Lottery winner who spent $20M on boyfriend's bail money to appear on 'Fix My Life' series

Aug 24, 2016, 6:07 pm (62 comments)

After the Big Win

BOLIVIA, N.C. — A North Carolina woman who spent part of her $188 million lottery jackpot bailing her boyfriend out of jail is due to appear on a Fix My Life reality series.

Marie Holmes, who won a $188 Powerball jackpot in 2015, made headlines when she spent more than $20 million of her newfound fortune bailing her boyfriend, Lamar "Hot Sauce" McDow, out of jail on multiple occasions.

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced Holmes is slated to appear on Iyanla: Fix My Life in September. The network said Holmes recorded her interview with self-help guru Iyanla Vanzant just 48 hours before McDow was slated to report for a 10 year prison sentence after pleading guilty to drug charges.

OWN said the interview will see Vanzant attempt "to help Marie cope with her new fortune before she loses it all."

Holmes' lotto winnings have also been put to good use in the form of buying school supplies for 300 children and making a $680,000 donation to the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church in Brunswick County.

Thanks to MaximumMillions for the tip.

UPI

Comments

LiveInGreenBay's avatarLiveInGreenBay

Wow, I can tell right now this is going to be a hot topic.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Twitch  (insert prayers for both Todd's nerves and the servers that this great forum is on)

I think its pretty sad when a lottery winner has to appear on a program called "Fix my life".

lejardin's avatarlejardin

Especially by an Oprah Winfrey production.  Just more $$$ for her.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

An attempt is being made .Time and effort will show the results.

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Aug 24, 2016

Yea I'm sure Oprah will make her see the light.  LOL

LottoAce's avatarLottoAce

Quote: Originally posted by LiveInGreenBay on Aug 24, 2016

Yea I'm sure Oprah will make her see the light.  LOL

she could follow in her footsteps...I can see it now. "first fix my life" then an appearance on "The lottery ruined my life"
and then after that maybe she'll start her own crappy Springer Spin off.
Its pitiful. its like the universe is rewarding the crazies.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Plan your post-win life now before you win. Write down your dreams. 

Dance

Bleudog101

another one who will have her dirty laundry all over TV; can't wait for this  to air.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skepticalits been 1 year 6 months and a hand full of days since she got that lucky  ........

and at that time I caught a chit storm for my original comment and not congratulating her first

should be a most curious to see how things may and not change

Lurking

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I never liked that Fix my life woman. She is kind of a bully and I believe she lost all of her fortune once. She stabbed Oprah in the back by agreeing to her own series with a competitor and it failed. And then Oprah forgave her and gave her a show. But I will watch...lol.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 24, 2016

Skepticalits been 1 year 6 months and a hand full of days since she got that lucky  ........

and at that time I caught a chit storm for my original comment and not congratulating her first

should be a most curious to see how things may and not change

Lurking

Change your name to tomato sauce and you can be her next boyfriend.

As for me, I am waiting for hot sauce to get out of prison so we can have children named apple sauce, hollandaise sauce, and the baby will be called peanut sauce.

EdG1955

I'm reminded of that old saying -- Ya can't fix stupid.

Jorli D's avatarJorli D

I Agree!

sully16's avatarsully16

Hope so, for her kids sake as well.

quicksloth35

$20 million is a ton of scratch! I just hope she has some left. I also hope they teach her how to handle whatever she has left. The TV cameras aren't a good idea, either. Attracts new "bottles of hot sauce", if you know what I mean. Fix your life without broadcasting it to the world, leave Oprah out of it!

Redd55

I think prison gangs will be using the boyfriend to extort money from her, i.e., give us the cash or your bf will be seriously hurt.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Aug 24, 2016

As for me, I am waiting for hot sauce to get out of prison so we can have children named apple sauce, hollandaise sauce, and the baby will be called peanut sauce.

Green laugh

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

This is a bad idea for her to go on this show. People will see the show and move in to take advantage of her (including Oprah). I don't like it. I feel sorry for her. Please cancel this TV appearance Marie Holmes and get advice privately. Seeking fame for revealing your problems when you have won $188M will only invite trouble. Please don't do this show.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Aug 25, 2016

This is a bad idea for her to go on this show. People will see the show and move in to take advantage of her (including Oprah). I don't like it. I feel sorry for her. Please cancel this TV appearance Marie Holmes and get advice privately. Seeking fame for revealing your problems when you have won $188M will only invite trouble. Please don't do this show.

I agree, golfer1960! 

Marie, you're still mighty wealthy.  So, instead of doing this intrusive show, just hire a good life organizer coach and financial planning coach.  During the next 12 months, have each spend 1.5 hours per week with you face-to-face, then spend the rest of the week doing daily homework assignments from each.  It will feel good to gain an understanding of your money, and enjoy spreading it around intelligently and even some whimsically for your family's joys.

