$333 MILLION: Mega Millions jackpot continues climb

Jun 19, 2016, 1:07 pm (71 comments)

Mega Millions

Largest Mega Millions jackpot in more than 2 years

By Todd Northrop

The multi-state Mega Millions lottery game continued its months-long climb Friday night, and is now at the point where jackpot rolls are sharply increased.

After nobody won Friday night's grand prize, the Mega Millions jackpot grew to an estimated $333 million — the 21st-largest in U.S. lottery history and the largest since a $414 million Mega Millions jackpot was split between two tickets from Florida and Maryland on March 18, 2014.  (See Florida couple, nearly penniless, claim half of $414M lottery jackpot, Lottery Post, May 1, 2014.) 

The lump-sum cash value rose to a massive $226.2 million — the 13th-largest U.S. lottery cash value in history.

The complete top-25 U.S. lottery jackpots and cash value jackpots can be found below.

Tuesday's Mega Millions jackpot is the accumulation of 29 consecutive drawings without a top prize winner. The current jackpot run-up started on March 11 as a $15 million grand prize — it has been more than three months since Mega Millions has had a jackpot winner.

The last big Mega Millions winner was Michael Burkett of Washington state, who claimed a $157 million jackpot in the March 8 Mega Millions drawing.  (See Washington Mega Millions winner claims $157 million jackpot, Lottery Post, Mar. 25, 2016.)

Lottery players can see an after-tax analysis of the current Mega Millions jackpot by visiting USA Mega's Jackpot Analysis page.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs. Occasionally the official jackpot estimate is raised even before the drawing, due to larger-than-expected sales.

In Friday night's Mega Millions drawing, there was no jackpot winner, but 3 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a second-prize win: 1 from California, 1 from New Jersey, and 1 from Rhode Island. The California second-prize winner will be awarded $316,712, and the 2 winners from the other states will receive prizes of $1,00,000 each.

The second-prize winner from Rhode Island will come home with a much bigger $5 million prize, because they purchased their ticket with the Megaplier option for an extra $1 per play.  So their prize was increased to $5 million, because the Megaplier number drawn was 5.

The Megaplier option is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered with the Megaplier is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Another 65 tickets matched four of the first five numbers plus the Mega Ball to win a $5,000 prize. Of those tickets, 3 were purchased with the Megaplier option, increasing the prize to $25,000, and 18 were sold in California, where the prize is worth $2,649 this drawing.

The Mega Millions winning numbers for Friday, June 17, 2016, were 20, 23, 30, 44, and 59, with Mega Ball number 9. The Megaplier number was 5.

Following the Friday drawing, the Mega Millions annuity jackpot estimate was raised $23 million from its previous amount of $310 million. The cash value was raised by $15.1 million, from its previous amount of $211.1 million. 

Mega Millions is currently offered for sale in 44 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Tickets cost $1 each.

The Mega Millions winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time

Tuesday's Mega Millions jackpot currently stands as the 21st-largest lottery jackpot of all time in the United States.  That position may rise before the drawing, as lotteries are typically conservative in their initial estimates, and brisk sales may push the jackpot estimate higher by draw time.

1. Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 - California, Florida, Tennessee
  2. Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
  3. Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 - California, Georgia
  4. Powerball: $590.5 million, May 18, 2013 - Florida
  5. Powerball: $587.5 million, Nov. 28, 2012 - Arizona, Missouri
  6. Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 11, 2015 - North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
  7. Powerball: $448.4 million, Aug. 7, 2013 - Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
  8. Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 - New Jersey
  9. Powerball: $425.3 million, Feb. 19, 2014 - California
  10. Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 - Florida, Maryland
  11. Powerball: $399.4 million, Sep. 18, 2013 - South Carolina
  12. Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 - Georgia, New Jersey
  13. Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. 4, 2011 - Idaho, Washington
  14. Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 - Nebraska
  15. The Big Game: $363 million, May 9, 2000 - Illinois, Michigan
  16. Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 - Oregon
  17. Powerball: $338.3 million, Mar. 23, 2013 - New Jersey
  18. Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 - Michigan
  19. Powerball: $336.4 million, Feb. 11, 2012 - Rhode Island
  20. Mega Millions: $336 million, Aug. 28, 2009 - California, New York
  21. Mega Millions: $333 million, Jun. 21, 2016 - Preliminary estimate, not won yet
  22. The Big Game: $331 million, Apr. 16, 2002 - Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey
  23. Mega Millions: $330 million, Aug. 31, 2007 - Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
  24. Mega Millions: $321 million, Nov. 4, 2014 - New York
  25. Mega Millions: $319 million, Mar. 25, 2011 - New York

