Lucky Va. couple claims three major lottery prizes in one month

Mar 31, 2014, 8:04 am (79 comments)

Virginia Lottery

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — Calvin and Zatera Spencer are having an amazing month. First they won $1 million in the March 12 Powerball drawing. Then on March 26, Mr. Spencer won $50,000 with 10 winning tickets in the Virginia Lottery's Pick 4 game.

But it doesn't stop there.

The next day, shortly after dropping his wife off for an appointment, Mr. Spencer bought a Virginia Lottery Scratcher ticket — the $100 Million Cash Extravaganza — and won the $1 million prize.

"Baby, we did it again!" he told her.

The $1 million prize in $100 Million Cash Extravaganza is an annuity, which means the Spencers had the choice of taking the full $1 million prize over 30 years or a one-time cash option of $681,000 before taxes. They chose the cash option. He bought the winning ticket at the 7-Eleven at 100 West 21st Street in Norfolk. The store received a $10,000 bonus from the Lottery for selling the winning ticket.

The $50,000 win came when the combination 6-6-6-6 was drawn in the March 26 Pick 4 day drawing. Since that's a popular combination, the Virginia Lottery paid out a total of $6 million to winners for that drawing. Mr. Spencer had 10 tickets with 6-6-6-6. The top prize in Pick 4 is $5,000, which means he won a total of $50,000.

"We're not finished yet," he said as they claimed their latest prizes.

$100 Million Cash Extravaganza features prizes ranging from $20 up to $4 million. The $1 million prize that the Spencers won is actually the second prize. As the name suggests, the game began with a total of $100 million in prizes available. Mr. Spencer is the first $1 million winner to claim, which means three million-dollar tickets remain unclaimed.

"I haven't seen anything like it in my 12 years here," said John Hagerty, lottery spokesman. "People in the office couldn't believe it was them when they showed up with the winning ticket."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Virginian Pilot, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Wow, talk about luck... Congrats

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Sometimes, when I read stories like this, it makes think AH COME ON!!!! WHAT THE HELL!!Bang Head

Why can't I have just  50% of their luck?!!Crying

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skeptical okaaaaaay its not the state, its the city I live in ..... figures Roll Eyes

Jon D's avatarJon D

Keep goin' . . . A few more wins, and they can go on the talk show circuit talking about their winning lottery method, and give Richard Lustig some competition! Thumbs Up

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Crying

I'm such a loser...

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Unbelievable. I want his system.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 31, 2014

Crying

I'm such a loser...

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations Calvin & Zatera SpencerParty

Dance                                  Banana                                                           Hurray!

Get that $$$$$Party

"I haven't seen anything like it in my 12 years here," said John Hagerty, lottery spokesman.Green laugh

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Mar 31, 2014

Buying more lottery tickets increases your chances of winning a lottery jackpot.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 31, 2014

"I haven't seen anything like it in my 12 years here," said John Hagerty, lottery spokesman.Green laugh

They will increase the odds of winning to 1 in 1 Billion.

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Mar 31, 2014

Buying more lottery tickets increases your chances of winning a lottery jackpot.

Playing with Lottery money is the best way to WIN more money Drum

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Crying

I'm such a loser...

1 to 3 winners with millions of LOSERS.

Crying

I'm such a loser...

No No STOP talking that way your time is coming you will be a BIG WinnerDance

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Playing with Lottery money is the best way to WIN more money Drum

The lottery is not in the business of making millionaires.

Give him a call Type — Calvin and Zatera Spencer PORTSMOUTH, Va

i hear they hang out around the 7-Eleven at 100 West 21st Street in Norfolk.I Agree!

Calvin and Zatera Spencer are having an amazing month. First they won $1 million in the March 12 Powerball drawing. Then on March 26, Mr. Spencer won $50,000 with 10 winning tickets in the Virginia Lottery's Pick 4 game.

The next day, shortly after dropping his wife off for an appointment, Mr. Spencer bought a Virginia Lottery Scratcher ticket — the $100 Million Cash Extravaganza — and won the $1 million prize.

PukeThese winners make me sick!!!

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Calvin and Zatera Spencer are having an amazing month. First they won $1 million in the March 12 Powerball drawing. Then on March 26, Mr. Spencer won $50,000 with 10 winning tickets in the Virginia Lottery's Pick 4 game.

YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE LOTTERY EVERYDAY TO WIN.LOL. GOOD LUCK

The lottery is not in the business of making millionaires.

