6 South Floridians become lottery millionaires in January

Jan 31, 2014, 8:48 am (37 comments)

Florida Lottery

By Nick Sortal

Six of our fellow South Floridians got lucky in January — they all became millionaires playing the lottery.

And that's twice as many big wins as we usually have. Last year about 2.5 winners a month came from Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade counties.

January's newly minted millionaires were: a $12 million Lotto winner in Tamarac, a $3 million scratch-off winner in Miami Beach, a $2 million Mega Money winner in Miami and a $1 million scratch-off winner in Greenacres. Two others are millionaires over time: One scratch-off player won $2,500 a week for life and another won $1,000 a week.

But they aren't the only South Floridians in the money. We've also had two $500,000 winners: a Lauderhill woman who played Monopoly scratch-off and a Miami woman hitting Mega Money.

So why the sudden fortunes? One reason is a switch in games played, said Florida Lottery Secretary Cynthia O'Connell. Florida Lotto and Powerball used to attract about 80 percent of South Floridians' lottery spending, she said. Now scratch-offs are evenly split with Florida Lotto and Powerball. Scratch-off games don't often yield multimillion dollar jackpots, but the odds of hitting $1 million are better.

"As a result, we are seeing more winners, increased sales for South Florida businesses and more revenue for the state's education system," O'Connell said.

So what does a numbers guy make of our good luck? Jason Gershman, an associate professor of mathematics and statistics at Nova Southeastern University, agrees that six millionaires in a month certainly falls outside the norm.

But he cautions against concepts such as "hot streak" in random events, such as lotteries.

"A 'hot streak' such as this would be an illusion since true hot streaks don't occur mathematically," Gershman said. "No one area or one point of sale would be any hotter or colder than any other.

"There's no mathematical guarantee that more prizes will be paid out over the next few weeks and no mathematical guarantee that fewer prizes will be paid out [to compensate for the recent wins]."

Last year, the entire state produced 100 millionaires: 49 for Powerball, 28 scratch-offs, 10 Mega Money, seven Florida Lotto and six Mega Millions winners. About 30 of them were from Broward, Palm Beach or Miami-Dade counties.

Powerball has not had a South Florida winner since 2012. And Mega Millions, which launched here in May, has yet to yield the top jackpot to a Floridian.

The state keeps 50 percent of ticket sales from Powerball and Florida Lotto. In scratch-offs, players win 70 percent and 30 percent goes to the state. Statewide, scratch-off sales account for about 57 percent of all lottery sales.

Sun-Sentinel

Comments

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Way to start the new year. Congrats to all.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to all the winners.....Hurray!

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

I hope to be one in February. This is why I tell people to support their state lottery instead of only chasing Powerball and Mega Millions.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Thud

I knew that I should have moved to Florida!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jan 31, 2014

Thud

I knew that I should have moved to Florida!

I hear ya Poly but your day is coming soon! Hang in there brother! I know you want to move to Vero Beach! I'm going to either Orlando, Miami or Vero. Yes Nod

fun in the florida sun

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Congrats to all. I hope to be one soon too.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

6 within 30 days of the new year.....SWWWWWWEEEET.....and just in 1 state

Hope all they naysayers are reading and paying attention. You, that focus on the odds can continue to do so, on the other hand, I will look at all the potential and be happy that I  have as good of a chance in my state as they did in theirs.

Gotta like it.

Hope we have an LP'er who wins big, soon !

sully16's avatarsully16

That is a great way to start the new year, Congrats to all the winners.Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 31, 2014

6 within 30 days of the new year.....SWWWWWWEEEET.....and just in 1 state

Hope all they naysayers are reading and paying attention. You, that focus on the odds can continue to do so, on the other hand, I will look at all the potential and be happy that I  have as good of a chance in my state as they did in theirs.

Gotta like it.

Hope we have an LP'er who wins big, soon !

I Agree! Someone will win regardless of the odds.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Their profits will be huge this year. It takes alot of players to get 6 winners.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I bet most of 'em were bought at Publix.

I'm gonna make a pilgrimage to the one way out in Knoxville one of these days.

Then I'll win for sure.

It's a lock.

Shelby Mustang

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Feb 1, 2014

I bet most of 'em were bought at Publix.

I'm gonna make a pilgrimage to the one way out in Knoxville one of these days.

Then I'll win for sure.

It's a lock.

Not a bad idea sir, wasnt that old lady who won in FLORIDA who won the biggest PB jackpot bought hers at a Publix??

Florida now has 7 millionaires in the month of January. Last night Florida had the only 5+0 winner in Mega Millions.

PaScratchAddict

Wonder how Pennsylvania compares anyone know?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Shelby Mustang on Feb 1, 2014

Not a bad idea sir, wasnt that old lady who won in FLORIDA who won the biggest PB jackpot bought hers at a Publix??

