Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's been almost a year of cutting my lottery spending and so glad I cut back

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 2 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
Winning makes me smile.
bel air maryland
United States
Member #90251
April 24, 2010
4849 Posts
Posted: September 26, 2014, 1:01 am - IP Logged

I'm looking forward to sharing in two more days that I've gone 30 days without gambling! I'm a gambling addict and played scratchoffs every day for 15 years. I hit rock bottom. Got tired of doing that to myself. Today is day 28, and I have money in the bank, got some new clothes, went out on the weekends, and have food in the fridge. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't have those before. But I'm a gambling addict and it was out of control. No more. No more losing $200 in a day and feeling that guilt. It's just a constant cycle. Some people can handle it, some can't. Some know they're addicted, some haven't admitted it yet. I tried to quit a thousand times. But today is 28 days, and I feel better than ever.

Good for you, for realizing it and doing what you knew you had to do. Most people don't realize how much they spend day to day. A few $$$ here, a few $$$ there, they don't miss it, but it does add up. A few years back I saved all my losing tickets for  an entire year just out of curiosity. At the end of the year I added them up and was  amazed at what I spent. I did that 2 years in a row just to see if the first year was a fluke. It wasn't. Every one keeps track of their winnings but not their loses, so they  have no idea what they spend. I think most would under estimate it.

Again, way to go! Good luck with your decision.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: September 26, 2014, 2:03 am - IP Logged

good on everyone for   deciding , and  succeeding in cutting back. i  only cut back on keno, but still am keeping track of my  annual lotto purchases,.  Just so i know the amount and can look honestly at myself.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

addai1516's avatar - lib
      Newyork City NY / westland michigan
      United States
      Member #93153
      June 23, 2010
      4087 Posts
      Posted: September 26, 2014, 11:48 am - IP Logged

good on everyone for   deciding , and  succeeding in cutting back. i  only cut back on keno, but still am keeping track of my  annual lotto purchases,.  Just so i know the amount and can look honestly at myself.

very cool , but i never cut back i play accordingly to my budget because i love numbers lol sometimes i spend $10 or 5bucks or $20 on paydays, numbers are my hobby lol. Am sure most people got hobbies and it varies from person to person. Some people are drug users , others are thieves some are bank robbers , or armed robbers , oh some prefer chasing women , womanizers , some prefer stealing cable.. My question now is missing lp member friends how long you all gonna  hide out ? did you all win the big one ? lol

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
        Member #158848
        September 5, 2014
        294 Posts
        Posted: September 26, 2014, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

very cool , but i never cut back i play accordingly to my budget because i love numbers lol sometimes i spend $10 or 5bucks or $20 on paydays, numbers are my hobby lol. Am sure most people got hobbies and it varies from person to person. Some people are drug users , others are thieves some are bank robbers , or armed robbers , oh some prefer chasing women , womanizers , some prefer stealing cable.. My question now is missing lp member friends how long you all gonna  hide out ? did you all win the big one ? lol

Exactly!

• Set a monthly budget you can afford and stick with it. 
        • Never play with money needed to pay bills.
        • Never dip into your savings account/retirement account/life savings.
        • Don't play until jackpots reach a certain minimum - perhaps $150 mill on PB or MM, and $200 grand on a state Cash 5 game.
        • In states that offer both PB and MM, just play the one you like best and forget the other one.
        • Just buy tickets/cards one day a week. If you're constantly running to the store every day, you'll be tempted to buy more than you should.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Nice, now put the money you're saving in the market. I've been on a stock buying spree.

Hi IPlayWeekly,

I really don'thave a good grasp on the stock market it seems like I'm aways expecting the worst to happen.I tend to be conservative with money (with the exception of my 3 years throwing money into the lottery and getting nothing back in return). Some people can do great with stocks so I am glad that you are doing well with stocks.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Good for you!  My budget is two dollars a week.  Total of $104 a year.... Had to o thus for self control.  Too easy to be enticed to spend everything you have to get nothing in return.... Still get to enjoy the fun of predicting what numbers are drawn.  Can still dream....

Hi Zinniagirl,

Thanks. Good for you having a budget of two dollars a week. It still keeps you in the game and like you say, you can still dream. I'm much happier being on my budget and feel a sense of relief. Before I started playing the lottery I was always realistic about my chances of wiinning the lottery and had only played a few times a year before 2010. I know understand how easy it can be to become addicted to playing the lottery.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I'll be cutting back too, it's hopeless unless you live in California.