Alright Alright Alright! You Their gonna learn today! - Kevin HartGreen laugh

Attention Lottery, the people are tired of you taking their money it's time to pay up

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Alright Alright Alright! You Their gonna learn today! - Kevin HartGreen laugh

Attention Lottery, the people are tired of you taking their money it's time to pay up

You should share your lottery jackpot with me.LOL

The WINNERS

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

The WINNERS

What about your hidden lottery jackpot? Do not be greedy.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Some very lucky folks ............

The WINNERS

golfer1960 don't read this:

This kind of reminds me of a woman winning and winning and winning, from the Lottery show i think she was in florida she Won 3/4 of the top prizes LOL 

What about your hidden lottery jackpot? Do not be greedy.

Att: Winners Come hook THRIFTY up he say Do not be greedy.Green laugh

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Mar 31, 2014

I Agree!

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Mar 31, 2014

You are the luckiest lottery player. You see yourself winning the Mega Millions and Powerball lottery jackpot everyday.

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Mar 31, 2014

Keep goin' . . . A few more wins, and they can go on the talk show circuit talking about their winning lottery method, and give Richard Lustig some competition! Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Get that Money White Bounce

Green laugh

YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE LOTTERY EVERYDAY TO WIN.LOL. GOOD LUCK

I Agree!  you should take your own advice.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Att: Winners Come hook THRIFTY up he say Do not be greedy.Green laugh

I want you to share your lottery jackpot with me.LOL

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

I Agree!  you should take your own advice.

I am not rich like you. YOU ARE SO LUCKY.

I am not rich like you. YOU ARE SO LUCKY.

I Agree!

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Quote: Originally posted by IPlayWeekly on Mar 31, 2014

Wow, talk about luck... Congrats

Wow! this is amazing. Congrats to the lucky couple. You can't win if you don't play.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Very cool! This must be one of the best months they've ever had.

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Mar 31, 2014

Wow! this is amazing. Congrats to the lucky couple. You can't win if you don't play.

I play all the frickin time!!!! Cussing Face

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

I play all the frickin time!!!! Cussing Face

GLFR:

YOu should have been "FRACKEN">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>not fricken UR time away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argue

Green laugh

Dear helpmewin, I'm so glad your sense of humor understands my sense of frustration!!! Love ya!

Archie Bunker

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Mar 31, 2014

GLFR:

YOu should have been "FRACKEN">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>not fricken UR time away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argue

Hey psyko! Isn't fracken illegal?

Lynn-Lynn's avatarLynn-Lynn

What a blessing.

sully16's avatarsully16

Great story, Triple congrats to the lucky couple.Party

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Hey psyko! Isn't fracken illegal?

GOFER:

not if U kan  " FRICK & FRACK " @ D

>>>>>>>>same timing>>>>>>>

but, there is a BUTT out dare>>>somewhere<<<that git'$$$$$$$$$$ off "BEAT" !!!!!!!

Thud

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

They are truly cashing out, even after taxes, I would be so happy.

Happy Spending.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Conrats to the winners!!

Everything seems to happen in threes, will their luck continue or is it over?  Lady Luck will let us know.....

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I'm hoping for a tenth of their luck. Just a tenth is all I'd like for now. 2014 is already smelling like a losing year as far as my lotto pay is concerned. Congratulations the Spencer's! You show them how to win that money!

mamamary517's avatarmamamary517

Money goes to money.......  6 6 6 6 really?  I can't even hit a pick 3 boxed.Crazy

thaisayz

Thats amazing! hope luck rub on to me tonight with pick 4 after reading this. i been trying for the longest!!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Good for the winners...........

But.......there's a saying in Vegas

You get real lucky just before you're going to die.

Scared

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Thats really morbid. I would hope there is no truth to it.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

How do you know his "system" isn't just spending most of the first prize on more lottery tickets?

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Mar 31, 2014

Good for the winners...........

But.......there's a saying in Vegas

You get real lucky just before you're going to die.

Scared

"You get real lucky just before you're going to die."

That gives a whole new meaning to the idea of breaking even.

Marilyn222's avatarMarilyn222

Game of chance...I look at it as fate...winning 3x is not just luck. They might have done something good, I'm happy for them...I hope they're happy too.

Quote: Originally posted by Marilyn222 on Mar 31, 2014

Game of chance...I look at it as fate...winning 3x is not just luck. They might have done something good, I'm happy for them...I hope they're happy too.

