$247 MILLION: Huge Powerball lottery jackpot set for Saturday

Feb 6, 2014, 10:29 am (52 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

Just over a month after the Mega Millions lottery created two mega-millionaires with a gigantic $648 million jackpot, the multi-state Powerball game is back with a jackpot counter-punch worth a whopping $247 million.

The new high-water mark of $247 million for the current Powerball jackpot was achieved after no winning tickets were sold for Wednesday night's $219.6 million grand prize.

The lump-sum cash payout value of Saturday's Powerball jackpot is $142.5 million.  After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.  For example, the original estimate for Wednesday's drawing was $215 million, but by the time all the proceeds were counted just before draw-time, the jackpot had swelled to $219.6 million.

The mammoth prize is the result of 12 consecutive draws without a winner.  The run-up started as a $40 million prize on Dec. 28, 2013.

The winning numbers for Wed., Feb. 5, 2013 were 8, 17, 32, 57, and 59, with Powerball number 24.  The Power Play number was 3.

Even though nobody won the jackpot Wednesday, 3 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from Illinois, 1 from Minnesota, and 1 from South Carolina.

Only one of the second-prize winners purchased the Power Play option — the ticket sold in South Carolina.  Because that ticket was purchased with the Power Play option, their second-prize win is automatically doubled to $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.  By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

35 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 3 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $30,000, and 6 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $7,725 this drawing.

Following the Wednesday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was raised $27.4 million from its previous amount of $219.6 million. The cash value was raised by $15.7 million from its previous amount of $126.8 million.

The next Powerball drawing will take place Saturday night at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

A 44th Powerball state will be added later this year, as the state of Wyoming has approved a new state lottery with the intention of joining Powerball and other multi-state games.  (See Wyoming officially becomes 44th state with a lotteryLottery Post, Mar. 14, 2013.)

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com).  The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

veganlife125's avatarveganlife125

I recon $250 Million is the new standard to get the fever going again.   What house will ya buy?  What Car will ya buy?  Or....in the words of David Lee Roth "I wonder what the teacher is gonna look like this year!?!"  Big Grin

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Time for the fun to begin again. Already got my personal and pool tickets for two draws.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Feb 6, 2014

Time for the fun to begin again. Already got my personal and pool tickets for two draws.

Skeptical its getting thar .......

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

Ha ha!  The usual states that win constantly ain't getting any of my money.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Yep!! Its warming up. Just a little, but its getting warm!!! I hope no winner until March 15 or later.... Smash

Shelby Mustang

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Feb 6, 2014

Yep!! Its warming up. Just a little, but its getting warm!!! I hope no winner until March 15 or later.... Smash

I cant say that, cause I hope someone hit this Saturday....specifcally...me

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Rolling till March 15th huh? You must be hoping for a billion dollar jackpot.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Jester

I'll take this one on Saturday ........ over $80,000,000 after Federal Seizure!

lejardin's avatarlejardin

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Feb 6, 2014

Jester

Excellent description hahahahaha federal seizure, how appropriate.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Jester

LOLOL @ dp

silly boy, its for redistribution and debt reductionPuke

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 6, 2014

Rolling till March 15th huh? You must be hoping for a billion dollar jackpot.

You know it!!!!! Banana

RedStang's avatarRedStang

It will take 400mill to get the champagne flowing. The big mega has killed the frenzy excitement.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 6, 2014

It will take 400mill to get the champagne flowing. The big mega has killed the frenzy excitement.

I Agree! With jackpot fatigue, the national news won't feature it for a while yet.

$247M? Meh... Wake me when it's over $400M. Sleep

At the extremely slow rate of sales for PB at the start of this year, that won't be for a couple weeks more. Especially if this winter weather continues.

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

One ticket. I'm in for just one ticket. With Powerplay. 

Multiple tickets for Ohio Lottery at $59.6 mil, and Michigan Lottery right across state line not too far at $3 mil. Either work just fine. And much better odds.

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Feb 6, 2014

Multiple tickets for Ohio Lottery at $59.6 mil, and Michigan Lottery right across state line not too far at $3 mil. Either work just fine. And much better odds.