For those keeping score, the number of jackpots in the top 25, by lottery game, are:

• Powerball: 13
  • Mega Millions: 10
  • The Big Game: 2

The Big Game is the original name of Mega Millions, from the game's first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 through May 14, 2002.  The name was changed to Mega Millions starting with the May 17, 2002 drawing.

Top 25 cash value jackpots

Since many lottery winners collect their winnings in cash, the lump-sum payout is an important measure of what a winning ticket could be worth.

Looking at the cash value, the upcoming Mega Millions jackpot ranks as the 13th-largest cash value in U.S. history.

1. Powerball: $983.5 million cash, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) - California, Florida, Tennessee
  2. Mega Millions: $471 million cash, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
  3. Powerball: $384.7 million cash, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.5 million annuity) - Arizona, Missouri
  4. Powerball: $381.1 million cash, Feb. 11, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) - North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
  5. Powerball: $370.9 million cash, May 18, 2013 ($590.5 million annuity) - Florida
  6. Mega Millions: $347.6 million cash, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) - California, Georgia
  7. Powerball: $284 million cash, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) - New Jersey
  8. Powerball: $258.2 million cash, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.4 million annuity) - Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
  9. Mega Millions: $240 million cash, Jan. 4, 2011 ($380 million annuity) - Idaho, Washington
  10. Mega Millions: $233.1 million cash, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) - Georgia, New Jersey
  11. Mega Millions: $230.9 million cash, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) - Florida, Maryland
  12. Powerball: $227.8 million cash, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.3 million annuity) - California
  13. Mega Millions: $226.2 million cash, Jun. 21, 2016 ($333 million annuity) - Preliminary estimate, not won yet
  14. Powerball: $224.7 million cash, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) - Michigan
  15. Powerball: $223.3 million cash, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.4 million annuity) - South Carolina
  16. Mega Millions: $214 million cash, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) - California, New York
  17. Powerball: $211 million cash, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.3 million annuity) - New Jersey
  18. Powerball: $210 million cash, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.4 million annuity) - Rhode Island
  19. Mega Millions: $202.9 million cash, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) - New York
  20. Mega Millions: $197.5 million cash, Nov. 4, 2014 ($321 million annuity) - New York
  21. Powerball: $197.4 million cash, Sep. 30, 2015 ($310.5 million annuity) - Michigan
  22. Mega Millions: $194.4 million cash, Aug. 31, 2007 ($330 million annuity) - Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
  23. Powerball: $191.9 million cash, Mar. 2, 2016 ($291.4 million annuity) - Florida
  24. Mega Millions: $185 million cash, Nov. 15, 2005 ($315 million annuity) - California
  25. The Big Game: $180 million cash, May 9, 2000 ($363 million annuity) - Illinois, Michigan

The number of cash value jackpots in the top 25, by lottery game, are:

• Powerball: 13
  • Mega Millions: 11
  • The Big Game: 1

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Bleudog101

THREE THREE THREE, what will be will be.   Come on now, add some chump change to make it $340 million.

Toronto

I want it!

charmed7's avatarcharmed7

I'm  in

jacintasc

I think it's time for Todd to win. And then he can post his own story of winning here on LP.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jun 19, 2016

I think it's time for Todd to win. And then he can post his own story of winning here on LP.

Maybe Todd won the $1 million in NJ last night. (Powerball).  He certainly deserves to win big time.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

The nerve of some people to rate this story one star. It shows a total lack of respect.

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

In the article, it states

"The second-prize winner from New Jersey will come home with a much bigger $5 million prize, because they purchased their ticket with the Megaplier option for an extra $1 per play.  So their prize was increased to $5 million, because the Megaplier number drawn was 5."

