$360 MILLION: Powerball jackpot raised on huge sales

May 14, 2013, 12:46 pm (69 comments)

Powerball

Now 5th-largest cash value in history

By Todd Northrop

Due to larger than expected sales volume, the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) has raised the official Powerball lottery jackpot estimate for Wednesday's drawing to $360 million.

The all-important lump-sum cash value of the jackpot has been raised to $229.2 million — now the 5th-largest cash jackpot ever offered in a United States lottery.

"This jackpot has started a buzz across New Mexico and it's bringing out a flood of people hoping to win big," said Tom Romero, New Mexico Lottery CEO. "We might see ticket sales push the jackpot to an even higher sum before Wednesday night's drawing."

Lottery players seeking to check the winning numbers Wednesday night are urged to use USA Mega (www.usamega.com). State lottery Web sites are normally brought to a standstill during busy periods, while USA Mega normally remains responsive.

Powerball drawing results will be posted immediately after the 10:59 pm drawing at USA Mega. The number of winners and new jackpot will be announced after all participating Powerball states have reported their data, which normally occurs within a couple of hours after the drawing.

Tickets will remain on sale typically until 10:45 pm Eastern Time on Wednesday, although players should check with a lottery retailer in their state for the exact sales cutoff time. Players are advised not to wait until the last minute.

The odds of winning the jackpot are approximately 1 in 175 million. The odds of winning any of the Powerball prizes are approximately 1 in 32.

Powerball tickets cost $2 each.

Lottery players can see an after-tax analysis of the current Powerball jackpot by visiting USA Mega's Jackpot Analysis page.

Powerball features nine different prize levels, ranging from $4 all the way up to the jackpot. Players can win even if they just match one number — the Powerball number.

All states except California also offer the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket purchased. The Power Play multiplies any non-jackpot prizes won by a fixed amount, depending on the prize level won.

Players who purchase the Power Play and win second prize will automatically have their prize increased by 2x to $2 million.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Just rolled out some numbers from my pill bottle! Hope they will be winners! 10 bucks is all I can play! Good Luck to all of you!

sully16's avatarsully16

Thats Awesome, good luck everyone.Cheers

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

count me in I Agree! Good Luck everyone Hurray!

Piaceri

Hurray!

Good luck everybody! You gotta play if you wanna win! White Bounce

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Woo Hoo BananaHurray!Dance

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on May 14, 2013

Hurray!

Good luck everybody! You gotta play if you wanna win! White Bounce

I Agree! you can't win if you don't play

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skepticalwhelp ... I just put in my $2

hope I win Twitch

CLETU$

All it takes is one ticket to win!

tymack

Time to do the Lotto Dance........Banana Oh Yeah!!!!! May the best numbers win.

MadGeniusDude's avatarMadGeniusDude

Quote: Originally posted by tymack on May 14, 2013

Time to do the Lotto Dance........Banana Oh Yeah!!!!! May the best numbers win.

Banana

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

I find it quite humorous that so many large lottery jackpot winners think it will be just fine to stay in their current home while still working...even if it's only for a few days. A large windfall is life changing, NOTHING will ever be the same. If the winner(s) doesn't take the appropriate steps prior to claiming their prize then they have no one to blame but themselves for the chaos that is now facing them.

I don't think it really matters how "close knit" of a community you live in because neighbors and strangers will look at you in a totally different light. Granted if you already reside in a private, heavily guarded community you might be fine but chances are you're not.

Prior to claiming your prize, you need to assemble a group of trusted advisors/attorneys to form your trust as well as get you an advance loan to move you and your entire family. No need to pack up the entire house, just take your important documents and anything with sentimental value along with some clothing and LEAVE. You can arrange to have movers come in and take the rest of your belongings to a storage facility.

This is just the start. I can't stress enough how critical it is to take at least 3-4 weeks if not more to get everything in order prior to having one of your attorneys claim your prize. If you are insolvent and feel you need to claim your prize as quickly as possible in order to get some funds then you are mistaken. Your payout usually takes at least several weeks for all the participating states to fund the jackpot. One of your advisors and/or attorneys should have no issues getting you a few hundred thousand to keep you afloat until your main payout gets wired into your financial institution.

Good luck to whomever wins and I hope it's one of you from LP but please take your time and tell no ONE other than your spouse...this means keeping a secret from your in-laws, neighbors, co-workers, friends and children.

miss dee45

oooohhhh,yyyeeesss,now that is real money!

easygoing123go

I agree 100% trust no one, I've thinking its going to roll again to $560 for Saturday Night. Be Cautious, PO Box for your mail, and tell no one....Trust and go from there.... Good Luck..

