Lottery winner's lifetime of money gone in weeks

Jan 10, 2014, 2:03 pm (83 comments)

Florida Lottery

A few weeks before Thanksgiving, staff at the Loving Care assisted living facility in St. Petersburg realized something had changed in Malcolm Ramsey's life.

Relatives who had never paid much attention to Ramsey, 55 and mentally incompetent, suddenly started showing up in droves. Bulging bags from T.J. Maxx and Bealls filled his half of a tiny, shared bedroom. Boxes of new athletic shoes — Nike, New Balance, K-Swiss — towered against the wall.

Then there were the rumors that Ramsey had hit it big in the Florida lottery.

Ramsey's legal guardian got involved. So did St. Petersburg police, an adult protective services worker and, eventually, a judge. And slowly, the story came out.

Sometime in October, Ramsey had won "$500 a week for life" on a scratch-off Florida Lottery ticket. With the help of a cab driver, he had gotten an ID, a copy of his birth certificate and a ride to Tallahassee to claim the prize. He took it as a lump-sum payout — $403,288.

In barely four weeks, Ramsey blew through more than half the money, with little of value to show for it. He says he wanted the cash, but by taking it all he is in danger of losing the government benefits he has relied on to survive.

Judge Lauren Laughlin, who monitors Ramsey's guardianship, sees another problem: Why was there nothing to keep the Florida Lottery from handing over thousands of dollars to someone that a court found incapable of caring for himself?

"You clearly can't be giving this kind of money to people who have had the right to manage their own financial affairs removed," Laughlin says. "You would like it to be a Forrest Gump time, good for you, but not with $170,000 walking out the door in 30 days."

• • •

Malcolm Ramsey, grey bearded and missing most of his front teeth, can express himself but speaks in short sentences and a low, flat voice. He mowed lawns, washed dishes and worked in a warehouse before mental illness took hold and never let go.

Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, Ramsey "doesn't take his medications (and) has been involuntarily hospitalized several times," an adult protective services officer wrote in 2002. "It is your petitioner's belief that Mr. Ramsey is incapable of caring for himself and/or his finances."

A judge agreed and appointed the nonprofit Aging Solutions to be Ramsey's guardian, responsible for paying his bills and monitoring his care.

Over the next few years Ramsey spent time in a state mental hospital and a group home before landing at Loving Care, an assisted living facility near downtown St. Petersburg. Independent enough to come and go as he pleases, he often walks the neighborhood and pokes through thrift stores. The Supplemental Security Income program covers his room and board and gives him a $54 monthly allowance.

Right across the street, Ramsey found a handy place to spend it, a Quick Pick gas station, whose $1.1 million in annual ticket sales ranks it among Pinellas County's busiest lottery retailers.

"He's a good customer," says store manager Ajah Shah. "No headaches, no hassle, just come, buy and leave."

Early last year, Ramsey won $1,000 on a scratch-off ticket. He took a cab to the lottery office in Tampa to get the money.

Ramsey then set his sights on a bigger payoff. For $1 each, he started buying scratch-off tickets with a grand prize of $500 a week for life.

"He was chasing that ticket," Shah says. "He used to buy that ticket all time."

One morning in early October, Ramsey bought a ticket as usual. He took it back to his room, sat down on his bed and started scratching. The last number — 7 — matched the winning number.

Ramsey says he put the ticket in a shirt pocket, hung the shirt in his closet and padlocked the door. A few weeks later he told Shah he had a winner.

"There was no emotion on his face at all," Shah recalls. "People normally are very excited, jumping around."

Ramsey wouldn't show the ticket to Shah. Instead he turned to Charlie Springer, a driver for Bat's Taxi who sometimes idles his cab at the Quick Pick when business is slow. Springer called lottery headquarters in Tallahassee to see what Ramsey needed to claim his prize.

With money borrowed from Springer, Ramsey rode a bus to Largo and got a copy of his birth certificate from the Pinellas County Vital Statistics Office. He used the certificate to get a new ID card from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Springer loaned him another $50 to open an account at Wells Fargo so the Florida Lottery would have a place to wire the winnings.

Finally, at 3:30 a.m. on Oct. 30, they set off for Tallahassee in Springer's cab. At lottery headquarters, Ramsey presented his ID and a woman asked if he wanted his photo taken.

Ramsey said no.

"St. Petersburg man turns $1 into $500 a week for life," read the lottery's brief press release.

Ramsey and Springer returned home the same day. The round-trip fare: $1,500.

It took a few days before Ramsey's winnings, $302,446 after taxes, became available. Shah, the Quick Pick manager, says he counseled him to be careful with all that money.

