UK Lotto players furious over 5-number payout

Mar 24, 2016, 9:17 am (35 comments)

UK National Lottery

'Teachable moment' for people who play multiples or patterns

Imagine beating the odds of 1 in 144,415 only to find out that your prize payout was just £15 (US$21). That's what thousands of UK Lotto players experienced Wednesday night.

National Lottery winners were left in anger last night after those who matched five numbers ended up with less money than people that matched only three.

Players with five winning numbers in Wednesday's Lotto draw ended up with just £15. This compared to £25 for people who matched three balls, and £51 for people who matched four.

The winning numbers were 7, 14, 21, 35, 41, 42, and the bonus ball was 43.

In UK Lotto, players choose 6 numbers from a pool of 59, making the odds of a 5-number match 1 in 144,415. The expected payout for matching five numbers is around £1,000 (US$1,413). In the previous Lotto drawing last Saturday night, the 5-number payout was £1,896 (US$2,679).

Lotto operator Camelot said it was an "extremely rare" set of winning numbers, five of which were multiples of seven. This set of numbers is a popular choice for players and pushed up the number of winners.

Lottery experts for years have been saying that playing patterns or multiples of numbers is a bad idea. Thousands of UK Lotto players learned that lesson the hard way last night.

Some 4,082 players matched five balls, sharing a winning pot that totalled just over £60,000.  Meanwhile 7,879 people who matched four numbers shared £401,829.

There were 114,232 winners with three numbers, who had access to a pot of £2,855,800.

Others questioned whether the National Lottery's prize fund structure needed reviewing, while some threatened to stop playing altogether.

Camelot said the number of people with five winning numbers was "around 80 times higher" than the usual 50 winners that would normally match five balls.

"It is a lottery at the end of the day, and the prizes people win are determined by the balls drawn and the number of people who match those numbers. As a result, extremely rare events like this do happen," said a spokesman.

No one took the jackpot, which means a top prize on Saturday of £28.2 million (US$40 million).

How the prizes work

• On Lotto, the prizes for Match 2 and Match 3 are a fixed amount — a free Lucky Dip for Match 2 and £25 for Match 3. They are the only prizes on Lotto that are fixed.
  • Once the Match 2 and Match 3 prizes are paid out, the other prize tiers are allocated a certain percentage of the remaining prize pot.
  • The amount of money must be shared equally by the number of winners in each prize tier.
  • In the case of last night's draw, there was £61,230 available to be paid out to Match 5 winners. However, because there were an unprecedented 4,000-plus Match 5 winners — so around 80 times higher than the usual 50 or so winners that we would normally expect to see for the Match 5 prize tier — they had to share this amount of money.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

myturn's avatarmyturn

At the end of the day, we all win. We all benefit from the revenue raised, even if we don't participate.

faber98

what did they expect when you play lucky number 7 and then 14 21 28 35 42. or 2 4 6 8 10 12 or 5 10 15 20 25 30 in a pari-mutuel pool. they got what they deserved for doing that. good lesson for all.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

In our All or Nothing game there are still people that play all even or odd, or 1st 12 or last 12. If those numbers ever hit, each winning ticket will be worth about $20000 instead of $250000. There's a $5 million cap on the jackpot, then it becomes parimutuel.

Numbernutt's avatarNumbernutt

Case in point..... Illinois had a similar situation back on June 18th, 1983

when their lotto game was a pick 6 of 40 matrix.....   

the numbers  07 - 13 - 14 - 21 - 28 - 35  plus bonus ball 37 were drawn.....

If I remember correctly, there were 70 something jackpot winners.....

and the jackpot payout, I believe was just under $10,000 each

All multiples of 7..... and the 13 for good luck.....

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

That's a real bummer.  Cussing Face  5 pays less than 3.  No No   That would have been my final bet. Smash

MoneyMike$'s avatarMoneyMike$

Haha wow must be peoples biggest fear to not win much for matching 5 balls.. imagine?

