May 19, 2013, 1:18 am (233 comments)

Powerball

Single winning Powerball lottery ticket sold in Florida

Final jackpot total of $590.5 million is largest prize won by a single ticket

How would you react if you won?

• Updated 8:33 am with winning location and other details
  • Updated May 20 at 3:47 pm with the jackpot's cash value

By Todd Northrop

The largest Powerball lottery jackpot in game history has been won Saturday night by a single ticket sold in the state of Florida.

The record $590.5 million Powerball jackpot, which is the second-largest of any lottery game in history, started as a $40 million prize on April 3, 2013, and continued accumulating prize money for 13 consecutive drawings, until it was finally won Saturday.

On Friday the game's organizer pegged the jackpot estimate at $600 million, but the actual total fell a bit short of that number.  Still, it was enough to secure second place on the list of all-time highest lottery jackpots, and the top Powerball jackpot in history.

After all the proceeds were counted, the final lump-sum cash value of the jackpot stood at $370.9 million.

The Powerball winning numbers for Saturday, May 18, 2013, were 10, 13, 14, 22, and 52, with Powerball number 11.

The big winner undoubtedly will get very little sleep Saturday night, as they try to process winning the Powerball's largest lottery jackpot ever.

Is the winner running around the house screaming?  Are they calling their family?  Or maybe calling their boss to quit their job?  What are they planning to do with all that loot?

What is the first thing you would do?

The winning ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, Fla., according to Florida Lottery executive Cindy O'Connell.  Zephyrhills is a suburb of Tampa.

"This would be the sixth Florida Powerball winner and right now, it's the sole winner of the largest ever Powerball jackpot," O'Connell told AP. "We're delighted right now that we have the sole winner."

She said Florida has had more Powerball winners than any other state.

The winner was not immediately identified publicly and O'Connell did not give any indication just hours after Saturday's drawing whether anyone had already stepped forward with that winning ticket.

With four out of every five possible combinations of Powerball numbers in play, lottery executives said earlier that someone was almost certain to win the game's highest jackpot, a windfall of hundreds of millions of dollars — and that's after taxes.

Fortunately, even if you didn't win the jackpot, the Powerball game still offers another 8 ways to win lower-tier prizes.

In addition to the jackpot winner, a whopping 35 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers, but not the Powerball, for a $1,000,000 prize: 2 from Arizona, 2 from California, 1 from Connecticut, 2 from Florida, 2 from Georgia, 2 from Kentucky, 1 from Louisiana, 2 from Missouri, 2 from New Hampshire, 3 from New Jersey, 7 from New York, 2 from Pennsylvania, 1 from South Carolina, 1 from Tennessee, 1 from Texas, 1 from Virginia, 1 from Washington, and 2 from Wisconsin.

The 2 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $2,309,228, because California does not award fixed prizes. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Of all the second-prize winners, only two of the tickets — one of the tickets sold in New York and the South Carolina ticket — were purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1.  Because they purchased the Power Play, those two tickets are now worth $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.

355 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000.  Of those tickets, 30 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000, and 41 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $8,945 this drawing.

The jackpot for the Wednesday Powerball drawing is reset to $40 million.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

A 44th Powerball state will be added some time in the next year, as the state of Wyoming has approved a new state lottery with the intention of joining Powerball and other multi-state lottery games. (See Wyoming officially becomes 44th state with a lottery, Lottery Post, Mar. 14, 2013.)

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

New York's avatarNew York

Truly astonishing! Congrats to the lucky winner or winners. They're rich forever!!

jackpotismine's avatarjackpotismine

Wow! Only one? Congrats to whomever won. Enjoy!

KSI30

Congrats to my fellow Floridian!!!

redhot7's avatarredhot7

I would take the annuity. Judging from the payout table, it's good enough for me.

Year     %       Prize B4 Taxes
01     1.78%     10,528,674
02     1.85%     10,949,821
03     1.93%     11,387,814
04     2.01%     11,843,326
05     2.09%     12,317,059
06     2.17%     12,809,742
07     2.26%     13,322,132
08     2.35%     13,855,017
09     2.44%     14,409,217
10     2.54%     14,985,586
11     2.64%     15,585,010
12     2.74%     16,208,410
13     2.85%     16,856,746
14     2.97%     17,531,016
15     3.09%     18,232,257
16     3.21%     18,961,547
17     3.34%     19,720,009
18     3.47%     20,508,809
19     3.61%     21,329,162
20     3.76%     22,182,328
21     3.91%     23,069,621
22     4.06%     23,992,406
23     4.23%     24,952,102
24     4.39%     25,950,187
25     4.57%     26,988,194
26     4.75%     28,067,722
27     4.94%     29,190,431
28     5.14%     30,358,048
29     5.35%     31,572,370
30     5.56%     32,835,265
     100.00%   590,500,029

Bumkillah

Lucky. Mosty likely it's a old head ???? welp lucky them. Mail For You

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

So close to a billion dollar jackpot...
Congrats to the winner(s).

Piaceri

White BouncesinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnersinglewinnerWhite Bounce

Lurking

PS - Congrats to the winner!

duckman's avatarduckman

Probably sold at a Publix in central or south Florida...

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

congrats to the 35 2nd prize winners, and double  shout out to the Ca. players on their $2+ mill wins

In3D30

I broke even with $4 bucks I matched the PB yay iam going to layoff Big Game Jackpots & play state for a few weeks.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Birthday numbers - 1

Congrats to the Winners spend Wisely Party

dumars798's avatardumars798

BIG CONGRATS TO THE LUCKY TICKET HOLDER!

Cheers

redhot7's avatarredhot7

UPDATE: winning ticket was sold at Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills. The store is located 7838 Gall Blvd Zephyrhills,  FL  33541-4302

Since it's a supermarket, I bet it's a self service machine.

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on May 19, 2013

UPDATE: winning ticket was sold at Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills. The store is located 7838 Gall Blvd Zephyrhills,  FL  33541-4302

what if it was richard he get his tickets there, oh man there be a lot of haters.Green laugh

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

This is absolutely amazing!  what a winfall for the winners!  best of luck to them all!

colatrips

Just one person took the jackpot that is truly amazing.  That individual can walk around as the king or queen of American lottery!

Congratulations Florida winner!

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by colatrips on May 19, 2013

Just one person took the jackpot that is truly amazing.  That individual can walk around as the king or queen of American lottery!

Congratulations Florida winner!

It might be an office pool.

colatrips

Yeah that's true. We will have to watch the news and see.  Still though whoever bought it what a lucky draw.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on May 19, 2013

http://goo.gl/maps/d26fK

goog maps

Lottery pool from mobile home retirement community across from the hospital down the street.... (guessing... lol)

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on May 19, 2013

Lottery pool from mobile home retirement community across from the hospital down the street.... (guessing... lol)

i was looking at the trailer park too

Could be Canadian tourists Hat

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on May 19, 2013

OMG! Green laugh

Stack47

I believe I read somewhere that Jack Whitaker moved to Zephyrhills, Florida. We know there is a trailer park so it could be him.

Hiding Behind Computer

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 19, 2013

I believe I read somewhere that Jack Whitaker moved to Zephyrhills, Florida. We know there is a trailer park so it could be him.

Hiding Behind Computer

maybe Smiley

Party1377

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on May 19, 2013

what if it was richard he get his tickets there, oh man there be a lot of haters.Green laugh

Who is Richard?

Also can I say FML lost again what else is new? LOL...........I had a chance to win in 3 states PA/NJ/NY bought in all 3 states since I live in PA, work in NY, and take a train to work from NJ. Been playing for years. (Oh well my time will come.) lol

Still SHOCKED that ONLY 1 person won. They should really claim through a trust.

Party1377

Hiding Behind Computer

WOW that would be INSANE if Jack Whitaker actually won AGAIN. Did he really move there?

Say what you want about him, but he did help people when he won. He gave money away to others not just spend on him self.

sandia's avatarsandia

1 ticket, from a new comer State! Oh my!. Well, I can eat humble pie with gladness. I was extrememly wrong about just 1 ticket winning.Green laugh.

Congratulations to the winner/winners.  Oh my, how are they feeling this very minute? Oh, the suspense! Florida, you have set the bar!

Hurray!.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Quote: Originally posted by Party1377 on May 19, 2013

Who is Richard?

Also can I say FML lost again what else is new? LOL...........I had a chance to win in 3 states PA/NJ/NY bought in all 3 states since I live in PA, work in NY, and take a train to work from NJ. Been playing for years. (Oh well my time will come.) lol

Still SHOCKED that ONLY 1 person won. They should really claim through a trust.