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Good luck to the people participating in this game.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I got my 2 tickets each with powerplay. I don't want no leakages when I hit the first 5 balls.. I'm going for the $2M Jester

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on May 14, 2013

I got my 2 tickets each with powerplay. I don't want no leakages when I hit the first 5 balls.. I'm going for the $2M Jester

Me too! I always think in terms of the 2nd place prize.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 14, 2013

Me too! I always think in terms of the 2nd place prize.

The PB second prize is awesome especially when powerplayed

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

will if u win both PB/MM , u just won 530m, so its kinda like having half a billion jackpot 2 win rofl

gl with that act of god of trillion odds breaking for both

back to reality

at 229m cash, 

this could be the new largest cash jackpot paid to 1 ticket winner

the Powerball: $224.7 million cash, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) - Michigan

was largest single cash jackpot paid to 1 ticket

large jackpots like this tend to have more then 1 winner, sales are strong. a lot of numbers get played twice."qp numbers overlaps etc"

however  with  recent Powerball: $211 million cash, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.3 million annuity) - New Jersey being one  ticket not long ago, its very possible

if this thing ROLLS, i say it has a REAL shot at beating old PB jackpot record

Powerball: $384.7 million cash, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.5 million annuity) - Arizona, Missouri

before it rolled to that, it was 325,000,000 annuity /212,800,000 cash , so this one would have higher amount to roll over to half billion

however it had 4 days to sell.......... while if rolls here, it only have 3 days of none-stop sells

it be fun to watch it get close or little bit over, i say  600m annuity,

i don't think it get past MM record thro , that thing had ever star in perfact spot to do what it pulled off

then again, PB at full power nation wide with CA now joined, so they can do in sales in 3 days what they did in 4 last time

i hope to god they market it 500m at lest starting, sense both MM/PB half billion plus jackpots started out as 400m something, but got bumped up atfer first day of sales, give media there 500m, half a billion marketing news headline and people buy like flood coming and they need to stock up on supplies

gogidolim

I have a feeling that it will roll, at least once.

Now I start to wonder about the average market price of mid to upscale rental properties (apartments) in LA, San Bernadino, and OC. It would be sweet to own some apartment properties around colleges because there's always demands for housing near schools.

gogidolim

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 14, 2013

I find it quite humorous that so many large lottery jackpot winners think it will be just fine to stay in their current home while still working...even if it's only for a few days. A large windfall is life changing, NOTHING will ever be the same. If the winner(s) doesn't take the appropriate steps prior to claiming their prize then they have no one to blame but themselves for the chaos that is now facing them.

I don't think it really matters how "close knit" of a community you live in because neighbors and strangers will look at you in a totally different light. Granted if you already reside in a private, heavily guarded community you might be fine but chances are you're not.

Prior to claiming your prize, you need to assemble a group of trusted advisors/attorneys to form your trust as well as get you an advance loan to move you and your entire family. No need to pack up the entire house, just take your important documents and anything with sentimental value along with some clothing and LEAVE. You can arrange to have movers come in and take the rest of your belongings to a storage facility.

This is just the start. I can't stress enough how critical it is to take at least 3-4 weeks if not more to get everything in order prior to having one of your attorneys claim your prize. If you are insolvent and feel you need to claim your prize as quickly as possible in order to get some funds then you are mistaken. Your payout usually takes at least several weeks for all the participating states to fund the jackpot. One of your advisors and/or attorneys should have no issues getting you a few hundred thousand to keep you afloat until your main payout gets wired into your financial institution.

Good luck to whomever wins and I hope it's one of you from LP but please take your time and tell no ONE other than your spouse...this means keeping a secret from your in-laws, neighbors, co-workers, friends and children.

You are right.

But I am a very impatient person, kinda shoot-first-ask-questions-later type person. I will claim the prize first, then will hire a team to strategize the pla for future. It will take at least 4 weeks to receive the check so I can plan for my future while waiting for the check to be cut.

I have a large extended family and at least couple of them are high deca-millionaires. I will have to convince them I will help them with the incomes coming from the property investment out of my lottery winning. (yeah, I want to buy rental properties. Big ones of course)

At the night of winning, I will keep my winning ticket in my wallet, drive to 24-hour self storage place, then buy a whole bunch of packing items to prepare for moving.

BEZ22's avatarBEZ22

Banana

Party1377

I got my tickets for both powerball + mega. Good luck to everyone. Has anyone on here ever won at least maybe the 2nd prize in powerball or mega before?

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

I agree and like your thoughts..... mine are extremely similar.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 14, 2013

Thank you!

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on May 14, 2013

Skepticalwhelp ... I just put in my $2

hope I win Twitch

Don't get too excited or anything... lol. Just think of how many old beaters and refurbished hearses you can buy with $229m!

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

Excellent advice.

I might add, the very first thing you should do is sign the back of the ticket. Then place in in-home safe or bank safe-deposit box.

