One winner in $260 million Powerball jackpot

Jun 12, 2014, 7:40 am (61 comments)

Powerball

One person in Tennessee is $259.8 million richer after picking the winning numbers in the Wednesday Powerball lottery drawing.

The winning numbers drawn for the multi-state lottery's jackpot are 14, 18, 25, 33, and 49, with Powerball number 23. The Tennessee lottery website said the winning ticket was sold in Knoxville.

If the winner chooses the cash payout, it would be worth $153.5 million.

The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510.  The Powerball jackpot has been climbing since April 26.  There were 14 consecutive drawings conducted without a winner before it was hit Wednesday night.

The $259.8 million annuity is the 35th-largest jackpot ever won in the United States, and Powerball's 19th-largest in game history.  The lump-sum cash value of #153.5 million is the 30th-largest ever seen in United States lottery history, and the 14th-largest ever for the Powerball game.

In the last two years, Powerball prizes have increased considerably, due to ticket prices doubling to $2, and California, the nation's most populous state, joining 42 other states, Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands in playing the game.

The biggest winner in the history of Powerball took home $590 million before taxes after purchasing a winning ticket in May 2013 in Florida.

In August 2013, a Powerball jackpot worth $448 million was shared by three winning tickets held by a man in Ham Lake, Minn., a man in Monmouth Junction, N.J., and a group of 16 co-workers in Ocean County, N.J.

The largest lottery jackpot ever was a Mega Millions drawing in 2012 for $656 million. That prize was split among winners in Kansas, Illinois and Maryland.

Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings take place every Wednesday and Saturday.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Piaceri

Congrats to the winner(s)!

rdgrnr?  Did ya finally hit one?

lord voldermort

Wishing we could get a powerball winner in north carolina

4 year drought here... Anyways congrats to the winner

Purchase the Ferrari California I always wanted

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

The dragon lady, is about to make an entrance, and claim responsibility, for making it happen.

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky winner.

Gleno's avatarGleno

Boo Ya  for Knoxville Tennessee  winner. He they invest wisely. 

Banana

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to the wiiner/s....... Thumbs Up hope it's you RidgeBig Grin

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Congrats to the lucky winner!

shadowlady's avatarshadowlady

Well, congratulations to the winner. 

Hmmmm, my brother lives in Knoxville.   Maybe I should give him a call.....

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

SEE

It is fixed!

Tennessee always wins!

Ooooooooooops LOL

Congrats to the winner! Cheers

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

She needed a sale booster,she got one.

SammyJoe10's avatarSammyJoe10

Congrats to the winner(s)!

noise-gate

Hope it's Ridge.

Finally came down from your Mountain retreat huh Rider!

Congratulations to all!

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jun 12, 2014

Hope it's Ridge.

Finally came down from your Mountain retreat huh Rider!

Congratulations to all!

Maybe it is!! 

Congratulations to the lucky winner.

Toronto

2x in 6 months for Tennessee

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

That's rdgnr's neck of the woods. Hope the lottery Gods blessed his ticket. It would be nice to finally have someone from LP hit it big.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jun 12, 2014

That's rdgnr's neck of the woods. Hope the lottery Gods blessed his ticket. It would be nice to finally have someone from LP hit it big.

Thanks everybody but Knoxville is the Wild Wild West from where I'm at back up in here.

It was probably some New York City Banker who came down to foreclose on some widow's houses or something like that.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 12, 2014

Thanks everybody but Knoxville is the Wild Wild West from where I'm at back up in here.

It was probably some New York City Banker who came down to foreclose on some widow's houses or something like that.

I was hoping it was you too my brother....(sigh) Oh well, onward and upward Ridge. Unhappy

One-Day

#@*$#$&%* and the MegaMillions' JP appears to be decreasing not increasing every time I look at it.  Taking too long to grow.

Toronto

Quote: Originally posted by One-Day on Jun 12, 2014

#@*$#$&%* and the MegaMillions' JP appears to be decreasing not increasing every time I look at it.  Taking too long to grow.

People have stopped caring about the lottery altogether.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on Jun 12, 2014

People have stopped caring about the lottery altogether.

The LOTTERY is more desperate for money than the players.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by One-Day on Jun 12, 2014

Mega millions is a RIPOFF.  $5,000 for 4 numbers plus the Mega ball with odds of 1 in 739,688.

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Well, it looks like there will be no jackpot frenzy this summer.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by mrcraft on Jun 12, 2014

They need to create a national lottery game with a $100 Million starting jackpot.

People are not too thrill to play the lottery like they used to.

fellini

Quote: Originally posted by mrcraft on Jun 12, 2014

I was hoping the jackpot would get to $300 million,but it seems like someone always wins before the jackpot gets too big. Yeah there haven't been any big jackpots lately, kind of disappointing since I only play when the jackpots get really big(over 300 million).

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Quote: Originally posted by fellini on Jun 12, 2014

I was hoping the jackpot would get to $300 million,but it seems like someone always wins before the jackpot gets too big. Yeah there haven't been any big jackpots lately, kind of disappointing since I only play when the jackpots get really big(over 300 million).

I'm getting tickets for Saturday's Powerball drawing. $40 million sounds good to me. Yes Nod

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 12, 2014

SEE

It is fixed!

Tennessee always wins!

Ooooooooooops LOL

They had a 61 mil winner earlier this year, other then that it's pretty dry there for wins.

SammyJoe10's avatarSammyJoe10

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Jun 12, 2014

I'm getting tickets for Saturday's Powerball drawing. $40 million sounds good to me. Yes Nod

I'm in. Sounds good to me too! Thumbs Up

bluetung1

No state tax. There'll be hootin an hollerin around the campfire for sure! Congrats to the lucky winner!

