Canadian lottery winner donates $40 million jackpot to charity

Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 am (54 comments)

Canada Lotto Max

Includes audio report

Unlike most big lottery winners who spend days, or even months, trying to figure out how they'll spend their newfound riches, Tom Crist needed only a moment to decide where his $40 million in winnings would go: all to charity. Top on the list would be the medical center that cared for his late wife when she developed cancer.

Still, it took Crist more than six months to tell anybody — including family members — he'd won. The retired Calgary executive had been lunching between rounds of golf in Palm Springs when his cell phone rang and he was told the news.

"I was speechless," Crist, 64, said in a recorded interview with Canadian public radio station CBC. "I really didn't know what to say."

Crist hung up the phone, finished lunch and went back to golf.

"I knew where the money was going to go as soon as I got that call," he told the CBC. "I just didn't want the media, the press, all that kind of stuff. So I just kept putting it off and putting it off, and putting it off."

Finally at the behest of the Western Canada Lottery Corp., he agreed to go public and have his photo taken. The fine print on the lottery subscription he'd bought had demanded as much.

The shy and retiring senior showed up for his win photo in dark glasses and a baseball cap.

"They asked, 'Is that your natural look?'" Crist told the CBC. "I said, yep. That's all you're getting. You're not getting a smile, nothing."

The former CEO of EECOL Electric said he didn't need the money for himself or his family.

"I guess I've been fortunate enough through my career, you know, that I had, with the company that I was with, to be fortunate enough to have a good living and be able to remain to have a good living and look after my kids," he told Reuters. "So, I don't really need the money."

His plan was to donate his winnings in honor of his wife Jan, who died in February of 2012 after a long battle with lung cancer.

"It's very, very, very important," he told the CBC, his voice starting to crack. "Because, you know, we lost a wife, a mom and a grandma. She beat it for a while, six years, and it finally caught up with her."

All of which made it supremely important for Crist to donate to cancer treatment and research. "Cancer is dear to my heart because of what happened to her," he told the CBC. "This just gives me the opportunity to give back."

Crist delivered his first big check — $1.2 million — on Tuesday to the Alberta Cancer Foundation, which collects donations for Calgary's Tom Baker Cancer Centre, where Jan had been treated.

He strode into the ACF office, check in hand, without any prior warning, Phoebe Dey, a spokesperson for the foundation told NBC News.

"He surprised us," Dey said. "He said that this is phase one of his gifts and that his intention with us was to make an annual gift. He stressed that this was just the beginning and that he intended to give away all $40 million."

Crist's son, Dallas, told Global News Calgary that he only learned about the $40 million when his wife called after having seen a news report.

"You gotta tell a secret, that's the one guy you tell a secret to," Dallas told Global Calgary. "We had no idea. He didn't change one bit. We had no clue. He is the most secretive man on the planet."

"He'd do anything for anybody," Dallas Crist told Gobal News Calgary. "He'd give you the shirt off his back. He's my role model, for sure."

The donation, Dey said, "will go to enhance care for other patients. It will help an awful lot. He told us that he had been successful in life and already had enough money to take care of his family and that this is what his wife would have wanted. He was doing it in her name."

Though Crist acknowledges that his actions may spark generosity in others, "I'm not doing it because it's going to inspire somebody else," he told the CBC. "I'm doing it because that's what my heart tells me to do."

AUDIO: Listen to the interview

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

NBC, CBC

Comments

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Very Nice!! God Bless you Mr,Tom Crist Blue Angel

Jon D's avatarJon D

Classic! You Da Man Tom, that's the way to do it:

"That's all you're getting. You're not getting a smile, nothing."

Should've also worn a mustache, full beard, vulcan ears and a unibrow. Even better!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Wow, whay a guy.

I just hope he doesn't still get hounded despite having given it all away.

"Slap some on me".

"I gave it all away"

"No you didn't share the wealth."

I'm also wondering about that item in the Reader's Digest 13 Things Lottery Winners Won't Tell You that it's better to give annually than once. Maybe since Candaians aren't taxed on winnings, eh, it's a little different.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Great story indeed may God continue to bless you Mr. CristHurray!

lottolaughs's avatarlottolaughs

It really made me ill watching that Lottery show with those winners and their mansions and extravagances. This man here is a REAL winner in my book. 

