Lottery winner stays grounded after $220 million jackpot

Aug 12, 2013, 4:15 pm (127 comments)

After the Big Win

Says waiting to claim jackpot was best thing he did

Includes audio report

In 2005, Brad Duke of Star, Idaho, hit a huge jackpot: $220 million in the Powerball lottery. It took a couple days, even a couple of weeks, for the magnitude of his win to hit. He didn't tell anyone, and went about his daily routines while he tried to figure out what he wanted to do next.

As a regular lottery player, Duke had let himself fantasize about what it might be like to win thousands of dollars someday. As a cyclist, he'd always daydreamed about owning a high-end road bike and a high-end mountain bike, which his actual windfall would certainly cover.

But Duke didn't go on a spending spree. "I stayed in my house, I drove a used car for up to three years afterwards," he tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "The more I started to fantasize about what I could do with the money, the more I felt like I should try to keep my feet on the ground and change as little as I could."

AUDIO: Listen to the radio report

NPR

Comments

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

Great example of what to do and not to do - especially the part about not telling anyone and taking the time to figure what to do. I would imagine you'd experience some incredible euphoria after winning and that wouldn't be a good time to make any decisions or deal with all the hands that would be reaching out.  I'd arrange to have a monitored security and surveillance system installed at my house, get a new cell number, then disappear for at least a month someplace nice while I took the time to think and plan.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Approveglad to hear hes still enjoying his winnings and keeping his feet firmly on the ground

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 12, 2013

Approveglad to hear hes still enjoying his winnings and keeping his feet firmly on the ground

I remember when he won his jackpot,he had plans to parlay his winnings into 1 billion dollars.I wonder if he's getting close to a billion yet.

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 12, 2013

I remember when he won his jackpot,he had plans to parlay his winnings into 1 billion dollars.I wonder if he's getting close to a billion yet.

He probably changed his mind. Way too much risk and stress. Better to kick back and enjoy life.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

what was them numbers Smiley

OldSchoolHits

Yeah, that's nice and all, but I wouldn't be driving a used car for up to 3 years after winning that amount of money. Keeping your feet on the ground is one thing, but you give me $85 million free and clear (which is what he got with the lump sum) and I can tell you that although I'd try to stay grounded, I'd get a new car. Ever see a U-Haul following a hearse?

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Good Job.Thumbs UpThe curse of the lottery is a myth.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolHits on Aug 12, 2013

Yeah, that's nice and all, but I wouldn't be driving a used car for up to 3 years after winning that amount of money. Keeping your feet on the ground is one thing, but you give me $85 million free and clear (which is what he got with the lump sum) and I can tell you that although I'd try to stay grounded, I'd get a new car. Ever see a U-Haul following a hearse?

many winners take the opposite approach to what he did, but being that conservative and careful seem a little over the top. certainly, enjoying at least a new vehicle and perhaps a somewhat modest new house with all the bells and whistles wouldn't seem to deter him from his goal? of building it to a billion dollars why? would he need a billion if he frugally hangs on to the 85 million or so he already won. his actions kind of border on the absurd. a middle road approach would seem to make more sense since you only live once. spend some more money and enjoy it while you can before  he drives into a crevice on that mountain bike or something. more than likely wherever he has stashed all this cash (with investment bankers who are probably licking their chops knowing he won't be asking for a cashout very soon) some or a lot will be pilfered from him. very few 100% honest investment bankers around, so i hope he chose one or more after doing meticulous research.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

There's always the possibility that he's just cheap.

Maybe he always was and always will be.

Cheapskates just have a hard time parting with money, no matter how much they have.

Good-Time-Charlie types, like me, can't stand being around cheapskates. 

Being smart with your money is one thing but being a penny-pinching, tightwad, skinflint cheapskate is quite another.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Glad he still has all his moneyThumbs Up

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 12, 2013

Cheapskates just have a hard time parting with money, no matter how much they have.

Being smart with your money is one thing but being a penny-pinching, tightwad, skinflint cheapskate is quite another.

