Indiana lottery ticket wins $540 million Mega Millions jackpot

Jul 9, 2016, 8:52 am (111 comments)

Mega Millions

Updated: Added location where winning ticket was sold

By Todd Northrop

One winning ticket sold in The Hoosier State beat the odds and matched all the numbers drawn in Friday's Mega Millions drawing to win the colossal $540 million jackpot.

The numbers that single lottery ticket from Indiana matched in Friday's drawing were 8, 19, 20, 55, and 73, with Mega Ball number 5.

The winning ticket was purchased at the Speedway at 1589 N State Road 1 in Cambridge City, Indiana.

The lucky ticket holder will be the sole recipient of the third largest Mega Millions pot in history, and the seventh-biggest prize in U.S. lottery history, surpassing an August 2013 Powerball prize of $448.4 million, shared by a ticket from Minnesota and two tickets from New Jersey.

This is by far the largest lottery prize won in the state of Indiana. The previous record in the state was a $314.3 million Powerball jackpot won on Aug. 25, 2007, claimed by a retired auto worker and his 2 children.

This is the third top-10 jackpot so far in 2016. In January, there were three winning tickets for a $1.58 billion Powerball jackpot — by far the largest in history — and a group of eight players in New Jersey won a $429.6 million Powerball jackpot in May.

But perhaps even more important is the lump-sum cash option of $380 million, since most big winners claim the up-front cash rather than the annuity amount paid in 30 annual installments.

It's the fifth-largest cash value in U.S. lottery history, and the second-largest Mega Millions cash value ever awarded.  If the winner chooses the cash payout option, it will be the largest cash payout to a single lottery ticket in history, surpassing the $370.9 million cash payout to Florida Powerball winner Gloria MacKenzie in May of 2013.

Besides Friday night's Mega Millions jackpot winner another 10 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from Colorado, 1 from Connecticut, 1 from Florida, 1 from Kansas, 1 from Louisiana, 1 from Maryland, 1 from Massachusetts, 1 from Missouri, 1 from New Jersey, and 1 from Oklahoma.

Three of the second-prize winners — the tickets sold in Colorado, Florida, and Kansas — purchased their tickets with the Megaplier option for an extra $1 per play and doubled their prize to $2 million, because the Megaplier number drawn was 2.

The Megaplier option is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered with the Megaplier is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Another 200 tickets matched four of the first five numbers plus the Mega Ball to win a $5,000 prize. Of those tickets, 22 were purchased with the Megaplier option, increasing the prize to $10,000, and 24 were sold in California, where the prize is worth $6,264 this drawing.

The $540 million jackpot started building from its $15 million starting point on March 11. The jackpot run-up of a record 35 drawings produced more than 79.6 million winning tickets across all prize levels, including the one jackpot winner and 67 second-tier prizes of $1 million or more.

Mega Millions is currently offered for sale in 44 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Tickets cost $1 each.

The Mega Millions winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations to the Happy WinnersParty

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Jul 9, 2016

Congratulations to the Happy WinnersParty

Honestly, I could cry.
But I realize that eventually, it had to be somebody.

Mr. Groppo

(There, there Groppochini, there will be other drawings.)

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Congratulations to the winner/winners.

Albeone

If one individual claims this ticket and elects the cash option, wouldn't this be the largest lump sum payment for a single claim?

quicksloth35

Congrats to the winner(s)! Thanks for now making this a fantastic time to win PB!

SoleWinner21

Quote: Originally posted by Albeone on Jul 9, 2016

If one individual claims this ticket and elects the cash option, wouldn't this be the largest lump sum payment for a single claim?

Gloria Mackenzie- $ 590 million

Think's avatarThink

Well, if it rolls like this again then the next stop is November!

Looks like this time people started kicking in at around $400,000,000.

Note to conspiracy theorists there wasn't even a second prize in Michigan.

As for me I missed third prize (8,20,53,72,75  5) and got 10 bux.

Congrats to the winner and I hope they are an LP member.

jacintasc

I can't wait  for my turn in about 3 or 4 years from now when the jackpot will be huge again. What?

Either MM will have to change its matrix or it will no longer be a game in the future. Poor sales, poor sales, poor sales.

Albeone

Quote: Originally posted by SoleWinner21 on Jul 9, 2016

Gloria Mackenzie- $ 590 million

Looked her info up, that's the jackpot amount, the cash value was 370.9..

jjtheprince

Very tempted to drive to Indiana now and buy Powerball tickets.  Indiana is now "Can't lose"

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Looking at gross this is largest single-ticket cash.

However, technically Gloria would still come out on top in real $.

Florida has no state tax on lotto

Indiana has 3.4% tax, reducing prize to about $367.08 million before Federal

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

I checked the winners page on both MM & PB, doesn't appear to be much jack pot wins for indiana, so on that note I guess congrats are in order.  I will revoke my congrats if the winner is from an often winning state.

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

I have not even checked my tickets yet!!

Piaceri

Congrats to the SINGLE TICKET winner!!!!! 

Dance

Hyper

Banana

Hurray!

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Jul 9, 2016

You could be a WINNER!!Party

SoleWinner21

Quote: Originally posted by Albeone on Jul 9, 2016

Looked her info up, that's the jackpot amount, the cash value was 370.9..

Indiana state tax knocks down the 380 cash value below Gloria's 370. Thus, she remains the undefeated  champ by a close margin.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by SoleWinner21 on Jul 9, 2016

Indiana state tax knocks down the 380 cash value below Gloria's 370. Thus, she remains the undefeated  champ by a close margin.

Taxes are not included as a determining factor of the largest cash payouts.  If the cash option is selected by the winner, this indeed is the largest cash payout to a single ticket in history, beating the old record by around $100,000.

emerald64's avataremerald64

QP ..?   OR their own pick ??

jacintasc

Congratulations on your (potential) win!Party

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

I wouldn't check them yet if I were you. Hide your tickets in a safe place and wait to see if there is any commotion in your area. This will allow you to dream what if....