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

GREAT GUY!!! BUT, there is no way i would do this. This is going to upset a lot of people but Cancer research donations/contributions have turned out to be the BIGGEST charity scam in history. The medical center will do and obviously has done good work for for patients, including his ear late wife (may she rest in peace) and so i get it. And i'm sure some will benefit from his kindness.  WHEN i win one day, and i decide to give to charity. I already have one stipulation, none of my money will go to any organization where its board members make over $200,000 a year. There is sooo much i would love to get into here regarding how these places work but time and space prohibits at this point.

GREAT GUY, GOOD HEART, RIGHT PRIORITIES!!! But not me, i'll find other more DIRECT ways to help and better the lives of many. Instead of fattening an already fat cow. (metaphorically speaking of course)

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Congrats!  Very cool story.

blessings0424

Very touching story of a selfless man.  May God continue to bless him and his family.  Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and many blessings to come.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

I hope the death of his wife has not adversely affected him.Unhappy

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I think its a fantastic move. We need more people with this kind of generosity; generosity from the heart!

Kee12's avatarKee12

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Dec 20, 2013

GREAT GUY!!! BUT, there is no way i would do this. This is going to upset a lot of people but Cancer research donations/contributions have turned out to be the BIGGEST charity scam in history. The medical center will do and obviously has done good work for for patients, including his ear late wife (may she rest in peace) and so i get it. And i'm sure some will benefit from his kindness.  WHEN i win one day, and i decide to give to charity. I already have one stipulation, none of my money will go to any organization where its board members make over $200,000 a year. There is sooo much i would love to get into here regarding how these places work but time and space prohibits at this point.

GREAT GUY, GOOD HEART, RIGHT PRIORITIES!!! But not me, i'll find other more DIRECT ways to help and better the lives of many. Instead of fattening an already fat cow. (metaphorically speaking of course)

I Agree!

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Wow, Mr Crist is not only a winner in the lottery, he's a winner in life. I have total respect for him and wish him all the best, a class act human being hands down.Smile

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Dec 20, 2013

I think its a fantastic move. We need more people with this kind of generosity; generosity from the heart!

I Agree!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Good info. I need to add this to my future charity plans if I win big. I planned to check out the the charities but forgot about the BOD salaries.

Also, for those of you who plan to donate to an animal charity, a lot of the big national ones like PETA and the Humane Society are ripoffs and often care little about the animals. Donate to your local no kill rescue group or no-kill shelter.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Dec 20, 2013

Amen.

Jon D's avatarJon D

I think it was a particularly wise move to hide it from everyone, even his kids. Well, especially from his kids. Otherwise they may have made a move for the money.

Kind of reminds me of Warren buffett, who chose NOT to give loads of cash to his kids, and instead pledge to give it all away to charity before he dies in the The Giving Pledge.

Good move. Prepare them, educate them, help them if needed, but don't just give them or leave them tons of cash, it can spoil them. The son of a rich man is seldom a good man.

Speaking of Warren Buffett. In the news today they say he made $37 Million PER DAY in 2013.

Uh...no offense Tim with your $40M, or Ira with your $500K per day, but the super rich are in another category altogether.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Great story but they could of skipped the picture. Don't see what they gained by showing it.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Dec 20, 2013

Great story but they could of skipped the picture. Don't see what they gained by showing it.

I think it was required, he had to do it.

That's why I said he should have gone all out, like full ZZ Top or Duck Dynasty disguise to really piss off the marketing guys!

delS

There are really nice people in the world..... Its a fact/reality that not everyone is greedy, selfish and materialistic. For those who have nothing but negative comments about chaitible services, have never been in need of charitible services. Pray that the day never comes where they and their families need the good will of great charities.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I too plan to donate to my favorite charity if I ever win a lottery jackpot.  I have always donated to it since I started working back in high school.

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

He only donated the millons because he was the C.E.O. of a billion dollar company and well off to begin with in the first place. I would love to see if he would give it all to chairty if he was poor or middle class living pay check to pay check.

I wouldn't donate to most chairities if I had that kind of money, I'd rather set up a chairty org  myself and distribute the money so I know where the money is really going.

JezzVim

He should be hospitalized, put under heavy sedation, placed in a padded cell, and given electro shock treatments three times a week.   Something is wrong with this man. 