Another thought I had in regards to Jill's post is if you live in a state when you can remain anonymous when claiming I don't see a neccessity to move ASAP.

But I totally agree with taking several weeks--or longer--to get things in order.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I am hoping that my luck comes through tomorrow night on my ticket for powerball.-weshar75

US Flag

Teddi's avatarTeddi

You're awesome Jill. I hope everyone heeds your advice.

Whenever I see a big payout on a Saturday and see the winner show up to collect it on the Monday, I give them 4 years max before it's all gone. It's all fun and games until someone is bankrupt. Going to collect it in under 3 weeks to me means they didn't do their homework and didn't set up what they needed to to protect themselves and their money.

Find a place to lay low after the obligatory check collection and press conference. Allow time for the fervor to die down before going out in public, preferably in another state. Get a PO Box under a business name, change your number and make sure the new number isn't in your name. And my favorite: Set aside 5% of the funds to go crazy with. Buy whatever hairbrained, idiotic, useless thing you want to buy. Get the need to go crazy out of your system and then be responsible with the rest.

yoho

... Or it means they did their homework before hand, or is already competent with managing money through other means. Nothing is absolute, everything depends

on circumstances especially with something like winning such a huge lottery. While Jill's advice is good in general, saying everyone MUST follow it and those who

don't are going to go bankrupt or are stupid is just silly and not true.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by yoho on May 14, 2013

... Or it means they did their homework before hand, or is already competent with managing money through other means. Nothing is absolute, everything depends

on circumstances especially with something like winning such a huge lottery. While Jill's advice is good in general, saying everyone MUST follow it and those who

don't are going to go bankrupt or are stupid is just silly and not true.

If 70% of all JP winners go bankrupt within 5 years, tells me the rushing into it head first doesn't work and that discipline is needed to not become another statistic.

If the winner doesn't have a fast moving terminal disease, why can't they wait 3 weeks to ensure a smooth and less stressful transition? Where's the fire?

I see those people being both impulsive and having a penchant for instant gratification. Nothing wrong with that on the face of it, but that combo is what leads to many to bankruptcy. They had to buy this, they had to get that. The urge to spend regardless of possible financial and emotional consequences. 

The endorphin rush of an impulsive activity will oftentimes outweigh commonsense and reasoning. So yes, if they can't even hold back a few weeks and instead they have to go for the gratification they will get when claiming that money, those people's odds of keeping their money long term is significantly lowered. I'm not looking at who is following the guidelines as a predictor for who will keep their money. I'm looking at who is disciplined enough to follow them...purely from a psychological POV. Tell tale behavior patterns that spell failure or success. 

Watch a few episodes of TLCML, most episodes were filmed between 2007 and 2011. Some of those winners were only a year or 2 into their winnings at the time the episodes were filmed. I guarantee, you can watch the winners featured and predict who will be broke now and who won't. Then Google them to see if you're right. I have yet to be wrong. What is neither silly, stupid nor untrue is that those are the ones who help make up the 70% failure rate.

Simba774

I'm not excited, but I still bought a ticket. I no longer get excited over large jackpots. I just buy a ticket and throw it to the side.

Simba774

I agree 100%

If my family were to win tonight, starting  Friday or next week we will get legal advice, try to find a new place while not telling a soul other than the 3 people who live in our house, which is my parents and me. Our cat cannot talk. We will pack up the entire house because everything is of value and once we're gone, we're gone, period. My big brother and other family won't find out until everything is place. Our lips are sealed.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 14, 2013

Another thought I had in regards to Jill's post is if you live in a state when you can remain anonymous when claiming I don't see a neccessity to move ASAP.

But I totally agree with taking several weeks--or longer--to get things in order.

Even If I did I would still move ASAP. It's best and very safe.

yoho

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on May 15, 2013

If 70% of all JP winners go bankrupt within 5 years, tells me the rushing into it head first doesn't work and that discipline is needed to not become another statistic.

If the winner doesn't have a fast moving terminal disease, why can't they wait 3 weeks to ensure a smooth and less stressful transition? Where's the fire?

I see those people being both impulsive and having a penchant for instant gratification. Nothing wrong with that on the face of it, but that combo is what leads to many to bankruptcy. They had to buy this, they had to get that. The urge to spend regardless of possible financial and emotional consequences. 

The endorphin rush of an impulsive activity will oftentimes outweigh commonsense and reasoning. So yes, if they can't even hold back a few weeks and instead they have to go for the gratification they will get when claiming that money, those people's odds of keeping their money long term is significantly lowered. I'm not looking at who is following the guidelines as a predictor for who will keep their money. I'm looking at who is disciplined enough to follow them...purely from a psychological POV. Tell tale behavior patterns that spell failure or success. 

