SC Lottery to end Carolina Cash 6 game

Aug 25, 2013, 7:10 am (22 comments)

South Carolina Lottery

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Carolina Cash 6 game from the South Carolina Education Lottery will end with the Thursday, October 17 drawing.

The announcement comes after ticket sales for the game introduced on April 2 of this year fell short of expectations.

"Our players never fully embraced the Carolina Cash 6 game, and without their support there was no reason to continue selling tickets for a game that did not generate player interest," Lottery Executive Director Paula Harper Bethea said. "At the Education Lottery we continually refresh our products and listen to feedback from players. Our players have spoken on Carolina Cash 6. We owe it to them and to the state to discontinue the game and find other ways to maximize funding for education."

Ticket sales for advance draws will taper down leading up to the final drawing on Thursday, October 17. Players can purchase Carolina Cash 6 tickets up until 6:45 p.m. that evening for the 6:59 p.m. final drawing.

Winning ticket holders will still have 180 days from the draw date to claim prizes.

Once all verified winning tickets have been claimed and paid, any remaining funds from the Carolina Cash 6 game will be given to the state to support educational initiatives in South Carolina.

Thanks to John R. for the tip.

Press Release

Comments

LottoBoner

I guess they just didn't want to spend $2 bucks to win a grand prize of only 200K.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

The people stated their stand by refusing to play this game. Demote the team that proposed this failed game. They did not do any market research.

LottoBoner

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Aug 25, 2013

The people stated their stand by refusing to play this game. Demote the team that proposed this failed game. They did not do any market research.

They did have some interesting pay out options, which suggests they expected players to plop down $6 dollars on three lines like clockwork.  But i guess the game just couldn't compete with the Payout of Powerball at $2 bucks a line.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

You purchased one ticket per $2.00. You got one line either self pick or quick pick. the next two lines on the ticket you got automatic quick pick.

With 3 lines on each ticket each line cost $0.66

I played it and thought it was a nice game.

The top prize in the game 6 of 6 did not pay a lot compared to other lottos 6 of 6 prize.

lotterywinner13

This game is the biggest scam I have ever seen. The two additional lines you get are bunched together numbers. I bought three different tickets and I still did not have all of the numbers 1-38. People realized that this game was crap and simply stop playing it.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

So? What?.

LottoBoner

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Aug 25, 2013

You purchased one ticket per $2.00. You got one line either self pick or quick pick. the next two lines on the ticket you got automatic quick pick.

With 3 lines on each ticket each line cost $0.66

I played it and thought it was a nice game.

The top prize in the game 6 of 6 did not pay a lot compared to other lottos 6 of 6 prize.

Let me get this straight.

Could I do a four number fixed wheel in three lines and hope to win $1000,

or was it mandatory to receive the two quick pick lines?

What was the total ball  count?

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBoner on Aug 25, 2013

I guess they just didn't want to spend $2 bucks to win a grand prize of only 200K.

Idaho has Weekly Grand where they want you to pay $2 for a maximum prize of $52K.  They also have a 2nd chance for losing tickets where they draw a winner of $5,200 each month.  But that still isn't very good IMHO.  I'm surprised Idaho's is still going, but it's been around for several years now.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBoner on Aug 25, 2013

Let me get this straight.

Could I do a four number fixed wheel in three lines and hope to win $1000,

or was it mandatory to receive the two quick pick lines?

What was the total ball  count?

It was mandatory on the two quick pick lines per ticket.

Total ball count 38 in the game pool.

LottoBoner

I am not very fond of quick picks.

Sounds like typical God complex government intervention.

I ONLY HAVE A GOD COMPLEX FOR THE LOTTERY!!!!Blue Angel

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Send it to Oklahoma!!!!

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Kind of reminds me of the El Gordo lottery failure promotion a decade ago back here in Maryland. The Lottery folks thought the folks were going to plunk down $10 dollars a play, wrong. lol

ckrakowski

so instead of giving the game a try they decide to get rid of it. what a waste of money.

Lotto Geek's avatarLotto Geek

This is the real reason why they're getting rid of this game: it has a 74% payout rate. That's more than most scratch-offs. It's really a shame it's going away.

sookie's avatarsookie

I looked at this once and just wasn'interested.  I only play Mega Millions and Powerball really, once in a while I play Pick 4.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

SCLotto needs to reconstruct. I saw no machines to buy pb/mm tickets from, and they sell scratchers when top prizes are gone. Not a good way to attract players.

LottoBoner

So if you were going to do a say three power number wheel in three games, you would play three lines and always get 6 free quick picks no matter what?  A fixed condition of the game and not a temporary promotion?

That not so bad, I suppose.  Sometimes NY has a buy three get 5 free promotion.  Sometimes I play more when this happens.

Maybe people in South Carolina dont like free stuff?

Maybe there is still time to win it before its pulled?

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

What game is going to replace this Carolina Cash 6 game?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Aug 25, 2013

Idaho has Weekly Grand where they want you to pay $2 for a maximum prize of $52K.  They also have a 2nd chance for losing tickets where they draw a winner of $5,200 each month.  But that still isn't very good IMHO.  I'm surprised Idaho's is still going, but it's been around for several years now.

That's better than a sack o' taters!

Not by much though...

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 26, 2013

That's better than a sack o' taters!

Not by much though...

I dunno at least taters taste good.  Even with butter AND sour cream, losing lottery tickets are kinda bitter.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Lotto Geek on Aug 25, 2013

This is the real reason why they're getting rid of this game: it has a 74% payout rate. That's more than most scratch-offs. It's really a shame it's going away.

Well, I would assume they knew the payout of the game beforehand. Otherwise you would have to believe the press release about lackluster sales was a lie and they were unaware of the payout of the game? I don't buy that. Many scratch games are higher payout, and Keno is also in that range.

Sounds more like the incompetent marketing of the games. They have a Cash 6 game with 74% payout, and don't advertise that? Well, then I guess they'd have to also explain why the Cash 5 was only 45% payout. Why do they ripoff on one game and overpay on another. Does not give a warm fuzzy feeling.

Also, everyone knows about federal taxes, so why advertise the lowest after-tax amount of $200k, when the actual prize amount is $294,118 before taxes. Dumb, for marketing purposes. The "taxes paid" is something interesting to throw into the mix as a scratch game, but not as a draw game.

Maybe they should follow their northern neighbors and do rolling Cash 5 and should have been a rolling Cash 6 with pari-mutuel top prize.(without taxes paid) Or maybe doing the best marketing is not their goal and they don't like the lottery and want to sabotage it? That's a nice conspiracy theory.

jamella724

How unfortunate, they should study the market first before they launch this game. I wonder why they didn't make any revisions to address the concern of the players and satisfy them. Getting rid of the game will definitely cost them a lot.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story