$338M NJ Powerball winner pledges to pay rent for his entire block

Mar 31, 2013, 3:11 pm (294 comments)

Powerball

Powerball winner Pedro Quezada is hosting a rent party — for his entire block.

A close friend of the newly minted megamillionaire said Quezada promised to temporarily cover the housing costs for residents in the Passaic, N.J., neighborhood that housed his bodega.

"He said he's going to pay the rent for everybody here on this block for at least a month or two months," the friend said Saturday outside Quezada's Apple Deli Grocery. "He's such a good guy."

Word of Quezada's magnanimous gesture left several of his neighbors stunned.

"God bless him, and thank you," crowed Richard Delgado, 45, after learning of the pledge.

John Koblarz's eyes lit up when he heard Quezada had offered to cover his neighbors' rents.

But then the 78-year-old landlord came to his senses.

"Oh, he can't afford to pay mine," Koblarz said. "Mine is $20,000. I own the building!"

Quezada, whose generosity is now the stuff of legend, was nowhere to be found Saturday, five days after he claimed the $338 million Powerball jackpot. But the Dominican immigrant was still the talk of the neighborhood.

Residents said the hardworking Quezada, 45, is considered a local hero.

"He's somebody who needs it, not like the people who had millions already and won it," said Delgado. Cheech Rivera, 57, said he hardly ever saw Quezada or his wife because they were always too busy working to attend summer block parties.

"They struggled. They are always constantly working," said Rivera. "They don't really have time to get together with us."

Piles of mail were stacked outside Quezada's home, including a letter from a Morgan Stanley adviser with a handwritten note on the envelope.

"I want to help you," it read.

Quezada put his bodega up for sale just two days after scoring the fourth-largest Powerball payout in history. The freshly retired Quezada opted for a lump-sum payout that will provide a $152 million payday.

And he's already taken care of the $29,000 he owed in child support, according to his friend.

Officials in Passaic County said Saturday that a child-support warrant was stayed until 1:30 p.m. on Monday, when Quezada is due to appear in court.

Thanks to Original Bey for the tip.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

I have a feeling he is going to be broke in 5 years.

New York's avatarNew York

God bless. I was quick to judge but Pedro is very kind. This is why he won because he was the right person. He payed his debt and he's planting seeds of good. He will prosper. An inspiration.

emilyg's avataremilyg

He should pay his back child support.

New York's avatarNew York

Quote: Originally posted by emilyg on Mar 31, 2013

He should pay his back child support.

In the story, it says he's take care of the $29,000 situation. He just has to go to court.

Lucky4Life's avatarLucky4Life

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Mar 31, 2013

Ha! that's just what I said on the LP facebook page

VenomV12

Sigh, this dude...

He is clearly not that bright. First it will be this, then buying cars and homes for people, investing in friend's "business plans" they have etc etc etc. I gave him 5 years initially until broke, I have now revised my estimates to three years. 

Pedro needs to seriously hire him a good lawyer and financial advisor and learn to say no and put himself on a budget. People have this illusion that having a lot of money suddenly makes them financial geniuses, and it does not, which is the major problem of most pro-athletes, not to mention everyone around them becomes yes men and no one tells them they are wrong or not to do something. 

he is the kind of person i feel even if he hired those people he wouldn't listen to them.

rexbell

Quote: Originally posted by VenomV12 on Mar 31, 2013

Sigh, this dude...

He is clearly not that bright. First it will be this, then buying cars and homes for people, investing in friend's "business plans" they have etc etc etc. I gave him 5 years initially until broke, I have now revised my estimates to three years. 

Pedro needs to seriously hire him a good lawyer and financial advisor and learn to say no and put himself on a budget. People have this illusion that having a lot of money suddenly makes them financial geniuses, and it does not, which is the major problem of most pro-athletes, not to mention everyone around them becomes yes men and no one tells them they are wrong or not to do something. 

I agree and I hope either he or some of his so called friends or family is reading this.
These people and media especially will ride him until he is dead or broke whatever comes first.
He needs to disappear for a few months until this dies down or seek professional advise quickly!!
Every thing he does is going to be in the media, especially the negative.  He has to realize people (media) hate success stories and most people love to see people fail when it comes to lottery winnings.  I will not even bring race into the picture, but yeah people are just waiting for more negative so it can be posterized.
It is already happening, he came forward as the winner last week and we have two or three media stories about him already.

lele100

The size of his heart will be his downfall, if he does not put a cap on it. 

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Lets not be so negative. This guy is doing a good thing and should be commended for it. For 2 months, his neighbors will not worry about rent. Great!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

wait a minute,  even the landlord thinks hes entitled to a cut?

Party1377

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Mar 31, 2013

Lets not be so negative. This guy is doing a good thing and should be commended for it. For 2 months, his neighbors will not worry about rent. Great!

I agree I think people here are jumping to thinking he will lose his money for no reason. And I am pretty sure I read some place he did get a financial advisor. He does need to learn to say no to people for sure. But doing this for his neighbors for a month or 2 won't have him go broke.

Ronnie316

I Agree! It all sounds crazy, but anyone in his position might do the same thing.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky4Life on Mar 31, 2013

Ha! that's just what I said on the LP facebook page

Wait...... LP has a FB page?

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 31, 2013

I Agree! It all sounds crazy, but anyone in his position might do the same thing.

We came into a fairly significant amount of money last year.  We tried to help a friend out by selling him a vehicle on payments.  He made 1 payment in 3 months.  My husband is a musician and he would feed the guys in his band and pay for the gas and pick them up when they needed rides.  The came to expect it and I honestly feel it damaged his relationship with them.  He does not speak to the first friend at all now, even though it was the friend's fault we had to ask him to bring the vehicle back.  You see, you really can't help people first hand.  If he truly wants to help he should form a non profit and have someone else run it.  Unfortunately, life just doesn't allow you to help your friends directly.

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

Yeah ONLY after they had moved, changed their phone numbers, and probably changed their names.  This guy is a sucker and the leeches will bleed him dry in about 5 years.  The news report that I saw said he had at least 1 relative (unknown) coming out of the wood work every day.

We came into a fairly significant amount of money last year.  We tried to help a friend out by selling him a vehicle on payments.  He made 1 payment in 3 months.  My husband is a musician and he would feed the guys in his band and pay for the gas and pick them up when they needed rides.  The came to expect it and I honestly feel it damaged his relationship with them.  He does not speak to the first friend at all now, even though it was the friend's fault we had to ask him to bring the vehicle back.  You see, you really can't help people first hand.  If he truly wants to help he should form a non profit and have someone else run it.  Unfortunately, life just doesn't allow you to help your friends directly.

I Agree!

Prob988

This may be another Jack Whitaker, only worse.

It's sad.   But that's the nature of the lottery.   You need not have the life experience or training to be rich when suddenly you are, and that can be tragic.  I hope he does better than Whitaker, of course, but I suspect he won't.

Whitaker of course had less of an excuse.   He was already relatively rich when he won the big one.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Well I do commend him for doing this but unless it is set up properly, it can cause him a lot of problems.  What if people don't pay their rent for two months and say I assume he was doing it as promised....or who is on the rent payment list and who is not?

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Mar 31, 2013

Well I do commend him for doing this but unless it is set up properly, it can cause him a lot of problems.  What if people don't pay their rent for two months and say I assume he was doing it as promised....or who is on the rent payment list and who is not?

and what if you were one block over, would you feel cheated because he didn't pay your rent? I see him making enemies over this.

Ronnie316

I Agree! His "block" could stretch for miles.

Power$'s avatarPower$

The greed and jelousy in all of you is coming out in this thread. Quezada will never go broke, he is earning millions in interest just for having the money in the bank. Helping out the neighborhood will not even take 2% of his winnings. You all are praying on his downfall just to say (I TOLD YOU SO) and that will never happen with the amount of money he has. No No

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

He will be broke very soon!

Crazy

I Agree! His "block" could stretch for miles.

Will be interesting to see if anyone takes him to court claiming he was in the block but rent was not paid.  He needs to be careful what he says that will be put into print.

ogivens15

Quote: Originally posted by Power$ on Mar 31, 2013

The greed and jelousy in all of you is coming out in this thread. Quezada will never go broke, he is earning millions in interest just for having the money in the bank. Helping out the neighborhood will not even take 2% of his winnings. You all are praying on his downfall just to say (I TOLD YOU SO) and that will never happen with the amount of money he has. No No

I agree with you completely..................

I thought he had a "financial advisor"......all of them are not created equal.  If he does and he is making stupid statements like this, he needs to fire that financial advisor and get a REAL ONE.  Depending on the amount of the rent, he could be making his "neighbors" have a huge IRS headache for next year. 

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Agree with stupid

Oh please.  I think you are missing the big picture in terms of making open ended promises and potential litigation, etc. I don't see how any of this relates to jealousy or greed. Quite the contrary, we are hoping he excercises more caution.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

"He said he's going to pay the rent for everybody here ..."

I think President Lyndon Johnson tried this. Food, too.
Anyone recall how it turned out? Wink
Thinking of...

Will be interesting if the IRS decides to count the rent payment as taxable income and then hit everyone up for it. LOL

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Mar 31, 2013

I thought he had a "financial advisor"......all of them are not created equal.  If he does and he is making stupid statements like this, he needs to fire that financial advisor and get a REAL ONE.  Depending on the amount of the rent, he could be making his "neighbors" have a huge IRS headache for next year. 

LOL Beat me to it.

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

Oh please.  I think you are missing the big picture in terms of making open ended promises and potential litigation, etc. I don't see how any of this relates to jealousy or greed. Quite the contrary, we are hoping he excercises more caution.

