Michigan man multiplies winnings to $5 million

Apr 17, 2015, 11:20 am (25 comments)

Mega Millions

Winner says he plans on investing the money for his retirement

Adding the $1 Megaplier option to a Mega Millions play turned a $1-million prize into $5 million for a Michigan man.

David Kalanik of Milford, Michigan, stopped at the City Liquor store on West Eight Mile Road in Farmington Hills to purchase a Mega Millions easy pick with the Megaplier option, according to a news release from the Michigan Lottery.

His ticket matched the five white balls drawn April 3 — 10, 36, 47, 63, and 74 — good for a $1-million prize. Thanks to the Megaplier option, his prize was multiplied by five for a $5-million prize. The only number he didn't get was the Mega Ball, which would have put his winnings at $25 million.

"I checked my ticket the morning after the drawing and just sat there in disbelief," Kalanik said. "I called my wife in to confirm I had won because I just couldn't believe my eyes."

At first, Kalanik's wife thought he was playing a late April Fool's Day joke until she took a closer look.

"We were both elated. The winning numbers were on the top line of the ticket and I didn't even bother to check the rest of the numbers," said Kalanik.

"I don't always play Mega Millions, but when I do I add the Megaplier. Having a shot at winning a multimillion-dollar prize is the reason I like to play."

Kalanik, 54, took a week to meet with a financial adviser before coming to lottery headquarters last Friday to claim his prize. He plans to invest his newfound wealth for his retirement.

"We plan to continue living the way we always have. Winning won't change our lives, but will help us be more comfortable," said Kalanik.

Mega Millions drawings take place each Tuesday and Friday evening. Each Mega Millions play is $1. For an additional $1 per play, players have the opportunity to add a "Megaplier" that can multiply non-jackpot prizes by up to five times.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Technut's avatarTechnut

Congrats to David Kalanik on your win and smart plans for your future.

dr65's avatardr65

And the Megaball was 2....WTG winner!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Puke Another winner forced to go public in Michigan.Confused

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner Cheers

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Congrats to David Kalanik on his $5 million dollar win! Cheers

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Apr 17, 2015

I would guess that David and his wife are very happy about their win.  Congratulations!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Apr 17, 2015

Do you think anyone will recognize him from the picture of his ticket? Disapprove

Bleudog101

Best $20 investment in his life.  Congratulations!

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Ticket looks good. Must have been stashed in the wallet because you can see where it got folded. Quick Pick!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

NICE WIN!

Cheers

myturn's avatarmyturn

"We plan to continue living the way we always have. Winning won't change our lives, but will help us be more comfortable," said Kalanik.

Congratulations to them!

It will be very hard for them to, "We plan to continue living the way we always have", when everyone knows about the win. They will need to be very strong and be able to say NO!

This is why  anonymity should be an option for all winners.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations David Hurray!

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Wonder if he spent that much every draw. That's a lot for a 25mill jackpot.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Congratulation to Mr Kalanik, on your Mega Millions when. Party

MrProgrammer's avatarMrProgrammer

Wow

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 17, 2015

Do you think anyone will recognize him from the picture of his ticket? Disapprove

No, not from the ticket but from his picture being posted on the MM website winners gallery.
Maybe the Michigan lottery does that too, not sure.

Well, the extra dollar spent on the Megaplier turned out to be a '4 million dollar dollar'. Nice.

duckman's avatarduckman

Yet another random easy pick/quick pick winner!

Gleno's avatarGleno

Congrats to Mr. Kalanik on his win and his megaplier option.

Wink

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Apr 18, 2015

Maybe that 10 line ticket was just one of five or more tickets or wagering $20 doesn't mean that much too him. The size of the jackpot is irrelevant to the Megaplier.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Apr 18, 2015

I would happily trade $20 for $5,000,000. Wouldn't you?

Lynn-Lynn's avatarLynn-Lynn

Congratulations to you and your family on your big win

basil19

Another surprised and doubting winner who didn't play everyday to win, i keep track of how many people win and how they came across a huge winning. There's less than a few who SAY they've claim and won. LOA doesn't work , if it did you should have  no problem claiming someone's winning ticket and because you can't you end up playing again just like all players and hope to win. The LOA is criminal spiritual belief that claims things that don't belong to them and use the universe in acquiring what they want. They think they deserve anything only because they want it and are determined. But how many of these practitioners are successful. If you want a surprise you shouldn't be thinking about it. LOA claims it beforehand. Thanks for the wonderful story.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Apr 17, 2015

I would guess that David and his wife are very happy about their win.  Congratulations!

I Agree!

Congratulations David, I always add the Megaplier option too ... and wish for the 5 [multiplier number] to be computer generated!!!

Lurking

Bleudog101

Too bad the three that had five #'s last night didn't 'Megaply', Megaplier of five came in again!

Artist77's avatarArtist77

This is exactly  why I spend that extra dollar.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story