$50M Powerball jackpot to be split 3 ways

May 27, 2013, 10:26 pm (53 comments)

Powerball

Three lucky winners will be able to spend the holiday weekend as newly-minted millionaires.

The owners of three winning Powerball tickets — from Delaware, Florida, and Louisiana — will divvy up Saturday's $50 million jackpot three ways.

Each winner will have the option of receiving a third of the jackpot in 30 payments over 29 years or a third of the $31.1 million lump sum. The winning Powerball tickets were purchased in New Orleans, Tampa, and a currently unnamed location in Delaware.

This latest jackpot marks a second consecutive win in Florida; last week's record-setting $590.5 million jackpot will go to the owner of a ticket purchased in the city of Zephyrhills.

Dividing the latest round of winnings three ways does not set a record, however; a spokeswoman for the Louisiana Lottery noted that four winners split a $295 million jackpot back in 2001.

USAMega.com also reports that 609,275 additional players won prize money totaling nearly $17 million. Included in those additional winners are 11 tickets that matched the 2, 6, 19, 21, and 27 combination but missed the Powerball number of 25:  1 from California, 1 from Connecticut (with Power Play), 2 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from Massachusetts, 1 from Michigan, 2 from New Jersey, 1 from North Carolina, and 1 from Wisconsin. 

Owners of those tickets will each get $1 million, while a winner in Connecticut will receive $2 million because they purchase the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket.

The next drawing will occur on Wednesday night, at which point the Powerball jackpot will be reset to $40 million.

AP, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations everyone spend wisely Dance

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to ALL the winners Hurray!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

i bet they come forward a lot quicker than the $590 mill winner.

lottoguysocal's avatarlottoguysocal

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on May 28, 2013

i bet they come forward a lot quicker than the $590 mill winner.

while 50 million is no chump change, it should be a lot easier to get all the financial situations taking care of winning that amount than the 550 that was won by the single winner.  Whomever won that won definitely doesnt want the attention although they're going to get it whether they like it or not.  The media is probably waiting there at the publix day and night to see when the winner is coming in.  If I was the winner, wouldn't even go to the publix, would just go straight to a lottery office unannounced if that's possible.  That way the media is too late, unless they're staking out those too.  Congrats to the winners!

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Quote: Originally posted by lottoguysocal on May 28, 2013

while 50 million is no chump change, it should be a lot easier to get all the financial situations taking care of winning that amount than the 550 that was won by the single winner.  Whomever won that won definitely doesnt want the attention although they're going to get it whether they like it or not.  The media is probably waiting there at the publix day and night to see when the winner is coming in.  If I was the winner, wouldn't even go to the publix, would just go straight to a lottery office unannounced if that's possible.  That way the media is too late, unless they're staking out those too.  Congrats to the winners!

Why would the $590m winner even go back to Publix?

You have to get to the lottery office to collect!

Florida wins again!?! wow!!!!

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Tampa, Florida has 2 new millionaires. Congrats to all the winners.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Go figure. One ticket wins approx. $600 million, and three tickets have to share a "paltry" $50 million. Come to think of it, I will take that share anytime.

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Florida is turining into New York with all these jackpots!

Another cheat State!

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on May 28, 2013

Another cheat State!

Yeah, that's what they did, they cheated.Thud

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to all the winners, enjoy!

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

All the Power Ball numbers were under 30 so no wonder there were so many winners.  People probably played and won with birthdays (some could of been quick picks).  Splitting $50 million is still awesome.  You can easily retire on that if you don't spend like crazy.  Congratulations to the winners!  Banana

Another cheat State!

What is a cheat state?

Are you implying that something is fishy because that state has so many winners?

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Go to powerball.com and click on winner breakdown by lottery and you will see all the number of states that has the most winners. PA had 24,858 winners, NY had 40,425 winners, CA has 81,752 winners with none playing the powerplay, FLA had 56,796 winners, and Texas had 20,749 winners playing. All states are showing all winners from each state. Check it out!!