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by Numbernutt on Mar 24, 2016

Case in point..... Illinois had a similar situation back on June 18th, 1983

when their lotto game was a pick 6 of 40 matrix.....   

the numbers  07 - 13 - 14 - 21 - 28 - 35  plus bonus ball 37 were drawn.....

If I remember correctly, there were 70 something jackpot winners.....

and the jackpot payout, I believe was just under $10,000 each

All multiples of 7..... and the 13 for good luck.....

Same type of thing happened with PA Cash 5..I believe the numbers were low, sequence.

I'd rather play a QP than choose numbers legions of players think only they will hit...

multiples of 2's, 3's 5's..etc, sequences and patterned playslip plays.

Quote: Originally posted by Slick Nick on Mar 24, 2016

That's a real bummer.  Cussing Face  5 pays less than 3.  No No   That would have been my final bet. Smash

Do you understand why that happened? More importantly, do you understand how to choose combinations to avoid having that happen to you?

Ron5995

Sadly, not the first time nor the last. Hundreds of PA players were very upset when 5-10-15-20-25 came up in the Cash 5 many years ago resulting in a payout of $439 instead of $100,000. EDIT: the previous draw was won by a single winner for $446,373.50, which was unfortunate for these winners.

Feb-06-2004 PA Cash 5 payouts:

242 players matched 5, each receiving $439.00 (over 1,000 times less than what the sole jackpot winner the night before had won)
402 players matched 4, each receiving $110.50
6269 players matched 3, each receiving $7.50
56593 players matched 2, each receiving $1.00

Playing popular combinations is an all too common hazard that bites players every so often. Quick-picks aren't 100% ironclad, but the likelihood of a QP resulting in a popular pattern is very, very slim. Self-selection gives the player a sense of control / adds some fun, but humans are lousy when it comes to avoiding patterns. Much of the time, the worse that happens is a 2 or 3 way jackpot split, still leaving each of winners with a nice bundle.

It's not just many players who don't fully appreciate the hazards of playing patterns. Even lotteries sometimes goof too, such as Texas did with their original implementation of Texas All or Nothing game, which featured play-slips containing pre-selected combos (first 12, last 12, all odd, all even) and no prize cap. After a close call, Texas abruptly pulled the game and reworked the play-slips and put the $5 million prize cap on. Prior to that, the potential prize liability was upwards of $250 million. Needless to say Texas Lottery dodged a bullet.

On a related note, both Mega Millions and Powerball have prize caps for lower tiers. The vast, vast majority of players (even including many in California, which already pays pari-mutuel)  would be surprised to know that the lower prizes aren't fixed and could potentially be far less. The fixed $1 million prize (except CA) could go far lower. What occurred in UK Lotto could happen with the PB / MM Match-5 prize too.

While there are technical measures lotteries could put in place to discourage / notify players of a particular combination having excess wagers, it's ultimately up to players to understand the prize payout structure of the games they play; avoid playing popular patterns and/or utilizing quick-pick.

elios311

The reaction and the complaints of players make no sense. What gives winners the right to complain when the rules that were known in advance are applied? Do they propose that Camelot should break the rules just this time or something? One thing is to suggest that the rules should change in the future, but it is a whole different thing to blame Camelot for your own stupidity of not even reading the rules of the games that you play.

On an unrelated note, for this very reason I always play unpopular numbers. The uglier the ticket slip looks like, the less likely you are to have to share. I follow these steps:

• avoid numbers you can form birthdays with (31 and below and especially 12 and below)
  • avoid odd numbers and especially prime numbers (players really like these for some reason)
  • avoid any kinds of patterns including trying to evenly spread numbers apart
  • try selecting at least one pair of numbers that are touching each other on the selection table (people don't like this for some reason)
  • after these filters were applied, make selection from remaining numbers using Quick Pick in order to avoid making patterns subconsciously
  • do not go to the opposite extreme and select only the least popular numbers (someone out there is doing the same)

In general, the uglier your lottery ticket looks like, the likelier it is that you are its only owner. If you play by quick picks and the machine produces a really ugly or boring looking pattern, buy it. Chances are, if someone got the same shape, he didn't like it and pressed the quick pick button again.

