Former live-in girlfriend of NJ $338M Powerball winner to receive nothing

Mar 7, 2014, 1:48 pm (44 comments)

Powerball

PASSAIC, NJ — A Passaic bodega owner who won a $338 million Powerball jackpot last spring and his former live-in girlfriend settled a lawsuit in state court Friday in which the woman was seeking a share of the fortune.

(See NJ $338 million Powerball winner and ex-girlfriend in court over money, Lottery Post, Nov. 10, 2013.)

Under the terms of the settlement, plaintiff Inez Sanchez agreed to drop her lawsuit and relinquish all rights to pursue it further. In exchange, jackpot winner Pedro Quezada agreed not to recoup from her attorneys' fees it cost him to defend himself in the case. The settlement provided for no other financial benefit to Sanchez.

The case was settled just as state Superior Court Chancery Division Judge Margaret Mary McVeigh was set to rule on a motion to dismiss Sanchez's suit that was filed in January by Quezada's attorneys.

Had the judge dismissed the case, a distinct possibility given recent case law that has struck down so-called "palimony" rights, Sanchez would have been obligated to pay Quezada's attorneys' fees. The total of those fees could not be immediately confirmed Friday.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

The Record, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

Good! She got smart and realized it was a losing cause plus it saved her a lot of attorney fees.

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Mar 7, 2014

Good! She got smart and realized it was a losing cause plus it saved her a lot of attorney fees.

I agree!!

WWWBUKTN

You have to love those two pictures side by side.   Picture one she's in complete jubilation over her new found fortune.   Picture two she's saying "what you talking about Willis" to her attorney who just informed her that she's screwed.

Toronto

Now you understand why women are so eager to get married

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Not so sure how i feel about this one. You know, we certainly aren't familiar the dynamics of their relationship, but i somehow get the feeling he's a bit a trickster and she got jilted. Certainly she doesnt deserve anything like half or anything like that. But I would have hooked her up, said goodbye and be on my merry way. My friend Pedro, you got lucky, nothing more than that. A ticket and a dream that became reality. One cant completely believe everything/anything read in the news these days, but he seems to be operating kind of shifty. Best to both of them anyway. Too bad what should have been a miracle win for them both turned into this.

Good luck to both.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Pedro keeps winning. I bet his new girlfriend makes the old one look like a roadkill lol

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I think palimony lawsuits are bullcrap anyway. I'm sorry he didn't hook her up with something but palimony should be outlawed in all 50 states.

Get married and have financial security or leave the bum. No No

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Mar 7, 2014

Pedro keeps winning. I bet his new girlfriend makes the old one look like a roadkill lol

He probably learned never ever allow a live-in girl friend to appear at a press conference with you when you are claiming your lottery winnings or she'll think she is entitled to a potion of it. 

She probably learned being a live-in girl friend is nothing like being a wife.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

JoeBigLotto was right about Pedro. Could you imagine, the varying degrees of emotional turmoil, running rampant inside that woman? It's never a very good idea, to involve lawyers in these types of cases anyway, because it destroys any vestiges of "love clout or love capital", accumulated over the years. It probably could have been better settled in house, but we don't know the rest of the story. Big Money time and time again, appears to be an unwelcomed barometer, to measure how stable a relationship is. Very sad indeed. PEDRO PLAYS HARDBALL!!!.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Mar 7, 2014

JoeBigLotto was right about Pedro. Could you imagine, the varying degrees of emotional turmoil, running rampant inside that woman? It's never a very good idea, to involve lawyers in these types of cases anyway, because it destroys any vestiges of "love clout or love capital", accumulated over the years. It probably could have been better settled in house, but we don't know the rest of the story. Big Money time and time again, appears to be an unwelcomed barometer, to measure how stable a relationship is. Very sad indeed. PEDRO PLAYS HARDBALL!!!.

I Agree!. Either way, i really think he should have taken care of her. 10 years and kids would count for something in my book.

Green Onion$'s avatarGreen Onion$

LOL  Green laugh Jester Laugh Frito better hide from Conchita... She's coming for blood now..Red Devil

noise-gate

New Jersey sure has had some nuggets lately.
First we have that teenager * Rachel Canning- suing her Parents for support and now we read that Pedro hit the JP twice.Only in America.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Well Pedro surprised me here by getting a good attorney and also looked like the good guy by not making her pay attorney fees. You know this case cost him more than a few dollars. Sounds like he has wise PR counsel as well. Maybe he will do better with his money than my original guess. 