Editgap

I hope Florida didn't just join Powerball?

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by Editgap on May 28, 2013

no, they been playing for awhile! they did just join MEGA MILLION though!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

16 powerball winners in all for 2012!!!! wow!!!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by rock_nc on May 28, 2013

Go to powerball.com and click on winner breakdown by lottery and you will see all the number of states that has the most winners. PA had 24,858 winners, NY had 40,425 winners, CA has 81,752 winners with none playing the powerplay, FLA had 56,796 winners, and Texas had 20,749 winners playing. All states are showing all winners from each state. Check it out!!

Are those first and second prize winners?

Ronnie316

Will we ever get a nationwide "pool" option on PB or MM?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Editgap on May 28, 2013

They just joined MM recently.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 28, 2013

Are those first and second prize winners?

you can click on the states and it will show you the winners in all the tiers!

Ronnie316

Sounds like the biggest winners of all the states are CA and FL?

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Sounds like the biggest winners of all the states are CA and FL?

yup! I noticed that! WOW lots of players winning from there! You see where there was 16 winners on powerball in 2012?

Ronnie316

yup! I noticed that! WOW lots of players winning from there! You see where there was 16 winners on powerball in 2012?

It would be nice if they won a jackpot....... But I'm sure they enjoy the million $ prizes too.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

It would be nice if they won a jackpot....... But I'm sure they enjoy the million $ prizes too.

I would be happy with a second tier prize! Anything to get us out of the rut we are in, and to have a good vacation this summer! Also help out some family members too!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Hey ron! You see Virgin islands winners? 425 in all!

Ronnie316

Hey ron! You see Virgin islands winners? 425 in all!

Wow weeee, they must love PB......

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

What they say a dollar and a dream! or is it 2 dollar and a dream!

Ronnie316

I would be happy with a second tier prize! Anything to get us out of the rut we are in, and to have a good vacation this summer! Also help out some family members too!

Seems like we have been in a "rut" for about 5 1/2 years now, I wonder when it will get BETTER.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Seems like we have been in a "rut" for about 5 1/2 years now, I wonder when it will get BETTER.

Soon I hope, I play on Tuesday and Friday 4 dollars each play[32.00 a month]. I play on Wednesday and Saturday about 6 bucks for each draw.[48.00 a month] Then I play our state nc cash5 every day 4 dollars a day 7 days a week![112.00 dollars a month ] 112 dollars a month on cash5!!! win a little on cash5 but PB and MM nothing to amount to anything to bragg about! Total in all 192 dollars a month playing for a big dream to win!! 2,304 dollars a year playing the lottery! WOW i just now figure this up! Can't tell the wife this, or she will cut me off from playing!!!! omy!!

Ronnie316

Soon I hope, I play on Tuesday and Friday 4 dollars each play[32.00 a month]. I play on Wednesday and Saturday about 6 bucks for each draw.[48.00 a month] Then I play our state nc cash5 every day 4 dollars a day 7 days a week![112.00 dollars a month ] 112 dollars a month on cash5!!! win a little on cash5 but PB and MM nothing to amount to anything to bragg about! Total in all 192 dollars a month playing for a big dream to win!! 2,304 dollars a year playing the lottery! WOW i just now figure this up! Can't tell the wife this, or she will cut me off from playing!!!! omy!!

Yes it can add up fast, but hopefully you don't smoke or snort drugs so you save a lot there.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Yes it can add up fast, but hopefully you don't smoke or snort drugs so you save a lot there.

nope! no drugs, no drinking, nothing!!! just sit home on the computer!

Ronnie316

Wtg, I Agree! At the computer all the way...........  Thumbs Up

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

u on facebook?

Ronnie316

u on facebook?

Yeah but honestly I dont log on there but once a month or so just to check in.

https://www.facebook.com/ron.s.gilbert.1

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

HEY THANKS!! you want to be friends? if so I will send you a friends request!