Yeah- being a tightwad is no fun at all- why play the game if you going to hang onto the money?

l say if you win and have a problem with money: have a budget. For instance if one won $50 mil after taxes and  you said l will spend $1,000,000 a year, if you divide that sum into 12 months- we talking about spending $83,300 A MONTH.That is just a conservative estimate and one anyone can live with.Of course one can always spend more if they so choose- but consider that sum of money with wise investments and charities to boot- one can still live a full, happy and productive life- year in year out. 

No cheapskates for me either Ridge.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I Agree!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Well thanks hilll guy, just checkin in before I check out.

Hate skin-flints too, cept now gotta go to you tube to hear " Good time Charlie"

Yea,  Cool Cheers  great tune,

check It out .

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Aug 12, 2013

Well thanks hilll guy, just checkin in before I check out.

Hate skin-flints too, cept now gotta go to you tube to hear " Good time Charlie"

Yea,  Cool Cheers  great tune,

check It out .

Yep,

Some gotta win

Some gotta lose

Good Time Charlie's got the blues.

I remember that one.Cheers

gogidolim

Sorry folks. I'd go the same way as Brad if I was in his shoes. I just don't get what's wrong with being thrifty. Better than those towelheads who collect Ferraris like Hot Wheels. Probably many of you guys won't understand but I have a serious aversion to flaunting wealth. Actually it has something to do with coming from a devout Catholic family.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by gogidolim on Aug 13, 2013

Sorry folks. I'd go the same way as Brad if I was in his shoes. I just don't get what's wrong with being thrifty. Better than those towelheads who collect Ferraris like Hot Wheels. Probably many of you guys won't understand but I have a serious aversion to flaunting wealth. Actually it has something to do with coming from a devout Catholic family.

I use to be Catholic, but i became a Atheist so i could spend all my money.

noise-gate

Funny you should mention your " serious aversion to flaunting wealth"-How about King Solomon?

Though it is not known what the worth of King Solomon and his holdings amounted to in dollars, he is reputed as the wealthiest figure in history. The Bible contends that King Solomon held a fortune that dwarfed any and every person that lived before him. And this fortune did not diminish – each year Solomon received 25 tons of gold, as well as income derived from business, trade and annual tribute paid to him by all of the kings and governors of Arabia. King Solomon’s throne was coated in pure gold and inlaid with ivory. It had 6 stairs, 12 lion statues (1 on either side of each step) and a solid gold foot stool. Two larger gold lion statues stood on either side of the throne.

All of the goblets and household articles in Solomon’s palace were pure gold. King Solomon was reportedly so rich, that during the years of his reign over Jerusalem, his immense wealth caused silver to be considered of little value and as common as rocks. As such, nothing in Solomon’s palace was made of silver.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

....and when he dies, his relatives will squander all that money, on luxury items he never got to enjoy.

gogidolim

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Aug 13, 2013

Funny you should mention your " serious aversion to flaunting wealth"-How about King Solomon?

Though it is not known what the worth of King Solomon and his holdings amounted to in dollars, he is reputed as the wealthiest figure in history. The Bible contends that King Solomon held a fortune that dwarfed any and every person that lived before him. And this fortune did not diminish – each year Solomon received 25 tons of gold, as well as income derived from business, trade and annual tribute paid to him by all of the kings and governors of Arabia. King Solomon’s throne was coated in pure gold and inlaid with ivory. It had 6 stairs, 12 lion statues (1 on either side of each step) and a solid gold foot stool. Two larger gold lion statues stood on either side of the throne.

All of the goblets and household articles in Solomon’s palace were pure gold. King Solomon was reportedly so rich, that during the years of his reign over Jerusalem, his immense wealth caused silver to be considered of little value and as common as rocks. As such, nothing in Solomon’s palace was made of silver.

Uh...yeah. I know what you mean but seriously there are a lot of people in here that will be more than offended if you guys say anything negative about their faith.

Regarding King Solomon, all I can say is that I read a few books about related subject. And...many LP members will be very unhappy if they read them. You know, I've been a member for a while and I know how it goes and I know the demographics of the core members are.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 12, 2013

why? your usual dimwitted response from a tornado dodger. yet, you hope everyone wins big why? so they can hoard it like this idaho schmuck. what did the "i agree" button break on your computer. a response from you should be no response.