And the case only went to trial because it could NOT be settled in house. Most civil law judges require some mediation between parties before cases go to trial.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on Mar 7, 2014

Well that comment only set us back 60 years. I think it works both ways nowadays when one party may have more $, etc.

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Here we go again... Greed got in the way. Just because you lived with him does not entitle you to his things..including a lottery win. Just like hes not entitled to your things. Law school 101.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Well I said before that she wasn't entitled to anything so I'm fine with this. Don't get me wrong, you live with someone for 10 years and have children with that person, if he had any amount of decency in him he would have given her something. But is she entitled to it? Absolutely not. It simply would have been the decent thing to do.

That being said, they do have kids together so she'll still get a cut one way or another.

Mattapan

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Mar 7, 2014

Well I said before that she wasn't entitled to anything so I'm fine with this. Don't get me wrong, you live with someone for 10 years and have children with that person, if he had any amount of decency in him he would have given her something. But is she entitled to it? Absolutely not. It simply would have been the decent thing to do.

That being said, they do have kids together so she'll still get a cut one way or another.

I agree. She isn't entitled to anything just because they live together. I think there was a past lottery winner who was sued by an ex-girlfriend and lost, so I don't know how this is different. I do think he should have given her something out of respect for their relationship at least, he did take home 150 million, dayum. I do believe what comes around goes around and these things work themselves out eventually.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

The Greed Of Envy suffers a big loss! Bash

Just Say No To Entitlement!

BukeyeStateLuck

I absolutely agree

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Mar 7, 2014

Not so sure how i feel about this one. You know, we certainly aren't familiar the dynamics of their relationship, but i somehow get the feeling he's a bit a trickster and she got jilted. Certainly she doesnt deserve anything like half or anything like that. But I would have hooked her up, said goodbye and be on my merry way. My friend Pedro, you got lucky, nothing more than that. A ticket and a dream that became reality. One cant completely believe everything/anything read in the news these days, but he seems to be operating kind of shifty. Best to both of them anyway. Too bad what should have been a miracle win for them both turned into this.

Good luck to both.

I am mixed also. I don't agree with palimony, but these two were together for years and apparently had children. Why they never married is just typical of today's society. I think for common decency, he should have given her something..... unless she decided to leave on her own and thought she was entitled to half. However, if he kicked her to the curb after the win, that in so wrong in my book. I don't recall if that part of this story was public knowledge.

Why people don't marry when they make a home and family together for many years is mind boggling. On the other hand, as my ex-father-in-law used to say to my ex-brother-in-law's live in girlfriend of two decades.. "why by the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on Mar 7, 2014

Is 10 years of waiting/hoping EAGER to you?

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 7, 2014

I think palimony lawsuits are bullcrap anyway. I'm sorry he didn't hook her up with something but palimony should be outlawed in all 50 states.

Get married and have financial security or leave the bum. No No

Leaving can be difficult once you have a child together; hope is often a mean brain number. Sleepy

Unless, Teddi, Pedro takes: his child and their bagoda/small grocery store business away from Inez too!  Rant

I'm glad that Pedro is paying for Inez's two sons to go to college!  However, it is odd/cruel that Inez didn't even receive an equivalent cash amount from her ex-lover.  Some lover/carer is Pedro (although Inez may have known for a decade of Pedro's foul track record with his older children and their mothers)!  Ugh.

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Talk about bad timing. If she only would have pressed the issue of marriage sooner, she would have been set for life.

Big Smile

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Did he have to give her anything? No, apparently not.

Should he have given her something? Yes, wtf, she's the mother of your kids, you got 150 million cash, duke 'er a nice chunk, buy 'er a nice house in a nice area to raise your kids, don't be a vindictive cheapskate.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Mar 7, 2014

Unless, Teddi, Pedro takes: his child and their bagoda/small grocery store business away from Inez too!  Rant

I'm glad that Pedro is paying for Inez's two sons to go to college!  However, it is odd/cruel that Inez didn't even receive an equivalent cash amount from her ex-lover.  Some lover/carer is Pedro (although Inez may have known for a decade of Pedro's foul track record with his older children and their mothers)!  Ugh.

