Two months later, a winning lottery ticket

May 23, 2013, 9:54 am (57 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

For weeks, Dipak Patel and his wife, Hetal, owners of the Pinebuff Mini Mart reminded their customers to check their lottery tickets because the store had sold a winning Carolina Cash 5 ticket worth $236,455 in March.

If only Ed Studebaker had listened.

Studebaker, a West End resident who works as a manufacturing engineer in Pinebluff and is a regular customer at the Mini Mart, had the winning lottery ticket. He just didn't know it.

The ticket sat in his home for nearly two months before he realized he'd won.

"The clerk at the store kept saying that someone had won a Cash 5 jackpot and that I should check my tickets," Studebaker said in a release from the North Carolina Education Lottery. "I finally asked my daughter to check my tickets for me on Sunday. She called me at work the next day and told me I had won.

"I thought she was messing with me, but my wife confirmed it."

Studebaker, a regular Carolina Cash 5 player, filled out his winning ticket with the birthdays of his family members. He matched all five numbers, 1, 3, 4, 25, 27.

Studebaker received a check worth $160,790 after state and federal taxes were withheld. He said he plans to use a portion of his winnings to purchase a fuel efficient car, take a cruise and pay bills.

"I'm so happy," Studebaker said as he received his winnings. "I have the money in hand. It's starting to sink in. It's real."

Dipak Patel said Studebaker was back in the store last week on behalf of his co-workers. They wanted to test his luck with the big Powerball jackpot, but lightning didn't strike twice.

"I expect they will be back to buy more tickets," Patel said Friday morning.

The Patels have owned the Mini Mart on Walnut Street in Pinebluff for 13 years. Studebaker's winning ticket was the largest winning amount sold by the store, Patel said. In 2009 the store sold a winning Power Ball ticket worth $10,000.

Dipak Patel said selling a winning ticket is a good boost for business.

"It's a good advertisement for our store," Patel said.

The Pilot

Comments

CLETU$

Unbelievable,an honest Patel.Will wonders never cease?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on May 23, 2013

Unbelievable that the guy wanted to advertise his store and get the commission check?

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Unbelievable that the Patels didn't steal their customers ticket and cash it in themselves after reading all the news stories and articles I read here on LP.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on May 23, 2013

Unbelievable that the Patels didn't steal their customers ticket and cash it in themselves after reading all the news stories and articles I read here on LP.

I think those kind of clerks/owners are the exception NOT the rule.

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 23, 2013

I think those kind of clerks/owners are the exception NOT the rule.

You could have fooled me.The Patels are a well known clan of crooks and thieves.One was busted for burning down his grocery store in Hamilton,Illinois.a couple of years ago and I don't know how many clerks named Patel that I have read about stealing lottery winnings from the real owners.

Ronnie316

You could have fooled me.The Patels are a well known clan of crooks and thieves.One was busted for burning down his grocery store in Hamilton,Illinois.a couple of years ago and I don't know how many clerks named Patel that I have read about stealing lottery winnings from the real owners.

I was talking about in general across the country. Besides that's why we have laws and they DO eventually get busted. In AZ they don't puul that crap much because we have a Sheriff that is happy to cuff em.

The Patels are a chain of thieves and the only reason they may be the exception is because they didn't get a hold of the real owners ticket.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

They could be Born Again Patels.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on May 23, 2013

The Patels are a chain of thieves and the only reason they may be the exception is because they didn't get a hold of the real owners ticket.

If people were more responsible with the handling of their tickets the crooked clerks would never get away with it.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I can't speak for all of them but I know some Patels in a store in the area and they seem like very nice people.

The woman even makes googly eyes at me when her husband's not around.

If people were more responsible with the handling of their tickets the crooked clerks would never get away with it.

If clerks/Patels were more responsible we wouldn't have these issues and real winners would NOT be getting ripped off.

No one expects the clerk behind the counter to commit lottery fraud

When I walk into a store owned by a Patel to check my tickets I turn around and walk out without buying anything and don't care if they know it. The Patels should be watched very carefully.
CLETU$

I was talking about in general across the country. Besides that's why we have laws and they DO eventually get busted. In AZ they don't puul that crap much because we have a Sheriff that is happy to cuff em.