Same here.  I don't wish any ill will towards him.  I believe Jack Whittaker won about the same amount.  He had millions just in interest, too.  Now I hear he's broke.  I hope this guy figures it out before he's thrown his money all over the place and it's gone.

It is not greed and jealousy..it is based mostly upon fact.  Ask Jack Whittiker how many MILLIONS he lost.  After being sued by many, robbed, etc...  Many lottery players who won the "big" ones are now broke.  The only ones who are still going strong are the ones who had a real finacial advisor and followed the advice given.

This guy should have moved immediately, changed his telephone number and claimed his winnings anonymously.  The leeches are going into a feeding frenzy over his money.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Mar 31, 2013

It is not greed and jealousy..it is based mostly upon fact.  Ask Jack Whittiker how many MILLIONS he lost.  After being sued by many, robbed, etc...  Many lottery players who won the "big" ones are now broke.  The only ones who are still going strong are the ones who had a real finacial advisor and followed the advice given.

This guy should have moved immediately, changed his telephone number and claimed his winnings anonymously.  The leeches are going into a feeding frenzy over his money.

So true, a fool and his money are soon departed, he'll be broke in no time or worse, in a shallow grave.

Its sickening isn't it? its hard to believe some of the comments on here about this

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

you know you are correct Yes Nod

you don't know nothing Guitar

Ronnie316

Its sickening isn't it? its hard to believe some of the comments on here about this

I Agree! He wont go broke paying peoples rent. Jack gave $1000+ per week to a single person for drug use.

Power$'s avatarPower$

Yes very sicknening i can't hardly read these comments any more.PukeSulk Off

That's sad.  Most of us would say, oh MY friends aren't like that!  I know who my real friends are.

Well, until you have money I'm not sure you do know, and even trusted relatives turn out to be mooches who get ticked off when the ATM closes.

Ronnie316

Give us a shower of Power$.

Yes very sicknening i can't hardly read these comments any more.PukeSulk Off

you don't have to read them Hat

I agree 110%.  You can give someone a free fish every day or teach them how to fish.

I get the same routine over books. I have a tendency to give very detailed (free advice which most authors will not do) when someone asks me how to get a book deal  (assuming for the moment they can write) and will even go to the extent to give them a battle plan. But it always comes back to bite me in the behind because they want me to do even more and then do the real work for them too...research, pass on my contacts so they don't have to educate themselves on publishing, etc.  Most of these people only see a potential big $ sign only and don't want to do the hard work. I never hear any of them ever say they want to write because they have a good story to tell or want to share their expertise. At some point, I end up having to tell them to take a hike.

Quote: Originally posted by Party1377 on Mar 31, 2013

I agree I think people here are jumping to thinking he will lose his money for no reason. And I am pretty sure I read some place he did get a financial advisor. He does need to learn to say no to people for sure. But doing this for his neighbors for a month or 2 won't have him go broke.

Anybody volunteering to help has to be bisected and dissected and inspected for malfunction. Its sad how society is.

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Mar 31, 2013

That's sad.  Most of us would say, oh MY friends aren't like that!  I know who my real friends are.

Well, until you have money I'm not sure you do know, and even trusted relatives turn out to be mooches who get ticked off when the ATM closes.

it is really sad considering it was life insurance money.  I can't imagine how people would act towards you when you just outright win millions. 

One also has to wonder what would be gained by him making a formal announcement of paying people's rent.  He wants to be glorified as a saint.  This is not true altruism.

Ronnie316

it is really sad considering it was life insurance money.  I can't imagine how people would act towards you when you just outright win millions. 

One also has to wonder what would be gained by him making a formal announcement of paying people's rent.  He wants to be glorified as a saint.  This is not true altruism.

Like I said, your NOT in HIS position of living in the hood and wanting to give your neighbors a hand up.

I Agree! He wont go broke paying peoples rent. Jack gave $1000+ per week to a single person for drug use.

From what I read it says he'll pay rent for 2 months. Unless others are reading another article elsewhere What?

Quote: Originally posted by on Mar 28, 2024

lol....we have the same avatar. Mew!

Hurray!

Ronnie316

It NOT like he is going to be paying peoples $3500. a month house payments and buying them boats.

Ronnie316

You are the original Artist, often copied but never duplicated.

You are the original Artist, often copied but never duplicated.

lol lol

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skeptical should prove most curious to see how he ends up indeed Yes Nod

but win lose or draw it was his choice and worst case scenario is he winds up like the golden goose

sully16's avatarsully16

I agree 110%.  You can give someone a free fish every day or teach them how to fish.

I get the same routine over books. I have a tendency to give very detailed (free advice which most authors will not do) when someone asks me how to get a book deal  (assuming for the moment they can write) and will even go to the extent to give them a battle plan. But it always comes back to bite me in the behind because they want me to do even more and then do the real work for them too...research, pass on my contacts so they don't have to educate themselves on publishing, etc.  Most of these people only see a potential big $ sign only and don't want to do the hard work. I never hear any of them ever say they want to write because they have a good story to tell or want to share their expertise. At some point, I end up having to tell them to take a hike.

Your very right, Look at all the stories here on people who lost it all, ended up dead or in jail, on the streets,

He's Mr. Big shot now flapping is mouth off, paying rent for 2 months, really nice gesture, but somewhere, there is someone formulating a plan to get the lions share, there's a dee dee moore waiting in the shadow, 2 months of rent will turn into , we need a car, we need braces, we need a new tv, once he starts the free train, it will just gain speed, a disaster waiting to happen.

Ronnie316

As a matter of fact, if you had ever lived in the hood you would know that those who are truly poor are often the most humble people on the planet and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if most of them turned him down. 

Its the "I don't have any money" suburbanites that would feel entitled and sue him for boating money.

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Mar 31, 2013

Skeptical should prove most curious to see how he ends up indeed Yes Nod

but win lose or draw it was his choice and worst case scenario is he winds up like the golden goose

the golden goose

what happen to the Goose?

sully16's avatarsully16

It NOT like he is going to be paying peoples $3500. a month house payments and buying them boats.

Not yet, they will come out of the woodwork

As a matter of fact, if you had ever lived in the hood you would know that those who are truly poor are often the most humble people on the planet and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if most of them turned him down. 

Its the "I don't have any money" suburbanites that would feel entitled and sue him for boating money.

never lived in the hood but i've lived in the trailer park. 

Like Steve Harvey says, the best thing you can do for poor people is not be one of them.

sully16's avatarsully16

Beg to differ, grew up in Detroit, 7 mile and evergreen, makes em an ems 8 mile like like pre school, humble......lmao not hardly, you grow up fast and hard, no humble to be found in the hood.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Mar 31, 2013

Not yet, they will come out of the woodwork

I have a feeling he knows the difference between "his block" and yo block.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 31, 2013

the golden goose

what happen to the Goose?

Cooked and eaten maybe?

Cooked and eaten maybe?

JAP69's avatarJAP69

He might as well get his desire to be poor again by being driven down the streets throwing handfuls of money to the wind until there is none left.

sully16's avatarsully16

I have a feeling he knows the difference between "his block" and yo block.

I have a feeling he will be drunk with power, and when he finds he can't get a moments rest, he'll run, and his so called friends will desert him.

CLETU$

Cooked and eaten maybe?

A fool & his money....Well,you know the rest.

Expect to see this guy on the Lottery ruined my life tv show.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I'm hoping that Pedro will spend a little bit of money in my neighborhood too. Wink

Come on down!!! Eatontown, NJ welcomes Pedro to our neighborhood!!!!!!!

Pedro Quezada

You the man Pedro, you the man! I wish I had all the money to spread around. Yep, I'm jealous! LOL

$152 million

- $29,000.00+ child support

-$ peoples rent

-new cars for family's & friends

-?????????

the list will go on and on check back next monthLOL

Ronnie316

I have a feeling he will be drunk with power, and when he finds he can't get a moments rest, he'll run, and his so called friends will desert him.

I have a feeling he will make everyone stand in a single file line to receive $10. and they will get tired of standing in line and quit coming over to his house.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Mar 31, 2013

He might as well get his desire to be poor again by being driven down the streets throwing handfuls of money to the wind until there is none left.

Yep, yep, yep, gonna go broke.

Ronnie316

$152 million

- $29,000.00+ child support

-$ peoples rent

-new cars for family's & friends

-?????????

the list will go on and on check back next monthLOL

@ $20k per car he has enough for 7600 cars.

sully16's avatarsully16

I have a feeling he will make everyone stand in a single file line to receive $10. and they will get tired of standing in line and quit coming over to his house.

They won't, that poor man will be hounded to the ends of the Earth, by every leech who thinks they deserve is money, or worse by those who think they can con it out of him.

How many of these stories do we have to read before it sinks in, if you win a big chunk, keep you mouth shut.

They won't, that poor man will be hounded to the ends of the Earth, by every leech who thinks they deserve is money, or worse by those who think they can con it out of him.

How many of these stories do we have to read before it sinks in, if you win a big chunk, keep you mouth shut.

Amen. And if you want to give a large amount to charity, do it but do it quietly and in a thought out manner.

Ronnie316

Amen. And if you want to give a large amount to charity, do it but do it quietly and in a thought out manner.

All I can say is that I hope it works out for Pedro, because I think I would do the same thing.

sully16's avatarsully16

There was this little sparrow, who was standing on the ground freezing to death, and a cow came along , and Said " what wrong little sparrow? ' the sparrow explained he was cold, so the cow took a big dump on him.

