Man's ex-wife wins lottery and makes him a millionaire

Jan 24, 2014, 5:57 pm (49 comments)

UK National Lottery

Milkman John Hay reckons his ex-wife is the cream of the crop — after she made him a millionaire when she scooped the Lotto jackpot.

Doreen Hay was married to John for 12 years until they divorced in 1987 after "growing apart".

But they stayed best of friends, meeting up every week for Sunday lunch.

So when Doreen, 70, and their son John Jr., 38, scooped £7.5 million in the UK's Lotto game, she called her ex immediately.

John, 59, said: "When she rang after the win I was thrilled for her. It never crossed my mind she'd give any to me.

"It is typical of Doreen's generosity that she's thought of everyone else before herself.

"She has been such a great friend. We've got on better than we did when we were married. I have never needed anyone else when I have her as a friend."

John, who earns £20,000 a year, is getting half a million from Doreen and the same amount from his winner son.

He has been out on his round as usual but admitted he will soon be doing his last.

He said: "I've been on my milk round now for 30 years and I've enjoyed it.

"My thoughts were turning to retirement but I didn't think I'd be able to do it for quite some time.

"Doreen's changed all that and I really don't know how to thank her."

The pair met almost 40 years ago when they worked at a restaurant together.

He said: "I was over the moon when she agreed to go out with me but we grew apart as man and wife. Still there's no one I'd rather spend my time with than Doreen."

The mum-of-two, of Thornaby, Teesside, still lives in the same area as her ex.

She said: "I see him every week for Sunday lunch. He does a lovely dinner.

"If it is nice we go away for days. We have such a good relationship."

Doreen is a Liverpool fan, and she may treat herself to her first visit to Anfield.

But despite her love of day trips, John Jr., of nearby Billingham, said: "We won't be getting her on a plane anywhere soon. She does not do holidays abroad."

In contrast, he plans to travel the world with partner Susan and three stepchildren Daniel, 22, Joseph, 11, and Aimee, nine.

Generous Doreen is giving away a total of £1.5 million between John, her three grandchildren, seven surviving siblings and the charities Help for Heroes, WaterAid, Save The Children and Breakthrough Breast Cancer, as well as a local hospice.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to myturn for the tip.

Mirror

Comments

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Very impressive and generous. Kudos to all of them for setting an example of being humble.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Great Stuff!!! That's what its all about right there!!!

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

That my friends is a TRUE FRIEND...      Good story.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

This goes to show that money merely enhances who you are already, on the inside. Congrats to all, you are showing a very good example. Forgiveness is a very beautiful thing if you can handle it.

myturn's avatarmyturn

I have a feeling the money will not last. I do hope they have got independent professional financial advice. It is a lot of money, but if you don't spend and or invest it wisely, it can be badly depleted of disappear altogether.

Good luck to them and hope they invest most of it for the future.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

She was 30 & he was 19 when they met. 40 years ago such a pairing was rare. Nowadays we have cougars and cubs and everything you can think of. Anyways It's good they remained friends especially for him. I wonder if he'll be taxed heavily for this gift.

ecnirP's avatarecnirP

Very classy. Thumbs Up

What a contrast to the lottery winner who dumped her husband for the Audi salesman.

mamamary517's avatarmamamary517

Great story.  Finally a nice person wins! LOL

Is that beer n water side by side? What gives? What?

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Jan 24, 2014

That my friends is a TRUE FRIEND...      Good story.

I Agree!  GREAT STORY it is always good to share Love

Quote: Originally posted by ecnirP on Jan 24, 2014

Very classy. Thumbs Up

What a contrast to the lottery winner who dumped her husband for the Audi salesman.

Thumbs UpI Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Jan 24, 2014

This goes to show that money merely enhances who you are already, on the inside. Congrats to all, you are showing a very good example. Forgiveness is a very beautiful thing if you can handle it.

Congratulations  Party

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Jan 24, 2014

AMEN!!!! so true, so true! Yes Nod

mjoyg1123's avatarmjoyg1123

She is going straight to heaven!Big Grin Angel

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jan 24, 2014

Is that beer n water side by side? What gives? What?

It's for the Tea and Biscuits.

Shelby Mustang

What a cute story

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jan 24, 2014

It's for the Tea and Biscuits.

Oh cool.

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Awesome!  Awesome!  Awesome!

I love hearing stories like this.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

It appears the ex-wife still wears her wedding ring. The friendship they now have is indeed stronger than what they experienced during their marriage and it's quite refreshing to see such a random act of kindness.

The 7.5 million pound jackpot is comparable to the cash value of a PB/MM $40 million jackpot as all three would net a tad over $12 million. 

With a sensible plan, this windfall should take care of her and her son for pretty much the rest of their lives.

sully16's avatarsully16

Doreen, you sound like a real nice lady, Congrats.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

She looks like she is a lot of fun. She will enjoy every dollar and share an equal dollar as well.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

How come none of my ex-wives can ever be like that?

They're all foaming-at-the-mouth and trying to kill me all the time.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Jan 24, 2014

I have a feeling the money will not last. I do hope they have got independent professional financial advice. It is a lot of money, but if you don't spend and or invest it wisely, it can be badly depleted of disappear altogether.

