Iowa Lottery director: 50-50 that Hot Lotto mystery will be solved

Aug 9, 2012, 6:46 am (19 comments)

Hot Lotto

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Terry Rich would love to know the story behind the winner of a lottery jackpot walking away from a ticket valued at $7.5 million after taxes.

"It's the only time we can find anywhere in world lottery history that somebody won a major jackpot and gave it up," Rich said Aug. 8.

Although there have been cases of people not claiming a jackpot because they lost their winning ticket, "No one has ever claimed it, had the hoopla, and then said, 'OK, we don't want it. Bye,'" Rich said.

However, Rich, the director of the Iowa Lottery, and a Department of Criminal Investigation agent involved in the case say the odds of solving the mystery may be no better than 50-50.

The mystery, which has led to discussions of a movie, began with a Hot Lotto ticket with an after-tax value of $7.5 million that matched the grand-prize numbers drawn on Dec. 29, 2010. It wasn't turned in until a year later — less than two hours before the jackpot was slated to expire — bearing the name of a New York attorney who was acting on behalf of a Belize-based investment trust.

The attorney ultimately withdrew his claim after Lottery officials said they would not pay the money unless he answered their questions.

After "hitting the investigation hot and heavy," DCI Special Agent-in-Charge Patrick Townsend, said the case is at something of a standstill as they await the results of subpoenas issued for telephone and email records of "people of interest."

The investigation, he added, has not pointed toward any involvement by Iowa Lottery employees.

"There was nothing to lead us in that direction," Townsend said.

Whether they strike pay dirt with the subpoenas or people come forward with new information, Townsend doubts investigators will lose interest in the case.

"It's been one of the more interesting cases," he said. "There have been a lot of turns, a lot of 'Wow, that's interesting' moments."

Whether the case is solved, Rich believes the Lottery has handled it properly and is confident the integrity and security of the Lottery has been preserved.

"The bottom line is we kept the money," he said.

It will give away $1 million of it at the Iowa State Fair, which starts Aug. 9.

The case has spawned numerous theories. Although cautious not to say anything that would interfere with the investigation, Rich dismissed the idea the ticketholder was underage.

"I don't believe that's the case based on what I know," he said.

Another theory is the winning ticket was taken from the purchaser after he bragged about his jackpot.

"They usually have loose lips," Rich said. "Maybe they showed it to someone (who) took the ticket and said, 'Good-bye,' and disposed of that person."

Still another theory centers around a ticket purchased illegally through an international syndicate with the parties walking away from the jackpot rather than answer the Lottery's questions.

There still are a couple of people who claim the winning ticket was stolen from them. That's not Rich's problem.

"Under the law, as I understand it, they have to sue the guy in New York because he was the one who claimed it," he said.

Regardless where the subpoenas lead, Rich said the story may take on a life of its own.

His office has fielded inquiries from people interested in making a movie about the Hot Lotto ticket mystery. There's nothing definite and Rich hasn't given a lot of thought to which actor should play him.

"The ones that come to mind are Ed Asner or Robert Redford, but they're old," he joked. "But I guess I am too."

Lee-Gazette

Comments

mcginnin56

Terry Rich should be played by Mawell Smart.

Another theory could be that someone from within the Iowa lottery commission was covering up for someone else. Had the pointed questions not

been asked, someone would have claimed this jackpot for sure.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

"They usually have loose lips," Rich said. "Maybe they showed it to someone (who) took the ticket and said, 'Good-bye,' and disposed of that person."

Still another theory centers around a ticket purchased illegally through an international syndicate with the parties walking away from the jackpot rather than answer the Lottery's questions."

These two seems more realistic to me. How about the person being a wealthy new Yorker who is evading taxes? I feel that they will find out eventually.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Aug 9, 2012

Still another theory centers around a ticket purchased illegally through an international syndicate with the parties walking away from the jackpot rather than answer the Lottery's questions."

These two seems more realistic to me. How about the person being a wealthy new Yorker who is evading taxes? I feel that they will find out eventually.

This must somehow tie in with your tax re-distrubtion theories.  LOL

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

"The bottom line is we kept the money," he said.

