Three tickets to split $448 million Powerball jackpot

Aug 8, 2013, 12:58 am (68 comments)

Powerball

1 winning ticket from Minnesota, 2 from New Jersey

Final jackpot total of $448.4 million is fourth-largest ever in USA

By Todd Northrop

Wednesday's massive Powerball jackpot that generated millions of ticket sales this week has been won by three tickets, which will evenly split the $448.4 million final tally.

The $448.4 million Powerball jackpot, which is the fourth-largest of any lottery game in history, started as a $40 million prize on June 26, 2013, and continued accumulating prize money for 13 consecutive drawings, until it was finally won Wednesday.

Early Sunday morning the game's organizer estimated Wednesday's jackpot at $400 million, but by Tuesday afternoon that estimate was raised to $425 million on strong sales.  By Wednesday evening after all the ticket sales were counted, the actual jackpot amount stood at $448.4 million — the fourth-highest recorded by any lottery game in history, and the third-largest Powerball jackpot ever.

The final lump-sum cash value of the jackpot is $258.2 million, ranking as the fourth-largest jackpot cash value ever.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, August 7, 2013, were 5, 25, 30, 58, and 59, with Powerball number 32.

The three big winners undoubtedly will get very little sleep Wednesday night, as they try to process winning such a large jackpot.

Or maybe a pool of winners will claim one or more of the tickets, making a lot more incredibly happy and bewildered insomniacs Wednesday night.

The New Jersey winning tickets were sold at the Super Stop n Shop, located at 24 Summerfield Blvd. & Rt. 522, South Brunswick (Middlesex country), and Acme Markets #7858, located at 425 Route 9 South, Little Egg Harbor (Ocean County).

The retailer that sold the Minnesota winning ticket will be published once it's announced by the Minnesota Lottery.

The 3 jackpot winners are not the only ones to bring home a whole lotta loot Wednesday night.

In addition to the jackpot winners, a whopping 38 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 9 from California, 2 from Colorado, 1 from Connecticut, 4 from Florida, 3 from Georgia, 2 from Illinois, 1 from Kansas, 1 from Louisiana, 1 from Maryland, 1 from Missouri, 1 from Nebraska, 3 from New York, 1 from Oklahoma, 1 from Oregon, 1 from Pennsylvania, 1 from Tennessee, 4 from Texas, and 1 from Virginia.

The 9 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $289,341, because California does not award fixed prizes. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Of all the second-prize winners, only four of the tickets — both tickets sold in Colorado, the ticket sold in Oklahoma, and one of the tickets sold in Texas — were purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1.  Because they purchased the Power Play, those four tickets are now worth $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.

192 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000.  Of those tickets, 12 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000, and 21 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $9,847 this drawing.

The jackpot for the Saturday Powerball drawing is reset to $40 million.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

A 44th Powerball state will be added in early 2014, as the state of Wyoming has approved a new state lottery with the intention of joining Powerball and other multi-state lottery games. (See Wyoming officially becomes 44th state with a lottery, Lottery Post, Mar. 14, 2013.)

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Wow, lots of wins on 1st and 2nd levels.  I didn't win either, yet, though. Shocked

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Aug 8, 2013

Wow, lots of wins on 1st and 2nd levels.  I didn't win either, yet, though. Shocked

Congrats to the three lucky ticket holders

dr65's avatardr65

I'm happy there is a 3 way split! WTG winners!!

CajunWin4's avatarCajunWin4

Who from NJ on Lottery Post Won ? Their is TWO Tickets from NJ .....

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Aug 8, 2013

I agree. I like that more people get to share in the win. Yes Nod

Toronto

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Aug 8, 2013

I agree. I like that more people get to share in the win. Yes Nod

Why not get excited about te jackpot when it's 150 million then? It's the same amount.

Stack47

There are 29 other players who are millionaires before taxes too and 9 in California get about a quarter million. Lots of complaints when the raised the ticket price to two bucks, but there many $1 million winners.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to ALL the winners Thumbs Up

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on Aug 8, 2013

Why not get excited about te jackpot when it's 150 million then? It's the same amount.

I rarely buy Powerball tickets. So I don't really get excited often and I just like to see multiple people win on big jackpots so the wealth is spread. I know that is unpopular opinion here, but that's just how i feel. Smiley

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Wow New Jersey is in the house again!!! Unfortunately it wasn't me...again. However there was a winning ticket sold in Little Egg Harbor, NJ where "haymaker" is from. I hope it was him who won. Good luck haymaker.

