California nail technician wins $228M Powerball jackpot

Sep 26, 2014, 11:17 pm (57 comments)

Powerball

Wants to remain "normal man"

A nail technician who has played the lottery over the years by scraping together nickels and dimes from tips at the salon is now a multi-millionaire several times over.

Vinh Nguyen claimed his $228.4 million jackpot late Thursday afternoon, after buying the winning Powerball ticket at a family-run chain, Key Market on Sourth Norfolk Street in San Mateo, according an announcement on Friday by the California Lottery.

Nguyen was the the sole winner in Wednesday night's Powerball drawing matching the numbers 7, 14, 24, 41, 21 and the Powerball number 26. His first thought, according to the lottery staff he spoke to: "I read the numbers, I didn't think I had won."

Nguyen declined media interviews. His age, city of residence and where he works have not been disclosed. However, people who work in the same mall said Nguyen works at Nail Resort, directly acros from the market. No one was at the shop on Friday, and no one answered the phone call there, either.

In a private interview with lottery officials, Nguyen said he has been playing the lottery for the last half decade, deciding how much he spends every week depending on how well he does in tips at work.

Nguyen spent $30 buying 15 Powerball tickets for Wednesday's drawing. He decided on the "annuity payment option," which will give him the full $228,467,735 jackpot paid out over 30 years. Lottery spokesman Gregory Parashak said put simply, that amount turns out to be about $138,000,000 spread out over three decades after taxes.

Ngueyn said there was no great secret or science to the methodology he used for picking his numbers.

"They were all random," Nguyen said. " Whatever numbers come into my head I pick."

The win also benefits the market that sold Nguyen the lucky ticket. Owners Jack and Nancy Dehoff will get $1 million.

"We don't have final plans yet for the money," Chris Dehoff, president of Dehoff's Key Markets, told lottery officials in a statement. "We have all kinds of improvements for the stores that we are always working on and we are discussing other things. This is a nice windfall since the margins in our business are so thin."

The market has sold a $10,000 winning lottery ticket before, but nothing like this.

As for Nguyen, he told the California Lottery he has no plans for the money yet. He did say, however, he doesn't want the money to go to his head.

"I just want to be a normal man," Nguyen said.

Thanks to leland for the tip.

NBC Bay Area

Comments

sully16's avatarsully16

He nailed it! Congrats to the lucky guy.Cheers

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

I like to see folks like this win.

Nice story.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

The life changer is right here. Is he 26 years old? Congratulations Mr Nguyen.

Also nice is the fact that the store that sold the life changer will get a cool $1M. CA lottery you rock!

Toronto

Congrats to him. and he chose the annuity

Shelby Mustang

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Sep 26, 2014

Awesome quip.. the nail guy nailed it for real LOL.

user71926's avataruser71926

Congrats Vinh!  My friend's name is Vinh too I may get lucy now LOL!

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Yes, Congrats to him! Yes Nod

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Sep 26, 2014

The life changer is right here. Is he 26 years old? Congratulations Mr Nguyen.

Also nice is the fact that the store that sold the life changer will get a cool $1M. CA lottery you rock!

Tried this so many times. Can't imagine it actually working.

myturn's avatarmyturn

The winner should be allowed to remain anonymous. If I won that much I would not want my identity published. 

Who would want every nutcase knowing they had that much?

noise-gate

Congratulations....Party

Good Luck with trying to lead a "normal Life" .

l must say that l admire his stance in having his " interview over the phone" , no cameras flashing in your face, none of that cardboard cheque crap they want you to hold...In fact one could ask and answer your own questions..

Example : How did l pick my numbers ?- let me see, oh yeah on page #1 ... It says l wrote down the numbers of my neighbors license plates.

Do l intend to take the cash lump sum or annuity? -page 3 says "......

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Sep 26, 2014

I like to see folks like this win.

Nice story.

I Agree! ..especially reading about him counting nickels and dimes hoping to make it big. l wonder how long it took him to come up with $30.00?

PrinceRene

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Sep 27, 2014

The winner should be allowed to remain anonymous. If I won that much I would not want my identity published. 