According to   http://nylottery.ny.gov/wps/portal/Home/Lottery/home/your+lottery/drawing+results/drawingresultsmega   it was the ticket purchased in Rhode Island that played the Megaplier to win $5 mil

Now's a good time for me to win this "LIFE CHANGING" JACKPOT!

jjtheprince

"Can't win" is too strong with this one, it'll roll into the billions like Powerball did.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Lump Sum for me. My age, health, plus the low-interest rates on the annuity are factors.

I might be able to invest it and gain more earnings then the annuity would bring.

Inflation is another factor when thinking about the 30-year plan. Better to have one bird in hand than two in the bush.

Have fun everybody since this is entertainment after all.Party

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jun 19, 2016

THREE THREE THREE, what will be will be.   Come on now, add some chump change to make it $340 million.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Please folks, someone win it this time. Please, stick to your good, lucky, personal numbers.
And then add a few random numbers to play.

I'm guessing that the first Megamillions prize we see on Tuesday,
before the draw, will be 355.

Winner this time?   I say yes, more than likely.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

My laptop mouse screwed up.

It "forced" me to make a singe star vote on the article, instead of what I wanted to make.

msharkey2001's avatarmsharkey2001

Man I'd hate to be a lottery player in California seeing what their state pays for a 5 of 5 or even 4 of 5 compared to the majority of  other participating states.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by msharkey2001 on Jun 19, 2016

Man I'd hate to be a lottery player in California seeing what their state pays for a 5 of 5 or even 4 of 5 compared to the majority of  other participating states.

Yes, I agree 100%.  It sucks that they don't have Powerplay or Megaplier.  Sometimes I cringe when I see how 'low' the five numbers pay.  Occasionally, or should I say rarely, it will pay more than someone who doesn't spend the extra dollar.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jun 19, 2016

"Can't win" is too strong with this one, it'll roll into the billions like Powerball did.

At this rate it'll take a long time to get to $1.5 billion like Powerball.  I still contend that if Powerball is won this time around, then Mega Millions will take off for the stratrosphere.

Kingofearth's avatarKingofearth

Majority? NO, ALL other states pay the same fixed payouts. But atleast they don't have any (state) taxes on the winnings. 

noise-gate

Wow: 2 years? During that time a female could have 2 kids back to back and still have some change left.This has been a slow growing jackpot- but l am not complaining. Like bread rising in the oven, a jackpot rising with many "000's" is music to the hearts and ears of the playing horde.When you about to unload your prize-  Come to rest in...

Image result for california you've  been here before, you know this place!

BBLL's avatarBBLL

Going back to Indiana to play again.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I got my two tickets and I am looking for a $5,000,000 winner out of my tickets since they are QP's.-weshar75

US Flag

sully16's avatarsully16

This is getting exciting, good luck players.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

If they don't pay 1 million for 5/5, then that sure is news to me.

Thanks for the warning.

I'd planned a trip out that way, for later this year.

How do you like that?  Is that what paramutual (paramutuel?) means?
That they don't pay as much as other states?   
Well, it may as well mean that.

Is it too much trouble for someone in their marketing department to advertise: 
"We DON'T pay as much as other states for hitting 5 out of 5 numbers" ?

LiveInGreenBay's avatarLiveInGreenBay

Got mine for tomorrow's drawing.  Weeeeeeeeeeee

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jun 19, 2016

Yes, I agree 100%.  It sucks that they don't have Powerplay or Megaplier.  Sometimes I cringe when I see how 'low' the five numbers pay.  Occasionally, or should I say rarely, it will pay more than someone who doesn't spend the extra dollar.

California constantly wins the jackpot,  why should they get even more of everyone else's money?

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Jun 20, 2016

California constantly wins the jackpot,  why should they get even more of everyone else's money?

Patriot I am a Californian and I do not win constantly. My numbers are just as good as anybody else's.

pickone4me, you and I are playing against each and every other player. May your numbers be drawn soon.

This is entertainment after all. Here is hoping for a win by a LP Member! Group Hug

lakerben's avatarlakerben

333?

If I win I'm going to build a huge house with a swimming pool,tennis court ,a moat , and a cannon.  You never know.

Lurking

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on Jun 20, 2016

If they don't pay 1 million for 5/5, then that sure is news to me.

Thanks for the warning.

I'd planned a trip out that way, for later this year.

How do you like that?  Is that what paramutual (paramutuel?) means?
That they don't pay as much as other states?   
Well, it may as well mean that.