I could be wrong but Pedro doesn't strike me as the paternal type so I think Inez will be keeping custody of the kids. And I can't think of any reason he'd want to claim the bodega. It's not as if he's going to bother to keep running it personally and it's not as if it was making them any money. 

As for Pedro not being caring, as Judge Judy would say, she chose to make a family with the lout. She picked him. If a man isn't going to put a ring on it after 10 years, a business and kids then she needed to get something in writing. Just because they were living as man and wife, doesn't mean she gets the same legal privileges as an actual man and wife.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by Mattapan on Mar 7, 2014

I agree. She isn't entitled to anything just because they live together. I think there was a past lottery winner who was sued by an ex-girlfriend and lost, so I don't know how this is different. I do think he should have given her something out of respect for their relationship at least, he did take home 150 million, dayum. I do believe what comes around goes around and these things work themselves out eventually.

If you mean Bud Post, there are two differences. 1. It was his money but she bought the tickets. 2. She said they had an agreement to split the money.

I haven't heard from Inez' camp that she and Pedro had any kind of agreement to share any lottery wins. Her lawsuit is based on the fact that they were in a long-term relationship where they pooled finances and so she should get a cut of whatever he wins since winnings are considered income and they have a history of sharing their incomes.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Mar 7, 2014

he gonna git some high price booty

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

if there are kids involved, then  the  personal claim for half is over, but the child support case will  begin.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrey on Mar 8, 2014

he gonna git some high price booty

I agree. I'm sure this could have ended differently. Yes, they were'nt married but they were together over 10 years with kids and a business involved. She certainly does not sound like a ditsy greedy gold digger. Relationships end, but i certainly would have hooked her up, and parted ways. I'm sure he'll meet a REAL gold digger down the line. As a matter of fact i'm sure there are a dozen just waiting for him to line their pockets.

You got lucky Pedro, i'm happy for you but you've got to play the life game right, do the right things brother.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 8, 2014

Should he have given her something? Yes, wtf, she's the mother of your kids, you got 150 million cash, duke 'er a nice chunk, buy 'er a nice house in a nice area to raise your kids, don't be a vindictive cheapskate.

He'll learn the hard way when she stabs him in the eye with her high heel. Those spanish chicks don't play nice.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by DDOH937 on Mar 8, 2014

I agree. I'm sure this could have ended differently. Yes, they were'nt married but they were together over 10 years with kids and a business involved. She certainly does not sound like a ditsy greedy gold digger. Relationships end, but i certainly would have hooked her up, and parted ways. I'm sure he'll meet a REAL gold digger down the line. As a matter of fact i'm sure there are a dozen just waiting for him to line their pockets.

You got lucky Pedro, i'm happy for you but you've got to play the life game right, do the right things brother.

Giving the woman a percentage would have been the reasonable/fair thing to do...even as low as 10%..but nothing(that's been reported) ????..........Puts a whole new spin on "a meaningful relationship"...Karma may come a callin' Pedro...Eek

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

None of us know what happened in their relationship so it's hard to lay blame on either one. The bottom line is that he fathered ONE child with her and had several other children with his ex-wife. Prior to his Powerball win, he was nothing more than a deadbeat father who spent his disposable income on everything else and not his child support obligations.

He certainly is not a hero in my book and I am glad that he is not going after his ex-girlfriend for attorney fees(this most likely would have bankrupted her). He no doubt will pay child support and it would have been nice of him to give his ex a small portion to afford her a better life. $500k or so would not have hurt him one bit.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Sounds about right to me. Your girlfriend/boyfriend isn't responsible for any debt that is solely in each  persons name. So why should one person have a right to the other persons income regardless of where it came from.

Seattlejohn

If this was a case of a former girlfriend suing him because she wanted to cash in on his good fortune, I'd say "I'm glad the gold digger got nothing".  However, they lived together for 10 years & had a child together; she's more than just a "former live-in girlfriend".  In California, she'd have rights as  his "common law" wife & would have been awarded something.  I think he's a shady character; he's already wired $57 million out of the country for god knows what (drugs? weapons? fund a cult?) & is being sued by her for domestic violence.  Given all the details, I would have liked to have seen her get something...