Hi jjtheprince,

Glad to hear you will be cutting back. It will make you feel better to spend less. I am assuming your statement about California is in reference. To that state winning lot's of Power all jackpots. I agree about it being frustrating but the bigger states like California have a greater percentage of people who play so it's not surprising that state would have more wins. Wish I lived there because of the nice weather they have.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Shyguiter.

Yea, awhile back I quit the MM

Then I cut back on the PB to only when the JP got big, still doing that w/ the multi-plier

Then they recently changed the JC5 game matrix, I played everyday for years, same #set, now I play only 1 QP when the JP gets over 250G

and I happen to be at a  store that sells tix.

and I still play my state's pick 6 game $1 a draw twice a week.

So overall I gone from $19 a week to somewhere between $2 and $7 a week.

Hi Haymaker,

Good for you being able to cut back from 19 a week to 2 and 7 dollars a week. Playing your state game is smart because the odds are usually much better (even though the payout will not be the same).

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I have cut back also.  The odds suck, the same places win, not very many people win and I still feel that it is not a truly random game.

Hi bigbear29,

Glad to hear you have cut back too. You are right about the odds being bad but that's why the lottery makes out so well. They are hoping people will keep spending money chasing a dream that for 99 percent of us will never come to fruition.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I read in one of Todd's posts, "It is all about timing and knowing when to quit".  I paraphrased it and he said it in 2005 or2007.US Flag

Hi music*,

I wasn't playing the lottery in either of those years. If Todd said that then he is a wise man.

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

I think it's great that you were able to cut down on your gambling. More power to you!

Hi maringoman,

Thanks for your kind words. I am feeling happier and more free since my reality is back in check, lol.

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: September 26, 2014, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Good for you less people that play makes it better odds for those that doHurray!

Hi helpmewin,

Unfortunately having one person like myself playng far less doesn't really change the odds for you. If you think it makes a difference though, then all the best to you.

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: September 26, 2014, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm looking forward to sharing in two more days that I've gone 30 days without gambling! I'm a gambling addict and played scratchoffs every day for 15 years. I hit rock bottom. Got tired of doing that to myself. Today is day 28, and I have money in the bank, got some new clothes, went out on the weekends, and have food in the fridge. It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't have those before. But I'm a gambling addict and it was out of control. No more. No more losing $200 in a day and feeling that guilt. It's just a constant cycle. Some people can handle it, some can't. Some know they're addicted, some haven't admitted it yet. I tried to quit a thousand times. But today is 28 days, and I feel better than ever.

Hi OldSchoolHits,

Congratulations on making it for nearly 30 days without gambling. That's quite an accomplishment and you deserve to feel proud of yourself. I can only imagine the rollercoaster you must have been on for those 15 years. One of the reasons I had to cut cut out the scratch tickets a year ago was because I couldn't stand all the chasing tickets and winning nothing. I was pretty unhappy and wanted to get control of myself again. I understand that for all those years the addiction took your life but now that you have committed to change that cycle, you will be so much happier. It must feel great to know that your back in control of your life and your life is just beginning. You have taken the first step by admitting you had a problem with gambling. Just know you have the support of everyone here. Wish you the best in life.

AaronTheGreat's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcSDtm-Zi_7HYWE6twScyomGewwtVxzvcLKMMvZcHdADgJIC
                            On Top of The World!
                            United States
                            Member #149192
                            November 22, 2013
                            8 Posts
                            Posted: September 26, 2014, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Good for you less people that play makes it better odds for those that doHurray!

REALLY?!

Are we talking raffle or lottery?

Life is good... take full advantage of it!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                              United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3850 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2014, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Hi Haymaker,

Good for you being able to cut back from 19 a week to 2 and 7 dollars a week. Playing your state game is smart because the odds are usually much better (even though the payout will not be the same).

On friday I spent $3

$1 on JC5 that JP was 490G

$2 on pick6 for monday & thursday current JP is $2,9 Mils. w/ a C/V of $2 Mil. - about 50% in tax= $1 Mil. yeah, I'll take it.

Won't even need anonymity, cause no one will notice. Cool

Ok, back to the game. Cheers

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.