N.D. convenience store sells state's largest lottery prize ever

May 18, 2016, 6:43 pm (15 comments)

North Dakota Lottery

WILLISTON, N.D. — The largest prize ever won in the history of the North Dakota Lottery was sold at a Kum & Go store in Williston.

According to the North Dakota Lottery, the Mega Millions ticket, drawn Tuesday, is worth $3 million. The winning numbers were 17, 24, 27, 48, and 75, with Mega Ball number 6. The Megaplier drawn was 3.

The winner has 180 days from the date of the drawing to claim their prize. The ticket matched all white balls making it worth $1 million. Because the lottery player purchased the Megaplier feature for an extra $1, the prize tripled.

The previous record prize was a $2 million Powerball with Power Play ticket that was also purchased in Williston in 2015. 

It was North Dakota's first Mega Millions Match 5 winner since the game relaunched in October 2013.

Two other players from Connecticut and Pennsylvania also matched 5 numbers for a $1 million prize each, according to USA Mega, a website devoted to Mega Millions and Powerball, the two premier USA multi-state lottery games.

Since no one matched all six numbers, the estimated jackpot for Friday's drawing is $187 million or $123.2 million cash.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

ecnirP's avatarecnirP

I never pay the extra money for the Megaplier, but it sure paid off for this person. Well done!

jjtheprince

I'd love to see someone from a small landlocked state like North Dakota win a big jackpot.

I'm a little tired of seeing New Jersey win all the time.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by ecnirP on May 18, 2016

I never pay the extra money for the Megaplier, but it sure paid off for this person. Well done!

I know. I never pay the extra buck for the megaplier option, either.
But look what can happen.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to the winner in Williston, North Dakota! Just imagine what he/she will do with an amazing $3,000,000.00? What would you do?

I am also surprised that there were two other players in Connecticut and Pennsylvania who also matched 5.

These three players are lucky!Wink

I know all about the Tax Man spoiling the show.Unhappy

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky winner, enjoy!

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by music* on May 18, 2016

Congratulations to the winner in Williston, North Dakota! Just imagine what he/she will do with an amazing $3,000,000.00? What would you do?

I am also surprised that there were two other players in Connecticut and Pennsylvania who also matched 5.

These three players are lucky!Wink

I know all about the Tax Man spoiling the show.Unhappy

With 3 mill, I would assume the tax man would take at least 800K of it.
Then, I would do the lawyer thing, and get my modest house and a ram truck and bike or two.

When all settleded, I'd just stay in my modest home, watching tv and twiddling my thumbs.

(twiddling my thumbs?)

Theox-'s avatarTheox-

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on May 18, 2016

I know. I never pay the extra buck for the megaplier option, either.
But look what can happen.

I always get the Megaplier and Power Play. I'm afraid that I'll win the second prize at a smaller amount instead of the jackpot.

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

Congrats to the lucky $3 mil winner.

You never know when it's your turn to hit big time. 

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on May 19, 2016

With 3 mill, I would assume the tax man would take at least 800K of it.
Then, I would do the lawyer thing, and get my modest house and a ram truck and bike or two.

When all settleded, I'd just stay in my modest home, watching tv and twiddling my thumbs.

(twiddling my thumbs?)

waste money spending it on some worthless lawyer who is only trying to scheme a way to get his hands on more than his fee for advising this person. all lawyers are liars or they wouldn't be lawyers.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Theox- on May 19, 2016

I always get the Megaplier and Power Play. I'm afraid that I'll win the second prize at a smaller amount instead of the jackpot.

My sentiments exactly.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$
Congratulation to the winner. I'll bet they're real glad they invest a extra
$1.  to get multiplier now. Enjoy!
                                                                     Party
Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on May 19, 2016

waste money spending it on some worthless lawyer who is only trying to scheme a way to get his hands on more than his fee for advising this person. all lawyers are liars or they wouldn't be lawyers.

I would get an LLC, you can do it on-line for like $99.00.  No lawyers for me either.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on May 19, 2016

I would get an LLC, you can do it on-line for like $99.00.  No lawyers for me either.

Mr. Bleudog,

You mean you would get a "limited liability corporation" status?

Please, explain how that would work.

Also, I wish to relate something, from when I used to drive the big 18-wheeler.
See, I once worked as a driver for a corporation.   Drivers had the option of becoming owner/operators, 
"incorporating 'their' truck" so, in case anything very
tragic happened, the company,  (mainly the truck "sub business") would be sued, and not the individual,  I guess meaning that the driver's pay checks would not be garnished forever and ever, in the event of a tragic event.

So, knowing that, if I even understood the truck thing correctly, please tell me
how the LLC would benefit a player who just won a jackpot.

Because, how can that $99 protect you?

I would also like to ask member:  Music* for his opinion on that.

Mr. Groppo

Bleudog101

Yes, you have that correct.  Supposedly it keeps the bottom feeders from getting to your assets.  One of the on-line services charges $99 for their services vs going to an attorney and paying out the wazzoo for the same thing.  I can't give out the email address on LP as I'll get banned so do your research on a well advertised site.

So in KY you have to renew your LLC every year and that is why I didn't do it, besides I have no need for an LLC until I win big.

Good luck to you and you'll know when I hit it. 

PS:  Have seen several folks in FL claim their prize with let's say McDonald LLC on the big fake check.  JMH

music*'s avatarmusic*

Mr.Groppo, It is late in the day and I will do my best for you. For the ultimate asset protection you should create an offshore account. Like the one the Cook Islands offer. You will need attorneys for this. 

The Cook Islands was once ruled by New Zealand.

The aim is to protect your assets from frivolous lawsuits that are clogging up our judiciary system.

Here in California the Judicial system penalizes you for using a will because of the Probate fees and how high they are. But Living Trusts do not protect you from creditors such as a sleazy lawyer.

We should all get a crack at living with wealth. Good Luck!!Party

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story