Teen lottery winner to pay off mom's home

Mar 22, 2016, 9:38 am (22 comments)

Michigan Lottery

MUIR, Mich. — A Michigan teenager plans to pay off his mother's home with the winning lottery ticket she gave him.

Gabe Smith of Pewamo told the Michigan Lottery his mother bought the lucky ticket at Muir Mini Mart.

Smith, 19, said he scratched off the ticket and thought it wasn't a winner. But when he tried to enter the ticket's code into his Player's Club account, he got an error message.

When Smith contacted lottery workers, they delivered the good news: his Bonus Ball Bingo ticket was worth $100,000.

Smith visited the Michigan Lottery headquarters in Lansing Friday to claim his prize.

He told lottery officials he plans to use the winnings to pay off his mother's house and buy a new computer. He said he'd save the rest of the money.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

WOOD

Comments

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to Gabe Smith. You are a generous son. Cool

jjtheprince

Awesome!  I love to see younger players win!

Seems like no one under 50 ever wins.

sully16's avatarsully16

Job well done young man. Cheers

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Congrats Gabe Smith! It's very nice of him to pay off his mothers home. He sounds like a good kid.

tnlottodreamer's avatartnlottodreamer

BananaSee Ya!Hey Angelflake.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$
His mother should been real proud of him. Most young people don't think this way.  Good Luck to them both.Smile    "Nice story Todd."
haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Smart young man !

Pay off debt, buy 1 nice thing save the rest, winners of bigger prizes should take note.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Congrats to the winner! Mom, you raised him right. Smart and lucky  :)

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Mar 22, 2016

His mother should been real proud of him. Most young people don't think this way.  Good Luck to them both.Smile    "Nice story Todd."

Yes, I had almost lost all hope in the younger generation.

Good to see this sort of thing.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

a most curious story and while it does renew my faith in the younger generation,

I hope it doesn't come back to bite him later on

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations young man nice to see you taking care of mom.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Plans to.

hmmmm.

He has time. 

life is open to change.

nice win!

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Mar 22, 2016

Plans to.

hmmmm.

He has time. 

life is open to change.

nice win!

Wow.. This is why I log in before I go surfing the threads...logging in enables the

Premium member block feature...forgot to log in this time..

What a wet blanket statement. How weird is that comment coming from one who wants to come 

off as wholesome but just winds up sounding like sour grapes...and rotten apples. Weird.

Bravo to this young man! I hope he wins again so he can do something good for someone

else too.

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Ok, what am I missing? Where on the card does it show him winning 100k??

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by DELotteryPlyr on Mar 23, 2016

DELotteryPlyr, do you see the bottom right corner? He has the X and that won him

the $100,000. Lucky guy!

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Mar 23, 2016

DELotteryPlyr, do you see the bottom right corner? He has the X and that won him

the $100,000. Lucky guy!

DUH!!!!! 

Thanks! Knew it was right in front of me - Green laugh

JoshUK

I can't figure it out either, I bet a bunch of these bingo/crossword tickets get chucked everyday by people thinking they never hit anything!

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Mar 24, 2016

I can't figure it out either, I bet a bunch of these bingo/crossword tickets get chucked everyday by people thinking they never hit anything!

Some of the tickets are difficult to read...but the bingo in the X pattern is the bottom right corner board...the 

box with 02, 10, 63, 73 in the corners..then it uses the free space and 2 i's and 2 g's to make X. The spots he

rubbed off are in white. See it?

Stack47

Smith, 19, said he scratched off the ticket and thought it wasn't a winner.

And people criticize dumpster diving for lottery tickets. LOL

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Mar 25, 2016

Some of the tickets are difficult to read...but the bingo in the X pattern is the bottom right corner board...the 

box with 02, 10, 63, 73 in the corners..then it uses the free space and 2 i's and 2 g's to make X. The spots he

rubbed off are in white. See it?

It probably easier and safer just to scratch the bar code off at the bottom and scan the ticket.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Mar 25, 2016

It probably easier and safer just to scratch the bar code off at the bottom and scan the ticket.

Definitely. The Bingo and Crossword tickets are easily mistaken for losers. It's a jumble of

numbers/letters where if you miss a number it's easy to assume it is a loser. Our $30 tickets

are so filled with numbers that a player can become almost dyslexic trying to read 'YOUR

Numbers' and matching them up in the play area...23, 32 ...12, 21....13, 31....46, 64 is what

they like to print. I doubt it is coincidence. The $20 tickets, same numbers meant to confuse

or entice. We had a new $10 crossword come out...headache. All tickets should be double 

checked at the scanner. I agree fully with your post.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Mar 30, 2016

Definitely. The Bingo and Crossword tickets are easily mistaken for losers. It's a jumble of

numbers/letters where if you miss a number it's easy to assume it is a loser. Our $30 tickets

are so filled with numbers that a player can become almost dyslexic trying to read 'YOUR

Numbers' and matching them up in the play area...23, 32 ...12, 21....13, 31....46, 64 is what

they like to print. I doubt it is coincidence. The $20 tickets, same numbers meant to confuse

or entice. We had a new $10 crossword come out...headache. All tickets should be double 

checked at the scanner. I agree fully with your post.

Scan them all, I tend to play easy ones.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story