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Aug 13, 2013

why? your usual dimwitted response from a tornado dodger. yet, you hope everyone wins big why? so they can hoard it like this idaho schmuck. what did the "i agree" button break on your computer. a response from you should be no response.

What did you do,double down on your hateful pills this morning?

faber98

thriftyness is for poor people. not this guy. why bother playing if you have an aversion to flaunting wealth. i hope you tithe so the vatican can flaunt their wealth by including your money in their porfolios

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 13, 2013

yes, clete. but just once would like to see an original comment from that "gun totin" oklahomaite other than "i agree". why is she glad he still has all his money. cheap, cheap, cheap, sheep.

CLETU$

yes, clete. but just once would like to see an original comment from that "gun totin" oklahomaite other than "i agree". why is she glad he still has all his money. cheap, cheap, cheap, sheep.

The last time I checked there was no requirement to have an origunal comment on this board.If she agrees with every post that she responds to,so what?It isn't any skin off your a$$.At least most of  her posts are positive which is more than I can say for yours.

Ronnie316

The last time I checked there was no requirement to have an origunal comment on this board.If she agrees with every post that she responds to,so what?It isn't any skin off your a$$.At least most of  her posts are positive which is more than I can say for yours.

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 13, 2013

....and when he dies, his relatives will squander all that money, on luxury items he never got to enjoy.

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Thumbs Down There is a difference between "flaunting" and enjoying.

Ronnie316

I Agree!

noise-gate

Why does he have ALL his money, from what l heard him say, his bought a couple of upscale bicycles and that's it.  Winning over $200 mil and buying just that strikes me as strange.

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

"As a cyclist, he'd always daydreamed about owning a high-end road bike and a high-end mountain bike"

Enough said there.  Cyclists are a disease,  well most of them anyways.  Maybe he can  get a cyclist fund started so he can help fund all of those cyclist paths and trails,  instead of motorists paying for the cyclist projects. 

Requiring bicycles to have a license plate with yearly licensing fees would definitely help cover there unsustainable projects.

Ronnie316

Why does he have ALL his money, from what l heard him say, his bought a couple of upscale bicycles and that's it.  Winning over $200 mil and buying just that strikes me as strange.

I Agree! If that's all you're going to do to enjoy the money, why bother playing?

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Aug 13, 2013

"As a cyclist, he'd always daydreamed about owning a high-end road bike and a high-end mountain bike"

Enough said there.  Cyclists are a disease,  well most of them anyways.  Maybe he can  get a cyclist fund started so he can help fund all of those cyclist paths and trails,  instead of motorists paying for the cyclist projects. 

Requiring bicycles to have a license plate with yearly licensing fees would definitely help cover there unsustainable projects.

Agreed. ....

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Aug 13, 2013

I Agree! Cyclist who drive on the road are just a nuisance. We built them paths on the roadway and instead of riding in the path, they ride on the line which disrupts the flow of traffic.

Ronnie316

Agreed. ....

I Agree!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 13, 2013

I Agree! If that's all you're going to do to enjoy the money, why bother playing?

I agree to your agreement.

gogidolim

thriftyness is for poor people. not this guy. why bother playing if you have an aversion to flaunting wealth. i hope you tithe so the vatican can flaunt their wealth by including your money in their porfolios

I am a Unitarian and I don't belong to Catholic church anymore. And as a member of Unitarian Universalism I have studied a lot of religions out there. Now I am studying Buddhism. 

One reason why I don't want to live a life of luxury even if I win a big one is...I really hate those towelheads who collect supercars and supermodels like toys. I have no intention to lower myself like those parasites.

noise-gate

What is your definition of Towelhead?

flossdog

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 12, 2013

what was them numbers Smiley

1-2-3-4-5   PB-6  What?

Ronnie316

Someone who wraps a towel around their head?

flossdog

I am a Unitarian and I don't belong to Catholic church anymore. And as a member of Unitarian Universalism I have studied a lot of religions out there. Now I am studying Buddhism. 

One reason why I don't want to live a life of luxury even if I win a big one is...I really hate those towelheads who collect supercars and supermodels like toys. I have no intention to lower myself like those parasites.

You're missing out then. I can't keep enough of them in stock. Cool

gogidolim

Those <snip>s living off the devil's piss, which is petroleum.