Is it too much trouble for someone in their marketing department to advertise: 
"We DON'T pay as much as other states for hitting 5 out of 5 numbers" ?

Sometimes they pay more, far more even than $1M. Most of the time though they pay far less. I saw one of the drawings it only paid a little over $100,000 for a 5 + 0. 

While out today, I bought my lottery tickets for the upcoming draws.

I bought a $5 Mega, 1 NY lotto and a $2 Powerball. I also purchased a 10 game Quick Draw (Keno type game in NY) and hit for $45 in one of the games. After I cahed the ticket, I bought another $5 Mega Millions ticket.

So....I have 10 lines for Tuesday's Mega drawing.

Hoping for the best! See Ya!Group HugCheersBananaHyperDanceParty

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jun 20, 2016

Patriot I am a Californian and I do not win constantly. My numbers are just as good as anybody else's.

pickone4me, you and I are playing against each and every other player. May your numbers be drawn soon.

This is entertainment after all. Here is hoping for a win by a LP Member! Group Hug

People are always looking for loopholes to the "california always wins"  You know exactly what I meant.  Go look at the winners page for mega millions and see what state has the most wins.

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Jun 20, 2016

People are always looking for loopholes to the "california always wins"  You know exactly what I meant.  Go look at the winners page for mega millions and see what state has the most wins.

Oh yes because tiny little Wisconsin totally should have more winners than the state that has over 10% of the US population in it. 

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jun 20, 2016

Oh yes because tiny little Wisconsin totally should have more winners than the state that has over 10% of the US population in it. 

It doesn't matter where you live (or happen to visit) and buy the winning ticket.

As with the TN Powerball ticket, he wasn't going to stop and buy tickets. Only because his wife called him did he get them. On top of that, he bought only four quick pick tickets where some people buy 10-20 or 50 or more and win squat.

So, it doesn't matter where you are, who you are or how many tickets you buy. The only thing that matters are how many numbers you match. Period!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

after taxes and such more like $111M , i could  get by on that LOL

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jun 20, 2016

after taxes and such more like $111M , i could  get by on that LOL

Yep, finally getting into the "real money" you can actually retire on!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jun 20, 2016

Yep, finally getting into the "real money" you can actually retire on!

Real Money to retire on huh? l'm surprised you didn't say nothing less than a billion dollars is required to set one up for life. 

Kyle7824's avatarKyle7824

Watch this 

20- Barry Sanders

23- Jordan/James 

30- S. Curry 

44- Hank Aaron 

59- Luke Kuechly 

-9 Drew Brees 

All well known athletes @ football baseball basketball...

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jun 20, 2016

It doesn't matter where you live (or happen to visit) and buy the winning ticket.

As with the TN Powerball ticket, he wasn't going to stop and buy tickets. Only because his wife called him did he get them. On top of that, he bought only four quick pick tickets where some people buy 10-20 or 50 or more and win squat.

So, it doesn't matter where you are, who you are or how many tickets you buy. The only thing that matters are how many numbers you match. Period!

Loved your signature, a Will Rogers quote. He leads the way through the Great Depression with his own style of humor.

Thank You for your reply about where, who, and how many tickets you buy. One does need to be eighteen years old or older to play here in the U.S.  We do not want an American Callie Rogers who won in the U.K. when she was only 16 years old. Thankfully she survived her experience and is married to a good man.

myturn's avatarmyturn

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jun 20, 2016

California should restart a subscription service. They had a subscription service some years ago, but it was abolished.

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jun 20, 2016

So because commiefornia has a much larger population it should be entitled to always win!?    Wow just wow,  I bet you are a democrat voter too.  What the hell happened to every ticket has an equal chance of winning?  It is basically a minority of large populated states that have an unfair advantage over the MM & PB jackpots.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Jun 21, 2016

So because commiefornia has a much larger population it should be entitled to always win!?    Wow just wow,  I bet you are a democrat voter too.  What the hell happened to every ticket has an equal chance of winning?  It is basically a minority of large populated states that have an unfair advantage over the MM & PB jackpots.

California State officials back in the 1970's asked, no begged millions of its residents to move to the Great State of Wisconsin to help build up their population but they refused.Big Smile How is that California's fault? In a sense- we are being accused of playing the lottery, isn't that the whole purpose of having these games: to play? You want Californians to play, but not win.. what a selfish individual you have turned out to be.

