fan base.    Group Hug

What better way to go? Jared   Lover'ed his subs, now he could be immortalized forever by becoming one! I don't see a problem with this concept

getting the green light and the  Thumbs Up.

I will try forwarding this thread to the Subway marketing people. Wonder what kind of commission this will earn me??!!    Banana

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

I don't know what sort of advertising runs in other parts of the country, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Subway ad featuring Jared.  Perhaps Subway figured out a while ago that he's played out?

Subway may not make the best sandwiches in the world, but I find they're fairly decent.  And I've never had a problem with requesting that they leave off the lettuce; I usually get spinach instead.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jul 8, 2012

I don't know what sort of advertising runs in other parts of the country, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Subway ad featuring Jared.  Perhaps Subway figured out a while ago that he's played out?

Subway may not make the best sandwiches in the world, but I find they're fairly decent.  And I've never had a problem with requesting that they leave off the lettuce; I usually get spinach instead.

Jared is rarely seen anymore in their commercials.   Troll     Initially 10-12 years ago he was a boost for Subway, because of all the weight he lost

through his exclusive diet of healthy Subway sandwiches.

That sizzle is gone now, so must be Jared. His chopped up remains as toppings, should be a fitting tribute, to a once was one hit wonder.   Idea

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jul 8, 2012

Jared is rarely seen anymore in their commercials.   Troll     Initially 10-12 years ago he was a boost for Subway, because of all the weight he lost

through his exclusive diet of healthy Subway sandwiches.

That sizzle is gone now, so must be Jared. His chopped up remains as toppings, should be a fitting tribute, to a once was one hit wonder.   Idea

um mc?  disgusting idea... bluck!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 8, 2012

I can understand and appreciate your concern for Jared Max. Trust me however, it's the right time and the right thing to do. Were Jarad

here now, talking with us one on one, I'm sure he would be the first one to insist he would have it no other way!    Wink

To go out, as perhaps one of the most popular sub toppings ever created by Subway, would be both an honor and a privilege to Jerad.   Approve

A documentary detailing his welcome demise, to further the popularity as well as prosperity of Subway, would no doubt result in a huge windfall

for his surviving family members. This would truly be a win-win for all parties concerned.  Cheers    Thumbs Up

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 8, 2012

Yea, I think that topping is called soylent green.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jul 8, 2012

Yea, I think that topping is called soylent green.

Yes, It probably would have some nuances of ocean plankton, an excellent and delicious food source!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Yes, It probably would have some nuances of ocean plankton, an excellent and delicious food source!

ewww..but  I saw that movie for the first time in the past year or two....it was pretty good. A lot of aging stars in it.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jul 8, 2012

ewww..but  I saw that movie for the first time in the past year or two....it was pretty good. A lot of aging stars in it.

Yeah those stars in their 30's are looking pretty scary.  Eek

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Yeah those stars in their 30's are looking pretty scary.  Eek

lol..I meant Heston, Chuck Conners, Edward G. Robinson....

mcginnin56

I know.  LOL  Wow Chuck Conners was in that movie, big fan of The Rifleman.

mcginnin56

Not only are those stars aging......there all "dead"  lol. lol.  Green laugh   Dead

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jul 9, 2012

Not only are those stars aging......there all "dead"  lol. lol.  Green laugh   Dead

They probably ate at Subway.

I just can't seem to forget a few years ago when Subway was using lettuce that was sprayed with sewer water.It made several people here in the midwest very,very sick and I think it killed a few people,too.Yeah,Subway serves up healthy eating,alright.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 9, 2012

They probably ate at Subway.

I just can't seem to forget a few years ago when Subway was using lettuce that was sprayed with sewer water.It made several people here in the midwest very,very sick and I think it killed a few people,too.Yeah,Subway serves up healthy eating,alright.

Although there was some associated sickness, the sewer water was still a big hit overall. It actually broke all sales records for that month!!!

Through the courtesy of Subway, they sent me a picture of some of the actual sewer water, that was successfully used at that Toledo Ohio franchise.

Thank you Subway for your continuing pioneering spirit, and entrepreneurial leadership in bringing your delicious subs to millions world wide.  Patriot

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Although there was some associated sickness, the sewer water was still a big hit overall. It actually broke all sales records for that month!!!

Through the courtesy of Subway, they sent me a picture of some of the actual sewer water, that was successfully used at that Toledo Ohio franchise.

Thank you Subway for your continuing pioneering spirit, and entrepreneurial leadership in bringing your delicious subs to millions world wide.  Patriot

You are one sick individual!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 9, 2012

You are one sick individual!

Poor Cletu$2   Crying  No sense of humor, no imagination, no original ideas.  No Nod

Enjoy your day.  Sun Smiley

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Poor Cletu$2   Crying  No sense of humor, no imagination, no original ideas.  No Nod

<snip> YOU!!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Maybe he was brought up to act like a man instead of a schoolgirl at a slumber party.