"They should really claim through a trust."

I don't know how claiming through a trust would benefit the Florida winner or winners in terms of protecting their identity.

"Can Lottery winners remain anonymous?

No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide the winner's name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information; however Florida Lottery winners' home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential."

source:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JwD43ItfyjsJ:www.flalottery.com/faq.do+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to the winners/s Woo  Hoo Hurray!

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

I can't wait until the lottery offices are open on Monday and the winner(s) come forward.  This should be interesting.  I hope whomever wins could really use the money.  Then again, who couldn't use $282,675,000 (the cash value in Florida after taxes)? 

I could definitely put that money to good use.  Wink Banana Sun Smiley

Masone

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on May 19, 2013

I don't know how claiming through a trust would benefit the Florida winner or winners in terms of protecting their identity.

No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide the winner's name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information; however Florida Lottery winners' home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential."

source:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JwD43ItfyjsJ:www.flalottery.com/faq.do+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This person should get a name change.

Quote: Originally posted by Masone on May 19, 2013

This person should get a name change.

David Smith would be a good name change. The news papers would have, "David Smith wins Powerball." They would be almost impossible to find. A negative would be a name change would delay the claims process by a few months. I don't think I could wait that long.

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Meanwhile, I'm glad I don't live in Cali, The 2 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $2,309,228 while last weeks second-prize winners won $256,317.

Quote: Originally posted by schmuckatelly on May 19, 2013

Meanwhile, I'm glad I don't live in Cali, The 2 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $2,309,228 while last weeks second-prize winners won $256,317.

Winning $2.3 million without having to buy the powerplay is a great outcome but the winners from the other draw that got $256K got the short end.

smooth11484's avatarsmooth11484

Ugh everyone's forgetting if the person takes the cash payout , where is the 300 and something million, that was not paid to the winner???? Does it go back into the pot? Hmmm

Quote: Originally posted by smooth11484 on May 19, 2013

Ugh everyone's forgetting if the person takes the cash payout , where is the 300 and something million, that was not paid to the winner???? Does it go back into the pot? Hmmm

$590.5 million is the annuity value. If the winner chose the annuity, the cash value is invested on behalf of the winner over a 30 year period and the sum of all the annual payments would equal $590.5 million before taxes.

If the winner takes the cash option, they get the money at its present day value.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by smooth11484 on May 19, 2013

that money never exist if you choose the cash option

that money never exist if you choose the cash option

I was just going to post that link. In the American games the advertised jackpot amount is the annuity value before taxes. Europeans and Canadians have the best lottery games. For their games, the advertised jackpot amount is the cash value after taxes.

smooth11484's avatarsmooth11484

I see. Sooo how come we as players cant see how much the lottery took in for the powerball? Or can we and trust me the money existed they prob took in over a billion in sells. That cash option was tiny compared to how much they took in now the jackpot is back to a little pot

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by sandia on May 19, 2013

1 ticket, from a new comer State! Oh my!. Well, I can eat humble pie with gladness. I was extrememly wrong about just 1 ticket winning.Green laugh.

Congratulations to the winner/winners.  Oh my, how are they feeling this very minute? Oh, the suspense! Florida, you have set the bar!

Hurray!.

No Florida has had Powerball for awhile. Just check the Powerball website to see FL has had previous PB winners. New to MM, but Gov. Chris Christie and VA won that. On a Sid note, I think I will just not read any news articles about lottery odds next time it gets big. I hate that I got psyched out of playing my lucky numbers!  10-13-14-22-52 and 11 were numbers I play regularly until I read a stupid article that listed one of those numbers. So I changed them up. Oh well, we shall never know who won since winners can claim without a press conference in FL.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Crazy whelp , that was fun ... congrats to the winner/s

onlymoney

It was me who won the JP. Yay. Anyone need any money?

Only serious people with financial woes. Thanks.

teyanno

cong.ruation...............i can use a few hundreds to pay off some bills.thanks   "it was me who won the JP. Yap. Anyone need any money?. Only serious people with finanical woes.Thanks"

jjtheprince

As hard as its been to win lately, I wonder if it will roll 15+ times again until there is another winner.

Bought 50 tickets & I didn't win jack lol what crappy luck.

FLATRANSPLANT's avatarFLATRANSPLANT

ZEPHYRILLS FLORIDA

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 10,833 people, 4,944 households, and 2,986 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,728.2 inhabitants per square mile (667.1/km²). There were 6,167 housing units at an average density of 983.8 per square mile (379.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 92.63% White, 2.79% African American, 0.23% Native American, 1.12% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.60% from other races, and 1.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.03% of the population.

There were 4,944 households out of which 20.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them. 46.5% were married couples living with others, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.6% were non-families. 34.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.10 and the average family size was 2.63.

In the city the population was spread out with 18.1% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 21.2% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 44.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 83.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.4 males.

The median income for a household in the city in 2005 was $33,100,[3] and the median income for a family was $33,502. Males had a median income of $29,375 versus $21,648 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,047. About 9.3% of families and 12.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.9% of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.

LiLSpeedy's avatarLiLSpeedy

I am so jealous but in a good way. My sincere congrats to you.

Party   Drum   Sun Smiley

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on May 19, 2013

No Florida has had Powerball for awhile. Just check the Powerball website to see FL has had previous PB winners. New to MM, but Gov. Chris Christie and VA won that. On a Sid note, I think I will just not read any news articles about lottery odds next time it gets big. I hate that I got psyched out of playing my lucky numbers!  10-13-14-22-52 and 11 were numbers I play regularly until I read a stupid article that listed one of those numbers. So I changed them up. Oh well, we shall never know who won since winners can claim without a press conference in FL.

Oh of course. I must have sleep typed that. Thank you OldSchoolPa.

Hey, if those were really your lucky numbers, bummer on getting psyched out of them. Still, it is truly astonishing that just ONE ticket had such a combination.

1977's avatar1977

The local news just said one of the STORE'S worker didnot show  up to WORK today!!!!!!!  and didnot call in   WOW!!!!!

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ONE TICKET HOLDER....

...but if it were me and i won on a Saturday...and had to work the next day...I'd go to work like nothing never happened.....and wait until Monday. That would give me time to get over my celebratory drunken stupor.....no....for real!

SIGN THE TICKET AND PUT IT UP!

1977's avatar1977

Quote: Originally posted by ConstantlyB on May 19, 2013

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ONE TICKET HOLDER....

...but if it were me and i won on a Saturday...and had to work the next day...I'd go to work like nothing never happened.....and wait until Monday. That would give me time to get over my celebratory drunken stupor.....no....for real!

SIGN THE TICKET AND PUT IT UP!

Yep The worker might just be sick from selling some many tickets yesterday....We all  will find out soon enough.Smile

duckman's avatarduckman

Congrats to the winner(s)! Hopefully the winner will take some time before coming forward to plan ahead...

kumazi30's avatarkumazi30

Congratulations to the lucky winner.

Libra0926

Lurking

REDHOT 7

U and another Poster who wrote about the "Trailer Community" made excellent points regarding the winners. It's possible that a "group" may have "pooled their funds" and purchased the 1 winning ticket.  I seriously doubt that Jack Wittaker is into the lottery anymore after all the trageties he has endured, especially as he has lost his family.  But you and  the other Poster might be right in your suggestions.

I am simply glad that no syndicate won the jackpot. They spend hundreds and hundreds$$$$$$$$$$  trying to beat the odds. I do hope it was someone or some group that really is in bad shape.

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

the closest ticket I has was   3   13  23  41   52 and PB 16.........I picked those out myself......well there went 15 tickets at 3.00 each.....  $45 dollars  .......beaudad......(maybe the numbers I picked out will win next Wednesday ?????????)

bondsolo

I totally agree. I would get more via installments than cash payout. Yet of course I have to read the "fine print".

bondsolo

Yep. I would not have just abruptly quit. I probably would have called in late maybe LOL...not cause of a drunken hangover, LOL...There is this thing called integrity. All depends tho', on the situation. There are some people who walk off jobs all the time...but I would carry on as natural...wait for a period of time and then give notice....and hey with that kind of money I could by the Publix LOL or....

SIGN THE TICKET AND SHUT UP!!!...and put my passport to use!!! LOL

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

congrats to the winner or winners! my sister lives in FLA, she didn't have any numbers to win, not even 5 numbers right. NC didn't even have 5 numbers correct winner at all. I spent 30.00 dollars and have no matching numbers not even a powerball number, some numbers I had on different lines. 20.00 dollars spent on quick picks and 10 dollars spent on my picks. O well, waiting on WEDNESDAY now. 40 million would be ok with me!