Common Sense 2016

faber98

you just don't get it. player A buys 1 ticket in california. player B buys 1 ticket in tenn. both have exactly the same chance of winning. if california has more people buying tickets they (not because they live there) should win more often because collectively more tickets were sold there. eliminate the state borders in your mind. it does not matter where you live.

You can all save your money....I already bought the winning ticket for tonight's MM drawing

Big SmileEmbarassedBig GrinEekCheersROFLGreen laughBananaDanceHyperPartySad CheersWhite Bounce

lookingforca$h

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jun 21, 2016

You can all save your money....I already bought the winning ticket for tonight's MM drawing

Big SmileEmbarassedBig GrinEekCheersROFLGreen laughBananaDanceHyperPartySad CheersWhite Bounce

I guess I'll "settle" for the $5Million prize Cheers

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by lakerben on Jun 20, 2016

333?

If I win I'm going to build a huge house with a swimming pool,tennis court ,a moat , and a cannon.  You never know.

Lurking

What's up Ben, I found you a dream house with a moat and a pool. Tennis court and cannon sold separately.

moat

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jun 20, 2016

Real Money to retire on huh? l'm surprised you didn't say nothing less than a billion dollars is required to set one up for life. 

I'm not old & decrepit.  I could possibly live 50-60 more years, so a chump change $15 mil minimum MM jackpot wouldn't cut it for me.

Nope, the Democrats like Obama and Hillary are center-right corporate puppets. I'm a REAL Leftist.The 10 largest states have over half the population, the 5 people who live in Wisconsin can't compete with the millions of people in New York or Texas or Georgia.   

Redd55

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 21, 2016

What's up Ben, I found you a dream house with a moat and a pool. Tennis court and cannon sold separately.

moat

I want something like out of the opening scenes of Game of Thrones.   Jack-in-the-Box

Quote: Originally posted by Redd55 on Jun 21, 2016

I want something like out of the opening scenes of Game of Thrones.   Jack-in-the-Box

Ahhhh, yes Redd, this KINGDOM could be yours if you'll just match the correct 6 numbers this evening. Please invite me to the house warming party your majesty.

THRONES

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

Golfer- you still set on relocating to Georgia in the event you get lucky? I imagine you could get several "modest" type homes throughout the country and it would only cost you a fraction of what one of these mega mansions run.

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jun 21, 2016

Golfer- you still set on relocating to Georgia in the event you get lucky? I imagine you could get several "modest" type homes throughout the country and it would only cost you a fraction of what one of these mega mansions run.

Hey D!!! I still got my eye on a sweet Georgia Peach (not a fruit or GF). You like this modest abode D?

Canton, GA: 6bd, 6ba, 5328 sq ft on a golf course. Just sold for $480K!

canton

If I win, I'll be on that Midnight Train to Georgia.

Sweet Georgia Peaches:

peaches

Sweet Georgia Peaches:

peaches

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jun 21, 2016

Georgia on My Mind
Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through (the whole day through)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind (Georgia on my mind)
I'm say Georgia, Georgia
A song of you (a song of you)
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines
Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you
I said Georgia, oh Georgia
No peace I find (peace I find)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind (Georgia on my mind)
Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes Full lyrics on Google Play

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jun 21, 2016

Nope, the Democrats like Obama and Hillary are center-right corporate puppets. I'm a REAL Leftist.The 10 largest states have over half the population, the 5 people who live in Wisconsin can't compete with the millions of people in New York or Texas or Georgia.   

So...If you did win the 333 million dollar jackpot and being the "REAL Leftist" you say you are... I guess that means you'll share that money will all of us.  Right?

noise-gate

If I win, I'll be on that Midnight Train to Georgia.

Sweet Georgia Peaches:

peaches

Sweet Georgia Peaches:

peaches

What happened to the picture of the woman in a sari G? It's okay to show your ethnicity. Replacing her with fruit...kinda low. The young thing below has great posture, she  sure know how to push her trunk out, cute, real cute. 

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jun 21, 2016

What happened to the picture of the woman in a sari G? It's okay to show your ethnicity. Replacing her with fruit...kinda low. The young thing below has great posture, she  sure know how to push her trunk out, cute, real cute. 