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

well if you dont check it, you can still dream that its you! maybe in a month when they say the winner hasnt come forward, if you can hold iff that long... god luck It maybe you

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Ms. SaylorGirl,

If it was you, I don't know what to say, except 'NICE HIT!'.
If it was you, please realize that billions of folks wish they could be in your place.

I hope you do the right thing, and do the Lawyer and Financial Adviser thing.

Mr. Groppo

One-Day

Congrats to the lucky winner in Indiana!  Well, I guess here comes my break from playing lottery until the Mega gets $250mil again in 25 1/2 years or so... or until Powerball (expensive) gets to the $400 mil+ range.

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jul 9, 2016

I wouldn't check them yet if I were you. Hide your tickets in a safe place and wait to see if there is any commotion in your area. This will allow you to dream what if....

I agree, might as well live in fantasyland a little longer!

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jul 9, 2016

well if you dont check it, you can still dream that its you! maybe in a month when they say the winner hasnt come forward, if you can hold iff that long... god luck It maybe you

I am pretty sure I will check them before a month is out, but might as well dream for awhile!

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Jul 9, 2016

You could be a WINNER!!Party

Have you checked yours??

dr65's avatardr65

Well, there is an address where the ticket was purchased...were you there?

ArizonaDream's avatarArizonaDream

Have you checked yours??

Location where the winning ticket was sold has been added to the article.   I won't repeat it, in case you don't want to know yet.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

WTG to the ticket holder !! 

Someone said that the person is Greedy?? Really? I call it pure blessings to purchase a ticket and be able to claim it. How is it greedy for that person? They beat the odds . 

I'd say Congrats and move on in life.

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on Jul 9, 2016

Ms. SaylorGirl,

If it was you, I don't know what to say, except 'NICE HIT!'.
If it was you, please realize that billions of folks wish they could be in your place.

I hope you do the right thing, and do the Lawyer and Financial Adviser thing.

Mr. Groppo

You hope she does the right thing? the "right thing" after she consults with attorneys and financial experts is to relocate herself and her loved ones so they can enjoy their lives while keeping a safe distance from parasites who will harass them to no end for money. If she want to be charitable then it's her choice and no one else.

You want her to realize that billions of people could be in her shoes, I find that odd because there are just over 300 million Americans that reside here. I highly doubt the billion other folks who reside in places like China or the middle east heard anything or care who the winner is. I know from your previous post you are a major fan of redistribution of wealth so in that case the winner could give .10 cents to roughly 2 billion people so that takes care of doing the "right thing".

lulu1feather

Congrats to the winner of that big ol jackpot! Wow! What a way to kick off the weekend! Going to want a few days to wrap their head around that number!

Oooh, ooh! Me next, me next! I want to know what that feels like!

dr65's avatardr65

You hope she does the right thing? the "right thing" after she consults with attorneys and financial experts is to relocate herself and her loved ones so they can enjoy their lives while keeping a safe distance from parasites who will harass them to no end for money. If she want to be charitable then it's her choice and no one else.

You want her to realize that billions of people could be in her shoes, I find that odd because there are just over 300 million Americans that reside here. I highly doubt the billion other folks who reside in places like China or the middle east heard anything or care who the winner is. I know from your previous post you are a major fan of redistribution of wealth so in that case the winner could give .10 cents to roughly 2 billion people so that takes care of doing the "right thing".

Ahh posting, if you miss something the first time around, someone is

always there to add it on for you. I'm sure Mr Groppo's point was 'do

the right/first thing' everyone talks about...get advice and go from

there. Moving far away from moochers is also something entirely up

to the winner as much as being charitable is their option too.

And with that much money, being charitable is an option 10,000 times

over.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Ms. Drenick1,

Well, not knowing her from Adam's house cat, I simply generalized
my congratulations along with what would be projected with her
new found fortune.

Please understand, have a bit more insight, and Good luck with your evening's PB!

And let's all be friends from now, on.  (at least a "nodding acquaintance")

Mr. Groppo

(good for you, groppo, respond to them, nicely, but logically.
  -should I re-edit and tell her "now put that in your pipe and smoke it" ?
      -no, don't do that, you might upset Todd.)

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Honestly, I could cry.
But I realize that eventually, it had to be somebody.

Mr. Groppo

(There, there Groppochini, there will be other drawings.)

If you like to cry when someone wins a lottery jackpot then you'll have many chances to do so.

jjtheprince

Everyone buy your Powerball tickets tonight if you want one last chance at a bigger jackpot.  Because MM was just won, PB's status is now at "impossible to lose"

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jul 9, 2016

Taxes are not included as a determining factor of the largest cash payouts.  If the cash option is selected by the winner, this indeed is the largest cash payout to a single ticket in history, beating the old record by around $100,000.

If I did marketing for the lottery I'd probably count on people being ignorant or stupid and boast about the cash value being larger than any other single prize, while I continued to promote the almost-always-fictional annuity value. Of course even as a marketer for the lottery I'd probably know that players buy tickets in hopes actually getting some real money. With extremely few exceptions those who win significant prizes lose a significant amount to taxes, and net far less than the amounts trumpeted by shills for the lottery. As such, the only sensible metric for those of us who are smart enough to know the difference between real and imaginary amounts is how much a winner actually nets.

The cash value may be about $10 million more than the previous "record", but the net winnings may be almost $15 million smaller. If Gloria McKenzie paid 39.6% on her $370.9 million gross she would have netted a bit over $224 million. A single winner paying Indiana's modest income tax of 3.3% in addition to 39.6% federal taxes  would see their take drop to about  $217 million, but counties in Indiana also have an income tax. For Tipton County it's a hair under 2%, so that would take another $7.5 million, leaving the winner with  bit under $210 million. At least that's enough to take the sting out of missing out on the bragging rights.