Congrats to all the winners!!

congratulations

Dr Lottery's avatarDr Lottery

georgia should just drop out of the powerball seem like all the winners come from new jersey and cali !!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Dr Lottery on Aug 8, 2013

georgia should just drop out of the powerball seem like all the winners come from new jersey and cali !!

Cheeze and Wine

haven't even checked my tickets yet and U don't hear me complaining

Congrats to the winners and may the days ahead bring U all your worst nightmares hehehe

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Aug 8, 2013

Wow New Jersey is in the house again!!! Unfortunately it wasn't me...again. However there was a winning ticket sold in Little Egg Harbor, NJ where "haymaker" is from. I hope it was him who won. Good luck haymaker.

congratulations

Hope it is haymaker Thumbs Up I'm thinking I need to make a stop in NJ lolBig Grin

PrinceRene

Quote: Originally posted by Dr Lottery on Aug 8, 2013

California has never won Powerball ever. Sad

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, and that really sucks, most of the time. $1/4mil. instead of cool $1mil=suckee suckee.

stunna6036's avatarstunna6036

NJ again...........isn't that were the Sopranos live .......lol. well the excitement was fun while  it lasted now the jackpot withdrawal kicks in.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 8, 2013

California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, and that really sucks, most of the time. $1/4mil. instead of cool $1mil=suckee suckee.

I Agree!

Gloria woke up this morning, and lets out, a big sigh of relief. She will sleep very well tonight. Finally, people will stop getting on her case, because they now have 3 more winners to focus on.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congrats to the WINNERS spend wisely hope to see them pictures and hear their story soon

PartyPartyParty

Gloria woke up this morning, and lets out, a big sigh of relief. She will sleep very well tonight. Finally, people will stop getting on her case, because they now have 3 more winners to focus on.

maybe she the oldest lottery winner ever noone will forget her specially ronnie Love

sookie's avatarsookie

Well there's some happy people this morning.  Me?  I am still happy for them and will go get my tickets for this weekend :)

CLETU$

I'm happy that it was a 3 way split,too.But I wouldndn't be happy if I was one of the three because I'm greedy and don't like to share.

Ronnie316

Gloria wont get off the hook so easy. Her ill gotten gains will haunt her.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 8, 2013

I'm happy that it was a 3 way split,too.But I wouldndn't be happy if I was one of the three because I'm greedy and don't like to share.

Winning and sharing is BETTER than not winning CL.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by sookie on Aug 8, 2013

Well there's some happy people this morning.  Me?  I am still happy for them and will go get my tickets for this weekend :)

I Agree! IMA buy some more tickets.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 8, 2013

maybe she the oldest lottery winner ever noone will forget her specially ronnie Love

You got dat right......Lover

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 8, 2013

Congrats to the WINNERS spend wisely hope to see them pictures and hear their story soon

PartyPartyParty

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I wonder if Thrifty crossed the border and bought his ticket in Jersey this time?

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Bruce Springsteen changed his song to "Born in the Jackpot State".

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Aug 8, 2013

Bruce Springsteen changed his song to "Born in the Jackpot State".

Green laughThat would work.... I would buy mine there if I had the chance.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

That's why I always get the PP & MP !

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Aug 8, 2013

That's why I always get the PP & MP !

Couldn't you just buy more lines with all that extra money you waste?

Me too, haymaker.  I'm always adding on this 'multiplier-up' option to the only ticket per draw that I buy! See Ya!

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Aug 8, 2013

congratulations

Naw, was'nt me, Little Egg Harbor Is a different town 20 some miles north of me In Ocean county,

I'm In Atlantic county.

I used to work w/a guy from there, he said....

"If I ever win, I'm gonna say It was the first ticket I ever bought, just to piss every one off"

he's been playing for 40 years.

Ronnie316

Me too, haymaker.  I'm always adding on this 'multiplier-up' option to the only ticket per draw that I buy! See Ya!

I'm buying 10-15 and sometimes 25 lines at a time, so its not economically fiesta for me to PP.

Ronnie316

I wish Thrifty will be the jackpot winner.

Three tickets to split $448 million Powerball jackpot

4 members gave this topic an average rating of 5 out of 5

Member Rating
mypiemaster 5 stars
THRIFTY 5 stars
helpmewin 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 8, 2013

I'm buying 10-15 and sometimes 25 lines at a time, so its not economically fiesta for me to PP.

