NJ $338 million Powerball winner and ex-girlfriend in court over money

Nov 10, 2013, 9:10 am (83 comments)

Powerball

PATERSON, N.J. — If you expect part of a lottery winner's fortune because you've already shared a long personal and business relationship, always remember: Get it in writing.

That was the reluctant decision of a state judge Friday, who cited state law in refusing to freeze the assets of Pedro Quezada, the Clifton man who won the $338 million Powerball jackpot last spring, pending the outcome of a trial to determine if his former live-in girlfriend is entitled to a share of the winnings.

Ines Sanchez and Quezada lived together for 10 years and shared ownership of a grocery store in Passaic, according to attorneys. Sanchez is the mother of one of Quezada's children, while each also has children from other relationships

She moved out of the recently purchased Clifton home where they were living together last month, attorneys said, noting she has a domestic violence claim pending against Quezada. Quezada's lawyers declined to comment on that or any aspect of the case.

Quezada chose a lump sum payout of $211 million and received a check for $152 million after taxes, according to state lottery officials.

A large chunk of the money already is gone — $57 million has been sent to the Dominican Republic, $5 million was given away, $300,000 was spent on the home in Clifton and $20 million can't be located, according to attorney Michael De Marco of North Haledon, who is representing Sanchez.

"I think we're kidding ourselves to say we'll ever see any of that money again," De Marco told state Superior Court Chancery Judge Margaret Mary McVeigh in arguing that the court should temporarily freeze the assets.

The attorney argued that irreparable harm will be done if the judge didn't freeze all assets until the overall case is decided. "If he is permitted to continue this course of conduct, there will be nothing left to talk about," he said of the money.

"This was a man and a woman in a relationship akin to marriage for 10 years, who have a child in common and lived with other children from other relationships," De Marco said.

Faced more and more over the years with the unspoken contracts of unconventional partnerships, state court rulings often recognized the investment made by domestic unmarried couples and ways to compensate for it once the relationship ended. But in 2010, the New Jersey Legislature passed a measure weakening palimony case law and providing little legal recourse for domestic partners seeking financial compensation without having some sort of contract.

De Marco argued, however, that Sanchez and Quesada were not so much domestic partners as they were a "joint venture."

"We're not seeking 'palimony.' The parties had a relationship where they pooled their resources and paid their expenses," he said, noting they co-owned and ran the Passaic grocery store that provided their joint income that paid their bills.

"One of the things this couple did was play the lottery," he said. "They devoted themselves to a joint venture ... So now we have an exception because one of the expenses has a return of $152 million?"

Attorney Jonathan W. Wolfe of Livingston, representing Quezada, argued that the couple was never married and therefore she has no claim. "Mr. Quezada individually went and purchased that ticket. They had never agreed to share the proceeds," he said.

He noted that Sanchez went with Quezada to the lottery commission and watched him, alone, sign the claim to collect his winnings without any protestations. "If she believed she had no claim then, she can't come here saying this now," he said.

Now she's saying that Quezada essentially bought the lottery ticket with one of her dollars, Wolfe said, and that is not a substantial enough investment to qualify as a joint venture.

The judge questioned if that was really quite what Sanchez was asserting.

"If I accept that was a 'joint venture,' there is a division of responsibility, a sense of reliance, a fiduciary obligation that is not always articulated ...I look at this as the ticket that he was able to buy because she contributed by working at the store, which then gives him the freedom to go buy the ticket," McVeigh said.

But in the end, the judge said, she had no choice but to deny the request to freeze Quezada's assets pending full trial.

"As empathetic and compelling as your argument is — and as much as I consider 10 years a long-term relationship — I don't have that in writing to hang an opinion on that these assets need to be restrained," she said.

She added: "This is a unique situation. It's something that most people dream about — stepping into the bottom of the rainbow, into that pot of gold. Or did you think I was going to say something else?" McVeigh joked.

But the joke was bitter-sweet. "That's what money does to people: It changes positive relationships into bad ones. It doesn't always enhance a relationship, or bring out people's better qualities. Her [Sanchez's] life has been up-ended by this winning ticket...But I am a judge. I don't create the law. I have to follow it," she said.

"Our Legislature has spoken. It specifically said, 'For these types of arrangements, relationships, to be upheld there needs to be a writing. You cannot go forward with these types of relationships without something in writing."

The judge refused to dismiss the overall lawsuit itself claiming Sanchez should get a fair share of the winnings. She did, however, refuse to stay her decision pending an expedited seven-day appeal.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Bergen Record, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Jordi88

Drama at it's best. I hope and wish the best for him !!

Jon D's avatarJon D

"That's what money does to people: It changes positive relationships into bad ones. It doesn't always enhance a relationship, or bring out people's better qualities."

Well said, Judge!

rgrpark

Quote: "Ines Sanchez and Quezada lived together for 10 years and shared ownership of a grocery store in Passaic, according to attorneys. Sanchez is the mother of one of Quezada's children, while each also has children from other relationships."

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't call Ines just an "ex-girlfriend".

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

The lure of easy money, has a funny way,  of bringing out peoples true colors. Lawyers rejoice!!!