Tatototman65's avatarTatototman65

Congrats to the winner!

Smile

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jul 9, 2016

If I did marketing for the lottery I'd probably count on people being ignorant or stupid and boast about the cash value being larger than any other single prize, while I continued to promote the almost-always-fictional annuity value. Of course even as a marketer for the lottery I'd probably know that players buy tickets in hopes actually getting some real money. With extremely few exceptions those who win significant prizes lose a significant amount to taxes, and net far less than the amounts trumpeted by shills for the lottery. As such, the only sensible metric for those of us who are smart enough to know the difference between real and imaginary amounts is how much a winner actually nets.

The cash value may be about $10 million more than the previous "record", but the net winnings may be almost $15 million smaller. If Gloria McKenzie paid 39.6% on her $370.9 million gross she would have netted a bit over $224 million. A single winner paying Indiana's modest income tax of 3.3% in addition to 39.6% federal taxes  would see their take drop to about  $217 million, but counties in Indiana also have an income tax. For Tipton County it's a hair under 2%, so that would take another $7.5 million, leaving the winner with  bit under $210 million. At least that's enough to take the sting out of missing out on the bragging rights.

If you make a salary of $35,000 per year, I'm sure that's what you would tell someone who asks.  You would not say, "I make $32,535 per year" or whatever your after-tax amount is.  The money spent on taxes is YOUR money, but you're forced to give it to the government.  It was not the government's money.

Alex1986

Way to go to the winner in my home state of indiana! Hope this atleast makes the QP teminals improve abit around the state lol

music*'s avatarmusic*

I noticed that California did not win the jackpot. Rumours about the lottery being fixed are just that "rumours".

We will see how smart the winner/winners are in how fast they cash in. Will they claim their fifteen minutes of fame?

I sure hope that it is Saylor Girl!!

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I hope the winner steps forward and claims the cash value jackpot.

WinWinChicDin

Well this year has certainly been all about that "8th of the month"....for the megamillions at least

Congratulations to the winner/winners

Quote: Originally posted by ArizonaDream on Jul 9, 2016

Location where the winning ticket was sold has been added to the article.   I won't repeat it, in case you don't want to know yet.

Well, drats that took care of that dream!!  I never even heard of that city in Indiana!  It was a fun dream while it lasted!

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jul 9, 2016

I noticed that California did not win the jackpot. Rumours about the lottery being fixed are just that "rumours".

We will see how smart the winner/winners are in how fast they cash in. Will they claim their fifteen minutes of fame?

Thanks!  Sorry to say it was not!  But congratulations to the winner!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Jul 9, 2016

The winner now needs Asset Protection using wise counsel.  I would first purchase Umbrella Insurance also called Excess Liability Coverage. Then ask your counsel about LLC's,Limited Liability Company. Place your Living revocable Trust inside the LLC box plus all your winnings. To cover the death tax you could purchase an ILIT, an Irrevocable living insurance trust.

To help co-ordinate all these professionals you hire you could ask your CFP, Certified Financial Planner to be that person.

Hire a Medical Doctor and have him/her do house calls. Hire mental health therapists. Hire money therapists. Money psychologists.

Now comes the fun part. Investing your wealth to earn more of a free cash flow. There are so many opportunities for this winner.

This winner's adventure has just begun!Dance

jacintasc

Relax everyone!

Everybody knows that the first thing a major jackpot winner does is to contact "The Today Show".

We'll all find out everything at 7AM on Monday morning.

It is standard procedure for any major jackpot winner to fly to the Today Show in New York City before they claim their winnings at the lottery office. Everybody knows that there is no way the winning ticket will get lost or damaged on its way to The Today Show.Approve

Suzy-Dittlenose

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jul 9, 2016

Relax everyone!

Everybody knows that the first thing a major jackpot winner does is to contact "The Today Show".

We'll all find out everything at 7AM on Monday morning.

It is standard procedure for any major jackpot winner to fly to the Today Show in New York City before they claim their winnings at the lottery office. Everybody knows that there is no way the winning ticket will get lost or damaged on its way to The Today Show.Approve

lol.......duh, which-way-did-they-go-George......

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jul 9, 2016

Very tempted to drive to Indiana now and buy Powerball tickets.  Indiana is now "Can't lose"

We bought some a couple of hours ago near the Casino (Powerball) in New Albany, IN.  You watch  that baby climb rapidly  if no jackpot tonight and MM will just creep along.  At this rate I'd take anything!

Bleudog101

Have you checked yours??

I see that Cambridge City is close to the Ohio border off I70; maybe it wasn't even an Indiana resident...time will tell!

LottoLucy's avatarLottoLucy

Hiding Behind ComputerNo, no, no!  They knew that we were on to them so they let another state win.  Where the fix was in this time was the 2nd prize level on down.  They knew that there would be a lot of 2nd place and lower winners so They asked Eddie to make it a 2x for the megaplyer instead of a 5x so they could save several million on the lower prizes.

At least that is what I told myself when I only won $2 last night.   Green laugh

Seriously, congratulations to the jackpot winner and everyone who even got a few bucks back!

picktowin's avatarpicktowin

What a joke !!

1 winner that really sucks that's why I wouldn't waste a buck on any of the big jackpots .

Who in the hellll needs l that kind of money when they could have how many millionaire 's .

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by picktowin on Jul 9, 2016

What a joke !!

1 winner that really sucks that's why I wouldn't waste a buck on any of the big jackpots .

Who in the hellll needs l that kind of money when they could have how many millionaire 's .

Mr./Ms. PickToWin,

I think many/most of us can relate to your frustration.
I often think I'm the most vulnerable, of anyone, anywhere.