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by Seattlejohn on Mar 8, 2014

If this was a case of a former girlfriend suing him because she wanted to cash in on his good fortune, I'd say "I'm glad the gold digger got nothing".  However, they lived together for 10 years & had a child together; she's more than just a "former live-in girlfriend".  In California, she'd have rights as  his "common law" wife & would have been awarded something.  I think he's a shady character; he's already wired $57 million out of the country for god knows what (drugs? weapons? fund a cult?) & is being sued by her for domestic violence.  Given all the details, I would have liked to have seen her get something...

Yes man, agree with you totally.....except for the drugs/weapons/cult thing. I'm sure he wired the money out of the country to not only hide it but for much much higher interest rates that would make the S&P look like chump change. And because it'll go waaaaay further in the DR than it would here. But yes, i'm with you in thinking she was no 'coat tail come lately' kinda woman. She was with him for 10 years plus. He really should have done the right thing by her.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

I am not an advocate for "entitlements and handouts". Having put up with his deadbeat-a$$ for ten years, and her and kids doing chores and running errands{no matter how miniscule} for him, constitute a family. They deserve to get out of the relashionship, with some dignity...at least 10% of gross , and that my friend is a lot of dignity.

Mattapan

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Mar 8, 2014

I am not an advocate for "entitlements and handouts". Having put up with his deadbeat-a$$ for ten years, and her and kids doing chores and running errands{no matter how miniscule} for him, constitute a family. They deserve to get out of the relashionship, with some dignity...at least 10% of gross , and that my friend is a lot of dignity.

Absolutely. I like hearing stories about people with good hearts, who win and then help out their community and those closest to them. Then you wonder why someone like this guy wins, it boggles my mind. He should've given her something based on their relationship.

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 8, 2014

I agree.  However, I also don't have a problem with the way things turned out.  I'm guessing she wanted more than "a nice chunk" -- probably half or close to it -- and they both dug in their heels and played hardball.  He may be a cheapskate, but she got greedy and it cost her.  She could have walked away with a decent amount had she played her cards right; instead, she's lucky her lawyers are the only people taking her to the cleaners.

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Mar 8, 2014

I agree.  However, I also don't have a problem with the way things turned out.  I'm guessing she wanted more than "a nice chunk" -- probably half or close to it -- and they both dug in their heels and played hardball.  He may be a cheapskate, but she got greedy and it cost her.  She could have walked away with a decent amount had she played her cards right; instead, she's lucky her lawyers are the only people taking her to the cleaners.

I hear what you are saying and if true you make some valid points, BUT you sure are making a whole lot of assumptions geared towards confirming your theory. Not the way it works in my book. There is just too much we dont know. And based on what we do know, he should have hooked her up with a tidy amount if even just for her basic comfort. Afterall he waked outa there with $150 + Million. Come on Pedro, you have to play the game of life the right way man.

Gleno's avatarGleno

What did Pedro expect from his arrangement?  She was no doubt his "mojo" and  good luck charm, and she should get part of the jackpot, in my humble opinion. Only guessing that she was not in a long term relationship with the winner. 

What was the reasoning, if it could be called that, to award her nothing? Was she just a string of live- in girl friends? 

There is a lesson here for all those with similar situations...What?

DDOH937's avatarDDOH937

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Mar 10, 2014

What did Pedro expect from his arrangement?  She was no doubt his "mojo" and  good luck charm, and she should get part of the jackpot, in my humble opinion. Only guessing that she was not in a long term relationship with the winner. 

What was the reasoning, if it could be called that, to award her nothing? Was she just a string of live- in girl friends? 

Yes Gleno, Yes. I love the part about being his good luck charm, i never thought of that. You hit the nail right on the head with so many aspects in just 4 lines. Bravo!!

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Mar 10, 2014

Actually, Gleno, Pedro was the live-in, typically the person evading child support payments has to find a savior to house them.  The landlord whom they stiffed the final month of rent to said the lease is in Inez's name; officially her debt.  So, Pedro stiffed Inez in housing and credit scores, too, perhaps to remain consistent. 

Ugh, Inez, pay your landlord from last year.  Don't "house" wayward men anymore, train your and Pedro's son in this same wisdom.

Hit With Stick

michaelsullivan's avatarmichaelsullivan

good going girl.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story