""I have a feeling the money will not last. I do hope they have got independent professional financial advice. It is a lot of money, but if you don't spend and or invest it wisely, it can be badly depleted of disappear altogether""

What on earth are you talking about?????? You mean to tell me that you read a such a rare and beautiful lottery story and this is the point you wish to make? This was what you got from the story?? Unbelievable!!!!! Boooooo!!!!

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 24, 2014

Dang Ridge. Just what did you do to those wimmins to make them hate you so much?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jan 24, 2014

Dang Ridge. Just what did you do to those wimmins to make them hate you so much?

It was the strangest thing.

I'd stay out all night and come home the next day and they'd be mad at me. 

So to give them a little space and time to cool off, I'd stay out another night.

I'd come home the next day and they were still mad at me.

So I'd stay out again to give them time to cool off.

I'd come home the next day and they were still mad.

It got to the point that I'd stay out the whole dadgum week so they could calm down and when I came home they were STILL mad at me!

Ain't no man in the world can get along with crazy wimmins like that!

Green laugh

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

It's nice they remained friends all these years and that she shared.Yes Nod

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

LOL

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Feel good lottery stories are rare. Congrats to them.

Aleon's avatarAleon

Quote: Originally posted by Shelby Mustang on Jan 24, 2014

What a cute story

I Agree!

Candlelight777's avatarCandlelight777

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 24, 2014

Very impressive and generous. Kudos to all of them for setting an example of being humble.

I Agree!

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

This is a lesson for pedro the silly new jersey powerball winner treating people nice and fair and happy openly is good and better than hiding millions in dominican republic and acting dumb like you don't know where you hide it . Learn here amigo. Lol

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Jan 24, 2014

You maybe right it won't last but i can bet you it will outlast thoes that won over $300,000,000 like silly Pedro

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Nice!

Im making my ex a millionaire too! It's just not from the lottery.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 24, 2014

Agree Thumbs Up

Astekblue's avatarAstekblue

ROFL      Green laugh

Hang   In   There    Ridge

Astekblue's avatarAstekblue

It was the strangest thing.

I'd stay out all night and come home the next day and they'd be mad at me. 

So to give them a little space and time to cool off, I'd stay out another night.

I'd come home the next day and they were still mad at me.

So I'd stay out again to give them time to cool off.

I'd come home the next day and they were still mad.

It got to the point that I'd stay out the whole dadgum week so they could calm down and when I came home they were STILL mad at me!

Ain't no man in the world can get along with crazy wimmins like that!

LOL

That  is  truely  hard  to  understand  Ridge   

Especially   after  you  had  so  much  patience  with  them

By   staying  away  all  them  times  till   they  cooled   down   Smile

ttech10's avatarttech10

Glad this story didn't turn out how I imagined it from the title... that the man sued or some crazy law said he was owed half.

Very generous woman and congratuations to all of them!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I agree Ridge. My ex-wife told me she doesn't give a dam about me so I doubt if she would give me a million dollars if she hit the jackpot.

In fact my relationships usually start out well with "Hi baby how you doing?"

Then end up with "will the defendant please rise".

charmed7's avatarcharmed7

What great story. Cant say i feel the same about my ex-husband

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Quote: Originally posted by charmed7 on Jan 26, 2014

What great story. Cant say i feel the same about my ex-husband

Holy crap! Is that you MKV? Your post and signature is something my ex-wife would say. Anybody can put where they are from.

TNPATL

What a sweet story.  One you don't see often.

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Looks like it pay$ to be nice !

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

The operative phrase in this story is "they remained best of friends.  I would say quality of friendship is more important than legal relationship status. This is only newsworthy because most formerly married couples DO NOT remain best friends or even friends for that matter.

I seriously feel that my lucky day is coming and I just got divorced about a month ago. Although I would be inclined to do a small nice gesture for my ex, she could not expect anything large like this since she does not support playing the lottery. My logical opinion is that if you cannot support playing the lottery, then you cannot benefit from any of the winnings.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jan 26, 2014

I agree Ridge. My ex-wife told me she doesn't give a dam about me so I doubt if she would give me a million dollars if she hit the jackpot.

In fact my relationships usually start out well with "Hi baby how you doing?"

Then end up with "will the defendant please rise".

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, golfmeister.

And most of mine never even got scorned at all.

I was just enhancing the culture of Tennessee wimmins by teaching them the Texas Two-Step.

And that's not an easy thing to do neither.

Sometimes it takes all night.

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

Now thats a true winner.   At least it wasn't wasted on a bicycle.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations to Doreen and John Jr. Hay on your tidy £7.5 million UK jackpot win!  It is very thoughtful of each of you to give John Sr. £1 million combined!

Group Hug

John Sr., please don't squander this money gift from your family.  This £1 million is certainly not enough to retire BEFORE age 66, or even take your current young family on a long, expensive trip!  I hope your current family can talk you into, instead, taking merely a 5-day mid-priced family vacation within your own continent and investing the rest to receive at least Net 4% annual interest from an no-risk investment for the following 30 years.

Dupe Alert

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jan 27, 2014

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, golfmeister.

And most of mine never even got scorned at all.

I was just enhancing the culture of Tennessee wimmins by teaching them the Texas Two-Step.

And that's not an easy thing to do neither.

Sometimes it takes all night.

Hahaha...Green laugh

You're the man Ridge.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Jan 28, 2014

Now thats a true winner.   At least it wasn't wasted on a bicycle.

Buying a bicycle is a lot more reasonable than purchasing a private jet.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story