$191 MILLION: Huge Powerball lottery jackpot teed up for Saturday drawing

May 2, 2013, 8:30 am (44 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Wednesday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball lottery game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $191 million for Saturday's drawing.

Saturday was the 9th consecutive Powerball drawing without a jackpot winner.  The jackpot run started April 3 as a $40 million jackpot.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $124.7 million. After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.

Although there were no jackpot winners Wednesday, 2 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from New Jersey and 1 from Oregon.

None of the second-prize winners purchased the Power Play option for an extra $1. If they had, their second prize ticket would double in value to $2 million.

41 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 6 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000, and 5 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $9,828 this drawing.  By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, May 1, were 22, 26, 31, 54, and 55, with Powerball number 18.

Following the Wednesday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was raised $26 million from its previous amount of $165 million. The cash value was raised by $17 million, from its previous amount of $107.7 million.

The next Powerball drawing will take place Saturday evening at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.  Power Play is available for purchase in all states offering Powerball except California.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 pm Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

The Powerball winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

th19940305

This was weird , I had played 10 as the powerball # and in my sleep I was like " <snip> the number is 18, should've played that." This was before I actually looked at the results though so I have no clue why I knew the number

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

i Won $4.00 i'm ready to try again Hurray!Good Luck everyone

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by th19940305 on May 2, 2013

This was weird , I had played 10 as the powerball # and in my sleep I was like " <snip> the number is 18, should've played that." This was before I actually looked at the results though so I have no clue why I knew the number

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Its not unusual for those who "believe" in playing the lottery to foretell part of the draw.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on May 2, 2013

i Won $4.00 i'm ready to try again Hurray!Good Luck everyone

IMA B D Big PB JP Winner, See Ya!

Ronnie316

What a nice weekend. Two big jackpots and a Kentucky Derby. 

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

I am saving my money for Mega Millions to arrive in Florida on May 15th. The return of A Dollar and A Dream! Will play 1 powerball ticket on Saturday.

Good Luck everyone.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on May 2, 2013

I am saving my money for Mega Millions to arrive in Florida on May 15th. The return of A Dollar and A Dream! Will play 1 powerball ticket on Saturday.

Good Luck everyone.

I like your idea. I think MM has BETTER ODDS. Hitting 5 of 5 is easier.

Masone

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 2, 2013

Don't forget about the Mayweather fight!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Masone on May 2, 2013

Don't forget about the Mayweather fight!

Oh wow. Is that PPV or free TV?

Ronnie316

btw... PPV stands for Pinhead Picture Viewing.....lmao

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$191 Million sounds good to me.....Banana

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on May 2, 2013

$191 Million sounds good to me.....Banana

I like that sound too...... And congrats on topping the Maddog billboard.

Powerball results  5/1;                                                                                                 22-26-31-54-55  +  18

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dallascowboyfan                              2+1

Helpmewin                                           1+1

Magma                                                   0+1

Don't forget the NBA Playoffs there are going to be few teams going fishing this weekendWink

Powerball results  5/1;                                                                                                 22-26-31-54-55  +  18

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ronnie....

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on May 2, 2013

Don't forget the NBA Playoffs there are going to be few teams going fishing this weekendWink

Thanks for reminding me. I like to watch at play-off time.

I had lots of fun watching KY win the NCAA Final.

Time for the big boys to run the court.

tymack

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on May 2, 2013

Good Luck everyone.

That's my plan as well Win$500Quick. Saving my money for Mega Million.  Plan to purchase just 1 powerball ticket. If I can't win with one that  one then surely the 5 extra tickets will not help.  Maybe I just need to visit the nearest liquor store in Pcola it worked for the last powerball winner. Get me some will Irish Rose or Thunder Bird and a quick pick to boot. Cheers

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I'll take it!

Thumbs Up

Thanks for reminding me. I like to watch at play-off time.

I had lots of fun watching KY win the NCAA Final.

Time for the big boys to run the court.

Thanks for rubbing it in my faceWink, seeing that I'm from Michigan and a Wolverine fan. I have to give it to Louisville though they were good.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level. Why does this happens only in California?

Anyone know why?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by rock_nc on May 2, 2013

By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level. Why does this happens only in California?

Anyone know why?

It's what I call a chickensh*t system designed so they never have to deal with a shortage to pay the winners.

TN does the same thing with it's Tennessee Cash game.