Ronnie316

Surprise surprise CA did NOT win.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on May 19, 2013

As hard as its been to win lately, I wonder if it will roll 15+ times again until there is another winner.

Bought 50 tickets & I didn't win jack lol what crappy luck.

Last time the big jackpot must have created a lot of new players because it had a hard time getting above the $40 million minimum for a while.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on May 19, 2013

Congrats to the winner(s)! Hopefully the winner will take some time before coming forward to plan ahead...

Show up Monday and get a check.

meriwetherman's avatarmeriwetherman

do u win anything for having the powerball number 11? maybe a dollar.........anyone know?

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by meriwetherman on May 19, 2013

do u win anything for having the powerball number 11? maybe a dollar.........anyone know?

Hi meriwetherman....the prize for matching the pb #11 is $4.00 and if you
chose powerplay....$12.00

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by New York on May 19, 2013

Truly astonishing! Congrats to the lucky winner or winners. They're rich forever!!

Until we read the story about how they blew through all that money!

Florida, huh? At least Dee Dee Moore is in jail!

KSI30

Lol

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on May 19, 2013

With this much money, it's hard to believe they anyone could blow through it and be broke.  You have to be a complete bonehead to screw up that bad unless that was your intention in the first place.  Some people just can't handle the financial windfall.  I think many lottery winners that end up that way had good intentions but were surrounded by greedy people.  Those winners probably overspent for today without thinking about tomorrowBanana

Ronnie316

Better to blow it than keep it in cold storage?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by ShowMeTheMoney$ on May 19, 2013

With this much money, it's hard to believe they anyone could blow through it and be broke.  You have to be a complete bonehead to screw up that bad unless that was your intention in the first place.  Some people just can't handle the financial windfall.  I think many lottery winners that end up that way had good intentions but were surrounded by greedy people.  Those winners probably overspent for today without thinking about tomorrowBanana

Let hope they at least end up with a house, car, and small income.

Good luck Florida jackpot winner!!!  You're going to need it.  Don't forget to get to hire an excellent financial team and practice saying the word, "NO!" Banana

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by ShowMeTheMoney$ on May 19, 2013

Good luck Florida jackpot winner!!!  You're going to need it.  Don't forget to get to hire an excellent financial team and practice saying the word, "NO!" Banana

Saying NO does not require "luck" and you don't need a financial team to pick up a check.

Rman313's avatarRman313

Yes I agree Rock!  Keep the faith!

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Congrats to the very lucky winner and of course Publix would sell the winning ticket. In November 2012 the jackpot was $587.5 million without California. Last night jackpot was $591.5 million and California was participating. Strange.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on May 19, 2013

Congrats to the very lucky winner and of course Publix would sell the winning ticket. In November 2012 the jackpot was $587.5 million without California. Last night jackpot was $591.5 million and California was participating. Strange.

I guess in the big picture, CA is irrelevant?

LotOfJack

Funny how most jackpots are a few million more than estimated. Yet a Florida winner gets a lower than estimated jackpot. Those Florida politics know what the hell they are doing, in the manner of 9.5 million plus. Where did it go???

But hey whats a few million when you talking $595.5 million.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by LotOfJack on May 19, 2013

Funny how most jackpots are a few million more than estimated. Yet a Florida winner gets a lower than estimated jackpot. Those Florida politics know what the hell they are doing, in the manner of 9.5 million plus. Where did it go???

$600 million was a round number estimate of how many tickets would be sold.

LotOfJack

Lottery folks are like the Vegas odds makers, they are highly dead on.

Ronnie316
Florida: No State Tax on Lottery Prizes!
Your average net per year: $14,762,500 Your net payout: $282,675,000
After 30 payments: $442,875,000
Annuity Payment Schedule

Georgia: 6% State Tax - $1,181,000
- $22,614,000
Your average net per year: $13,581,500 Your net payout: $260,061,000
After 30 payments: $407,445,000
Annuity Payment Schedule

Idaho: 7.8% State Tax - $1,535,300
- $29,398,200
Your average net per year: $13,227,200 Your net payout: $253,276,800
After 30 payments: $396,816,000
Annuity Payment Schedule
www.usamega.com Patriot
LotOfJack

Would not the cashout be lower with a lower than estimated jackpot.

you keep the 282,675,000 figure as the cashout

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Quote: Originally posted by LotOfJack on May 19, 2013

Don't know where you're getting your information about politics from, but you're wrong.

Whenever the MUSL gives a figure out, it's an estimate of what the jackpot may be. It's not etched in stone  that their figure will be spot on.

If you'll look back at some of their estimates they have been slightly higher, but occasionaly they're lower such as what happened last night. It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with politics whatsoever.

Total jackpot prize money last night was    590.5 Million.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

TYRANNY is when you win miilions, and are forced by MUSL, to have a press conference, regardless of  SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS, OR PERSONAL WISHES.  YOU just won millions of $$$, and still they think you ain't  S***, because you are not free to decide what you want. PUBLICITY OR NO PUBLICITY? You and not the lottery should be the one to make that decision. THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Kudos to the purchaser ! May you have the ability to remain calm, the wherewithall to seek the legal/financial guidance and the generosity to share wisely. Many sleepless nights are ahead until your new found wealth is physically in your control. Be cautious, be careful and leave a big tip for a struggling waiteress/waiter when you dine out(just a suggestion)........Congrats !!!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on May 19, 2013

Kudos to the purchaser ! May you have the ability to remain calm, the wherewithall to seek the legal/financial guidance and the generosity to share wisely. Many sleepless nights are ahead until your new found wealth is physically in your control. Be cautious, be careful and leave a big tip for a struggling waiteress/waiter when you dine out(just a suggestion)........Congrats !!!

Well said.Congratulations to the Winner/ Winners.
Perhaps we can all look at it this way: it was not our turn to win!

tnhope's avatartnhope

Congrats!!!Party

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

Oh well, back to focusing on the Ohio ($35.9 mil) and Michigan ($5.4 mil) jackpots...Yes Nod

Congrats to the winner; help some folks out who you love or even those you don't know but need it. You've been handed a tremendous gift, with an amount that can take care of all your wants/needs and generate positive things for many others.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 19, 2013

Saying NO does not require "luck" and you don't need a financial team to pick up a check.

I laugh every time someone suggests the winner needs "an excellent team of financial advisers" when the winner just needs a map to lottery headquarters.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Lawyers all over Florida are collapsing from over-undulation.

Early reports suggest that many lawyers in the Tampa area will need pelvis transplants.

KSI30

Amen to that!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on May 19, 2013

Well said.Congratulations to the Winner/ Winners.
Perhaps we can all look at it this way: it was not our turn to win!

I can look at it this way, if you don't mind.....  It was my turn to win, my timing was just off a bit.

Ronnie316

I laugh every time someone suggests the winner needs "an excellent team of financial advisers" when the winner just needs a map to lottery headquarters.

I Agree! I wonder how much Pedro paid for someone to tell him "pay your back due child support"?

Toronto

Only $464 million in tickets sold, that's lower than the drawing in November ($563 million, without California) and the Mega ($651 million from $1 tickets) from last year. I think the novelty of $400 million+ jackpots is wearing thin. There was a 26.56% chance of a rollover last night, so a billion dollar jackpot could happen still.

y2kjackson

Congrats to the winners! People talk about playing in office pools. I am greedy , i don't like sharing! But anyway , My state on North Carolina is long overdue for a huge jackpot winner. So i hope my time is coming or someone from my state as well!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by y2kjackson on May 19, 2013

Congrats to the winners! People talk about playing in office pools. I am greedy , i don't like sharing! But anyway , My state on North Carolina is long overdue for a huge jackpot winner. So i hope my time is coming or someone from my state as well!

I would rather share than win it alone.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on May 19, 2013

Only $464 million in tickets sold, that's lower than the drawing in November ($563 million, without California) and the Mega ($651 million from $1 tickets) from last year. I think the novelty of $400 million+ jackpots is wearing thin. There was a 26.56% chance of a rollover last night, so a billion dollar jackpot could happen still.

I Agree! I'm surprised there was a winner.

y2kjackson

I wonder when the next mega jackpot when , i wonder is it best to buy your tickets early or maybe close to the drawning.  Or doesn't it really matter?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by y2kjackson on May 19, 2013

I wonder when the next mega jackpot when , i wonder is it best to buy your tickets early or maybe close to the drawning.  Or doesn't it really matter?