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Next, he'll be in court with the IRS questioning him where all this money has gone in this short period of time. Only $300,000 for a home? Yet he sends $57m to the DR, $5m gave away, and $20M cannot be found?

Very sketchy.

En ReVal

He still should have about $70 million left, where is that.  He must have bought houses for family members in the DR.

Lucky4Life's avatarLucky4Life

how do you misplace 20M?????????? Makes me SICK!!!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

if they both bought lotto and specifically if they ever shared a lotto win, even just $20, before then its pretty much done and dusted. 10 years of living together, and sharing costs?  he better hope that $20 mill hasnt really disappeared.

noise-gate

Miss Sanchez attorney is reaching.Just because one is in a relationship for 10 years does not mean you entitled to a piece of the pie if you do not have it in writing and after that fire has gone out. Depending on how young their child is, she is entitled to child support and that's it, sorry but those are the facts.
I think lou Rawls the singer had a similar situation, he broke off with his long term gf and she took him to court claiming that he said he would take care of her " for life- no matter what". The Judge tossed the case.
If she somehow gets half or a third, this opens up a whole new section of the law where we could possibly see people claiming compensation for relationships going back decades.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Shocking News Eek

Greg2117's avatarGreg2117

$82.3 million already gone in just a few months. I'm betting he will be broke by next summer.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Nov 10, 2013

Next, he'll be in court with the IRS questioning him where all this money has gone in this short period of time. Only $300,000 for a home? Yet he sends $57m to the DR, $5m gave away, and $20M cannot be found?

Very sketchy.

The IRS got their portion before he got his my dear,  they going to want their 2nd bite at the apple come next year.He had better have that onhand.
" $20 million can't be found"-  right.  He knows exactly where it is. If one knows where their car keys are for the most part after misplacing them, there is no way you don't know where you misplaced any sort of serious cash, particular- millions.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Greg2117 on Nov 10, 2013

$82.3 million already gone in just a few months. I'm betting he will be broke by next summer.

I Agree!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Pedro...Pedro....I think if you look at the old posts when he won, a number of LP'ers predicted he was going to blow his money because he seemed to like the limelight too much. If you need that money to make you feel important and to say "Hey look at me", that money $ is going to disappear soon.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 10, 2013

Miss Sanchez attorney is reaching.Just because one is in a relationship for 10 years does not mean you entitled to a piece of the pie if you do not have it in writing and after that fire has gone out. Depending on how young their child is, she is entitled to child support and that's it, sorry but those are the facts.
I think lou Rawls the singer had a similar situation, he broke off with his long term gf and she took him to court claiming that he said he would take care of her " for life- no matter what". The Judge tossed the case.
If she somehow gets half or a third, this opens up a whole new section of the law where we could possibly see people claiming compensation for relationships going back decades.

i think the pertinent matter is  " where they together living in a shared relations, when the ticket was bought? " as far as im concerned ; which has no standing in  court, they could be apart a week a day or a month. if they broke up, and then the ticket was bought its so long sucker. my way would also  foil the   breaking up trick , and then waiting a  year to claim a prize, to avoid sharing.

tony869

A large chunk of the money already is gone — $57 million has been sent to the Dominican Republic, $5 million was given away, $300,000 was spent on the home in Clifton and $20 million can't be located, according to attorney Michael De Marco of North Haledon, who is representing Sanchez.

I knew he was an idiot for doing that when he won that jackpot and giving money away in the begining.. Come on $57 million gone in a instant like that also $20 milion... 

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

If Pedro is not careful he will wind up dead.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

It would be nice of him to share.  10 years is a long time.  :)

Don't forget $57 m buys lots of real estate in that country. Thats most likely what he did. I pray. :)

tony869

This is why if i ever win a big jackpot i will get the 30 year payout and that is safe fall back and get more money...

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Wow drama drama drama Lurking

loonasee2's avatarloonasee2

i wanta be this guy's banker ,lol I'll only misplace a couple mill ,..and I won't spend it like wild fire .

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

Ines Sanchez said Quezada bought the lottery ticket with one of her dollars. My question is " Why didn't Ines sign that lottery ticket also? " If I were that judge in that lottery case, I would have asked that question.And  If I were that judge in that lottery case, I would rule in favor of the defendant Pedro Quezada. All that Pedro Quezada and Ines Sanchez had was a business relationship, that's all, period.

SLOYAROLE

This has to stop. Unless they were married, she's not entitled to a cent (outside of child support). Men, why get married if 10 years is all it takes?

Shacking-Up is not a MARRIAGE and should not be treated as such. Sorry Ms. Sanchez, but you didn't co-sign that ticket. If you couldn't get the guy to marry you during a 10 year relationship, what made you think he'd settle-down after hitting it big?

Pedro is planning to move back to the Dominican Republic. Gotta be a fool if you think he'll send 57m there without a motive and another $20M that can't be located. Kinda slick, but not slick enough. It will all catch up with him in the end.

Too bad. I liked Pedro @ first, mainly because everyone was wishing the worst for him and I always cheer for the underdog..lol

SLOYAROLE

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Nov 10, 2013

Ines Sanchez said Quezada bought the lottery ticket with one of her dollars. My question is " Why didn't Ines sign that lottery ticket also? " If I were that judge in that lottery case, I would have asked that question.And  If I were that judge in that lottery case, I would rule in favor of the defendant Pedro Quezada. All that Pedro Quezada and Ines Sanchez had was a business relationship, that's all, period.