CA has a huge problem funding massive pensions for their government workers and politicians so they can retire in lavish luxury though.

TN is just chickensh*t.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 2, 2013

It's what I call a chickensh*t system designed so they never have to deal with a shortage to pay the winners.

TN does the same thing with it's Tennessee Cash game.

CA has a huge problem funding massive pensions for their government workers and politicians so they can retire in lavish luxury though.

TN is just chickensh*t.

I Agree!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

I just looked up what Parimutuel means. 

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Good luck to the people participating in this game. I'm writing the winning numbers of Powerball after my California Super Lotto Plus contract expired on Saturday April 6th, 2013. What do you think about my comment?

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 2, 2013

Good luck to the people participating in this game. I'm writing the winning numbers of Powerball after my California Super Lotto Plus contract expired on Saturday April 6th, 2013. What do you think about my comment?

"my California Super Lotto Plus contract expired"

how do you get a contract to play the lottery? what happens if you break your contract?

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Cheers  winning ticket bought in VA

interesting weekend just around the corner ...... best of luck to all playing

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on May 2, 2013

Cheers  winning ticket bought in VA

interesting weekend just around the corner ...... best of luck to all playing

Cheers

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by rock_nc on May 2, 2013

Anyone know why?

Damage control........

One person buying the winning PB ticket 100 times, ($200.) could set them back $100 million.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Damage control........

One person buying the winning PB ticket 100 times, ($200.) could set them back $100 million.

if the only reason is damage control, then why is only California doing it? The other states aren't worried about damage control?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 2, 2013

What do you think about my comment?

I think it's a very nice comment!

Keep up the good work!  Thumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 2, 2013

What do you think about my comment?

I think it's a very nice comment!

Keep up the good work!  Thumbs Up

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I Agree!

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I Agree!

See Ya!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

my american buddy bought a ticket for my this week.  its not CA so if it wins there should be some cash for me

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on May 3, 2013

my american buddy bought a ticket for my this week.  its not CA so if it wins there should be some cash for me

Sounds like a winner savagegoose, Im wishing you the best. You are a winner.

Ronnie316

Quad 6's...... I like it.......

helpmewinhelpmewin's avatar - dandy                See Ya!
U$A 
United States 
Member #106693 
February 22, 2011 
6666 Posts 
Artist77's avatarArtist77

I still predict a major jackpot for one of the ladies of LP.

jamella724

This is a huge prize! If I will win this prize I will travel around the globe for sure. However, I will still save for investments. Back to my game I need to play smart today. :)

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 3, 2013

Sounds like a winner savagegoose, Im wishing you the best. You are a winner.

i dont know about that, i hope i am. I hope if i dont win someone i know on this forum wins,.  I am in with a 1 in 176 mill chance is all. which mkes me a possible winner.  good luck too Ronnie. and everyone else.

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 3, 2013

Quad 6's...... I like it.......

helpmewinhelpmewin's avatar - dandy                See Ya!
U$A 
United States 
Member #106693 
February 22, 2011 
6666 Posts 

No No

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 3, 2013

I still predict a major jackpot for one of the ladies of LP.

I Agree!   Yes Nod         Thumbs Up

Masone

I wonder what would be the bigger story, being the sole winner of a record 700+ million jackpot, or winning both the mega millions and powerball 100+ million jackpots in the same week.

Original Bey's avatarOriginal Bey

Quote: Originally posted by Masone on May 4, 2013

I wonder what would be the bigger story, being the sole winner of a record 700+ million jackpot, or winning both the mega millions and powerball 100+ million jackpots in the same week.

If you mean one individual winning both Jackpots in the same week I think that would definitely be the BIGGER story. I am no mathematician but the odds of accomplishing that in a lifetime much less the same week must be astronomical to the 4th power.

Quote: Originally posted by Original Bey on May 4, 2013

If you mean one individual winning both Jackpots in the same week I think that would definitely be the BIGGER story. I am no mathematician but the odds of accomplishing that in a lifetime much less the same week must be astronomical to the 4th power.

I Agree!that would be BIG news Party

zirabamuzaale

Quote: Originally posted by th19940305 on May 2, 2013

I have played the red Powerball no. 18 or the past almost six years. I won $4 on Wednesday. Now looking forward to the next  Powerball that has now ballooned to $222 million, come this Wednesday.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story