California lottery ticket wins $425 million Powerball jackpot

Feb 20, 2014, 12:45 am (89 comments)

Powerball

Final jackpot total of $425.3 million is sixth-largest ever in USA

By Todd Northrop

One winning Powerball lottery ticket that hit a $425.3 million jackpot Wednesday night was sold in Milpitas, California, according to lottery officials.

The ticket was purchased at Dixon Landing Chevron, located at 1551 California Circle.  It successfully matched the numbers 1, 17, 35, 49, and 54, in addition to the Powerball number 34.  The Power Play number was 3.

The $425.3 million Powerball jackpot, which is the sixth-largest of any lottery game in history, started as a $40 million prize on December 28, 2013, and continued accumulating prize money for 15 consecutive drawings, until it was finally won Wednesday night.

Early Sunday morning the game's organizer estimated Wednesday's jackpot at $400 million, and larger-than expected ticket sales led to the upwardly-revised total announced just before the drawing Wednesday.

Dixon Landing Chevron will receive a $1 million bonus for selling the winning ticket, officials said.

The South Bay is no stranger to selling jackpot-winning lottery tickets.

In December, a small San Jose gift shop sold a $324 million Mega Millions ticket. It was one of two big tickets. The other was sold in Georgia.

In addition to the big jackpot winner, 18 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from Arizona, 2 from California, 2 from Florida, 2 from Georgia, 1 from Indiana, 1 from Louisiana, 2 from New York, 1 from Ohio, 1 from Pennsylvania, 1 from South Carolina, 2 from Tennessee, 1 from Texas, and 1 from West Virginia.

The 2 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $1,444,906, because California does not award fixed prizes. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Only the ticket sold in Texas was purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1, automatically doubling that prize to $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.

144 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 16 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $30,000, and 17 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $9,308 this drawing.

The jackpot for the Saturday Powerball drawing is reset to $40 million.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

A 44th Powerball state will be added in early 2014, as the state of Wyoming has approved a new state lottery with the intention of joining Powerball and other multi-state lottery games. (See Wyoming officially becomes 44th state with a lottery, Lottery Post, Mar. 14, 2013.)

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Bummer. I was hoping it would roll because it's getting warmer and sales would have exploded.

bsdme

I did say a California will win this jackpot, was also hoping it was me. Guess I will have to wait for the next jackpot.

One-Day

I'm done with Powerball.  Too expensive.  Will only play MM.  Congrats to the winner.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations to all the WINNERSParty

Party1377

Quote: Originally posted by One-Day on Feb 20, 2014

I'm done with Powerball.  Too expensive.  Will only play MM.  Congrats to the winner.

Ah I never win. Expensive.

Also I agree beyond mad about 2nd prize not being Xs 1-5 like Mega.

Quote: Originally posted by bsdme on Feb 20, 2014

I did say a California will win this jackpot, was also hoping it was me. Guess I will have to wait for the next jackpot.

Congratulations you was right I Agree! on to the next one

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to all the winner/sThumbs Up

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by bsdme on Feb 20, 2014

newbies much like small children ought to be seen but not heard

Congrats to the winners and may your new diggs be sitting on a XXL sinkhole

jjtheprince

Fn California.

Why don't they just give California, New York, Florida, and Georgia their OWN MUSL game?

They could win every drawing and split the change with each other and the rest of us could actually have a fair shot at winning PB or MM!

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Feb 20, 2014

Fn California.

Why don't they just give California, New York, Florida, and Georgia their OWN MUSL game?

They could win every drawing and split the change with each other and the rest of us could actually have a fair shot at winning PB or MM!

and a G'morning to U too Mr Sour Grapes

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations to all the winners!  Enjoy!

HiYoSilver

What luck, now they can afford a 3 bedroom house out there. Wink

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 20, 2014

and a G'morning to U too Mr Sour Grapes

LOL.......people get so mad when they don't win, everyone should be used to it by now. Smile

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Feb 20, 2014

LOL.......people get so mad when they don't win, everyone should be used to it by now. Smile

you'd think so anyway ......