That makes sense for your style of play, I only buy 1 ticket per draw, so I get the MP & PP.

True.  I'm curious, Ronnie316, why do you continue to buy for self-only in such high volume each draw? Lurking

I wonder if Thrifty crossed the border and bought his ticket in Jersey this time?

Thrifty Is from NY. he would'nt have to go as far as South Brunswick to get  tix.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Aug 8, 2013

That makes sense for your style of play, I only buy 1 ticket per draw, so I get the MP & PP.

I agree with you. I don't always play 1 or 2 line, but when I do I like to play PP & MP.

CLETU$

Winning and sharing is BETTER than not winning CL.

Reread my post.I said that I was happy for the three winners.Of course winning is better than not winning but I'd still be pissed if I had to share the jackpot with two other people.I play to win the whole enchilada not a third of it.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

True.  I'm curious, Ronnie316, why do you continue to buy for self-only in such high volume each draw? Lurking

Are you suggesting when he buys that many tickets they should be for his friends and neighbors too? What?

Piaceri

CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS!!! Hurray!

Rant

Can't believe Jersey won the jackpot again, and twice in the same draw. Dang them all. I say make them sit out the next couple of jackpots. Who's with me?

Rant

Texas rocked it this time with 4 2nd prizes! Usually Texas is out of the top. We must be getting some good randoms tossed our way. Dance

Ok, back to normal, nothing to see here... White Bounce

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Finally I see a winner for Tennessee on the list.

It was a 5 number match for a million dollars.

Betcha it was the Dragon Lady.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 8, 2013

Reread my post.I said that I was happy for the three winners.Of course winning is better than not winning but I'd still be pissed if I had to share the jackpot with two other people.I play to win the whole enchilada not a third of it.

...I'd still be pissed if I had to share the jackpot with two other people.

BS Really? $149M not enough for ya? Tell me it isn't so?

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Aug 8, 2013

I rarely buy Powerball tickets. So I don't really get excited often and I just like to see multiple people win on big jackpots so the wealth is spread. I know that is unpopular opinion here, but that's just how i feel. Smiley

Ugh! Spread the wealth...even when just one person wins, the wealth is spread. Just look at the number of jackpot lottery winners that are broke less than 10 years later! I call that spreading the wealth, be it through illicit drug or sex buys, expensive houses, cars, toys, clothes, jewelry, collectibles, and trips for the winner, family and friends. I prefer to see juson a single winner hit the jackpot...it is called karma because when I win, I want it to be the only winning ticket.

veganlife125's avatarveganlife125

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 8, 2013

Finally I see a winner for Tennessee on the list.

It was a 5 number match for a million dollars.

Betcha it was the Dragon Lady.

Any Jackpot MM or PB ever been won with a Tennessee ticket?

I wonder what the total jackpot wins for all states are.

I agree with you. I don't always play 1 or 2 line, but when I do I like to play PP & MP.

No Nod i don't agree Thumbs Down

but I Agree! there should be a disagree sign on here just like the i agree signI Agree!

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Aug 8, 2013

...I'd still be pissed if I had to share the jackpot with two other people.

BS Really? $149M not enough for ya? Tell me it isn't so?

BS Not for you to judge JonD. People live with their own choices and their own limits. As long as they are within the laws, it is none of your business and not for you to judge or bully your ideas onto others. Last I checked, there is not a limit on wealth nor a limit on dreams of wealth in this country. Although I do understand there are many 'share the wealth' folks who think there should be. 

For me personally, I would prefer to be the single winner of a jackpot regardless of jackpot size because that is what I play for, the jackpot, not 1/2 or 1/3 of the jackpot, or some limit that some unknown to me person decides is enough. I'd not be 'pissed' if I did split a jackpot, though. 

Besides, the winners are not getting $149M unless they take the annuity, and they will not see $149M anytime soon. Cash option comes to just over $86M each before taxes.

I wish Thrifty will be the jackpot winner.

Three tickets to split $448 million Powerball jackpot

4 members gave this topic an average rating of 5 out of 5

Member Rating
mypiemaster 5 stars
THRIFTY 5 stars
helpmewin 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars

Thrifty MAYBE ON Vacation from all that money he saves from NOT playing the LotterySmash

LottoLucy's avatarLottoLucy

We were speculating this morning that maybe one person in NJ bought two of the same set of numbers.  Initial reports were not saying if the winning tickets were quick picks or not.  I usually buy my tickets in advance and sometimes if we will be traveling I will have to "reinvest" before my current set of numbers expires.  I also know people who get hunches that do that (I think I also saw a story about a woman in VA who has won big money doing that).