Yep. This lady was as ill-prepaired to win as Pedro. If it were her dollar he used to purchase the ticket, she was <snip> foolish not to have co-signed it. Even the state agrees that she's not entitled to anything. The judge is doing her a HUGE favor by allowing the trial to even move forward.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

The IRS got their portion before he got his my dear,  they going to want their 2nd bite at the apple come next year.He had better have that onhand.
" $20 million can't be found"-  right.  He knows exactly where it is. If one knows where their car keys are for the most part after misplacing them, there is no way you don't know where you misplaced any sort of serious cash, particular- millions.

Umm..... He gave away $5m and I'm sure there's a gift tax the IRS will be interested in getting their hands on... Plus the $20m that disappeared...lol love that one....who loses $20m without knowing where it went??? Plus any taxes on interest and the rest of the taxes he won that prob hasn't been paid for next year.

He will be in court with the IRS, that will be the next topic on lottery post.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Pedro is planning to move back to the Dominican Republic. Gotta be a fool if you think he'll send 57m there without a motive and another $20M that can't be located. Kinda slick, but not slick enough. It will all catch up with him in the end.

Too bad. I liked Pedro @ first, mainly because everyone was wishing the worst for him and I always cheer for the underdog..lol

Right, there is a motive. Banks in the DR  pay around 7% interest on deposits. It use to be 20%. The Dominicons i work with send money back all the time. Smart move by Pedro.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

This should be interesting...Jersey does'nt recognize common law marriage

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Moral of this story , both needs an agreement on paper and

they both need to sign the back of it ....

$57 million has been sent to the Dominican Republic, $5 million was given away, $300,000 was spent on the home in Clifton and $20 million can't be located, according to attorney Michael De Marco of North Haledon, who is representing Sanchez.

something doesnt add up .

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

ROTFLOL!

Thud

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I have a confession to make.  I am Pedro's new girlfriend and i have ALL the missing money.

tomlarson2009's avatartomlarson2009

Just watched again the press conference on youtube - the lady who introduced Pedro at the beginning said "Let me introduce Pedro Q and his wife Ines", so I thought he was married, but as we see now it changes everything for both parties.

noise-gate

How does Sanchez attorney know of how much has gone to the Dominican republic, charities & missing millions?
Could it be that Pedro & Ines discussed what went where and why? Is it possible that there was a falling out over this reckless spending? - just wondering.
I can't shake the idea that her attorney seems to know so much about the money, how did he come by this information?
I seriously doubt Pedro would offer that information to Sanchez attorney.

hit tonite's avatarhit tonite

As they say, you don't pay em to stay, you pay them to leave!!! Hahaha, hummm, to live with someone 10 YEARS???  Men always come up short with live in girlfriends, it's never 50/50 - NEVER!!!  wonder how much of the earnings from the store she got, if Pedro handled all money situations, before the win??? Ladies, you always need to know about money coming in MILLIONS GOING OUT???  Had Inez won, Pedro gets Half! And control of the rest!  She watched him spend and send Millions outta da household?  And no folding money of her own? She will get child support, no doubt, this case is complicated, $20 Million missing? Yea right!  Interview store employees, will give insight of his money character....take care of family first, it's a mess!  Hope he does right by Inez, no telling what she's been through!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by hit tonite on Nov 11, 2013

As they say, you don't pay em to stay, you pay them to leave!!! Hahaha, hummm, to live with someone 10 YEARS???  Men always come up short with live in girlfriends, it's never 50/50 - NEVER!!!  wonder how much of the earnings from the store she got, if Pedro handled all money situations, before the win??? Ladies, you always need to know about money coming in MILLIONS GOING OUT???  Had Inez won, Pedro gets Half! And control of the rest!  She watched him spend and send Millions outta da household?  And no folding money of her own? She will get child support, no doubt, this case is complicated, $20 Million missing? Yea right!  Interview store employees, will give insight of his money character....take care of family first, it's a mess!  Hope he does right by Inez, no telling what she's been through!

You make valid points here HT- that is why shacking up is a bad idea especially in situations like these. He could very easily cut her a cheque for $20 million and walk away.Its quite possible that he did offer her a deal which she refused to accept, hence her lawyering up.
  Had State laws gone along with common law " marriage" rights she would be entitled to a share, but as it stands- State law prevents her from having a leg to stand on.like you said, he should do right by her, write a cheque and say your goodbyes.

billionaire2bee

LOL shacking up...yeah its a bad idea, but how many of us have done it, and all you holier than thous no preachin please...but Miss Inez coulda married ole Pedro years ago, and if she didnt maybe he didnt want to, but she stayed there anyways, now he hit the jackpot and she's thinking she's entitled to something....yeah the grocery store I'd give her that and move the h--- on...20 million just vanished yeah Im sure Pedro knows where it just "vanished" to, and could lay his hands on it when he wants to.....

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

$57 million to the Dominican Republic? Sounds like Pedro just bought his own country!