That just about says it alll!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

More likely won by someone who has won before with a system, a scheme or a scam that they don't want to put at risk until they hit the real mother lode with it.

They could afford to let this one go because they know they can do it again for the really big score after they get all their ducks in a row.

They may have done it already.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 9, 2012

More likely won by someone who has won before with a system, a scheme or a scam that they don't want to put at risk until they hit the real mother lode with it.

They could afford to let this one go because they know they can do it again for the really big score after they get all their ducks in a row.

They may have done it already.

That makes more sense then any other theory I've heard.

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

l don't think this has anything to do with a lotto system what so ever am very good in profiling people and numbers.This is my only logical theory an old lady or man came into a store to check there ticket the cashier sees its a winner and decides to pay the real winner $5 .Now he has another problem how to cash it and he talks to a trusted relative in new york who decides to help cash it for a fee .so they get some money hungry lawyers to help cover there trail of deceptions .So they wait till last minute so the lottery won't have time to do a full investigation or thinking the real winner would have forgotten about it.The lottery officials refuse to pay because they want more answers and they can't give thoes answers because they will be bursted in there lies and go to jail. Now instead of going to jail they decide well lets abandon ship and swim for our life jail free.So they are trying to escape a jail sentence for fraud so this is my only logical explanation they decided not to continue the claim process.And worst case scenerio the real owner could have been kidnapped too .people don't think properly when they are excited of stealing a winning lottery ticket never have time to think of the claiming process properly.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

It clear if there was some kind of lottery scheme going on it was a no brainer to walk away from $7.5M rather than discuss it which contribute to the theory it's big and the people running it got smarter.

If it ever came to light that anyone with a million or two dollars to gamble had a pretty good chance of winning any lottery, it would change the structures of MM and PB lottery schemes.

Stack47

"bearing the name of a New York attorney who was acting on behalf of a Belize-based investment trust."

It's really not that uncommon for someone to sell their winning ticket and a Belize-based investment was the final owner, but the strange part is why buy a ticket you might not be able to cash. Now since they withdrew their claim, there is no reason for the lottery to investigate. It really doesn't matter if Iowa Lottery security chief believes there was foul play because he doesn't represent the law and certainly not in Belize.

I'm guessing the real winner was an illegal and the trust was formed in Belize believing they could cash the ticket anonymously.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Aug 9, 2012

"bearing the name of a New York attorney who was acting on behalf of a Belize-based investment trust."

It's really not that uncommon for someone to sell their winning ticket and a Belize-based investment was the final owner, but the strange part is why buy a ticket you might not be able to cash. Now since they withdrew their claim, there is no reason for the lottery to investigate. It really doesn't matter if Iowa Lottery security chief believes there was foul play because he doesn't represent the law and certainly not in Belize.

I'm guessing the real winner was an illegal and the trust was formed in Belize believing they could cash the ticket anonymously.

Such a situation could be win win for a drug cartel looking to laundry some money and an illegal looking to avoid a hassle.

dognabit

grwurston's avatargrwurston

The ticket may have been purchased by someone who doesn't want to be found for whatever reason. Someone in witness protection for example. By waiting till the last minute to cash the ticket, they probably thought there would no hoop-la or publicity. As it turned out the waiting drew a lot of attention, so they said "The heck with it. It's not worth the risk of being found".

bombay

I am in FAVOR of abolishing the Lottery and all those of participating states. I will be forth coming soon with my findings from an ongoing studying of the lottery drawings. Also do you guys find it ironic that their are only 1000 combinations for the pick three but yet triple digits and quadruple numbers are rarely drawn. Don't you think if you have two games per day for seven days a week, fourteen drawings a week, for three hundred and sixty five days a year you would at least see those type of patterns. In addition, don't you also find it a little "ponzi" that never in the history of the <snip> where drawings like 2-4-6-8-10-...Whole and even even or chronological numbers like 1-2-3-4-5-6 has never been drawn? Also, how is it possible that you can get the same pattern of numbers for the pick three/four, but yet cannot never get the same pattern of numbers for PowerBall, Mega or State games? Make you wonder right? Furthermore, if each states are using "SmartPlay" machines don't you think a uncontrolled machine has the possibility of popping the same pattern of numbers for a month straight considering its just "random" right? I guess this "SmartPlay" machines isn't so SMART! Actually they so smart they no NOT to draw quadruple, chronological and triple digits numbers.