He has kids, grandchildren, family.   I can see giving 1/2 away and the rest to family members, but not the whole lot of money. 

That is my opinion, I could be wrong?

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Dec 20, 2013

He only donated the millons because he was the C.E.O. of a billion dollar company and well off to begin with in the first place. I would love to see if he would give it all to chairty if he was poor or middle class living pay check to pay check.

I wouldn't donate to most chairities if I had that kind of money, I'd rather set up a chairty org  myself and distribute the money so I know where the money is really going.

I am quite inclined to agree with such perspective. People are acting like he was broke and purely out of altruism is giving his winnings away. No one knows his net worth, and by the sounds of it, it just might well be in the multi multi millions. Still a good move on his part, can't knock him for that. But come on people, the rich giving away new money because they have old money locked away is nothing new. Kudos to him for not being too greedy. But i'll be much more impressed if he needed the money, he said so himself.

One-Day

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. 

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

So many people who are well off never give any money to help others. It's always more, more and more. It doesn't matter that this guy was well off, he couild have still just added to his wealth and that would have been that. When someone do a good deed from the heart, it's bad to try and down play or dismiss what a person does.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Dec 21, 2013

I am quite inclined to agree with such perspective. People are acting like he was broke and purely out of altruism is giving his winnings away. No one knows his net worth, and by the sounds of it, it just might well be in the multi multi millions. Still a good move on his part, can't knock him for that. But come on people, the rich giving away new money because they have old money locked away is nothing new. Kudos to him for not being too greedy. But i'll be much more impressed if he needed the money, he said so himself.

"But i'll be much more impressed if he needed the money, ......."

Would you still have been more impressed if he needed the money and wasted it on lottery tickets?  There are lots of losers with gambling addiction doing that everyday.

iwantthejackpot

Quote: Originally posted by lottolaughs on Dec 20, 2013

It really made me ill watching that Lottery show with those winners and their mansions and extravagances. This man here is a REAL winner in my book. 

I've only watched that show a couple of times and then stopped, I got way too jealous. If I won $40 million, there is no way in heck I'd give it ALL to charity. A few million, sure, but not all.

sully16's avatarsully16

What a very nice man, hope his donations helps many cancer patients.

daxpax

I agree. How about 800 deserving families who are trying but are hurting at the moment receiving 50,000 each to give them a little breathing room.

To me, that would have been more satisfying in my eyes. Especially right around Christmas.

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

He must have been very well off financially, along with a big heart!

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Dec 21, 2013

What a very nice man, hope his donations helps many cancer patients.

The article says that he said he didn't need the money as he has been quite successful. So he gave the money where his heart was, the place that treated his wife. Cancer touches everybody in some way everyday. I lost my mother to cancer. My wife lost her mother to cancer. If it hasn't touched one of us personally, it has or will touch you through someone you love.

I agree, it was a thoughtful and loving thing to do, whether he already has money or not. 40 million is still a chunk of change.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by daxpax on Dec 21, 2013

I agree. How about 800 deserving families who are trying but are hurting at the moment receiving 50,000 each to give them a little breathing room.

To me, that would have been more satisfying in my eyes. Especially right around Christmas.

There are a lot more than 800 families that are hurting. How does one find and/or decide who is hurting the most?

He put the money where his heart is, the place and people that treated his wife. Because cancer has or will touch you and most everybody in this world. His hope is that better treatments will come along with the help of that money to help more people.

He is already well off. He probably learned the hard way that no matter what material things you have, how much money you have, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

riscknight's avatarriscknight

Quote: Originally posted by lottolaughs on Dec 20, 2013

"This man here is a REAL winner in my book."

Mine as well. He chose to help those who suffer; if other people who made a fortune could see through his eyes, the world would be a better place with less pain...

riscknight's avatarriscknight

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Dec 22, 2013

There are a lot more than 800 families that are hurting. How does one find and/or decide who is hurting the most?

He put the money where his heart is, the place and people that treated his wife. Because cancer has or will touch you and most everybody in this world. His hope is that better treatments will come along with the help of that money to help more people.

