One Powerball ticket worth $487 million sold in New Hampshire

Jul 31, 2016, 6:32 pm (37 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

Folks in New Hampshire are eager to learn who among them holds the winning ticket to a $487 million Powerball jackpot.

The New Hampshire Lottery has announced that the winning ticket was sold at the Hannaford Supermarket on Freetown Road in Raymond, a southern New Hampshire town of about 10,000.

According to officials, this marks the 10th winning Powerball ticket sold in New Hampshire and the first since 2007. By far, it is the largest jackpot-winning ticket ever sold in the state.

"As the first lottery in the nation, the New Hampshire Lottery has a long tradition of creating winners," said Charlie McIntyre, executive director of the New Hampshire Lottery Commission. "We even like to say that New Hampshire invented lucky. That statement could not be more accurate as we are thrilled that the fifth largest Powerball jackpot was sold right here in New Hampshire. Some lucky New Hampshire Lottery player is waking up a winner this morning."

The winning numbers were 11, 17, 21, 23, and 32, with Powerball number 5. The Power Play number was 2.

Saturday's drawing was the eighth-largest US lottery jackpot ever. It was initially estimated to be $478 million, but after all proceeds were counted just before draw time, the final tally brought the jackpot to $487 million.

The lump sum option is worth $336.8 million, the eighth-largest US lottery jackpot cash value in history.

In addition to the New Hampshire jackpot winner, last night 15 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 3 from California, 1 from Florida, 3 from Georgia, 1 from Nebraska, 1 from New Hampshire, 2 from Pennsylvania, 1 from South Carolina, 1 from Tennessee, 1 from Washington, and 1 from West Virginia.

The California second-prize winners each will be awarded $785,065 because California does not award fixed prizes. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Out of the 15 second-prize tickets, only one of the tickets from Pennsylvania was purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per play, doubling their prize to $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.

141 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $50,000. Of those tickets, 20 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $100,000, and 19 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $9,028 this drawing.

Powerball is played in 44 states, as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The Powerball jackpot resets to $40,000,000 for the next drawing to be held Wednesday, August 3.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

destinycreation

The company "Steve Player" [headquartered in New Hampshire] could have won the PB Jackpot with a Quick Pick !!!     How ironic if "he" did !!!   Green laugh

WinWinChicDin

Congrats to the lucky winners.

If this is not a true case of just how random the lottery is then I really don't know. Some draws we get no jackpot and no 2 prize winners

Then this draw we have a total of 16 tickets that matched the first 5 numbers alone...I wonder how many "duplicate" tickets are out there with each draw that never hits the jackpot. 

It just shows that it could anyone of us and any darn time...just keep at it and it may be your lucky day

Bleudog101

Not too far away from the Massachusetts border, maybe a homie won it.  Frequently winners play and win in Mass. from New Hampshire.  Am hoping it is someone from NH that won though.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to the winner in New Hampshire! 

I am grateful that Power Ball starts at $40,000,000.00

msharkey2001's avatarmsharkey2001

I think it unlikely that Player won. I haven't seen Steve's name in the NH lottery monthly winners list for anything for quite some time now. Anyways I always love to see a massive jackpot won by a small state, and even more so when it's MY small state. Way to go! Live free or die.

noise-gate

Probably won by a 60 something  grandmother. Banana Your new found wealth. 

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by WinWinChicDin on Jul 31, 2016

Congrats to the lucky winners.

If this is not a true case of just how random the lottery is then I really don't know. Some draws we get no jackpot and no 2 prize winners

Then this draw we have a total of 16 tickets that matched the first 5 numbers alone...I wonder how many "duplicate" tickets are out there with each draw that never hits the jackpot. 

It just shows that it could anyone of us and any darn time...just keep at it and it may be your lucky day

Mr./Ms. WinWinChicDin,

Thank you, and that is truly my thinking.
I congratulate the 15 winners as well (if they all came forward, so far).

But doggone it, 1 jackpot winner, again.