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to these winners. I didn't know that this Powerball winning numbers were a California Super Lotto Plus pick.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on May 28, 2013

Congratulations to these winners. I didn't know that this Powerball winning numbers were a California Super Lotto Plus pick.

another awesome comment bro! You have such a way with words. You are like the modern day Walt Whitman!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I think we all should hang out and dance at the malt shop. I like that new record from Bill Haley and the Comets called "rock around the clock."

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on May 28, 2013

I think we all should hang out and dance at the malt shop. I like that new record from Bill Haley and the Comets called "rock around the clock."

I love malt. Count me in. Yes Nod

Ronnie316

Send away my friend, send away.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on May 28, 2013

another awesome comment bro! You have such a way with words. You are like the modern day Walt Whitman!

I Agree! What radicalization articulation.

Ronnie316

Lottery players are winners.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

congrats on the PB winners and the new lottery post bff's!  Star

5M - ish in savings would fully fund my retirement... so a 1/3 split of a 31.3 pot would float my boat quite nicely!

hopefully we will have yet another PB winner on Wednesday and drive the PB guru's nutz!

Lottery players are winners.

you can't win if you don't play Dance

Send away my friend, send away.

Surprised you not Friends at AZ Lottery it's under stay connected @ the bottom Evil Looking

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Yeah but honestly I dont log on there but once a month or so just to check in.

https://www.facebook.com/ron.s.gilbert.1

Hey Ron, thanks for the friend request. just sent it to you. You favor a friend I use to work with! Have a great day! I like WWE too!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on May 29, 2013

Surprised you not Friends at AZ Lottery it's under stay connected @ the bottom Evil Looking

Good idea... IMA friend D AZ Lottery.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Another cheat State!

I hope you're joking.    Do you realize what you wrote?    Yes, Florida is turning into New York, that is, it has an estimated 19.3 million residents and New York has 19.5.   They are the 3rd & 4th most populous states in the United States.   Next to California, Florida has the most tourism, followed by New York.   Last year an estimated 75 million people visited sunny Florida.  (ya know, to go to Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, sunbathe on miles and miles of beaches!)   

Tonight someone from Texas (the 2nd largest state) won the PB jackpot.  Coincidence?

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 30, 2013

I hope you're joking.    Do you realize what you wrote?    Yes, Florida is turning into New York, that is, it has an estimated 19.3 million residents and New York has 19.5.   They are the 3rd & 4th most populous states in the United States.   Next to California, Florida has the most tourism, followed by New York.   Last year an estimated 75 million people visited sunny Florida.  (ya know, to go to Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, sunbathe on miles and miles of beaches!)   

Tonight someone from Texas (the 2nd largest state) won the PB jackpot.  Coincidence?

I Agree!US FlagOnly in AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 30, 2013

I did very well in history and geography so I don't need your lessons.

And I do realize what I wrote, do you realize it's sarcasm? I don't care about ANY states population, my post was based on the pure luck of these states to hit back2back and very often. New York for a while was winning back to back and Texas as big as it is does NOT win hardly as much as New York or Florida.

Coincidence? Explain that one! lol

And my comment about Florida/New York being cheat states

Florida = Presidential Election fraud

New York = The most corrupted state.

Florida/New York= Sweeping the jackpots

**sarcasm**

And before you go qouting percentages of which States are ''more'' likely to win based on their population, just know that ''more likely'' is an assumption, so please spare me. I can predict that I will win Powerball before you because I play $100 and you play $2.00.

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on May 29, 2013

Good idea... IMA friend D AZ Lottery.

Thumbs Upyou are a friendly guy

jamella724

This amount is still huge even if you split it 3 ways. They can still do a lot of things with the money that they are going to receive from their winnings. There's a big advantage purchasing the ticket with an extra $1. I will do just the same for my next ticket.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story