He is already well off. He probably learned the hard way that no matter what material things you have, how much money you have, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

"He put the money where his heart is, the place and people that treated his wife. Because cancer has or will touch you and most everybody in this world. His hope is that better treatments will come along with the help of that money to help more people.

He is already well off. He probably learned the hard way that no matter what material things you have, how much money you have, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything."

+1000

silverwater

Sorry but do people really believe he's going to give the whole $40M away? In a Canadian article, he said he put the money in trusts for his kids who are going to give it to charity. What garantees the kids will do so? I think it's a clever way to tell everyone "I gave it all away, don't ask me for anything".

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by silverwater on Dec 22, 2013

Sorry but do people really believe he's going to give the whole $40M away? In a Canadian article, he said he put the money in trusts for his kids who are going to give it to charity. What garantees the kids will do so? I think it's a clever way to tell everyone "I gave it all away, don't ask me for anything".

THANK YOU SILVERWATER!!!! Finally, a post from someone who gets what's going on here. Like i said earlier, kudos to him for his philantropic approach when he could have simply pocketed the cash and gone about his busniess. But i'm no fool either Silverwater, people need to look up/read upon these charitable Trust and how they work and why the benefit the wealthy. I am constantly AMAZED, just AMAZED about the naivete expressed by people (well meaning people i should add). Maybe its because we Americans are good natured and aspire to be just as 'kind' if given the opportunity so we only the the good in people/actions without questioning them. Here's the reality people....this charitable Trust established will be of much much more benefit to his family over the life of his annual contributions than people can imagine. Its the new form of estate transfer. Well, actually its not at all new. Just now becoming more common and widespread. I personally am not knocking him for doing this, not one bit. Its legal, it helps his family, it helps his charitable causes. I'm simply not naive to think "oh what a great guy giving all this money away". PLEASE!!!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

This is a great story. This proves that everyone has a different reason for buying lottery tickets. Some of us need it to enhance "our" lives and others want it to enhance "other" peoples lives. Let's go buy some tickets and make "our" dreams come true.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Just because he's going to set up a Trust doesn't mean there is anything sinister going on. That's the way to do it if you're doing charity/philanthropy.(rather than just giving out cash/gifts yourself)

And including his kids, who can be involved with and learn about charity/philanthropy, becoming trustees, assigning funds to beneficiaries, that's a great thing for a dad to do.

silverwater

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Dec 22, 2013

THANK YOU SILVERWATER!!!! Finally, a post from someone who gets what's going on here. Like i said earlier, kudos to him for his philantropic approach when he could have simply pocketed the cash and gone about his busniess. But i'm no fool either Silverwater, people need to look up/read upon these charitable Trust and how they work and why the benefit the wealthy. I am constantly AMAZED, just AMAZED about the naivete expressed by people (well meaning people i should add). Maybe its because we Americans are good natured and aspire to be just as 'kind' if given the opportunity so we only the the good in people/actions without questioning them. Here's the reality people....this charitable Trust established will be of much much more benefit to his family over the life of his annual contributions than people can imagine. Its the new form of estate transfer. Well, actually its not at all new. Just now becoming more common and widespread. I personally am not knocking him for doing this, not one bit. Its legal, it helps his family, it helps his charitable causes. I'm simply not naive to think "oh what a great guy giving all this money away". PLEASE!!!

Yeah, well, you know, people tend to believe pretty much everything they're told so this comes to no surprise. I am sure the guy gave/will give money to Cancer but to believe the entire 40 willl go to it is to be really and I mean, really, naive. No one, regardless of how poor/rich/wealthy, will turn down 40M, no one. 

I registered to express my opinion on this matter and ... at the end of the day, it's just that: my opinion. Hence, I hope I don't offend anyone. To me, giving it away is to write a one time 40M check to the Cancer association - not put it through kids trust who are then going to give it to charity. I mean, come on, people, seriously?

I am a frequent reader of the usamega and lotterypost - great sites ... but I must admit that I find the people's attitude on the forum rather strange: every single person (well, almost) is excessively positive/happy. I don't know if it's to do "good karma" but the way things are on the forum do not reflect reality. There is one thing I realized about the lottery: it's just a matter of luck and nothing else but luck. Odds could be 1 to 10 billion and if you're lucky, you're going to hit it. It doesn't matter whether you're an ex con or already a billionaire, if you're lucky, you will win it. Nothing can or will change that. Again, just my opinion.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jon D's avatarJon D

Yeah, well, you know, people tend to believe pretty much everything they're told so this comes to no surprise. I am sure the guy gave/will give money to Cancer but to believe the entire 40 willl go to it is to be really and I mean, really, naive. No one, regardless of how poor/rich/wealthy, will turn down 40M, no one. 