I haven't even checked my ticket yet, nore am I in any hurry

heck I'd be very happy just to get my $2  back so I can play the MM Cheers

Candlelight777's avatarCandlelight777

Happy for the winner, but darn we are back to a boring 40m compared to 400m Disapprove

BDUB211

Congrats to the winners, maybe next time for the rest of us. I don't get why people get mad when they don't win, just be happy for those that did. Take a little joy in knowing you contributed to their happiness.

jjtheprince

I'm not happy because it's California.

If the winner was from Nebraska for example, I'd be happy.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Fn California.

it's just too easy to win, right? LOL

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Feb 20, 2014

it's just too easy to win, right? LOL

For California it is.

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Congrats to the new millionaire.

Jon D's avatarJon D

I'm not happy because it's California.

If the winner was from Nebraska for example, I'd be happy.

What if the winner recently moved from Nebraska to California?

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

What the HELL!? I also called on california winning.  I hate that I was right about it too.  Now I know there's gotta be shenanigans with california always winning.  Time for an investigation.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 20, 2014

Bummer. I was hoping it would roll because it's getting warmer and sales would have exploded.

It's all in the plan.

PB is just too easy to win now with those puny 175M odds. MM is probably saying, "Now we'll show you what a REAL jackpot frenzy looks like with our much superior 258M odds!"

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky winner

Gleno's avatarGleno

Yea Hah, Another Gas station has produced another millionaire. Should consider   

buying  my tickets at the WAWA gas and convenience store in central N.J.

We have other gas stations throughout  the state that sell lottery tickets. We don't need to just patronize one brand or company.

That's an awesome bonus for Dixon Landing Chevron selling the winning ticket. Congratualtions to them and all the other million dollar winners.

Wonder how long it will take for the grand prize winner to show up to claim their prize and be famous? 

US Flag

Piaceri

Congrats to the winner! Love those single ticket winners on this bigger jackpots. It just makes it more fun. Hurray!

Time to take a deep breath and relax. Focus now on Megamillions. Almost $95m for Friday's draw. I could do that. Easily. Hyper

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Stupid Powerball!!!

Stupid California!!!

frustration  frustration

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 18, 2024

Cash is king. $94.9 million. Hurray!

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Feb 20, 2014

Cash is king. $94.9 million. Hurray!

Thumbs Up ok Good LuckLep

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Some time in the future, when someone hits the inter-galactic lottery:

How come it's always someone from planet Troubador 27? They always win.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

I lost $36 playing this draw, but i'm gonna make it back by stealing $40 worth of playslips. Idea

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Hmmmm ?? Someone(s) who purchased this ticket in California is now 150 + million richer(after taxes of course) and California  has no taxes on this ????

Interesting.

To the winner(s) I hope you get  some sleep soon and congrats on your win. Your life will be forever changed. Spend and invest wisely  Hyper

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Feb 20, 2014

Yeah, like in the movie Contact, when Jodie Foster travels through a wormhole to the Vega star system.

"Why do those darn friggin' Vegans always win!?#@"

jjtheprince

I am shaking my losing tickets in anger! LOL

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 20, 2014

I lost $36 playing this draw, but i'm gonna make it back by stealing $40 worth of playslips. Idea

Green laugh

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Feb 20, 2014

I thought it was always Pluto.

for  JJ tissues

and

waaaa=mbulance  4 golfer1960

I feel your pain prince!!

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 20, 2014

for  JJ tissues

and

waaaa=mbulance  4 golfer1960

I know trax, I know!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

California LOL!

The winner will pay!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by BDUB211 on Feb 20, 2014

Congrats to the winners, maybe next time for the rest of us. I don't get why people get mad when they don't win, just be happy for those that did. Take a little joy in knowing you contributed to their happiness.

Totally agree. The west does not complain when we read of winners from FL or NJ. Don't worry be happy- what goes around comes around. ..as they say!
Congrats to the Winner/ Winners.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Feb 20, 2014

Yeah, like in the movie Contact, when Jodie Foster travels through a wormhole to the Vega star system.

"Why do those darn friggin' Vegans always win!?#@"

JD:

Yeah at least 2 people in D WORLD should B HAPPY now!