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

That's some pretty twisted humor you've had going on lately, though.  I get that you're trying to be funny, but to me (and apparently many others), it's missing the mark.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jul 10, 2012

That's some pretty twisted humor you've had going on lately, though.  I get that you're trying to be funny, but to me (and apparently many others), it's missing the mark.

Can't please everyone, not looking to either. But thank you for the feedback.   Thumbs Up

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 9, 2012

Maybe he was brought up to act like a man instead of a schoolgirl at a slumber party.

Hearse had it right!  Yes Nod   Why don't you two go off and start your own hate site, no one's buying it here.  Puke

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jul 10, 2012

Hearse had it right!  Yes Nod   Why don't you two go off and start your own hate site, no one's buying it here.  Puke

No one is buying your sick humor here,either.People are sick of you hijacking threads for your own personal view of what humor is.You seem to have at least 10 points of view on every subject.You post just to be posting and add nothing to a conversation.You are an <snip>!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jul 10, 2012

No one is buying your sick humor here,either.People are sick of you hijacking threads for your own personal view of what humor is.You seem to have at least 10 points of view on every subject.You post just to be posting and add nothing to a conversation.You are an <snip>!

There, there Cletu$2......don't go getting your blood pressure up this early in the morning.  Cussing Face  You wouldn't want to jeopardize all those

wonderful <snips>, we have all come to enjoy from your pearls of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your insightful views.  Cheers

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

There, there Cletu$2......don't go getting your blood pressure up this early in the morning.  Cussing Face  You wouldn't want to jeopardize all those

wonderful <snips>, we have all come to enjoy from your pearls of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your insightful views.  Cheers

You are welcome,<snip>.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I ain't goin' nowhere, Tinkerbelle.

And if you don't like me or my country then well... I guess you'll just have to get over it.

Won'tcha?

US Flag

God Bless America!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 10, 2012

I ain't goin' nowhere, Tinkerbelle.

And if you don't like me or my country then well... I guess you'll just have to get over it.

Won'tcha?

US Flag

God Bless America!

You just need to get over yourself big guy.  Jester Have a few more drinks, it's getting late in the day.  Cheers

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You just need to get over yourself big guy.  Jester Have a few more drinks, it's getting late in the day.  Cheers

Au Contraire Mon Frere, it's you who has to get over your fabulous Moulin Rouge dance routine.

Be every bit of the Queen you are if you like, but don't be offended if some of us find it creepy.

mcginnin56

Au Contraire Mon Frere, it's you who has to get over your fabulous Moulin Rouge dance routine.

Be every bit of the Queen you are if you like, but don't be offended if some of us find it creepy.

Coming from the Fred Astaire of homophobic right wing nut jobs, I think I'll pass on the usual gibberish, you happen to be blowing out today big guy. 

Nothin' personal you understand.

ahh yes... now THIS is the Lottery Post I have come to know and love...

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 10, 2012

ahh yes... now THIS is the Lottery Post I have come to know and love...

Don't you just miss it!!!  Lovies     LOL

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Coming from the Fred Astaire of homophobic right wing nut jobs, I think I'll pass on the usual gibberish, you happen to be blowing out today big guy. 

Nothin' personal you understand.

Nothin' phobic about me, sonny boy.

I ain't afraid o' nothin.

I just think you're arrogant, overbearing and condescending.

But mostly creepy.

mcginnin56

Nothin' phobic about me, sonny boy.

I ain't afraid o' nothin.

I just think you're arrogant, overbearing and condescending.

But mostly creepy.

So were all good again. Got everything out of your system? Excellent. That little purge should let you go another 3 months. (fingers crossed).  Naughty

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

So were all good again. Got everything out of your system? Excellent. That little purge should let you go another 3 months. (fingers crossed).  Naughty

Do your fabulous girl-talk routine with somebody else. 

I'm not interested.

mcginnin56

Do your fabulous girl-talk routine with somebody else. 

I'm not interested.

Tell you what big guy, I know you always gotta get the last word on every post, so here's my gift to you, you can have that coveted trophy.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Tell you what big guy, I know you always gotta get the last word on every post, so here's my gift to you, you can have that coveted trophy.

Yeah, blah,blah,blah, whatever.

Isn't it about time for another RI winner?  It's been soooOOoo long...

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 11, 2012

Little ol' Rhodie is way overdue for another PB win.   Disapprove  2-nites the night!!! 

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jul 11, 2012

Yup I sense it too. The northeast has been in a dry spell way too long. Smile

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jul 11, 2012

Yup I sense it too. The northeast has been in a dry spell way too long. Smile

maybe today is the day for the northeast to win again!  good luck stang!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story