If someone from California was able to claim the jackpot anonymously, the  conspiracy folks would claim no one got the money and MUSL, aka the Illuminati, was keeping the money all for themselves. That is why MUSL is rigging the drawings in California's favor, so they can keep the money and use the cash to buy chemtrails which they can spray on the unsuspecting public.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations to the Winner Spend WiselyParty

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Twitchnow if he can avoid the scam of selling his future payments for lump sums , he should do well

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

"whatever numbers came into my head"

Seems I've heard this from others, including David Lee Edwards.

Hmmm... maybe a method worth trying.

Congrats to the winner. as for remaining normal, good luck w/that. now look for your "new normal"

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Came forward already  and selected the annuity ???  Hmmmmm, might be interesting to find out how this winner is doing in another 5-10 years.

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Sep 27, 2014

I Agree! ..especially reading about him counting nickels and dimes hoping to make it big. l wonder how long it took him to come up with $30.00?

Who tip$ their nail tech with nickels and dimes?  I am way over tipping!

Congratulations on your big win!  Enjoy your new life.

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

Quote: Originally posted by PrinceRene on Sep 27, 2014

If someone from California was able to claim the jackpot anonymously, the  conspiracy folks would claim no one got the money and MUSL, aka the Illuminati, was keeping the money all for themselves. That is why MUSL is rigging the drawings in California's favor, so they can keep the money and use the cash to buy chemtrails which they can spray on the unsuspecting public.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Sep 27, 2014

Tried this so many times. Can't imagine it actually working.

All systems/strategies have one thing in common, the winner did buy a ticket. Playing fortune cookies numbers or receipt numbers or quick picks or mistake tickets or cutting in line strategy aka the Gloria Mackenzie strategy all mean the winner did buy a ticket.

I'm still going to play tonites powerball. Thumbs Up if you're playing

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation Mr. Vinh......

Lol good one....

One-Day

"I just want to be a normal man," Nguyen said.

That's what they all say.  Congrats anyway, Viet.

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Sep 27, 2014

Who tip$ their nail tech with nickels and dimes?  I am way over tipping!

Congratulations on your big win!  Enjoy your new life.

Lol I know right Big Grin

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Sep 27, 2014

I Agree!

PrinceRene

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Sep 27, 2014

I Agree!

It's funny you'd agree with him to allow people to claim anonymously. If someone from California ever claimed the jackpot anonymously, I'm sure you'd be the first one to cry foul and demand a full investigation.

It's funny you'd agree with him to allow people to claim anonymously. If someone from California ever claimed the jackpot anonymously, I'm sure you'd be the first one to cry foul and demand a full investigation.

First thing you did wrong,  was assume again...You know what they say about that.    Second,  everyone should have an option of claiming anonymously,  no matter what state.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc
Number of Winners
on 9/24/2014
    Non-Jackpot Prizes
Won on 9/24/2014

932,812 $18,736,570
golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

LOL

Nice Sully!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

willis

Igamble's avatarIgamble

am happy for V. Nguyen win ,now he can go to a nail salon  himself and say - Do my nails b...h !Wink

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

If the jackpot is big and I hit it, I  would also take the annuity. Getting 4.3 million a year after taxes for 30 years is fine by me. I would never have to worry about being broke. for 30 years. I can blow through $4.3 million and still have another $4.3 million  deposited in his account the next year and the following year and on and on and on.Big Grin

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Goteki54 on Sep 27, 2014

If the jackpot is big and I hit it, I  would also take the annuity. Getting 4.3 million a year after taxes for 30 years is fine by me. I would never have to worry about being broke. for 30 years. I can blow through $4.3 million and still have another $4.3 million  deposited in his account the next year and the following year and on and on and on.Big Grin

l think it all boils down to choice. If one knows that you pretty reckless with money, then the annuity is the perfect present.If you blow through your stash in the 1st year, you have time to push the rest button the following year and make changes. Many of those who have ended up in bankruptcy have not been truthful with themselves about their spending habits.

First and foremost though is to factor in your current age. If you in your 30's- NP with the annuity, 50's-60's- chances are your money will outlive you and it could end up with your wife or kids...hopefully the * kids are not potheads or serious druggies .. you could end up spinning in your grave.

luckyladie

I'll take the lump sum. I might drop dead the next day.

gjon

That is my powerball number and I am glad for this person to win. Maybe one day powerball 26 will come with all of my numbers.EEnjoy

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Green laugh

Sully, you are very quick witted!

Sidenote:

In Vietnamese the name Nguyen is pronounced Win.