Trust me, some of the nicest people I have met were Arab Muslims. One Muslim baker often sent tasty cakes to my Veteran's Club at my school. You know, if someone's a kind of person who lives off the natural resources and makes an obscene amount of fortune, chances are he will be inclined to live a life of luxury.

My father was an engineer working in Saudi Arabia back in the 70s. He spent years in there, working hard. And he has nothing positive to say about the ruling class of that country.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Ronnie316

I would'nt mind "lowering" myself to having supercars and supermodels like toys.

Ronnie316

Trust me, some of the nicest people I have met were Arab Muslims. One Muslim baker often sent tasty cakes to my Veteran's Club at my school. You know, if someone's a kind of person who lives off the natural resources and makes an obscene amount of fortune, chances are he will be inclined to live a life of luxury.

My father was an engineer working in Saudi Arabia back in the 70s. He spent years in there, working hard. And he has nothing positive to say about the ruling class of that country.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

How much is devils piss per gallon?

Ronnie316

Does he like the new "ruling class" here?

noise-gate

Your answer would define you as a Racist. On the one hand you praising them and on the other you ripping them a new one because they can afford to buy expensive toys with money that is not from ill- gotten gain?
Since you still seem to be continuing your religious journey- you need reminding that Buddhism does not embrace racism.

Ronnie316

America embraces my right to be a racist if I so choose. Yes Nod

gogidolim

Your answer would define you as a Racist. On the one hand you praising them and on the other you ripping them a new one because they can afford to buy expensive toys with money that is not from ill- gotten gain?
Since you still seem to be continuing your religious journey- you need reminding that Buddhism does not embrace racism.

I don't think I can convince you otherwise. :(

You know, I'll just PM you. No, nothing sinister or harassing.

noise-gate

America does NOT.embrace your right to be such- it tolerates it- once again you speaking through your anal orifice Ronnie.

noise-gate

I don't think I can convince you otherwise. :(

You know, I'll just PM you. No, nothing sinister or harassing.

This is a discussion forum and l do not need convincing on matters that l find offensive.

Ronnie316

America does NOT.embrace your right to be such- it tolerates it- once again you speaking through your anal orifice Ronnie.

Thanks you for noticing noise. Would you by chance embrace Muslim jihad over racism?

Ronnie316

Actually this is the news forum noise, and you are trashing it up.

Ronnie316

gogidolim....... Are you by chance a single male in Upland CA?

i enjoy Looking @ all my money once in awhile Hat

Quote: Originally posted by flossdog on Aug 13, 2013

1-2-3-4-5   PB-6  What?

wrongNo No

i found them

05-07-24-28-39 (36)Hurray!

Ronnie316

Oh that's right.... You get offended anytime someone has an opinion that does not match up with yours.

Very strange but his choice.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 13, 2013

wrongNo No

i found them

05-07-24-28-39 (36)Hurray!

Nice work, you are a winner.

Nice work, you are a winner.

yep i have learned on here if you want something done you got to do it youself, no one will help you.Sad

and Trust NO ONE!No Nod

Ronnie316

yep i have learned on here if you want something done you got to do it youself, no one will help you.Sad

and Trust NO ONE!No Nod

Why dont you trust no one?

...one man's meat, is another man's poison.

...a life of luxury to one person, is another person's mundane existence.

Ronnie316

I Agree!

Brad Duke is A Winner 

brad_duke.03.jpg

what does that even meanHat

Ronnie316

Brad Duke is A Winner 

brad_duke.03.jpg

I dont think he is a lottery player anymore.

I Agree!

No Pity!

why would he stop Bang Head

Ronnie316

No Pity!

Roll Eyes

Why play, if all you do is PI$$ on the money?

Roll Eyes

Jester Laugh

Ronnie316

Why play, if all you do is PI$$ on the money?

Pissing away money is BETTER than hording money.

Ronnie316

noise-gate    +      gogidolim         =        love nest       

noise-gate

Thanks you for noticing noise. Would you by chance embrace Muslim jihad over racism?

I embrace neither- you also comparing Apples to Oranges,  one does need to be violent to be a racist,  the same cannot be said about Jihadists.
Did you finish high school because your reasoning on matters is kinda twisted!