If the lottery isn't rigged why do THEY need to do "pretest drawings?" My thing is this if they wanna pretest the balls to make sure the machine is properly functioning just USE blank BALLS!

The LOTTERY is FULL of %*%*

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

The lotteries are not going anywhere, but you can abolish them personally,

just quit playing.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by bombay on Aug 16, 2012

I am in FAVOR of abolishing the Lottery and all those of participating states. I will be forth coming soon with my findings from an ongoing studying of the lottery drawings. Also do you guys find it ironic that their are only 1000 combinations for the pick three but yet triple digits and quadruple numbers are rarely drawn. Don't you think if you have two games per day for seven days a week, fourteen drawings a week, for three hundred and sixty five days a year you would at least see those type of patterns. In addition, don't you also find it a little "ponzi" that never in the history of the <snip> where drawings like 2-4-6-8-10-...Whole and even even or chronological numbers like 1-2-3-4-5-6 has never been drawn? Also, how is it possible that you can get the same pattern of numbers for the pick three/four, but yet cannot never get the same pattern of numbers for PowerBall, Mega or State games? Make you wonder right? Furthermore, if each states are using "SmartPlay" machines don't you think a uncontrolled machine has the possibility of popping the same pattern of numbers for a month straight considering its just "random" right? I guess this "SmartPlay" machines isn't so SMART! Actually they so smart they no NOT to draw quadruple, chronological and triple digits numbers.

If the lottery isn't rigged why do THEY need to do "pretest drawings?" My thing is this if they wanna pretest the balls to make sure the machine is properly functioning just USE blank BALLS!

Guess your not a lottery player. So would your suggestion be that we all boycott the state lotteries, and just play our numbers with the illegal criminal

syndicates on the street like we did 50+ years ago?

At least the syndicates wouldn't be bothering you with those pesky pretest drawings, they would just be the "rigged ones".  Thumbs Up

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Why do you frequent a lottery site?This site is for lottery players,not for those that are against the lotterys.Go rain on someone elses parade.

Scientistman

You know, I can understand what you are saying, and how you are feeling. I know how you feel to play and play and play and not win. It is good to stop playing every so often. Once I completely decided I was done with the lottery. I told myself I am through. I was depressed I had gotten all 6 numbers correct but changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with other numbers and the ones I originally had all showed in the lotto every one of them. Yes its heartbreaking but I learned a big lesson. Anyhow I decided not to play anymore and then one day having no intention of buying a ticket I did and won a thousand dollars for a buck! So its ok to not play. Perfectly ok. And then if you feel like playig again. Thats ok too.

Your ther question. I will try t answer in a silly way.

The reason you dont see those types of numbers like 1 2 3 4 5 6 is the same reason you dont see 22 23 24 25 26 27 or 35 36 37 38 39 40

or 40 41 42 43 44 45 or 44 45 46 47 48 49

There is an area in randomness where certain things seem not to occur.

Like when the wind blows why dont we see 8 trees blow over all at one time and hit the ground exactly at the same time. Even in a hurican or typhon 8 trees if reviewed in slow motion do not hit the ground exactly at the same time.

Or why we dont see 10 house painters painting on the same block 10 different houses in a row on any given street and each of them had no idea that the other painters were going to be painting on that street that same day.

Certain coincidences do happen, yet not in large scale.

Though randomness appears to be random it isnt really truly random. Randomness does have patterns. Not like patterns that are done by design but patterns none-the-less

In Washington state 5 6 7 8 9 26 showed. So what you mentioned almost happened.

Also the same 6 numbers showed in 2 different drawings on two different days.

And the same 6 numbers that showed in Washington State also showed in Wisconsin all 6 the same. 

And the same 6 numbers showing again this was once unheard of

But lately the same 6 numbers are starting to show again from time to time.

There are other times where all 6 numbers showed again. But its rare but it does happen.

The reason it happens is really only 3 reasons.