Mr. Groppo

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

How about those 19 California 4 + 1 winners that will get only $9,028 instead of $50,000?

All I can say about that is.... WOW!

quicksloth35

Huge congrats to the winners! Quick! While everyone's attention is on NH, win the $40-90 Mil PB / MM jackpot!

Tatototman65's avatarTatototman65

Congrats to the winner/s!!!

Smile

Redd55

141 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $50,000. Of those tickets, 20 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $100,000, and 19 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $9,028 this drawing.

What a rip of for Californians. Roll Eyes

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Here's the lucky store that sold the solo winning ticket:

hannaford

It's a small town with a population of 10K people and 29 sq miles. The town was incorporated in 1764. It's quaint, old school and beautiful. Will the new millionaires pack up and move to Florida?

raymond, nh

Kingofearth's avatarKingofearth

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Jul 31, 2016

How about those 19 California 4 + 1 winners that will get only $9,028 instead of $50,000?

All I can say about that is.... WOW!

But if there was only 1 winner, that winner would get 170,000+ and (s)he wouldn't even need to put in the extra dollar for powerplay. 2+1 to 4+1 tends to have big prize pools so if you manage to be the only one (or a handful) then you could make quite a lot. 5+0 though almost always sucks regardless of the amount of winners.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"The company "Steve Player" [headquartered in New Hampshire] could have won the PB Jackpot with a Quick Pick !!!"

"

xstreamgaming15's avatarxstreamgaming15

California's lottery is broken because of this stupid peri mutuel law it sucks. If I ever won a 5/6 powerball or mega millions ticket that's worth less than a million I'd donate it charity Then cash it in. Sometimes I wish I could move to Arizona and play lottery there.

Lildarryl

steve player and associates won. 

Omg.

noahproblem

I guess we finally found somebody who loves Raymond...

(It wasn't me - I bought 5 tickets at home in MA then bought 2 more while on a day trip to ME so I can almost say I missed it by *that* much.)

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by destinycreation on Jul 31, 2016

The company "Steve Player" [headquartered in New Hampshire] could have won the PB Jackpot with a Quick Pick !!!     How ironic if "he" did !!!   Green laugh

That would be Amazing I Agree!

MaximumMillions

Well, everybody who feels burned can play the SuperEnalotto, Jackpot is 116M€, the odds are great, at just about 1:600 000 000...

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by xstreamgaming15 on Aug 1, 2016

California's lottery is broken because of this stupid peri mutuel law it sucks. If I ever won a 5/6 powerball or mega millions ticket that's worth less than a million I'd donate it charity Then cash it in. Sometimes I wish I could move to Arizona and play lottery there.

l gather by your remark xstream that you are one of the recent winners who was not paid out the full $50k? Nevertheless, congrats man.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Wishing , only the best of luck to the winner..PartyUS FlagParty

Get paid's avatarGet paid

Umn Had 4 of the numbers with power play could I be on to something.Lottery Gods do ur stuff.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Aug 1, 2016

Wishing , only the best of luck to the winner..PartyUS FlagParty

what kind of luck will he or she need. used up a lifetime of luck to hit it in the first place. won't need any more "luck" from here on in. they don't have to be lucky to avoid squandering it all. just smart. financial advisors are licking their chops to get their hands on this. they will be the "lucky" ones. insidious to wish someone "luck" after winning 484m. maybe before but not after.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by xstreamgaming15 on Aug 1, 2016

You know how I feel about it!  If you ever look up the Mass. lottery website and see when they have their semi-annual on MM/PB.  You get seven weeks free during sale time.  Downside no Powerplay or Megaplier, but no para-mutuel.  Might be worth the trip for you. 

Just received my Powerball Season ticket today!

noise-gate

Since we have been told that we live in a " Cannot Lose State"  that means sooner or later a majority of the playing public in California will win the jackpot. Parachute or not.

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I reckon I'll have to wait to get my new hoopties. Dag nab it.

