Player in Tennessee wins first Powerball jackpot since game changed in Oct.

Nov 5, 2015, 8:23 am (58 comments)

Powerball

Update:  Location where winning ticket was purchased is now identified

By Todd Northrop

A Tennessee Lottery player who purchased a ticket in Antioch has won the first Powerball jackpot since the game was changed in October.

The lucky ticket-holder won a jackpot of $144.1 million in the drawing held Wednesday, November 4.  Of course, no information is known about the winner until the prize is claimed.

The Powerball winning numbers drawn Wednesday night were 2, 12, 17, 20, and 65, with Powerball number 17. The Power Play number was 4.

The winning ticket was sold at Hobson Tobacco & Beer, 2216 Hobson Pike in Antioch.

The Tennessee Lottery issued an advisory Thursday morning for the winner to sign the back of the ticket, keep it in a safe place, consult with a financial professional, and call its Nashville headquarters before coming in to claim the prize.

If your ticket contains the winning numbers, and you opt to take the cash in one lump sum, prepare to pocket about $67 million after taxes, according to the multi-state lottery website USA Mega.  The site notes that winners can face additional taxes beyond those withheld from the payout, depending on how the winner manages their windfall.

This is the second-largest overall prize and the fourth Powerball jackpot win for the Tennessee Lottery. Other Powerball jackpot wins in Tennessee were:

• $259.8 million won in Knoxville, June 2014
  • $50 million won in Knox County, March 2015
  • $25.5 million won in South Pittsburgh, TN, March 2005 

In October, the Powerball game matrix — the number of lottery balls in each drum during the drawing — changed in order to make the top prize more difficult to win, but easier to win a lower-tier prize. (See Powerball changing in October to generate bigger jackpots, Lottery Post, July 8, 2015.)

The Tennessee lottery players overcame the odds of 1 in 292,201,338 to win the jackpot Wednesday.

The winner has 180 days from the date of the drawing to claim the prize, which means the player must redeem the winning ticket by May 2, 2016.

In addition to the big winner Wednesday night, 1 lucky player from Wyoming matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 second-prize.

The Wyoming ticket was not purchased with the Power Play option.  If it had been, the prize would have been automatically doubled to $2 million.

Power Play is available for an extra $1 per play in all states except for California, where the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts. By law, all lottery payouts in California will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

19 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $50,000.  Of those tickets, 2 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $200,000, and 2 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $17,821 this drawing.

Powerball is now played in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

jjtheprince

Yeah, so much for Powerball being too hard to win now.

It's still way too easy to win.  Why won't they consider my matrix plus computerized draws to save the game from going bankrupt?

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

HA- HA,

They tried to make it harder and it blew up in their face.

Now they're chasing MM from way behind.  LMAO !

Glad to hear the winner was from TN, a state that has all RNG games except for PB and MM

Probably not  RidgeRunner as he was from Appalachia.

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Nov 5, 2015

HA- HA,

They tried to make it harder and it blew up in their face.

Now they're chasing MM from way behind.  LMAO !

Glad to hear the winner was from TN, a state that has all RNG games except for PB and MM

Probably not  RidgeRunner as he was from Appalachia.

Keep it a 5 + 1 game but make it computerized draws with a matrix of 9,999,999,999 white balls and 9,999,999 red balls.

I doubt that would be won very frequently at all!

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Nov 5, 2015

Keep it a 5 + 1 game but make it computerized draws with a matrix of 9,999,999,999 white balls and 9,999,999 red balls.

I doubt that would be won very frequently at all!

I doubt that would be played very frequently if at all,

I won't even play the current  version.

RJOh's avatarRJOh
  • And now $144.1 millions in November 2015

No one ever mentions Tennessee as a winner of PowerBall jackpots like California and New York but that's three jackpots in the last year and a half. Wink

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Jester Laugh

So much for giant jackpots LOL

RedStang's avatarRedStang

destinycreation

Surprise !!!  Surprise !!!    TENNESSEE, the state people claim is hard to win in,    finally won  something BIG !!!

The Impossible Can happen !!!

Congratulations Tennessee !!!