Yep, and a lot more Floridelphians have won large prizes with tickets bought at Publix stores.

It's almost like a guaranteed jackpot when you buy a ticket there. Wink

It's a nice chain of food stores though.

In fact, I was thinking about test-marketing my Gourmet Squirrel Dip there and contacted them about it a couple years or so ago.

I told them about the big extravaganza I have all planned out for the regional debut with balloons and a squirrel petting cage and free samples and everything.

They said they were real busy and they'd have to get back to me on that later sometime.

So they're probably still real busy right now.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Feb 2, 2014

Yep, and a lot more Floridelphians have won large prizes with tickets bought at Publix stores.

In fact, I was thinking about test-marketing my Gourmet Squirrel Dip there and contacted them about it a couple years or so ago.

I told them about the big extravaganza I have all planned out for the regional debut with balloons and a squirrel petting cage and free samples and everything.

They said they were real busy and they'd have to get back to me on that later sometime.

You're marketing strategy is slightly off. If you rename it to Gator dip without telling them what's in it, you may have a potential best seller.

I see they had another two winners.Crazy

Last night Florida added 2 more millionaires. February is off to a good start.

PaScratchAddict

I mentioned this thread on P.a lotteries facebook page and asked them how many millionaires did they make, they said 10 in January. Hmmm.....

Florida had a 5+0 Powerball winner last night. So far Powerball has made 3 lucky players millionaires this month.

2 Lucky Florida players won $1 million in Powerball last night. Sp far Florida has made 5 people millionaires this month.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Feb 16, 2014

2 Lucky Florida players won $1 million in Powerball last night. Sp far Florida has made 5 people millionaires this month.

That's awesome thanks for posting the info Party

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

All these lucky individuals who won $1 million prizes are only "millionaires" in the eyes of the media. In reality they come up short several hundred thousand dollars after the mob Government gets their cut.

Most lottery winners in the U.S needs to win a prize that has a cash value of at least $1.7 million in order to net a million dollars. In most other countries, the advertised prize is what the winner gets...no taxes, no annuity option and no B.S.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Feb 16, 2014

All these lucky individuals who won $1 million prizes are only "millionaires" in the eyes of the media. In reality they come up short several hundred thousand dollars after the mob Government gets their cut.

Most lottery winners in the U.S needs to win a prize that has a cash value of at least $1.7 million in order to net a million dollars. In most other countries, the advertised prize is what the winner gets...no taxes, no annuity option and no B.S.

Taxes are a pain.

1 lucky player from Florida matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize. 6 millionaires so far in Ferbruary.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Feb 19, 2014

1 lucky player from Florida matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize. 6 millionaires so far in Ferbruary.

Probably some ole geezer who lives in a trailor and went to Publix to get his cat some food, saw that prunes and metamucil were on sale, spent the extra on a lottery ticket !!!! Now look, he can update to a doublewide and get an extra cat.   Puke

I know, I know, I am in trouble for that one, but I couldn't resist  ROFL

Florida did not win the $400 million Powerball jackpot, but 2 lucky players matched 5+0 for $1,000,000 bringing the millionaire total to 8 for the month of February. Surpassing the 7 millionaires for January.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Feb 20, 2014

Florida did not win the $400 million Powerball jackpot, but 2 lucky players matched 5+0 for $1,000,000 bringing the millionaire total to 8 for the month of February. Surpassing the 7 millionaires for January.

Another $2 million dollar winner this week in Texas !!!!  soooooo HA  Naughty

I did'nt know Fla lotto had a race car in the Daytona. Dave Blaney and the No. 7 Florida Lottery Chevrolet SS team will return from Daytona International Speedway feeling like a winner after a 17th-place finish in the Great American Race.

DEERFIELD BEACH MAN CLAIMS $1.3 MILLION MEGA MONEY™ JACKPOT

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery announces that Monroe Bostic, Jr., 59, of Deerfield Beach, claimed the February 18, 2014, MEGA MONEY™ jackpot of $1.3 million at Florida Lottery headquarters in Tallahassee. He chose the one-time, lump-sum payment option for his winnings, in the amount of $990,652.65.

ALABAMA MAN WINS $3 MILLION GOLD RUSH TRIPLER SCRATCH-OFF PRIZE

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery announces that Marcus Knowles, 36, of Atmore, Alabama, claimed a $3 million prize in the GOLD RUSH TRIPLER Scratch-Off game at Florida Lottery headquarters in Tallahassee.

FLORIDA CITY MAN WINS $5 MILLION PLAYING 100X THE CASH SCRATCH-OFF GAME

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery announces that Larry Rogers, 58, of Florida City, claimed a $5 million top prize in the 100X THE CASH Scratch-Off game at Florida Lottery headquarters in Tallahassee. Rogers chose to receive the winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $3,483,318.