...good story, Todd. I wonder where you getting all these scoop?Smile

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Mar 31, 2014

This couple won more in one month than Richard Lustig has in his entire life... Smile

Rman313's avatarRman313

Congrats to them!! Just awesome!Party

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

Now that's Luck!!

here's where I'm lost..

.."Spencers had the choice of taking the full $1 million prize over 30 years or a one-time cash option of $681,000 before taxes.

where do they get 681K from?...does the other 319K not count?...some shady-a$$ed lottery stuff there.

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that if they won 1 million,then why aren't they taxed on the million and who gets the other 319K before the whole prize gets taxed?

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

The Cash Option will take a HUGE chunk of flesh as compared to the annunity.

So yeah $681k before taxes sounds about right.

DG1USA

Quote: Originally posted by mrcraft on Mar 31, 2014

This couple won more in one month than Richard Lustig has in his entire life... Smile

LOL Good one mrcraft!

DG1USA

DrumGuitarPartyHooray for the Spencers!

Gleno's avatarGleno

Jumping Jeepers, That's unbelievable. Hope they learn money management 101 quickly before they find ways to spend it as fast as they won it. Not that spending it is a bad thing because it would help the local economy. Coffee

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyBgood07 on Apr 1, 2014

Now that's Luck!!

here's where I'm lost..

.."Spencers had the choice of taking the full $1 million prize over 30 years or a one-time cash option of $681,000 before taxes.

where do they get 681K from?...does the other 319K not count?...some shady-a$$ed lottery stuff there.

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that if they won 1 million,then why aren't they taxed on the million and who gets the other 319K before the whole prize gets taxed?

It's like MM and PB, some states advertise annuity values as their jackpots even on scratch tickets.  In California, if you win $1 million on $10 scratchers, that's what you win, period (minus taxes).  So, no one gets the $319K, it's just marketing.  I don't think it'll ever change for jackpot games for obvious reasons, but unless we're talking about "Lucky for Life" type instant games with weekly payments, advertising scratcher games with annuity values is misleading in my opinion..

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Now that's Luck!!

here's where I'm lost..

If they took the annuity, the lottery would have invested $681,000 to achieve the $1 million annuity over 30 years.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

simply amazing congrats to the couple .

the timing was right 

Quote: Originally posted by Lynn-Lynn on Mar 31, 2014

What a blessing.

I Agree! 100%

ONEDAY's avatarONEDAY

its all about timing indeed..I can buy a hundred $20 tickets and lose on almost all of them, then next person buys the 101 ticket and wins a millon!

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

Yes that was a great story...happy for them...but the most surprising things about this story for me was a Tire and Auto shop selling lottery tickets and his wife got dropped off somewhere...ROFL..I guess I'm thinking she should have a car...but everybody doesnt driveYes Nod

thaencyder

Now that's Luck!!

here's where I'm lost..

Welcome to the United States, where the only civilized country that taxes lottery winners anywhere in the world and the lottery legally gets away with it by lying about prize money. In this case, the lottery pays the full amount in annuity only but if you choose the cash amount then you only get the $681k. Unbelievable. Again, the only country where this happens. In any other place you win the advertised "jackpot" amount and not get taxed. I don't even mind the taxes to be honest but paying 1/3rd of the advertised amount while plastering pictures of winners all over media and announcing they have three times of the money makes no sense.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations Calvin and Zatera Thumbs Up

rick$'s avatarrick$

could some one tell me where is the 100 have not see it in a while.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Whoops, THRIFTY, did you just "should" on somebody? Shocked

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

That's what I'm talking about.

sflottolover's avatarsflottolover

Wow! Congra!

onlymoney

Crying

Quote: Originally posted by onlymoney on Apr 2, 2014

Crying

Green laugh

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 2, 2014

Green laugh

HaHaHa...ROFL

RedStang's avatarRedStang

What happened to Virginias lucky towel boy. Guess they don't want him in any pics or he was fired already.

Get paid's avatarGet paid

This is insane,congrats to the winners.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Apr 3, 2014

What happened to Virginias lucky towel boy. Guess they don't want him in any pics or he was fired already.

I wondered about that the other day. I have not seen him in ads for a while. They ought to fire that ad agency. From the iconic lottery fairy/Lady luck to him?????????  lol

1977's avatar1977

I love the story...Happy to see someone get a return on their $$$$.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story