Original Bey's avatarOriginal Bey

Ridgerunners marriage to the Dragon Lady is paying off big time.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Nov 5, 2015

No one ever mentions Tennessee as a winner of PowerBall jackpots like California and New York but that's three jackpots in the last year and a half. Wink

Poke

Raven62's avatarRaven62

The nineth drawing after the matrix change and BANG Jackpot WON! Cheers

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Nov 5, 2015

Looks like Dragon Lady sold out to the devil.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Now let us see how high Mega Millions can reach. 

Power Ball starts again at $40,000,000.00 which is a decent jackpot. 

Party

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

antioch tn

The most expensive home on the market in Antioch, TN is this 4bd 6bth, 3586sq ft ranch. It has 11 acres and was built in 1998. Price: $565,000. Definetley affordable.

Congratulations Powerball Winner!! Enjoy your retirement!!!

sandia's avatarsandia

Aww, lucky winner(s). I know so many wish that they won instead. However, it is the luck of the draw. I wish I had won the jackpot, times are tough but oh well, keep on pushing. Congratulations to the winner(s), once again.

Prob988

The game is going to undergo a long, slow death.

The troubles began for both MM and PB when the $2 Powerball ticket was introduced.    This moderately raised PB revenues (but probably not profit) at the expense of MM revenues.   They then made matters worse by reducing the value of MM, and finally they reduced the value of the $2 PB.

They may try other fixes, all of which, as is typical, will be in the wrong direction, but both games will slowly decline despite anything they do.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Nov 5, 2015

antioch tn

The most expensive home on the market in Antioch, TN is this 4bd 6bth, 3586sq ft ranch. It has 11 acres and was built in 1998. Price: $565,000. Definetley affordable.

Hey, Golfer1960,

Do you happen to know what the taxes are on that place ?

Likely less than we pay on our houses.

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Nov 5, 2015

The game is going to undergo a long, slow death.

The troubles began for both MM and PB when the $2 Powerball ticket was introduced.    This moderately raised PB revenues (but probably not profit) at the expense of MM revenues.   They then made matters worse by reducing the value of MM, and finally they reduced the value of the $2 PB.

They may try other fixes, all of which, as is typical, will be in the wrong direction, but both games will slowly decline despite anything they do.

I believe you are correct.

Aaquib

Only quick pick will win u jackpot

Gleno's avatarGleno

Congrats to the latest winner of the new power ball game!

See that TN has had some nice jackpot winners.

Anyone there having any good  beef BBQ  parties?

Wink

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Nov 5, 2015

antioch tn

Nice house for a non-lottery winner. Too rural looking and dated for my taste though.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

I think they should leave the odds as is and go back down to a dollar per play. Starting jackpots will have to go down as well. We will eventually see at least a $700+ million jackpot.

Quote: Originally posted by travelintrucker on Nov 5, 2015

I think they should leave the odds as is and go back down to a dollar per play. Starting jackpots will have to go down as well. We will eventually see at least a $700+ million jackpot.

They should have left the games alone and stop tinkering with it.  Powerball was much more fun to play when it only cost $1 and I was more likely to spend more money to play multiple tickets when it cost less vs now the $2 where I might only buy one or two for larger jackpots over 150m.

We don't need to see near billion dollar jackpots for powerball/mega million. When those two games get to 200-300 million nobody gets excited anymore.  Change the games back to how it originally was.

I'd rather see a new global game created where Billion dollar jackpot games can be reached.... let the jackpots start at $100 million and max out at a billion....tax free.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

Tax free.. Sounds like a plan.

noise-gate

What if, just what if this 2nd jackpot was won by none other than Ridge?

Banana .......

lejardin's avatarlejardin

I am not one of those who doesnt get excited lol.  I never pay attention to the fluff amounts, only the net and almost at any point I could live very comfortably on it.  TAX FREE, now you are talking but I highly doubt that will EVER happen, not with the political crooks and/or government agencies who have access.  Oh and change it back to a buck.

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 5, 2015

Banana .......

That would be great if it was RDGRNR who won.  But then there is no chance we would ever hear from him lol.