But yeah, I agree. Especially, when there are potentially 7.3 billion people who were competing
for the prize. But, it happened. No one else duplicated the winning number, besides Indiana.

So, I too have had that sour feeling in my stomach since around 12:50am, this morning.
I didn't even want breakfast this morning.

I certainly don't need all that cash, only $1 million, but I had my month of dreaming.

It turns out I won absolutely nothing, zip, nada, niks (Dutch), tipota (Greek), meiyou (Chinese),
asgjë (Albanian), rien (French),  nichego (Russian), kitu (Swahili), ingenting (Norwegian), nani mo (Japanese).

Mr. Groppo

jacintasc

Mr./Ms. PickToWin,

But yeah, I agree. Especially, when there are potentially 7.3 billion people who were competing
for the prize. But, it happened. No one else duplicated the winning number, besides Indiana.

So, I too have had that sour feeling in my stomach since around 12:50am, this morning.

I certainly don't need all that cash, only $1 million, but I had my month of dreaming.

It turns out I won absolutely nothing, zip, nada, niks (Dutch), tipota (Greek), meiyou (Chinese),
asgjë (Albanian), rien (French),  nichego (Russian), kitu (Swahili), ingenting (Norwegian), nani mo (Japanese).

Mr. Groppo

no win here.

I too was in disbelief for a couple hours

so I decided to mow the lawn instead. the yard never looked betterCool

Ridley

Congratulations to the lucky ticketholder or -holders, and good luck to those of you who hope to have similar success in lottery drawings tonight.

dr65's avatardr65

What a joke !!

I Agree!

QuickDrawDude's avatarQuickDrawDude

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Jul 9, 2016

I was thinking the other way around. Highly unlikely for another multi-state jackpot hit in Indiana at least for another five years considering the size of the MM jackpot.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jul 9, 2016

Congrats to the SINGLE TICKET winner!!!!! 

Dance

Hyper

Banana

Hurray!

I Agree!

That's the big dream. To win it all by yourself! (Myself!!!)

WinWinChicDin

What a joke !!

many people need or want that kind of money....which is why the frenzy kicks in when the jackpot gets that big....

If you are mad that it does not get spread out more often...

1. Maybe petition the lottery commission to set it up that way (I won't sign it...)
  2. OR, just DON'T play at all.

I don't understand why people get their knickers all in a bunch about a single winner of a large sum...that IS the nature of the game --> many, one or none at all.

Congrats winner or winners (if it's a group), it's YOUR money now. Do with it what you will. Don't feel pressured to donate to charity just because people EXPECT you to do so, it's not a precondition to win AND the money you spend on your ticket is already set to go to a good cause in the state anyone of us buys a ticket....

Good night!

What a joke !!

Want some cheese with that whine?

There also 7 people that won a million dollars. 3 won 2 million.

It's not about need. It's about winning money that takes care of yourself, your kids, and their kids for the rest of their lives.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jul 9, 2016

WTG to the ticket holder !! 

Someone said that the person is Greedy?? Really? I call it pure blessings to purchase a ticket and be able to claim it. How is it greedy for that person? They beat the odds . 

I'd say Congrats and move on in life.

This is exactly why I block your sorry posts.

Someone - not naming names but not for the reason you don't - informed

me you took yet another jab at me.

Nowhere on this thread did anyone mention, type, hint at or accuse someone

of being greedy. I posted that on the PA thread. If you misread what I wrote

as having anything to do with the winner, then your reading ability is equal

to your writing ability in that it's just lacking and strange.

I was referring to the lottery giants and their need for more by changing total

numbers used, costs per ticket, bigger more frequent advertising and an it

can happen to you induced frenzy with insane odds. They are the epitome

of GREED.

You and I go way back....I don't care about you, can you return the favor please?

See, I can be nice Big Grin

And as far as your seemingly kind, benevolent nature, you need to utilize your 

signature line and adhere to the suggestions you push on others. You use subtle

criticism and sarcasm to make a point and that is totally contrary to any blessing

you wish upon others.

T - take a chill pill

H - heed your own advice

I - ignore me if you don't like me

N - needle not that you be needled

K - keep practicing

Move on...best thing you said up there.

Oh, I think I have a new name for you...getoveritgrl.

Thanks for visiting the PA thread...you never post but you saw me mention greed.

We are pretty good over there, I understand the mixed emotions. Darn!

lookingforca$h

I think a group of 50 won it

$10 each= 500 chances to win without the megaplier or 250 with

$10.8 Mill each would still be a nice pay day

delS

Mr./Ms. PickToWin,

Mr. Groppo

It's not that anyone needs all those millions. Just as no one needs to be broke, homeless etc. It's the circumstances that the Jackpot winner found themselves in. No one on this site, if they found themselves in the circumstances of the winner, would claim a million only, and tell the lottery commission divide the rest among those who only need $1 Million.

It's no one's fault that the winner one. That's what's wrong with our country at this hour. Everyone wants to blame someone or something for why their circumstances are what they are. Millions played, only one won the Jackpot.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

This is purely an observation.
Two persons we've not seen comments from, yet, today are Dpoly1, and LiveInGreenBay.

Interestingly, they both use the same image.

I'm not implying anything, but I'd certainly have expected to see some comments from them.

Does anyone else here agree?

I'm thinking they either won, or were part of the group that won.
It's just a suspicion, but I'm usually wrong about them too.

So, if you see any comments from them, just act normal.
Don't be like "Hi LiveinGreenBay, WHERE'S MY MONEY!"