I'm talking about in general,across the country,too.They don't care about laws and your sheriff or my sheriff or any sheriff for that matter.When they get caught they play ignorant of the law and the english language.Then some bleeding heart liberal judge gives them their walking papers because they don't understand what they did was against the law.When foriegners break our laws they should be imprisoned and then deported,not excused!

hsg2000

They are greedy for money

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 23, 2013

I can't speak for all of them but I know some Patels in a store in the area and they seem like very nice people.

LOL, Congrats to the lucky winner.

PlayToWin47's avatarPlayToWin47

Congratulations to the winner!

It blows my mind, however, that someone who plays any lottery game regularly doesn't check his tickets!

a911scanner

Relax...

Patel = Smith in other countries. Not all "Smith" families here are related, unless you go back about 30-40 generations.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Congrats to the lucky winner!

atoz

Lmao...Ridge maybe someday you can find a good woman.....hang in there.  Banana

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

That makes me wonder are you really an old man like your avartar shows if yes then make it a dirty old man lol.

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

Always check your ticket! 

Why even buy a lottery ticket if you're not going to check it? 

You would be a fool to let so much money slip away.  Don't be a fool!  Banana

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations to this lottery jackpot winner.  I like his three, partial spending ideas! Disney

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

The Patels have owned the Mini Mart on Walnut Street in Pinebluff for 13 years. Studebaker's winning ticket ($236,455)  was the largest winning amount sold by the store, Patel said.

To me this is the most striking sentence in the whole story. A store selling tickets for 13 years and this is their biggest win. Another great reminder that lottery is NOT easy to win.

IamTheWinner

Congratz man Wink

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

I find it interesting that the winners last name is Studebaker, and he's a manufacturing engineer,

I have to wonder if he's related to the folks that made the Studebaker car,

and before that, the Studebaker Conestoga wagon in the 19 century.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by PlayToWin47 on May 23, 2013

Congratulations to the winner!

It blows my mind, however, that someone who plays any lottery game regularly doesn't check his tickets!

The more regular you play, the less likely you are to keep checking your tickets. lol.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on May 23, 2013

I find it interesting that the winners last name is Studebaker, and he's a manufacturing engineer,

I have to wonder if he's related to the folks that made the Studebaker car,

and before that, the Studebaker Conestoga wagon in the 19 century.

We may never know.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on May 23, 2013

The Patels have owned the Mini Mart on Walnut Street in Pinebluff for 13 years. Studebaker's winning ticket ($236,455)  was the largest winning amount sold by the store, Patel said.

To me this is the most striking sentence in the whole story. A store selling tickets for 13 years and this is their biggest win. Another great reminder that lottery is NOT easy to win.

Good point. That covers every lottery customer for the past 13 years.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

The name of the wife is Hetal Patel ? A great name for a novel.  Their kids are Gretal, Petal and Metal.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 23, 2013

The name of the wife is Hetal Patel ? A great name for a novel.  Their kids are Gretal, Petal and Metal.

LMAO !

They have another kid who's a drag racer, he's called,

pedal to the metal,

? is which one has the mettle to be a Patel, LOL

LMAO !

pedal to the metal,

lol lol  The Siamese twins are called Pretzel.

Quote: Originally posted by a911scanner on May 23, 2013

Relax...

Patel = Smith in other countries. Not all "Smith" families here are related, unless you go back about 30-40 generations.

welcome a911scanner,

thanks for that post, I have pointed that out in past threads, but usually said "w/no offense to anyone named Smith"

I know quite a few people named Smith, they don't like the comparison.

Ronnie316

Are they the ones who own the Seattle Patel Cattle farm?

LMAO !

pedal to the metal,

hahaha funny rhyme that one is. Imagine "Pedal to the Metal Patel" in junior high lol he'd be bullied to death

Are they the ones who own the Seattle Patel Cattle farm?

Don't know, but if rustlers were on their land, they would certainly hear the rattle on the Seattle Patel cattle farm. LMAO

Good point. That covers every lottery customer for the past 13 years.