2016 Cadillac CT6:

ct6

And the 2016 Ford Explorer:

explorer

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

$2 Investment Turned Into $487 Million? I bought an Starbucks coffee with my $2.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

It doesn't matter what state a person lives in, whether it's a small or large, the odds are always the same, when a lottery ticket is purchased.

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Aug 2, 2016

It doesn't matter what state a person lives in, whether it's a small or large, the odds are always the same, when a lottery ticket is purchased.

about half the people here actually believe that they have to travel to a lucky state to purchase tickets because they live in a state that hardly ever produces one. if they can't they believe that specific stores are luckier than others when of course they are located on state borders which sell more tickets thus producing more winners. these same people also believe you shouldn't walk under ladders or if you see a black cat you are in for some bad luck. they have trouble understanding if a certain state sells 10 times more tickets than theirs then more winners will come from that state. the only thing that matters is the numbers you fill out on your card which is totally in your control or the timing of a clerks finger on a button for a quick pic. refreshing larry, you are one of a few that get it.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Aug 1, 2016

what kind of luck will he or she need. used up a lifetime of luck to hit it in the first place. won't need any more "luck" from here on in. they don't have to be lucky to avoid squandering it all. just smart. financial advisors are licking their chops to get their hands on this. they will be the "lucky" ones. insidious to wish someone "luck" after winning 484m. maybe before but not after.

There are a few hours of shows that show you how unlucky some of these people are . A lot of them are broke at about five years AFTER the big win..THAT"s why I wished them good luck..Don't be a sore loser..Please get so help for that ...PartyUS FlagParty

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Aug 2, 2016

$2 Investment Turned Into $487 Million? I bought an Starbucks coffee with my $2.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

YES , THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO WAKE UP TO FIND OUT YOUR THE ONLY TICKET HOLDER TO $487 MILLION . OL WELL .. BACK TO WORK  , FOR NOW PartyUS FlagParty

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Aug 3, 2016

about half the people here actually believe that they have to travel to a lucky state to purchase tickets because they live in a state that hardly ever produces one. if they can't they believe that specific stores are luckier than others when of course they are located on state borders which sell more tickets thus producing more winners. these same people also believe you shouldn't walk under ladders or if you see a black cat you are in for some bad luck. they have trouble understanding if a certain state sells 10 times more tickets than theirs then more winners will come from that state. the only thing that matters is the numbers you fill out on your card which is totally in your control or the timing of a clerks finger on a button for a quick pic. refreshing larry, you are one of a few that get it.

I walked right under a ladder at work the other day.

Thought it might bring me good luck instead of bad luck.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to this jackpot winning ticket in New Hampshire. This is the 2nd time in the year 2016 that the Powerball jackpot winning ticket was a California Super Lotto Plus pick.

Unluckyone's avatarUnluckyone

A lot is mentioned about Steve Players, is he a regular here on LP? I haven't noticed any post by him yet unless he goes by an alias.

OneTrickpony's avatarOneTrickpony

Quote: Originally posted by Unluckyone on Aug 6, 2016

A lot is mentioned about Steve Players, is he a regular here on LP? I haven't noticed any post by him yet unless he goes by an alias.

Was thinking the same thing.  Who is this guy?  The old guard needs to enlighten us 'newbies'.

destinycreation

Quote: Originally posted by OneTrickpony on Aug 7, 2016

Was thinking the same thing.  Who is this guy?  The old guard needs to enlighten us 'newbies'.

Steve Player is the name of a company that specializes in creating paper & pen lottery systems for Pick 3/4, 5/6, PB/MM.  The website is Steve player dot com.

Lots of lottery systems to choose from, but some are quite expensive.

Unluckyone's avatarUnluckyone

Quote: Originally posted by destinycreation on Aug 7, 2016

Steve Player is the name of a company that specializes in creating paper & pen lottery systems for Pick 3/4, 5/6, PB/MM.  The website is Steve player dot com.

Lots of lottery systems to choose from, but some are quite expensive.

Ok, now I understand. Thank you so much!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story