Now the sparrow was squaking how he was covered in cow dung, and a wolf came along, and the wolf said " whats wrong little sparrow ? , Little sparrow explained that a cow crapped on him, so the wolf picked him out of the crap and shook him off, then ate him.

And the moral of the story, is not everyone who craps on you is your enemy, and not everyone who gets you out of crap is your friend

And if your warm and safe, keep your F&&&&ing mouth shut.

Ronnie316

How can you be "hounded to the ends of the earth" if your not running and not hiding?

sully16's avatarsully16

How can you be "hounded to the ends of the earth" if your not running and not hiding?

It's a figure of speech, everyone will have their hand out, what's he supposed to do, give it to everyone with a sob story ?, thats the whole world.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Mar 31, 2013

I've read posts of LP members who said they would do something similar if they ever won a lottery jackpot, only difference was they were talking about money they hadn't won and probably would never win.

Ronnie316

It's a figure of speech, everyone will have their hand out, what's he supposed to do, give it to everyone with a sob story ?, thats the whole world.

Perhaps a security guard to keep people off his property would be sufficient?

Yea no kidding.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 31, 2013

I've read posts of LP members who said they would do something similar if they ever won a lottery jackpot, only difference was they were talking about money they hadn't won and probably would never win.

I Agree!

you know his family and friends are gonna have lame brain ideas of how to stop working their jobs and own their own business so there will go another chunk of $$$$$$No Pity!

Ronnie316

Yea no kidding.

Green laugh Have a good night and Happy Easter everyone. I wish the best for Pedro and his family.

Bed

sully16's avatarsully16

Perhaps a security guard to keep people off his property would be sufficient?

Really? Your reaching

Ronnie316

you know his family and friends are gonna have lame brain ideas of how to stop working their jobs and own their own business so there will go another chunk of $$$$$$No Pity!

God bless Pedro. Yes Nod

I have found in my conversations with people who play the lottery that most of them are not as educated in the  correct ways to behave when they win the lottery. 

They don't read the articles or comments on LP or USA Mega and most don't have a plan of how or what to do if they win. They just play without any real expectations of winning. None of the people I have spoken to in my travels know anything about this site or believe they will actually win. 

I, on the other hand, foolishly think I might win someday and henceforth have learned from this forum what to do and what not to do in case I win. 

All you need to be filthy rich is a $1.00 and a dream and if you're not prepared, it can turn into a nightmare.

If a person loses it all then I hope they had a good time spending it. God Bless them and watch over them.

If they invested it wisely and didn't let people take advantage of them then they were of that mind from the get go and God Bless them too.

sully16's avatarsully16

I agree, even charities will hound you.

God bless Pedro. Yes Nod

he already did, now he needs to learn how to handle the blessings Blue Angel

sully16's avatarsully16

Can see it now, the soup on a stick, get rich quick dream.

alternately, he will hire them to be his bodyguards, maids, chaufers, butlers, etc. instead of hiring professionals.  THey will rob him blind.

There was this little sparrow, who was standing on the ground freezing to death, and a cow came along , and Said " what wrong little sparrow? ' the sparrow explained he was cold, so the cow took a big dump on him.

Now the sparrow was squaking how he was covered in cow dung, and a wolf came along, and the wolf said " whats wrong little sparrow ? , Little sparrow explained that a cow crapped on him, so the wolf picked him out of the crap and shook him off, then ate him.

And the moral of the story, is not everyone who craps on you is your enemy, and not everyone who gets you out of crap is your friend

And if your warm and safe, keep your F&&&&ing mouth shut.

LOL!! Very good Sully!!

lele100

he already did, now he needs to learn how to handle the blessings Blue Angel

I Agree!

Last week Jennifer Maldonado was to receive something from an office pool that won only $1M and people thought it was cool. Nobody criticized her office colleagues for their generosity. Today Pedro Quezada, who is walking home with $152M, is getting castigated for promising two months rent for his neighbors. I am still trying to understand this.

my guess is he hasn't seeked financial advice because i doubt they would have told him sure go pay everyone's rent for 3-4 months...lol

and you know it wont stop there them people will be like i need help another  few months just until we get on our feet and by the way can you spare some money for food, light bill, gas for the car...Green laugh

I Agree!

i was thinking i need to go to jersey Hurray!

I agree, even charities will hound you.

I gave a couple boxes of crap to ARC once, and now they won't leave me alone!  They call a few times a month, telling me they'll be in my neighborhood picking stuff up.  I asked and asked and asked to be taken off the call list, that I'd call them or drop it off if I had something.

So now they hounded me and made me mad, they get nothing.   I found another charity who wants my old crap, and has never rang my phone even once.

Last week Jennifer Maldonado was to receive something from an office pool that won only $1M and people thought it was cool. Nobody criticized her office colleagues for their generosity. Today Pedro Quezada, who is walking home with $152M, is getting castigated for promising two months rent for his neighbors. I am still trying to understand this.

Good point maringo!

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

Your very right, Look at all the stories here on people who lost it all, ended up dead or in jail, on the streets,

He's Mr. Big shot now flapping is mouth off, paying rent for 2 months, really nice gesture, but somewhere, there is someone formulating a plan to get the lions share, there's a dee dee moore waiting in the shadow, 2 months of rent will turn into , we need a car, we need braces, we need a new tv, once he starts the free train, it will just gain speed, a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree....and was just thinking about the Dee Dee's out there.....he may already have a "Dee Dee"...he better stay away from driveways.....!!!

sully16's avatarsully16

It's nice that he wants to help, it's not realistic, he'll be used by many, to many of these stories, they all end up with the lottery winner being broke, or being hounded.

Quote: Originally posted by beaudad on Mar 31, 2013

I agree....and was just thinking about the Dee Dee's out there.....he may already have a "Dee Dee"...he better stay away from driveways.....!!!

I have a feeling he is going to drop a ton on ladies.  He just looks like he would frequent the local strip clubs.

big difference between GIVE & TAKE Yes Nod

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 31, 2013

Good point maringo!

Society seems to be tougher on men. Its not a cry me a river episode. Its just what it is.

big difference between GIVE & TAKE Yes Nod

haha   helpmewin

mr hit$

I agree with you sully16

I was born in raised in Detroit myself and my last address before I moved up here to the Waterford area was on 7 mile and evergreen. my family still stays down in the hood.

and most of the other post, I only hope the best for him and his family but it doesn't look good this guy is to quick to speak and slow to think first, he should have waited and got a good financial advisor first and went somewhere where he could think in private for a few days or more then maybe after he took care of his past debts child support etc. set up trust for his kids and made some wise low risk investments and then go back to the hood and quietly help out your true friends with a one time $gift and then move on start a new life and if you want to help more people set up a non profit.

I hope Michigan votes to let players go anonymous if not I will be wearing a mask at the press conference and i wont say much if anything at all when i win big.

It's nice that he wants to help, it's not realistic, he'll be used by many, to many of these stories, they all end up with the lottery winner being broke, or being hounded.

I understand the addiction to be a sugar daddy can be strong and overpowering  but based on the article we cannot assume his first gesture of generosity is a sign he's gonna open the floodgates.  Or can we? What?

I wouldn't characterize it as castigation.  More a warning.  We've seen over and over again, winners who want to help everyone.  A year or five down the road, those are the ones who are broke and have no friends.  I absolutely hate seeing that happen to well-meaning people.

I definitely think it's a good thing when winners want to help others, but they've gotta realize that there is a bottom in that bucket of money.  If they think they can help everyone, and keep giving to those who come back with their hands out, they're in for a big surprise.  Heck even Bill Gates and that other guy (can never remember his name) pooled their extra billions into a charity worth over 50 billion.  Even they have to choose just a few causes to give to, because they can't afford to help everyone.

sully16's avatarsully16

Society seems to be tougher on men. Its not a cry me a river episode. Its just what it is.

You could be right, we've seen to many of the I am going to help everyone and it turns to disaster, I hope he gets a financial advisor who teaches him to be quiet.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I gave a couple boxes of crap to ARC once, and now they won't leave me alone!  They call a few times a month, telling me they'll be in my neighborhood picking stuff up.  I asked and asked and asked to be taken off the call list, that I'd call them or drop it off if I had something.

So now they hounded me and made me mad, they get nothing.   I found another charity who wants my old crap, and has never rang my phone even once.

I get calls every year from different groups I've never heard of asking if they can depend on me to be as generous this year as I was last year and I always tell them they are confusing me with someone else because I don't roll that way.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

I Agree!

sully16's avatarsully16

I wouldn't characterize it as castigation.  More a warning.  We've seen over and over again, winners who want to help everyone.  A year or five down the road, those are the ones who are broke and have no friends.  I absolutely hate seeing that happen to well-meaning people.

I definitely think it's a good thing when winners want to help others, but they've gotta realize that there is a bottom in that bucket of money.  If they think they can help everyone, and keep giving to those who come back with their hands out, they're in for a big surprise.  Heck even Bill Gates and that other guy (can never remember his name) pooled their extra billions into a charity worth over 50 billion.  Even they have to choose just a few causes to give to, because they can't afford to help everyone.

Yep, I agree with that.

sully16's avatarsully16

I understand the addiction to be a sugar daddy can be strong and overpowering  but based on the article we cannot assume his first gesture of generosity is a sign he's gonna open the floodgates.  Or can we? What?

Let's hope he gets good sound advice

Pedro be my future baby daddy!