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Nov 10, 2013

Wow drama drama drama Lurking

Yep Lurking

Lesson for those shacking up who say that paper doesn't mean anything ... make it official. I know more than one shacked up couple that would run in the opposite direction should they land a windfall like this. Sad.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Nov 10, 2013

I have a confession to make.  I am Pedro's new girlfriend and i have ALL the missing money.

Jester LaughLOL

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

Get it writing, good decision by the Judge, case closed!!!Smash

DC81's avatarDC81

I'm shocked! Not really...

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

It is necessary to be VERY slow and careful when choosing who to live with and who to have business partnerships with.  Some people don't want to, or simply CAN'T, get married or earn gross 6-figure+ income or whatever issue.  Don't beat them up, instead simply head in an opposite direction alone.  Being alone is often a good option.

Find out what your desires are BEFORE meeting people, so you can avoid deepening relationships which aren't congruent.  Your needs and desires are important!  Anyone who says "Let's wait and see ..." probably doesn't think their own needs or your needs are important.  Spooky lifestyle.

White Bounce

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I just can't believe that pedro didn't set up some sort of funds for his kids with all that money he had in the beginning.  Sad situation they are in.-weshar75

US Flag

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Umm..... He gave away $5m and I'm sure there's a gift tax the IRS will be interested in getting their hands on... Plus the $20m that disappeared...lol love that one....who loses $20m without knowing where it went??? Plus any taxes on interest and the rest of the taxes he won that prob hasn't been paid for next year.

He will be in court with the IRS, that will be the next topic on lottery post.

He can give $5 million away without having to pay any gift tax on it. Which is probably why he stopped at $5 million and didn't give away more than that. So he obviously knew enough to do that. And just because HER lawyers don't know where $20 million went, doesn't mean he lost it. That's her real issue, he's hiding some funds and transferring some outside of the country, she's afraid he'll put all the money where she can't get to it. He's being smarter (more devious) than people are giving him credit for.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Nov 11, 2013

Yep Lurking

Lesson for those shacking up who say that paper doesn't mean anything ... make it official. I know more than one shacked up couple that would run in the opposite direction should they land a windfall like this. Sad.

Totally agree. Together for 10 years, have a kid together, have a business together, why not just get married? But since they didn't, then she should have signed the ticket with him or gotten a contract drawn up. I never heard about a couple winning this JP; when news broke it was all about him, he bought the ticket, he had won it solely, there was no mention of her being a co-winner. I feel sorry for her but I think she's only entitled to get what he feels like giving her. I'm sure she'll get a whole lot from child support now. So she'll land on her feet no matter what.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 11, 2013

How does Sanchez attorney know of how much has gone to the Dominican republic, charities & missing millions?
Could it be that Pedro & Ines discussed what went where and why? Is it possible that there was a falling out over this reckless spending? - just wondering.
I can't shake the idea that her attorney seems to know so much about the money, how did he come by this information?
I seriously doubt Pedro would offer that information to Sanchez attorney.

That's what forensic accountants are for. He didn't have to tell her anything for her to find out about it. I think if they had been that open about what money went where, she'd know where that $20m is. I'm not saying they didn't discuss it, I'm saying they didn't have to for her to find out that information. I think hiring a forensic accountant is one of the first things her lawyer would have done. If she wants a significan't amount of money, they need to know where it is and how much is left.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Nov 11, 2013

That's what forensic accountants are for. He didn't have to tell her anything for her to find out about it. I think if they had been that open about what money went where, she'd know where that $20m is. I'm not saying they didn't discuss it, I'm saying they didn't have to for her to find out that information. I think hiring a forensic accountant is one of the first things her lawyer would have done. If she wants a significan't amount of money, they need to know where it is and how much is left.

Doesn't matter what she knows if she can't prove she's entitled to it, she won't get a cent.  It's not like she was married to him and is now getting a divorce and splitting up community property.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

What a shame that it has come down to this.

I remember thinking that his wife/girlfriend was good looking and that they were a good looking couple. Now fighting over money. Now look at the lengths Pedro will go to to hide the money from her.

I'm sure he offered her more money than she's ever seen but she and her lawyers are greedy and are trying to take him for millions. Greedy mothers.

The lawyers are coming! Run Pedro, Run!!!

the lawyers are coming

RedStang's avatarRedStang

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Nov 11, 2013

Teddi- l am familiar with the term Forensic accounting, however that should not have been employed in this case because that works in " spousal divorces " these two were not married unless Pedro had her in on all financial proceedings including this jackpot.
Lots of lies going on between these two.

SLOYAROLE

The problem isn't that they shacked-up for 10 years (who hasn't, really). It's that, she doesn't understand that she should have signed the darn ticket. Her lawyers are really reaching, here. It's not like he held the ticket, ditched her, waited a while, then cashed in after the dust settled. She failed to secure her portion by co-signing. Fail. Case dismissed. It's a <snip> shame that people are willing to waste money on lawyers rather than sit down and come to an agreement. Sooooooooooo much money could be kept "in-house" rather than funding some lawyers bank account.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

sully16's avatarsully16

Yikes.

TNPATL

This guy is going to be the next lottery casulty story!!!  Geesh.  I mean he is going to be B-R-O-K-E real soon.