If your buying QPs it kinda like a slot machine. When its right its right.

y2kjackson

If i had won , I would let the legal system play , lawyers , accountants ( good ones). Then move to a horse town or move to another country. Spread the wealth to my close inner circle of friends and family , in my family very few. Then deuces to everybody else!

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

You're absolutely correct if the winner has no other intention other than to spend their winnings.

Growing your wealth while minimizing your tax obligations is  just plain boring and frowned upon by most as a waste of money. Lottery winners have gotten by before they won so why would they even want advice from any attorney or financial advisor.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 19, 2013

You're absolutely correct if the winner has no other intention other than to spend their winnings.

Growing your wealth while minimizing your tax obligations is  just plain boring and frowned upon by most as a waste of money. Lottery winners have gotten by before they won so why would they even want advice from any attorney or financial advisor.

I guess for those who are obsessed with "growing wealth" it really doesn't matter how much wealth they have, they will continue to be obsessed with "growing" it.

I guess for those who are obsessed with "growing wealth" it really doesn't matter how much wealth they have, they will continue to be obsessed with "growing" it.

You sure you don't want to ask a financial adviser Evil Looking

Ronnie316

I think I wil save SOME of my money and ENJOY spending the rest.

Ronnie316

Thumbs Up

If your buying QPs it kinda like a slot machine. When its right its right.

Winners play QP Hurray!

Thumbs Up

Hat

Ronnie316

I Agree! attorneys and financial advisers are a waste of money.

Ronnie316

Hat

Troll

Troll

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I Agree! attorneys and financial advisers are a waste of money.

I Agree!

What better place to be: kinda like the story what big purse you have Red Devil

Ronnie316

What better place to be: kinda like the story what big purse you have Red Devil

I Agree! Having millions "saved" is over rated. Having 100s of millions (and growing) is futility.

Green laughThe tongue-firmly-in-cheek post of the day. Or month/year.

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 19, 2013

Green laugh

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 19, 2013

Green laugh And she says it with such disdain for people who "spend" their money.... LOL

Artist77's avatarArtist77

lol Jill. You can't be logical with the ones who consider themselves smarter than every attorney and financial advisor.

The sign of an intelligent person is that they believe there are others who know more than they do in certain areas.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 19, 2013

lol Jill. You can't be logical with the ones who consider themselves smarter than every attorney and financial advisor.

The sign of an intelligent person is that they believe there are others who know more than they do in certain areas.

Ok yeah, I really need to be a financial genius to buy a piece of land or put some money in a mutual fund. And oh yeah, if I wanted an annuity I would certainly need the state of AZ to get it for me. Green laugh

Ronnie316

When it comes to things like getting my vehicle repaired I totally agree. They have the shop, tools, and expertise to get it done fast, so even though I could do it myself I take it to them. Financial advisors no.

I think I wil save SOME of my money and ENJOY spending the rest.

David Edwards, Bud Post and Jack Whitaker all had that same mentality. Great minds think alike.

Stack47

My comments were about when the jackpot winner needs financial advice and not about if they need financial advice.

When it comes to things like getting my vehicle repaired I totally agree. They have the shop, tools, and expertise to get it done fast, so even though I could do it myself I take it to them. Financial advisors no.

i like washing my own car Looks good Big Grinclean

scarchelli's avatarscarchelli

Lol no offense to anyone here but ur talking about not getting fimancial advice from an expert but u religiously play the lottery...well play at least enough that u have an account here.  Know it alls are funny.

Quote: Originally posted by scarchelli on May 19, 2013

Lol no offense to anyone here but ur talking about not getting fimancial advice from an expert but u religiously play the lottery...well play at least enough that u have an account here.  Know it alls are funny.

Thanks for the fimancial adviceDance

It's not about being smarter. It's about being honest. A lot of attorneys and financial advisers put themselves first. When I win, I will avoid those two groups!

Ok yeah, I really need to be a financial genius to buy a piece of land or put some money in a mutual fund. And oh yeah, if I wanted an annuity I would certainly need the state of AZ to get it for me. Green laugh

As you had mentioned in a previous post, buying dirt and getting 1000 times your original investment is certainly worth while. Not having to worry about expenses such as developing the land, zoning, installing roadways and utilities makes it quite pleasant.

Only the uninformed would hire project managers and contractors since that would be a waste of money. An intelligent individual such as yourself could easily handle all the workload without the need for any so-called expert.

As you had mentioned in a previous post, buying dirt and getting 1000 times your original investment is certainly worth while. Not having to worry about expenses such as developing the land, zoning, installing roadways and utilities makes it quite pleasant.

Only the uninformed would hire project managers and contractors since that would be a waste of money. An intelligent individual such as yourself could easily handle all the workload without the need for any so-called expert.

lol Hurray!

It's not about being smarter. It's about being honest. A lot of attorneys and financial advisers put themselves first. When I win, I will avoid those two groups!

Unfortunately there are many professionals who lack integrity. Many attorneys and those in finance are part of that group.

It is best to do your homework prior to retaining either one to help you with your needs.

Unfortunately there are many professionals who lack integrity. Many attorneys and those in finance are part of that group.

It is best to do your homework prior to retaining either one to help you with your needs.

Amen. And go to an attorney with expertise in that field. You can easily check an attorney's bar status online in most if not all states(disciplinary history as well) etc. and google them.

Stack47

You're missing the most important part of the equation; there is nothing to invest before the ticket is validated and that can only be done at lottery headquarters. With the size of this jackpot, it will take 2, 3, or more weeks before a check can be issued and in most states the winner has a period of time to decide cash or payments. What is the necessity of planning a financial strategy that must be done before the ticket is validated?

Any advice from lawyers depends on how complicated the winner wants to make it. If they take the cash, the lottery will deduct 25% for Federal taxes regardless if it's a lawyer or a brother-in-law objecting.

hsg2000

Todd

Can you tell us how much money was put into this powerball lottery whose drawing was held on saturday 5/18/2013

and how the tickets were bought from different states and how many folks from overseas also bought tickets for the powerball.

It will be interesting to know the money flowed into buying the powerball lottery and it was spent, thw winner, states and the lottery promoters made.

I bought 5 tickets for this game from Missouri.

thanks and hope to hear from and MUSL

hsg

US Flag Lurking No Pity!

scarchelli's avatarscarchelli

You're missing the most important part of the equation; there is nothing to invest before the ticket is validated and that can only be done at lottery headquarters. With the size of this jackpot, it will take 2, 3, or more weeks before a check can be issued and in most states the winner has a period of time to decide cash or payments. What is the necessity of planning a financial strategy that must be done before the ticket is validated?

Any advice from lawyers depends on how complicated the winner wants to make it. If they take the cash, the lottery will deduct 25% for Federal taxes regardless if it's a lawyer or a brother-in-law objecting.

Yes that is so true, you should definitely go cash in the winning ticket and meet the press and do all that stuff THEN meet a llawyer....sarcasm.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by hsg2000 on May 19, 2013

Todd

Can you tell us how much money was put into this powerball lottery whose drawing was held on saturday 5/18/2013

and how the tickets were bought from different states and how many folks from overseas also bought tickets for the powerball.

It will be interesting to know the money flowed into buying the powerball lottery and it was spent, thw winner, states and the lottery promoters made.

I bought 5 tickets for this game from Missouri.

thanks and hope to hear from and MUSL

hsg

US Flag Lurking No Pity!

The prize distribution can be found on http://www.usamega.com/powerball-drawing.asp?d=5/18/2013 and I found one source with $464,536,548 in total sales with another $21,597,123bet on PowerPlay. There is no overseas sales and no record of how many tickets were bought for overseas players.

To find the total sales for the last run, divide the cash value by the percentage that goes towards the jackpot.

alienware32

I'm not speaking of the lottery being rigged in the same way as was done in Pennsylvania.  It's certainly not rigged each and every week for one specific person to win.  It is however rigged so that the prize money is distributed evenly in all regions.  It is rigged to make sure that any one single person does not win multiples of the same prize level from the same drawing.

You may have won multiple prizes over a period of time by correctly matching 4 of 6 numbers.  Have you ever won multiples of prizes by matching 4 of 6 numbers from the same drawing.  That would imply that you had a level of certainty about playing those numbers.  Which is something "they" will go to great pains to keep from happening.