Instead, Ramsey got a cashier's check from Wells Fargo for $302,466 and immediately cashed it at an Amscot store. Amscot charged him more than $14,000 in fees.

Ramsey took $19,678 in cash and 268 money orders, each for $1,000.

Then he started spending.

As an investigator would later learn, Ramsey cashed 21 of the money orders on a single day, Nov. 6. Almost every other day after that, he cashed multiple money orders, including the big shopping day of Black Friday, Nov. 29, when he got $8,000 and bought flat-screen TVs at Wal-Mart.

With Springer or one of his sisters driving, Ramsey also went to Tyrone Square Mall, the Ellenton outlet mall and the Wagon Wheel Flea Market, buying so many new clothes he had to get several plastic bins to hold them all. He also loaded up on $19.95 Timex watches for everyone in his family. "About 40 watches, I guess," he says.

It was the sudden appearance of Ramsey's relatives at Loving Care that prompted the facility to contact his guardian in mid-November.

"It was people who were around that had never been around before," says Lona DiCerb, director of operations at Aging Solutions, the nonprofit then in charge of Ramsey's care. "That's troublesome when family he'd never spoke of prior began coming around."

Although rumors swirled that Ramsey had won the lottery, he wouldn't reveal anything to an Aging Solutions manager who went to see him. The organization called St. Petersburg police, who, DiCerb says, initially declined to investigate on the grounds it was a matter for the adult protective services program of the Department of Children and Families.

When DCF's investigator also failed to pry any information from Ramsey, she too contacted police. On Nov. 23 — more than two weeks after Ramsey started his spending spree — they opened a case of possible exploitation.

"A lot of time was wasted," DiCerb says. By then, he had gone through more than $100,000.

The last to learn of Ramsey's windfall was Judge Laughlin. She was in her chambers at the St. Petersburg courthouse Dec. 3 when she had a call from the court clerk's office.

"I got suspicious when they told me he was downstairs with a pocket full of money," the judge says.

Ramsey had come to get a copy of his guardianship file, all 662 pages, which he paid for with $662 in cash.

From there, things moved rapidly. A St. Petersburg detective went to Loving Care, where Ramsey unlocked his closet and handed over $118,000 in money orders. The judge told the clerk's office to put them in its safe along with the $662 Ramsey had paid for his file.

Laughlin also assigned a court investigator to try to determine where the rest of the winnings had gone. Relatives acknowledged receiving new phones, a $1,500 timing belt for a nephew's car, cash gifts of a few hundred dollars. They said Ramsey also took them out to eat.

"Giving $300 here, $400 there, that wouldn't account for the amount of money that is missing," Laughlin says.

One sister, Gwen Ramsey, who lives in Clearwater, said it was "months" before she learned about Ramsey's win. Did he buy her anything?

"No, 'cuz I didn't know he had won."

At the St. Petersburg home of another sister, a woman hollered to a reporter: "Go away!"

As for Springer, the cab driver, he says he doesn't want to talk about helping Ramsey claim his prize.

"Ain't nothin' to talk about except the ride. Ain't nothin' spectacular."

• • •

Police are still investigating whether anyone took illegal advantage of Ramsey. Exploitation of the disabled or elderly is a felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

Both the judge and Aging Solutions' DiCerb think the Florida Lottery should be checking to see if a winner has been adjudicated incompetent, just as it checks to see if winners owe child support.

"I can look online in public records and see if someone is under a guardianship," DiCerb says. "I spoke to an attorney at the Florida Lottery who said they had no legal authority or responsibility to do so and I think that's shameful."

Laughlin said she might ask Pinellas County's legislative delegation to consider a change in the law.

"This brings to light one of the problems that can come up," she says. "I don't know how many times lightning can strike but you can't give these people that kind of money."

Had she known of Ramsey's winnings early on, Laughlin says she could have set up a "special needs trust" that would have allowed the money to be spent for his benefit — but not for other people — without jeopardizing his government assistance. As it now stands, Ramsey could lose his Medicaid, which pays his medical bills, and SSI, a needs-based program that covers his $1,000-a-month room and board and would pay for costlier nursing care he might need in the future.

"There are certain income and resource restrictions in order for you to be eligible for the benefits," says Patti Patterson, a Social Security Administration spokesperson. "So you can only have so much in the bank."

Is it too late to set up a trust with the remaining $118,000? Judge Laughlin has appointed a new guardian and "that's something he has to figure out," she says. "We're hoping he can."

• • •

Ramsey has little to say about his lottery windfall except: "They took my money." He doesn't think he has a guardian, doesn't understand that the judge was trying to help him.

He still spends his days trolling through thrift stores and crossing the street to the Quick Pick.

"Now he's chasing the $2,500 a week for life," says Shah, the manager.

