Massachusetts man claims $15 million scratch-off prize

Mar 4, 2015, 2:45 pm (25 comments)

Massachusetts Lottery

BOSTON — For just the second time in Massachusetts Lottery history, someone has won $15 million from a scratch ticket.

Michael Milford, 28 of Melrose, bought his lucky "World Class Millions" ticket on Sunday at the Boyles Family Market on Mystic Avenue in Medford.

The store will get a $50,000 bonus for selling the $30 ticket. It's the highest bonus paid out to a store by the lottery.

Milford picked up his prize with his fiancée at lottery headquarters in Braintree Tuesday. He chose the cash and walked away with a one-time payment of $9,750,000.

He told lottery officials he'll use the money to pay for his wedding, pay off bills and help his family.

It costs $30 to buy a "World Class Millions" instant scratch ticket and there are a total of four $15 million prizes.

The first one was claimed in July 2014, so there are still two more out there.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

CBS

Comments

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations on your win and best wishes for your upcoming wedding!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations Michael Milford Thumbs Up I wish Oklahoma had scratchers like that our biggest is $5 for $40,000.00. Bang Head

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Mar 4, 2015

Congratulations Michael Milford Thumbs Up I wish Oklahoma had scratchers like that our biggest is $5 for $40,000.00. Bang Head

Indiana just started selling a 7 million dollar scratch off this week the cost is $30.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Congradulations to you and your family.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Sorry misspelled that word.

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Congrats, he should consider a pre nup... having that kind of money changes things

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Congratulation to Michael Milford, on his win! The last ticket I buy $30 tickets in In. it had 5 or 6 pages of games but I think it was only worth a million. I can't remember about 3 months ago.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Nice win and congrats! I'm not brave enough to spend $30 dollars on one ticket. 

Lynn-Lynn's avatarLynn-Lynn

Congratulations .And best wishes to you and your wife to be

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I have never bought a $20 scratch off and so I'm amazed when I see people buying multiple $30 ones. Congratulations Mr Milford Cheers

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

30$ ticket.  wow.  Congratulations!

Massplayer

Congrats.  Watched the local news last night.  Never bought $30 ticket. Bought couple of times $20, $10 ticket, never hit anything.  Don't have that kind of money to try $30 ticket.  Stopped at a supermarket today, got few new $5 dollor card, no luck.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Mar 4, 2015

If you state has MegaMillions then you can buy 30 chances to win $15M for $30. Wink

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

Lucky guy with a lucky chic and lucky smile he already had it made so he didn't have to win let's hope he keeps his life and chic under control now but I think a lot of women will fight for him since she doesn't have the ring yet so be careful girl . lol Boxing similar scratch off ticket in Texas cost $50 per ticket but you are more likely to win $20 back they always keep the $30 anyway lol . And I still never see people possing for big win from Texas even though they are the one having record sales and profit I guess I know where to go scratch for gold now. Wow he does look so much like Mr grinder that plays professional poker games on tv I guess I know for fact the only thing he be grinding tonight am sure.

Suzy-Dittlenose

$30 dollar tickets?....Ouch!  Cussing Face

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 4, 2015

If you state has MegaMillions then you can buy 30 chances to win $15M for $30. Wink

I'm not a $30 player but if I was and was in Mass. I'd play the scratcher:

Mass. lottery $30 scratcher:

$15,000,000 ($750,000/Year/20 Years) $15,000,000   1 in 6,300,000

Mega Millions:

1 in 258,890,850

jr-va

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Mar 5, 2015

I'm not a $30 player but if I was and was in Mass. I'd play the scratcher:

Mass. lottery $30 scratcher:

$15,000,000 ($750,000/Year/20 Years) $15,000,000   1 in 6,300,000

Mega Millions:

1 in 258,890,850

by the time you buy 30 tickets to Mega Millions the odds are reduced to 1 in 8.6 million though, but yeah I guess the scratcher still has slightly better odds

myturn's avatarmyturn
Is a photograph required when making a claim?

Lottery regulations state that a claimant's name, city or town, image, amount of prize, claim date and game are public record. Therefore, photographs may be taken and used to publicize winnings.

Massachusetts Lottery  -  FAQs

myturn's avatarmyturn

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Mar 5, 2015

Is a photograph required when making a claim?

Lottery regulations state that a claimant's name, city or town, image, amount of prize, claim date and game are public record. Therefore, photographs may be taken and used to publicize winnings.

Massachusetts Lottery  -  FAQs

The Massachusetts Lottery should allow winners to remain anonymous.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

I'll gladly buy 10 lines of PB with powerplay, or 15 lines of MM with megaplier, covering all 15 megaballs. $30 scratchers, I don't have the balls for it yet. Very nice win if you can get it. Beautiful girlfriend, treat her well. Congrats.

Karate-1's avatarKarate-1

Truly an awesome win for this guy and it couldn't have come at a better time. I bought this ticket a couple of times last year when it first came out but, the most I won was $60.Disapprove

Karate-1's avatarKarate-1

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Mar 5, 2015

The Massachusetts Lottery should allow winners to remain anonymous.

I believe some winners have had a trust claim there winnings, so that is an option.

Scratch$'s avatarScratch$

The Mass "World Class Millions" has one of the largest top prizes of any scratcher in the country, but Illinois has a $30 card that even has that beat - $30,000 a month for 30 years. Now THAT is the prize I want to win, but of course I wouldn't turn up my nose at winning the World Class Millions either!  Big Grin

Banana

tbell3

Very happy to see a nice young couple get lucky! Congrats to Michael and Allison.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by jr-va on Mar 5, 2015

by the time you buy 30 tickets to Mega Millions the odds are reduced to 1 in 8.6 million though, but yeah I guess the scratcher still has slightly better odds

lol no.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story