(1) the $425 million ticket holder

(2) the Dixon Landing store owner who was on his way to India when he found out

Thinking of...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thud>>>>>>>>>>>>ThudSulk Off

faber98

some of you need to get over the fact that a certain state (in this case ca) win so often. maybe they  sold 50x as many tickets as your dismal midwestern tornado strewn state did. that means that there are 50x as many losers in cal as in your state. no such thing as a lucky state or store, gas station, or wherever you can buy them. the only thing that matters is your set of numbers or a clerks hesitant or non-hestitant finger on a quick pic lottery machine. nothing else matters especially where you live. less tickets sold in a state means the winner is less likely to come from there. i estimate there are probably 500x more tickets sold in ca, ny, fla, ma than in nebraska for example, thus the preponderence of more winners there. that's all it means. also stop complaining about the differences in the 2 games. if you don't like one or the other don't play it. many of you don't realize how much better off your chances would be winning your own state lotto or cash 5 games. facing 175 million to 1 odds twice a week isn't the way to go with your average life span of only 70 something years. especially those that don't play unless it's 300 million or more thus limiting your chances even more. what's wrong with 40 million if that's they type of prize you're looking for. can't scrape by with that. no one would be hounding you as much for sure. ohio people should be focusing on that 56 million state lotto instead of these insidious mm or pb jackpots. percentages are much more in your favor there. so shovel your way out and play that one if you're "lucky" enough to be in that state.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

That $40M looks good from here. I will buy one ticket.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

For all you 'crazy just cant be happy for the winners' people out there who are suffering from some sort or Lotto winners location confirmation bias...here are all the States that won in 2013: From last to first: Now please stop the nonsense about only some States always win. You sound quite silly. As it is with most things in life, we seem to see only that which we chooe to see and ignore FACTS! Come on now, stop all the crazy talk..

Missouri  :   December 25, 2013

Nebraska / Massachussetts  :   December 11, 2013

New York  :   November 16, 2013

California :    October 23, 2013

South Carolina :   September 18, 2013

Minnesota / New Jersey (2) :  August 7, 2013

Pennsylvania  :  June 22, 2013

Texas  :  May 29, 2013

Delaware / Florida / LouisianaMay 25, 2013

FloridaMay 18, 2013....the huge jackpot won by the little old lady : )

Illinois    :  March 30, 2013

New JerseyMarch 23, 2013

Virginia  :  February 6, 2013

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

And for more details about past winners and where they are from, see the link below. Wish the winners well, and pray/wait for your turn. No need to hate on the winners people, they were just like you the day before they hit.

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Feb 20, 2014

Right on Maringoman...I was beginning to think i was the only one that found the $40MIL prize just as beautiful.

I just had a crazy idea....imagine if all lotteries had something like a progressive increase of odds: that is, with each draw the odds reduced/increased. So at $40MIL the odds would be something like 1:70,000,000. and by the time it got to $500MIL its like 1:350,000,000. hahahhaa, that would be some funny stuff. I wonder if it could work? Of course to make things work that way, what they would have to do is keep the play slip the same with maybe 99 different numbers, but for each draw they'd throw more numbers in the machine. LOL!!!

What'd you guys think? Viable option/possibility?

foracause1

The ticket was a quick pick ?

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Feb 20, 2014

For all you 'crazy just cant be happy for the winners' people out there who are suffering from some sort or Lotto winners location confirmation bias...here are all the States that won in 2013: From last to first: Now please stop the nonsense about only some States always win. You sound quite silly. As it is with most things in life, we seem to see only that which we chooe to see and ignore FACTS! Come on now, stop all the crazy talk..

Missouri  :   December 25, 2013

Nebraska / Massachussetts  :   December 11, 2013

New York  :   November 16, 2013

California :    October 23, 2013

South Carolina :   September 18, 2013

Minnesota / New Jersey (2) :  August 7, 2013

Pennsylvania  :  June 22, 2013

Texas  :  May 29, 2013

Delaware / Florida / LouisianaMay 25, 2013

FloridaMay 18, 2013....the huge jackpot won by the little old lady : )

Illinois    :  March 30, 2013

New JerseyMarch 23, 2013

Virginia  :  February 6, 2013

You forgot mega millions.  Nice try though. 