As far as my example of demographics is concerned, you are right, that would be a conspiracy, and it is.  Of course nobody will speak up about it, because nobody wants the lottery to be shut down.  The average person does not care whether or not the numbers are drawn randomly.  As long as they have the chance to pay a dollar every day or week for the chance of being one of the lucky people in the right place at the right time.

Let's talk about odds for a minute.  Isn't it odd that every week a combination of numbers that nobody in the pool of players would ever think of picking is drawn.  Why is it that a combination that many people have played is never drawn?  The odds are the same that any combination could be picked, thus making the odds the same that few people would pick the winning numbers as the odds that many people would.  Why is it always that few people do?  Not because the odds are against it.  The odds are the same.

The real odds we speak of are the odds dictated by those running the lottery.  Sure we can review a history of the drawings.  But I'm asserting that we're reviewing a history of drawings that are not random.

Draw six cards from a deck.  Have 1 million people guess at what 6 numbers were drawn.  Is it probable that only a handful of people were even close to being correct?   It's just as probable that many many people were very close.  Is it very probable that only 1 person in 3 million guessed the exact combination? It's just as probable that 500 people guessed the exact combination.   In a random drawing there are no probabilities.  Every thing  and anything has exactly the same odds of happening.  So how is it that each and every week, after a so called random lottery drawing, the same thing happens.  Few people win anything.  Why is it that many people never win something, when the odds of that happening are exactly the same?

It's been said to me by someone the the MUSL(Powerball) that they have 40 accounting firms on hand to review each and every drawing making certain there is no foul play.  He also said "I know it's hard to prove the drawings are random, but they are." Yet there is one simple easy way to ensure the drawings are random.  Take the handling of the drawing out of the the hands of those running the lottery.  Put it in the hands of people not associated as organizers or players of the lottery.  Hire an independent firm to not just analyze and oversee, but to control the drawings.  A firm that has no access to the lotteries computer information of what combinations have been played where, and how often.

Just let them turn the machine on and pick some balls. I guarantee you'll see a significant increase and just as probable decrease in the payout and distribution of prizes. Do I just sound like a disgruntled player that is mad because I never win?  Well I've picked 4 of 6 in a 6/48, 3 times in the last 7 years, and 4 of 5/36 in the last 2 months.  I spend about $10 dollars a week on the lottery.  I'm not mad that I don't win.  I'm mad that the chances of me winning are not a matter of randomness, but a matter of controlled distribution to random people in designated areas.

Perhaps it cannot be guaranteed who exactly will have the right numbers, but it is guaranteed that it will be someone in an area that the lottery people decide.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by scarchelli on May 19, 2013

Yes that is so true, you should definitely go cash in the winning ticket and meet the press and do all that stuff THEN meet a llawyer....sarcasm.

The complications I'm talking about are forming trusts or other complicated stuff when a lawyer is needed. I thought it was obvious if a winner wants to claim his winning with a trust, a lawyer is necessary.  Without any complications, why do you need a lawyer?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by alienware32 on May 19, 2013

I'm not speaking of the lottery being rigged in the same way as was done in Pennsylvania.  It's certainly not rigged each and every week for one specific person to win.  It is however rigged so that the prize money is distributed evenly in all regions.  It is rigged to make sure that any one single person does not win multiples of the same prize level from the same drawing.

You may have won multiple prizes over a period of time by correctly matching 4 of 6 numbers.  Have you ever won multiples of prizes by matching 4 of 6 numbers from the same drawing.  That would imply that you had a level of certainty about playing those numbers.  Which is something "they" will go to great pains to keep from happening.

As far as my example of demographics is concerned, you are right, that would be a conspiracy, and it is.  Of course nobody will speak up about it, because nobody wants the lottery to be shut down.  The average person does not care whether or not the numbers are drawn randomly.  As long as they have the chance to pay a dollar every day or week for the chance of being one of the lucky people in the right place at the right time.

Let's talk about odds for a minute.  Isn't it odd that every week a combination of numbers that nobody in the pool of players would ever think of picking is drawn.  Why is it that a combination that many people have played is never drawn?  The odds are the same that any combination could be picked, thus making the odds the same that few people would pick the winning numbers as the odds that many people would.  Why is it always that few people do?  Not because the odds are against it.  The odds are the same.

The real odds we speak of are the odds dictated by those running the lottery.  Sure we can review a history of the drawings.  But I'm asserting that we're reviewing a history of drawings that are not random.

Draw six cards from a deck.  Have 1 million people guess at what 6 numbers were drawn.  Is it probable that only a handful of people were even close to being correct?   It's just as probable that many many people were very close.  Is it very probable that only 1 person in 3 million guessed the exact combination? It's just as probable that 500 people guessed the exact combination.   In a random drawing there are no probabilities.  Every thing  and anything has exactly the same odds of happening.  So how is it that each and every week, after a so called random lottery drawing, the same thing happens.  Few people win anything.  Why is it that many people never win something, when the odds of that happening are exactly the same?

It's been said to me by someone the the MUSL(Powerball) that they have 40 accounting firms on hand to review each and every drawing making certain there is no foul play.  He also said "I know it's hard to prove the drawings are random, but they are." Yet there is one simple easy way to ensure the drawings are random.  Take the handling of the drawing out of the the hands of those running the lottery.  Put it in the hands of people not associated as organizers or players of the lottery.  Hire an independent firm to not just analyze and oversee, but to control the drawings.  A firm that has no access to the lotteries computer information of what combinations have been played where, and how often.

Just let them turn the machine on and pick some balls. I guarantee you'll see a significant increase and just as probable decrease in the payout and distribution of prizes. Do I just sound like a disgruntled player that is mad because I never win?  Well I've picked 4 of 6 in a 6/48, 3 times in the last 7 years, and 4 of 5/36 in the last 2 months.  I spend about $10 dollars a week on the lottery.  I'm not mad that I don't win.  I'm mad that the chances of me winning are not a matter of randomness, but a matter of controlled distribution to random people in designated areas.

Perhaps it cannot be guaranteed who exactly will have the right numbers, but it is guaranteed that it will be someone in an area that the lottery people decide.

Welcome to LP alien.

yoho

It's so sad when people don't understand probability and statistics, and are so stubborn about it.

What you're suggesting to do is absolutely impossible. They don't know WHO bought the ticket. They only know where it's bought. So how can they stop

people from winning "multiples of the same prize level"? How is it physically possible? \

The reason people don't match 4/6 in the same drawing is because the chances of that are very small, that's all. If you spend 4 bucks, buy 2 lines and none

of the numbers are the same, you automatically forced yourself into a situation where you can't win the 4/6 prize 2 times that drawing. The lottery offcials

did nothing.

Ronnie316

No doubt as a financial consultant you are very skilled at over complicating simple things. (and getting paid to do so) In my example I was talking about buying and holding land. NOT developing it.

Can't wait to see the new winners,Hurray!

lottoguysocal's avatarlottoguysocal

not yet, soon enough, soon enough

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the winner.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

It seems that the interest for this particular PB record jackpot was much lower than MM record jackpot a year ago, at least in the state of CA.

There are 769,585 winning tickets from PB and 3,009,642 winning tickets from MM in the state. The odds of winning anything with PB is actually better so if given the same enthusiasm, the number of winning tickets from PB should be higher.

I think the $2 ticket price discourages people to buy more tickets if at all.

Tatototman65's avatarTatototman65

^^^I didn't buy any tickets. I'm still boycotting...

Smile

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Tatototman65 on May 19, 2013

^^^I didn't buy any tickets. I'm still boycotting...

Smile

Your boycott must not be working, I read MM will be changing its format later this year to be more competitive with PB. 

I thought MM was doing fine but the powers that  be must think having more losers per dollar spent will make them more competitive.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

It is rigged to make sure that any one single person does not win multiples of the same prize level from the same drawing.

There was a case a few years ago when an individual bought 5 lines with the same 5 white balls but different mega balls. All 5 balls match but he missed the red ball. He collected 5 millions I think.

I remember that the news was posted in the lottery post archive.

bluemoon03

I've already seen Facebooks and Instagrams of the *lottery winner*...Hmmmm... I doubt it's real though. Poke

Nino224's avatarNino224

Sadly, Florida winners are not allowed to remain anonymous. I hope that rule is amended soon.

duckman's avatarduckman

The big Powerball winner was a Quick Pick ... talk about the right place at the right time!

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on May 20, 2013

The big Powerball winner was a Quick Pick ... talk about the right place at the right time!

Wow, that's a very lucky QP especially if he or she only bought ONE ticket.

duckman's avatarduckman

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on May 20, 2013

Wow, that's a very lucky QP especially if he or she only bought ONE ticket.