RedStang's avatarRedStang

I don't know what's harder. Winning the lotto or a midget trying to bowl a perfect 300.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

How about a one armed midget with a bad case of the crabs?

Scared

I agree!!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

I agree, 40 million will suit me just fine! But 4.00 dollars is all I can play with now, gas going up very soon to over 4.00 dollars a gal! With what's going on in IRAQ now. It's going to get bad  here real soon!

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Not me !

Spent my PB money on the state pic6 game, JP is 20 mils. that's more than enough for me,

and way better odds, but then I,m in the flats and all the winning tix are sold up there, LOL

DaExpert

Congratulations to the lucky winner !!!!!!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations TN Powerball jackpot winning ticket holder/s!  A mighty lovely win. Banana

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 12, 2014

They need to create a national lottery game with a $100 Million starting jackpot.

People are not too thrill to play the lottery like they used to.

You're probably right. Last wednesday was the first time our work pool played in months.

One-Day

It is not $40,000,000.  It's probably around $10,000,000 if we go the quickest route.

Quote: Originally posted by One-Day on Jun 13, 2014

It is not $40,000,000.  It's probably around $10,000,000 if we go the quickest route.

If you can't live a comfortable life with $10,000,000, I don't know what to tell you.

gogidolim

I'm happy with CA SLP. I can still buy a few rental houses with the jackpot. I don't need a huge fortune, but I need a bit of a boost to make me feel good and motivated. I am still young and I still want to do a few things for decent money and happiness.

WesleyThomas

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Jun 12, 2014

I Agree!

WesleyThomas

Congratulations to the winner maybe next time

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Mega Millions had a winner tonight too. Both games reset in the same week. What a bummer. It'll be a while before we see big numbers in either game. *sigh*

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jun 14, 2014

Mega Millions had a winner tonight too. Both games reset in the same week. What a bummer. It'll be a while before we see big numbers in either game. *sigh*

Unbelievable. They must be scratching their heads at the lotto head quarters.

mrcraft's avatarmrcraft

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 14, 2014

Unbelievable. They must be scratching their heads at the lotto head quarters.

Yup.  Yes Nod

I got my tickets for tonight's Powerball drawing. I'll gladly settle for the base $40 million annuity or $14.1 million cash after 39.6% federal taxes.

I agree when they both get hit it is a bummer!  Darn!  Congratulations to the lucky ones!

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Jun 14, 2014

I agree when they both get hit it is a bummer!  Darn!  Congratulations to the lucky ones!

Mega millions and Powerball small prizes are too hard to win. Small wins keep you in the game. They need to change the matrices again. I would quit playing any lottery game, where I can't win small prizes to keep me playing. The starting jackpot levels are not doing any good, it takes forever to reach $200 million.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 13, 2014

You're probably right. Last wednesday was the first time our work pool played in months.

Mega millions and Powerball starting jackpots are too low relative to the odds of winning. Lottery players are not stupid, they are not playing like they used to because of it.

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Jun 14, 2014

I got my tickets for tonight's Powerball drawing. I'll gladly settle for the base $40 million annuity or $14.1 million cash after 39.6% federal taxes.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Chris is gunna want 10.8% also.

Just the same I agree and would gladly settle for that net,

or even the 7 mils. net from the state's pic6 game.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by lord voldermort on Jun 12, 2014

Wishing we could get a powerball winner in north carolina

4 year drought here... Anyways congrats to the winner

Purchase the Ferrari California I always wanted

Save your money to play in a winning state.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Jun 12, 2014

The dragon lady, is about to make an entrance, and claim responsibility, for making it happen.

Why not? The Dragon Lady picks the lottery winners. LOL

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 12, 2014

SEE

It is fixed!

Tennessee always wins!

Ooooooooooops LOL

When are you going to win a lottery jackpot Buddy? Everybody at lottery post wants you to win.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 12, 2014

You will win a lottery jackpot soon.Todd and the lottery post community will be very happy for you. Go and buy some tickets.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 14, 2014

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Chris is gunna want 10.8% also.

Just the same I agree and would gladly settle for that net,

or even the 7 mils. net from the state's pic6 game.

I thought that lottery winnings were tax free in New Jersey.

BellasBMWLucki

i can't believe four long draining years.Roll Eyes

outlandish imo.

NC state make so much en revenue,

mi father say down there/but give back so little.

NJ had multiple,i love that,since i am in nyc/nj tri-state.

4 years is way too long,I hope your going to win next time.

Adios!

Noche.

Quote: Originally posted by BellasBMWLucki on Jun 16, 2014

i can't believe four long draining years.Roll Eyes

outlandish imo.

NC state make so much en revenue,

mi father say down there/but give back so little.

NJ had multiple,i love that,since i am in nyc/nj tri-state.

4 years is way too long,I hope your going to win next time.

Adios!

Noche.

NC has a great cash 5 that sometimes grows close to 1mill.

Rman313's avatarRman313

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 15, 2014

Save your money to play in a winning state.

Cheers I do believe the Motor City or just Michigan in general will be the next big MM and or PB winning state.

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 15, 2014

I thought that lottery winnings were tax free in New Jersey.

No, 10.8% the highest in the country.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 21, 2014

No, 10.8% the highest in the country.

I think what the other poster meant was New Jersey is free to tax you as high as they want! And they do!

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jun 23, 2014

I think what the other poster meant was New Jersey is free to tax you as high as they want! And they do!

I think you're referring to Thrifty, 

well ok, that makes perfect sense then.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story