Watch a few episodes of TLCML, most episodes were filmed between 2007 and 2011. Some of those winners were only a year or 2 into their winnings at the time the episodes were filmed. I guarantee, you can watch the winners featured and predict who will be broke now and who won't. Then Google them to see if you're right. I have yet to be wrong. What is neither silly, stupid nor untrue is that those are the ones who help make up the 70% failure rate.

First of all, that number is plain wrong. There's no way 70% of all jackpot winners go bankrupt in 5 years, unless you count slot machine jackpots, jackpots

from illegal casinos etc. Most "real" lottery jackpot like PB, MM, EuroMillions etc (Let's just say 1m+ jackpots after tax and lumpsum amount) winners wouldn't 

go bankrupt in 5 years. Or else that woman who won 10 million in the Super 7 (canadian lotto) and lost it all in 10 years wouldn't become news. 

But I'm not so much against "waiting 3 weeks" as much as I am against how Jill even tells people who you can and can't tell about the lottery win so 

precisely, as if no one else is intelligent enough to decide for themselves. 

BTW, I've been trying to look for the TLCML episodes, but could only find 1 or 2 of them. Do you have a source where I can watch a few more episodes?

Thanks in advance.

very nice commentPatriot

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by yoho on May 15, 2013

First of all, that number is plain wrong. There's no way 70% of all jackpot winners go bankrupt in 5 years, unless you count slot machine jackpots, jackpots

from illegal casinos etc. Most "real" lottery jackpot like PB, MM, EuroMillions etc (Let's just say 1m+ jackpots after tax and lumpsum amount) winners wouldn't 

go bankrupt in 5 years. Or else that woman who won 10 million in the Super 7 (canadian lotto) and lost it all in 10 years wouldn't become news. 

But I'm not so much against "waiting 3 weeks" as much as I am against how Jill even tells people who you can and can't tell about the lottery win so 

precisely, as if no one else is intelligent enough to decide for themselves. 

BTW, I've been trying to look for the TLCML episodes, but could only find 1 or 2 of them. Do you have a source where I can watch a few more episodes?

Thanks in advance.

Have you ever heard the expression, "you don't know what you don't know"?  I thought I knew. I took an accounting course as an adjunct to my science degree way back when, and I'm really anal about researching everything. Now I see, it was such a huge blessing that I never won a JP before, because knowing what I know now, I would probably have been in the 70% statistic. 

The 70% applies to windfalls...legal windfalls. I can only source one place which states it's all windfalls: inheritance, lawsuit and lottery. Now, I know for sure I saw this number applied to jackpot winners, but I'd have to locate the source. But unless you can come up with a credible source saying that number is wrong, you'll pardon me if I don't just take your word for it. 

I don't think when someone gives sound advice it should be taken as offensive. Many people who win have no clue what to do, what to expect or how to proceed. None, Nada. Zilch. They rush to claim their tickets and then wonder why their lives suddenly became nightmarish.

Frankly, whether or not big JP winners like:

Post, Whittaker, Shakespeare, Toth, Hill, Harrel, Carrol, Dickerson, Hurt, Adams, Basehore, Rogers, Edwards, Tirabassi, Tallmadge, Fick, Proxmire, Cohen, Gildein, McNabb, Mullins, Pittard, Griffiths, Lee, Metcalf, Zell, Dill, Sanfilippo, etc

are the exceptions or the tip of the iceberg, there are enough of them and their stories are so godawful that I will gladly and gratefully accept any sound advice I can possibly get. 

p.s. No, sorry. I watched the episodes when they originally aired on TLC. I have no idea where to find them now.

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on May 14, 2013

Same here maringoman Thumbs Up

Thank you ressuccess you as well Thumbs Up

hsg2000

I happened to be travelling by car thru Louisiana to Missouri, I tried my luck by buying one ticket each of PB & MM in these states LA, TN & MO.

Hope good luck to be a winner in any of these states.

US Flag  Love  Lep

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Good advice. Thanks! I have a pool of 20 people so it will be hard to do in this order, but I'm still looking at 8.5 mill for my share so I will have fall into order once its claimed.  But, if my own private ticket wins, I most will certainly do something like this as my wife and I have already discussed/planned what we will be doing. 

Good luck to me Wink

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

This means about $139,000,000 after the Federal Confiscation of 39%. That is about $89,000,000 in Taxes (No State or Local Tax in PA).

I would try to mitigate the Taxes from my secret location LOL.

Good luck to all on Lottery Post!

US Flag

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 14, 2013

Actually if you live in a state that allows you to remain anonymous it isn't really as discreet as it sounds. The media recently got the name of an anonymous winner through the freedom of information act and disclosed it to the public. That is why having an attorney claim your prize under a trust that can be hidden under several other trust is so important.