Anyway, I was initially sad that I didn't win but then realized hey, there is always Saturday and $40 million is actually as useful in meeting my goals as $448 million.  Sun Smiley

Toronto

Well that does it, I'm moving to New Jersey

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 8, 2013

BS Not for you to judge JonD. People live with their own choices and their own limits. As long as they are within the laws, it is none of your business and not for you to judge or bully your ideas onto others. Last I checked, there is not a limit on wealth nor a limit on dreams of wealth in this country. Although I do understand there are many 'share the wealth' folks who think there should be. 

For me personally, I would prefer to be the single winner of a jackpot regardless of jackpot size because that is what I play for, the jackpot, not 1/2 or 1/3 of the jackpot, or some limit that some unknown to me person decides is enough. I'd not be 'pissed' if I did split a jackpot, though. 

Besides, the winners are not getting $149M unless they take the annuity, and they will not see $149M anytime soon. Cash option comes to just over $86M each before taxes.

It's exactly the "pissed" part that I was calling BS on, Piaceri. And don't try to lump me in with some "spread the wealth" manufactured outrage, that's not my stance.

You yourself say you'd not be "pissed" if you had to split the jackpot. That is honest and I believe that.

But for someone else to claim they'd be "pissed" right now if they had to share $448M with 2 other winners. Well, let's just soften that so say:

ROFL Green laughCrazy

Powerball rules say:

Prize money allocated to the Jackpot Prize category will be paid on a pari-mutuel basis, divided equally by the number of plays determined to be winners of the Jackpot Prize.

If someone doesn't understand and accept the rules that the Jackpot prize is pari-mutuel and split amongst multiple winners, then don't play.(and don't complaint afterwards)

Powerball $40 million Dance

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to all the lucky winners.

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

The winner from Minnesota has already claimed their prize!  That was really fast!  Congratulations to all three winners.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 8, 2013

Are you suggesting when he buys that many tickets they should be for his friends and neighbors too? What?

No, RJOh.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Aug 8, 2013

The winner from Minnesota has already claimed their prize!  That was really fast!  Congratulations to all three winners.

Congrats to Paul White!!!

Sounds like a good guy with good head on his shoulders.(an engineer, he must!) Solid plans for his family and community. Congrats!

What a range of emotions he must be feeling today. (but I'll bet "pissed" is not one of those... Smiley)

Paul White, of minnesota, one of the three lucky winners, already claimed his jackpot. BOY TALK ABOUT FAST. This must be a new record. Congrats!!!.

Paul White holds a check for his $149.4 million Powerball jackpot winnings at a news conference at Minnesota State Lottery headquarters in Roseville

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

First, let me get this ouit the way. Congrats to all the winners!! Now I have to talk about Mr. White. What was the emergency for him claiming the ticket less then 12 hours after he won? We've all heard the stories about about the con artists, crazies and "instant relatives" and such who always comes out of the woodworks like zombies in an apolytic horror movie or like roaches in an infested house.  I just do not see what was the collasal rush to have come forward at warped speed like this. It is gong to take awhile for him to get the money anyways.  If Paul White was looking to bask in some of the attention from his share of his historic win, that's fine, but I hope he is prepared for what's now going to come his way now, because he is known from coast to coast. You just can't come forward, get the photos taken with that big lotto check, and expect things to go back to normal. If I had to put myself out there, I wouild have waited at least three months, the check would have still been good.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Right on Piaceri!

I like your sig lines too.

LottoLucy's avatarLottoLucy

Quote: Originally posted by Goteki54 on Aug 8, 2013

First, let me get this ouit the way. Congrats to all the winners!! Now I have to talk about Mr. White. What was the emergency for him claiming the ticket less then 12 hours after he won? We've all heard the stories about about the con artists, crazies and "instant relatives" and such who always comes out of the woodworks like zombies in an apolytic horror movie or like roaches in an infested house.  I just do not see what was the collasal rush to have come forward at warped speed like this. It is gong to take awhile for him to get the money anyways.  If Paul White was looking to bask in some of the attention from his share of his historic win, that's fine, but I hope he is prepared for what's now going to come his way now, because he is known from coast to coast. You just can't come forward, get the photos taken with that big lotto check, and expect things to go back to normal. If I had to put myself out there, I wouild have waited at least three months, the check would have still been good.