Even though he's down to his $54 monthly allowance, relatives still come to see him, Ramsey says. On a cold recent day, he waited for one sister to pick him up at 1 p.m. so they could go to lunch. At 1:40, she still wasn't there so he walked over to the Quick Pick and bought a ticket.

He scratched it off in the parking lot.

Then he walked slowly back to Loving Care and Room 128, with its bags from T.J. Maxx and 23 pairs of shoes.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Tampa Bay Times

Comments

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Mr Malcolm Ramsey's story gets repeated so many times in so many ways that I have nothing to say. I hope he lives to tell the tale of how lack of planning and discipline can wipe out a fortune in record time.

WWWBUKTN

If nothing else I would like to see that Amscot that charged him more than $14,000 in fees investigated.    They had to know something was wrong with him.   That's just disgusting.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

I'm surprised he does'nt have a prison bed. If he can play lotto and go on spending sprees, it's obvious he's scaming the Government. I also thought it was illegal to receive a income while getting assistance.

Lucky4Life's avatarLucky4Life

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jan 10, 2014

I'm surprised he does'nt have a prison bed. If he can play lotto and go on spending sprees, it's obvious he's scaming the Government. I also thought it was illegal to receive a income while getting assistance.

seriously? Obviously he is mentally impaired.  I don't think sending him to prison would do any good.  He would still be on the tax payer's dime.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

he should write a book about "what not to do when you hit big" . and he might be rich again.

LottoPerro

*facepalm*

So everybody is thinking it so I will just come out and say it:

Why, oh why, in God's name does the Lottery Fairy give it to this guy? All of us here are have laid out plans and lawyers picked out and trusts mentally prepared.  and this guy, who clearly doesn't know much more than how to bathe himself, wins it and buys ...SHOES?!?! 

Maybe i'm just bitter.  I know some of you have heard me say it before....the market changed, my pay was cut drastically i'm back in school for a career change but i'm one medical emergency from losing my house.  With 400K i could have paid off my house, vehicles and put my kids through school.  Just makes no sense to me.  and kills me.  absolutely. kills. me.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

All the hyenas who previously probably wouldn't give him the time of day were suddenly very concerned about his wellbeing.

Dirtbags.

malin1257's avatarmalin1257

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jan 10, 2014

Mr Malcolm Ramsey's story gets repeated so many times in so many ways that I have nothing to say. I hope he lives to tell the tale of how lack of planning and discipline can wipe out a fortune in record time.

Can you read?  The gentleman is "mentally ill".  Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia  People wanting so much to win the lottery have utterly become unglued in their thinking.   Reasearch the illness and you might become aware of how it works and not come off sounding  STUPID.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 10, 2014

All the hyenas who previously probably wouldn't give him the time of day were suddenly very concerned about his wellbeing.

Dirtbags.

very sad all the way around.   I really feel bad for him losing his benefits due to this.  I bet none of the losers that took watches from him will be willing to let him stay with them

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

even the judge wanted to maintain his acess to benefits!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Dirtbags.

Typical kin folks, always more concerned about your finances than your health especially if you're too kind to tell them to go to hell.

noise-gate

$14, 000 in fees? That's excessive.
No sooner do parasites see an Elderly person with money and the fleecing begins, mental issues or not.

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

No Pity!This guy obviously has some mental problems. Why would he pay 14,000.00 to have a  Well's Fargo cashier's check cashed??? That is just plain INSANE!! He should have left the money in his Well's Fargo account and purchased his 1,000.00 dollar money orders at a fraction of the cost. Which also makes me wonder why he felt the need to purchase all those darn money orders in the first place???? Like Forest Gump used to say "Stupid is what Stupid does!" No one to blame but himself!

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

I can't believe this is titled "lifetime of money"...this may seem like a fortune to some but the reality is a decent house in a decent town is at least that price up here in connecticut (400 G's)

I don't know about anyone else but I'd easily still have to work

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Surprised they don't make him pay back for medicaid , SSI , etccccccc with that money .......that's abusing the system ...

And he continues playing the scatch off .......

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Relatives still coming to see him..... guess they want to be in the know as soon as he hits the $2500 wk for life.

brees2012's avatarbrees2012

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBgood07 on Jan 10, 2014

I can't believe this is titled "lifetime of money"...this may seem like a fortune to some but the reality is a decent house in a decent town is at least that price up here in connecticut (400 G's)

Brand new homes which one is behind me , brand new and nobody lives in it for $243,000 , which is high

because their's another brand new home for $200,000 and it all depends on where you want to live .

This area quiet , clean , friendly and neighbors minds their own business .....rarely see them ....