So I guess we can say Vinh Win wins!

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Sep 27, 2014

Green laugh

Sully, you are very quick witted!

Sidenote:

In Vietnamese the name Nguyen is pronounced Win.

So I guess we can say Vinh Win wins!

lol

Scratch$'s avatarScratch$

Depends on your age, IMHO. Those 50+ might be wiser to take the lump.

music*'s avatarmusic*

DohAge and health are factors in the Lump Sum v. Annuity choice.Party

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Sep 27, 2014

l think it all boils down to choice. If one knows that you pretty reckless with money, then the annuity is the perfect present.If you blow through your stash in the 1st year, you have time to push the rest button the following year and make changes. Many of those who have ended up in bankruptcy have not been truthful with themselves about their spending habits.

First and foremost though is to factor in your current age. If you in your 30's- NP with the annuity, 50's-60's- chances are your money will outlive you and it could end up with your wife or kids...hopefully the * kids are not potheads or serious druggies .. you could end up spinning in your grave.

I'm too old for the annuity, AND I like to spend. Green laugh  I'd have to take the lump sum, and have a trust dole out an allowance. Yes Nod

Congrats to Vinh "Win" on the win!Dance

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

30 year annuity

ROTFLOL

Hit With Stick

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

The annuity isn't paid out in 30 equal payments. It is based on a graduated scale with the bulk of the payment amount coming towards the end.

His first year payment will be roughly $2.4 million after the current top tax rate of 39.6% is factored in. His future payment will be larger initially but the tax rate may dictate what he eventually nets which may be less if the tax rate is increased.

FYI, California also has a 13.3% income tax rate which has yet to be applied to lottery winnings. That may very well change in the near future as the state is suffering financially and they will seek out any means of revenue available to them.

Skibunnylk's avatarSkibunnylk

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Sep 29, 2014

The annuity isn't paid out in 30 equal payments. It is based on a graduated scale with the bulk of the payment amount coming towards the end.

His first year payment will be roughly $2.4 million after the current top tax rate of 39.6% is factored in. His future payment will be larger initially but the tax rate may dictate what he eventually nets which may be less if the tax rate is increased.

FYI, California also has a 13.3% income tax rate which has yet to be applied to lottery winnings. That may very well change in the near future as the state is suffering financially and they will seek out any means of revenue available to them.

The top federal tax rate may very well be 39.6% but that doesn't apply to lottery winnings as that is subject to a flat 25% federal deduction.

Not sure where you got the 13.3% California income tax rate but according to USA MEGA California doesn't have a state income tax. How can they even contemplate implementing a future state income tax when there is none to begin with?

Quote: Originally posted by luckyladie on Sep 27, 2014

I'll take the lump sum. I might drop dead the next day.

I would too! No one can predict the future so SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Quote: Originally posted by Skibunnylk on Sep 29, 2014

The top federal tax rate may very well be 39.6% but that doesn't apply to lottery winnings as that is subject to a flat 25% federal deduction.

Not sure where you got the 13.3% California income tax rate but according to USA MEGA California doesn't have a state income tax. How can they even contemplate implementing a future state income tax when there is none to begin with?

Lottery winnings are taxed as regular income. The lottery deducts 25% upfront for Federal withholding, but in all likelihood you will pay much more because the added income will push you into a higher tax bracket. A lot of players don't realize this and that is where they get into trouble. It's better to just assume you will only net ~60% of any prize over $1 million.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

That 25% is just the initial withholding. The tax rate is still 39.6%. You still owe the difference unless you mitigate your tax burden.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Not sure if i would ask but I wonder if got paid for the 1+1 and the 3 other pb hits on that ticket.

PrinceRene

California does indeed have a 13.3% top tax rate.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-california.aspx

"12.30 percent on taxable income of $508,501 and above." 

"1 percent surcharge, the Mental Health Services Tax, is collected on taxable incomes of $1 million or more, making California's highest marginal rate 13.30 percent"

Currently, the state of California does not tax lottery winnings but that could all change. New Jersey went from having zero income tax on lottery winnings to having an 11% state tax on lottery winnings. 

"N.J. Lottery goes from zero to highest tax rate in the USA"

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/196448

If it happened in NJ, it could happen in CA. This is a 30 year annuity Mr. Nguyen signed up for. Lots of things can happen in 30 years. If CA goes through another 

budget crisis like they did in 2008 to 2012 you had better believe the state government will look for every source of tax revenue which may or may not include a tax on lottery winnings.

