Teammates fool Diamondbacks player with lottery prank

Aug 19, 2013, 6:37 am (21 comments)

Insider Buzz

Includes video report

PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Each Sunday when he is in town, Diamondbacks mental skills coach Peter Crone sits with pitcher Wade Miley and the two scratch off some lottery tickets.

Earlier this year, Crone was talking with Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz, and the pair discussed what it would be like if they could pull a prank on Miley by convincing him that he actually won.

"Peter and I were talking one day and decided, 'Hmmm, that might be kind of funny,'" Putz said.

Fellow reliever Will Harris picked up a fake lottery ticket from Spencer's and they mixed it in with the real ones last Sunday.

"I thought I won $10,000," Miley said.

As he jumped around high-fiving his teammates in the trainer's room, Crone brought him back down to earth.

"You know there's a lot of people in here right now for no reason," Crone told him.

It was then Miley realized he had been pranked. To make matters worse, the team sent the video to MLB Network's Intentional Talk, and it aired this past week.

"They set me up," Miley said. "The whole world knows now."

So Miley did what any normal person does when they've been pranked — he turned it around on someone else.

Miley picked up lottery tickets on the way home that night and had his brother, Aaron, scratch them off.

"He was just as excited as I was," Miley said of his brother when he thought he won $10,000.

"It could have been better with my brother," said Miley, who could not keep a straight face for very long. "I just lost it."

VIDEO: Watch the prank

MLB, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

No Pity!

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 19, 2013

No Pity!

I Agree!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by LottoGuyBC on Aug 19, 2013

I Agree!

I Agree!

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Must be a no news day.

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 19, 2013

Must be a no news day.

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Sleepy

RedStang's avatarRedStang

If he gets to the big league, he'll be making that every pitch.

Somebody from LP better win the jackpot this week, so we ca have some real news.

JoshUK

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 19, 2013

Somebody from LP better win the jackpot this week, so we ca have some real news.

Don't worry I am on it, already discussed my headline with Todd

"LotteryPost member JoshUK has hit it big with £68M Jackpot on the EuroMillions"

and........ then I woke up. No Pity!

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Aug 19, 2013

"LotteryPost member JoshUK has hit it big with £68M Jackpot on the EuroMillions"

LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 19, 2013

Sleepy

I Agree! boring Thumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Aug 19, 2013

Oh yeah. The universal dream sequence of lottery players, sometimes accompanied by the winning numbersDupe Alert

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

lottery pranks sucks

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by surimaribo24 on Aug 19, 2013

lottery pranks sucks

P***ed

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

those who can't tell phoney tickets from the real McCoys , get what they deserve Roll Eyes

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 19, 2013

those who can't tell phoney tickets from the real McCoys , get what they deserve Roll Eyes

I've seen some pretty good fake tickets out there,The only thing missing was what state the ticket was from.It was a rotten thing to do to a freind.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

lottery pranks sucks

I Agree!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Aug 19, 2013

I've seen some pretty good fake tickets out there,The only thing missing was what state the ticket was from.It was a rotten thing to do to a freind.

I Agree! .  I'd fire that coach if possible; because who knows what unprofessional, additional "emotional" buttons he'd be willing to push in the future.

What?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

lottery pranks sucks

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Aug 19, 2013

I Agree! .  I'd fire that coach if possible; because who knows what unprofessional, additional "emotional" buttons he'd be willing to push in the future.

What?

Relegate him to the minors forever, until he grows up.

jamella724

Well it is nice to know that he is actually cool about it. There are some people who are not able to take jokes well, so people should be careful to throw jokes on others. I wouldn't be happy if someone will have this kind of prank on me especially I'm quite serious with my game.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story