Seattlejohn

"A large chunk of the money already is gone — $57 million has been sent to the Dominican Republic, $5 million was given away, $300,000 was spent on the home in Clifton and $20 million can't be located"

$57 million was sent to the Dominican Republic?  Who was it sent to?  Also, $20 million can't be located?  Who's doing the forensic accounting there, the 3 stooges?

LottoBoner

When I first read this story, mostly two words came to mind.

FU#!*NG RETARDS!!!!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 12, 2013

Teddi- l am familiar with the term Forensic accounting, however that should not have been employed in this case because that works in " spousal divorces " these two were not married unless Pedro had her in on all financial proceedings including this jackpot.
Lots of lies going on between these two.

Forensic accountants are used whenever one party wants to find the total assets of another party. Doesn't have to be spouses and doesn't have to be divorce related. She doesn't need to be a spouse or even an ex-spouse. She wants his money. She's going to try to prove she's entitled to a share of his money, her side of the aisle will do their level best to determine how much she can conceivably get, and they're going to want to know where it all is. That's simply due diligence on her lawyer's part.  Seems pointless to me since I personally don't think she is entitled to a penny, but she can use those findings to significantly up her child support payments later on. I'm sure that will be the first thing she will do once she loses this case.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Very sketchy.

The IRS does not care how you spend your money as long as you pay appropriate initial tax and any applicable gift tax for amounts over the limit.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

PartyHurray!PartyHyperPartyArguePartyHit With Stick Banana0!0 ^^

GOD bless SEX >>N>>AMERICA>USA!!

Hurray!>Banana>Big Grin SantaHyper>D>people luv D lottery>Hurray!Drum

DanceJack-in-the-BoxDance

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Nov 12, 2013

The IRS does not care how you spend your money as long as you pay appropriate initial tax and any applicable gift tax for amounts over the limit.

$20 million missing??? I'm pretty sure the IRS will wants it share whether it's missing or not. And I doubt he paid all taxes on the $20 million $5million and the $57M sent to DR. Or perhaps he did and that's why he blew through a large portion of his money so soon. Who knows??? I'll just kick back and wait for the next story, I know there will be more to come soon.

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

Have been watching this Pedro of a guy and with my best opinion l think he should be in the tv show the Biggest losser instead. First of all with all that money if you can't make the woman closest to you happy after you won then maybe you lucky she didn't use cyanide like the other lady did to her husband . Am not trying to be mean to pedro just that he was a deadbeat dad b4 he won money which i can understand because money is hard to come by but a dead beat to your woman now that you got the money .Oh well a deadbeat always a deadbeat .looks like a deadbeat ,smiles like a deadbeat, always a deadbeat ,until police put out another arrest warrant always waiting for the last moment to pay up oh well Pedro pls grow up. its just that she doesn't seem like a crazy b..ch and she was very patient with you to even sign and collect the money. Hiding your money everywhere especially a third world country like dominican republic maybe somebody is there already smoking some fine weeds with your money calling you typical crazy yankee. At least make one woman happy the one closest to you no matter what she wants give it to her. The best thing you should have done the day you went on tv was say horny would you marry me and she will say yes off course. Then and then put half the money in your account and half in her account case closed thats how to be a real man because even if you get rid of her you will get a more crazy b..ch anyway expecially when everybody know you have money now . Maybe after you loss all your half in dominican republic maybe her half will keep you afloat she help keep you afloat for ten years and now you have the money and you are about to run like all deadbeat do . You remind me of the Blues brothers just remember the Blues brothers ended up in jail and i see you singing and entertaining inmates like that in near future because so far it seems like a messed up road and messed up road is not easy to ride on.So i hope you can sing and dance like the Blues brothers especially the fat one lol. Bash

jusfue

Can anybody help me out with lottery

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by jusfue on Nov 12, 2013

Can anybody help me out with lottery

Just go to the forum that's about the type of games you like to play and you can read what others are doing to try and win.  Be prepared to lose some money. Good luck to you.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Nov 12, 2013

$20 million missing??? I'm pretty sure the IRS will wants it share whether it's missing or not. And I doubt he paid all taxes on the $20 million $5million and the $57M sent to DR. Or perhaps he did and that's why he blew through a large portion of his money so soon. Who knows??? I'll just kick back and wait for the next story, I know there will be more to come soon.

It's not missing, SHE can't find it. And she shouldn't. It isn't hers. Glad he was smart enough to stash some cash somewhere where others can't get to it. I've always said I'd take a chunk and hide it somewhere off the radar. The rest can be invested, spent, given away, whatever. But there will always be a stash somewhere that no one will know about and only I could get to it. Maybe he did a Walter White and dug a hole in the desert. It's only missing to her, not to him. 