I would recommend looking on the powerball and megamillions websites.  Oh and don't forget as soon as california joined powerball,  they won the jackpot pretty fast.   Something is very biased,  It seems to be mostly an east coast west coast thing.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Feb 20, 2014

I would recommend looking on the powerball and megamillions websites.  Oh and don't forget as soon as california joined powerball,  they won the jackpot pretty fast.   Something is very biased,  It seems to be mostly an east coast west coast thing.

HUH??? A few things: We were discussing the POWERBALL from last night right??? Not sure what you are talking about in regards to me looking at the PB website when the info i provided was directly lifted from THAT very website....I included a link in the subsequent post taken directly from the PB website, did you bother to look at it or again chose to ignore FACTS??

There are so many factual points i could highlight to refute your persistent gripe but why bother, its clear your mind is made up to believe that which you want to believe. Stop the whinning. Cali, Florida, NY, Texas are the most populous States in the nation and they are not even the States with the most Powerball JACKPOT winners. That title goes to INDIANA!!! And if we choose to add a bit of common sense in the mix, we'd be able to conclude with no great surpise for those with a brain, that the States with greater population size = greater number tickets sold = greater number of overall winners (not necessarily Jackpot winners).

Good luck to you!

alexnt55

California started selling PB tickets in April of last year. There were 10 different people who either won a jackpot or shared a jackpot before Calif had there first winner on Oct.23. California sells roughly 10% or sometimes even a little higher % of all tckets sold for each drawing so they did not actually hit it rather quick after joining but hit it about when they would have been due going by the amount of tickets they sell. Last nights total sells were reported to be A little over 183 million dollars. A little over 74 million which would be a bit over 40% came from these 5 states. Calif New York Texas Flordia and Pennsylvania. So in the long run that means those 5 states should produce 4 out of every 10 winners. Add New Jersey and Illinois to it and it comes up to over 92 million which means those 7 states sold over 50% of the total tickets sold.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by alexnt55 on Feb 20, 2014

California started selling PB tickets in April of last year. There were 10 different people who either won a jackpot or shared a jackpot before Calif had there first winner on Oct.23. California sells roughly 10% or sometimes even a little higher % of all tckets sold for each drawing so they did not actually hit it rather quick after joining but hit it about when they would have been due going by the amount of tickets they sell. Last nights total sells were reported to be A little over 183 million dollars. A little over 74 million which would be a bit over 40% came from these 5 states. Calif New York Texas Flordia and Pennsylvania. So in the long run that means those 5 states should produce 4 out of every 10 winners. Add New Jersey and Illinois to it and it comes up to over 92 million which means those 7 states sold over 50% of the total tickets sold.

Another voice of reason emerges. Thank you Alexnt. Not only for your post but for providing the statistical info/analysis.

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Feb 20, 2014

I Agree!

lottolaughs's avatarlottolaughs

Considering the odds are 1 in 175,000,000 and there are 317,569,814 people in the US as of this second (according to the US Census Population Clock)...I guess you then have to try to imagine it's you against almost half the country during any Powerball draw. Maybe now you can understand why you aren't winning.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

You're right, it is biased. The winning tickets are heavily biased towards the states that sell the most tickets. It's almost as if it's based on simple probability.

KillerDemo

Another big California PB win!  Keep the streak going Cali

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

I am so happy for the winner. I don't take other people opinion to heart. I don't think anybody on here is seriously angry or bitter because they didn't win or the state of California yields yet another msul winner. I have my own opinion and I would be a disgrace to humanity if I insult someone else because they expressed an opinion that I disagree with. 

I live in Florida. We have the Florida Lottery, Mega Money, and Fantasy 5 Jackpot games and most of the winners come from south florida usually a quick pick. I was very curious about why this was, well it happens. I talked to a professional lottery player so to speak and he said because there are more people in South Florida and they buy the most tickets. So if there is a state that is winning more than others could it just be the population/tickets sold or just plain old chance?! I use to think some stores sold better numbers than others, like there is some dude working for the lottery saleing certain stores certain numbers that have better oddsGreen laugh...I am happy for the winner. The first thing that had come to my mind was I hope he or she get all of their money because California is a state that don't match the jackpot they go off of tickets sold or something..I'm not sure...Alright people...let's win!!!