If this is a general statistic for the stores - averaging 13 years before selling a big win, I wonder what is the general statistic for individuals before winning a big one 13x2 >26 years? Unhappy  I have 16 year to go if thats the case lol

Ronnie316

Don't know, but if rustlers were on their land, they would certainly hear the rattle on the Seattle Patel cattle farm. LMAO

The Patel Rattle rings loudly on the range.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on May 23, 2013

If this is a general statistic for the stores - averaging 13 years before selling a big win, I wonder what is the general statistic for individuals before winning a big one 13x2 >26 years? Unhappy  I have 16 year to go if thats the case lol

Anytime within the next 26 years will be just fine by me.  Yes Nod  Crazy

The Patel Rattle rings loudly on the range.

crackin up !

lol lol  The Siamese twins are called Pretzel.

One of their fav. tunes is PRETZEL LOGIC by steely dan.

One of their fav. tunes is PRETZEL LOGIC by steely dan.

lol lol  And they are both rebels with lots of freckles.

PlayToWin47's avatarPlayToWin47

Anytime within the next 26 years will be just fine by me.  Yes Nod  Crazy

If 26 years is the magic time to win, then I'm about to win!!! Banana ...I'm on 23/24 (not for sure if I started in '89 or '90).

lol lol  And they are both rebels with lots of freckles.

WOW, this is getting twisted,

Patels w/ kids gretal,petal & metal along w/ pedal to the metal,

si...twin cousins w/freckles that are rebels and steely fans , and they're cattle ranchers in a big city that sell lottery tix.

did i leave anything out ?

WOW, this is getting twisted,

Patels w/ kids gretal,petal & metal along w/ pedal to the metal,

si...twin cousins w/freckles that are rebels and steely fans , and they're cattle ranchers in a big city that sell lottery tix.

did i leave anything out ?

The first LP group novel!

The first LP group novel!

How about a sitcom ?

married Patel's w/ children.

How about a sitcom ?

married Patel's w/ children.

Rofl!!!  Even better.

Rofl!!!  Even better.

Married patels w/ children

that own cattle ranches that sell lottery tix. LMAO

Married patels w/ children

that own cattle ranches that sell lottery tix. LMAO

We have our tv script logline now!  Now we just need the script.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

If I were Ed, I would give Patel 1,500 to 3,000 dollars as a sign of my gratitude. Without Patel, Ed may miss the deadline and never seen the money.

Party1377

In other new I am moving to that area, and buying my tickets there from now on. 10K powerball ticket? If I hit the 1 mill I would be set. lol

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

What the heck does that mean?

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 24, 2013

What the heck does that mean?

It means exactly what it says.

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

My thoughts exactly!  A Glimmer of Sunshine ..... (I think I hear birdies singing).....beau

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

They (Patels) brought this upon themselves...............maybe they could change their last name to......??????I Agree!   Wearenotthosepatels.....Wantps.....Mr and Mrs Wantps........(It's gotta nice ring to it!) beau

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

not evry patel is going to hell.

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

lol yeah whats with that?  Always wanting to  talk to you but when the wifes around your just anither customer....

Hey I always liked Studebakers.    Lucky guy !

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by a911scanner on May 23, 2013

Relax...

Never really noticed the name "Patel" before seeing it several times on Lottery Post News. Since then I saw a Patel bank manager, a Doctor Patel and several gas station/food marts owed by a Patel. When I stopped to get gas in Western Kentucky that store was owned by a Patel and it was an authorized KY Lottery cashing agent.

Read where one out of every five motels are owned by a Patel. I wouldn't compare the number of Patels (145,000) to the number of Smiths (2.8 million) in the U.S., but it is the 172nd most common surname.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

I have bought tickets from that store on many occasion, but have not went back because it's out of town for me to drive there. Just about  everystore where I live is own by the Patels. Thats where more winners come from, don't know why! but I have seen where winners win more from them kind of store owners. Has anyone one else notice that?

jamella724

It's good for the winner he was able to claim his prize. The store definitely will have a share for selling a winning ticket. Players should be more cautious in keeping their tickets especially now that winning lottery will become harder.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story