Missing 86-year-old Detroit lottery winner found dead

Feb 4, 2015, 7:26 pm (30 comments)

Michigan Lottery

DETROIT, Mich. — An 86-year-old Detroit man whose family said he disappeared a day after winning $20,000 in the lottery in December was found stabbed to death in a vacant house, authorities said on Wednesday.

Arthur Neal Jr. was found dead on Sunday afternoon in the 15000 block of Mansfield Street, said Officer Nicole Kirkwood, a Detroit police spokeswoman.

Neal was reported missing on Dec. 28 after disappearing Dec. 20 from his home in the 17200 block of Trinity Street.

(See Elderly Detroit man who recently won lottery missing, Lottery Post, Dec. 29, 2014.)

Family members told local media that Neal won $20,000 in the lottery on Dec. 19.  Police have not confirmed the lottery win, Kirkwood said.  A Michigan Lottery representative could not be reached immediately for comment.

Police are working to find out if Neal's winning $20,000 check was ever cashed.

An autopsy determined that he died from multiple stab wounds, the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

This is so sad and horrible. I had a bad feeling that he wasn't ok, but I was hoping he would be found safe. Condolences to Arthur's family. Unhappy

SammyJoe10's avatarSammyJoe10

So sad. RIP.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

... over 20k$.  tragic

emilyg's avataremilyg

Oh no!   So sad.

ESR54's avatarESR54

Wow,  They could of let him live longer, and enjoy his $20K. That is wicked,wickedness.

PrinceRene

Stabbed to death over 20K. Imagine the potential dangers to you if you win tonight's $317 million PB annuity. Stay safe everyone and try to be aware of your surroundings.

onenumber's avataronenumber

This is very sad but it is also a lesson not to share this kind of information.  Keep it to yourself.

sully16's avatarsully16

Very sad, RIP Arthur.

lynki516's avatarlynki516

This is what the world is all about these days- you can't trust anyone. That is so sad.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

R.I.P.  Mr. Arthur Neal Jr.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Quote: Originally posted by PrinceRene on Feb 4, 2015

Stabbed to death over 20K. Imagine the potential dangers to you if you win tonight's $317 million PB annuity. Stay safe everyone and try to be aware of your surroundings.

This is part of the reason why publicity should be made optional for lottery winners. R.I.P. Mr Neal. Blue Angel

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

Quote: Originally posted by MzDuffleBaglady on Feb 4, 2015

Amen

noise-gate

Here, right Here is another reason why l  prefer anonymity over disclosure. This Gentlemen may not have met his end had he been allowed to claim anonymously.Another innocent life lost.

Sleep well Mr O Neal. 

gr8ter's avatargr8ter

Quote: Originally posted by MzDuffleBaglady on Feb 4, 2015

R.I.P.

SO SAD

waltoy's avatarwaltoy

this world we live in is so cold, where is the love gone?

R.I.P Mr. Arthur.

Andis's avatarAndis

Very sad.  Rest in Peace Mr. Neal.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I Agree!, emilyg! Disapprove

majestic1070's avatarmajestic1070

That's why I think states should have the winners remain anonymous.

JoeCanWin

Quote: Originally posted by waltoy on Feb 4, 2015

this world we live in is so cold, where is the love gone?

R.I.P Mr. Arthur.

Especially in a place like Detroit, MI

Family should have never let him go anywhere alone after the win.

He just may have told one person, the wrong person, and that caused the beginning of his end.

$20K is a lot of money to a junkie, or any number of other desperados. 

Very sad indeed.

RIP

I think the lottery should only bring to light the "questionable" winners, that may need investigation or something.

It is just too dangerous to tell the world that so and so won millions.

It is just like asking for problems that most lottery winners are not familiar with, and thus, are simply not ready and able to deal with the downside(s) of winning.

I wish it could be anonymous in MA, but it isn't, not yet.

myturn's avatarmyturn

The President should issue an executive requiring lotteries to offer anonymity to all winners.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Twitch

str8ca$hhomie's avatarstr8ca$hhomie

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Feb 4, 2015

This is part of the reason why publicity should be made optional for lottery winners. R.I.P. Mr Neal. Blue Angel

I wish to express my sincere condolences to the Arthur Neal Jr. Family ! Couldn't have said it better Pie.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Anybody know what prize he won? If it was a Michigan only game he could of claimed anonymously. You have to keep hush hush about winning any amount of money nowadays......sad.

Get paid's avatarGet paid

So sad my condolences to the family.The main reason to remain anonymous,in some states you must show up in person,but you can come incognito.A guy somewhere can,t remember where,came in a bear costume to pick up the check.

Gleno's avatarGleno

This is a sad story to read.   Makes one think twice about chasing those big pots.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Feb 5, 2015

This is a sad story to read.   Makes one think twice about chasing those big pots.

people have been killed over a heck of a lot less then $20k and over much sillier notions

I just wonder whar he was when he found out and who was listening

Tami333's avatarTami333

This story made me so sad.  As a lottery player, I just think about how excited he probably was to win.  My prayers go out to his family.  Bless you Mr. Neal. Blue Angel

(From Detroit CBS Local site)

DETROIT (AP) — A young man has been charged with murder in the death of an 86-year-old man who disappeared after telling people that he won a lottery prize.  Quanzell Hood was charged Friday with first-degree murder. The 20-year-old is in jail and will appear in court Saturday.  Hood is accused of killing Neal while trying to get money from him.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Tami333 on Feb 7, 2015

This story made me so sad.  As a lottery player, I just think about how excited he probably was to win.  My prayers go out to his family.  Bless you Mr. Neal. Blue Angel

DETROIT (AP) — A young man has been charged with murder in the death of an 86-year-old man who disappeared after telling people that he won a lottery prize.  Quanzell Hood was charged Friday with first-degree murder. The 20-year-old is in jail and will appear in court Saturday.  Hood is accused of killing Neal while trying to get money from him.

Ugh. Poor Arthur didn't deserve what happened to him. Hope that punk spends the rest of his life in prison.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Sad story Rest in Peace Mr. Arthur Neal. I wonder why it took his family 8 days to report him missing I sure do hope they find the thug that did this.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by Tami333 on Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the update Tamii Thumbs Up

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story