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Feb 20, 2014

You're right, it is biased. The winning tickets are heavily biased towards the states that sell the most tickets. It's almost as if it's based on simple probability.

States that have the highest populations sell more ticekets and thus have more winners....

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Can we stop using facts and common sense? You're just confusing everybody.

Congrats to the winner in Cali.

If a jackpot winning MM ticket is sold in California tonite will the conspiracy theorists commit suicide? I hope not.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Feb 21, 2014

If a jackpot winning MM ticket is sold in California tonite will the conspiracy theorists commit suicide? I hope not.

Dang, I hope they do! LOL.

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Feb 21, 2014

Dang, I hope they do! LOL.

No, we need them. I'm not sure how lol. Maybe they should go on hunger strike for a day

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Feb 20, 2014

HUH??? A few things: We were discussing the POWERBALL from last night right??? Not sure what you are talking about in regards to me looking at the PB website when the info i provided was directly lifted from THAT very website....I included a link in the subsequent post taken directly from the PB website, did you bother to look at it or again chose to ignore FACTS??

There are so many factual points i could highlight to refute your persistent gripe but why bother, its clear your mind is made up to believe that which you want to believe. Stop the whinning. Cali, Florida, NY, Texas are the most populous States in the nation and they are not even the States with the most Powerball JACKPOT winners. That title goes to INDIANA!!! And if we choose to add a bit of common sense in the mix, we'd be able to conclude with no great surpise for those with a brain, that the States with greater population size = greater number tickets sold = greater number of overall winners (not necessarily Jackpot winners).

Good luck to you!

The fact of the matter is,  that you choose to believe that the lottery isn't biased, and or rigged.   If it was truely random,  the same states wouldn't be winning the MM or PB constantly.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Feb 21, 2014

The fact of the matter is,  that you choose to believe that the lottery isn't biased, and or rigged.   If it was truely random,  the same states wouldn't be winning the MM or PB constantly.

"To interpose the threat of physical destruction between a man and his perception of reality is to negate and paralyze his means of survival; to force him to act against his own judgement is like forcing him to act against his own sight."....Ayn Rand.

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision."....Helen Keller

The quotes above will be my final response to you. For all the right reasons, i yield.  And thus leave you alone with your thoughts and perception of reality.

Good Luck and keep playing PB/MM, you never know when your time will come. Stay positive and all the best.

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Feb 21, 2014

If it was truely random,  the same states wouldn't be winning the MM or PB constantly.

Random doesn't necessarily mean inconsistent; if you've ever been to a casino and watched roulette, it is easy to get convinced that a certain number or color is always showing up. With regards to certain states winning often, as has been posted by others elsewhere, it basically boils down to higher sales.

Quote: Originally posted by foracause1 on Feb 20, 2014

The ticket was a quick pick ?

Party Quick picks Rule Party

DG1USA

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Feb 21, 2014

I am so happy for the winner. I don't take other people opinion to heart. I don't think anybody on here is seriously angry or bitter because they didn't win or the state of California yields yet another msul winner. I have my own opinion and I would be a disgrace to humanity if I insult someone else because they expressed an opinion that I disagree with. 

I live in Florida. We have the Florida Lottery, Mega Money, and Fantasy 5 Jackpot games and most of the winners come from south florida usually a quick pick. I was very curious about why this was, well it happens. I talked to a professional lottery player so to speak and he said because there are more people in South Florida and they buy the most tickets. So if there is a state that is winning more than others could it just be the population/tickets sold or just plain old chance?! I use to think some stores sold better numbers than others, like there is some dude working for the lottery saleing certain stores certain numbers that have better oddsGreen laugh...I am happy for the winner. The first thing that had come to my mind was I hope he or she get all of their money because California is a state that don't match the jackpot they go off of tickets sold or something..I'm not sure...Alright people...let's win!!!

