N.J. woman claims state's biggest-ever scratch-off jackpot

Mar 9, 2015, 5:07 pm (41 comments)

New Jersey Lottery

'Still in complete shock'

LINDEN, N.J. — Lacey Katona cut short the event announcing her $5 million lottery prize this morning, calling for an end to questions on how she'd spend her windfall so that she could get to her job as a retail manager.

Katona is the first person to win $5 million, the largest prize offered, on a New Jersey Lottery instant ticket, a reality she said hasn't quite sunk in yet.

"My family just feels truly blessed," she said, standing outside the Krauszer's Food Mart where she bought her winning ticket. "I feel truly blessed. I'm still in complete shock. It doesn't feel real at all, because we all know that this stuff doesn't happen to normal people."

Lottery officials today presented Katona with an oversized check representing her winnings, one of three top prizes on the new $5,000,000 Cash Extravaganza scratch ticket game.

The $30 instant ticket was launched Jan. 5, with an extra $179 million available to smaller-scale winners, in addition the three $5 million prizes.

"We are thrilled to offer an instant game with a life-changing top prize to our New Jersey players," said Carole Hedinger, executive director of the New Jersey Lottery. "Instantly, as this game category implies, with the scratch of a card, someone's life can dramatically change and bring a world of opportunity that financial freedom often brings."

Katona, a city resident, hasn't planned any dramatic changes just yet. The mother of three said her kids don't know about the prize, since they're too young to understand.

She intends to keep her job and hasn't figured out at this point how she'll spend the money.

"It literally hasn't sunk in yet," she said.

The ticket was also lucky for store owner Apexaben Patel, who receives a $30,000 commission bonus for selling a winner.

Her Krauszer's Food Mart at 1114 South Wood Avenue has been selling New Jersey Lottery products for around 5 years.

Patel accepted the commission check with her husband Amusik, their daughter Prisha and Amusik's cousin Nick, the store manager. Amusik Patel called 5-month-old Prisha the family's "lucky charm."

This is the store's largest lottery prize, though it's sold tickets worth thousands of dollars before, the Patels said.

"This is a lucky store in Linden, and hopefully we're going to sell more, more big winners," Nick Patel said.

He said the family will put the $30,000 commission toward expanding their business with a new store.

"We're planning to open a new business in another area, and I would like to see us sell a big winner there, too," he said, with a laugh.

The Patels said they were happy to see the $5 million go to a regular customer. Katona said she regularly stops in on her way to work, sometimes buying instant lottery tickets for her father, a frequent player.

"I see him do it so often that it gets encouraging after a while," Katona said.

The winning ticket was the first of the $30 instant variety she'd bought, and she said she had her father go back to the store to "check it out" when she scratched off a $5 million prize.

Nick Patel said he couldn't believe it when the winning ticket came in.

"I screamed, like 'Oh my god, we got a big winner,'" he said. "It's good for her, good for her kids."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

NJ

Comments

ErikB14's avatarErikB14

Congrats to Miss katona and the lucky Krauzer retail store.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Cheers

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Congrats Ms Katona, you just sprung forward by millions of dollars. That's really nice.

About those $30 tickets. I'm still not that brave but I'll spend that on the $2 tickets. Go figure.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Congratulation on your big win, Lacey Katona! That really is a nice prize for a scratch off ticket.

Suzy-Dittlenose

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Mar 9, 2015

Congrats Ms Katona, you just sprung forward by millions of dollars. That's really nice.

About those $30 tickets. I'm still not that brave but I'll spend that on the $2 tickets. Go figure.

I'd have to win MegaMillions/Powerball before I'd be willing to spend $30 on a ticket. Until then, $5 scratchers are my limit.   Coffee

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations Lacey Katona. 

I wonder if Lacey will be receiving this as a $5M annuity, or receiving it as a lesser 1-time cash lump-sum payout? 

If as a lump-sum, does any member know amount before all taxes deducted?

Cheers!

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats Lacey, enjoy.

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

Oh no another Patel run b4 he claims half.Sad Cheers

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by Suzy-Dittlenose on Mar 9, 2015

I'd have to win MegaMillions/Powerball before I'd be willing to spend $30 on a ticket. Until then, $5 scratchers are my limit.   Coffee

I hear you. Not when a case of 24 Corona Extra beers cost $24. I got priorities LOL

noise-gate

Party To Lacey...

l wonder why they did not post a picture of the Patels?

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Dance

Nice win ............ but just wait until New Jersey confiscates their "fair share"

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

"She intends to keep her job and hasn't figured out at this point how she'll spend the money." 

She will definitely need to keep working to cover for the large obamacare fine,  or massive health insurance rate hike.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Mar 9, 2015

Congratulations Lacey Katona. 

I wonder if Lacey will be receiving this as a $5M annuity, or receiving it as a lesser 1-time cash lump-sum payout? 