I Agree! I really hope he seeks financial advice QUICKLY.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by mr hit$ on Mar 31, 2013

I agree with you sully16

I was born in raised in Detroit myself and my last address before I moved up here to the Waterford area was on 7 mile and evergreen. my family still stays down in the hood.

and most of the other post, I only hope the best for him and his family but it doesn't look good this guy is to quick to speak and slow to think first, he should have waited and got a good financial advisor first and went somewhere where he could think in private for a few days or more then maybe after he took care of his past debts child support etc. set up trust for his kids and made some wise low risk investments and then go back to the hood and quietly help out your true friends with a one time $gift and then move on start a new life and if you want to help more people set up a non profit.

I hope Michigan votes to let players go anonymous if not I will be wearing a mask at the press conference and i wont say much if anything at all when i win big.

I guess from our neck of the woods, we keep quiet, good luck to you.

he don't pay child support you have to track him down LOL

Quote: Originally posted by lele100 on Mar 31, 2013

The size of his heart will be his downfall, if he does not put a cap on it. 

I Agree!

he don't pay child support you have to track him down LOL

lol lol

lol lol

he has 5 kids i guess 1 more won't make a difference Party

he has 5 kids i guess 1 more won't make a difference Party

1 more??? I am planning on 5--100,000 for each per month! Private schools of course.

Wait...... LP has a FB page?

Lol yes

1 more??? I am planning on 5--100,000 for each per month! Private schools of course.

oh yeah i like the way your thinking Hurray!

Good point Artist, hopefully he will seek legal advice before proceeding with this kind act.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

i wonder if he could send money to my cousin and brother. they aren't well off but i can't do it anymore.

VenomV12

There was another lottery winner that was overly generous like Pedro, his name was Abraham Shakespeare, perhaps people should ask him how to deal with all of this and how it worked out, oh that's right you can't, he is dead, he was killed and his money stolen by one of the people he befriended and tried to help. 

The problem with Pedro's strategy is that you can give someone $1000 and they think they deserve $10,000, you can give them $10,000 and they think they deserve $100,000. It never ends. Kids will fight, exes, cousins, parents, it will be endless. The casinos, drug dealers and girlfriends will take the rest. 

The sad reality is that you need to make people work for the money you give them or they will never appreciate it or you and they will bleed you dry. 

Gopher701

I hope he finds someone who takes a reasonable fee for his services (maybe a little more) but still works hard to make a safe and good return for Quezada. If he returns to the DR his security costs alone will take a good chunk of his money plus all his new friends. There is little hope the money will make his happy. He can always call West Virginia Jack W.

Again the big winner in the Powerball games will be the IRS.

sully16's avatarsully16

You can change your avatar to pedrobabymama77

mr hit$

I guess from our neck of the woods, we keep quiet, good luck to you.

thanks sully16

good luck to you also. 

I don't always log in but I follow the 3 and 4 digit post everyday.

just because you have known someone from the hood for years that doesn't make them your friends and when money millions of dollars are in involved with people who have struggled all their lives it's hard to know who to trust so the best thing is to move seek wise advise and stay low key.

OMG!  good idea!

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Mar 31, 2013

Good point Artist, hopefully he will seek legal advice before proceeding with this kind act.

Good point indeed, everyone in the vicinity will want some, how about the ones who want cash instead of having their rent paid?

he should seriosly work out how much he will have as income before  declaring expenditure. thers also a big fat tax bill coming his way.  what is interes rates in usa %2 ? thats 20k per mill. maybe 2 million a year if he banks 100! and with FDIC only insures $250k per account, i dont think theres enough banks in america.

sully16's avatarsully16

thanks sully16

good luck to you also. 

I don't always log in but I follow the 3 and 4 digit post everyday.

just because you have known someone from the hood for years that doesn't make them your friends and when money millions of dollars are in involved with people who have struggled all their lives it's hard to know who to trust so the best thing is to move seek wise advise and stay low key.

Yep, win big and stay low.

sully16's avatarsully16

OMG!  good idea!

hehehehe, got to go, the season finally of the 'WALKING DEAD",  love them zombies.

There was another lottery winner that was overly generous like Pedro, his name was Abraham Shakespeare, perhaps people should ask him how to deal with all of this and how it worked out, oh that's right you can't, he is dead, he was killed and his money stolen by one of the people he befriended and tried to help. 

The problem with Pedro's strategy is that you can give someone $1000 and they think they deserve $10,000, you can give them $10,000 and they think they deserve $100,000. It never ends. Kids will fight, exes, cousins, parents, it will be endless. The casinos, drug dealers and girlfriends will take the rest. 

The sad reality is that you need to make people work for the money you give them or they will never appreciate it or you and they will bleed you dry. 

I Agree! that was sad or they might drug him like JW. if he drinks they will put it in his drink.

or people will be sueing him for just any ole thing 

mr hit$

hehehehe, got to go, the season finally of the 'WALKING DEAD",  love them zombies.

once again sully16

I agree gotta go Walking Dead is coming on and Game of Thrones tonight.

you got good taste in numbers and tv shows.

Lol Green laugh

once again sully16

Don't forget The Bible finale.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Mar 31, 2013

Don't forget The Bible finale.

Watching that now. I was kind of unimpressed when it started (It was the Moses guy...he had too big of shoes to fill...lol) but the rest has been spectacular!

gogidolim

If I was him I'd say "I can't promise anything.", then create a charity foundation for veterans in the back.

mr hit$

Watching that now. I was kind of unimpressed when it started (It was the Moses guy...he had too big of shoes to fill...lol) but the rest has been spectacular!

I'm dvring the Bible,Walking Dead first then Game of Thrones. lot of cool people on lottery post.

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrey on Mar 31, 2013

i wonder if he could send money to my cousin and brother. they aren't well off but i can't do it anymore.

Green laugh

I'm dvring the Bible,Walking Dead first then Game of Thrones. lot of cool people on lottery post.

Hooked on Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and American Horror Story: Asylum here.  I missed one episode of AHSA the first time around so I had to stop until they re aired it...grrr...

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Have you ever wondered how Bill Gates handles endless request of money from people with sob stories?

rocky57

wonderful, does anyone wonder how new jersey has a winner for almost every drawing?   hmmmmmmmmmm

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on Mar 31, 2013

Have you ever wondered how Bill Gates handles endless request of money from people with sob stories?

That's why you have a lawyer and accountant as a buffer.  Both of mine are known as total bulldogs in this city and if I ever won they would be more than happy to say that they have both have my hands tied on what I can or cannot do.  As soon as I mentioned either of their names the matter would be dropped instantly because they know it would do not good to sob to either one of them!

As far as Bill Gates goes, they have the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation for charitable donations.  They have given computers to the library in our city.  Very nice organization.  But i'm sure they have very little hands on involvement, thusly do not hear many sob stories.

Lol same here Artist it didn't help that The Ten Commandments came on last night either.

AND I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU A VPER V12 IF I WON, 

but now i see it would be bad, i'll have to let you work fir it.

VenomV12

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Mar 31, 2013

AND I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU A VPER V12 IF I WON, 

but now i see it would be bad, i'll have to let you work fir it.

I have an S63, if I wanted a Viper I would buy one. My father had one anyway when I was in undergrad. Wink

I have an S63, if I wanted a Viper I would buy one. My father had one anyway when I was in undergrad. Wink

well i was only pullin ya leg, all i promise pweople is a postcard from my  latest holiday destination.

tastylovebug's avatartastylovebug

i mean really dude, he would be the one to win....go somewhere and sit down....i can't believe his actions....yes he will be broke...in 1 year...simply amazing...i would have relocated by now....and went into hiding......

noise-gate

There is a difference between Pedro & Shakespeare.  The latter had an IQ of a 8 year old and that is why he was taken advantage of and eventually killed for his money.Pedro owned a bogeda and knows the value of money, or so he would have us believe. After all he withheld child support for awhile, probably borrowing from Peter to pay Paul to stay afloat,  who knows.Pedro may well learn from the lessons of other lottery winners who ended up broke. All we can as observers do is  wish & hope him the best. What goes around comes around, l would like to think that if any who visit this forum became major jackpot winners- we would be wishing him & her the same- All the best.
Live & let live.

dognabit

once again sully16

I'm buying myself a sweet crossbow when I win.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I Agree! Great show. Seemed like there were commercials every 5 minutes though. It'd be a lot better watching it on the DVD.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Pay their rent? Looks like the State will be getting a break for a couple months. He's better off giving it to st.judes or the aspca.

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Once you win .....How long does it take before you get your first check ???

You need a plan (written down ) to what you're going to do with your money .

Hire a Tax Lawyer , Financial Advisor and CPA ........Take a picture of your

ticket , sign the back of it , take it to a safe deposit box , Never tell anyone

you won and never make promises . Overall it takes months to get your finances

in order . Do alot of research too . Those people who never been rich before will

more likely lose there money if they don't plan it right . Becareful people will try and

sue you for $$$$$ you can fix that if you speak with your lawyer about it ..

dognabit

Quote: Originally posted by brees2012 on Mar 31, 2013

Once you win .....How long does it take before you get your first check ???

You need a plan (written down ) to what you're going to do with your money .

Hire a Tax Lawyer , Financial Advisor and CPA ........Take a picture of your

ticket , sign the back of it , take it to a safe deposit box , Never tell anyone

you won and never make promises . Overall it takes months to get your finances

in order . Do alot of research too . Those people who never been rich before will

more likely lose there money if they don't plan it right . Becareful people will try and

sue you for $$$$$ you can fix that if you speak with your lawyer about it ..

From what I've read, it takes about two weeks before you get your check.

But, I highly doubt you'd have any problem getting a bank to front you a little money.

Thought they will give you a check once you turn in your ticket ....guess they don't . This was the part I wasn't sure about.