Nobodys won Ohio classic Lotto yet!? I cant remember when the last time it was won, is it a record yet?

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 6, 2014

Nobodys won Ohio classic Lotto yet!? I cant remember when the last time it was won, is it a record yet?

Hasn't been won in about two years. Don't know for certain about a record, but gotta believe it has to be. 

Mattapan

I agree with everyone else that's saying there's not really enough to get excited about. We had a pool at the job for when the jackpot was above 100 mil. Now we've changed it to when the Jackpot is over 300 mill then we'll play. There's about 50 of us so we won't be rolling in the dough but it will put a smile on our faces.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

I'm in every PB draw. I'm ok with winning the $2 million 2nd prize (with powerplay).

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Feb 6, 2014

I'm in every PB draw. I'm ok with winning the $2 million 2nd prize (with powerplay).

I got a two week ticket today with four draws.  Two lines with powerplay for $6 and I also would gladly take the $2 million RCBBuckeye.  Debt free and money in the bank now come on numbers.-weshar75

US Flag

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Feb 6, 2014

I am somewhat surprised that USA Mega's site doesn't mention the Ohio Classic Lotto being at $59.8 million when

they list FL, CA and NY Lotto which have much lower prize amounts. What?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Feb 6, 2014

Roger that, buckeye.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

The last time jackpot fever was discussed someone mentioned that the kick off point for it is now $300M. It seems to keep creeping up.

The media might as well keep file films and use them instead of interviewing a new batch of all-of-a-sudden lotto experts.

I hope someone hits it before that all starts again.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Feb 7, 2014

The last time jackpot fever was discussed someone mentioned that the kick off point for it is now $300M. It seems to keep creeping up.

The media might as well keep file films and use them instead of interviewing a new batch of all-of-a-sudden lotto experts.

I hope someone hits it before that all starts again.

well I still stand by my previous post about the starting point of the lotto frenzy of $300 milllion

but if it creeps up any further then that .... I'll be dipped and buried in a hill of fire ants

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 7, 2014

well I still stand by my previous post about the starting point of the lotto frenzy of $300 milllion

but if it creeps up any further then that .... I'll be dipped and buried in a hill of fire ants

Tickets now purchased for both PB & MM.....Dear Santa, I have been a good boy this year(so far),please make one of my tickets a winner.
From your favorite person in the whole world.
CD

P.S. Dont trust hearsetrax, he said that anthill comment about you cause he got a yoyo in his stocking last year.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$247 MILLION sounds good to me.........BananaWhite BounceDance

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Feb 6, 2014

I am somewhat surprised that USA Mega's site doesn't mention the Ohio Classic Lotto being at $59.8 million when

they list FL, CA and NY Lotto which have much lower prize amounts. What?

Agree. Obviously they're going for the 'biggest' states population (and sales) wise, but $59.8 mil is way above any other state prize. Got my five tickets for Saturday. Will get three for Mich. draw tomorrow. $3 mil I can work with too.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

I TURNED $3 DOLLARS INTO $21 DOLLARS.

BUYING MULTIPLE LOTTERY TICKETS PER DRAWING INCREASES YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING A LOTTERY JACKPOT.

BUT IT ONLY TAKES 1 COMBINATION TO WIN THE JACKPOT.

YOU WILL NOT GO BROKE BY BUYING 1 COMBINATION SOMEDAY.

BUY ZERO LOTTERY TICKETS TO HAVE ZERO LOSSES.

Gleno's avatarGleno

Heard a comedian state," the lottery cost us $169 billion to play but that $169 billion was won by others." It was funny to hear but totally inaccurate.The government,which permits us to gamble, gets a sizeable chunk of the proceeds.Also question the accuracy of that $169 billion amount. 

What?

Still appreciate the discussion that the  lump-sum option is the  best choice since it may relieve your family from inheritance taxes which are substantial,along with the yearly tax burden of an annuity.  Even if one takes the lump-sum, and does not spend it all, the inheritance tax will still have to be addressed. Any Suggestions on tax shelters? 

The lump-sum cash option, may be the preferred choice for most players. Being a creature of habit,still check off the annuity option.  Unhappy  Got to break that habit. Wink  Still might get another Powerball ticket with the cash option. 