Yep, those are some real fine looking peaches!  Naughty

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Here's a really easy question: if one person buys 580 thousand tickets and another person buys 3,250 thousand tickets which one has a better chance of winning? Bonus question: how much better is their chance of winning?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 21, 2016

Here's a really easy question: if one person buys 580 thousand tickets and another person buys 3,250 thousand tickets which one has a better chance of winning? Bonus question: how much better is their chance of winning?

I look at it a little different, unless you buy every possible combination the more tickets you buy the more chances you have to lose.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jun 21, 2016

There are more prizes than the jackpot to win.  Besides there's no guarantee the jackpot won't be shared.

music*'s avatarmusic*

My bet is on a roll over again. At least second place winners will be happy.LOL

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jun 21, 2016

I look at it a little different, unless you buy every possible combination the more tickets you buy the more chances you have to lose.

WHY DO YOU SPEND $15 PER DRAWING ON MEGA MILLIONS INSTEAD OF $1? I know that you can afford it, but LUCK IS LUCK. You only need $1 to win $333M.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 21, 2016

WHY DO YOU SPEND $15 PER DRAWING ON MEGA MILLIONS INSTEAD OF $1? I know that you can afford it, but LUCK IS LUCK. You only need $1 to win $333M.

"WHY DO YOU SPEND $15 PER DRAWING ON MEGA MILLIONS INSTEAD OF $1?"

Why do you care how I spend my money?  Are you just nosey or will knowing change your lottery playing strategy?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jun 21, 2016

"WHY DO YOU SPEND $15 PER DRAWING ON MEGA MILLIONS INSTEAD OF $1?"

Why do you care how I spend my money?  Are you just nosey or will knowing change your lottery playing strategy?

I AM A THRIFTY LOTTERY PLAYER NOT A SPENDTHRIFT LOTTERY PLAYER LIKE YOU.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

music*'s avatarmusic*

Enjoy the entertainment while you are dreaming.Lurking

SWS050

I have been seeing the number 333 a lot in the last three years, so I saw this as a sign.  LOL.   My friend and I combined money to buy some tickets in Wyoming last weekend.   I know it won't be 333 when all is said and done, (probably 353 or something,), but figured, hey maybe it is telling me to buy mega now.   I had my friend out of state buy some, but he bouught powerball instead.   Oh, well.   Maybe the Wyoming tix will win.    Big Smile

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I'm a thrifty beer drinker and cigarette smoker myself.  I don't do either and I don't question others who do.  Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Big Grin Santa

Christmas in June!

I'll take it!

Noise, I'm not hiding my ethnicity. The previous picture was Actress/Singer Jennifer Lopez (I don't think she was wearing a sari). You wanna see my ethnicity? What?

lookingforca$h

I didn't get even 1 number Disapprove

Quote: Originally posted by lookingforca$h on Jun 21, 2016

I didn't get even 1 number Disapprove

Sad Cheers same. Here's to hoping it rolls to 263 like the announcer said it will if no one wins it.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Mega Millions winners are in Michigan and Texas. Sully16 and MikeinTexas come to mind. Each of them won the second place prize.

Good Luck to all LP members on Friday night.Dance

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jun 21, 2016

Sad Cheers same. Here's to hoping it rolls to 263 like the announcer said it will if no one wins it.

Kingofearth, Your hopes for a jackpot of $363 million have been realized. And the Lump Sum is now $244.6 million dollars. I think we can expect a new Top 25 from Todd. This run is beginning to look exciting. What would you do with all of this money? Here are a few ideas.

CDARS up to $50 million invested www.cdars.com  Jumbo CD's, Treasuries www.treasurydirect.gov , Mutual Funds, Real Estate, Stocks and Bonds, Municipal bonds,

Hey D!!! I still got my eye on a sweet Georgia Peach (not a fruit or GF). You like this modest abode D?

Canton, GA: 6bd, 6ba, 5328 sq ft on a golf course. Just sold for $480K!

canton

Pic of house is deceiving as it doesn't appear that large but for $480k on a golf course it sure it nice!

MaximumMillions

I'd go for a beachfront property in the gulf states or east coast, nothing ostentatious.

What does someone's taste or preference have to do with their ethnicity?

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story