You can go to another town where you can buy new homes for $100,000 - $200,000 ........again depends

on where you want to live ........6 miles away you can go and buy homes for $500,000 - $1,000,000 or more .

Around here , prices vary ......2 and 3 miles away one area $350,000 - $450,000 ......second area $350,000 - $550,000

And the homes aren't super huge only when you go into $600k and over ......

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Dirtbags.

Yep.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by brees2012 on Jan 10, 2014

Surprised they don't make him pay back for medicaid , SSI , etccccccc with that money .......that's abusing the system ...

And he continues playing the scatch off .......

I am just going to say this. Even people living on government benefits and who are not in their right mind get lucky sometime. It is unfortunate that this man did not first share his fortune with the trusted legal guardian, who could have set up a trust for him at a local bank, thereby avoiding that $14,000 gouging and protected him from the vultures that circled him in that month.

I do not think the criticism of him is racist since folks slammed Leroy Fick, that Michigan man who won $2M and still collected food stamps. But I do find the criticism a bit heartless. For goodness sake, the man has mental issues and some people want to throw him to the wolves or in jail. Put yourself in his shoes. Would you not want someone to help you and not take advantage of you?

MDguy

Everyone that took advantage of that man should be lined up and kicked in the groin.

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

SMH!

OldSchoolHits

Why is anyone criticizing the winner? Do you people not have any level of reading comprehension? He is mentally ill and can't make proper choices for himself, that's why he was living in an assisted living facility. Scamming the government? For what, the $54 dollars a month? You who criticize him aren't grasping the fact that we aren't dealing with someone who understands normal reasoning. He doesn't have the mental capacity that you, supposedly, have. Good grief.

MegaSuperPower

This is a sad example that money can't buy everything. I'm sure the way his family (the leeches, that is) saw it, he's too mentally unfit to properly appreciate the money. But their use of it, even in abusing his mental incapacities, was a bit short sighted. What I don't understand is- how was he able to even deal with all the opening of bank accounts, getting cashiers checks, etc.? I don't view that as do-able activities for someone with such mental capacities. BTW people- Paranoid Schizophrenic is not the same as retarded. He still knew what he was doing- the difference is, he didn't have the wherewithall to view it in terms of the future, of planning for himself in realistic ways- realism/reality; the things he can't fully comprehend and thus why he's in an asssisted living facility. From some very unfortunate personal experience, I can assure you that many older, mentally handicapped people requiring in-treatment care are indeed abandoned by family members who don't see a point in making an effort because the person's mind is so far gone they won't appreciate it, or so the family assumes. So perhaps, if I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment, the family sawthe situation as someone without the capacity to handle large sums of money being rightfully taken advantage of since he wouldn't know the difference anyway. Still messed up, wrong and rightfully illegal.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by malin1257 on Jan 10, 2014

Can you read?  The gentleman is "mentally ill".  Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia  People wanting so much to win the lottery have utterly become unglued in their thinking.   Reasearch the illness and you might become aware of how it works and not come off sounding  STUPID.

You seem to have mental illnesses and that is why you come at me in this fashion. Take your Prozac pills and once your mind calms down come ask me why I posted what I did instead of assuming things about me.

lottolaughs's avatarlottolaughs

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBgood07 on Jan 10, 2014

I Agree! Here in Calif too as I'm sure many other places.

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

This is one of the main reasons I say I will always take the annunity if I hit big instead of a lump sum.  That way I would have "money for life"

Astekblue's avatarAstekblue

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 10, 2014

Typical kin folks, always more concerned about your finances than your health especially if you're too kind to tell them to go to hell.

Amen   To   That

" Vultures   In  The  Sun  "    I  always  call  them

"  The  dollar  will  never  drop  as  Low  in  value.......as  some  people  will   stoop  to  get  it   "

Wouldn't   bother  me ,  if  they  gave  all  the  people   that  took  advantage of  him ,  30  years  ,  per  the  law  mentioned  in  the   article

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Well, the problem STARTS with these assisted-living home's administrators.  Most of their employees see several of their "patients/charges" at these next-door, taxis, thrift stores, AND lottery retailers buying tickets on a DAILY/WEEKLY basis.  Then these employees/administrators don't care enough to do anything about this HUGE abuse to income tax payers/government/patient!

Ahem, it is good to read, again, how government assigned "multi-client financial conservators," way under-care for their charges!  Now Ramsey has a new one, since this judge fired the last one for 'non-oversight' or whatever way-too-late reason ... will the new financial conservator be helpful, or the same old, same old: "I don't care to work/become involved" career methodology?

Rant

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

I'm glad the judged cared enough to actively get involved.  It was only after she got involved that things moved quickly and "stabilized" the situation.

duckman's avatarduckman

This whole story is sad on many levels. But it happens over and over, often to people who are not mentally impaired. The world is full of people willing to take advantage of a situation like this. Even worse, they see nothing wrong with it as if it is their money in his pockets.