I agree! Here are more things to consider-

SW Florida is a major vacation destination and alot of these vacationers play, probably hoping to make their

vacation permanent. Lurking

Florida is big snowbird territory-I can tell you, some of them are big time players. Crazy

Regarding the Quick Pick vs. the Self Picked numbers. I constantly check the PDF's of the winning stores

along with which system was played. I have found they are about even in the daily drawn Fantasy 5 game.

Best of luck to the newest PB winner. Hurray!

NUMONEYNIJAS

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Feb 20, 2014

Green laugh

Hurray!

No 0ne told you to buy that many so it's your own fault dude.

NUMONEYNIJAS

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Feb 21, 2014

Party Quick picks Rule Party

Serious that's ill I buy your chances of winning are way more better with qpsI Agree!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

A smart winner would move out of California!

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Hopefully, this jackpot was won by a pool of hardworking people.

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Here's the ticket sales summary (taken from the CA Lottery website):

Powerball  Ticket Sales 
(February 16-19)

Nation: 91.5 million
California: 10.3 million
Bay Area: 4 million

As was previously mentioned California sold more than 10% of all tickets, and the Bay Area itself sold more than 4% of all tickets.

zirabamuzaale

Quote: Originally posted by One-Day on Feb 20, 2014

I play only one combination in the Powerball because of its being expensive. I can play up to four combinations with the Megamillions per week because of the cheapness of the game.

zirabamuzaale

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Feb 20, 2014

Yea Hah, Another Gas station has produced another millionaire. Should consider   

buying  my tickets at the WAWA gas and convenience store in central N.J.

We have other gas stations throughout  the state that sell lottery tickets. We don't need to just patronize one brand or company.

That's an awesome bonus for Dixon Landing Chevron selling the winning ticket. Congratualtions to them and all the other million dollar winners.

Wonder how long it will take for the grand prize winner to show up to claim their prize and be famous? 

US Flag

It  seems gas stations/convenience stores often produce big winners i the lotto games rather than supermarkets ofr grocery stores. Maybe that is one way God rewards these oftentimes struggling stores. For example the convenient store that prodeced this winnning ticket in a way won a Jackpot within the larger Jackpot win!!!

zirabamuzaale

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Feb 21, 2014

If it was truely random,  the same states wouldn't be winning the MM or PB constantly.

Random doesn't necessarily mean inconsistent; if you've ever been to a casino and watched roulette, it is easy to get convinced that a certain number or color is always showing up. With regards to certain states winning often, as has been posted by others elsewhere, it basically boils down to higher sales.

I consulterd Astrology.com,  and I was told I would never win a Lotto Jackpot. However, even that was the case there are other prizes such as $1m prizes that someone can win at some me point.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by schmuckatelly on Feb 21, 2014

Can we stop using facts and common sense? You're just confusing everybody.

Congrats to the winner in Cali.

Some people are confused no matter how much help they get. And some people have no clue what random is.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Feb 21, 2014

A smart winner would move out of California!

I agree 110% DP....the state income tax for big lottery winners would be atrocious the next year after the initial payout. Can you imagine giving up 12.3% to the state on your interest income just to live there and 39.6% to the feds ???? ALMOST 52% just handed back to the government every year til you no longer alive, just to reside in that state !!!    There's democracy in action for you !     Let me think for a minute....... almost 52% orrrrrr 39.6% ??? Hit With Stick...
NOOOO THANK YOU. I will take a tax free state anytime !

And yet, California is 132 billion(approx) in debt....

2014 California Income Tax Table
2013 - 2014

Tax Bracket (Single) Marginal Tax Rate
$0+ 1.00%
$7,582+ 2.00%
$17,976+ 4.00%
$28,371+ 6.00%
$39,384+ 8.00%
$49,774+ 9.30%
$254,250+ 10.30%
$305,100+ 11.30%
$508,500+ 12.30%

Tax Bracket (Couple) Marginal Tax Rate
$0+ 1.00%
$15,164+ 2.00%
$35,952+ 4.00%
$56,742+ 6.00%
$78,768+ 8.00%
$99,548+ 9.30%
$508,500+ 10.30%
$610,200+ 11.30%
$1,017,000+ 12.30%

California has eighteen marginal tax brackets, ranging from 1.00% (the lowest California tax bracket) to 12.30% (the highest California tax bracket). Each marginal rate only applies to earnings within the applicable marginal tax bracket.