I registered to express my opinion on this matter and ... at the end of the day, it's just that: my opinion. Hence, I hope I don't offend anyone. To me, giving it away is to write a one time 40M check to the Cancer association - not put it through kids trust who are then going to give it to charity. I mean, come on, people, seriously?

I am a frequent reader of the usamega and lotterypost - great sites ... but I must admit that I find the people's attitude on the forum rather strange: every single person (well, almost) is excessively positive/happy. I don't know if it's to do "good karma" but the way things are on the forum do not reflect reality. There is one thing I realized about the lottery: it's just a matter of luck and nothing else but luck. Odds could be 1 to 10 billion and if you're lucky, you're going to hit it. It doesn't matter whether you're an ex con or already a billionaire, if you're lucky, you will win it. Nothing can or will change that. Again, just my opinion.

Wow...nice intro new member.

So you think LP members are naive and disconnected from reality, and you are somehow superior up there in Canada compared to us dumb Americans?

Merry Christmas to you as well.

silverwater

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Dec 22, 2013

Wow...nice intro new member.

So you think LP members are naive and disconnected from reality, and you are somehow superior up there in Canada compared to us dumb Americans?

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Is that what you understood from what I said? Seriously?

FYI: I am an American myself, just live and work in Toronto. Moreover, I never thought this place was just Americans and I sure didn't point the finger at anyone in particular - sorry you feel this way.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

"...every single person (well, almost) is excessively positive/happy."

Where'd you get that idea?Hyper

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Hey Silver, don't worry I'm not positive or happy, especially when someone else wins. I usually feel like this when someone else wins. Smiley

depressed

MegaSuperPower

My two cents: Yes, he's probably savvy enough to use this charity thing to stave off leeches, but still keep enough of it to benefit his family in the long run, but two...

Is it just me, or do we live in a world where, say he gave away $39MM of it and kept $1MM as a nest egg, some people might still call him selfish or at the very least, still think they had good reason to hit him up for a chunk of it to help themselves? I just get that sense. Call me paranoid. But if I won the lottery and gave away like 99% of it, I think there'd still be people out there who assumed that the 1% I kept for myself was "way more than he'd need" and try to beg for a chunk of what's left. As in, if you WIN money, some people aren't satisfied unless you give it all away (to them) and yet if you do that, you're also a 'sucker'.

Just postulating.

silverwater

1. Just my opinion. Didn't mean to offend anyone. 

2. Giving it away = write a one time big fat $40M check. Period. Not trusts throught kids, blablabla.

3. Wake up peeps.

4. Merry Christmas.

5. Ho. Ho. Ho.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by silverwater on Dec 23, 2013

1. Just my opinion. Didn't mean to offend anyone. 

2. Giving it away = write a one time big fat $40M check. Period. Not trusts throught kids, blablabla.

3. Wake up peeps.

4. Merry Christmas.

5. Ho. Ho. Ho.

I think you really need to reexamine your basic argument, that Tom Crist is some kind of false philanthropist simply because he's not donating the way you think he should.

Your suggestion that he write one check for $40M and give it to one organization is just not smart and not how the rich do it. You don't want to dump a whole lot of cash on an organization, more than they know what to do with. Then you will certainly have the real potential for waste and abuse.

You give a smaller manageable portion at a time, and see how the results are. You spread the wealth around and give to many charities in many different areas of interest to you. You do it in the smartest way to minimize the tax burden and maximize the donation.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, look at people like Warren Buffet who are big philanthropists. Do you say he's a false philanthopist just because he doesn't write a check for the whole $70 Billion at one time for a single organization? No. He gives billions away, but spread over time, with a plan to give away it all. Problem is, he makes soo much money that he can't give it away fast enough. He made $12.7 Billion in 2013! A nice problem to have.

silverwater

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Dec 23, 2013

I think you really need to reexamine your basic argument, that Tom Crist is some kind of false philanthropist simply because he's not donating the way you think he should.