This is also one of the rare times when structured payments is better than the cash option for a winner...

malin1257's avatarmalin1257

Can you read?  Better yet read again the news story and I mean read every word.  I made my post not only for the statement that you made, but  for all the others that failed to comprehend this man's situation.  Also, don't get your knickers in a knot.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Jan 10, 2014

This whole story is sad on many levels. But it happens over and over, often to people who are not mentally impaired. The world is full of people willing to take advantage of a situation like this. Even worse, they see nothing wrong with it as if it is their money in his pockets.

This is also one of the rare times when structured payments is better than the cash option for a winner...

DM:

Thumbs UpI Agree!Puke>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

story is sad on many levels. This could only happen in A

3rd world country>>>>>>BUTT why does it HAPPEN N

DUSA>>>>>>>>>>>>>????????????????SmileWinkShockedBig SmileConfusedBig SmileConfusedUnhappy

LeavingGroup HugLeaving

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

Quote: Originally posted by MDguy on Jan 10, 2014

Everyone that took advantage of that man should be lined up and kicked in the groin.

I Agree!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Wimmins too?

JoeCanWin

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Jan 10, 2014

It was said in the beginning of the article that the guy was chasing the $500 a week-for-life ticket. NOW, he is chasing the $2,500 a week-for-life ticket. So the guy understands enough about money. Maybe that having money is a good thing. He is probably smart enough to realize $54 a month is peanuts. So he tries to win more by playing the lottery. Then he wins, but he needs help because he has no transportation, or ID. People rip him off, relatives come out of the woodwork, quite normal if you ask me. This is simply (and sadly) what happens when someone wins the lottery. People always seem to need, or want, more money. If I can ask a relative that just won... does that make me a bad person? Just think about that for a minute. We trash relatives that come looking for help, but are the ones that really need money bad, because they need some money also? I know the rip-off relatives are bad news, that is obvious, but that is not what I'm asking here.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

maybe his relatives can help him.Mad

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

There are sooo many things to address with this story that I have to go to bed and get back to it in the morning:

The first thing to blow my mind was: who the F*** goes to a bank to get a cashiers check then take it to a cash checking store to cash it???? and pay $14K in fees to cash a check that could have been cashed for free at the same bank???? (obviously this must have been the cab drivers idea and we all know why)

Reading this was so upsetting i have to log off now and MAYBE get back to it tomorrow.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by WWWBUKTN on Jan 10, 2014

If nothing else I would like to see that Amscot that charged him more than $14,000 in fees investigated.    They had to know something was wrong with him.   That's just disgusting.

That's their standard rate - 4.9% for cashiers checks of more than $5000. Places like that must expect that their customers are on the wrong section of the bell curve, but even if they knew he was mentally incompetent they probably weren't breaking the law against exploiting the disabled since they treated him the same way they would have treated any other customer.

The basic business model is perfectly legal, but mostly dependent on people who are morons, mentally incompetent, or suffering from some other problem that prevents them from finding a more rational solution when they need to cash a check.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by s5thomps on Jan 10, 2014

No Pity!This guy obviously has some mental problems. Why would he pay 14,000.00 to have a  Well's Fargo cashier's check cashed??? That is just plain INSANE!! He should have left the money in his Well's Fargo account and purchased his 1,000.00 dollar money orders at a fraction of the cost. Which also makes me wonder why he felt the need to purchase all those darn money orders in the first place???? Like Forest Gump used to say "Stupid is what Stupid does!" No one to blame but himself!

"This guy obviously has some mental problems."

What tipped you off?

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Sad Story but what a Nice guy spending his money on others Lovies

God sees everything (Jeremiah 17:10) (1 Samuel 16:7)

I hope he does win again it's just money, Thank God he didn't end up like Abraham Shakespeare.

sully16's avatarsully16

Dirtbags.

Yep, that's a dirty rotten shame, Bad Karma when you take advantage, especially the weak , old and sick.

Candlelight777's avatarCandlelight777

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolHits on Jan 10, 2014

Why is anyone criticizing the winner? Do you people not have any level of reading comprehension? He is mentally ill and can't make proper choices for himself, that's why he was living in an assisted living facility. Scamming the government? For what, the $54 dollars a month? You who criticize him aren't grasping the fact that we aren't dealing with someone who understands normal reasoning. He doesn't have the mental capacity that you, supposedly, have. Good grief.

I Agree!