(groppo, you're hopeless)

faber98

for all of you obsessed with lists of what place all these jackpots are in lifetime maybe we need lists of the top 25 mm's won on a tuesday both cash and annuity and another for friday's both cash and annuity. same thing for powerball wednesday's and saturday's. then you will have 4 meaningless lists to stare at instead of 2. no one who has ever won cares what place they are in lifetime so why do people who are never going to win (everyone on here) care. also, this nonsense of certain states having some advantage or it being fixed for that state to win causing some idiots to actually drive to a certain state to play because they think it is lucky or it's due. news flash: some states win more often because more tickets are sold there. no other logical reason. the only thing that matters is the ticket you buy having the correct numbers on it whether you choose them or some machine does it for you. it does not matter where you buy it, when you buy it, only if you buy it. spend your time trying to find some lucky numbers instead of lamenting over jackpot amounts lifetime standings or which state has won the most times. at least this time he didn't update that list in the article. now it can actually be read much easier.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jul 9, 2016

Want some cheese with that whine?

There also 7 people that won a million dollars. 3 won 2 million.

It's not about need. It's about winning money that takes care of yourself, your kids, and their kids for the rest of their lives.

Big Smile

I like cheese...sticks, but not whine..I was disappointed also at the news

of one winning ticket. I agreed with the poster...I wish they could have 

more winners when the JP is that big. It would be nicer to see a few people

split a mega-pot.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jul 9, 2016

for all of you obsessed with lists of what place all these jackpots are in lifetime maybe we need lists of the top 25 mm's won on a tuesday both cash and annuity and another for friday's both cash and annuity. same thing for powerball wednesday's and saturday's. then you will have 4 meaningless lists to stare at instead of 2. no one who has ever won cares what place they are in lifetime so why do people who are never going to win (everyone on here) care. also, this nonsense of certain states having some advantage or it being fixed for that state to win causing some idiots to actually drive to a certain state to play because they think it is lucky or it's due. news flash: some states win more often because more tickets are sold there. no other logical reason. the only thing that matters is the ticket you buy having the correct numbers on it whether you choose them or some machine does it for you. it does not matter where you buy it, when you buy it, only if you buy it. spend your time trying to find some lucky numbers instead of lamenting over jackpot amounts lifetime standings or which state has won the most times. at least this time he didn't update that list in the article. now it can actually be read much easier.

sad

We're all sad today Farber because we didn't win. We're just trying to have some fun with our disappointment.

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Jul 9, 2016

I hope that little Timmy gets out of the well.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jul 9, 2016

sad

We're all sad today Farber because we didn't win. We're just trying to have some fun with our disappointment.

it's faber and i get it that you are all sad and are entitled to have "fun", so have it by playing powerball tonite. you still have 20 minutes or so to get some tickets or more tickets. or is that jackpot too skimpy or the 2.00 price too much. don't play though if you live in a state that never wins because that makes a difference. there are no borders on a multi-state game. buy one anywhere.

I have an observation to share. In 2015 there were a lot more jackpots hit.

For example:

As of July 8th, 2016 there have only been 6 MUSL jackpots hit (3MM and 3PB).

As of July 4th, 2015 there were 13 MUSL jackpots won (4MM and 9PB).

The reason less PB winners? Because Powerball changed their Matrix on 10/7/15 to make larger jackpots and make it harder to win.

Collectively there were 20 MUSL jackpots hit in 2015 (8MM and 12PB).

I guess Powerball is realizing their dream of less winners but bigger jackpots in 2016.

lookingforca$h

I have an observation to share. In 2015 there were a lot more jackpots hit.

For example:

As of July 8th, 2016 there have only been 6 MUSL jackpots hit (3MM and 3PB).

As of July 4th, 2015 there were 13 MUSL jackpots won (4MM and 9PB).

The reason less PB winners? Because Powerball changed their Matrix on 10/7/15 to make larger jackpots and make it harder to win.

Collectively there were 20 MUSL jackpots hit in 2015 (8MM and 12PB).

I guess Powerball is realizing their dream of less winners but bigger jackpots in 2016.

it'll probably be changed again

then we'll see a once a year win with 1B jackpots being the new normal

of course if they do that they'll have to make the lesser prizes bigger to hold people's interest

Well, drats that took care of that dream!!  I never even heard of that city in Indiana!  It was a fun dream while it lasted!

Saylorgirl, according to Wikipedia, Cambridge City is only 1sq mile in size and the population is only 1,870 (as of 2010).

Cambridge City is about 56 miles east of Indianapolis, IN (1hr dirve).

Definitely a throw back to the good Ole days.

cambridge

music*'s avatarmusic*

Saylorgirl, according to Wikipedia, Cambridge City is only 1sq mile in size and the population is only 1,870 (as of 2010).

cambridge

I am staring at the figure of Indiana on that Cambridge City sign. It looks like someone bit the lower half of the State off like a candy bar would be eaten.Scared

I just searched Indiana lottery winners and there is a picture of a badger. The Hoosier State is badger country.

I am staring at the figure of Indiana on that Cambridge City sign. It looks like someone bit the lower half of the State off like a candy bar would be eaten.Scared

I just searched Indiana lottery winners and there is a picture of a badger. The Hoosier State is badger country.

Hahaha. you're right music*. I didn't notice that. I live in NJ. What does New Jersey remind you of?

jersey

lookingforca$h

Hahaha. you're right music*. I didn't notice that. I live in NJ. What does New Jersey remind you of?

jersey

Florida is easier Wink

American Indian's avatarAmerican Indian

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Jul 9, 2016

Looking at gross this is largest single-ticket cash.

However, technically Gloria would still come out on top in real $.

Florida has no state tax on lotto

Indiana has 3.4% tax, reducing prize to about $367.08 million before Federal

Y'ALL are crazy!!! Does it really matter the exact amount to be PD out????? I hope It was a big family or a group of people, who NEEDS that much money for themselves anyway? I've always said If I were to win a HUGE or a BIG Jackpot I would take out what I need a few Million and the rest would go to helping others in my situation and those that are really in need, plus there's a lot of Charities I would love to give to!

jacintasc

Mr./Ms. PickToWin,

Mr. Groppo

oh yeah, I forgot to mention. When I went to buy my tickets, the clerk had already printed 5 tickets by mistake and offered it to me. I was certain it would be the winning ticket. Nope, it was a LOSS of 5 dollars!Confused

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by WinWinChicDin on Jul 9, 2016

many people need or want that kind of money....which is why the frenzy kicks in when the jackpot gets that big....