The IRS took their 25% off the bat. Before he saw a dime. He only has to pay the other 14.9% and he has more than enough left to cover that, regardless of where he hides or transfers the rest of it. That's his business. Not the IRS and not Ines.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Pedro Quezada will win the Powerball Jackpot again with a $2 Powerball Quick Pick Ticket. Good Luck Pedro.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Nov 12, 2013

Please note that the emphasis is on "the IRS does not care how you SPEND..."  They do not care how you INVEST your money, but they do care that you pay your taxes on any dividends and capital gains.  When you file your income tax return, they do not request you give a bank ledger accounting of how you spent that income...but if you gave away gifts of cash that exceed the annual per person limit, you will need to pay gift tax.  If he merely transferred his cash to the DR and then relinquishes his US citizenship, he will not have to worry about the IRS. But if he invests his money in the DR and achieves a return on that investment, the IRS will be expecting their portion of taxes. Perhaps this is oversimplifying the issue and one should definitely consult with a tax attorney / tax accountant to ensure all bases are covered.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Nov 12, 2013

Forensic accountants are used whenever one party wants to find the total assets of another party. Doesn't have to be spouses and doesn't have to be divorce related. She doesn't need to be a spouse or even an ex-spouse. She wants his money. She's going to try to prove she's entitled to a share of his money, her side of the aisle will do their level best to determine how much she can conceivably get, and they're going to want to know where it all is. That's simply due diligence on her lawyer's part.  Seems pointless to me since I personally don't think she is entitled to a penny, but she can use those findings to significantly up her child support payments later on. I'm sure that will be the first thing she will do once she loses this case.

Forensic accountants can be useful for figuring out how much somebody has spent when there's not a clear paper trail, or if they're concealing income. If these two were trying to work out a divorce settlement and a forensic accountant could establish that he had spent a few million on a mistress or had a few milllion in income he didn't tell her about it could help her get a bigger settlement.

For their situation there's probably no reason to use a forensic accountant. It's only been a year since he won, and he hasn't been cooking the books to conceal income or spending from a wife who's clearly entitled to a share of the marital assets. First she needs to establish that she's entitled to something, and then she needs to find out where the money is if he isn't cooperative about paying whatever settlement might be reached. That's why her attorney's first order of business was attempting to have the assets frozen. If he's uncooperative about paying a settlement, you can be sure that her lawyers will assume the money is simply hidden, not gone. They'll go looking for it, but it won't be a forensic accountant that's useful for finding it.

"He only has to pay the other 14.9%"

He also has to pay the balance of the NJ income tax on it. I think NJ withholding is only about 3%, so his remaining tax bill is probably a bit over 20%. Of course he's a lot less likely to try and hide that from the IRS than he is to try and hide money from the ex.

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Nov 13, 2013

Please note that the emphasis is on "the IRS does not care how you SPEND..."  They do not care how you INVEST your money, but they do care that you pay your taxes on any dividends and capital gains.  When you file your income tax return, they do not request you give a bank ledger accounting of how you spent that income...but if you gave away gifts of cash that exceed the annual per person limit, you will need to pay gift tax.  If he merely transferred his cash to the DR and then relinquishes his US citizenship, he will not have to worry about the IRS. But if he invests his money in the DR and achieves a return on that investment, the IRS will be expecting their portion of taxes. Perhaps this is oversimplifying the issue and one should definitely consult with a tax attorney / tax accountant to ensure all bases are covered.

"If he merely transferred his cash to the DR and then relinquishes his US citizenship, he will not have to worry about the IRS."

No matter what he does, he doesn't have to worry about the IRS if he pays his taxes. Even if he renounces his US citizenship he can expect to continue paying US income taxes for another 10 years. That he returned to his native land may help, but after clearing at least $50 million (assuming he loses 1/2 of the after-tax net to the ex), it's going to be very hard to convince authorities that he renounced his citizenship for reasons other than the taxes on future earnings.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Nov 14, 2013

Forensic accountants can be useful for figuring out how much somebody has spent when there's not a clear paper trail, or if they're concealing income. If these two were trying to work out a divorce settlement and a forensic accountant could establish that he had spent a few million on a mistress or had a few milllion in income he didn't tell her about it could help her get a bigger settlement.

For their situation there's probably no reason to use a forensic accountant. It's only been a year since he won, and he hasn't been cooking the books to conceal income or spending from a wife who's clearly entitled to a share of the marital assets. First she needs to establish that she's entitled to something, and then she needs to find out where the money is if he isn't cooperative about paying whatever settlement might be reached. That's why her attorney's first order of business was attempting to have the assets frozen. If he's uncooperative about paying a settlement, you can be sure that her lawyers will assume the money is simply hidden, not gone. They'll go looking for it, but it won't be a forensic accountant that's useful for finding it.

"He only has to pay the other 14.9%"

He also has to pay the balance of the NJ income tax on it. I think NJ withholding is only about 3%, so his remaining tax bill is probably a bit over 20%. Of course he's a lot less likely to try and hide that from the IRS than he is to try and hide money from the ex.

Let's try this again. Her point is that they had a business as well as long term personal relationship where they split everything like a married couple. whether or not her claim is valid (I say it isn't) it's still her claim, and her contention is that she is entitled to a significant chunk of that $$. 

If she feels that money is at least partly hers, she's going to want to know where it is so she can go after it. She isn't going to simply take his word about where it went or what is left. Hence the forensic accountant. It doesn't matter what their situation actually is, it's about what she THINKS it is. She doesn't need to be able to prove anything to track down the money, proving only has to come into into play once she tries to claim it. 