If as a lump-sum, does any member know amount before all taxes deducted?

Cheers!

Hey Baller, I have one of those tickets here in my formerly nicotine stained fingers (Rush). On the back it says that you could choose the cash option of $3,625,000 before taxes.

lottery ticket

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 10, 2015

Hey Baller, I have one of those tickets here in my formerly nicotine stained fingers (Rush). On the back it says that you could choose the cash option of $3,625,000 before taxes.

lottery ticket

Thanks, golfer1960, for your rapid response!  I'm so glad you had an old ticket to pull the information off of. See Ya!

Hum, if she takes the cash option of apx. $1.7M after several taxes each coming at different times -- or even the 30-years or so annuity -- it is probably best for her to keep her full-time career until her 60s.

Group Hug

idonothaveaname

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Mar 9, 2015

"She intends to keep her job and hasn't figured out at this point how she'll spend the money." 

She will definitely need to keep working to cover for the large obamacare fine,  or massive health insurance rate hike.

The subject of health is not mentioned anywhere in the story. Why even bring it up? If you want to rant against Obamacare, there are plenty of other places to do that online besides lottery threads.

Gleno's avatarGleno

Congrats to Lacey in Linden, NJ

She is the first winner of this new game.

A side note on the new website for NJ Lottery ,wonder how much did it cost?

Not impressed with it's new look.

Coffee

Gleno's avatarGleno

From the NJ website , there are only 2 more grand prizes left for the $5M for this game.

Shocked

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Mar 9, 2015

What an ignorant post, take the political nonsense somewhere else.

shadowlady's avatarshadowlady

Congratulations on the big win.

I wish  her a lot of luck on taking care of herself.  We can hope that she does not have too many people coming up to her with their hands out.

Quote: Originally posted by IPlayWeekly on Mar 10, 2015

What an ignorant post, take the political nonsense somewhere else.

It is more valid then you know.  More then likely you don't pay for your health care,  otherwise you would wonder how much it would affect lottery winnings.  Next time don't be so ignorant.

Quote: Originally posted by idonothaveaname on Mar 10, 2015

The subject of health is not mentioned anywhere in the story. Why even bring it up? If you want to rant against Obamacare, there are plenty of other places to do that online besides lottery threads.

So what!  Health care is required, if you don't have it you will get fined,  at I believe 1 or 2 percent of your income.  Think about that instead of ignorantly assuming it is a rant!

Lynn-Lynn's avatarLynn-Lynn

Congratulations and good luck

Tony Numbers's avatarTony Numbers

Who says you can't find a needle in a haystack

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Mar 10, 2015

It is more valid then you know.  More then likely you don't pay for your health care,  otherwise you would wonder how much it would affect lottery winnings.  Next time don't be so ignorant.

Your post makes no sense at all.  I pay for my own health care and it costs a great deal of money.  However, if I win a small or large lottery jackpot I will still pay for my health care and it won't cost a dime more because I won.  How will my winning affect my healthcare costs?  Quit posting such statements.

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Mar 10, 2015

Your post makes no sense at all.  I pay for my own health care and it costs a great deal of money.  However, if I win a small or large lottery jackpot I will still pay for my health care and it won't cost a dime more because I won.  How will my winning affect my healthcare costs?  Quit posting such statements.

So you already pay for healthcare,  what happens when taxes are filed? Keep in mind that no one knows 100% how big lottery wins would affect healthcare.  Stop being scared and start thinking,  instead of mainstream media telling you how to think,  and what to think.

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

So you already pay for healthcare,  what happens when taxes are filed? Keep in mind that no one knows 100% how big lottery wins would affect healthcare.  Stop being scared and start thinking,  instead of mainstream media telling you how to think,  and what to think.

Your statements make no sense at all.  Yes, I pay for healthcare and nothing happens when my taxes are filed, what is there to be "scared" about?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Hurray!Congratulations Lacey..... Hurray!

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

I have seen your replies to various threads over the years and you come across as a bitter person.  This will be my last response, I have better things to do that argue with such a angry person who brings up healthcare in many threads... healthcare wasn't even mentioned from the article.  Should I ever win a jackpot or 2 tier prize, I would have more than enough for healthcare related costs.

Gleno's avatarGleno

The NJ new website does seem to have lots of details and reports for where the revenues go.

Spoke too soon. No No

Technut's avatarTechnut

Congrats Ms. Katona (c8

Continue to keep your head on straight and make your own decisions. Don't let anyone sway you plans.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Congratulation to Lacey Katona , on her win.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Cheers Kudos Lacey ! Here's hoping you have some fun and remain debt free with your win. 

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

$30, Just not that brave.

can't remember last time I even played a scratcher.