1. Maybe petition the lottery commission to set it up that way (I won't sign it...)

I don't understand why people get their knickers all in a bunch about a single winner of a large sum...that IS the nature of the game --> many, one or none at all.

Congrats winner or winners (if it's a group), it's YOUR money now. Do with it what you will. Don't feel pressured to donate to charity just because people EXPECT you to do so, it's not a precondition to win AND the money you spend on your ticket is already set to go to a good cause in the state anyone of us buys a ticket....

Good night!

I Agree!

cambridge

Well, thank you!  Can you imagine a city with only a population of 1,870 to win the largest single pay out in jackpot history.  It would be hard to keep that a secret!

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Jul 10, 2016

Well, thank you!  Can you imagine a city with only a population of 1,870 to win the largest single pay out in jackpot history.  It would be hard to keep that a secret!

Not to change the subject, but NJ won $1 million on Powerball last night.  That is definitely becoming a 'can't lose state'.  California had five #'s, but player got ripped off over $600K due to paramutuel requirement.

Good luck everyone for the $311 million jackpot Wednesday.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Jul 10, 2016

Lol But it could have been a family on vacation and just passing through town.

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jul 10, 2016

Not to change the subject, but NJ won $1 million on Powerball last night.  That is definitely becoming a 'can't lose state'.  California had five #'s, but player got ripped off over $600K due to paramutuel requirement.

Good luck everyone for the $311 million jackpot Wednesday.

Detailed Draw Results for California

Matching Numbers Winning Tickets Prize Amount
5 + Powerball 0 $288,000,000
5 1 $246,261
4 + Powerball 0 $63,043
4 57 $552
3 + Powerball 185 $177
3 4,579 $8
2 + Powerball 3,907 $9
1 + Powerball 31,095 $5
Powerball 76,366 $4
Total Winning Tickets 116,190

More than 600k...They only got $246,261 for 5 numbers. Everywhere else will get $1,000,000

That's a difference of $753,739 less! 

They did get $552 instead of $100 for 4 numbers and $177 instead of $100 for 3 +PB#

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jul 10, 2016

Detailed Draw Results for California

Matching Numbers Winning Tickets Prize Amount
5 + Powerball 0 $288,000,000
5 1 $246,261
4 + Powerball 0 $63,043
4 57 $552
3 + Powerball 185 $177
3 4,579 $8
2 + Powerball 3,907 $9
1 + Powerball 31,095 $5
Powerball 76,366 $4
Total Winning Tickets 116,190

More than 600k...They only got $246,261 for 5 numbers. Everywhere else will get $1,000,000

That's a difference of $753,739 less! 

They did get $552 instead of $100 for 4 numbers and $177 instead of $100 for 3 +PB#

Thanks for correcting my math!  I didn't bother to look further down @ the other results.  Sometimes their system does pay better, it did one time on MM winner got over 2.2 million $  with five #'s and Megaplier was only  two.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jul 10, 2016

That was my second thought, first being a trucker stopping by.

John99

I'll take a step back to some of the discussion a little ways back regarding "how much you get to take away" after all the cuts and everything... 

Every time I see that brought up, it comes across as people are rolling their eyes about it or whatever... Who gives a crap if you were just left with 1 or 2 million... Is anyone here honestly going to tell me that amount of money to pocket isn't worth your time? Everyone has different bugets for sure, but sometimes I see people saying they need so many millions before it could change their life... There are ways to take 1 million and make a comfortable less stressful lifestyle out of that. Most people I've known in life can easily pay off their nice homes and probably several other things and then coast comfortably for some time.

Peace of mind can be bought for amounts under 300 or 400 million... But if the dream is to have the biggest this and that and the most cars, then yeah I see where you wouldn't be able to make it work.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jul 10, 2016

My sentiments exactly! the folks in town would be mighty upset if that was the case.

Quote: Originally posted by John99 on Jul 10, 2016

I'll take a step back to some of the discussion a little ways back regarding "how much you get to take away" after all the cuts and everything... 

Every time I see that brought up, it comes across as people are rolling their eyes about it or whatever... Who gives a crap if you were just left with 1 or 2 million... Is anyone here honestly going to tell me that amount of money to pocket isn't worth your time? Everyone has different bugets for sure, but sometimes I see people saying they need so many millions before it could change their life... There are ways to take 1 million and make a comfortable less stressful lifestyle out of that. Most people I've known in life can easily pay off their nice homes and probably several other things and then coast comfortably for some time.

Peace of mind can be bought for amounts under 300 or 400 million... But if the dream is to have the biggest this and that and the most cars, then yeah I see where you wouldn't be able to make it work.

If players only wanted $1 or $2 million then they would certainly only play in state games and not waste their time or money on the MSUL but the fact is most everyone is greedy and simply wants more in order to live a certain lifestyle while having the freedom to help those THEY choose.

Quote: Originally posted by WinWinChicDin on Jul 9, 2016

Good night!

+2

music*'s avatarmusic*

jersey

golfer1960, You should change your town's name to EatOneTown,New Jersey.

From the map, I see a lot of potential lands to be developed.

May you win Power Ball this Wednesday night! Shocked

NeedyNotGreedy

I was kinda annoyed to see 1 person win the jackpot too, but I have my doubts about the whole thing.

me personally, having done lots of research on these draw games (not saying it's fact, but just based on what I've read), I think it's absolute bull<snip> that 1 ticket won. When you look at the number of tickets that won $1 or $2 prizes (not including the losers, like the 2 I bought which matched 2 of the winning numbers on different lines)...it was 7 MILLION TICKETS that made $1. How is that possible? Perhaps the numbers are being manipulated? And...how do we know it really was a winner, and not a scandal to roll it back to 15 million? 