Ronnie316

I embrace neither- you also comparing Apples to Oranges,  one does need to be violent to be a racist,  the same cannot be said about Jihadists.

You sound like you are suffering from mental insanity.

Ronnie316

It also sounds like you DO in fact embrace and support jihad. No violence involved there.........

Green laugh

Brad Duke is A Winner 

brad_duke.03.jpg

..ol' Dukeee is sitting on the floor at home, playing with wads of cash.

..for he did not buy himself a nicer toy

..give that money to charity so "she" can spend it all

..before we all kill each other arguing about your ...fill in the blank.

..ol' Dukeee is sitting on the floor at home, playing with wads of cash.

..for he did not buy himself a nicer toy

..give that money to charity so "she" can spend it all

..before we all kill each other arguing about your ...fill in the blank.

Green laugh

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

Agree with you here if you don't like a buffet why go to a buffet pay for meal and tell the manager oh am on diet too lol.

Stack47

Most players don't expect to win so very few probably think about the downside. Can they still relate to their friends and family members when they have enough money to buy a small country?

Family get-togethers or conversations with his co-workers at breaks and lunch were probably interesting. Someone will say "I wish I could afford a new car or a nice vacation" (hint, hint). We're always hearing the advice of learning to say "no", but that translates into losing most of your friends and your family won't be happy for you any more either.

I think Duke would be satisfied had he won enough just to be comfortable, but because he won so much, he became obsessed with his bottom line. Bet he pays his financial advisers, lawyers, and publicist more a year than he spends enjoying his life or helping someone buy a new car or go on a nice vacation. I wonder if he had to consult with his financial advisors when one of his co-workers asked to borrow 20 bucks until payday.

Ronnie316

This could easily be the most stupid thing ever written on LP.......................

If I happen to think one race is BETTER than another race, (as in one race being more athletically gifted) how does that require violence or "being violent" on my part?

Did you learn that stuff in a class room, from a "professor"?

noise-gate

It also sounds like you DO in fact embrace and support jihad. No violence involved there.........

Green laugh

Its just as l thought-you fail to comprehend the words " embrace neither". You assume that l am all for the destruction of myself along with  this Great Country. I have to say you are incapable of thinking clearly.
Come to think of it- you did  in not too many words say that Arizona is a Gay- Free State.Good luck with that assumption.

Ronnie316

Its just as l thought-you fail to comprehend the words " embrace neither". You assume that l am all for the destruction of myself along with  this Great Country. I have to say you are incapable of thinking clearly.
Come to think of it- you did  in not too many words say that Arizona is a Gay- Free State.Good luck with that assumption.

You are the one who said racism requires violence and jihad does NOT. Get a grip on yourself man. Where did you hear that I ever said anything about "Gay" on any level at any time?

noise-gate

Ronnie- you are the one that brought up the topic of Jihadists. .Perhaps you ought to think before pressing " enter".

Ronnie316

Ronnie- you are the one that brought up the topic of Jihadists. .Perhaps you ought to think before pressing " enter".

Unlike you I know what I brought up and I know what I said. If you are asking me to drop it thats fine with me. I'm not here for the sake of personal attacks. But I am allowed to have onions that differ from yours.

Ronnie316

There was such a funny typo, I decided to leave it in...... Green laugh

noise-gate

The topic under discussion had nothing to do with you- l was responding to the other posting with regards to the term " towelhead" - you found it necessary to side with him and throw in Jihadists. ..don't you read any of your crap before responding?
For the most part you in left field - you sided with the crooked Ashkar son, you sided with the son who threw his Mother under the bus with the lottery win...and here you are now trying to lecture me on Jihadists. .nice try Ronnie.

* At the end of the day - l would like to think we had a discussion & agreed to disagree on some things.Peace.
Lurking

Unlike you I know what I brought up and I know what I said. If you are asking me to drop it thats fine with me. I'm not here for the sake of personal attacks. But I am allowed to have onions that differ from yours.