The latest Florida Lottery press release said it was a Quick Pick but it didn't say if it was just one on the ticket. If it was ONE ticket, that should become the poster child for the saying "it only takes one ticket to win".

Masone

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on May 20, 2013

Party1377

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on May 19, 2013

source:

You can still claim "blind trust" or LLC all media would be directed to your lawyer. Again you can get around it.

Also "an excellent team of financial advisers" & tax lawyers are big.

I wonder how many QP's did the winner buy?

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Party1377 on May 20, 2013

You can still claim "blind trust" or LLC all media would be directed to your lawyer. Again you can get around it.

Has anyone ACTUALLY managed to claim with a trust in a state that doesn't allow anonymity?
Is it a guarantee that nobody is going to be able to find out like through Freedom of Information Act?
How much hassle would you have to go through and how much would it cost?

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

In most states the rules say that the names of lottery winners must be released. The rules generally don't say that the name of the ticket owner or claimant must be released. The lottery can't be won by a trust that was formed after the drawing created the winner, even if the trust is the legal entity that claims the prize. Some states may be cooperative, but such a rule gives them the legal authority to release the name of the person who won, regardless of how they go about claiming the prize.

Toronto

Most states stipulate a particular type of trust or corporation is eligible to claim - in California, the grantor must be the winner and it is tied to a grantor's social security #. They cannot be blind. Some other states will allow S corps, which pass through to a shareholder - that shareholder will be the winners and those name would be announced. The other option is a non-profit, but you would be giving away all your money in that case.

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on May 19, 2013

Crazy whelp , that was fun ... congrats to the winner/s

Green laugh

No doubt as a financial consultant you are very skilled at over complicating simple things. (and getting paid to do so) In my example I was talking about buying and holding land. NOT developing it.

The example you gave was of Fountain Hills in Arizona. You stated that the value had gone up 1000 fold. Most of that gain was derived after developing the community thereby incurring a great deal of time and expense. Raw land may indeed go up in value but not as much as a parcel that has had all the infrastructure put in place.

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 20, 2013

In most states the rules say that the names of lottery winners must be released. The rules generally don't say that the name of the ticket owner or claimant must be released. The lottery can't be won by a trust that was formed after the drawing created the winner, even if the trust is the legal entity that claims the prize. Some states may be cooperative, but such a rule gives them the legal authority to release the name of the person who won, regardless of how they go about claiming the prize.

I wasn't aware that a trust couldn't be formed after a prize was won. There have been many winners that have claimed their prize under a trust so perhaps some states are willing to bend the rules?

STORM's avatarSTORM

Quote: Originally posted by dumars798 on May 19, 2013

BIG CONGRATS TO THE LUCKY TICKET HOLDER!

Cheers

I second that, Cheers

gogidolim

Should I be worried? I read from SomethingAwful forum that the town the PB was one is practically straight outta Deliverance.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 20, 2013

I wasn't aware that a trust couldn't be formed after a prize was won. There have been many winners that have claimed their prize under a trust so perhaps some states are willing to bend the rules?

Perhaps you could PM KY and purchase some consulting services? Green laugh

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by STORM on May 20, 2013

I second that, Cheers

I Agree!    Cheers

Ronnie316

The example you gave was of Fountain Hills in Arizona. You stated that the value had gone up 1000 fold. Most of that gain was derived after developing the community thereby incurring a great deal of time and expense. Raw land may indeed go up in value but not as much as a parcel that has had all the infrastructure put in place.

Right, but a person does not need to be a developer to own some of the adjoining land. A person does however need a little foresight and intestinal fortitude to buy land AHEAD of developers and development.

Ronnie316

I was here in AZ 30 years ago when people were LAUGHED AT for even considering a land purchase in the dessert. (now Fountain Hills) Sure "the fountain" put the developers over but anyone could have forseen that Scottsdale would eventually break out in that direction and bought land out there "dirt cheap".

LottoPools's avatarLottoPools

Didn't think it would be a single ticket winner.  I'm just glad it wasn't won in the northeast.

Ronnie316

Im happy for the FL winner. Yes Nod

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to the jackpot winner in Florida. This will be part of my current event. What do you think about my comment?

Many jackpots through the years in both national big-game lottos and state ones have been claimed in some form of trust after a winning drawing. In Ohio alone there have probably been several dozen.

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on May 20, 2013

Many jackpots through the years in both national big-game lottos and state ones have been claimed in some form of trust after a winning drawing. In Ohio alone there have probably been several dozen.

That was my understanding as well. I was just responding to someone who mentioned that most states do not allow a trust to be formed adter having won a large prize.

I thought perhaps it was something new that was just implemented.

That was my understanding as well. I was just responding to someone who mentioned that most states do not allow a trust to be formed adter having won a large prize.

Yep.

For 20-25 years, before the advent and popularity of PB and MM, Ohio Lotto main game was won every few weeks on average, 'modest' prizes usually between $4-16 million. Many of those were claimed through some form of a trust.

Todd's avatarTodd

For those wondering, I have confirmed the final cash value of the jackpot — $370.9 million.  (Exactly $370,896,780.54.)

Matsy's avatarMatsy

Congratulations to someone and family.  You have truly been blessed!  Party

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Yes, In FL you can claim with a trust all day long.  Catch is they list the trustee of the trust as well as the name of the Trust.  Wonder if you could have an LLC or a Corporation as the trustee, or if it has to be a person?

Gopher701

I would take the annuity. Judging from the payout table, it's good enough for me.

Year     %       Prize B4 Taxes
01     1.78%     10,528,674
02     1.85%     10,949,821
03     1.93%     11,387,814
04     2.01%     11,843,326
05     2.09%     12,317,059
06     2.17%     12,809,742
07     2.26%     13,322,132
08     2.35%     13,855,017
09     2.44%     14,409,217
10     2.54%     14,985,586
11     2.64%     15,585,010
12     2.74%     16,208,410
13     2.85%     16,856,746
14     2.97%     17,531,016
15     3.09%     18,232,257
16     3.21%     18,961,547
17     3.34%     19,720,009
18     3.47%     20,508,809
19     3.61%     21,329,162
20     3.76%     22,182,328
21     3.91%     23,069,621
22     4.06%     23,992,406
23     4.23%     24,952,102
24     4.39%     25,950,187
25     4.57%     26,988,194
26     4.75%     28,067,722
27     4.94%     29,190,431
28     5.14%     30,358,048
29     5.35%     31,572,370
30     5.56%     32,835,265
     100.00%   590,500,029

How much do we knw about the Multi-State Lottery System ("MUSL") ?

I do not see any audited financials linked to there Website.

Does an annuity winner have any input into the securities purchased?

I have no reason to doubt their honesty and ability to meet their obligations.

A few names to consider Bernie Madoff, Enron, Lehman Brothers, and World Com.

One thing for sure the states are not going to make up for any shortfall in order to pay a millionaire!!!

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

My understanding was (of that comment) that one couldn't claim the jackpot as a blind trust unless it was established before the drawing... Maybe I was off? :-/

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 20, 2013

Congratulations to the jackpot winner in Florida. This will be part of my current event. What do you think about my comment?

i think your comment is wonderful. Cool

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 20, 2013

That is one fine comment.

It would be very hard to improve on that one.

I think I'm going to bookmark it for future reference.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by gogidolim on May 20, 2013

Should I be worried? I read from SomethingAwful forum that the town the PB was one is practically straight outta Deliverance.

"Should I be worried?"

Yeah, they like Chinamen down there.

So be careful.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Gopher701 on May 20, 2013

How much do we knw about the Multi-State Lottery System ("MUSL") ?

I do not see any audited financials linked to there Website.

Does an annuity winner have any input into the securities purchased?

I have no reason to doubt their honesty and ability to meet their obligations.

A few names to consider Bernie Madoff, Enron, Lehman Brothers, and World Com.

One thing for sure the states are not going to make up for any shortfall in order to pay a millionaire!!!

From what I understand, MUSL invests lottery money in low risk more secure investments, like US Government Bonds and not higher risk like the one made by Madoff or Enron.

Remember, they invest the whole lump sum and with that and the interest they made, they only give you little by little each year for  30 years. So, they have plenty of time to meet their obligation.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 20, 2013

For those wondering, I have confirmed the final cash value of the jackpot — $370.9 million.  (Exactly $370,896,780.54.)

The winner better acts quickly. They only have 2 months from the draw date if they want the cash option.