I was already having my doubts about mega millions and random draws, but after this I'm done with it. I would be happy with $10,000 right about now. Hell, $5,000 would make some big changes right now. I rather play games with odds of 1 in 3 or 1 in 4,  rather than chase some numbers for a ridiculous sum of money which you likely won't even be able to access for awhile anyway (I wonder how long the hold on a check of many millions, not to mention the issues of trying to safely secure it). 

That said , I'm not mad at whoever won. I just don't think it's fair game. The odds are too long. You don't get anything back. I've played dozens of MM tickets, and only won $2 twice. I played two $5 scratch off games I've never played before and made $15 today. I played fantasy 5 and made $21 my first time playing.

If I really believed in mega millions, I wouldn't stop just because someone won. The game isn't over, the draws are going to continue. I'd just have to dream a smaller jackpot. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

dr65's avatardr65

I agree with you Needy...the odds are awful but for how high this JP was and how

many tickets must have been sold, to have one winner is grounds for not playing.

$1 with all the hype isn't worth it. I noticed on some ads for lottery on radio stations

here in PA curiously were missing the: if you or someone you know has a gambling

problem, call xxxxx.…I thought about this and at the time the PA raffle was falling short

in sales and the MM was increasing in jp size. I'll make sure to listen and see if the

ads are back to normal now. If anyone thinks these games are offered because the

lottery thinks people deserve more options, bigger prizes, more fun and the notion

that states are serving them, they need to open their eyes.

I do not begrudge any winner, just the amount of winners. How many weeks did people

buy tickets, win measly prizes or no prizes and they are ok with that? It's a bad game

with a rotten prize structure. I had 4 tickets. I'm not mad cause I didn't win and I played

to take a shot at the pot...I'm over not winning, I never win that game but not over the 

point people are missing when they say stop complaining about 1 winner. They 

think, what the heck, I spent one or a few bucks for a chance at millions. Everyone thinks

that on an individual level...the lottery thinks in millions too: of people and the money they

are spending. Does everyone like the matrix change? I find it hard to believe if they say yes.

It didn't benefit players but that's who is eyeing the prize. Someone said there were 7? Million 

dollar prize winners? Wow, pitiful. If someone wants to get excited with rollovers and a chance

to win, ok. Just try and understand some other points of view about the game. Why is it wrong

to think there should have been more winners when you are thinking about your dollar or ten

that got you nothing was a small price for a prize? When it could have had a better chance at

something if the structure was a little bit better? It's the structure that stinks and who the real

winners are with it in place.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

Quote: Originally posted by NeedyNotGreedy on Jul 10, 2016

I was kinda annoyed to see 1 person win the jackpot too, but I have my doubts about the whole thing.

me personally, having done lots of research on these draw games (not saying it's fact, but just based on what I've read), I think it's absolute bull<snip> that 1 ticket won. When you look at the number of tickets that won $1 or $2 prizes (not including the losers, like the 2 I bought which matched 2 of the winning numbers on different lines)...it was 7 MILLION TICKETS that made $1. How is that possible? Perhaps the numbers are being manipulated? And...how do we know it really was a winner, and not a scandal to roll it back to 15 million? 

I was already having my doubts about mega millions and random draws, but after this I'm done with it. I would be happy with $10,000 right about now. Hell, $5,000 would make some big changes right now. I rather play games with odds of 1 in 3 or 1 in 4,  rather than chase some numbers for a ridiculous sum of money which you likely won't even be able to access for awhile anyway (I wonder how long the hold on a check of many millions, not to mention the issues of trying to safely secure it). 

That said , I'm not mad at whoever won. I just don't think it's fair game. The odds are too long. You don't get anything back. I've played dozens of MM tickets, and only won $2 twice. I played two $5 scratch off games I've never played before and made $15 today. I played fantasy 5 and made $21 my first time playing.

If I really believed in mega millions, I wouldn't stop just because someone won. The game isn't over, the draws are going to continue. I'd just have to dream a smaller jackpot. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I think it was in the 80's.

I wasn't really a lottery player, but, I played the big game in Illinois.

It was a big hype about it , like recently in Power ball and Mega millions.

I had 3 or 4 numbers, I think I won $10, or something like that, lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooo, me and 33,333 other people.

I thought , because of the amount of the Jackpot, I would win more? 

After that, I was over the big games, lmaoooooooooooooooooooo.

Good Luck.

Have you checked yours??

Saylorgirl, i got my tickets in Michigan then Indiana wins that's the way it goes.Yawn

Zebekyia

To all of the conspiracy theorists.  Yes, it drives me nuts to see California, Florida, New York etc.. win all the time, but:

This is the only 2nd Mega Millions jackpot sold in Indiana, however Indiana still has the most PB wins in the nation (38) mostly thanks to how we were the only state in the area with Powerball back in the day. We used to have Illinois and Ohio pouring over the borders to buy up tickets, so as you will see eventually New York, California, Florirda etc.. will eventually decrown us if not Pennsylvania first.  The thing I found odd was we would typically have 5-6 2nd prize winners a year, however we have had very few in the last few years.  The latest being the Powerball 2nd prize won a few draws ago.  I think it goes with the massive decline in sales seen in the state due to all states being MM and PB for the most part now.

Quote: Originally posted by NeedyNotGreedy on Jul 10, 2016

It's not only possible, it's probable. Why? Well....... there are over 258 MILLION reasons.

I play several games here in Tx including MM and PB. I would be happy with a Tx 2 Step win, although I couldn't retire on it. But, with MM and PB, I could retire on second prize. And that's why it's worth it for me to play.