But I am allowed to have onions

is them Caramelized ,Green or Pickled Onions Green laugh

There was such a funny typo, I decided to leave it in...... Green laugh

you are super duper FUNNY! Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

i thought we was talking about Brad Duke how this get turn aroundClown

i thought we was talking about Brad Duke how this get turn aroundClown

Ol' Dukeee's Master Plan.......Paranoia will destroy ya....

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

can you imagine all the hands out and crying for money? it would be sad.

Ronnie316

The topic under discussion had nothing to do with you- l was responding to the other posting with regards to the term " towelhead" - you found it necessary to side with him and throw in Jihadists. ..don't you read any of your crap before responding?
For the most part you in left field - you sided with the crooked Ashkar son, you sided with the son who threw his Mother under the bus with the lottery win...and here you are now trying to lecture me on Jihadists. .nice try Ronnie.

* At the end of the day - l would like to think we had a discussion & agreed to disagree on some things.Peace.
Lurking

Ok, lets agree. lol. I do tend to give opinions that are unpopular and even when unsolicited at times. I suppose I still need to work on my posting eradicate. Perhaps a collage course would help?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrey on Aug 13, 2013

can you imagine all the hands out and crying for money? it would be sad.

I Agree! I would give consideration to each and every request.

I Agree!             getting ALL THAT  Mail For You will be so much FUNHurray!

Ok, lets agree. lol. I do tend to give opinions that are unpopular and even when unsolicited at times. I suppose I still need to work on my posting eradicate. Perhaps a collage course would help?

Opinions are just that...opinions. It gives us a 360 degree view of things. Nothing to get happy or pi$$ed about. Can you imagine, what will happen if we all see things, through the same pinhole. This is a forum and different perspectives are definitely welcomed, regardless of whether we like it or not, life goes on. I must say that the ONION part, though unintentional, was pure genius.

Opinions are just that...opinions. It gives us a 360 degree view of things. Nothing to get happy or pi$$ed about. Can you imagine, what will happen if we all see things, through the same pinhole. This is a forum and different perspectives are definitely welcomed, regardless of whether we like it or not, life goes on. I must say that the ONION part, though unintentional, was pure genius.

I Agree! Kinda the same thing right they both can make you  Crying

veganlife125's avatarveganlife125

I bet he is enjoying his money alot more than that.  People with money "poor mouth" to get along in society because of the masses envy.  Remember Mitt Romney's wife at her convention speech talking about how her and Mitt was so poor that they had to use two saw horses and a piece of plywood as a dining room table in their college dorm? lmao! They came from rich families and suffered no such hardship and everyone new it.  It just shows how you must down play wealth to be liked or just get along.  Talk about "saving" and they hate you.  Flaunt that money and they "hate" you.  Bragg about that money and they "hate" you.  "poor mouth" to far and they "hate" you.  Don't talk about giving your money away to charites even after the government has take a 65% theft tax and they "hate" you.  WOW ITS ROUGH AT THE TOP! ! !Banana

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by veganlife125 on Aug 13, 2013

I bet he is enjoying his money alot more than that.  People with money "poor mouth" to get along in society because of the masses envy.  Remember Mitt Romney's wife at her convention speech talking about how her and Mitt was so poor that they had to use two saw horses and a piece of plywood as a dining room table in their college dorm? lmao! They came from rich families and suffered no such hardship and everyone new it.  It just shows how you must down play wealth to be liked or just get along.  Talk about "saving" and they hate you.  Flaunt that money and they "hate" you.  Bragg about that money and they "hate" you.  "poor mouth" to far and they "hate" you.  Don't talk about giving your money away to charites even after the government has take a 65% theft tax and they "hate" you.  WOW ITS ROUGH AT THE TOP! ! !Banana

Let me win a jackpot and the masses can hate me all they want.It won't bother me a bit.I'll just hate 'em back!

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Vegan- Interesting perspective there. Food for thought for sure.

Brad Duke has faired well and kept it simple. Words to live by.

The  Attitude of Entitlement some folks exhibit be they poor, middle class, or rich is what I find most disturbing. 

Brad does seem gracious in his attitude, seems genuine.

Oops, veganlife125, you're giving away one of the biggest "survival" skills/methods of multimillionaires and billionaires (Buffett, Gates, Hughes, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford, etc.).  I'll immediately begin using this (or simply go stealth and not speak about my past, present, and future to anyone) and more upon winning MM or PB jackpot.