And now some are trying to divide the state up ?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/02/21/plan-to-divide-california-into-6-states-will-begin-gathering-signatures/

Best of luck Californians...Best of luck  Patriot

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Feb 22, 2014

I agree 110% DP....the state income tax for big lottery winners would be atrocious the next year after the initial payout. Can you imagine giving up 12.3% to the state on your interest income just to live there and 39.6% to the feds ???? ALMOST 52% just handed back to the government every year til you no longer alive, just to reside in that state !!!    There's democracy in action for you !     Let me think for a minute....... almost 52% orrrrrr 39.6% ??? Hit With Stick...

2013 - 2014

$0+ 1.00%
$7,582+ 2.00%
$17,976+ 4.00%
$28,371+ 6.00%
$39,384+ 8.00%
$49,774+ 9.30%
$254,250+ 10.30%
$305,100+ 11.30%
$508,500+ 12.30%

$0+ 1.00%
$15,164+ 2.00%
$35,952+ 4.00%
$56,742+ 6.00%
$78,768+ 8.00%
$99,548+ 9.30%
$508,500+ 10.30%
$610,200+ 11.30%
$1,017,000+ 12.30%

California has eighteen marginal tax brackets, ranging from 1.00% (the lowest California tax bracket) to 12.30% (the highest California tax bracket). Each marginal rate only applies to earnings within the applicable marginal tax bracket.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/02/21/plan-to-divide-california-into-6-states-will-begin-gathering-signatures/

That hopefully should cut back the constant wins!  DanceParty

thaencyder

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Feb 20, 2014

some of you need to get over the fact that a certain state (in this case ca) win so often. maybe they  sold 50x as many tickets as your dismal midwestern tornado strewn state did. that means that there are 50x as many losers in cal as in your state. no such thing as a lucky state or store, gas station, or wherever you can buy them. the only thing that matters is your set of numbers or a clerks hesitant or non-hestitant finger on a quick pic lottery machine. nothing else matters especially where you live. less tickets sold in a state means the winner is less likely to come from there. i estimate there are probably 500x more tickets sold in ca, ny, fla, ma than in nebraska for example, thus the preponderence of more winners there. that's all it means. also stop complaining about the differences in the 2 games. if you don't like one or the other don't play it. many of you don't realize how much better off your chances would be winning your own state lotto or cash 5 games. facing 175 million to 1 odds twice a week isn't the way to go with your average life span of only 70 something years. especially those that don't play unless it's 300 million or more thus limiting your chances even more. what's wrong with 40 million if that's they type of prize you're looking for. can't scrape by with that. no one would be hounding you as much for sure. ohio people should be focusing on that 56 million state lotto instead of these insidious mm or pb jackpots. percentages are much more in your favor there. so shovel your way out and play that one if you're "lucky" enough to be in that state.

Dang you brining up logic and facts to a rather silly argument. Massachusetts and it's educated populace always using their brain. 

All jokes aside, it's beyond moronic to say California is lucky when in fact it is selling 5x times more tickets. Do people on here never took a statistic class or something? Lol

thaencyder

2013 - 2014

$0+ 1.00%
$7,582+ 2.00%
$17,976+ 4.00%
$28,371+ 6.00%
$39,384+ 8.00%
$49,774+ 9.30%
$254,250+ 10.30%
$305,100+ 11.30%
$508,500+ 12.30%

$0+ 1.00%
$15,164+ 2.00%
$35,952+ 4.00%
$56,742+ 6.00%
$78,768+ 8.00%
$99,548+ 9.30%
$508,500+ 10.30%
$610,200+ 11.30%
$1,017,000+ 12.30%

You guys kill me with this stuff. Not everyone wants to live in a backward state. In fact, the opposite is true which is why states like Callifornia are the most populated and expensive. Anyhow, I'm sure I would stay in California if I was living there to begin with prior to turning a $2 dollars bet into $90+ million.