Itsonly$

I thought they should have made the new matrix 6/59-1/35 instead of the current 5/69-1/26.

"A blind man can feel an elephant but, he still does not know what it is."

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Nov 5, 2015

That would be great if it was RDGRNR who won.  But then there is no chance we would ever hear from him lol.

anyone heard from him. haven't seen one of his posts for a couple of years. could it be he went to that final resting place up in the hills. we need a ridge fix on things.

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Nov 5, 2015

anyone heard from him. haven't seen one of his posts for a couple of years. could it be he went to that final resting place up in the hills. we need a ridge fix on things.

I don't believe so.  Someone posted that they thought he was called home but nothing confirmed.  I so miss him, he was just the funniest guy around here and took no bs from some of the agitators on here.  In fact, he took great joy lighting up their posteriors lol.  MISS YOU RDGRNR wherever you are.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Nov 5, 2015

I miss him Unhappy

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky winner.

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Somehow , I hope it was Ridge......!

ekem6078's avatarekem6078

Congrads to the winner,  hope it was my friend girl from work, cause I just got laid off today lmao.

VenomV12

The Powerball is about useless to play now unless there is a really big jackpot. Just greed. Both the MegaMillions and Poweball are pretty useless now. 

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Congratulations to the j/p winner!!!

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Nov 5, 2015

Hey, Golfer1960,

Do you happen to know what the taxes are on that place ?

Likely less than we pay on our houses.

Haymaker!!!!! What's up brother?

The listing says the 2014 property taxes were $5,666. I'm not sure if that's a bargain or not.

TN ranks #38 in the nation (relatively low) while NJ ranks #1 (the highest).

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Nov 5, 2015

Nice house for a non-lottery winner. Too rural looking and dated for my taste though.

I agree redeyes, that house is very underwhelming. You'd have to leave Antioch or build a new home that suits your taste.

I like traditional style homes myself:

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Nov 6, 2015

I agree redeyes, that house is very underwhelming. You'd have to leave Antioch or build a new home that suits your taste.

That's more like it! Beautiful house.  My taste is still a tad bit richer should I ever hit the big one, but that house is gorgeous.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

As I have aged - my requirements for a 'luxurious' home have gotten simplier.  #1 central a/c, #2 a non-leaky roof.  That's about it.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Nov 6, 2015

As I have aged - my requirements for a 'luxurious' home have gotten simplier.  #1 central a/c, #2 a non-leaky roof.  That's about it.

plenty of curious places if one knows whar to look Approve

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

It was a Quick Pick.........................................White BounceWhite BounceBlue Angel  White BounceWhite Bounce

RDGR URD WON    PartyBig Grin Angel

Original Bey's avatarOriginal Bey

Hobson Tobacco and Beer. Noooo. That definitely doesn't seem like an establishment 'The Oracle' would be found anywhere around - lol

Quote: Originally posted by VenomV12 on Nov 6, 2015

The Powerball is about useless to play now unless there is a really big jackpot. Just greed. Both the MegaMillions and Poweball are pretty useless now. 

Maybe to you, but I can retire just fine on $24.9 million. Even after taxes.

And it would be perfect now because the attention is on finding out who won Wednesday. No one cares about someone winning $24 million.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Quote: Originally posted by VenomV12 on Nov 6, 2015

I would not mind a $million hit myself.  Guess useless is relative.

Get paid's avatarGet paid

Congrats to the winner.An no one was struck by lightning.LOL.

Mega tonight lets do this.

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 5, 2015

Banana .......

Would have been nice if it was Ridge but he lives near Knoxville. Antioch according to Google maps is just south of Nashville and is close to 3 hours away from Ridge's area(unless he moved).

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Nov 6, 2015

And it would be perfect now because the attention is on finding out who won Wednesday. No one cares about someone winning $24 million.

I think he's referring to the fact that these games are now a joke because it's way too easy for winners to win.  Winners are making a mockery of both games and bankrupting them.  I guarantee when these winners win and go get their picture taken with their check they are laughing to themselves thinking "We just screwed these chumps out of millions!"

