Man buys wrong lottery ticket, wins $169 million

Jul 1, 2016, 6:37 pm (65 comments)

Mega Millions

Her husband didn't listen — and it paid off to the tune of $169 million.

Mega Millions winner Nancy Viola asked her husband, Vito Viola — an NYPD sergeant — to buy Powerball tickets from the 2520 Foodmart in the Willowbrook section of Staten Island on Jan. 8. She had the Powerball fever that was gripping the country.

"Because the jackpot was $900 million," she said. "It was big. It was all everybody was talking about. He didn't listen."

Instead, her husband used a leftover dollar to buy a Quick Pick for the Mega Millions — 11, 39, 51, 57, and 75, with Mega Ball 2.

"That was a good thing," a beaming Viola said Thursday as she stood next to a giant check.

The following day, the Staten Island homemaker heard the winning ticket had been bought from the same location.

So she checked her ticket.

"I started with the Mega ball," she remembered. "I checked all the other numbers. They all matched, and can you imagine what that was like? I thought I was having a heart attack. There was a little screaming."

The couple kept the news quiet for months.

"We didn't tell anybody. We kept it a secret," she said. "It was difficult, but it's exciting now."

Viola and her husband — who joined the NYPD in 2005 and works out of the 120th Precinct — assembled a financial team and claimed the ticket on March 10. They chose to receive the prize as a one-time lump sum payment of $64,796,160.

Both 37, the couple hasn't made any big purchases yet. But Vito Viola has already put in for retirement.

"Lucky him," Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said at an unrelated press conference.

In Staten Island, Viola ducked questions about her personal life or how the family plans to spend the big win. She said they set up a foundation called The Orbity Fund LLC to cash the check.

"It's just absolutely amazing," she said. "It's just a blessing."

It is not the first time good fortune shone on her husband. In 2007 he helped deliver a baby in a Bay Ridge apartment. "We're trained in basic life saving techniques," Vito Viola told the Brooklyn Paper at the time. "But we're not certified to deliver a baby that's for sure."

As for the lottery win, the family was still coming to terms with the sudden wealth. "We want to let it all sink in," Nancy Viola said. "Anything is possible. Maybe a convertible. Everything is so new still. It has to just settle in, you know, see what happens. Buy a big house? Maybe in the future. It's a lot of money."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Daily News, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

gatorsrok

That's awesome for them.  Seems like they are planning to use the money responsibly.  I'd be happy with $1M.

jacintasc

they took a long time to claim

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to the Lucky couple. Spend and invest wisely.Party

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

If they claimed the ticket on March 10th, why is this story only hitting Lottery Post on July 1st?

hmmm

MotoX2

All it took was $1 quick pick ticket.  Very lucky and congrats to them.

quicksloth35

Huge congrats to the winners. Par-tay!!!!

Party

That is the mysterious MM claimed, now where is that Chino Hills PB winner?

Kingofearth's avatarKingofearth

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jul 1, 2016

they took a long time to claim

They claimed it 2 months after the drawing...... It just hasn't hit the news until yesterday.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Good for them.

Any one still deny Luck?

Lep

Albeone

Congrates to this couple. Love stories like this, just proves it don't matter what system or routine you use, it's all about the luck of the draw.

ekem6078's avatarekem6078

Wow, that was nothing but a blessing.  Spend it wisely like helping  others that need help, like meeeeee  lol.  Just kidding.  Congrads to the lucky couple.

Dd2160's avatarDd2160

WOW that's really nice!!

Piaceri

It was meant to be. Congrats to the Viola family!

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

I don't think he "bought the wrong ticket"

His wife called and said get a few PowerBall tickets...He takes out a $5 bill and buys 2 tickets @ $2 each and has $1 left over. He says...Give me ONE MEGA since that $169 mil jackpot wasn't too shabby. They win with the 1 ticket!

It wasn't the WRONG ticket, it was most definitely the RIGHT ticket!

Congrats!

LOTTOKING2016

What's the date and Time this ticket was bought ?? I can't see properly

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Lovely job!  Congratulations!

Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOKING2016 on Jul 2, 2016

What's the date and Time this ticket was bought ?? I can't see properly

It was bought on Friday January 8th at 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time. 

MaximumMillions

Yolanda Vega is always "on".

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 1, 2016

If they claimed the ticket on March 10th, why is this story only hitting Lottery Post on July 1st?

hmmm

Yea I was thinking the same thing? 

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations, enjoy your newfound wealth!

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the Lucky couple. Dance

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Can you imagine their winnings had they bought the right lottery ticket?

LOTTOKING2016

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jul 2, 2016

It was bought on Friday January 8th at 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time. 

Thanks buddy..What's the seconds?

jjtheprince

LOL they didn't win because they bought the wrong ticket, they won because they bought in a "Cain't lose" state.

SoleWinner21

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jul 2, 2016

LOL they didn't win because they bought the wrong ticket, they won because they bought in a "Cain't lose" state.

You got that right. NY can leave lose

LOTTOKING2016

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jul 2, 2016

If that was true then why I haven't won yet? Since OCT 2011

jjtheprince

If that was true then why I haven't won yet? Since OCT 2011

You're the odd man out I guess?

Thanks buddy..What's the seconds?

34 seconds. 8:33:34, maybe i should buy my Mega millions ticket on Tuesday at that time. It worked for them. 

Kyle7824's avatarKyle7824

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jul 2, 2016

34 seconds. 8:33:34, maybe i should buy my Mega millions ticket on Tuesday at that time. It worked for them. 

Hey in Lotto math, 3-8 are the same number "mirror" haha 

8:33 Time 

Date 8th... just saying... hehe

9 = 4

8 = 3

7 = 2

6 = 1

5 = 0

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to this lottery jackpot winner. I didn't know that jackpot was revised upward from $165 million to $169 million in that upcoming draw on my sister (Phuong)'s 37th birthday because it was her birthday that day.

Ricklou's avatarRicklou

Nice one congrats

mike cos

hurray for that brother in blue--congrats to my fellow staten islander also --it appears the NYPD just got another resignation --veryy good sgt viola --enjoy prosper god bless!!!!Party

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Wow! $1 ticket!!

LOTTOKING2016

Quote: Originally posted by Kyle7824 on Jul 2, 2016

Hey in Lotto math, 3-8 are the same number "mirror" haha 

8:33 Time 

Date 8th... just saying... hehe

9 = 4

8 = 3

7 = 2

6 = 1

5 = 0

Nice observation

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

I agree with Gator!Smash

Kyle7824's avatarKyle7824

Nice observation

Thanks

xstreamgaming15's avatarxstreamgaming15

Congrats to the Viola couple but did they really have to show a picture of the husband? like his life is in any less dangerious as a cop.

Quote: Originally posted by xstreamgaming15 on Jul 2, 2016

Congrats to the Viola couple but did they really have to show a picture of the husband? like his life is in any less dangerious as a cop.

That could be the reason the lottery waited to announce the win.

He put in for retirement and it takes a while for all the paperwork to go through.

By now, he is probably no longer a police officer.

speeddmon

Can some explain the math of a $169 million dollar win to less than $64 million after taxes. That's less than half. Thanks

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Quote: Originally posted by speeddmon on Jul 3, 2016

Can some explain the math of a $169 million dollar win to less than $64 million after taxes. That's less than half. Thanks

$169 million is the value based on a 30-year annuity for megamillions if you choose to get paid over 30 years.. The actual cash value is a lot less if you choose the lump sum payment.They chose to receive the prize as a one-time lump sum payment of $64,796,160. Today, at the time of this post, Mega Millions is $449 million 30-year annuity, the cash value is only $313.3 million if you take one-time lump sum cash. Hope that makes it a little clearer for you. Remember 25% fed taxes and some portion of state taxes{if applicable} are also withheld before you see a dime of that money, then you go home and figure out what you owe come April 15. LOTTERY WINS SHOULD NEVER BE TAXED!!!.

speeddmon

Wow I didn't know that. I guess I would want to take 30 year annuinty to make sure I get all "my money" lol. So you have to pay taxes on your win every year as well? Time to figure out how those celebrities and 1% beat paying out their tax each year.