All of this above isn't bullet proof as it doesn't safeguard against players who make blind quick picks but at least it helps. It helps not only with large prizes, but with smallest winnings as well (in pari-mutel lotteries), as also the lowest prize tiers have a lower number of winners when unpopular numbers are chosen. That means that instead of winning say 5 in the lowest prize tier, you win 7. 

Using this method, I am constantly winning above average amounts. The frequency of wins is of course unaffected.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

If they think that was bad, wait till the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6 come in.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Mar 24, 2016

Do you really think those numbers will ever come up, my pie master?

(here we are joking about it, but those numbers: 1-2-3-4-5-6, could be a winning ticket, this week)

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Mar 24, 2016

Exactly!  All the many thousands of winners can pose with pics of their checks for $8.27!!! LOL

duckman's avatarduckman

No grounds for complaining ... the rules state how the payouts are determined. End of story.

myturn's avatarmyturn

It is better to play by subscription. Megabucks Doubler is a Massachusetts state lottery which has a starting jackpot of about $500,000 which keeps on increasing until a winner emerges.

In this game, you have to choose 6 winning numbers from a set of 1 to 49. The cost for the one play is $1 and the results for it are held every Wednesday and Saturday.

Drawings Aired On: Wednesday 11:20 p.m. | Saturday 11:20 p.m.

Season Tickets for Megabucks Doubler game are available by calling 1 (800) 222-8587. You can subscribe from anywhere in the United States.

1 Year Season Ticket = $100
(104 drawings)

There is a $4 shipping charge. To avoid any fees or charges for card issuers, payment by debit card is recommended.

gatorsrok

This happened in Florida on 8/28/2012 with Fantasy 5.  The normal payout for a single winner is about $200,000.  Odds of getting all 5 are 1 in 377,000.

However, the winning numbers were:  1 3 5 7 9

The prize for each of the 98 winners was $1,995

If you pick common numbers, this is a risk you take.

Stack47

Others questioned whether the National Lottery's prize fund structure needed reviewing, while some threatened to stop playing altogether.

If they want to question why that happened, they should check how many match 5 winning tickets were QPs. If a higher percentage than average were QPs, there should be some reviewing.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Mar 24, 2016

If they want to question why that happened, they should check how many match 5 winning tickets were QPs. If a higher percentage than average were QPs, there should be some reviewing.

review what? probably no QP's. those were played by people who play lucky number patterns and multiples of them. people do it consciously and even subconsciously. they seldom come in of course but when they do this is what happens. most play QP's but these were card filler out pattern players no doubt. i'm sure some of them who won also played such combinations as 6 12 18 24 30 36 and 8 16 24 32 40 48 and of course the two big ones 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 5 10 15 20 25 30 which would pay less than this one did.

myturn....

I gotta believe MA lottery commission pays you every time you post their subscription info.

Because that's all you ever seem to post.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Mar 24, 2016

myturn....

I gotta believe MA lottery commission pays you every time you post their subscription info.

he's half right. it's a good game to play when the jackpot reaches around 2m or higher. but by subscribing to a season ticket with slight fees you're stuck playing it too many times before it reaches an acceptable level. it takes forever to get up there and most savvy ma players just wait a few weeks before diving into this one.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"Others questioned whether the National Lottery's prize fund structure needed reviewing, while some threatened to stop playing altogether."

Well, I think we already knew from the numbers they chose that a fair percentage of them aren't very bright. If they still felt that way after finding out that over 4000 other people also won calling them morons is an insult to regular morons.

Bleudog101

They use to deliver the season tickets via UPS and you had to pay for it.  Last couple of years @ least they used the USPS and no delivery charge.  Maybe because you live in Australia?   That would make sense.

American Express cards can no longer be used.

Now, back to the story...wonder how many LP members will play those numbers in MM or PB...am contemplating it.

myturn's avatarmyturn

At least in the UK, winners have the right to remain anonymous and prize money is tax-free.

myturn's avatarmyturn

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Mar 24, 2016

myturn....