"The U.S. state of California had a budget crisis in which it faced a shortfall of at least $11.2 billion,[1] projected to top $40 billion over the 2009–2010 fiscal years"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9312_California_budget_crisis

So if you signed up for the 30 year annuity you may be looking at a potential of a 52.9% marginal tax rate (39.6 + 13.3) on your annual income from the lottery. Personally, I'd take the cash instead of the annuity pay all income taxes for 2014 up front, then move to Nevada and live there 183 days out of the year to become a Nevada resident and pay zero state income tax on future earnings.

Prob988

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Sep 27, 2014

First thing you did wrong,  was assume again...You know what they say about that.    Second,  everyone should have an option of claiming anonymously,  no matter what state.

Well, if I were a conspiracy theorist, and I wanted people to think that I wasn't out of my mind (even though most people would see through it and realize that I was in fact out of my mind), I would certainly argue for anonymous prizes.   This was I could claim that Obama was winning every prize in California.

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Sep 29, 2014

That 25% is just the initial withholding. The tax rate is still 39.6%. You still owe the difference unless you mitigate your tax burden.

Thanks for the clarification as I took the assumption that just 25% federal tax was withheld because the media keeps touting after tax numbers and I thought it was the final figure. Just goes to show you how manipulative the media is in distorting the true facts.

Quote: Originally posted by PrinceRene on Sep 30, 2014

"1 percent surcharge, the Mental Health Services Tax, is collected on taxable incomes of $1 million or more, making California's highest marginal rate 13.30 percent"

Currently, the state of California does not tax lottery winnings but that could all change. New Jersey went from having zero income tax on lottery winnings to having an 11% state tax on lottery winnings. 

If it happened in NJ, it could happen in CA. This is a 30 year annuity Mr. Nguyen signed up for. Lots of things can happen in 30 years. If CA goes through another 

budget crisis like they did in 2008 to 2012 you had better believe the state government will look for every source of tax revenue which may or may not include a tax on lottery winnings.

"The U.S. state of California had a budget crisis in which it faced a shortfall of at least $11.2 billion,[1] projected to top $40 billion over the 2009–2010 fiscal years"

So if you signed up for the 30 year annuity you may be looking at a potential of a 52.9% marginal tax rate (39.6 + 13.3) on your annual income from the lottery. Personally, I'd take the cash instead of the annuity pay all income taxes for 2014 up front, then move to Nevada and live there 183 days out of the year to become a Nevada resident and pay zero state income tax on future earnings.

Thank you for the update. I didn't realize California had a state income tax and was shocked to see that at 13.3% it is probably the highest in the nation. You are absolutely correct about California possibly changing their guideline in the future on not charging a state tax on lottery winnings as that state is in dire straits financially.

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Sep 30, 2014

Not sure if i would ask but I wonder if got paid for the 1+1 and the 3 other pb hits on that ticket.

Lol! with the size of the jackpot that he won, he probably wasn't too concerned about a few extra dollars.

Get paid's avatarGet paid

Congrats Mr. Nguyen,your life will now be forever changed. Normal is out the window.Again congratulations.

PrinceRene

Quote: Originally posted by Get paid on Oct 1, 2014

Congrats Mr. Nguyen,your life will now be forever changed. Normal is out the window.Again congratulations.

No one even knows what he looks like and Nguyen is a common surname for Vietnamese people. He'll be able to blend in and live a normal life if he wants just as long as he isn't driving around in flashy cars and wearing expensive clothes. 

It would be like if your name was Steve Smith and you won the lottery and no one knew what you look like. Someone could ask, "Are you the Steve Smith I read about in the newspaper?" and you could always say, "No. That's another Steve Smith not me."

dognabit

Thankfully, my name is Rusty Shackleford. A very common name in these parts.

Wink

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by PrinceRene on Sep 30, 2014

Yea ! it could happen in Cali.

But would it happen in the middle of the night and be retroactive ?

Or maybe it would be by I & R

Yeah, I like to see that billboard on the freeways. LOL

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

WTG!!! Very smart.

txn0002

Yes. Nguyen is my last name too! But I didn't win. It could have been a Nguyen Nguyen situation.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story