IamTheWinner

My dream is death, my life over. spent 60 dollars only get 4 dollar back.Disapprove

Quote: Originally posted by LottoPools on May 20, 2013

Didn't think it would be a single ticket winner.  I'm just glad it wasn't won in the northeast.

I Agree!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

I didn't say that a trust can't be formed after the drawing. I said a trust that's formed after the drawing can't be the winner. The  drawing creates a winner, so an  entity that doesn't exist yet can't possibly win.

If you win and then form a trust to claim the prize you're still the winner, and the trust is claiming the prize on your behalf. In most states the rules say they release the name of the winner, not the name of the entity claiming the prize. There's a reason that when we read stories about winners who have consulted lawyers and financial advisors most of the stories still have the name of the winner.

yoho

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 20, 2013

I didn't say that a trust can't be formed after the drawing. I said a trust that's formed after the drawing can't be the winner. The  drawing creates a winner, so an  entity that doesn't exist yet can't possibly win.

If you win and then form a trust to claim the prize you're still the winner, and the trust is claiming the prize on your behalf. In most states the rules say they release the name of the winner, not the name of the entity claiming the prize. There's a reason that when we read stories about winners who have consulted lawyers and financial advisors most of the stories still have the name of the winner.

But surely there are ways around that...

For example, you're allowed to give lottery tickets as gifts, right? Then you just simply "gift" the ticket to a trust you just created...

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by ashabug725 on May 20, 2013

My understanding was (of that comment) that one couldn't claim the jackpot as a blind trust unless it was established before the drawing... Maybe I was off? :-/

A blind trust would prevent the winner from knowing how their money was being invested by the trustee. People talk about ways to remain anonymous, but I really believe most of us would take the chance of our names being known rather than not knowing how our $222 million after tax winnings are being invested.

The winner can form a regular trust but their name will be published. With this amount of money if the winner wants to spread it among his family members, a trust would be a very good choice.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by yoho on May 21, 2013

But surely there are ways around that...

For example, you're allowed to give lottery tickets as gifts, right? Then you just simply "gift" the ticket to a trust you just created...

You're missing the point, the lottery wants the name of the person who bought the ticket and trusts under 18 years-old can't legally buy a lottery ticket.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 20, 2013

what will that person get after taxes?

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by Bumkillah on May 19, 2013

Lucky. Mosty likely it's a old head ???? welp lucky them. Mail For You

I'd say an old retiree form nearby! congrats to whom ever it is!

Quote: Originally posted by rock_nc on May 21, 2013

what will that person get after taxes?

The winner(s) will get a tad over $278 million. They will be responsible for another $54 million in Federal taxes as well as a healthcare tax which may tack on $14 million more towards their tax obligations.

The total net should be a little over $200 million....good thing there isn't a state income tax in Florida!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 21, 2013

The winner(s) will get a tad over $278 million. They will be responsible for another $54 million in Federal taxes as well as a healthcare tax which may tack on $14 million more towards their tax obligations.

The total net should be a little over $200 million....good thing there isn't a state income tax in Florida!

$14 million for healthcare tax?

Man, what happened to "not one dime more?"

Oh yeah, I forgot, being rich puts you on the Enemies List.

Dk25

The powerball winner would receive a little over 300 million....

Also, rumor has it the winner worked at Publix...she is 26 years old and worked at the deli counter...went to Publix today and all the employees are talking about it...

One person to get all that money....<snip>! Puke 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 21, 2013

$14 million for healthcare tax?

Man, what happened to "not one dime more?"

Oh yeah, I forgot, being rich puts you on the Enemies List.

Ridge-  "not one dime more" was a talking point mistake that was inherited from the previous administration.

In terms of the healthcare tax, 200k/250k will be the basis depending on whether you're single or married.

Either a 3.8% Obamacare tax or 2.35% medicare part A tax will be applied to any unearned/investment income as well as earned income

for those individuals who exceed the 200k/250k income allowance that is given. 

These additional taxes will depend on if Obamacare get repealed or not.

Quote: Originally posted by Dk25 on May 21, 2013

The powerball winner would receive a little over 300 million....

Also, rumor has it the winner worked at Publix...she is 26 years old and worked at the deli counter...went to Publix today and all the employees are talking about it...

One person to get all that money....<snip>! Puke 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

The news media has been touting that the winner will get over $300 million after taxes which is completely false. The cash value is $370.9 million and after 25% Federal taxes are deducted, their initial take home amount is a little over $278 million.

The winner will be responsible for additional taxes when they file their returns and the true net amount will be just a bit over $200 million

Dk25

Well that's a lot of money either way......

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

The news media has been touting that the winner will get over $300 million after taxes which is completely false. The cash value is $370.9 million and after 25% Federal taxes are deducted, their initial take home amount is a little over $278 million.

The winner will be responsible for additional taxes when they file their returns and the true net amount will be just a bit over $200 million

You're fabulous!! Lovies

Ronnie316

It is a very bold assumption that the winner will pay a full 39% tax.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on May 21, 2013

You're fabulous!! Lovies

Thumbs Down

Ronnie316

If a person decided to give the entire amount to charity the tax bill would be exactly ZERO.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 21, 2013

They could claim $300 million in lottery losses. Wonder how many shoe boxes it takes to hold $300 million worth of losing tickets?

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

I'm gonna play my state lotteries from now on,  these   big national ones have awful odds of winning anything.  I bet I'd get hit by lighting, before I would win any amount of money.

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Why is it , the Powerball winner has only 60 days to turn in his ticket , In florida they've 180   days...

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by brees2012 on May 21, 2013

Why is it , the Powerball winner has only 60 days to turn in his ticket , In florida they've 180   days...

All Terminal game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Florida Lottery district office on or before the 180th day after the winning drawing. .....

FLORIDA LOTTO, MEGA MILLIONS, POWERBALL and MEGA MONEY jackpot winners who want the Cash Option payment must claim their prizes within the first 60 days after the draw date. If the prize is not claimed within the first 60 days of the redemption period, it will be paid out in annual payments.

Florida Lottery

hurley1333

This may be the most incisive post I have read about the rigging that occurs in lotteries.  I should add that I think the lottery management can actively intervene to preclude a winning for any draw.  For example, the Illinois lottery has changed markedly in the last 3 years or so that it has been on private management. 

For example Lotto Illinois used to a game in which there was an amost guranteed winner every week.  It was a popular game costing only 50 cts a panel. with a minimum wager of 2 panels. These days, Lotto Illinois is in perpetual roll-over, often going 10 or so draws without a winner. 

I miss the old days when one had a fair shot at winning.   I resent the present arrangement where you play and someone, not the game, decides If there will be a winner

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on May 21, 2013

All Terminal game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Florida Lottery district office on or before the 180th day after the winning drawing. .....

FLORIDA LOTTO, MEGA MILLIONS, POWERBALL and MEGA MONEY jackpot winners who want the Cash Option payment must claim their prizes within the first 60 days after the draw date. If the prize is not claimed within the first 60 days of the redemption period, it will be paid out in annual payments.

Florida Lottery

Thank You .............Redhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 21, 2013

If the winner(s) decide to bypass tax and legal advice, then paying 39.6% might be a reality. Mitigating millions in possible deductions doesn't come easy but I will assume that a few here at LP feel they can take on the IRS without the need for any professional help.

A very generous individual could donate ALL their winnings to charity and actually get a refund back from the IRS...I think it's safe to say it won't be happening anytime soon.

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 21, 2013

They could claim $300 million in lottery losses. Wonder how many shoe boxes it takes to hold $300 million worth of losing tickets?

If they were able to claim $300 million in lottery losses, then they would have an even greater problem....explaining to the IRS how they came up with that much money to begin withEek

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on May 22, 2013

If they were able to claim $300 million in lottery losses, then they would have an even greater problem....explaining to the IRS how they came up with that much money to begin withEek

They don't have to explain anything. They could just invoke the fifth

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on May 22, 2013

Zinnnnngg!!!

Good zinger!  Thumbs Up

She did nothing wrong but she's gonna plead the 5th anyway just cuz she doesn't feel like talking about it. Now she'll get another big bonus and a raise and be promoted and put in charge of another agency! Life is good when you have friends in high places.

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on May 22, 2013

The IRS would invoke the fifth if asked to testify about their activities but they would raid our home, freeze our assets,throw us in jail before asking questions.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

The IRS would invoke the fifth if asked to testify about their activities but they would raid our home, freeze our assets,throw us in jail before asking questions.