Thinking of...

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

That is why I don't give a turd about what people think or say about me. I would get a vanity license plate that says "KSM ASS"

yeah, most people might at first think it is a couples initials, but smart people will look again and mouth "kiss ma ass!

but overall, I will still be a good guy...I will just be better at saying "no". KSM ASS

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

"...Mitt was so poor that they had to use two saw horses and a piece of plywood as a dining room table in their college dorm? lmao! They came from rich families and suffered no such hardship and everyone new it."

But the guy who you say "lied" about eating off plywood in college (wow, what an egregious lie!) wouldn't have left four of his countrymen to die in Benghazi. I think the families of the dead Americans might overlook the horror of "lying" (according to YOU) about a table in college if they could have their loved ones back rather than listen to the current and blatant lies and coverups about their deaths.

Other than that, I have no disdain for rich people. That's for the lazy and the ignorant and the envious. And they are now voting for their own prosperity and aggrandizement rather than working for it anyway. Which will be our downfall. The Goose that laid the Golden Egg is on life support and just about dead, covered in festering sores from the mountain of swarming, suffocating parasites now sucking the life out of it.

Good luck!

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 13, 2013

"...Mitt was so poor that they had to use two saw horses and a piece of plywood as a dining room table in their college dorm? lmao! They came from rich families and suffered no such hardship and everyone new it."

But the guy who you say "lied" about eating off plywood in college (wow, what an egregious lie!) wouldn't have left four of his countrymen to die in Benghazi. I think the families of the dead Americans might overlook the horror of "lying" (according to YOU) about a table in college if they could have their loved ones back rather than listen to the current and blatant lies and coverups about their deaths.

Other than that, I have no disdain for rich people. That's for the lazy and the ignorant and the envious. And they are now voting for their own prosperity and aggrandizement rather than working for it anyway. Which will be our downfall. The Goose that laid the Golden Egg is on life support and just about dead, covered in festering sores from the mountain of swarming, suffocating parasites now sucking the life out of it.

Good luck!

You DO have a way with words!

Keep them flowing.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You DO have a way with words!

Keep them flowing.

Thanks CLETUS.

I just couldn't let that go, complaining about a supposed lie in college when there's a constant litany of lies covering up the murder of Americans and that's not afforded a mention. I think murdered Americans are way more important than a plywood table if you wanna discuss lying by politicians and I think it's an insult to bring up any lying by any politician without getting to the bottom of this scandal that certain people want to just go away.

I also know this debate belongs in the blogs so I'll refrain from going any further here and will be available in the blogs if anybody has a comment or concern.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Good luck!

I agree!  They chose to live and experience a frugal student lifestyle and I find that dignified.  Now they are at fault for not living in a huge mansion while they were going to school???

Good luck!

I wasn't making a political statement and you know it rdgrnr!  I thought the thread was about Brad Duke and his comments concerning his money, no?  I didn't know i couldn't quote "Ann Romney" in the context of said discussion without someone having a leap of logic into Benghazi.

In regards to your second paragraph rdgrnr ill just have to agree with Cletus above when he said:  "You DO have a way with words keep them flowing!" 

cheers

CLETU$

Thanks CLETUS.

I just couldn't let that go, complaining about a supposed lie in college when there's a constant litany of lies covering up the murder of Americans and that's not afforded a mention. I think murdered Americans are way more important than a plywood table if you wanna discuss lying by politicians and I think it's an insult to bring up any lying by any politician without getting to the bottom of this scandal that certain people want to just go away.

I also know this debate belongs in the blogs so I'll refrain from going any further here and will be available in the blogs if anybody has a comment or concern.

Roger that,rdgrnr!

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Aug 13, 2013

That is why I don't give a turd about what people think or say about me. I would get a vanity license plate that says "KSM ASS"

yeah, most people might at first think it is a couples initials, but smart people will look again and mouth "kiss ma ass!

but overall, I will still be a good guy...I will just be better at saying "no". KSM ASS

When you do win the big one do us all a favor OldSchoolPa will ya?  Put a few Benghazi stickers next to your "KSM ASS" tag just long enough to scan a few pics of them on here for "rdgrnr".  The rest of us will get a few giggles with his reactionsBig Grin.