These games should use my 5 + 1 format with computerized draws and a matrix of 9,999,999,999 white balls and 9,999,999 red/yellow balls.  This would make the games actually HARD.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Nov 6, 2015

Would have been nice if it was Ridge but he lives near Knoxville. Antioch according to Google maps is just south of Nashville and is close to 3 hours away from Ridge's area(unless he moved).

Point well taken Drenick1- except you forgetting one thing, with Ridge not being here or confined to his Mountain Retreat- he now has the liberty to roam the vast outdoors. Traveling 3 hours within the State of Tennessee in any direction is a piece of cake.You don't go by the name Ridge runner by sitting on the porch.

...long may you run Ridge!!

Haymaker!!!!! What's up brother?

The listing says the 2014 property taxes were $5,666. I'm not sure if that's a bargain or not.

TN ranks #38 in the nation (relatively low) while NJ ranks #1 (the highest).

Golfer1960,

Sounds like a bargain to me and I live in an area called Bargaintown.  LOL

$5666 for that property at 13891 Old Hickory Rd. in Antioch TN.is not bad at all,

I'm paying almost $9600 for 3000sq ft 4 bd 2 1/2 ba. on 1/3 acre.

But oddly enough that property you picked is just 6.5 miles from where the winning ticket was sold.

Anyway, thanks for that map, Delaware at #47 is looking better all the time.

thaencyder

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Nov 6, 2015

I think he's referring to the fact that these games are now a joke because it's way too easy for winners to win.  Winners are making a mockery of both games and bankrupting them.  I guarantee when these winners win and go get their picture taken with their check they are laughing to themselves thinking "We just screwed these chumps out of millions!"

These games should use my 5 + 1 format with computerized draws and a matrix of 9,999,999,999 white balls and 9,999,999 red/yellow balls.  This would make the games actually HARD.

Oh shut up already. The fact that there are many winners IS a good thing that encourages others to plea and maximize profit. The overwhelming majority of people aren't some unsatisfiable greedy players who want to win excessive amount. Most are happy wining even the starting jackpot. This level of greed is actually not healthy and highlights a deeper psychological issue.

Quote: Originally posted by thaencyder on Nov 7, 2015

Oh shut up already. The fact that there are many winners IS a good thing that encourages others to plea and maximize profit. The overwhelming majority of people aren't some unsatisfiable greedy players who want to win excessive amount. Most are happy wining even the starting jackpot. This level of greed is actually not healthy and highlights a deeper psychological issue.

Yup,

Starting JP is fine w/me.

Gopher701

The tickets sold for this drawing were approximately 6% of the available numbers. I believe, this drawing was the first drawing with a winner and a second place ticket since the October 7th change. Based on the number of tickets sold this was an unusual event.

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Nov 6, 2015

I love it when I see logic come into play!   Thumbs Up

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Yea the dragon Queen sits down in Nashville on her throne thinking she does the world a favor running the BEST lottery in this country.Instead of coming on down here losing your pipe dreams to a dead end life ,I would keep your comments to yourself....until you live here,play here you have no idea what its like.Now you all can jump on me if you want,I dont care.Its been a scam since day one.Nothing will ever be done about it..States do whatever they want to people,we are suppose to keep our mouths shut not play and be happy.

Quote: Originally posted by TnTicketlosers on Nov 8, 2015

Yea the dragon Queen sits down in Nashville on her throne thinking she does the world a favor running the BEST lottery in this country.Instead of coming on down here losing your pipe dreams to a dead end life ,I would keep your comments to yourself....until you live here,play here you have no idea what its like.Now you all can jump on me if you want,I dont care.Its been a scam since day one.Nothing will ever be done about it..States do whatever they want to people,we are suppose to keep our mouths shut not play and be happy.

It's understood that you are unhappy with Tn Lottery. But....I really don't think, actually I know, your Dragon Lady had nothing to do with the PB winner in Tn. The numbers are drawn elsewhere. Therefore, you should stop playing your state games, and just play MM and PB.

Good luck!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations to winner/s Thumbs Up

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Nov 5, 2015

Somehow , I hope it was Ridge......!

+1 I sure do miss him.......

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story