One thing I would like to clarify is that there is no need to totally alienate all your close friends. Once you have structured your financial plan you can slowly bring them back into your life if you choose.

There is no need to move out of town ASAP. You simply need to get your financial game plan in order(after having interviewed several attorneys/ financial experts) as well as submitting your job resignation. Once you have secured a temporary residence and finalized documents with your legal team then give yourself a couple days to relocate prior to having your trustee/attorney claim your prize. 

If you have close ties to your church/community, you can always give charitable contributions through your foundation at a later time which will help mitigate your tax obligations.

yoho

When you throw numbers around, especially outrageous ones like that, you're the one who needs to provide a source, not me. That you can only name

a few (many of whom took longer than 5 years, by the way), out of tens of thousands of winners (For example, the florida lottery has made over 1,200 

millionaires, so has the UK lottery, Australian lotteries, Canadian lotteries, etc.) clearly shows that 70% is plain wrong. It's kind of funny how you can 

keep saying "the 70% statistic". You may be "really anal about researching everything" now, but research alone is not sufficient; you also need critical 

thinking and reasoning. 

Note that a couple thousand dollars can be considered a "windfall". It's much easier to lose a thousand than a million.

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 15, 2013

Actually if you live in a state that allows you to remain anonymous it isn't really as discreet as it sounds. The media recently got the name of an anonymous winner through the freedom of information act and disclosed it to the public. That is why having an attorney claim your prize under a trust that can be hidden under several other trust is so important.

One thing I would like to clarify is that there is no need to totally alienate all your close friends. Once you have structured your financial plan you can slowly bring them back into your life if you choose.

There is no need to move out of town ASAP. You simply need to get your financial game plan in order(after having interviewed several attorneys/ financial experts) as well as submitting your job resignation. Once you have secured a temporary residence and finalized documents with your legal team then give yourself a couple days to relocate prior to having your trustee/attorney claim your prize. 

If you have close ties to your church/community, you can always give charitable contributions through your foundation at a later time which will help mitigate your tax obligations.

I'd spend whatever it took to 'hide' the claim (I live in Ohio; it can be done) under layers of several trusts...by the way, what would that cost... $20-25 grand?

And don't get me wrong---it must be done, but assembling a team of lawyers/financial people who you 'completely trust' would be totally daunting for most folks. If you don't live/work in the rarified air of high-level society, are not 'connected' to those that specialize in this stuff, this step alone would be very intimidating.

I've used a lawyer on a couple of occasions for relatively simple stuff--house closings and the like. I'd in no way consider him my 'friend'. I don't see him socially or live in his neighborhood. Frankly, it would probably take me a month or more just to find the people I'd want handling a windfall like this.

I suppose it's also a problem I could live with having Big Smile.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"If the winner doesn't have a fast moving terminal disease, why can't they wait 3 weeks to ensure a smooth and less stressful transition?"

Ever hear somebody talk about wanting to buy something that's very cheap, but they have to wait until they get their next paycheck?  I'm figuring that the majority of people who talk about claiming immediately have very little in savings, lousy credit, and have very little opportunity to indulge themselves. I can't imagine any other reason to want to rush to claim the prize as soon as possible. If I knew that paying it back was going to be a piece of cake, I could use the plastic in my pocket to spend 50 grand this afternoon. If I started making plans for collecting a prize of several million dollars I could easily borrow 100 or 200k and have the money faster than the lottery will write me a check.  The only thing I couldn't do today that I could do after actually collecting the money is buy an expensive piece of land and have a builder get started on a house, and even that  might be possible if my bank had examined the ticket.

"The media recently got the name of an anonymous winner through the freedom of information act"

IIRC, the winner wasn't actually anonymous. I think there's a state or two out there who don't  let you remain anonymous, but  also don't automatically announce the names of winners. Of course that's just another argument for taking some time to get your stuff together, which includes knowing exactly what the rules allow or prohibit.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 15, 2013

"If the winner doesn't have a fast moving terminal disease, why can't they wait 3 weeks to ensure a smooth and less stressful transition?"

Ever hear somebody talk about wanting to buy something that's very cheap, but they have to wait until they get their next paycheck?  I'm figuring that the majority of people who talk about claiming immediately have very little in savings, lousy credit, and have very little opportunity to indulge themselves. I can't imagine any other reason to want to rush to claim the prize as soon as possible. If I knew that paying it back was going to be a piece of cake, I could use the plastic in my pocket to spend 50 grand this afternoon. If I started making plans for collecting a prize of several million dollars I could easily borrow 100 or 200k and have the money faster than the lottery will write me a check.  The only thing I couldn't do today that I could do after actually collecting the money is buy an expensive piece of land and have a builder get started on a house, and even that  might be possible if my bank had examined the ticket.