I know it took approx 2 or 3 week for all the recieve to get to the lotto office .  With that amount of money this man is recieving , he really needs to get things in order .   The different between me and this powerball winner , I have a plan and know basicly what to do with the money , and I don't make promises to anyone . Plus I want my money to last
for over 30 - 60 years or longer . Live off the interest ..... I see things differently with the lottery . 

WE will NOT hear the last of this new powerball winner ...  Once you give out $$$$$$$ the people will continue asking and asking .........he was better off NOT telling anyone ...

He will learn the hard way.....He didn't have a plan from the beginning ......

DamGod

The only reason he won because he didn't have a plan and existence is using him to share the winning......those smart ones with plans will most probably NEVER win!!

jackpotismine's avatarjackpotismine

He's going to be broke if he keeps it up. Better get a financial planner. I can see all his ‘friends' saying: "Hey bro, can you lend me...?"

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Every time I read an article about advice from financial advisers for lottery winners they say there's no problem with using 10% to indulge yourself  right off the bat.  I think this guy is a bit too vocal about some of his plans, but if he pays $1500 rent for 100 people for 2 months it comes to $300k. If he hands out another $700k he'll still be a good $12 to $14 million shy of  blowing through 10%. It's also worth noting that he's not just giving money to a bunch of random strangers. Most of these people are probably people who supported him in the past by coming into his store and spending their money.

He can burn through $200,000 every week for 10 years and still have at least $20 or $30 million left.  That's alot of time to figure things oput and improve your decision making.

It's far too early to have an honest idea of how this guy will do in the long run.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Mar 31, 2013

"He said he's going to pay the rent for everybody here ..."

I think President Lyndon Johnson tried this. Food, too.
Anyone recall how it turned out? Wink
Thinking of...

Will be interesting if the IRS decides to count the rent payment as taxable income and then hit everyone up for it. LOL

Yeah. If only the IRS had rules about gifts of less than $13,000 per person per year maybe we'd have an idea how that will work out.

Factorem's avatarFactorem

To help LP readers better understand where Pedro and his actions are coming from, I would encourage members to read this article from the BBC about “A South American footballer playing in the English Premiership is spending his high salary not on fast cars and big houses, but on rebuilding an entire community where he grew up.

”Ecuadorean footballer rebuilds village
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6302665.stm

Pedro lives, works, belongs to, and claims belonging with pride to a Latin community much like the one he left behind on the island. These communities often function like one giant extended family to the extents that after 2-1/2 decades of living in predominantly English Speaking USA, Pedro still uses Spanish as his primary language of communication to the extents that he answered the questions that were posed to him, in English and Spanish, at the press conference, all in Spanish.

The victories and failings of the community or village's sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, and children collectively, are seen as that of the community or village. A child's good report card is appreciated by those who are outside of its immediate family equally and alike, but are at large members of the community in which the child lives.

Pedro's win has placed his hometown of Passaic, N.J , front and center and zoomed in on, on the map of the USA and map of the world for anyone else out there, that may be paying attention to US lotteries.

Pedro's victorious win is without question a victory for the community where Pedro lives . This is not to say that the win belongs to the community members equally. If Pedro had done something terribly bad, it will be perceived as demoting of the Community image.
Much like the Ecuadorian footballer that plays in the English league, there is a shared link that Pedro has in common, which is to share with his people, the people that he belongs to, and calls his neighbours with some of his winnings.

It is common in many traditions that when a good thing like improved wealth befalls a person, that,  he or she grants gifts of money to immediate neighbours, children and most especially to the less privileged, and generally helps out with finances to address and resolve neighbourhood needs that had been outstanding from lack of money.
I know this with certainty, because that is the way it is in the culture where I was born and grew up in.

This tradition is such that the day that Pedro takes his last breath, it is his community that will claim him and bury him, like they would do for one another. He came here 26 years ago, and chose to live with his own, and serve them, and related to them just like he was raised to do back home on the Islands

Pedro's win is a resolution and settlement that was done in his favor by both faith and fate, and perhaps Pedro knows it, and understands the meaning of the superior event that created the win for him, and the cleasing need to atone for wealth created from fundamentally dashed hopes, and regardless, share with others, by beginning at home, in line with the old human saying that 'Charity begins at home"

So let us all support Pedro in the spirit that he may extend his win as best as he can,  to  those around him that could use a helping hand to resolve problems that may have weighted them down for too long in thier lives.

Kumo's avatarKumo

So far he is not getting off to a good start. Roll Eyes Even if this was only a one time deal. Pedro just opened the door for more people to stick their hands out and saying no will become even harder from here on out.

If he really wants to give back to his local community, do something useful and lasting rather than giving out instant gratification freebees.

-Buy the local volunteer fire department a new truck and a new ambulance.

-Buy the local emergency clinic new equipment. 

-Set up a scholarship fund for local youths who excel in their studies.

-Spruce up the local park with new playground equipment, bbq grills and picnic tables.

-Open up a local business, which translates into more jobs, the neighbors will respect him far more because of it.

-Invest the rest, so he can continue to make charitable donations year after year. (Look at the millions Romney gives away and his wealth continues to grow each year from his investments.)

I'd like to see him buck the trend of lottery winners losing everything, but all evidence points to that it ain't going to happen.

eJJo

Wow, really?! How he spends his money from here on out is his business. I'm sure he's not going broke in a few yrs. like many on here would like to see happen or whatnot... even if he does, so what? But, I doubt it... the guy has worked hard until now & even had his own business; surely, he knows the value of a dollar.

Personally, if it was me & I'm going to go out of my way to help my neighbors get their rent paid for (entire block), I'd at least pay for 6 months or the rest of this yr. It's still nice that he's giving them something, so it's a good gesture anyway you look at it. Since he showed up right away to claim his prize & be publicly known as the lucky winner, some see this as the wrong way to go about managing his windfall & others feel like maybe he's not giving/helping enough. Either way, it's great that he's in a position to be able to afford to do things that many can only dream of... actually, it's be a healthy thing to take 3-5% of it & spend it however he likes & be done with it (hopefully, helping those in need as much as giving it away). The rest can be managed/used responsibly for the rest of his lifetime when handled corretly so his children & grandchildren can live off of it comfortably.

Let the guy be... it's his decision/money/responsiblilty to do how he sees fit. All of us have our own lives to deal with, why get all worked up over someone's else good fortune Sleepy

billionaire2bee

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Apr 1, 2013

Yeah. If only the IRS had rules about gifts of less than $13,000 per person per year maybe we'd have an idea how that will work out.

Why would he even give it to the people anyway??? To make sure the landlord gets it....give it to the landlord in individual names of each tenant

mrylndw's avatarmrylndw

I'd be more impressed if he had said he would set up education funds for those five kids of his...Jester

I agree with you said . I know people who's Rich and one of the person who helps the community in my old town all the time .  He's donating thousands of dollars yearly to the school district , fire dept , and much more . That's the way people should donate to those in your town . 

If I won that huge amount of money , I would donate to my town , school district , fire department , park , whatever the town needs , plus I would donate to vets who were in the military , there's a site where they recieve money and there's no CEO who makes Millions , the money goes directly to those who needs it .

Oh I will have lawyers and others helping with this , I would never do this alone . I have family to help , so other words my money will help many people , but in a different way . Trust funds , College funds , and much more .

My old town it's all being taken care like I said above , the doctor in that town he's provided so much to that town for years , he's not selfish that's for sure . 

I know what I would do to help others.....

Agree 100%.............

Education expensive , he can afford to help his own children and nieces , nephew etc...

Called 529 if he wants to go that route ....College isn't cheap that's for sure especially

when you're from out of state .. I know many 20's something in college and daily , I hear

how hard the classes are and the cost of college ( books etcccc ) .

Quote: Originally posted by dognabit on Mar 31, 2013

From what I've read, it takes about two weeks before you get your check.

But, I highly doubt you'd have any problem getting a bank to front you a little money.

This is also something people don't know:  When we recieved life insurance checks our bank would only release to us $200 the next day, then $5000 a few days later, then the full amount in 2 weeks.  and that is from checks drawn on Alfa and Liberty Mutual so it's not like it was some fly by night company. 

Hopefully the lottery will do a wire transfer, that is your best route

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Oh, good thing most of the employers aren't tough. Conehead

Perhaps Pedro's lawyer's plan will work, and this afternoon, the Judge of Pedro's '4 years back child support payments' case hearing will not jail, fine, or do anything against Pedro [after learning that in about 2 months, Pedro will be paying 1 month of his block's neighbor's rent AND the back child support will also be paid within 6 weeks to 2 months time].

Idea

If Pedro actually does end up paying 1 month of rent for all of the tenants, in the four or so nearby buildings on his residence's block, that will be a thrilling experience (I do hope that each of those tenants is smart enough to take their saved rent monies for the month and add to or create their own emergency fund). 

I found it amusing that Pedro's landlord (or a different landlord on his block) likened his building's monthly mortgage payment to being a "rent payment."  Rather, each landlord on Pedro's block should be ecstatic if Pedro pays for the rent of every unit in their building (including the vacant ones)!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 1, 2013

Perhaps Pedro's lawyer's plan will work, and this afternoon, the Judge of Pedro's '4 years back child support payments' case hearing will not jail, fine, or do anything against Pedro [after learning that in about 2 months, Pedro will be paying 1 month of his block's neighbor's rent AND the back child support will also be paid within 6 weeks to 2 months time].

Idea

If Pedro actually does end up paying 1 month of rent for all of the tenants, in the four or so nearby buildings on his residence's block, that will be a thrilling experience (I do hope that each of those tenants is smart enough to take their saved rent monies for the month and add to or create their own emergency fund). 