Wow I didn't know that. I guess I would want to take 30 year annuinty to make sure I get all "my money" lol. So you have to pay taxes on your win every year as well? Time to figure out how those celebrities and 1% beat paying out their tax each year.

Yes, every year. It is sad that we are the only advanced nation that taxes lottery wins. Some idiots have said before, "If you don't like it, don't play".

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Jul 3, 2016

$169 million is the value based on a 30-year annuity for megamillions if you choose to get paid over 30 years.. The actual cash value is a lot less if you choose the lump sum payment.They chose to receive the prize as a one-time lump sum payment of $64,796,160. Today, at the time of this post, Mega Millions is $449 million 30-year annuity, the cash value is only $313.3 million if you take one-time lump sum cash. Hope that makes it a little clearer for you. Remember 25% fed taxes and some portion of state taxes{if applicable} are also withheld before you see a dime of that money, then you go home and figure out what you owe come April 15. LOTTERY WINS SHOULD NEVER BE TAXED!!!.

Yes state taxes are applicable in this case, to the tune of 8.82% State and 3.5ish% City. 

An emergency room doctor saves  your life: His income is taxed

A soldier risks his life in the deserts of Iraq: His income is taxed

A food bank worker spends long hours helping people in need: Her income is taxed

You spend 5 minutes of your day off the sofa to get some tickets for a game of chance and happen to  win big: Tax free?

We need to have a flat national rate of 50%. If you live in Texas then it's 50% Federal, 0% State, If you live in Buffalo (NY) then it's 41.18% Federal, 8.82% State etc etc. That way all you need is the cash value and you'll instantly know how much you'll get.   

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Jul 3, 2016

Yes, every year. It is sad that we are the only advanced nation that taxes lottery wins. Some idiots have said before, "If you don't like it, don't play".

WRONG

Only 9 countries give it tax free (Australia, Canada, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Liechentstein, New Zealand, and the UK).   

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jul 3, 2016

WRONG

Only 9 countries give it tax free (Australia, Canada, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Liechentstein, New Zealand, and the UK).   

+Austria, Poland, Hungary, Czech republic, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Malta, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Taiwan...

Quote: Originally posted by Kingofearth on Jul 3, 2016

WRONG

Agree with stupid total BS

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

You get your money either way. The cash value is the true jackpot amount. They invest the cash amount to pay an annuity for 25, 30 years, whatever. You would be getting the money over a period of years. If you elect to take the cash, you just invest it on your own.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Jul 3, 2016

+Austria, Poland, Hungary, Czech republic, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Malta, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Taiwan...

It's awful that you have pay taxes, IMO, on big lottery wins.  It is basically a voluntary  tax buying tickets.  Too bad our Congress, which writes IRS laws, are so money hungry they don't realize that folks will stimulate the economy even to a higher  level if weren't for Federal taxes.

I can remember to this day when IRS big wigs were dining lunch in the D.C. area and then realized time to tax the heck out of the underpaid waiters/waitresses/servers.  This was in the 80's while stationed in the DC area for eight years.  This is so wrong but they got their way.  A flat tax would abolish the bloated bureaucracy IRS.  What truly amazes me is the shambles it seems to be in.  People getting fraudulently obtained tax returns.  Most of the blame goes to their antiquated computer system.  Millions spent on it and it is still broken. Oh well, life goes on.

Watch this video, it will explain the difference between cash value and annuity.

Either way you decide to collect a lottery win, you always get "all your money" If you select cash value, you receive the cash on hand from selling tickets, without the interest from investing the money. But, if you choose the annuity, you get the full amount of the annuitized jackpot amount broken down over many years to come. Watch the video!

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by mike cos on Jul 2, 2016

hurray for that brother in blue--congrats to my fellow staten islander also --it appears the NYPD just got another resignation --veryy good sgt viola --enjoy prosper god bless!!!!Party

Hope he throws in the towel as a police officer.  His picture plastered all over the place certainly is not too safe for him or his family.