*Florida Lottery has been on a roll this month.

Astekblue's avatarAstekblue

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Feb 2, 2014

LOL

Ridge  ,    whenever  you  get  that   Gourmet  Squirrel   Dip    project  up  and  running  good , I would like to be your main sales rep in the state  of  Ky.

I  would work cheap , in fact , you dont have to pay me  , as I will work just for the  Gourmet  Squirrel   Dip  itself 

I  love  that  stuff    Smile

I am looking  forward  to dropping  down  to  that  big  extravaganza  with all the balloons  and the squirrel petting  cage  and  everything

Sounds like a fine  time   ( be  sure and keep the  squirrels  in the squirrel petting  cage  fed  good )

Wouldnt want anyone losing a finger or two ( which might fall in the dip )  and  mess  everything  up    Smile

There was no jackpot winner in the Friday, March 14, 2014 Mega Millions drawing but 1 lucky Florida player matched the first 5 numbers with the megaplier for a $3,000,000 prize.

Florida split the $400 million Mega Millions jackpot last night with Maryland. Also, 2 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize from Florida.

FLORIDA HAS ITS FIRST MEGA MILLIONS® JACKPOT WINNER! ~ Florida Player to Split $414 Million Jackpot ~

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery today announced that one lucky player matched all five numbers and the Mega Ball in the Tuesday, March 18, MEGA MILLIONS® drawing and will split the $414 million jackpot with one other winner who purchased their ticket in Maryland.

The winning MEGA MILLIONS numbers were: 11-19-24-33-51and the Mega Ball was 7. The Megaplier® was 3. The jackpot-winning Quick Pick ticket was sold at Sunoco, located at 600 S. Courtenay Parkway in Merritt Island. The retailer will receive a $100,000 bonus commission. Florida also had two other $1 million winners in last night's drawing. The $1 million winning tickets were purchased at Publix, located at 13390 Perdido Key Drive in Pensacola and at Publix, located at 415 21st Street in Vero Beach. Those retailers will each receive a $1,000 bonus.

"We are thrilled to have our first MEGA MILLIONS jackpot winner within the first year of Florida joining the game," said Florida Lottery Secretary Cynthia O'Connell. "Beyond the excitement of meeting the winner to award this prize, we are very proud that Florida ticket sales from this jackpot generated $16.9 million in revenue for education programs in the state."

SUNRISE MAN CLAIMS $12 MILLION FLORIDA LOTTO® JACKPOT

TALLAHASSEE -  The Florida Lottery announces that The Rolgini Revocable Trust claimed the $12 million FLORIDA LOTTO®  jackpot from the drawing held on January 18, 2014. Trustee Delroy Reid, 49, of Sunrise, chose to receive his winnings in one-time, lump-sum payment of $7,641,141.91.

Reid purchased his jackpot-winning ticket at Vic Sunoco, located at 8291 North University Drive in Tamarac. The retailer received a bonus commission of $50,000 for selling the jackpot-winning FLORIDA LOTTO ticket. Total ticket sales for this jackpot generated more than $10 million for the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund (EETF).

OAKLAND PARK TEACHER CLAIMS $3 MILLION MEGA MILLIONS® PRIZE

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery announces that Susanne Winebrenner, 55, of Oakland Park, claimed a $3 million MEGA MILLIONS® prize from the drawing held on Friday, March 14, 2014. The winning ticket matched all five of the white ball numbers, which were 07-20-40-54-69, but did not match the Mega Ball, which was 12.

Winebrenner purchased her winning ticket from USA Food Store, located at 1040 West Prospect Road in Oakland Park. The retailer received a $2,000 bonus commission for selling the $3 million MEGA MILLIONS ticket.

MICHIGAN MAN CLAIMS $1 MILLION MEGA MILLIONS® PRIZE

TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Lottery announces that Gary Shepherd, 62, of Owosso, Michigan, claimed a $1 million MEGA MILLIONS® prize from the drawing held on Tuesday, March 18, 2014. The winning ticket matched all five of the white ball numbers, which were 11-19-24-33-51, and did not match the Mega Ball, which was 7.

Shepherd always plays the same five numbers for the white balls and interchanges the Mega Ball between 12 and seven, which are numbers in his birthday. For this particular drawing, Shepherd chose 12 for the Mega Ball instead of seven, which was the difference between his $1 million prize and the $414 million jackpot. 

Shepherd purchased his winning ticket from Publix, located at 13390 Perdido Key Drive in Pensacola. The retailer received a $1,000 bonus commission for selling the $1 million MEGA MILLIONS ticket.

Powerball Jackpot Winner!  There was one $150 million jackpot winner from Florida in the Wednesday, April 23, 2014 Powerball drawing.  More details to follow after the winner comes forward to claim their prize.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story