I found it amusing that Pedro's landlord (or a different landlord on his block) likened his building's monthly mortgage payment to being a "rent payment."  Rather, each landlord on Pedro's block should be ecstatic if Pedro pays for the rent of every unit in their building (including the vacant ones)!

I'm guessing "their saved rent monies" will be used to buy lottery tickets. 

Gleno's avatarGleno

The common knowledge is that most big lottery winners lose their fortunes in five years. He will probably be no different. Hope he sets up an education trust fund for all his children.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Mar 31, 2013

he should seriosly work out how much he will have as income before  declaring expenditure. thers also a big fat tax bill coming his way.  what is interes rates in usa %2 ? thats 20k per mill. maybe 2 million a year if he banks 100! and with FDIC only insures $250k per account, i dont think theres enough banks in america.

2%?  I wish!  More like 0.1%! As for FDIC insurance, you can purchase more if you want to. With a deposit that large, the bank might even purchase it for you.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on Mar 31, 2013

He probably wrote some type of computer program to go through those requests!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Apr 1, 2013

The common knowledge is that most big lottery winners lose their fortunes in five years. He will probably be no different. Hope he sets up an education trust fund for all his children.

Say it ain't so.

Quote: Originally posted by Factorem on Apr 1, 2013

To help LP readers better understand where Pedro and his actions are coming from, I would encourage members to read this article from the BBC about “A South American footballer playing in the English Premiership is spending his high salary not on fast cars and big houses, but on rebuilding an entire community where he grew up.

Pedro lives, works, belongs to, and claims belonging with pride to a Latin community much like the one he left behind on the island. These communities often function like one giant extended family to the extents that after 2-1/2 decades of living in predominantly English Speaking USA, Pedro still uses Spanish as his primary language of communication to the extents that he answered the questions that were posed to him, in English and Spanish, at the press conference, all in Spanish.

The victories and failings of the community or village's sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, and children collectively, are seen as that of the community or village. A child's good report card is appreciated by those who are outside of its immediate family equally and alike, but are at large members of the community in which the child lives.

Pedro's win has placed his hometown of Passaic, N.J , front and center and zoomed in on, on the map of the USA and map of the world for anyone else out there, that may be paying attention to US lotteries.

Pedro's victorious win is without question a victory for the community where Pedro lives . This is not to say that the win belongs to the community members equally. If Pedro had done something terribly bad, it will be perceived as demoting of the Community image.
Much like the Ecuadorian footballer that plays in the English league, there is a shared link that Pedro has in common, which is to share with his people, the people that he belongs to, and calls his neighbours with some of his winnings.

It is common in many traditions that when a good thing like improved wealth befalls a person, that,  he or she grants gifts of money to immediate neighbours, children and most especially to the less privileged, and generally helps out with finances to address and resolve neighbourhood needs that had been outstanding from lack of money.
I know this with certainty, because that is the way it is in the culture where I was born and grew up in.

This tradition is such that the day that Pedro takes his last breath, it is his community that will claim him and bury him, like they would do for one another. He came here 26 years ago, and chose to live with his own, and serve them, and related to them just like he was raised to do back home on the Islands

Pedro's win is a resolution and settlement that was done in his favor by both faith and fate, and perhaps Pedro knows it, and understands the meaning of the superior event that created the win for him, and the cleasing need to atone for wealth created from fundamentally dashed hopes, and regardless, share with others, by beginning at home, in line with the old human saying that 'Charity begins at home"

So let us all support Pedro in the spirit that he may extend his win as best as he can,  to  those around him that could use a helping hand to resolve problems that may have weighted them down for too long in thier lives.

Good job Factorem. I agree with you.

You go Pedro! I ain't hatin. 

Pedro Quezada

Quote: Originally posted by Factorem on Apr 1, 2013

while that's a heart warming read, it doesn't matter where he is coming from emotionally or physically, he won the money in the USA.  Unless he educates himself on US tax laws or hires someone to advise him this is going to spiral out of control very quickly.  It's a very slippery slope. I mean look at Arethra Franklin she just got hit with a huge tax lein and she's been handling her fame and fortune for, what, close to 40 years now?

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 31, 2013

I have found in my conversations with people who play the lottery that most of them are not as educated in the  correct ways to behave when they win the lottery. 

They don't read the articles or comments on LP or USA Mega and most don't have a plan of how or what to do if they win. They just play without any real expectations of winning. None of the people I have spoken to in my travels know anything about this site or believe they will actually win. 

I, on the other hand, foolishly think I might win someday and henceforth have learned from this forum what to do and what not to do in case I win. 

All you need to be filthy rich is a $1.00 and a dream and if you're not prepared, it can turn into a nightmare.

If a person loses it all then I hope they had a good time spending it. God Bless them and watch over them.

If they invested it wisely and didn't let people take advantage of them then they were of that mind from the get go and God Bless them too.

I am also a fool like you.  I believe I will win someday too.  I think we are just optimists.  I just hope the big win is sooner rather than later.  I want to be able to enjoy the win, and I have definite plans on the money.   Every jackpot winner needs to have a plan, or it's a recipe for disaster. 

I'm not going to blow the money away.  I will live below my means.  And, I know how to say"NO."  Or to some people, "HELL NO!"   LOL

Seattlejohn

I hate to say it, but he's already making mistakes that winners who lost their entire fortunes have made.  Apparently, he hasn't gotten a financial planner yet & is already shelling out big money to pay the bills of those around him.  I hope I'm wrong & he's able to hold onto his money, but we've seen this time & time again; the name Jack Whittaker comes to mind...

Quote: Originally posted by Seattlejohn on Apr 1, 2013

I hate to say it, but he's already making mistakes that winners who lost their entire fortunes have made.  Apparently, he hasn't gotten a financial planner yet & is already shelling out big money to pay the bills of those around him.  I hope I'm wrong & he's able to hold onto his money, but we've seen this time & time again; the name Jack Whittaker comes to mind...

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on Apr 1, 2013

2%?  I wish!  More like 0.1%! As for FDIC insurance, you can purchase more if you want to. With a deposit that large, the bank might even purchase it for you.

yeah i put %2 as a hopefull amount, but the point is that in a  " safe"  savings plan the return is next to nothing. he should plan on that being his income.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

If we're all here to help others what are the others here for?

- Stephen Wright

Sorry, coudn't resist.

Seriously though, he should have put a little more thought into doing something like saying he'll pay the rent for the whole block.

I'm sure many people here can think of numerous examples of the old adage "no good deed goes unpunsihed."

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Seattlejohn on Apr 1, 2013

You could be wrong. Jack handed out $1000+ per week for dope habits. I dont think Pedro will do that.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Apr 1, 2013

If we're all here to help others what are the others here for?

- Stephen Wright

Sorry, coudn't resist.

Seriously though, he should have put a little more thought into doing something like saying he'll pay the rent for the whole block.

I'm sure many people here can think of numerous examples of the old adage "no good deed goes unpunsihed."

The others are here to suck the life out of those who are here to help others What?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Apr 1, 2013

yeah i put %2 as a hopefull amount, but the point is that in a  " safe"  savings plan the return is next to nothing. he should plan on that being his income.

I'm sure some laddered bonds would do just fine.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 1, 2013

I Agree!

Thumbs Down

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 1, 2013

Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

I'm with the 2% here that have faith in humanity and a man who knows all too well the value of a dollar. He will do alright. When you have 153 MILLION, handing out 20-30k is a nickel to him. No harm no foul. And until ANy of you can seriously say you have the right to cast stones I highly advise handing out well wishes. The only statistic I'll agree with is this man has 100% good intentions and good will to aide others. So what if he isn't doing it YOUR way...I'm discouraged that those who DON"T have have the audacity to tell ANOTHER adult how to 'save" or "spend" his money. It is His and I wish him nothing but the best in living out his dreams.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Apr 1, 2013

I'm with the 2% here that have faith in humanity and a man who knows all too well the value of a dollar. He will do alright. When you have 153 MILLION, handing out 20-30k is a nickel to him. No harm no foul. And until ANy of you can seriously say you have the right to cast stones I highly advise handing out well wishes. The only statistic I'll agree with is this man has 100% good intentions and good will to aide others. So what if he isn't doing it YOUR way...I'm discouraged that those who DON"T have have the audacity to tell ANOTHER adult how to 'save" or "spend" his money. It is His and I wish him nothing but the best in living out his dreams.

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Thumbs Up

Wink

Wink

disapproval

the guy in the news said 44% people who win the lottery will be broke in 5 years.Yes Nod

Ronnie316

the guy in the news said 44% people who win the lottery will be broke in 5 years.Yes Nod

Thanks for the vid. Lets hope they at least have a house and a few toys left over when they go broke.

Thanks for the vid. Lets hope they at least have a house and a few toys left over when they go broke.

nod

Ronnie316

Blush

Ronnie316

$338M NJ Powerball winner pledges to pay rent for his entire block

4 members gave this topic an average rating of 5 out of 5

Member Rating
Power$ 5 stars
helpmewin 5 stars
sully16 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars
Ronnie316

God bless Pedro.Yes Nod

God bless Pedro.Yes Nod

I Agree!  5 Kids from 5 years old to 23 he needs his money

i would tell them friends i can't keep doing that.Let It All Out

Ronnie316

Paying a few peoples rent wont hurt. I say go ahead and pay it.

Paying a few peoples rent wont hurt. I say go ahead and pay it.

"He said he's going to pay the rent for everybody here on this block for at least a month or two months,"

the whole Block, he's a blockhead Bang Head

i'm glad i own my house and Not have to rent Hurray!