Star

adamc224

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Aug 24, 2016

CheersROFL

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

she can always do Dr. Phil.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

IT'S HER MONEY. She can piss-on-it if she feels like it. Helping a "loved" one is not a crime, but helping a criminal repeat offender might be considered plain stupid.

With her luck, she might even end up with her own RADIO/TV SHOW. Life is funny.

Lynn-Lynn's avatarLynn-Lynn

Im so glad someone is trying to help her. Hope they can reach her before it to late. With hot sauce in jail maybe she can move on. This way she can devote her time with her children. Right now this young lady should be having the time of her life with her kids.

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

The $3 mil bond and the $6 mil bond and about $1.5 mil in bail fees are gone forever, but the $12 mil bond she should get back since "Hot Sauce" is in the cooler now.

So, in total, she lost about $10.5 mil worth of bond money.

She also donated $680,000 to her church and gave away free backpacks and school supplies for 400 kids through the Marie Holmes foundation.

scentcrazy

Thank goodness for this! Maybe she can talk some sense into her.

Hope she finds someone else and moves on with her life.  But something tells me when this guy "hot sauce" gets out of prison, things are going to go very badly for her.

quicksloth35

Quote: Originally posted by LiveInGreenBay on Aug 25, 2016

Hope she finds someone else and moves on with her life.  But something tells me when this guy "hot sauce" gets out of prison, things are going to go very badly for her.

Hopefully she gains the sense to move away before Hot Sauce gets out of the fridge. She will hopefully reach for some Mild Sauce or maybe some Salsa.

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

The help she needs is more than just money management.  Roll Eyes

On tv to get help?  C'mon   !    I agree with the above comment...find sound advice privately by a trusted professional.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 18, 2024

I'll say hello and goodbye at the same time...since you won't be here for long !

noise-gate

The ties that bind. 

EZMONEE's avatarEZMONEE

Is this about Marie Holmes "The lottery winner" or Marie Holmes "The young black female."  Either way i think both could use some good advice!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by EZMONEE on Aug 25, 2016

Is this about Marie Holmes "The lottery winner" or Marie Holmes "The young black female."  Either way i think both could use some good advice!

I Believe it is the same Girl.... I hope she don't end up like Cynthia Stafford.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Aug 25, 2016

I'll say hello and goodbye at the same time...since you won't be here for long !

LOL

Quote: Originally posted by quicksloth35 on Aug 25, 2016

Hopefully she gains the sense to move away before Hot Sauce gets out of the fridge. She will hopefully reach for some Mild Sauce or maybe some Salsa.

Mild Sauce?  LOL!

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by TheMeatman2005 on Aug 25, 2016

The $3 mil bond and the $6 mil bond and about $1.5 mil in bail fees are gone forever, but the $12 mil bond she should get back since "Hot Sauce" is in the cooler now.

She also donated $680,000 to her church and gave away free backpacks and school supplies for 400 kids through the Marie Holmes foundation.

if she indeed lost 10.5 million which i doubt on bail fees etc. she still has plenty left. actually if he didn't get jailed he would have drained even more out of her more than likely. so it was worth it to get rid of him. a lousy 10m won't make any difference in her future endeavors. she did fine and will continue to do fine.

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

I think all she lost was the 10% she paid the bail bondsman. If she had paid the entire amount up front she would have gotten all of it back once hotsauce showed up for his trial and sentencing phase.

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 25, 2016

I Believe it is the same Girl.... I hope she don't end up like Cynthia Stafford.

Marie Holmes has quite a bit more money than Cynthia Stafford and it seems that she isn't as spendthrift either other than incurring the huge bail expense with hotsauce. With some good counseling, she will be fine as long as she listens and sticks to the financial plan they set up for her.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Quote: Originally posted by EdG1955 on Aug 24, 2016

I'm reminded of that old saying -- Ya can't fix stupid.

Also. a lottery win does not change someone and make them a better person it only magnifies their flaws.

dr65's avatardr65

The last thing she needs is more attention. She should just stay out of the news, off the networks, away from hot sauce

and take care of her kids. She has enough money to be a private person and also get help privately. She's still making

bad choices. Whatever she's prompted to say there will be public info, whatever she shares will be dissected and judged.

If she had done things quietly, she'd be off the radar now...but bailing out that loser wasn't quiet and won't be off the

radar for a long time. I predict more problems. Too bad because she could have had a pretty good darn life.

Why was bail set so high?  Sure the guy is a <snip> but geezzzz.  You'd think 100K would have covered it.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Aug 25, 2016

OK,  they're gone faster than I thought !

Quote: Originally posted by LottoAce on Aug 24, 2016

she could follow in her footsteps...I can see it now. "first fix my life" then an appearance on "The lottery ruined my life"
and then after that maybe she'll start her own crappy Springer Spin off.
Its pitiful. its like the universe is rewarding the crazies.

Green laugh

Subscribe to this news story