Ronnie316

Thanks for that post. With the new spell check the options (and errant clicks) can be almost endless.

Thanks for that post. With the new spell check the options (and errant clicks) can be almost endless.

Meet the "Ocean's 16" N.J. Powerball Winners  They look pretty happy. Check'em out.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

When you do win the big one do us all a favor OldSchoolPa will ya?  Put a few Benghazi stickers next to your "KSM ASS" tag just long enough to scan a few pics of them on here for "rdgrnr".  The rest of us will get a few giggles with his reactionsBig Grin.

"Put a few Benghazi stickers next to your "KSM ASS" tag..."

"The rest of us will get a few giggles..."Big Grin

Giggle on, veganlife, giggle on.

It's just a "phony scandal" anyway right?

Just 4 dead Americans, who cares, right?

Screw their families, right?

No, screw you, veganlife. Screw you.

I Agree! Kinda the same thing right they both can make you  Crying

I Agree! Very clever indeed.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

PartySTAY GROUNDED Party

"ToDay's the Day"

DanceScared     PSYKOMO     ScaredDance           

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 12, 2013

Yep, CLETU$, that was what I was hoping to read too!  Big disappointment that it wasn't mentioned in this article. 

I think that in year 2008 there was an interview with Brad, where he indicated that there were some snags, so he decided to lower his financial team's "goal financial growth amount" [amount was undisclosed though]!

Lurking

Bumkillah

Clown

Yupp now thats 1 cheap <snip>. What gives u can't take the $$$ with you to the grave so spend & enjoy well you still alive ????   When ever I win a $1 0n a $1 scratcher woo hoo 

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

"I stayed in my house, I drove a used car for up to three years afterwards,"

Hiding Behind Computer

#HolyChickenFingersBatman Thud

Quote: Originally posted by LottoGuyBC on Aug 15, 2013

"I stayed in my house, I drove a used car for up to three years afterwards,"

Hiding Behind Computer

#HolyChickenFingersBatman Thud

..and kids will point at the house and proclaim loudly, "THAT'S WHERE MR. SCROOGE LIVES".

Ol' Dukeee's Master Plan.......Paranoia will destroy ya....

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Aug 13, 2013

PartySTAY GROUNDED Party

"ToDay's the Day"

DanceScared     PSYKOMO     ScaredDance           

psykomo is a Winner Party

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

i would set up a 1900 number "  I WON THE LOTTO , SUBMIT YOUR BEGGING  REQUESTS HERE "  or something

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I need major backing in a big way from a silent partner for my Chicken Soup in a Sponge idea.

I just wanted to get that out there so when you win I'm first in line and stuff.

I just need the funding.

I'll handle all the details and let you know how much money we made or if I lost it all due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control and moved to Hawaii.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 16, 2013

I need major backing in a big way from a silent partner for my Chicken Soup in a Sponge idea.

I just wanted to get that out there so when you win I'm first in line and stuff.

I just need the funding.

I'll handle all the details and let you know how much money we made or if I lost it all due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control and moved to Hawaii.

lol lol No cheesy poufs in a sponge for dessert?

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Aug 16, 2013

lol lol No cheesy poufs in a sponge for dessert?

Naw, he just likes to knock over the stand on the way out the store.  Wink

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Saw a show on Brad Duke recently. Some of the posters here think he is the ultimate cheapskate who still lives in a shack and drives a used VW Jetta.  Apparently, Mr. Duke has been enjoying some of his wealth for the past several years as he bought himself a very nice mansion and several new vehicles including an Aston Martin Vanquish to go grocery shopping.  His life isn't as frugal as the interview portraits.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax
Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Sep 12, 2013

curious footnote

Read about him a while back. He is certainly discreet and a very private individual. His home although described as "modest" is the nicest and most expensive in his town.

jamella724

I hope other lottery winners will do what Brad did, it must be hard for him to stay grounded. Often than not, most lottery winners change their lifestyle, buy expensive things and quite their jobs. I admire his courage to stay silent and plan first before taking any actions with regards to his money. I think I will do just the same once I hit the jackpot prize.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story