Toronto

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jul 3, 2016

It's awful that you have pay taxes, IMO, on big lottery wins.  It is basically a voluntary  tax buying tickets.  Too bad our Congress, which writes IRS laws, are so money hungry they don't realize that folks will stimulate the economy even to a higher  level if weren't for Federal taxes.

I can remember to this day when IRS big wigs were dining lunch in the D.C. area and then realized time to tax the heck out of the underpaid waiters/waitresses/servers.  This was in the 80's while stationed in the DC area for eight years.  This is so wrong but they got their way.  A flat tax would abolish the bloated bureaucracy IRS.  What truly amazes me is the shambles it seems to be in.  People getting fraudulently obtained tax returns.  Most of the blame goes to their antiquated computer system.  Millions spent on it and it is still broken. Oh well, life goes on.

How will it stimulate even more? All I read on this site is people not spending, not being like those stories in which people blow it all. Just like the wealthy upper-income do in society now, most who win big jackpots would just hoard money, so how would removing taxes on lottery wins (which by the way you in no way earned and didn't even have the day before winning so it's $X million more than you had) be a better outcome?

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

I just re-read the entire article written by the NY Daily News which is an ultra left wing outlet and they insinuate that the husband only bought the $1 mega million and none of the PB tickets that his wife requested. Several other articles not written by the Daily News mention that he bought $20 worth of Powerball tickets thus leaving him with a dollar in his wallet and at that point decided to spend it on a MM ticket.

Articles like this use selective editing in order to glorify a set of events to make it sound as incredible as possible. Bottom line is the husband did purchase the wrong ticket with the left over dollar but only after buying $20 worth of PB to begin with.

This is still a feel good story but I find it very misleading when certain facts are intentionally omitted in order to present a different narrative. 

On a side note, the winning ticket was claimed in early March but this story didn't come out until late June thereby giving the lucky couple over 3 months lead time to relocate and start enjoying their new life...it would be nice if other states followed suit.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jul 3, 2016

I just re-read the entire article written by the NY Daily News which is an ultra left wing outlet and they insinuate that the husband only bought the $1 mega million and none of the PB tickets that his wife requested. Several other articles not written by the Daily News mention that he bought $20 worth of Powerball tickets thus leaving him with a dollar in his wallet and at that point decided to spend it on a MM ticket.

Articles like this use selective editing in order to glorify a set of events to make it sound as incredible as possible. Bottom line is the husband did purchase the wrong ticket with the left over dollar but only after buying $20 worth of PB to begin with.

This is still a feel good story but I find it very misleading when certain facts are intentionally omitted in order to present a different narrative. 

On a side note, the winning ticket was claimed in early March but this story didn't come out until late June thereby giving the lucky couple over 3 months lead time to relocate and start enjoying their new life...it would be nice if other states followed suit.

I took journalism in high school in the early 70's. My teacher would not recognize what is called journalism today. It's all deception and slanted.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Vote with you dollars. Stop buying the newspapers, magazines, and do not buy what is advertised on the tv news shows.Cussing Face

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jul 3, 2016

Vote with you dollars. Stop buying the newspapers, magazines, and do not buy what is advertised on the tv news shows.Cussing Face

Decline the press availability and the "grip and grin photo" shoot. The media will learn and listen.

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jul 3, 2016

I took journalism in high school in the early 70's. My teacher would not recognize what is called journalism today. It's all deception and slanted.

Very sad state of affairs as even blogs are considered news outlets.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

Australia isnt totally tax free, the winnings are, but there is a gambling tax paid at time of the tickets purchase, for every ticket. 1/11th of the  bet, its a gambling tax the gov charges all gambling operations. but yeah we get our advertised Jackpots

Redd55

About 6 years ago, there was a death that the MSM was trying to make political (it was suicide). I read the local small town news reports and they would include direct quotes from officials. The MSM would remove the quotes, rewrite the statements, and thereby give it the opposite meaning of that was conveyed by the speaker. 

So, any time you read a news account where they have he said/he stated, etc., instead of quotes -- be suspicious. 