Who cares if the taxes are are an extra 3% when state is tacked on. 3, 5 or 8 percent, he still has enough left to cover the tax bill, and that's the point. I see nothing saying that he's broke. Simply that he's been shuffling his money around, which is his prerogative to do.

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Nov 14, 2013

Let's try this again. Her point is that they had a business as well as long term personal relationship where they split everything like a married couple. whether or not her claim is valid (I say it isn't) it's still her claim, and her contention is that she is entitled to a significant chunk of that $$. 

If she feels that money is at least partly hers, she's going to want to know where it is so she can go after it. She isn't going to simply take his word about where it went or what is left. Hence the forensic accountant. It doesn't matter what their situation actually is, it's about what she THINKS it is. She doesn't need to be able to prove anything to track down the money, proving only has to come into into play once she tries to claim it. 

Who cares if the taxes are are an extra 3% when state is tacked on. 3, 5 or 8 percent, he still has enough left to cover the tax bill, and that's the point. I see nothing saying that he's broke. Simply that he's been shuffling his money around, which is his prerogative to do.

If she's entitled to any of the money she may need to locate it, but that's not a job for an accountant. What exactly do you think an accountant is going to do for her? What is it about his expenditures that will matter?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Nov 12, 2013

Have been watching this Pedro of a guy and with my best opinion l think he should be in the tv show the Biggest losser instead. First of all with all that money if you can't make the woman closest to you happy after you won then maybe you lucky she didn't use cyanide like the other lady did to her husband . Am not trying to be mean to pedro just that he was a deadbeat dad b4 he won money which i can understand because money is hard to come by but a dead beat to your woman now that you got the money .Oh well a deadbeat always a deadbeat .looks like a deadbeat ,smiles like a deadbeat, always a deadbeat ,until police put out another arrest warrant always waiting for the last moment to pay up oh well Pedro pls grow up. its just that she doesn't seem like a crazy b..ch and she was very patient with you to even sign and collect the money. Hiding your money everywhere especially a third world country like dominican republic maybe somebody is there already smoking some fine weeds with your money calling you typical crazy yankee. At least make one woman happy the one closest to you no matter what she wants give it to her. The best thing you should have done the day you went on tv was say horny would you marry me and she will say yes off course. Then and then put half the money in your account and half in her account case closed thats how to be a real man because even if you get rid of her you will get a more crazy b..ch anyway expecially when everybody know you have money now . Maybe after you loss all your half in dominican republic maybe her half will keep you afloat she help keep you afloat for ten years and now you have the money and you are about to run like all deadbeat do . You remind me of the Blues brothers just remember the Blues brothers ended up in jail and i see you singing and entertaining inmates like that in near future because so far it seems like a messed up road and messed up road is not easy to ride on.So i hope you can sing and dance like the Blues brothers especially the fat one lol. Bash

" l think he should be in the tv show the Biggest losser..."

I think he should be on The Biggest Looser.

Even as a protagonist on "The Biggest Loser" here in the USA, with $57M in the DR, he will be known as, His Royal Highness Pedro Quezada Hat Drum.

Not really I can be his royal highness too in dominican republic with only $10 and I can even make a woman happy with only $5 it is a cheap place. Pedro can't even satisfy his girlfriend both in and out of bedroom with $57m that's why he sucks. Lol

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Nov 17, 2013

Even as a protagonist on "The Biggest Loser" here in the USA, with $57M in the DR, he will be known as, His Royal Highness Pedro Quezada Hat Drum.

By the tme he gets done wth the new jersey justice mess his royal highness is about to get a fine royal haircut.Shocked

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

He bought a $300K house?  $590M Powerball Winner Gloria MacKenzie Bought a $1.175 Million Home. The house is located in a gated golf course community.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3619609/

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Nov 17, 2013

Not really I can be his royal highness too in dominican republic with only $10 and I can even make a woman happy with only $5 it is a cheap place. Pedro can't even satisfy his girlfriend both in and out of bedroom with $57m that's why he sucks. Lol

Green laughMan.....you are killing me.

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Nov 17, 2013

By the tme he gets done wth the new jersey justice mess his royal highness is about to get a fine royal haircut.Shocked

Green laughIt appears like you know Pedro very well.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Nov 15, 2013

If she's entitled to any of the money she may need to locate it, but that's not a job for an accountant. What exactly do you think an accountant is going to do for her? What is it about his expenditures that will matter?

OMG, you've got serious issues, the first one being you don't know what you're talking about. That's exactly the job of a forensic accountant. Duh. That's what they get paid to do. Track down assets. It isn't their job to detrmine if she entitled to anything or not (that's for lawyers and judges). Which part of that is so difficult to understand? It's as if you have no clue who does what job and yet you insist on arguing and belaboring the point.

What do you mean what is the accountant going to do for her? If a PI gets hired to track down a wife that left her husband, all the PI is going to do is find the woman, he dosn't get involved in bringing her back or reconciling a relationship. That's not his job. His job is to locate, that's what he gets paid to do. Unless a forensic accountant is working for the IRS, his only job is tracking and locating, not retrieving. That's what they get paid for. How can a concept so simple be so hard for you to get?

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Nov 20, 2013

Green laughIt appears like you know Pedro very well.

