Scotland family celebrates third big lottery prize

May 31, 2016, 8:43 am (15 comments)

UK National Lottery

By Todd Northrop

An elderly couple from Scotland are celebrating a £1 million (US$1.5 million) lottery payout that continues an amazing family run of Lotto luck.

Peter Fry, 90, and his wife Mary, 86, landed the huge prize in the Lotto Millionaire Raffle and have been hailed as Scotland's luckiest family. The couple, from Bo'ness, West Lothian, shared the win with their three daughters, Margaret, 64, Janet, 59, and Isobel, 57.

The family play together, purchasing five lines twice a week, and were amazed when they matched the numbers to win one of two £1 million prizes on May 18. 

Their daughter Margaret won £20,000 last year and Peter's cousin Annette Brown, 82, was the UK's 2500th National Lottery millionaire after winning a £1,151,496 share of the Lotto jackpot in October 2010.

Speaking after their latest win, Margaret said, "My dad went down to Tesco on Saturday as normal and passed his tickets over to get checked.

"The till operator advised him that he had won a 'wee bit of money' and it was too much to pay out in the store — thinking it was around £500, he had no idea we were about to become millionaires.

"When we were told £1 million we were in such shock. My mum kept saying 'a million?' in such disbelief. It was the most amazing feeling!

"As a family we're always played the game but never really believed we would win a substantial amount, this shows that it could be anyone. It's truly life changing."

Peter and Mary, who are retired, have six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren and expect to welcome their sixth in July.

The family confirmed that they will be continuing playing the lottery together to see if luck comes their way again.

Speaking of the family's latest win, cousin Annette said, "I'm so happy for Peter — it couldn't have happened to a better man and talk about keeping it in the family.

"Winning The National Lottery made my life so much easier and I hope it's the same for him. I can't wait to see him and celebrate our luck together in person."

Peter bought the family's ticket from Tesco on Links Road in Bo'ness.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Raven62's avatarRaven62

You never know when Lady Luck will shine on You!

sunshine007's avatarsunshine007

This is so awesome!!!!!!

noise-gate

Congrats to the Fry's & daughters. A Family that sticks together wins together..so it seems. 

music*'s avatarmusic*

WOW!! Congratulations to the family. 

Observe their ages and ask yourself,"Could I possibly live another thirty years?" We are all living longer than we expect too. Just another thought about taking the thirty-year payment plan.

Personally, I will be choosing the Lump Sum. I do not think that my body has another thirty years left in it.

I could be wrong.

As this Mega Millions jackpot rises to higher levels than the Annuity does look better.

Group Hug

adamc224

They need to change a old saying to "Luck of the Scottish"

Groppo's avatarGroppo

No one here could possibly know what seeing the photo of the elderly Fry couple above does to me.

In the other photo, the three daughters are huddled around them like "Gimme Gimme Gimme".

I'd sign up each of the daughters up for Nutri-System.

(like you have room to talk, Groppo?
well, no, but . . . um. . i . . . um.. . .duh. . . )

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the happy family.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on May 31, 2016

No one here could possibly know what seeing the photo of the elderly Fry couple above does to me.

In the other photo, the three daughters are huddled around them like "Gimme Gimme Gimme".

The remark about the daughters is a low blow G. Has the thought ever crossed your mind that they could have a medical problem which would prevent them from losing  weight? Perhaps they have tried dieting & failed- happens even to the folks on " The biggest loser" who gain all their weight & then some back. I guess what l am saying is ...Live & let live.

Now would be a great time to...Repent!

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on May 31, 2016

The remark about the daughters is a low blow G. Has the thought ever crossed your mind that they could have a medical problem which would prevent them from losing  weight? Perhaps they have tried dieting & failed- happens even to the folks on " The biggest loser" who gain all their weight & then some back. I guess what l am saying is ...Live & let live.

Now would be a great time to...Repent!

It is a low blow.

The one thing about social media these days is that it's real easy for someone to sit behind a keyboard and spout crap about someone they never met. All of a sudden keyboard commandos become experts on people they don't even know based on a news article and a picture.

Kinda sad.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Puke  luck, think about it...DancePartyDance...Thinking of...

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Congrats to the family.  Happy families come in all shapes and sizes and so do grouches.

dr65's avatardr65

Might be they are genetically prone to a heavier set. Considering the parents ages, the

daughters may well follow to their ripe old age. Changing what's obviously healthy for

them so far by caving to the 'preferred' weight of some people by starting NutriSystem

might just throw them totally out of whack. I say don't change a thing. They look very

happy and happy affects health too.

Bleudog101

Trolls are everywhere, even on LP.

I don't think they are overweight, healthy females with pear shape is what I perceive.  Take a good luck around the good old USA and you can see many, many folks morbidly obese.  Kind of sad to me, sort of like it is a trophy to some of them and could care less about what the excessive weight does to their bodies.

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

When all three are like that, it's probably in the family. Genes.

sully16's avatarsully16

Post a picture of yourself, we'll be happy to point out your flaws. Hit With Stick

Play nice Groppo.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story