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

I was wondering how much money does Lacey Katona get after taxes are taken out, if she takes the cash option? I know there is a Federal tax on the $5 million win, but don't know if there is a New Jersey lottery state tax. Lacey says she will continue on her job. If I won $5 million on a state lottery, I wouldn't hesitate about quitting my job.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Mar 11, 2015

I was wondering how much money does Lacey Katona get after taxes are taken out, if she takes the cash option? I know there is a Federal tax on the $5 million win, but don't know if there is a New Jersey lottery state tax. Lacey says she will continue on her job. If I won $5 million on a state lottery, I wouldn't hesitate about quitting my job.

Jersey taxes lottery wins @ 10.8% the highest in the nation.

If I won I wouldn't hesitate to move to another state,

I'd still have to pay the 10.8 but that would be the last time.

So what!  Health care is required, if you don't have it you will get fined,  at I believe 1 or 2 percent of your income.  Think about that instead of ignorantly assuming it is a rant!

Excellent point, pickone4me!  Hopefully, this big jackpot winner had already gotten mandatory medical insurance; so no fine of 2% of annual income!  [You're accurately thinking of last year's fine of 1% or $95/month that no medical insurance was in effect -- whichever is greater.]  Kudos!

US Flag

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Mar 12, 2015

Excellent point, pickone4me!  Hopefully, this big jackpot winner had already gotten mandatory medical insurance; so no fine of 2% of annual income!  [You're accurately thinking of last year's fine of 1% or $95/month that no medical insurance was in effect -- whichever is greater.]  Kudos!

US Flag

Glad to know this as it does affect a family when budgeting. It's my understanding that the percent penalty increases each year from 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% and so on.

So it is a concern overall. 

The Winner seems wise to keep her objective goals private. The less said to the public the better.

May her family enjoy some quality time on adventures!

BellasBMWLucki

SWEETEST part is when she is so down to earth a regular woman she go,'Oh i have to cut the LOTTERY $ CONFERENCE SHORT,

BECAUSE,"I have to get to my retail mgr.job" hee  hee!!!LOL how REAL is that? She said it then the lottery lady confirm she really did say that!!!

-

She told us local folks here same city,town,county on the news

she intend to keep her job.I wouldn't...However,good to see she will. IF REALLY TRUE...

She seem so nice on the news.

Our familia is in this town

and few towns over.

This little suburban 85% residential town is a great thing,has had winners also with other big games,and jersey cash et.al,

this store we go to week-by-week,nicest people!

Only 1/2 of block away from here we live as other family members.

We always stop in Krauzner's.

So odd.We procure a few of the NJ $5,000.000.00 EXTRAVAGANZA from here same week as her,several we bought as a family pool$$$

and from Rita Southwood pharmacy few doors away from KRAUZNER's.... same week and didn't win but 100.00 and a 20.00 

so we are still happy 1 of our Good neighbors won,she look so familiar,probably seen her when i was playing,so happy for her.

Definitely,as my father and mom say,it is ALL ABOUT"RIGHT PLACE/RIGHT TIME."This is a great thing,and i hope she and her kids will make it last!"

i know she mention her father at the recent news conference,so bless them all.

Felicidades!!!Cheers

adios

BellasBMWLucki

i'm just talking with neighbor on the porch tonight 1/2 of block from where she struck big time gold with $5,000.000.00 gold ticket extravaganza,and the old timers next door to me Smilewas sounding like you( hay maker)saying,she is ONLY procuring couple million,maybe not even 1/2. i assume at least three million.but i now i konw,it is 2 million.So she really didn't win 5 million dollars,but 2 and 1/2 or something close to it,my old time neighbor retire law enforcement guy say,"she should play in PA,, i think there is  no taxes there?"  He only play with his wife and grandkids,the kids etc. mega.powerball etc.jersey cash 5.

i'm still happy for her though...

QueezE's avatarQueezE

Big SmileIt is my dream to buy a ticket and have this kind of  luck one day soon . There will be lots of happy people  . Good for you, Lacey and kids.BananaCongrat!!!!!

BellasBMWLucki

really?you wouldn't? I know a few several who said it is too high as yourself,but some said they paid up to 3x to 5x buying this expensive ticket.

You're an astute person suzy....My father/mother said same.

Well,actully dad did lol mommie and i do at times procure "certain larger scratch off"

quite minimal,however, yea this was a "limited game here in my county,area.so much familia around the krauzner's there,people still talking about this win by ms.katona...!"Yea for a scratch-off"that is so hugeand there are TWO MORE 5 MILLION DOLLAR one's left,and Many 1000+ prizes left for now.

Oh!

and ANOTHER MEGA WINNER from this same area just 2 or so weeks ago amazing.... My county is pretty hot lately,i hope it continue!

Not sure if the site over here, LOTTERY POST has heard,as i know they would post it here or maybe soon however another millionaire same

exact county minutes away from this store...Cheers  She is a older woman and she had 5 out of six Mega #s recent!

(From the  town Westfield,Rahway or in Kenilworth NJ

that is only minutes away from Linden.So awesome!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story