As far as the conspiracy thing about numbers being manipulated. Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever. Again, look at the number of combinations and tell me how big it is. They don't need to rig anything with odds like those. The odds are why the jackpot grows to what it did and will again.

Good luck!

I just went through USA Mega and counted a total of 333 second prize PB and MM winners for the year. Already 53 for the first 9 days of July thanks to the MM jackpot run.

I didn't count how many were megaplied or powerplayed (plus CA doesn't have those).

Would anybody turn down at least a million dollars?

bigbear29

No I would not, but 333 second prize pb and mm is very small.

syntra

happy to the florida lottery winners of the big jackpot; mr. mugga the black pop!!!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation to the winner/s... Hurray!

jacintasc

Ridiculous.

People complaining that there was 1 winner.

If the same people who are complaining on this thread actually was the sole winner. Then there would be no complaints.

BS

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jul 11, 2016

Ridiculous.

People complaining that there was 1 winner.

If the same people who are complaining on this thread actually was the sole winner. Then there would be no complaints.

BS

I Agree!

Some want the money spread among several winners. They forgot MUSL tried that with the Monopoly game. We saw how that worked out.

Almost every draw there are second prize winners winning at least $1 million.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Here in California, I will keep after all taxes $133.7 million. This is an unbelievable amount of money.

I have been reminded by other LP members to not forget about creating an LLC, Limited Liability Company.

I will not be at the Lottery Office the next day. I need time to get my ducks in a row. I will store my ticket in a safe deposit box. 

I will have my Trust & Estate Attorney create a Living Revocable Trust and place it inside my LLC. I do not want my Estate going through Probate here in Cali.

I will need Umbrella Insurance also called Excess Liability Insurance. 

I will contact The Mutual Fund Store. Mutual Funds are boring but safe. 

I will decline the Press Availability and the grip and grin photo shoot. The Lottery Office will post a picture of my ticket on their website.

I will run by our fearless leader here, Todd, a written statement which will include who Todd is and what LP and USAMEGA are before giving it to the Press.

Dance

"Mutual Funds are boring but safe."

Your list should include not believing everything salespeople tell you. Investing in mutual funds is no different than any other investment in financial markets. The only advantages they offer are that they make it easy to put a lot of eggs in your basket, and some are no load funds (of course they still pay themselves by taking a chunk of  the earnings). There's nothing magical about being a mutual fund that makes the individual investments any better or any worse than if you bought them yourself.

Most reasonable investments do well over longer periods, but short term losses can be significant. It's obviously unlikely that a fund with hundreds of individual investments will  go completely belly up, but if the market as a whole does poorly then anything invested in the market can be expected to do poorly.  Take a look at what happened to most mutual funds when just about everything went south in 2008 and decide if you still think mutual funds fit your definition of safe.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jul 11, 2016

It's not only possible, it's probable. Why? Well....... there are over 258 MILLION reasons.

I play several games here in Tx including MM and PB. I would be happy with a Tx 2 Step win, although I couldn't retire on it. But, with MM and PB, I could retire on second prize. And that's why it's worth it for me to play.

As far as the conspiracy thing about numbers being manipulated. Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever. Again, look at the number of combinations and tell me how big it is. They don't need to rig anything with odds like those. The odds are why the jackpot grows to what it did and will again.

Good luck!

I agree with the logistics. Thank you for being concise.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jul 12, 2016

Here in California, I will keep after all taxes $133.7 million. This is an unbelievable amount of money.

I have been reminded by other LP members to not forget about creating an LLC, Limited Liability Company.

I will not be at the Lottery Office the next day. I need time to get my ducks in a row. I will store my ticket in a safe deposit box. 

I will have my Trust & Estate Attorney create a Living Revocable Trust and place it inside my LLC. I do not want my Estate going through Probate here in Cali.

I will need Umbrella Insurance also called Excess Liability Insurance. 

I will contact The Mutual Fund Store. Mutual Funds are boring but safe. 

I will decline the Press Availability and the grip and grin photo shoot. The Lottery Office will post a picture of my ticket on their website.

I will run by our fearless leader here, Todd, a written statement which will include who Todd is and what LP and USAMEGA are before giving it to the Press.

Dance

You know Music, I think you will win. You certainly have your head on your shoulders.

California has an excellent 26 page or so informational pamphlet on  what to do if you win the lottery...I printed mine about 10 years ago still waiting for the big win.

osmannica2001

Saying that a person beat the odds, sounds incorrect, since the math is true. 1 person out of hundred of millions that played has won.

Boomchikawahwah

This winner is richer than Gloria and each of the 3 who won the big one!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

Quote: Originally posted by Zebekyia on Jul 11, 2016

To all of the conspiracy theorists.  Yes, it drives me nuts to see California, Florida, New York etc.. win all the time, but:

This is the only 2nd Mega Millions jackpot sold in Indiana, however Indiana still has the most PB wins in the nation (38) mostly thanks to how we were the only state in the area with Powerball back in the day. We used to have Illinois and Ohio pouring over the borders to buy up tickets, so as you will see eventually New York, California, Florirda etc.. will eventually decrown us if not Pennsylvania first.  The thing I found odd was we would typically have 5-6 2nd prize winners a year, however we have had very few in the last few years.  The latest being the Powerball 2nd prize won a few draws ago.  I think it goes with the massive decline in sales seen in the state due to all states being MM and PB for the most part now.

I Agree!Yes, i have notice that also!

I read that the winner has contacted Indiana lottery officials and will be having a representative claiming the prize. Smart move!

Albeone

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Jul 29, 2016

I read that the winner has contacted Indiana lottery officials and will be having a representative claiming the prize. Smart move!

Yep, a Indiana family is claiming the winnings through an LLC to protect their privacy. Smart move indeed.

Congratulations to the Hamilton County family!!  Enjoy your newfound wealth!!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congrats to the winners!Party

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story