1 Thats how randomness works one in a rare blue moon

2 Random Number Generators have flaws and are not truly random

3 Someone at the Washington State lottery messed up and posted the wrong numbers by accident

And the director said just leave it alone and maybe we'll be alright.

Its not uncommon for a director too decide important decisions such as this. And never tell te public. Afterall they are the director and thats part of their job to decide what to do when someone makes a mistake and post the wrong numbers.

I know its possible to win 5 numbers right and tey will pay you. Just in case you dont think its possible.

Im not sure if the lottery will let anyone win 6 numbers right by chance unless they let you

See ultimately we the people do not have the choice. There is a saying that goes like this

He who has the gold makes the rules

So if the lottery is rigged you probably wont be able to prove it in your life time.

I probably could but Im not going too because well I dont want to die. And they would probably kill me.

If lottery winners get murdered then what would stop me from getting murdered if I expose a lottery is rigged.

Again I know you can get 5 numbers right because I have done that. And was paid.

Scientistman

Lets consider all the wonderful beautiful blessings that one could do for others with 7.5 million dollars less taxes.

Lets consider sick or ill loved ones who would be in the best hospitals money could buy with 7.5 millions less taxes

Lets consider all the wonderful beautiful blessings that one could do with this kind of money.

Now lets consider giving it up.

One reason I see if its not a criminal.

We have all heard that MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

but it isnt true

The saying isnt Money is the root of all evil

its THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

So apparently this person isnt a person who loves money.

So this tells me it is a religious person possibly a priest, a paster, someone in the clergy.

Someone who has their perspective in order knowing that MONEY CANY BUY ME LOVE.

I know a man just like this. He was from Scotland and everyone knows wiskey is very pupular in scotland.

He was a pastor and went to a pub to pick up a fellow who called the pastor saying he was drunk and needed for him to come pick him up rather than drive drunk. So the pastor went to pick him up and at the end of the bar was a man like Bill Gates(not Bill Gates but very very wealthy)

He had heard of this pastor and heard of his reputation that he being full blooded scotish had never once touched liqior to his lips

So the rich man offered him 1000$ dollars to have one shot of wiskey, and the pastor declined. So the rich man uped the antie and said 5000$ the pastor declined.

At this time the entire pub was watching. The rich man could not believe anyone could turn away 5000 so he uped it to 25,000$ and it was declined

and eventually offered him 1,000,000$ one milllion dollars

The pastor stopped and looked at all the people watching him and then said sir your money will do no good for me and said he will stick with his principles and declined.

No one could believed it.

The pastor walked out.

The next day the pastors church was flooded with people. Including every single person who was at the pub. More than any time in scotlands history.

And guess who els was there? The rich man.

The reason so many people showed up at his church was because the people thought if anyone could turn away that much money they could be trusted with their lives because they were not motivated or moved by money.

That church became one of the biggest churches in scotland.

This was a pastor you could trust. He wasnt after your money.

It may seem dumb for anyone to pass up this much money. Yet some people believe it or not are not moved by money no matter how much it is.

Its somthing most of us simply dont understand.

The rich man donated to this church a very large sum also.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Or maybe they are someone able to give it up because they are most likly older and might not have any family members left. And on the verge of death anyhow so decides to let the lottery keep it and be the ones who gives it away instead of them.

Why they bought the ticket in the first place might be a mystery. Yet one time in Chicago I think it ws a priest went into a convienient store and asked for directions and the clerk thought he said a lottery ticket and put it in his bag with the gum. And he said what is this? the clerk said its the lottery ticket you asked for. The priest said I didnt ask for a lottey ticket, and the clerk said well its alrady paid for and its yours.

The priest kept it and won the lottery in the next drawing with that ticket.

So its all up to the person if they want to keep the ticket or money. Its a personal choice.

The first story the pastor declined the money and it worked out for the better

The second story the Priest kept it but got the ticket by mistake and it worked out for the best.

Its a personal choice.

Scientistman

Maybe I read the story wrong but maybe the guy who bought the ticket died and the attorney who was representing him was trying to cash it in for him and keep the money but when they started asking the attorney questions he didnt want to answer them because if they found out the guy died and he was trying to cash in on the guys ticket he feared going to prison and said just forget it it aint worth losing my freedom over.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story