"The media recently got the name of an anonymous winner through the freedom of information act"

IIRC, the winner wasn't actually anonymous. I think there's a state or two out there who don't  let you remain anonymous, but  also don't automatically announce the names of winners. Of course that's just another argument for taking some time to get your stuff together, which includes knowing exactly what the rules allow or prohibit.

The only reason I would wait 3 weeks would be to build suspense and attention to myself.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 15, 2013

The only reason I would wait 3 weeks would be to build suspense and attention to myself.

from your balcony, no doubt. LOL

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on May 15, 2013

from your balcony, no doubt. LOL

Good one! Green laugh

$360 MILLION: Power ball jackpot

Tonight Hurray!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by yoho on May 15, 2013

When you throw numbers around, especially outrageous ones like that, you're the one who needs to provide a source, not me. That you can only name

a few (many of whom took longer than 5 years, by the way), out of tens of thousands of winners (For example, the florida lottery has made over 1,200 

millionaires, so has the UK lottery, Australian lotteries, Canadian lotteries, etc.) clearly shows that 70% is plain wrong. It's kind of funny how you can 

keep saying "the 70% statistic". You may be "really anal about researching everything" now, but research alone is not sufficient; you also need critical 

thinking and reasoning. 

Note that a couple thousand dollars can be considered a "windfall". It's much easier to lose a thousand than a million.

Not one person here, certainly not myself, and certainly not Jill were either rude or insulting to you. If you can't act in a civilised, and dare I say, educated fashion, then you may have to start conversing with yourself. Trust me, it would be oh so easy to hurl targeted insults in your direction right now. But no one has done that. I'm not sure exactly what your personal issue is, but your reactions seem really off the map from such anodyne comments. 

The rest of us, who freely admit to not knowing EVERYTHING welcome words of wisdom from someone who did nothing more than give sound, pragmatic, and reasonable information. If winners knew what to do, so many of them wouldn't go broke, it's as plain as that.

The advice is exactly the same as every interviewed financial advisor has espoused, from Susan Bradley to Robert Ugell to Carl Richards to Don McNay to Jill Schlesinger. So what is the purpose for the hostility? 

There is a problem with anyone who is so intransigent on a position based on no factual evidence except an "I'm smart and that's enough" argument. 

Frankly, it boggles the mind that you can even take umbrage from something innocuous and well meaning. Especially when this isn't Nazi Germany and no one is going to force you to do anything you don't want to do with your own money. But don't ruin it for others who welcome her time tested advice. 

****************************************************************************************************************

Studies have shown that million-dollar lottery winners often go broke after the first few years - Brett Rodriguez, Morgan Stanley

70% of people who get a sudden financial windfall lose that money within just a few years  - National Endowment for Financial Education

It’s an incredibly high number of people who run through lottery winnings in five years or less  - Don McNay (financial consultant)

I know there’s a temptation to think you’re different from everyone else. All those other lottery winners? They were foolish.Which brings us to the first mistake you need to avoid: Overconfidence...Recognize that there’s a high probability that your life after winning the lottery will turn out like other average lottery winners. You will indeed be broke and back at work within five years... - Carl Richards (financial planner)

Toronto

Time value of money. If I can get money in hand now (or in 4 weeks when the funds are officially transferred), I'd rather that than an equal amount (as the lump collects no interest if you delay in claiming it). Would allow me to immediately invest it in opportunities (or in other people's cases, spend it on something that will satisfy them sooner) that I see available at this time.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

It worries me that people do so much to try to protect themselves, and it takes just one dingbat reporter trying to make a name for himself to ruin it. 

Now this is funny: I'm reading up on these lucky people who won a jackpot, and right smack dab in the middle of the article is a huge add for a bankruptcy lawyer. ROFL Hahahahaha. I guess they thought it was only a matter of time and the money for the ad would be well spent. 

KY Floyd, someone from the Massachusetts state lottery said that they do try to give advice to the winners encouraging them to get a lawyer and a financial planner, but they are telling them that after they have already come forward. So that's already a mistake.

And the worse part is that if they didn't have an advisor beforehand, they are inundated with calls/letters/business cards/packages from advisors, accountants, lawyers after. It's that much harder to pick a good one over a shady one after they all now know the extent of the wealth.

I feel (and this is just my personal view) that the lottery commission should provide at least basic financial counseling to anyone who wins a million or more. I think it was Susan Bradley who said the ones who lose their money end up worse off than before they won. That's REALLY scary. They won't even break even.

yoho

You hide under the pretense of being civilized and uninsulting, but how have I been any less civilized than you and Jill? Give any 

example from what I wrote and I can give an example of the exact same kind of thing from what you've written. 