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jul 3, 2016

Watch this video, it will explain the difference between cash value and annuity.

Either way you decide to collect a lottery win, you always get "all your money" If you select cash value, you receive the cash on hand from selling tickets, without the interest from investing the money. But, if you choose the annuity, you get the full amount of the annuitized jackpot amount broken down over many years to come. Watch the video!

These days annuity is pointless. You still end up paying taxes on the interest. If you get a good stock broker, they could probably get you at least a 6-8% APY where most banks are 1%. I'd like to know what Bank the MUSL uses to figure out their cash value.

noise-gate

Their  came in. Plain and simple. Congrats!!

LottoBux's avatarLottoBux

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 1, 2016

hmmm

If You Won That Much Money,Wouldn't You Take The Time To Decide What You Would Do With It?

These Things Take Time To Plan

Especially Finding Someone To Help You Finance Your Winnings.

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBux on Jul 4, 2016

If You Won That Much Money,Wouldn't You Take The Time To Decide What You Would Do With It?

These Things Take Time To Plan

Especially Finding Someone To Help You Finance Your Winnings.

Hey LottoBux, Yes I would take the time to plan before i claimed the ticket. But have you ever seen someone claim the prize on March 10th and the lottery hold off on publicizing their story until June 29th?

That was nice of the NY Lottery to do that but I've never seen it happen before.

Has anyone ever seen that happen before?

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 4, 2016

Hey LottoBux, Yes I would take the time to plan before i claimed the ticket. But have you ever seen someone claim the prize on March 10th and the lottery hold off on publicizing their story until June 29th?

That was nice of the NY Lottery to do that but I've never seen it happen before.

Hey Golfer- that was my point as well. It seems many here didn't even realize the discrepancy from the tim the ticket was redeemed until the media published the story granted they did take two months prior to claiming their winnings which should have given that enough time to consult with experts and get their financial planning in order.

This case would be a nice precedent for future jackpot winners- giving three month headstart after claiming before revealing their names.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 4, 2016

I do remember there was a winner in NY in Sheephead (?) Bay who claimed very late, the PB or MM site years later didn't show claim status as "claimed" or expired" but as "pending", no info given on the winner.

Noise-gate found an article on it when I brought it up, but I don't remember where. The whole story seemed very hush-hush. Think it was a 130M$ jackpot.

It was this one: http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2013/NY_Nikolayev111613.shtml

But like I said the "Winner's Stories" section didn't show any info on it until 2015 or so.

EDIT:

I think this post is about that winner too:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/282918/3864196?q=Brighton+Beach&rp=search

Initially, the claim time passed but he still got his money? How?

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jul 5, 2016

Hey Golfer- that was my point as well. It seems many here didn't even realize the discrepancy from the tim the ticket was redeemed until the media published the story granted they did take two months prior to claiming their winnings which should have given that enough time to consult with experts and get their financial planning in order.

This case would be a nice precedent for future jackpot winners- giving three month headstart after claiming before revealing their names.

Hi D, I agree with you 100% that giving all winners a 3-month or 6-month head start would be great. New Jersey was considering the 6-month option but I never heard anything else about it.

My first reaction was that LP received the information late but the MM website didn't even publish the article until 6/29/16. So MM held off on discovery.

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Jul 5, 2016

I do remember there was a winner in NY in Sheephead (?) Bay who claimed very late, the PB or MM site years later didn't show claim status as "claimed" or expired" but as "pending", no info given on the winner.

Noise-gate found an article on it when I brought it up, but I don't remember where. The whole story seemed very hush-hush. Think it was a 130M$ jackpot.

It was this one: http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2013/NY_Nikolayev111613.shtml

But like I said the "Winner's Stories" section didn't show any info on it until 2015 or so.

EDIT:

I think this post is about that winner too:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/282918/3864196?q=Brighton+Beach&rp=search

Initially, the claim time passed but he still got his money? How?

Wow, good work Max. I wasn't aware of that prior incident in Brooklyn, NY. The common denominator in both delayed public notification cases is that both times it happened in the State of New York.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story