SSI and medicaid will not hold this man accountable for his actions either given he is mentally incompetent. They can however shift their focus to the people put in charge of his care.

loonasee2's avatarloonasee2

Money always brings out the SUCKERS ,.....................BLOODSUCKERS that is.Aleast he will see his family members more often ,...them keeping tabs on him,...so they won't miss a penny.And these fees at banks are out of control,Its all about money these days.yikes

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by loonasee2 on Jan 11, 2014

Money always brings out the SUCKERS ,.....................BLOODSUCKERS that is.Aleast he will see his family members more often ,...them keeping tabs on him,...so they won't miss a penny.And these fees at banks are out of control,Its all about money these days.yikes

The $14,000 cash checking fee is because he went to a "check cashing" place.  Had he left the money in Wells Fargo he could have withdrawn money as he needed or wanted and there would have been no fees.

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Jan 11, 2014

There are sooo many things to address with this story that I have to go to bed and get back to it in the morning:

The first thing to blow my mind was: who the F*** goes to a bank to get a cashiers check then take it to a cash checking store to cash it???? and pay $14K in fees to cash a check that could have been cashed for free at the same bank???? (obviously this must have been the cab drivers idea and we all know why)

Reading this was so upsetting i have to log off now and MAYBE get back to it tomorrow.

better yet why didn't he just go to the counter and ask to withdraw cash from his account? makes no sense.

canyon

For those that are criticizing the winner, you definitely didn't comprehend the story!  The man is mentally challenged!  Everyone that took money or benefited from this man should be investigated.  Do you not know what mentally challenged is?  None of his actions make sense to a normal person; I assume like the people that posted here!  It is very obvious to me and apparently to the people that posted here that his actions were out of this world INSANE!  So how would you say, as 1 person posted, that he write a book?  I guess that would be with someone extracting the details out of him?  People come on!!!!  The man was taken advantage of by everybody including the cab driver and the check cashing place; even though they may have been in their rights!!!  Who shows up to a check cashing place trying to cash a check, money order, or whatever for several hundred thousands of dollars?  Or even several thousands of dollars?  Come on, people please!!!  Even the Judge said that she was trying to help the man avoid penalties for his benefits!!!  So what are you, smarter than the Judge???  Take a back seat and re-evaluate your life!  KARMA IS SOMETHING ELSE!!!

LottoBux's avatarLottoBux

Quote: Originally posted by s5thomps on Jan 10, 2014

"Which also makes me wonder why he felt the need to purchase all those darn money orders in the first place"

"There are certain income and resource restrictions in order for you to be eligible for the benefits," says Patti Patterson, a Social Security Administration spokesperson. "So you can only have so much in the bank."

By Purchasing The Money Orders,The Money Would Not Be In His Account,Where It Would Jeopardize His Eligibility.

I Wonder How Much Money The Cab Driver Charged Ramsey For All Of His Help.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by canyon on Jan 11, 2014

For those that are criticizing the winner, you definitely didn't comprehend the story!  The man is mentally challenged!  Everyone that took money or benefited from this man should be investigated.  Do you not know what mentally challenged is?  None of his actions make sense to a normal person; I assume like the people that posted here!  It is very obvious to me and apparently to the people that posted here that his actions were out of this world INSANE!  So how would you say, as 1 person posted, that he write a book?  I guess that would be with someone extracting the details out of him?  People come on!!!!  The man was taken advantage of by everybody including the cab driver and the check cashing place; even though they may have been in their rights!!!  Who shows up to a check cashing place trying to cash a check, money order, or whatever for several hundred thousands of dollars?  Or even several thousands of dollars?  Come on, people please!!!  Even the Judge said that she was trying to help the man avoid penalties for his benefits!!!  So what are you, smarter than the Judge???  Take a back seat and re-evaluate your life!  KARMA IS SOMETHING ELSE!!!

""The man was taken advantage of by everybody including the cab driver and the check cashing place""

That was the point i was trying to make. Not that he was stupid/dumb, but rather that he was taken advantage of. I certainly was not critizing the guy as its clear he has a deminished mental capacity. It was just such a bizzare story to read. The cab driver and the check cashing people are dirty f***ers. The family coming around is neither strange or surprising, that would happen to ALL of us. Arent there limits to the amount one can cah at those stores?? Did anyone.....including Wells Fargo submit a SAR report?? This guy really had no chance because of his mental accuity, but investigations should be initiated towards the check cashing store, the cab driver and to a far lesser extent Wells Fargo if they did not submit a SAR report.

I think of all the bad lottery stories out there, this one got me the angriest. Not sure why. No one died or anything but this one really really got me pissed.

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Jan 11, 2014

Sad Story but what a Nice guy spending his money on others Lovies

God sees everything (Jeremiah 17:10) (1 Samuel 16:7)

I hope he does win again it's just money, Thank God he didn't end up like Abraham Shakespeare.