When have I ever said that I "knew everything"? You're accusing me of something I'm not guilty of. I'm simply questioning a questionable statistic you put 

out. It's not me who pretends to "know everything" and think I'm "different" from everyone else. That's why I'm writing simple, clear sentences, and not 

trying to impress with sesquipedalianism. 

Let's see what I've accused you and Jill of so far: Giving wrong or misleading statistics (you) and me personally feeling that Jill's advice was a bit condscending

in that it sounds as if we can't manage even the tiniest details (for example, telling children) ourselves. Maybe I am being oversensitive. Maybe I misinterpreted.

But that's all I'm saying. There was no hostility; but Let's see what you're accusing me of:

1. Believing that "I know everything" - simply untrue. 

2. Being rude - If you felt that I was rude, I apologize. However, I don't feel I've been any more rude than you have. 

3. I have "a problem" - When did I ever say "I'm smart and that's enough"? When you make a claim, you have to back it up yourself! I can say "everyone 

here on LP is stupid, except for myself". If you disagree with that statement, you need to give factual evidence, otherwise you just have a problem because

you're being "intransigent on a position based on no factual evidence". Does that even make the slightest sense to you? I'm questioning your claim, you 

need to back up your claim yourself.

4&5. Believing that "I'm different from everyone else" and "overconfidence" - There's not a single shred of evidence for this claim. You keep making ad 

hominem attacks against me based on no evidence yourself, and you're calling me rude and uncivilized? 

Regarding your 3 quotes, at least you brought in some form of "evidence" now. However, of the 3, only the last one mentions "five years". Only the first

mentions "million-dollar" and only the 2nd mentions "70%". You can't simply combine unrelated sentences to a single one. It's kind of like combining 

"Apples are 1 dollar per pound" and "caviar is 500 dollars per pound" into "Apples are 500 dollars per pound".

I'm not overconfident at all. I know for certain that if I were to win a jackpot, there will definitely be problems I can't even think of now. It's part of the reason

why I'm on this site, to learn. But the same will be for you and Jill, and anyone who isn't used to living or working in an environment with ultra high net-worth

individuals. There will always be problems you didn't think of beforehand. Of course, doing research and listening to advice will help lessen the burden. All

I'm trying to say is this: 

Everyone is different. We all have different situations. Our families are different, our background is different, our educational background is different. There's 

no single advice that will work perfectly for every single person on Earth. You might not tell your children because they're only 7, and you don't want them to

accidentally blab about your lottery win. But someone else might want to give all their money to help their children who they know is responsible enough. I 

sincerely hope that whoever wins the lottery will be intelligent enough to handle these details by themselves, based on their own situations. Otherwise I 

doubt the money would last long, even if they followed Jill's advice to the word.

Again, if you or anyone else felt I was rude, I'm sorry, I apologize. That isn't my purpose. I just want to bring in a different perspective to discussions, to 

encourage critical thinking. I agree, thinking that one knows everything is not good. And I know I don't. By bringing in different perspectives, and making a

friendly and civilized discussion, we're not only showing our own ideas and opinions, but also learning from those of others. Maybe what I said was total 

nonsense, but even that might spark an idea in your mind, or make you understand something better. I don't know about you, but there are many times 

when I strongly believe something, but can't completely explain why. Discussing helps clear your own thoughts as well.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on May 15, 2013

Same here maringoman Thumbs Up

I wish you luck dallascowboyfan if I don't win hehe

Teddi's avatarTeddi

*sigh*

You cannot say someone is giving misleading information and you have nothing to refute it other than your say so. If we are wrong,site your source. I asked before and you scoffed and still haven given any information except that you think the number is wrong. oooh-kay. 

You are free to be skeptical of 70% failure rate. I actually don't care what the percentage is. I said that before. What matters to me, is that people who have worked with past winners, be it bankruptcy lawyers or accountants or estate attorneys, say the majority of winners they come in contact with go bust. That's enough for me. Could they be highballing that number to secure future winners as clients? Absolutely!! But I do not care if majority means 51% or 90%. At that point it's all anecdotal. Whittaker and Dill were enough of an eye-opener for me. Seeking advice and information costs nothing and doesn't hurt. 

Half of marriages fail. 50% failure rate in anything is alarming enough. Is it possible for those who don't go for marriage counseling or bother to get to know their future spouse before walking down the aisle to still be married 40 years from now? ABSOLUTELY. But what if you learned ahead of time what common mistakes to avoid so as to lesson your chance of a divorce, would you take the time to listen to what relationship experts say before rushing to tie the knot? I cannot think of any life changing event that people rush into that ends well. Not for the majority. 