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

Educated?  Good grief, I don't think that person has ever heard of capital letters...or paragraphs, for that matter.

"using their brain"? No, the majority of people in that state are the most ignorant people in America;  they kept voting in John Kerry and Teddy K., didn't they?

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by thaencyder on Feb 22, 2014

You guys kill me with this stuff. Not everyone wants to live in a backward state. In fact, the opposite is true which is why states like Callifornia are the most populated and expensive. Anyhow, I'm sure I would stay in California if I was living there to begin with prior to turning a $2 dollars bet into $90+ million.

Some of us prefer to not live in a progressive nanny state and giving our money to liberals who think they "know better".........But, I will never try to fix gormless...Give a man enough rope, he will eventually feel the noose tighten....Best of luck with your next lottery drawing  Patriot

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Feb 22, 2014

Educated?  Good grief, I don't think that person has ever heard of capital letters...or paragraphs, for that matter.

"using their brain"? No, the majority of people in that state are the most ignorant people in America;  they kept voting in John Kerry and Teddy K., didn't they?

Mike, don't forget Gov Dukakis of the late 80s...Thats one of the reasons that we other residents of New England called the state "Taxachussetts" and the residents were refered to as "mass...holes"... just sayin' Big Smile

But all is well now Blue Angel

CAL-LottoPlayer

Quote: Originally posted by thaencyder on Feb 22, 2014

One state I would never live in is Florida.  That "Stand Your Ground" law along with anyone who doesn't have a record being able to get a Concealed Weapons Permit makes me cringe.

Every time I hear about a murder on the news, it's in Florida.  Add to that, you have the alligators, those large Tegu lizards, large pythons, poisonous snakes, hurricanes, flooding, it's all very uninviting.  Plus, let's not forget the cocaine smuggling business, the marijuana smuggling business.

To top it all off, they also have HUGE quarter-sized mosquitos and that's pretty much it.  NO THANKS!  I'll pick somewhere else to live.

Mike, don't forget Gov Dukakis of the late 80s...Thats one of the reasons that we other residents of New England called the state "Taxachussetts" and the residents were refered to as "mass...holes"... just sayin' Big Smile

But all is well now Blue Angel

Oh, I HAD forgotten about him.  Thank goodness.

When I first read that post with the "dismal midwestern tornado strewn state" it made me angry, but I let it go because I try to not make fun of functional illiterates unless they insult me directly.  Still, it's that sort of thinking that makes me despise the elitist prog-tards like that person and thaencyder...who is most likely another sock puppet. (such as B2B/Shelby Mustang).  I'd rather have a tornado go down my street every day than live next door to a prog-tard.

thaencyder

Some of us prefer to not live in a progressive nanny state and giving our money to liberals who think they "know better".........But, I will never try to fix gormless...Give a man enough rope, he will eventually feel the noose tighten....Best of luck with your next lottery drawing  Patriot

Says the guy on a lottery board. How cute. Cut down on the Fox News garbage. It clearly is affecting you.

thaencyder

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Feb 22, 2014

Oh the irony.

Anyhow, good luck everyone.

Quote: Originally posted by thaencyder on Feb 24, 2014

Oh the irony.

Anyhow, good luck everyone.

Is that you, Alanis?

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by thaencyder on Feb 24, 2014

Says the guy on a lottery board. How cute. Cut down on the Fox News garbage. It clearly is affecting you.

Well, lets see where the info & figures came from shall we ?

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/09/06/californias-current-debt-load-132.html

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/California-Governor-Jerry-Brown-Budget-Spending-Plan-239454101.html

Food stamps program: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/research/res/pdf/DFA256/2013/DFA256Dec13.pdf
 or http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/29snapcurrpp.htm
or
http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-california-debt-clock.html

Dont see one bit of Fox news to support YOUR statement of "Fox News garbage". BUT, if you can prove/dispute the findings otherwise, by all means please do.

I am very glad that the winning ticket was sold in California, perhaps they will donate a majority of their winnings to "help the state out" as any dedicated progressive person would gladly do.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story