So true.

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBux on Jan 11, 2014

"Which also makes me wonder why he felt the need to purchase all those darn money orders in the first place"

By Purchasing The Money Orders,The Money Would Not Be In His Account,Where It Would Jeopardize His Eligibility.

I Wonder How Much Money The Cab Driver Charged Ramsey For All Of His Help.

yes but the money was already in his account.  and the money was claimed in his name.  So it doesn't matter if he put it into money orders or not it was still claimed using his SSN.

ochoop17

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolHits on Jan 10, 2014

I Agree!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

I know he doesn't get that having the courts decide he needs a guardian to help him is a good thing, I know he only sees it as them taking away his money. But all I could think of reading this was at least he won't end up like Mr. Shakespeare. Chances are he won't get poisoned or shot or done away with in some other nefarious way.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky4Life on Jan 10, 2014

Why, oh why, in God's name does the Lottery Fairy give it to this guy? All of us here are have laid out plans and lawyers picked out and trusts mentally prepared.  and this guy, who clearly doesn't know much more than how to bathe himself, wins it and buys ...SHOES?!?! 

Maybe i'm just bitter.  I know some of you have heard me say it before....the market changed, my pay was cut drastically i'm back in school for a career change but i'm one medical emergency from losing my house.  With 400K i could have paid off my house, vehicles and put my kids through school.  Just makes no sense to me.  and kills me.  absolutely. kills. me.

Yep. I was definitely thinking it. I've said it before: if you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of properly managing money, you stand a much better chance of winning the lottery.

Once you have it all worked out, know who to hire, how to invest, how to spend/how not to spend, you can buy tickets until the cows come home, you aren't winning the jackpot. Seems you need to be mentally impaired, be a deadbeat father, or have some kind of addiction  to win it big. Okay, that might be an exaggeration but iit definitely seems that way sometimes...a lot of the time.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

I would have taken the $500/week for life.

mamamary517's avatarmamamary517

For someone who is supposed to be mentally ill he sure did a good job of knowing to but the scratch off...he knew he won....he knew enough not to show the ticket to the clerk he probably didn't trust ...he knew to go to the cab driver and ask what to do to claim it...he knew how to take a bus and get his birth certificate ...he knew where to go and get his ID card....he knew to open the bank account for direct deposit....and he knew enough to take a cab to claim it at the lottery.......and then he knew enough to ask for the lump sum cash payout......he knew to get money orders....and he knew to go buy more scatch offs with the bigger prize!!!!!!  Give me a break this guy knows exactly how to play the system......he is just like most winners.......greedy, spending all the money on themselves and family......

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by mamamary517 on Jan 11, 2014

For someone who is supposed to be mentally ill he sure did a good job of knowing to but the scratch off...he knew he won....he knew enough not to show the ticket to the clerk he probably didn't trust ...he knew to go to the cab driver and ask what to do to claim it...he knew how to take a bus and get his birth certificate ...he knew where to go and get his ID card....he knew to open the bank account for direct deposit....and he knew enough to take a cab to claim it at the lottery.......and then he knew enough to ask for the lump sum cash payout......he knew to get money orders....and he knew to go buy more scatch offs with the bigger prize!!!!!!  Give me a break this guy knows exactly how to play the system......he is just like most winners.......greedy, spending all the money on themselves and family......

The voices in his head told him what to do.

Shelby Mustang

I couldnt even finish reading the story. It sounds like he was a combination of Abraham shakespear and Dave Edwards

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Jan 11, 2014

I would have taken the $500/week for life.

I Agree!   I Agree!   I Agree!  I Agree!

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Its the great mystery of the Universe Lucky. I think of this stuff ALL the time. Why? Why? Why? Its some sort of cruel humor. Some win...loose their tickets. Some win....forget to check their numbers. Some win......have no idea how to manage their new found fortune. Some win......Drugs, Broke, Death. Some win....and win again. You really can't make this stuff up.

And then there's us....waiting, praying, waiting, trying, keep buying, and waiting, and hoping....

You really cant make this stuff up. Good luck all.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by Shelby Mustang on Jan 11, 2014

I couldnt even finish reading the story. It sounds like he was a combination of Abraham shakespear and Dave Edwards

Same same. This is like my 4th post and i still havent fiished reading it, i simply could'nt. I will eventually though.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I hear ya brother

It seems only you and I are the ones to feel the agony of defeat.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

cuz lady luck is a blind bitch

Wow ain't this the truth!  Some people buy one ticket and win the jackpot.......I try to win, I crunch numbers, I check others predictions, I pray, I spend a lot of money buying a bunch of chances for a dollar and a dream...nothing............little hits here and there but thats it.  I guess I have to become dysfunctional or an addict or something, maybe quit my job....lol.