Ronnie316

"He said he's going to pay the rent for everybody here on this block for at least a month or two months,"

the whole Block, he's a blockhead Bang Head

i'm glad i own my house and Not have to rent Hurray!

No no no, no blockhead. If the block has 50 homes and they rent be $500. thats $50,000 for everything.

No no no, no blockhead. If the block has 50 homes and they rent be $500. thats $50,000 for everything.

okay fair enough Lovies

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

I don't think theres even 20 homes on that block.

Ronnie316

okay fair enough Lovies

Thumbs UpYes Nod Really. $150,000. would be 1/10th of 1% of his $150 million.

Ronnie316

Thumbs UpYes Nod Really. $150,000. would be 1/10th of 1% of his $150 million.

If he was planning on paying for a dope habit like Jack did, I would agree that he is a blockhead.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Apr 1, 2013

I don't think theres even 20 homes on that block.

Thats what Im sayin... How could he just walk away?

TylerD67

Just heard from Pedro's attorney that this is not true he never said he was paying people's rent.  Man I am praying for this guy he is really gonna need it.  But I got this bad feeling he is going to be one of those what not to do when you win the lottery winners. Just hope he doesn't end up broke.

SLOYAROLE

I'm not going to knock the guys good gesture to his block. He probably should have went about doing it a little more quietly. Also, from what I understand about the $13000 gift ceiling, the IRS has no dog in the fight on counting it as income for the recipients.

Quote: Originally posted by TylerD67 on Apr 1, 2013

Just heard from Pedro's attorney that this is not true he never said he was paying people's rent.  Man I am praying for this guy he is really gonna need it.  But I got this bad feeling he is going to be one of those what not to do when you win the lottery winners. Just hope he doesn't end up broke.

Tyler, do you have a link with the statement from the attorney?

SLOYAROLE

Quote: Originally posted by SLOYAROLE on Apr 1, 2013

I'm not going to knock the guys good gesture to his block. He probably should have went about doing it a little more quietly. Also, from what I understand about the $13000 gift ceiling, the IRS has no dog in the fight on counting it as income for the recipients.

I meant to type *dog in the hunt*

Seattlejohn

You could be wrong. Jack handed out $1000+ per week for dope habits. I dont think Pedro will do that.

I hope I'm wrong.  Given how hard it is to save money, I hate reading stories about lottery winners who throw it all away.  Guys like Jack Whittaker and Dave Edwards just piss me off...

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Apr 1, 2013

Good job Factorem. I agree with you.

Thank You golfer!

I am encouraged.

You are correct.

I have seen many, who themselvs are living on the margins, have little to nothing to show to their credit, yet helping to bear the hardships and crosses of others near to them as family or friends, at remarkable and most humbling degrees.

I once went out, when I was able to, and hired two guys who lived at a Group home, to help me do various work around my yard for the day. I agreed to pay each person by the hour. 

Shortly after the start of work, one of the guys felt sick and said that he could not continue to work. So, I had him sit down and rest comfortably, under my front porch, while his friend and I continued the work through the early afternoon.

Throughout the work, his  friend would stop frequently  to go and check on his friend.

At the end of the work day, I paid each worker,  according to the hours that each had worked, and an amazing thing happened. The gentleman that worked throughout, took his pay, split it up, and gave one part to the other, who quite early on, was unable to continue the work, and by no fault of his, and hence,  was unable to earn the expected total wage.

In short, he worked for himself and for his friend who was unable to work and to have earned as much.

Without any doubt in my mind, the men were disguised angels, with a packed message and model, for altruistic living even in the midst of apparent emptiness, and extreme lack.

CLETU$

Where did you go to school?Did they teach math,there?Apparently not.

Quote: Originally posted by TylerD67 on Apr 1, 2013

I was wondering how long it would take him to recant.  Or maybe this was just wishful thinking on someone's part that he would indeed pay rent for everyone.

someone prob told him to pay all their rent, then went to the media. and said he said he would.  leaving ot to pedro to extracite himself from the assumed gift.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Apr 2, 2013

Where did you go to school?Did they teach math,there?Apparently not.

Its an established fact that I never learned fundamental mathematics. But thanks for reminding me.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky4Life on Apr 2, 2013

I was wondering how long it would take him to recant.  Or maybe this was just wishful thinking on someone's part that he would indeed pay rent for everyone.

I was think they were all friends of his. Like people he borrowed a cup of suger from and where his kids played, and BBQs together. For all we know those people helped feed his kids in hard times.

Quote: Originally posted by rocky57 on Mar 31, 2013

wonderful, does anyone wonder how new jersey has a winner for almost every drawing?   hmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah I've noticed that too Rocky but I can't get a sniff at anything. I've won maybe $7.00 in the last 6-months between PB and MM.

New Jersey has been lucky lately. Here is what I come up with:

$211.7M Powerball 3/13/2010    Morris Plains, NJ cash

$70M Powerball 3/21/2012   Tinton Falls, NJ cash

$89M MegaMillions 1/25/2013   Orange, NJ cash

$338M Powerball 3/23/2013   Passaic, NJ cash

Plus we've had countless 2nd prize winners too. It seems that Powerball is kinder to NJ than MegaMillions but I play both.

Good luck Rocky and welcome to LP!

Quote: Originally posted by Factorem on Apr 2, 2013

You are correct.

I have seen many, who themselvs are living on the margins, have little to nothing to show to their credit, yet helping to bear the hardships and crosses of others near to them as family or friends, at remarkable and most humbling degrees.

I once went out, when I was able to, and hired two guys who lived at a Group home, to help me do various work around my yard for the day. I agreed to pay each person by the hour. 

Shortly after the start of work, one of the guys felt sick and said that he could not continue to work. So, I had him sit down and rest comfortably, under my front porch, while his friend and I continued the work through the early afternoon.

Throughout the work, his  friend would stop frequently  to go and check on his friend.

At the end of the work day, I paid each worker,  according to the hours that each had worked, and an amazing thing happened. The gentleman that worked throughout, took his pay, split it up, and gave one part to the other, who quite early on, was unable to continue the work, and by no fault of his, and hence,  was unable to earn the expected total wage.

In short, he worked for himself and for his friend who was unable to work and to have earned as much.

Without any doubt in my mind, the men were disguised angels, with a packed message and model, for altruistic living even in the midst of apparent emptiness, and extreme lack.

Great story Factor!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Apr 2, 2013

Great story Factor!

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by rocky57 on Mar 31, 2013

Winners play the lottery in New Jersey.

Quote: Originally posted by Factorem on Apr 2, 2013

You are correct.

Nice story FactoremBlue Angel, thanks for sharingThumbs Up

TylerD67

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Apr 1, 2013

Tyler, do you have a link with the statement from the attorney?

I tried to post a link and Lottery Post just warned me I can't do that. so look it up on the NY Post, they article is about Pedro's child support but if you keep reading his lawyer address the rumor that he would pay all his neighbors rent.  Pedro's Lawyer says that he never said he would do that.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by TylerD67 on Apr 2, 2013

I tried to post a link and Lottery Post just warned me I can't do that. so look it up on the NY Post, they article is about Pedro's child support but if you keep reading his lawyer address the rumor that he would pay all his neighbors rent.  Pedro's Lawyer says that he never said he would do that.

I think the Lawyer told Pedro, to tell him to say that. Sort of as a disclaimer. What?

Glad to hear he has all his children with him, I do wish him and his family the best.

Thanks for sharing the link helpmewinThumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by TylerD67 on Apr 2, 2013

Thanks will do.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Apr 2, 2013

Thanks will do.

Ronnie316

I think he should pay their rent anyway, if they ask him nicely.

Bless his heart.

Fernandez, who is also handling Quezada’s trust, said the now-retired deli owner from the Dominican Republican has other benevolent plans.

“He wants to set up a foundation for homeless children in the Dominican Republic and here.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/pedro_fixes_daddy_ue_xUldmve7SNcHj97Z5ikpiI

Ronnie316

Bless his heart.

Fernandez, who is also handling Quezada’s trust, said the now-retired deli owner from the Dominican Republican has other benevolent plans.

“He wants to set up a foundation for homeless children in the Dominican Republic and here.”

I Agree! God bless Pedro.

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 2, 2013

I think the Lawyer told Pedro, to tell him to say that. Sort of as a disclaimer. What?

I don't know sounds like the lawyer is doing all the talking now to protect PedroWhat?

"After the hearing, Fernandez dismissed rumors that Quezada had offered to pay his neighbors’ rent for a month or two."

“While his heart goes out to families in need,” Fernandez said, “his family comes first.”

I think he should pay their rent anyway, if they ask him nicely.

I don't think they will ever see him againWink

Ronnie316

That's a shame, I really thought he would do his poverty stricken neighbors a blessing.

That's a shame, I really thought he would do his poverty stricken neighbors a blessing.

Right now Pedro is only thinking about his family needs which is rightfully so. Now later on he may pay his old neighborhood a visit.

“While his heart goes out to families in need,” Fernandez said, “his family comes first.”

tnhope's avatartnhope

congrats!!!Wink

child support checkedSmash

friends okay checkedCheers

block party checkedParty

great guy checkedMail For You

Bless his heart.

Pedro Quezada and his lawyer's smartest 'final draft plan.'  Pedro can deduct his own contributions to this newly proposed children's charity, yet not paying any neighbor's rent for month, from his 2013+ Federal Income Taxes.

Cheers

This decision would probably be best for his family and his previous neighbors.