Well i don't know him well but i can read him well like an open book. You see this smart pedro of a guy has been secretly using loss change from his business with his ex baby mama to gamble. She knows money has been short everyday but smart pedro always has his funny smile no problem baby my maths is just bad that's why we short on our register. Now pedro wins big with that money and now he is back to his old pedro tricks again he already use to the drill of hiding money from his baby mama so all his lottery money is now in hiding nothing new about all of this just old pedro doing what pedro knows best so i read this guy very very good and he doesn't have much hair to be cut now so they may have to shave is head bald to be able to scrap out some money from him .He will try to sit is f..t  a.... on the money and would not want to pay a dime just like oj . it is not if he is guilty or not but he will try not to pay even when the court tells him to . If you noticed he went to lottery office to cash it very quickly after win with a plan to run doesn't even want her to think properly he said at news conference i will buy her anything she wants he never said he would share he is playing his chess game good the only problem is messing with new jersey justice system they will find lots of money oneway or the other this guy is just to f...t to be able to hide anything anyway. lol Rudolph

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Ines Sanchez and Quezada lived together for 10 years and shared ownership of a grocery store in Passaic, according to attorneys.

OK, they have a child together, if I were her I'd ask for child support and full ownership of

the grocery store. He won so he doesn't have to work anymore but if I were her I take that

store for myself and keep working.

He might end up spending it all but she can still have the store.

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Nov 21, 2013

Well i don't know him well but i can read him well like an open book. You see this smart pedro of a guy has been secretly using loss change from his business with his ex baby mama to gamble. She knows money has been short everyday but smart pedro always has his funny smile no problem baby my maths is just bad that's why we short on our register. Now pedro wins big with that money and now he is back to his old pedro tricks again he already use to the drill of hiding money from his baby mama so all his lottery money is now in hiding nothing new about all of this just old pedro doing what pedro knows best so i read this guy very very good and he doesn't have much hair to be cut now so they may have to shave is head bald to be able to scrap out some money from him .He will try to sit is f..t  a.... on the money and would not want to pay a dime just like oj . it is not if he is guilty or not but he will try not to pay even when the court tells him to . If you noticed he went to lottery office to cash it very quickly after win with a plan to run doesn't even want her to think properly he said at news conference i will buy her anything she wants he never said he would share he is playing his chess game good the only problem is messing with new jersey justice system they will find lots of money oneway or the other this guy is just to f...t to be able to hide anything anyway. lol Rudolph

Pedro probably has plans to run back to the DR. He should give the store and a few millions to his "baby mama", and a few millions in a trust for his kid. He should also get a very good lawyer{he can afford one}, to help prevent the NJ justice system, from scalping him. If he is not careful, and gets a crappy lawyer because he want's to save money, the NJ justice system, might end up, trying to cut his balls off, before he moves to the DR. Do the right thing Pedro, you have more than enough money, to be very comfortable all your life. Remember the promises you made, in the heat of passion, when you were getting it on with her.Banana

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Nov 21, 2013

OMG, you've got serious issues, the first one being you don't know what you're talking about. That's exactly the job of a forensic accountant. Duh. That's what they get paid to do. Track down assets. It isn't their job to detrmine if she entitled to anything or not (that's for lawyers and judges). Which part of that is so difficult to understand? It's as if you have no clue who does what job and yet you insist on arguing and belaboring the point.

What do you mean what is the accountant going to do for her? If a PI gets hired to track down a wife that left her husband, all the PI is going to do is find the woman, he dosn't get involved in bringing her back or reconciling a relationship. That's not his job. His job is to locate, that's what he gets paid to do. Unless a forensic accountant is working for the IRS, his only job is tracking and locating, not retrieving. That's what they get paid for. How can a concept so simple be so hard for you to get?

You're too stupid to know how ignorant you are and probably don't even know what forensic actually means. Accountants, forensic and otherwise, track expenditures and make sure that all of the math makes sense. Forensic accounting is generally used to determine if somebody is trying to conceal income or how and where they've spent the money; it has nothing to do with where tthe money is kept, other than finding evidence that unreported income has been concealed.

None of Pedro's finances matter until this woman can prove that she's entitled to something.  If she proves that she's entitled to something it still won't matter what he spent the money on, unless she wants to argue that he concealed income  that she's entitled to or spent joint assets in a manner that defrauded her. If she wins a settlement and he's uncooperative she might need to find out where the money is. If he took cash out of the bank and put it someplace a forensic accountant won't have anything to work with. Assuming he transferred money by more sensible means any investigator can follow the paper trail in search of where he put the money.

But you're right about it being a simple concept.

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Nov 25, 2013

Pedro probably has plans to run back to the DR. He should give the store and a few millions to his "baby mama", and a few millions in a trust for his kid. He should also get a very good lawyer{he can afford one}, to help prevent the NJ justice system, from scalping him. If he is not careful, and gets a crappy lawyer because he want's to save money, the NJ justice system, might end up, trying to cut his balls off, before he moves to the DR. Do the right thing Pedro, you have more than enough money, to be very comfortable all your life. Remember the promises you made, in the heat of passion, when you were getting it on with her.Banana

Agree too Cheers

Pedro is probably eating the best turkey money can buy instead of eating some deadbeat salami.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story