Well, not everyone is as well as educated as to what the consequences might be. There are a lot of casual players out there who don't take the time to really figure it out or think that it cannot be as bad as people think.  They may think that the lottery will release their names anyway so why not start the countdown to getting the money and enjoying it.

Plus, there are some people who really enjoy their 15 minutes of fame and want everyone to celebrate with them. 

As for me...I want to be rich not famous.  I am glad in my state I can claim the jackpot anonymously.

Good Luck!

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Goteki54 on Aug 8, 2013

You know, I don't think it's all that strange. In fact, there have been several LARGE jackpot winners who came in and claimed the next business day.

I know I'd be worried about something happening to me or the ticket in between the time of the draw and the claim at the lottery office, so that drives the need to claim as soon as possible. On the other side, you have the need to get your sh** in order too.

We don't know his full story. He may already have a lawyer, and accountant, friends in the fininacial services industry. The rest, he can take care of in the intervening couple weeks while they work in transferring his funds. I remember a few of the early claimants were similarly upper middle class or retired. So they might be more grounded and ready to handle such a winfall, as much as can be expected.

But if you are a homeless or on welfare, with existing family drama, etc. Well, then you might need to get a few more things in order before you go to the lottery office.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Aug 8, 2013

You know, I don't think it's all that strange. In fact, there have been several LARGE jackpot winners who came in and claimed the next business day.

I know I'd be worried about something happening to me or the ticket in between the time of the draw and the claim at the lottery office, so that drives the need to claim as soon as possible. On the other side, you have the need to get your sh** in order too.

We don't know his full story. He may already have a lawyer, and accountant, friends in the fininacial services industry. The rest, he can take care of in the intervening couple weeks while they work in transferring his funds. I remember a few of the early claimants were similarly upper middle class or retired. So they might be more grounded and ready to handle such a winfall, as much as can be expected.

But if you are a homeless or on welfare, with existing family drama, etc. Well, then you might need to get a few more things in order before you go to the lottery office.

Yea I think due to him being an engineer, he probably already has an attorney and financial contacts but it still was fast.  But it was a good sign that he said he had too much work on his desk to consider leaving right away. Again, for some jobs you have ethical and professional obligations, and walking away without timely notice could compromise your license, professional credentials, etc. so he is keeping his head straight. But not sure why he brought his boss, but maybe he is a friend. I read an article that he had gone through the scenario in his mind many times so maybe he had plan like most of the people on LP.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Aug 8, 2013

Yea I think due to him being an engineer, he probably already has an attorney and financial contacts but it still was fast.  But it was a good sign that he said he had too much work on his desk to consider leaving right away. Again, for some jobs you have ethical and professional obligations, and walking away without timely notice could compromise your license, professional credentials, etc. so he is keeping his head straight. But not sure why he brought his boss, but maybe he is a friend. I read an article that he had gone through the scenario in his mind many times so maybe he had plan like most of the people on LP.

I Agree! Yep, Paul sounds like a stand up kind of guy, with a good head on his shoulders. He's a regular player and an engineer, I bet he knows more than most casual players about the lottery and what to do if he won. Good for him!

Plus, it said he was a regular scratch-off player, that also sometimes plays the big jackpot games. So maybe there's hope for the rest of us like that.

CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS!!! Hurray!

Rant

Can't believe Jersey won the jackpot again, and twice in the same draw. Dang them all. I say make them sit out the next couple of jackpots. Who's with me?

Rant

Texas rocked it this time with 4 2nd prizes! Usually Texas is out of the top. We must be getting some good randoms tossed our way. Dance

Ok, back to normal, nothing to see here... White Bounce

You're so cute Pia, but you did predict that NJ was gonna take it and I agreed with you (wasn't me though).

Paul White, of minnesota, one of the three lucky winners, already claimed his jackpot. BOY TALK ABOUT FAST. This must be a new record. Congrats!!!.

Paul White holds a check for his $149.4 million Powerball jackpot winnings at a news conference at Minnesota State Lottery headquarters in Roseville

Great photo mypiemaster! His wife's reaction says it all!

jamella724

Even though the prize was split into 3, the winners still have huge amount of jackpot prize! If I will win $150 million I will travel around the world. I wonder when will I hit the jackpot prize.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story