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 2, 2013

Pedro Quezada and his lawyer's smartest 'final draft plan.'  Pedro can deduct his own contributions to this newly proposed children's charity, yet not paying any neighbor's rent for month, from his 2013+ Federal Income Taxes.

Cheers

Thumbs Up

LP Administrator, Todd, should remove this fictitious article, as we now have been shown that this story wasn't verified from a reliable source before publication.

Thumbs Down Stop

LP Administrator, Todd, should remove this fictitious article, as we now have been shown that this story wasn't verified from a reliable source before publication.

Thumbs Down Stop

I take this statement and request back ... perhaps only huge PB jackpot winner Pedro and one or two other people knows what happened here!

Shocked

I take this statement and request back ... perhaps only huge PB jackpot winner Pedro and one or two other people knows what happened here!

Shocked

With the internet and the rush to be first, accuracy in articles and overall reporting fell by the wayside a long time ago.  I had a recent newspaper article on a book and after the writer got the initial press release from the publisher, he wrote the article (never contacted me or the publisher with questions), added a bunch of inaccurate info like the state I lived in, where I was born and where I went to school (ALL of this info was not even close to being accurate).  Of course, I had it corrected. 

So the rule is, always check with the source or an official rep. for the source.

Ronnie316

Thumbs Down Stop

So your saying a spokesmouth Lawyer is a "reliable source" What?

So your saying a spokesmouth Lawyer is a "reliable source" What?

Yes, if he was retained by Pedro, he is his authorized rep. (unless he hired a PR firm to issue statements for him as well).

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Apr 2, 2013

Yes, if he was retained by Pedro, he is his authorized rep. (unless he hired a PR firm to issue statements for him as well).

Ok, but just because his Lawyer says "that rumor is not true" does not mean Pedro never said he would pay someones rent. It just means a Lawyer is being paid to say things.

Ok, but just because his Lawyer says "that rumor is not true" does not mean Pedro never said he would pay someones rent. It just means a Lawyer is being paid to say things.

Well that is why Pedro retained counsel....if he is a competent attorey, he will provide him valuable advice on the pros and cons of every potential action. If Pedro jumped the gun with promises and still wants to pay rent for the block, hopefully counsel will help him with a logical organized way to do it. That is why one retains counsel.

Ronnie316

Well that is why Pedro retained counsel....if he is a competent attorey, he will provide him valuable advice on the pros and cons of every potential action. If Pedro jumped the gun with promises and still wants to pay rent for the block, hopefully counsel will help him with a logical organized way to do it. That is why one retains counsel.

Right, except paying the rent would have been cheaper. lol.

maybe he should have just bought the appartment buildings then they all can live for FREEHurray!

Perhaps not, in the long run. Avoiding open ended promises may save Pedro time, misery, and legal fees defending himself down the road.  And, like anything in life, good advice is not free.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 2, 2013

maybe he should have just bought the appartment buildings then they all can live for FREEHurray!

I recommend paying for some "good advice" before attempting such a thing.

Amen.  Logical advice from Ronnie.  A red letter day!

you know him paying 1 or 2 months rent for them aint gonna stop there

least if he owned the place he could collect rent from them when they had it to pay.Approve

Ronnie316

Amen.  Logical advice from Ronnie.  A red letter day!

I Agree! Just try to keep the cost of the advice lesser than, or equal to the price of the apartment building.

I Agree! Just try to keep the cost of the advice lesser than, or equal to the price of the apartment building.

it's called investment  = tax right offs

Ronnie316

it's called investment  = tax right offs

Thats what the Lawyer told him about his fees........Green laugh

Well personal legal fees are not tax deductible so Pedro needs to set up some sort of business/LLC ASAP.

Ronnie316

Well personal legal fees are not tax deductible so Pedro needs to set up some sort of business/LLC ASAP.

But they could be considered an "investment" based on whet your saying What?

Ronnie316

I Agree! I agree with you Artist, Pedro likely did the best thing given his situation.

Ronnie316

Have to check out. Hope everyone has a good evening. Sleep

Ronnie316

I got my tix and IMA B D Big MM JP Winner.......................

I Agree!

I Agree!

Allen Iverson did that & look at him now bankruptBang Head

giotonia's avatargiotonia

I agree he would go broke.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Apr 2, 2013

Great story Factor!

Thank you very much Golfer!

Nice story FactoremBlue Angel, thanks for sharingThumbs Up

You are welcomed, DallasCowboyFan! and I am happy.

NJJim's avatarNJJim

Really? Do you think kit's going to take 5 years?  If he gets all that money without a financial plan, I wouldn't give him two years.  I wish him well though, but he needs to get out of town pronto.  With that kind of dough, it's not even the many that will beg him one by one - I'd be worried about the big time criminals, the so called "professionals:  the kidnapers, and home invaders, and hell, even the Mob!

sanman$

Pedro (No Habla English) Quezada. HORRIBLE!!! What I want to know is what planet has Pedro been living on for the past 24 years? You need to purchase the 'Rosetta Stone' muy pronto, so that you can learn to read, write, & habla (speak) English man!!! So that you can apply to become a U.S. citizen.

sanman$

Half of the sanitation workers I work with are Spanish, but they all know how to read, write, & speak English. The only time I hear them speak Spanish is whenever I walk by them. LOL.

sanman$

I worked with this guy, Sergio Martini who won 10.3 million in the Powerball Lottery in January, 1996. He lived in Brewster, N.Y. He used to gamble on everything. He drove his brother's taxi cab on weekends to make extra gambling money. They were about to take his house away. About twenty of us used to give him a dollar twice a week & he'd buy us a powerball ticket. But he wouldn't give them to us until a day or two after the lottery. The day he won one of the guys didn't get a ticket. Very suspicious if you ask me.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by sanman$ on Apr 3, 2013

I worked with this guy, Sergio Martini who won 10.3 million in the Powerball Lottery in January, 1996. He lived in Brewster, N.Y. He used to gamble on everything. He drove his brother's taxi cab on weekends to make extra gambling money. They were about to take his house away. About twenty of us used to give him a dollar twice a week & he'd buy us a powerball ticket. But he wouldn't give them to us until a day or two after the lottery. The day he won one of the guys didn't get a ticket. Very suspicious if you ask me.

"The day he won one of the guys didn't get a ticket. Very suspicious if you ask me."

And he didn't sue him?

myturn's avatarmyturn

'$338M NJ Powerball winner pledges to pay rent for his entire block'

I can see the writing on the wall. That jackpot is not going to last long. I hope he gets independent professional financial advice before it is too late.

Half of the sanitation workers I work with are Spanish, but they all know how to read, write, & speak English. The only time I hear them speak Spanish is whenever I walk by them. LOL.

The only time I hear them speak Spanish is whenever I walk by them. LOL.

you should learn spanish then you know what they sayin

did they laugh after you walk by  LOL

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Thumbs Down Stop

I wonder how many other "rumours"  of extravegant gifts are floating around?

jamella724

I'm not sure if he is kindhearted or he is just trying to impress the whole neighborhood. Well I guess pampering neighbors isn't a bright idea at all.

deciquio

I gave him 5 years but now I am lowering the bar to 4 years.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by deciquio on Apr 10, 2013

I think he is set for life.

Quote: Originally posted by deciquio on Apr 10, 2013

No Nod I Think sooner than that LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 10, 2013

he might be if it was just Him, but he has a new wife & five kids and a whole lot of friends & family and the whole BLOCK oh and don't forget where he came from he will take care of a few back there to i imagine Yes Nod

easy come easy go, now you see it now you don'tCoffee

i hope he gets to enjoy some of it before it is all gone Smiley

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 13, 2013

he might be if it was just Him, but he has a new wife & five kids and a whole lot of friends & family and the whole BLOCK oh and don't forget where he came from he will take care of a few back there to i imagine Yes Nod

easy come easy go, now you see it now you don'tCoffee

i hope he gets to enjoy some of it before it is all gone Smiley

A house and a car for every family member. At least he will have a place to stay when its all over.

Ronnie316

No Nod I Think sooner than that LOL

NO sooner......  NO sooner......... Set for life I say.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 10, 2013

Thumbs Up

Ronnie316

Pedro (No Habla English) Quezada. HORRIBLE!!! What I want to know is what planet has Pedro been living on for the past 24 years? You need to purchase the 'Rosetta Stone' muy pronto, so that you can learn to read, write, & habla (speak) English man!!! So that you can apply to become a U.S. citizen.

BETTER to wait and get citizenship when its given away for free, less red tape.

DC81's avatarDC81

What if he doesn't go broke, just won't be alive in five years?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Apr 13, 2013

What if he doesn't go broke, just won't be alive in five years?

That's why spending it is a good idea........Dead

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 13, 2013

A house and a car for every family member. At least he will have a place to stay when its all over.

Evil Smile yeah least that way he can sell his house & sleep in his car when he runs out of money

good thinking  Thumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 13, 2013

That's why spending it is a good idea........Dead

No Nod Bad idea

billionaire2bee

Sounds like all of you are a little ticked that ole Pedro won....i have seen more negative than positive on his win....Maybe we should all say congrats and good luck and move on to the next winner and do the same

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by billionaire2bee on Apr 14, 2013

Sounds like all of you are a little ticked that ole Pedro won....i have seen more negative than positive on his win....Maybe we should all say congrats and good luck and move on to the next winner and do the same

I'm ticked at Pedro for winning. I think he should be exported.

Ronnie316

No Nod Bad idea

Spend right away.. Yes Nod Good idea.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 15, 2013

Spend right away.. Yes Nod Good idea.

Thumbs Up

oh wow i am so glad this story is back i missed seeing it Smiley 

is there any updates on this winner

End of comments