Your suggestion that he write one check for $40M and give it to one organization is just not smart and not how the rich do it. You don't want to dump a whole lot of cash on an organization, more than they know what to do with. Then you will certainly have the real potential for waste and abuse.

You give a smaller manageable portion at a time, and see how the results are. You spread the wealth around and give to many charities in many different areas of interest to you. You do it in the smartest way to minimize the tax burden and maximize the donation.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, look at people like Warren Buffet who are big philanthropists. Do you say he's a false philanthopist just because he doesn't write a check for the whole $70 Billion at one time for a single organization? No. He gives billions away, but spread over time, with a plan to give away it all. Problem is, he makes soo much money that he can't give it away fast enough. He made $12.7 Billion in 2013! A nice problem to have.

I still call is bs and I will say it again, just my opinion. The way I see it is that he made a big publicity stunt - he didn't need to tell anyone how much of the $40M he will give away, how it will be given and to which charity. Once he passes away, there is absolutely no garantee that his kids will continue giving the money away.  Personally, I hope the kids don't give it away - charities are overrated and corrupt. I tell you one thing, when I win, I keep it all. :)

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by silverwater on Dec 24, 2013

I still call is bs and I will say it again, just my opinion. The way I see it is that he made a big publicity stunt - he didn't need to tell anyone how much of the $40M he will give away, how it will be given and to which charity. Once he passes away, there is absolutely no garantee that his kids will continue giving the money away.  Personally, I hope the kids don't give it away - charities are overrated and corrupt. I tell you one thing, when I win, I keep it all. :)

Publicity stunt??? Bang Head

"...it took Crist more than six months to tell anybody..."

"I just didn't want the media, the press, all that kind of stuff. So I just kept putting it off and putting it off, and putting it off."

Finally at the behest of the Western Canada Lottery Corp., he agreed to go public and have his photo taken. The fine print on the lottery subscription he'd bought had demanded as much.

The poor guy tried to duck and hide from publicity, but he was required to do it. He did it reluctantly with baseball cap and sunglasses.

Oh, alright, I give up silverwater. I can't take it anymore.

No Mas!

And Merry X-Mas!

Noel

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Dec 20, 2013

I think it was required, he had to do it.

That's why I said he should have gone all out, like full ZZ Top or Duck Dynasty disguise to really piss off the marketing guys!

Good thing he did'nt get the DD disguise. The public would of stoned him to death.

GYM RICE

So a man wears a hat and glasses because he doesn't want to be recoginized by the public, and then tells EVERYONE that he's giving it all to charity. Which will now bring endless amounts of attention to who the man is...Why tell the public anything about what you're going to do with your money? Donate it all away anon...

GYM RICE

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Dec 24, 2013

Good thing he did'nt get the DD disguise. The public would of stoned him to death.

I'm guessing the opposite would happen if he wore a DD disguise...

GYM RICE

This is a good point...I however would be worried about certain charities suing me if I went public and told everyone I was giving it all away to a certain charity/s and then not follow through...

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by GYM RICE on Dec 26, 2013

So a man wears a hat and glasses because he doesn't want to be recoginized by the public, and then tells EVERYONE that he's giving it all to charity. Which will now bring endless amounts of attention to who the man is...Why tell the public anything about what you're going to do with your money? Donate it all away anon...

This is a classic case of: Darned if you do, darned if you don't

So, Tom knew that when he claimed, his name and picture would be published. It was required.

Question: do you grant a press interview? Or just duck out and not say anything?

C'mon, if he just ducked out and said nothing, the press would then be left to make up their own narrative:

"Multi-millionaire retired corporate executive wins $40M jackpot, ducks out with the money and says nothing, no gratitude, not a thanks, no mention of any charity or help for the community." And rich people haters would say, "What a greedy old man! Why do rich people even play the lottery anyway, it's not fair!"

So instead, he decides to grant an interview, and you still got people saying:

"He ain't giving it to charity, that's just BS. It's all fake. I bet his wife didn't even die of cancer!"

Darned if you do, darned if you don't

jamella724

What a kind-hearted man. Maybe that's why God has chosen him to be the winner. All of us should be like him, you're truly an excellent role model Mr. Tom Crist.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story