Another monster jackpot, Oh Yeah, Ye Hah, and Yahoo!!    Crazy

To repeat the mantra: "2014 is the year for big jackpot winners." 

US Flag

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Feb 7, 2014

$247 MILLION sounds good to me.........BananaWhite BounceDance

I Agree!

Shelby Mustang

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 6, 2014

LOLOL @ dp

silly boy, its for redistribution and debt reductionPuke

Shoot they can seize, redistribute, reduce debt, and/or wipe ther bare behinds with $100 bills......I couldnt care less cause Im walking away with 80 million....That more than all of us here on lottery post put together could earn in all our lives. I think I'd take it and run

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Our work pool of 10 people has 5 tickets on tonight's draw. It's the only time I'll play PB & MM in 2014;  when invited to join the work pool. And even then it has to be only $1 or $2 per participant.

lottoguysocal's avatarlottoguysocal

ABSOLUTELY

Jackpot fatigue for sure....no posts since noon lol

lottoguysocal's avatarlottoguysocal

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 8, 2014

no worries, i'll glady take tonights "little" jackpot and carry on smartly lol

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 8, 2014

It's not an insignificant amount, but the thing is that it is an amount that we've seen quite often. New ground has been broken. News stories have run on this amount numerous times. 

The kicker is, what is left to say? The questions are always the same and the answers are always the same. Then the media trots out the same fame hungry past winners, and discuss the "dark side of the lottery" by throwing out a 5 second soundbite about Jack Whittaker or Abraham Shakespeare. 

So not sure if it's fatigue or simply "been there done that" and it will start taking ridiculous amounts for people to get buzzing. How weird is it that we don't even blink at a quarter of a million dollars anymore? We're actually unimpressed by that amount. Not even sure what that says about us. I'm afraid to ponder that. So I'll simply say "ROLL BABY ROLL".

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Feb 9, 2014

It's not an insignificant amount, but the thing is that it is an amount that we've seen quite often. New ground has been broken. News stories have run on this amount numerous times. 

The kicker is, what is left to say? The questions are always the same and the answers are always the same. Then the media trots out the same fame hungry past winners, and discuss the "dark side of the lottery" by throwing out a 5 second soundbite about Jack Whittaker or Abraham Shakespeare. 

So not sure if it's fatigue or simply "been there done that" and it will start taking ridiculous amounts for people to get buzzing. How weird is it that we don't even blink at a quarter of a million dollars anymore? We're actually unimpressed by that amount. Not even sure what that says about us. I'm afraid to ponder that. So I'll simply say "ROLL BABY ROLL".

Bull's eye Teddi !!

couldn't have put it any more clear if I had tried

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Congrats to the 8 people that won 1 million... I'd easily leave my job with 1 mil, thats around 750 after taxes.  I'd buy 4 more rentals and run that full time.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Darn auto correct. That should be quarter of a billion...not million.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Teddi...Could it also be that when we look these prizes people are realizing its not as advertised and they are waiting for it to grow because it will probably roll based on past history. ?....For Example, the upcoming drawing next Wed for Powerball is set with 284 MILLION(cash 162.7)....very much a large sum in my opinion even though we all know if you live in a state with state income tax(plus the feds at 39.6), you are going to lose ALMOST 50% of the cash option.That is still a phenomenal amount after, to take home.....However when you look at its cousin Mega Millions for next Tuesday its a whopping 122 million/67.3 cash..Take away almost 50% and you're down in the 35 million range. Still a wonderous amount that I would enjoy winning and I am not minimizing it one bit!! I personally don't play PB or MM until they break 100 million because  consistant rollovers and newer odds but thats my choice.
I think we have developed the idea that "more/bigger is better" rather than accepting, "thats enough"

Last winner of the PB was on 12-25-13 for 39 million cash...before that was a cash split of 68 Million on 12-11
Last Winner of the MM was on 1-03-14 for 33 million cash...before that was the split on 648 Million on 12-17