Who can you trust these days! Not even our own GOVERNMENT!! Not even the rule of Law!! We each live in our little world, with our Family and Friends, we don't know what's going on up in the White House, all these scandals, what else is going to happen! I know this was the first time in 3 years, I didn't have to pay in taxes. Got a little back! So I'm thinking, I'm kinda glad I didn't win that money. Look at all the problems you will have with that much money! People would want to kidnap you or your kids. So many people wanting a piece of it. What a big change it would be to your life and to your family lives too. Look at what happen in Oklahoma, their life has changed in a matter of minutes. Family members would get mad if you just give them like 50,000 thousand dollars each, they would be expecting more than that! Read a post the other day about people who won the lottery and now they are all broke. Jack Whittker would be a good example of this. After reading these post on how much you will have to pay in Taxes and Health care tax, plus have to pay a tax on being rich! Nope!! Just a little small win would be ok with me!! Just enough to get by for the rest of my life. I would say a million dollars would do it for me! Really don't need all that lavish life style, 4 or 5 home scatter all across America! A bunch of fancy cars!! nope not me! Just enough to get by!!

Ronnie316

Another really stupid assumption Jill. I think its reasonable to believe that anyone who is smart enough to come up with $300 million in losing tickets is smart enough to realize that they will need to explain where they got them. Besides that I think the whole point of NOT paying 39% tax went right over your head.

Ronnie316

If the winner(s) decide to bypass tax and legal advice, then paying 39.6% might be a reality. Mitigating millions in possible deductions doesn't come easy but I will assume that a few here at LP feel they can take on the IRS without the need for any professional help.

A very generous individual could donate ALL their winnings to charity and actually get a refund back from the IRS...I think it's safe to say it won't be happening anytime soon.

By all means Jill, please explain to us (little people) how giving to a charity entitles the giver to a refund?

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 22, 2013

Another really stupid assumption Jill. I think its reasonable to believe that anyone who is smart enough to come up with $300 million in losing tickets is smart enough to realize that they will need to explain where they got them. Besides that I think the whole point of NOT paying 39% tax went right over your head.

You're too intelligent for your own good. I have no doubt you think you have the capacity to outwit the IRS, tax laws/loop holes and mitigate tax obligations to zero.

You're such a genius!

By all means Jill, please explain to us (little people) how giving to a charity entitles the giver to a refund?

Ronnie- You need to activate that brain of yours. I will explain this as simply as I can:

When someone wins a large lottery prize, 25% will be deducted automatically for Federal taxes.

That someone decides to donate all their winnings to charity thereby reducing their taxable income to zero thus  making their tax obligation 0.

That generous individual will get back a large portion of the 25% Federal tax that was initially deducted.

Hopefully you can comprehend that Wink

Ronnie316

You're too intelligent for your own good. I have no doubt you think you have the capacity to outwit the IRS, tax laws/loop holes and mitigate tax obligations to zero.

You're such a genius!

More stupid and false assumption Jill? I may have implied those things, but I never said them.

Ronnie316

Ronnie- You need to activate that brain of yours. I will explain this as simply as I can:

When someone wins a large lottery prize, 25% will be deducted automatically for Federal taxes.

That someone decides to donate all their winnings to charity thereby reducing their taxable income to zero thus  making their tax obligation 0.

That generous individual will get back a large portion of the 25% Federal tax that was initially deducted.

Hopefully you can comprehend that Wink

Again Jill, your assumptions that other people are beneath you betrays you. If a person gave ALL their winnings to a specific charity the check could be directed to the charity and no taxes would be withhold.

More stupid and false assumption Jill? I may have implied those things, but I never said them.

"I may have implied those things, but I never said them."

Sounds like the IRS executives being questioned at the Capital could have used that line.

Ronnie316

"I may have implied those things, but I never said them."

Sounds like the IRS executives being questioned at the Capital could have used that line.

The IRS executives are not their for "discussion" so your point is a little twisted as are many of your points.

Again Jill, your assumptions that other people are beneath you betrays you. If a person gave ALL their winnings to a specific charity the check could be directed to the charity and no taxes would be withhold.

Wow! you just love to twist these statements. You should replace Jay Carney as I have nio doubt you will do well!

Once again, I am referring to someone who collects their lottery prize and not someone who simply gives their winning ticket to a charity.

The odds of either scenario happening is even higher than those of actually winning the grand prize.

The IRS executives are not their for "discussion" so your point is a little twisted as are many of your points.

I mentioned that the IRS executives were being questioned by Congress. You somehow equate that to having a "discussion" .

It is pretty evident that it is you who enjoys twisting the truth.

Ronnie316

Wow! you just love to twist these statements. You should replace Jay Carney as I have nio doubt you will do well!

Once again, I am referring to someone who collects their lottery prize and not someone who simply gives their winning ticket to a charity.

The odds of either scenario happening is even higher than those of actually winning the grand prize.

Nice that you feel so comfortable being condescending toward others, but your wrong again as their are many more in this world (not like you) than 1 in 175.000.000 who would give ALL their winning to charity.

Ronnie316

I mentioned that the IRS executives were being questioned by Congress. You somehow equate that to having a "discussion" .

It is pretty evident that it is you who enjoys twisting the truth.

Let me guess... "the truth" in your twisted mind, only exists in a book of myths and fairy tales?

gogidolim

Let's just stay away from any political mumbo jumbo shall we?

Now I don't envy the winner of $600 mil. Actually I pity for the winner. I am totally happy with the minimum jackpot amount because I just need a lil boost, not some earth-shattering fortune.

jimmy4164

Nice that you feel so comfortable being condescending toward others, but your wrong again as their are many more in this world (not like you) than 1 in 175.000.000 who would give ALL their winning to charity.

"Nice that you feel so comfortable being condescending toward others, but your wrong again as their are many more in this world (not like you) than 1 in 175.000.000 who would give ALL their winning to charity."

Might YOU be one of those who would give ALL their winnings to charity?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy4164 on May 22, 2013

"Nice that you feel so comfortable being condescending toward others, but your wrong again as their are many more in this world (not like you) than 1 in 175.000.000 who would give ALL their winning to charity."

Might YOU be one of those who would give ALL their winnings to charity?

How did you guess Jammy?

Ronnie316

You're such a genius!

I think he should just mail it in................

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/182485

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I know they were in the news last year, but I've never seen a self service lottery machine (I live in Florida)  There are vending machines for scratch-off tickets in most Publix supermarkets in the state, but usually people are lined up at the customer service counter to buy tickets for online games like Powerball, Lotto, Fantasy5, etc.

I was hoping the winning ticket was purchased from a small grocery store or other family owned business.  Publix has an annual revenue of around $27 billion, but $85,000 would be a nice bonus for a struggling small business owner.

In any case, congrats to the winner.  I don't think I'd want to win all that money and be on the national news.   $2 million would be just fine!  Wink

Anfang71

So was the ticket a self pick or QP?

I can't find the answer. Does the Lottery know itself or will we have to wait till the winner claims?

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 24, 2013

I know they were in the news last year, but I've never seen a self service lottery machine (I live in Florida)  There are vending machines for scratch-off tickets in most Publix supermarkets in the state, but usually people are lined up at the customer service counter to buy tickets for online games like Powerball, Lotto, Fantasy5, etc.

I was hoping the winning ticket was purchased from a small grocery store or other family owned business.  Publix has an annual revenue of around $27 billion, but $85,000 would be a nice bonus for a struggling small business owner.

In any case, congrats to the winner.  I don't think I'd want to win all that money and be on the national news.   $2 million would be just fine!  Wink

You are right, most stores have only scratch vendors but they do exist with both.  We have them in some local Publix.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on May 24, 2013

You are right, most stores have only scratch vendors but they do exist with both.  We have them in some local Publix.

Can you pick your own numbers (doesn't look like it)?
Does the machine accept a payslip?

th19940305

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 24, 2013

Publix does have self service machines that you can buy QP powerball or play your play slips at

They are at only some publixes, the smaller ones have the older machines that only dispense scratch offs

th19940305

You can play your play slips by sliding them in a slot below where you insert your bills

Anfang71

So we still do not know for fact if the Ticket(s) were Self or Quick pics, correct?

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Quote: Originally posted by Anfang71 on May 25, 2013

So we still do not know for fact if the Ticket(s) were Self or Quick pics, correct?

No, according to Florida Lottery, it was a QP.

jamella724

Who could be that extremely lucky guy? I wonder how did he come up with winning numbers. If I'm the winner first thing I will do is to buy a private plane so I can tour around the world!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story