No, I'm just a satisfied subscriber. I haven't won a jackpot yet, but I have won several small prizes. Also, I like how the lottery revenue is distributed across Massachusetts.

myturn's avatarmyturn

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Mar 25, 2016

They use to deliver the season tickets via UPS and you had to pay for it.  Last couple of years @ least they used the USPS and no delivery charge.  Maybe because you live in Australia?   That would make sense.

American Express cards can no longer be used.

Now, back to the story...wonder how many LP members will play those numbers in MM or PB...am contemplating it.

It is better not to use credit card to purchase subscriptions, credit card issuers may impose additional charges. With debit cards, there would be no such charges.

Bleudog101

That was a hit below the belt so to speak.  I too don't get kickbacks from my home state lottery (MA), but we can't help a good thing when we see it and take advantage of it.

Whte1995

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Mar 24, 2016

Exactly!  All the many thousands of winners can pose with pics of their checks for $8.27!!! LOL

They'll look like this guy . . . 

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Thud

ROTFLOL

Rexer90

Similar thing with California's Fantasy Five a while back, Usually there's only one daily winner unless it rolls over. Five consecutive numbers were drawn ( I think it was 14, 15, 16, 17, 18). There were 29 winners...They got less than $2k each after taxes instead of the $70k+ full prize.

david1691

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Mar 24, 2016

Same type of thing happened with PA Cash 5..I believe the numbers were low, sequence.

I'd rather play a QP than choose numbers legions of players think only they will hit...

multiples of 2's, 3's 5's..etc, sequences and patterned playslip plays.

You are right.  Twice actually.  In the Cash 5, 5-10-15-20-25 were drawn.  In the Treasure hunt, 1-2-3-4-5  were drawn.

Iborret

I think the people who choose those numbers (such as "1,2,3,4,5,6" or "7,14,21,28,35,42" etc.) think they are being "clever" and outsmarting the system and that nobody else will choose such numbers, which is why they are so shocked when the payout is so low...

Am sure there are tons of people who keep playing 1,2,3,4,5,6 every week thinking that if it finally hits, they will be the only ones to win the jackpot

Candlelight777's avatarCandlelight777

I have to chuckle..it seems there is no safe set of numbers to pick from after reading this thread. There are just as many picking "popular numbers" as there are those attempting to pick "unpopular numbers". I say pick the numbers you like and expect there are going to be others that picked the same numbers for one reason or another.

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

Mega Millions and Powerball are much less extreme, but this is why I don't play those games. Lower-tier prize winners get robbed--you have a much better chance of winning $500 by playing 3-ball than you do playing Mega Millions. In fact, you have a much better chance of winning $5,000 playing the Pick 4 (odds 1 in 10,000) than you have winning $500 playing Mega Millions (1 in 52,835). The only way I'll play a huge jackpot game is if a Top 5 jackpot coincides with a major holiday--one that closes most businesses and doesn't happen on a Monday every year (I did not play the $1.3 billion jackpot--January 13 is not a major holiday).

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

Quote: Originally posted by david1691 on Mar 26, 2016

You are right.  Twice actually.  In the Cash 5, 5-10-15-20-25 were drawn.  In the Treasure hunt, 1-2-3-4-5  were drawn.

In Virginia, 3-6-9-12-15 won once.

elios311

Quote: Originally posted by Candlelight777 on Mar 27, 2016

I have to chuckle..it seems there is no safe set of numbers to pick from after reading this thread. There are just as many picking "popular numbers" as there are those attempting to pick "unpopular numbers". I say pick the numbers you like and expect there are going to be others that picked the same numbers for one reason or another.

If that were true then the prize breakdown tables would look about the same whether popular or unpopular numbers were drawn. But they don't. When high and boring numbers are drawn, most prize tiers have a lower number of winners and therefore a higher payout per single winning ticket. But this won't be as apparent in non pari-mutuel lotteries.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story