Keep in mind, I also believe that 50% is incorrect. I don't think they factor in people who get married for green card status or for financial gain/stability, where those people have planned ahead of time to be divorced in X number of years. So I would think the percentage of legitimate marriages have a lower failure rate (opinion and no evidence), but then all I had to see was the end result of a couple of bad marriages to know I will do whatever I can to not be them. It isn't the percentage that's important to me, it's the horror stories. 

You have a strong opinion, I'm all for that. But recognize it for what it is. Just your belief. You have concluded that we are wrong you are right, we lack the ability to think critically, or we have poor deductive reasoning skills (rude and insulting) and you have no evidence to back up why you feel you are correct. Why should we take your word over that of people who actually work and counsel and advise in this field?? If my statements seem outlandish to you, you are FREE to not accept them. But why should I accept yours when your evidence is nothing but your own personal opinion?

Do you not see the irony of that?

I never bother to state in ANY conversation with an adult that there are exceptions to every rule, because I expect them to already know that. Dave Thomas, Usain Bolt, FaceBook, Amazon are the exceptions to pretty much everything reasonable we're taught. Being an exception makes for a nice story. It lifts us up and provides hope that anything is possible. Except that: "Nothing is so common as the need to be extraordinary" - William Shakepeare (and doesn't that say it all right there?) The very desire to be different is what makes you like everyone else. Which is precisely why when a winner says I'm not going to end up bankrupt like the rest of them, then check back in 5 years later and they're on welfare, it isn't a shock. 

In any case, this isn't a discussion/argument I want to keep going at forever. It is what it is. I love differences of opinions because you always end up learning something you didn't know before. A difference of opinion does not mean being combative and argumentative. The lottery or the dreaming of the lottery is supposed to be FUN! $360M at stake tonight. Wouldn't you rather talk about that instead of berating someone who was only trying to help?

So, how many tickets did everyone buy? I bought two, each with powerplay.

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 15, 2013

I originally planned to buy 3 tickets  but ended up indulging this time and purchased $12 worth of tickets..no powerplay for this game.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 15, 2013

My regular 5 lines.

Todd's avatarTodd

Jackpot total is $363.9 tonight.  Drawing is not birthday numbers, so a little better chance of a roll.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ro-o-o-o-o-o-l-l-l-l-l

All week long

(With apologies to Jim Morrison)

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 15, 2013

Jackpot total is $363.9 tonight.  Drawing is not birthday numbers, so a little better chance of a roll.

i just noticed something funny about that number

Mega Millions Jackpot for Tue, Mar 27, 2012   

$363,000,000

or  cash wise $260,000,000

that was MM jackpot right before it rolled and taken off to 600m range

and here we here, spot on.

thro with 231,700,000 cash , about 29m less

if it rolls, it beat old powerball record for sure , 

come close  to MM ,but not over

even if it beats somehow the MM  annuity, i doubt it can get more sales  to beat cash record  jackpot of  471m MM holds title too

i think it be  hit tonite, but if not let great lotto fever begin, half billion is new magic number for a lottery fever

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 15, 2013

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ROLL, baby roll

Let it ro-o-o-o-o-o-l-l-l-l-l

All week long

(With apologies to Jim Morrison)

Rollin rollin rollin, keep that jackpot rollin.... Roll On!

(apologies to Rowdy Yates)

alexnt55

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on May 15, 2013

i just noticed something funny about that number

Mega Millions Jackpot for Tue, Mar 27, 2012   

$363,000,000

or  cash wise $260,000,000

that was MM jackpot right before it rolled and taken off to 600m range

and here we here, spot on.

thro with 231,700,000 cash , about 29m less

if it rolls, it beat old powerball record for sure , 

come close  to MM ,but not over

even if it beats somehow the MM  annuity, i doubt it can get more sales  to beat cash record  jackpot of  471m MM holds title too

i think it be  hit tonite, but if not let great lotto fever begin, half billion is new magic number for a lottery fever

I agree if it rolls we will se a new PB record and it might even pass the 656 MM jackpot. To beat the cash record of 471 though it would have to go up from the current jp of 232. That would take about 750 million in ticket sales. Its 12 15 now so i guess we will know shortly if it rolled.

Todd's avatarTodd

$475 MILLION!

$302.4 Million Cash Value

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 16, 2013

$475 MILLION!

Eek  Cheers  Dance

I see 28 2nd tier and not a one from Texas. Bang Head

Toronto

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 16, 2013

$475 MILLION!

So much money. I want! Crazy

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I watched the drawing on t.v. tonight and when I saw the numbers come up I was certain that someone won.  I can not believe that the jackpot rolled to saturday night and another big jackpot.  That is a lot of money.-weshar75

US Flag

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on May 16, 2013

Eek  Cheers  Dance

I see 28 2nd tier and not a one from Texas. Bang Head

You'll see nary a one from Tennessee neither.

Maybe the IRS is running the show.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story