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

It's really sad that no one (family) had any time for him when he was put there, but now the money came in, there they are, hands out! Puke

Its the great mystery of the Universe Lucky. I think of this stuff ALL the time. Why? Why? Why? Its some sort of cruel humor. Some win...loose their tickets. Some win....forget to check their numbers. Some win......have no idea how to manage their new found fortune. Some win......Drugs, Broke, Death. Some win....and win again. You really can't make this stuff up.

And then there's us....waiting, praying, waiting, trying, keep buying, and waiting, and hoping....

It's like the game Clue the mystery of trying to figure out who done it?

I think the Cab driver

Makes one believe the Universe truly is random.  UGH

Good luck to you too.

Angel19's avatarAngel19

I Agree!

JezzVim

If you ever hit it big?   SAY NOTHING!! 

DO NOT TELL ANYONE BUT YOUR MATE.   

Unless your mate has a big mouth, then don't tell them. 

Get lost quickly, not leaving a trace.

Move to another state.

Call Mayflower to pack your belongings and ship them to you.

Legally change your name.

And most of all..... have a plan in place just in time for the win.

Quote: Originally posted by JezzVim on Jan 13, 2014

If you ever hit it big?   SAY NOTHING!! 

DO NOT TELL ANYONE BUT YOUR MATE.   

Unless your mate has a big mouth, then don't tell them. 

Get lost quickly, not leaving a trace.

Move to another state.

Call Mayflower to pack your belongings and ship them to you.

Legally change your name.

And most of all..... have a plan in place just in time for the win.

I would follow your advice except for calling Mayflower.....If I hit it big enough to disappear I would not call Mayflower...I would leave all my old stuff and start fresh.

Quote: Originally posted by mamamary517 on Jan 13, 2014

I would follow your advice except for calling Mayflower.....If I hit it big enough to disappear I would not call Mayflower...I would leave all my old stuff and start fresh.

My husband is currently in the process of losing about 20 pounds to join the Navy.  I told him when we PCS i am leaving all of this crap here and start over in the new house lol

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jan 12, 2014

cuz lady luck is a blind bitch

you said it!

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky4Life on Jan 13, 2014

My husband is currently in the process of losing about 20 pounds to join the Navy.  I told him when we PCS i am leaving all of this crap here and start over in the new house lol

My ex-wife once lost 185 lbs. of ugly fat.

She divorced me. 

She took all her crap and over half of mine when she left, too.

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Jan 14, 2014

She divorced me. 

Green laugh

sully16's avatarsully16

Karma will get them

mystical parrot's avatarmystical parrot

To me, this was the most disturbing part of the whole article- "He says he wanted the cash, but by taking it all he is in danger of losing the government benefits he has relied on to survive."   That is just abuse of the system plain and simple.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

PartyQuick Pick gas STATIONParty

MGM>>>>>>>>>this is the kinda place Psyko has been search'n 4 all my

life,,,but>>>>>>>thank GOD Mr. Malcolm Ramsey found D MONEY place

Psyko alway's KNEW>IT>EXISTED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$

BUTT>>>>>>>>and there i$ alway's a BUTT>>>>>>>out>>>>DARE!

We>You>Me>>must keep on SEARCH'n$$!

1.              HyperHyperHyperHyperHyperDrumHyperHyperHyperHyperHyper
TNPATL

How were lottery officials to know he was mentally ill, and had a guardian helping him with financial matters?  This situation is not the man who won fault.  He did the best he could considering he's mentally ill.  It's also not the Florida lottery officials fault. This is simply an unforntunate situation.  The only people who should be ashamed are the ones who took advantage of Ramsey!!!  They should be ashamed, but sadly they're not.  They got what they wanted out of him.  One day they will pay the price for their actions.

TNPATL

Quote: Originally posted by Slick Nick on Jan 12, 2014

It's really sad that no one (family) had any time for him when he was put there, but now the money came in, there they are, hands out! Puke

Exactly.  It's very, very sad.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Jan 14, 2014

She divorced me. 

LOL you so crazy....Big Grin

Gambler4Life's avatarGambler4Life

This is a tragi-comedy!  I found it both sad and uproariously hilarious....and such is life.  This guy obviously won because he is not desperate, so Law of Attraction matched his desire to win and...VOILA!  Not to worry, he will win again.  You definitely learn who your true friends are when you win.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jan 17, 2014

LOL you so crazy....Big Grin

I think that's why she divorced me.

Six balls

And the fact that the court stepped in to protect him probably registered to him as the government stealing his money, ergo even more paranoia in the future.

I think his family ought to be beaten and boiled in oil.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story