Just my humble opinion, no facts

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 9, 2014

Teddi...Could it also be that when we look these prizes people are realizing its not as advertised and they are waiting for it to grow because it will probably roll based on past history. ?....For Example, the upcoming drawing next Wed for Powerball is set with 284 MILLION(cash 162.7)....very much a large sum in my opinion even though we all know if you live in a state with state income tax(plus the feds at 39.6), you are going to lose ALMOST 50% of the cash option.That is still a phenomenal amount after, to take home.....However when you look at its cousin Mega Millions for next Tuesday its a whopping 122 million/67.3 cash..Take away almost 50% and you're down in the 35 million range. Still a wonderous amount that I would enjoy winning and I am not minimizing it one bit!! I personally don't play PB or MM until they break 100 million because  consistant rollovers and newer odds but thats my choice.
I think we have developed the idea that "more/bigger is better" rather than accepting, "thats enough"

Last winner of the PB was on 12-25-13 for 39 million cash...before that was a cash split of 68 Million on 12-11
Last Winner of the MM was on 1-03-14 for 33 million cash...before that was the split on 648 Million on 12-17

Just my humble opinion, no facts

Oh, I absolutely believe that has something to do with it. I don't even look at the advertised amount any more. I go straight to the cv and half that amount as my going point.

But there was a time not so long ago, when taking home $30, $40 or $50 million dollars was unreal. Unbelievably outrageous. 

We're now looking at a take home amount of $80-$90 million and we are barely able to garner any excitement over it. An amount that would have us living in luxury for the rest of our lives and we simply shrug and hope this one will make it to the billion dollar mark. And it isn't as if any one of us wouldn't be ecstatic to win and take home $80 million dollars. But it's simply no longer an amount big enough to get people buzzing with excitement.

I personally think we're desensitized to anything under $500 million. It seems that's the mark that gets everyone's attention.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by veganlife125 on Feb 6, 2014

I recon $250 Million is the new standard to get the fever going again.   What house will ya buy?  What Car will ya buy?  Or....in the words of David Lee Roth "I wonder what the teacher is gonna look like this year!?!"  Big Grin

Vegalife125 stop beefing up with these high Powerball lottery jackpots. You are not going to win any money.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Feb 6, 2014

It is fun to play the lottery. What about losing?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Feb 6, 2014

Ha ha!  The usual states that win constantly ain't getting any of my money.

You are buying ZERO lottery tickets?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Are you spending $10-$20 per drawing?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Jester

You did not win the Powerball lottery jackpot. Play again. Good luck.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Feb 6, 2014

Excellent description hahahahaha federal seizure, how appropriate.

Lottery seizure is the appropriate description.LOL

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Feb 9, 2014

Vegalife125 stop beefing up with these high Powerball lottery jackpots. You are not going to win any money.

I hear you Thrifty!  It's to bad most don't have fun with this game.  The fun is in the action not the winning and losing.  Anything else will lead to depression. 

Over the years the most i've won is $7 matching 3 of 5 white balls.  Heck i was out last night and a crown & coke cost me $11 bucks! 

Buy one quick pick each draw and don't worry about it.  Even at that its $312 dollars a year! Thats more than my gym membership each year! Big Grin

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by veganlife125 on Feb 9, 2014

I hear you Thrifty!  It's to bad most don't have fun with this game.  The fun is in the action not the winning and losing.  Anything else will lead to depression. 

Over the years the most i've won is $7 matching 3 of 5 white balls.  Heck i was out last night and a crown & coke cost me $11 bucks! 

Buy one quick pick each draw and don't worry about it.  Even at that its $312 dollars a year! Thats more than my gym membership each year! Big Grin

Crown & Coke.Hippy Puke

vjohnson8's avatarvjohnson8

We need a winner in  IND for  the mega millions its  are turn , we do donate to the pot!!!!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Feb 9, 2014

Well aren't you just a huge warm ray of sunshine.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Feb 10, 2014

Crown & Coke.Hippy Puke

Surely every now and then yall like to slip a bottle of Crown way back up in them thar hills son!Big Grin

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by vjohnson8 on Feb 10, 2014

We need a winner in  IND for  the mega millions its  are turn , we do donate to the pot!!!!

There ya go ValI Agree! KEEP SAYING THATParty

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story